Type keyword(s) to search

Kim Richards: No Escape from Witch Mountain

• Start Topic

Whew!  Miss this board for a day or two, and you really do miss news!!  So, Kim has been arrested for shoplifting.  I can hardly believe it!  $600 worth is quite a haul.  I can only think that Kim is not only an alcoholic, and not only a drug addict.  She is, IMHO, completely off the beam.  She needs really serious psychiatric treatment under a court order, and she should not be allowed to leave until a psychiatrist reports to the court that she is ready to TRY living on the outside.  Her thinking is so screwed up that she can't think straight and can't make simple decisions on her own.  Her mind is shot.  This is really a sad situation not only for herself but for her relatives and especially her children.

• Love 7

The Daily News reached out to Kim for a comment:

“Now is not a good time. I’m looking at a house,” the troubled – and reportedly homeless – reality star said when reached by the Daily News on her phone."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/kim-richards-arrested-shoplifting-target-report-article-1.2313885ET

ETA: People are tweeting support to Kathy HIlton and she is thanking them.    In the middle of all of it is this tweet

258vz9w.jpg

No clue what Dr. Drew said.....

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 1

I get why people want Kim to take accountability but at this point (IMO) it doesn't matter if she is sorry for her actions or doesn't give a fuck. She's essentially a very well-heeled dead woman walking. No 50-something who is happy and/or in her right mind shoplifts or assaults police officers. If hitting rock bottom is necessary for her to recover, fine. I feel it's a shame/punishment-based philosophy, but maybe it works. It just seems from an outside perspective that traditional rehab doesn't work for Kim. I sort of feel like telling her to embrace the steps is like telling a schizophrenic person to stop hearing voices. She's so far gone. I think an Amanda Bynes/Britney Spears-style long term involuntary commitment might be her best shot.

Another possibility for why this happened -- this is neither defense nor condemnation, and IMO she probably WAS drunk -- is that people recovering from addiction are more prone to poor impulse control because their brains are still trying to compensate for the lack of a chemical high. Compulsive exercise, shoplifting, becoming fanatical about a religion or cause are all relatively common. Self-sabotage is also extremely common. Oops, I fucked up, I'm ashamed, I'll never be ok,  I might as well drink.

To me it is not necessary for her to be shamed but it would be nice if she apologized to the people around her for the way she has treated them.  The maddening thing is when she trots out the "I love my sobriety/I'm fine now" line.  We know that nothing has changed.  If she took the step to apologize to somebody publicly, we would know that the logjam has been broken.  We are reduced to pointing and laughing at her antics when I think that a lot of people would get behind her if we saw some effort on her part.  So far zero effort.  She's just evading, trying to slip by.

As far as the news reports saying different things about Kim's current situation (she's living out of her car/she's couch surfing, etc...), I think the could all be true.  Being in Kim's inner circle these days is a lot like being in a game of musical chairs where you don't want to be the last one in the game.  Kyle and her family are gone, Kathy and her family are gone, Monty is back staying with ex No 2, Brooke is out, Chad might not be much help, Whitney is out, Kimberly probably does not have much resources, the Davis' hate her.  I believe she mentioned two friends she had in response to an article saying that she had no friends (source Brandi?) and one of those friends was Kay Rozario's daughter.  Cross her off the list.  So Kim's available couches have gotten fewer and fewer and she may have spent a night or two in a car.

Also, there was an article a few weeks back about her leaving her last house in a shambles.  It was probably dirty and she may have only packed up a suitcase or two. I can picture all her day to day stuff left there with Kim at the door and her key won't work now.  In the past there were people to pack for her and see about her stuff - those days are gone.  It makes sense that she needed to go to Target to replace what she left behind.  It doesn't make sense that she thought she could get away without paying for three carts of stuff. 

I haven't  figured out the toys.

• Love 10

I haven't  figured out the toys.

The toys are a mystery.  

I read a comment under one of the news articles that claimed she brought her own bags into Target (plastic bag ban?) and that she had filled them with vodka bottles.  I don't remember where I saw it.

Do Target stores in LA sell liquor?   Can you bring your own bags?

Because if so, I can almost see it - placing bottles in a bag and then cushioning them with stuffed animals, etc? Then I can see her trying to walk out with her bags all nice and full.

I don't know - the comment intrigued me for some reason.

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 2

I don't see her willingly doing anything, at this point, and I feel like she needs to see some jail time.  Rehab doesn't mean anything to her and unless she qualifies for involuntary committal, she has the right to not seek medical help.  Her family could try the "If you don't do this, then this will happen." routine, but I suspect it's old hat at this point and beyond pointless to keep re-engaging her with it.  They might have to cut go ahead and cut her off, without the ultimatums and without giving any reasons, and let her sort it all out and decide what her life will be about.

I think the family needs to step back....Kim has to either sink or swim....she has to do it all on her own. Imo, all the family does is coddle her...this is Kim's battle to either win or lose.....and I really think she's going to lose it
  • Love 8

Thanks BlackMamba!

I don't know much about Dr. Drew, but I don't think what he said was so bad or so insulting - he was generalizing - may or may not be accurate, but he did qualify it with "in his experience".

Maybe Kathy thinks no one should be weighing in or offering their opinion at all.  If that's the case, I hope she never visits these forums, or anyplace else people are commenting. : )

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 9

Thank you, BlackMamba!

Yeah, Dr. Drew said nothing unkind at all and his explanation actually offered a mitigation factor - that he has seen women trying to withdraw from opiates and the reasons for that. Kathy has issues her damn self. She should probably focus on managing her budding stalker/ruler of the world son and quit worrying about what the peasants have to say about their betters.

Must be a big come down from marrying her daughter off to a Rothschild and then coming home to this downmarket mess. Her sister caught shoplifting at a Target, lawdy lawd. I almost want to sympathize. Then I remember her son calling people peasants and boasting that his daddy will buy him out of trouble.

• Love 10

I don't think jail would do Kim much good. Jails are full of addicts and the recidivism rate is out of control. There's a myth that people go to jail, finally realize the severity of their addiction, and rise like a Phoenix from the ashes, but most people just come out unable to pass a background check and with all the same problems plus new ones and the stigma associated with being an ex-con. Kim has a victim complex so it's more than likely IMO her list of grievances would expand to include include stealing her goddamn house, taking her goddamn dog, and sending her to goddamn jail while she languished in 100% pain. Monty would likely die while she was incarcerated. She'd get out and face tabloid backlash, resentment if her kids/sisters didn't visit her in jail...knowing what we know of Kim, how likely is it that she be shocked into recovery versus immediately drinking the second she gets out and realizes how empty her life is?

FWIW this is not a flame post to those who have suggested jail time. Most people who kick a cop (I'm still shocked she didn't catch a felony charge for this) and steal stuff go to jail. She'd already be there if she was poor. Like others have said, it's up to Kim to save Kim at this point. I think Monty's death will be the turning point for her. She'll either start to recover or die. He's a thread connecting her to her old life, woes, and excuses.

ETA: I just realized that Kim is living Lindsay Lohan's future.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 7

I agree that jail is bad for addicts and wish we treated addiction as purely an illness, like I have seen in Europe.

We left our niece in jail for only as long as it took to find a good rehab. We were afraid if she was out she would literally die.

• Love 7
The toys are a mystery.

Maybe her drug dealer has kids.  As for the rest of the stuff, I've heard drug dealers accept Tide as payment.  Or maybe she's a kleptomaniac who feels compelled to steal stuff and has all her life like the article linked above suggests.  I think she was probably high or drunk when she was putting the stuff in the car and the store couldn't reason with her and/or they didn't want her driving in her intoxicated condition. 

• Love 5

Another "lifting tip" that I saw on tumblr was to sneak the store's shopping bags in, fill them with the stuff you want, and casually walk out. 

The toys are a mystery.  

I read a comment under one of the news articles that claimed she brought her own bags into Target (plastic bag ban?) and that she had filled them with vodka bottles.  I don't remember where I saw it.

Because if so, I can almost see it - placing bottles in a bag and then cushioning them with stuffed animals, etc? Then I can see her trying to walk out with her bags all nice and full.

• Love 1

I am surmising but perhaps went into Target, intoxicated and had some weird idea that her children were still small so she loaded up on the toys.  Judicially there isn't much they will do to Kim-everything is a misdemeanor.  I am curious why Monty doesn't put Kim up.  He is living large at the Hiltons why doesn't he pop for a place like Brandi stayed last year while she was looking for a home. 

I think now that Kim has had four rehab experiences prior to the two or was it three this past spring perhaps something other than rehab is in order.  I still think she should do three AA meetings a day for 90 days would be a good start. They are free and it is an alternative to her spa like rehabs from the past.  Oh and the idea Kim has an anxiety disorder and needs Xanax-time to ditch that-just an excuse for drugs.  She truly needs to get sober instead of her conditional sobriety.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 2

The toys are a mystery.  

Yes, plastic bags are a thing of the past, at least in L.A. You are welcome to bring your own bags, or they'll charge you for a paper bag. I keep a few in my suitcase when I am out there on business so when I go to any store to buy snacks or something, I have a way to carry them out.

• Love 1

I am surmising but perhaps went into Target, intoxicated and had some weird idea that her children were still small so she loaded up on the toys.  Judicially there isn't much they will do to Kim-everything is a misdemeanor.  I am curious why Monty doesn't put Kim up.  He is living large at the Hiltons why doesn't he pop for a place like Brandi stayed last year while she was looking for a home. 

I think Monty doesn't have any money left - he seems to have lived his life gambling and partying and free-loading off of friends and family.  He stays wherever there is a free bed and as long as people put up with him.  I have a feeling he is charismatic and can live off people for years without thinking he is a "burden" - kind of like that Kato guy of O.J.'s.  He lived in his guest house rent free for years.  Hollywood seems to draw those kind of people.  I've noticed it in a lot of famous people "stories" - I can't imagine going from friend to friend just sleeping on their couches - not having a place to call home but there are loads of people out there that it doesn't seem to matter.  I am not talking about people who have had hardships and are forced to but people that it is their way of life.  Modern day vagabond.

• Love 5

I think Monty doesn't have any money left - he seems to have lived his life gambling and partying and free-loading off of friends and family.  He stays wherever there is a free bed and as long as people put up with him.  I have a feeling he is charismatic and can live off people for years without thinking he is a "burden" - kind of like that Kato guy of O.J.'s.  He lived in his guest house rent free for years.  Hollywood seems to draw those kind of people.  I've noticed it in a lot of famous people "stories" - I can't imagine going from friend to friend just sleeping on their couches - not having a place to call home but there are loads of people out there that it doesn't seem to matter.  I am not talking about people who have had hardships and are forced to but people that it is their way of life.  Modern day vagabond.

I can never decide if Monty gets a draw from a family trust or is a bum.  He seems to like people to think he lives the life of a bon vivant.   

• Love 3

I haven't been following anything since the show ended but from what I've read so far, it seems like after the last arrest she went into rehab (For a month?) and missed Brooke's second wedding (to the same man), left rehab early, Marty moved out....and what happened to the house she was renting?  What about Kingsley -- where is he?

I don't know what's left for Kim at this point. A judge ordered rehab?  I don't think someone could leave a legally mandated rehab stint without resulting in some jail time.  I mean jail is rarely good for anyone, I guess unless that becomes their "bottom" and they finally learn something from the experience.  It's supposed to be punishment for criminal behavior, not some plush, cushy rehab or paying reality show where she gets to stomp her feet, throw her "star status" around, fling her finger in people's faces and threaten to talk about their husbands or walk out when she's had enough -- which would be a change for her.

But really, nothing is going to help until she changes her attitude.  She can be forced into sobriety and forced into a therapeutic setting, but it will all be against her will and so she will gain nothing from the experience.  I feel like it no longer matters what would give her more ammunition for excuses or blame (You stole my Goddamn house, You talked about my business).  That's one of the things her loved ones have to give up on -- watching and adjusting their own behavior in order to avoid having Kim become angry with them.  If Kim chooses to become angry and bitter over the consequences to her own actions, then so be it.  Just another life choice that Kim has to own up to and everyone else has to stop walking on eggshells to try and prevent.  

• Love 9

Grocery stores in LA sell liquor, so I wouldn't be surprised if Targets did too.  I've never looked while at Target at home with my teetotalling parents though.

I really thought the comment about Kim stealing bottles of vodka from Target must be a joke but apparently they do sell liquor and wine there?!  I wouldn't know anything about this because I live in Pennsylvania and our politicians still think it's Prohibition.  Liquor in grocery stores? Lies!

Laughing at the image of Kim waddling towards the exit with extra large Target shopping bags filled with stuffed animals and liquor.

Edited by LilaFowler
  • Love 4

I live in Michigan (Ann Arbor area) and there are two Targets relatively close to each other. One sells beer/wine and the other beer/wine as well as a limited liquor selection. Vodka, whiskey, heavily discounted SkinnyGirl Sangria, etc. I don't know about L.A. but alcohol is definitely available at certain Targets.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 2

I really thought the comment about Kim stealing bottles of vodka from Target must be a joke but apparently they do sell liquor and wine there?!  I wouldn't know anything about this because I live in Pennsylvania and our politicians still think it's Prohibition.  Liquor in grocery stores? Lies!

Maryland is the same.  The only thing I miss about living in VA is being able to buy alcohol from a regular grocery store.  

Fortunately for me though, I live about a mile from about three liquor stores and a few bars, so I'm covered in case of an emergency.  

• Love 4

Or she is doing what my niece did and reselling the stolen items to get drug money. There are a lot of childrens resale shops.

And my niece came from a family with a bit of money. They are not poor, but drugs will sink you like a stone  

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 6

Maybe we should look for Kim's eBay toy store. Maybe Brooke's pregnant and she's preparing for a grandchild?

Yeah, love the liquor selection at the grocery stores in L.A., it's better than the ABC stores here. Except we have moonshine. :)

• Love 1

If Kathy's focus had been on getting people the help they needed, Kim and her own kids, instead of just covering up everything, maybe they would be doing better now.

I agree. I also suspect that Kathy feels she has to cover for Kim because of guilt. Kathy partied with Kim and probably had a hand in introducing her to the scene. Let's not forget her and Rick's friendship with Rick James. So, she probably feels responsible as an older sister who introduced Kim to this lifestyle. Or, Kim manipulates her into feeling that way. I wouldn't be surprised if Kim had thrown the fact that she partied with Kathy in Kathy's face a time or two.

• Love 4

Texas only allows beer and wine in retail stores. You have to buy hard liquor ar a liquor store, which are closed on Sundays. Also, you can't buy beer or wine until after 12pm on Sundays. But, if it's considered a dessert wine, you can't buy on Sunday. In other words, if you want to make a Marsala dish, and don't have any Marsala wine, you're shit out of luck!

• Love 1

Texas only allows beer and wine in retail stores. You have to buy hard liquor ar a liquor store, which are closed on Sundays. Also, you can't buy beer or wine until after 12pm on Sundays. But, if it's considered a dessert wine, you can't buy on Sunday. In other words, if you want to make a Marsala dish, and don't have any Marsala wine, you're shit out of luck!

No wonder you're cranky! :)

• Love 2

Too sober to go to rehab, too happy with life to go to therapy, yet too troubled and victimized to go to jail. Poor poodle, indeed.《 posted \credited by\to: SwordQueen》

☆☆And, therein lies both paradox(es) and excuse(s)☆☆

• Love 7

Laughing at the image of Kim waddling towards the exit with extra large Target shopping bags filled with stuffed animals and liquor.

Oh Pennsylvania, how I hate your stupid liquor laws. Why on earth does a state agency own and operate all of the liquor stores? When I was a kid they didn't have weekend hours. When my oldest brother was 12, he and his best friend ran a clearly illegal state store delivery service to deal with the lack of weekend hours. People would call the state store with their orders. My brother and his friend would stop by the store on the way home from school on Friday to get their orders. His friend would ride his bike to the various offices to pick up the cash and checks and bring them back to store. My brother would ride his bike with cart attached to the back to the state store and make his deliveries to peoples' homes.

Back to Kim. I can't figure out if Kim had the toys because she delusionally thought her kids were that young or if she's staying with someone who has young kids and she's trying to ingratiate herself.

I think now that Kim has had four rehab experiences prior to the two or was it three this past spring perhaps something other than rehab is in order.  I still think she should do three AA meetings a day for 90 days would be a good start. They are free and it is an alternative to her spa like rehabs from the past.  Oh and the idea Kim has an anxiety disorder and needs Xanax-time to ditch that-just an excuse for drugs.  She truly needs to get sober instead of her conditional sobriety.

If she isn't committed to finishing out a 90 day rehab program there is no way she will go to AA meetings or do any other post rehab work after leaving rehab early. IMO, she does not want to get clean or sober at all.

• Love 3

No sorrow for Kathy. She persistently belabored Kyle and NEVER spoke out in Kyle's defense against the vitriol spewed at her from any and all sides. She only recently has flooded the media as Kyle and hubby in exhaustion relinquished aid. Now, as more of the onus has befallen her, does she press her trashy finger in false outrage, defense,and ire. She has allowed her own children to express denigrating and snobbish acts and words towards others including law enforcement as she touted superiority. No punishment allowed there. Kathy is not righteous. She has been a constant enabler for kith and kin--Kim and HER children.

• Love 14

Kathy was mighty quiet and immensely subdued as her youngest sister was heckled and reviled. She is, now, mustering a show of...as SHE is pulled into the fray and embarrassed. Thankfully, Kyle has slipped the noose of "mile(s) everlasting high" hangman Kim. "Good Sister" Kathy--pity? Nope, none at all. None was publicly illustrated--and no support either--as Kyle drowned in vast oceans of contempt.

• Love 6

I heard today that Robert Downey, Jr, is the highest paid actor. I thought about his issues and how he emerged from all that. The comparison isn't apt as RDJ is crazy talented but the difference really is that he owned his shit and walked the walk. Kim? Nah. It's all someone else's issue. 

I applaud someone who can stand up and say they are "f'd" up and then move forward to even greater success. This broad will end up like all the other child stars- dead and complaining about how they were cheated out of their rightful place on top.

• Love 8

If she isn't committed to finishing out a 90 day rehab program there is no way she will go to AA meetings or do any other post rehab work after leaving rehab early. IMO, she does not want to get clean or sober at all.

My point is in-patient rehab is not working.  There is no magic number 30 days, 60 days or 90 days or two years.  Kim thinks it is a resting place for someone who needs a well deserved rest because she worked as a child.  Time to move on to what real people do when they hit bottom. . . go to meetings.

PS we know Kim can stay sober as an in patient -time to show herself she can stay sober on the outside,

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

I heard today that Robert Downey, Jr, is the highest paid actor. I thought about his issues and how he emerged from all that. The comparison isn't apt as RDJ is crazy talented but the difference really is that he owned his shit and walked the walk. Kim? Nah. It's all someone else's issue. 

I applaud someone who can stand up and say they are "f'd" up and then move forward to even greater success. This broad will end up like all the other child stars- dead and complaining about how they were cheated out of their rightful place on top.

Side note -Kim's first and really last movie has an adult and star was with her co-star Robert Downey, Jr.  Before going to prison and essentially begging the court to help him he had the most alarming yet poignant statement: "It is like I've got a shotgun in my mouth, with my finger on the trigger and I like the taste of gun metal."  Maybe Bobby and Jimmy (James Spader) need to reach out to former Tuff Turf co-star and show her the way.

• Love 2

My point is in-patient rehab is not working.  There is no magic number 30 days, 60 days or 90 days or two years.  Kim thinks it is a resting place for someone who needs a well deserved rest because she worked as a child.  Time to move on to what real people do when they hit bottom. . . go to meetings.

PS we know Kim can stay sober as an in patient -time to show herself she can stay sober on the outside,

I knew what you were/are saying, I was pointing out she doesn't really want to get clean/sober period. I just don't see Kim doing anything to save herself, ever.

• Love 5

Your posts have been my inspiration quite a few times so this one's for you....

kim%20escape%20target_zpswrlusfri.jpg

I would 'like' this a thousand times if I could!!!!  Thank you!

I saw a commercial for Target tonight and immediately thought of Kim.  Get out of my head Kim!

• Love 6

Kim is a drug/alcohol addict with no education, a has-been child star, who's siblings married well and have the life-style she feels she deserves.   She blew a chance at making a good income, just like Brandi G.   Neither one of them will do well.  They will continue to spiral downward, blaming others.   Kim especially feels entitled to have her family support her, her children, and a lifestyle she feels she deserves.  She blames her mother, siblings and their families for her unhappiness.  She has no intention of getting well.  That was clear from the Dr. Phil interview when she stormed off, and her comments off camera were recorded.   Kyle seems to have checked out of this mess, and Kathy is left with the glare of the public asking what she's going to do.  

Kim does what she wants - drugs/alcohol/now shoplifting, and she feels entitled to make excuses, and have everyone else pay for her mistakes, and not question her.  

Kathy's tweet about Dr. Drew commenting on Kim's situation made me laugh.   Celebrity, even D-list, is a double edge sword.  Kim wants publicity, wants the attention, and then when it turns against her, they circle the wagons, enable her and blame the media. 

• Love 11

Your posts have been my inspiration quite a few times so this one's for you....

kim%20escape%20target_zpswrlusfri.jpg

This will never not be funny.

Thanks for the embellishment with the Minions and Vodka cases.

Made me laugh like a loon after 3 grueling days at work.

• Love 11

If Kathy feels so bad, why doesn't she give her "homeless" sister a place to live?

Well she did give Kim (and Monty) a place to stay for awhile but it appears that those days are over.  Perhaps things changed after Kathy got the 911 call from Cabo over Kim's scene at Brooke's wedding.  When Kim went MIA in Mexico, the family knew where she was and took a security guard down there to scoop her up.  I don't think it is a coincidence that Kim "broke out" (was allowed to go by someone) of her latest rehab hours after Nicki Hilton's wedding was over in England.  Little details matter when you look into the murk that if Kim Richard's life.

• Love 5