Type keyword(s) to search

In the Media: The Blogs Must Be Crazy

The bit about Stewart replacing all of the old correspondents other than Black "before long" is a bit misleading.  Yes, most from the Kilborn era were switched out rather quickly, but one fellow by the name of Colbert hung around for some time.

So, here's a random topic:

Some of you may listen to Marc Maron's WTF podcast.

Well, for those of you don't know. Jon Stewart really does not like Maron. Back in the '90s, Maron was totally jealous of Stewart and would express that jealousy in his standup act. He would even belittle Stewart when they were in the same room.

Nowadays, now that Maron has found his calling, he's mellowed out a bit. And he tried to get Stewart to come on his very popular podcast so he could express his regret with the way he treated him. Maron left a message at The Daily Show, and Stewart called back and said that he really didn't want to have anything to do with him, and if they did discuss their differences it wouldn't be in the public forum as his podcast.

Which is totally understandable. If I was Stewart I would've done the same thing. He's in a different time in his life, and he doesn't want to think about Marc Maron.

But here's the thing: Marc Maron just got President Obama and his motorcade and dozens of cops and Secret Service agents to visit his house for a one-hour taping of his podcast from his garage.

Since these podcasts are generally so casual (one hour is a long time), it's sure to generate some kind of news or revelations about the president.

So, I wonder if any soundbite will end up making it on The Daily Show (if it's a newsworthy interview)? And will Stewart speak his name (or will it just be printed at the bottom of the screen)?

gdM7HUi.png

(edited)

Some unfortunate negativity a month before Jon leaves.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/jon-stewart-told-wyatt-cenac-to-fck-off.html

It's sad that Wyatt felt this bad and that Jon got defensive and lost his temper but there are some things that should be taken into consideration.

This happened in the summer of 2011 and Wyatt left December of 2012 so he was still on a year. Whatever anger Jon had at that point, it passed and he kept Wyatt around for more than another year. I can only say that Jon does voices making fun of politicians from Cheney to Mitch McConnell, to Lindsay Graham to Trump. I honestly don't remember him ever doing a Herman Cain impression.  I found one a video from June 9, 2011:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ifx6ld/c--k-blocked-roundup---tim-pawlenty---herman-cain

I didn't know who "Kingfish" is so watching Amos and Andy videos  I can see how someone familiar with that would immediately make that connection but I just don't think Jon was deliberately referencing that. I think he was actually try not to imitate Cain because it would sound racist but ended up still doing a stereotypical type voice.

I was looking at other videos from after that about Herman Cain and I think it's the last time Jon did the voice.

From October 6, 2011

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/38f1by/indecision-2012---rising-cain

So as mad as Jon got, he took it to heart and stopped doing it. I wish they mentioned in the Vulture article or that Wyatt mentioned it since that was what bothered him originally. Also, he wanted Jon to be a "father figure" to him? Well, Wyatt my dad(RIP) yelled at me sometimes when I was a kid and made me cry too. Still loved him and I recognize now that people we care about are human. It is strange to hear about Jon yelling at someone in anger but I remember Seth MacFarlane telling this story:

Edited by VCRTracking

I feel really ready to say goodbye to the Daily Show, and I occasionally have problems with Jon so I don't think I'm blind to his flaws, but I don't see the story as that big of a deal.  I imagine when you are boss, pitching jokes which means the environment is probably never professional, and under pressure, shit like this can happen.

• Love 1

And I assume this is why we eventually ended up with The Nightly Show (originally the Minority Report). Writers' rooms get insanely tense/intense on a good day. On a show that needs a new script everyday? Have fun with that. You cool off, learn, and move on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, interesting. I have no idea what was going through Jon's mind when he snapped at Wyatt like that, but he clearly handled that situation very badly. That's a reaction I'd expect from someone like Bill Maher. But, as VCRTracking pointed out, Jon did let that pass and, I assume, learned, from it. There was a segment four months after the incident, where Jon was discussing the name of Rick Perry's family ranch, N*********, and talked about how typical it was of southerners to use racially insensitive names on places. Then when Wyatt came out, he showed Jon a map of a river in upstate New York that was named, I believe, N***** River, and Jon was all ruh-roh. Perhaps that was a cleansing for Jon for what he did to Wyatt. And Jon did give Wyatt a salute on his last day, which was the last TDS show in 2012.

Of course, this was all revealed on Marc Maron's podcast. He and Jon go back a long ways and Maron seems to have utter contempt for Jon and jealousy about his success. It wouldn't surprise me if that douche set up Wyatt in order to make Jon look bad.

Edited by Victor the Crab
  • Love 1

I gotta say, that story doesn't make Jon look very good at all. I've had mixed feelings about him for a few years now (I'm tuning back in to see the show end), but stories like this make me feel a little validated in tuning out and thinking that he has changed since around 2010 or so. I don't think there was a reason for him to be so defensive and angry just because Wyatt (the only black writer on the show) felt differently about something than he did.

(edited)

Wait...is this story implying that Jon Stewart is actually...human? Well, I for one am shocked. Shocked and stunned.

From what I read on another site, Wyatt mentions in the podcast  (but missing from media reports) is that after this happened Stewart later found him and apologized for yelling.  Sounds like a non issue, Stewart acted like an ass but realized he was an ass an apologized to Wyatt Cynac. So yeah, totally sounds like Stewart was a human being who screwed up.  I can totally see how that would be upsetting for Wyatt Cynac,getting chewed out by your boss in front of your co-workers but sadly it does happen.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

To me this dust up really points out the problem with the lack of diversity in a lot of writer's rooms. No one should be made to feel like they have to speak up for their gender, race or sexuality because they are the token woman, person of color, gay person whatever. There shouldn't be a token anybody. If there had been more diversity in the room maybe there would have been more dissenting opinions. The problem would be easily solved if the path to these writing jobs weren't through the same few Ivy League colleges that are still boys clubs even after all this time and even for liberal shows like The Daily Show. We still have a way to go in terms of equality. I don't think John Stewart invented this issue and I don't expect him to solve it but I wish someone would point it out because I thing it's a big part of what happened and it deserves attention.

• Love 7
(edited)

Linda Holmes from NPR's Monkey See pop culture blog (and the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast) wrote some good tweets last night about the Cenac interview :

Reducing that Wyatt Cenac interview to "BEEF WITH JON STEWART!" is a sort of tragic missing of lots of points, I think.

I mean, Cenac is trying to explain *all kinds* of things about his experience, and "Jon Stewart told me to fuck off" is about 0.5 % of it.

All of the things that set up that confrontation with Stewart, and that made it *devastating*, matter more than the confrontation itself.

Edited by purist
  • Love 2

I do agree with Linda and the entire interview is worth listening to; I do hope Wyatt listens to Marc's advice and goes to the final show. Interesting that though he appeared on the show as a correspondent, he quit as a writer after the incident.

(edited)

I'm not sure where to put this but it looks like CC is doing a farewell special of some kind at noon before Jon's final show and then a marathon of selected episodes all day 8/6. At least, that's what's showing up on my DVR/guide.

ETA: Either I can't read dates & times or the DVR changed...I'm thinking the former...

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1
(edited)

Wait, Wyatt Cenac has appeared on The Daily Show since leaving it.  It was Jon was off directing Rosewater and there was a return show, with a bunch of correspondents from the past and Wyatt was among them.   So whatever occurred, they made their peace with it.  

Wait...is this story implying that Jon Stewart is actually...human? Well, I for one am shocked. Shocked and stunned.

Also, it's not a fair demand to make of anyone that they must care deeply, passionately and convey that nightly in a charismatic and engaging manner for years at a time...and then expect that same person to be as calm and cool-headed as a hostage negotiator at all other times.  Performers are dynamic, they are dramatic and they have access to ready and readable emotion.  

Guess what that sometimes means?  They have big, vibrant, sometimes loud and difficult interactions.  I cannot be the only person here with a background in theater or performing arts.  Tempers run high when the stress gets going.   The very traits that make someone a compelling and telegenic person are the exact same ones that might, in fact, mean that getting into a debate with someone over the merit, or intent of that person's interpretation and execution of a bit....yeah, dude, if you have ever met a performer, the reactions tend to be BROAD and BIG.  

I loved Wyatt Cenac and still do.  I watched one of his standups (which by the way, one of the producers on that was Jon Stewart and it was AFTER leaving the show) and Wyatt did convey a different and darker personality than I though he had, but he was still a really entertaining person.   I'm just saying, he seems completely capable of an extended brooding session....and that's ALSO fitting for someone who gets up in front of people and performs.  

I always find it a little bit funny when the "Jon Stewart sucks because he said the word fuck and yelled and got angry...." stuff comes out.  Because in fifteen years there's been less than six stories like that.  

He's also from New Jersey and New York (as am I originally) and yup, not a quiet reserved bunch when moved to anger.  

I am sorry that Wyatt was hurt enough to cry, but the Vulture piece leaving out the "apologies were made and comedy specials produced"  information is trying to Fox News how it's all received, that's for sure.   

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 4
(edited)

Heh.  I get what you're saying, attica, but I'm from the common=usage-determines-meaning and usage in language is ever evolving (as communication should be) camp.  

So I agree:  it is tragic that something that millions of people look to as an actual news source has become synonymous with "propaganda and distorting facts to fit an agenda and support a false narrative" but never have has it been more deserved or fitting either.  

My heart soars at the thought that "Fox News that Shit" is akin to saying, "purposefully mislead and distort" because my god, have they ever earned that one.  

As always, my use of commas tends to be some straight-up Fox News shit too.   

(But I actually do apologize to any language lovers that I regularly offend and horrify, as that isn't my intent)

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

Sounds like they're at TCA, making the rounds.

Trevor Noah on His 'Slightly Different' Daily Show and the 'Immense Pressure' to Make Jon Stewart Proud - from TVLine

TCA Journal No. 2: How the Success of 'Daily Show' Might Not Have Much to Do With Trevor Noah - from The Hollywood Reporter

As much as I'm going to miss Jon Stewart, I'm also very interested and curious to see what happens in the next life of The Daily Show...

"You mentioned Jon Stewart, who leaves the “Daily Show” in two weeks. There’s handwringing from folks who think that he elevated or even transcended snark, that he utilized irony very effectively during the Bush years. And that he did the work of critiquing and fact-checking Fox and others on the right who helped create this debased media culture? What’s your sense of his influence?

I think Stewart’s show demonstrated the decline and vacuity of contemporary comedy. I cannot stand that smug, snarky, superior tone. I hated the fact that young people were getting their news through that filter of sophomoric snark.  Comedy, to me, is one of the major modern genres, and the big influences on my generation were Lenny Bruce and Mort Sahl. Then Joan Rivers had an enormous impact on me–she’s one of my major role models.  It’s the old caustic, confrontational style of Jewish comedy. It was Jewish comedians who turned stand-up from the old gag-meister shtick of vaudeville into a biting analysis of current social issues, and they really pushed the envelope.  Lenny Bruce used stand-up to produce gasps and silence from the audience. And that’s my standard–a comedy of personal risk.  And by that standard, I’m sorry, but Jon Stewart is not a major figure. He’s certainly a highly successful T.V. personality, but I think he has debased political discourse.  I find nothing incisive in his work.  As for his influence, if he helped produce the hackneyed polarization of moral liberals versus evil conservatives, then he’s partly at fault for the political stalemate in the United States. - Camille Paglia

"You mentioned Jon Stewart, who leaves the “Daily Show” in two weeks. There’s handwringing from folks who think that he elevated or even transcended snark, that he utilized irony very effectively during the Bush years. And that he did the work of critiquing and fact-checking Fox and others on the right who helped create this debased media culture? What’s your sense of his influence?

I think Stewart’s show demonstrated the decline and vacuity of contemporary comedy. I cannot stand that smug, snarky, superior tone. I hated the fact that young people were getting their news through that filter of sophomoric snark.  Comedy, to me, is one of the major modern genres, and the big influences on my generation were Lenny Bruce and Mort Sahl. Then Joan Rivers had an enormous impact on me–she’s one of my major role models.  It’s the old caustic, confrontational style of Jewish comedy. It was Jewish comedians who turned stand-up from the old gag-meister shtick of vaudeville into a biting analysis of current social issues, and they really pushed the envelope.  Lenny Bruce used stand-up to produce gasps and silence from the audience. And that’s my standard–a comedy of personal risk.  And by that standard, I’m sorry, but Jon Stewart is not a major figure. He’s certainly a highly successful T.V. personality, but I think he has debased political discourse.  I find nothing incisive in his work.  As for his influence, if he helped produce the hackneyed polarization of moral liberals versus evil conservatives, then he’s partly at fault for the political stalemate in the United States. - Camille Paglia

Here's a link to the entire Salon interview -  And wow, I was just wondering what had happened to Camille Paglia. She certainly hasn't changed much. Lots to disagree with there!

And yet, most of the rest of us are going to miss him a whole lot when he's gone. It's not his fault that there's so much debased political disclosure in America. That falls squarely in the lap of the (mostly Republican) politicians who don't give a shit about the lives of average Americans, and the mainstream media who look for conflict for ratings and try horribly to see it as "both sides are bad" because they fear being labelled liberal. Is it any wonder why Jon waved the white flag?

• Love 4

The articles about Jon leaving are starting to pile up. Here's one from Hollywood Reporter I don't think has been posted yet.

For my money, Paglia is no better than O'Reilly.

Have the shouting Geico et al ads stopped? The last few pauses on the MoZ stream have been blessedly silent "We'll be right back" screens.

Edited by ABay

Cruise Controlled

During the multi-country press tour for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, not even Jon Stewart has dared ask Tom Cruise about Scientology.

I didn't watch Cruise's interview on Letterman but was very happy to hear Paul and the band play "I Can See Clearly Now" as he walked on stage (they did the same for Travolta). That's as good as we'll get, I guess.

Rob Corddry

Daily Show correspondent, 2002-06

"In 2006, I was on the subway and a stranger asked me what we were 'planning on doing to the vice president on Monday.' I thought Cheney must have had another heart attack when he said, 'Cheney shot his friend in the face.' If there had been a bat-pole on the A train, I would have hopped on and slid right into Monday morning. That Monday night, I was promoted to Senior Vice Presidential Firearms Mishap Analyst and of all the dumb things I did on that show during my five years there, those three minutes top my list of favorites. There's no greater feeling than being 'in on it' with Jon, barely holding back your own laughter as Jon fails to contain his. The show is as good as it is because Jon inspires those around him to try and be as good as he is."

Larry Wilmore

Daily Show correspondent, 2006-14

"There's extra pressure when you're working with Jon. It's infuriating because he's usually right. Even if you disagree, you go, 'I know that motherf—er is right.' And then later you say, 'Yep, he was right. How did he know that?' It's like being coached by Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan. Jon can be tough when it comes to criticism, but he'll give you his praise, too. He's the first to say, 'Man, you're f—ing killing it.' "

Read More: Bill Carter: How Jon Stewart Changed Media (and Made Megyn Kelly Cry)

Ed Helms

Daily Show correspondent, 2002-09

"I remember doing my second segment. I was still so green and nervous. The bit was that I had a little mole removed from my nose, but we treated it as this big, heavy medical segment. Katie Couric's on-air colonoscopy was the inspiration. I had this jar with a huge sausage floating in it that was supposed to be the mole. It was a dumb bit, but I could not keep it together. I was laughing really hard during rehearsal, and I was terrified because I didn't want to laugh during the taping. So, at the end of rehearsal, Jon looks me in the eye and goes, totally deadpan, 'If you laugh during the taping, you're fired.' My heart just dropped. Then he burst out laughing. By making a joke that played on my biggest fear, he knew how to make me relaxed and comfortable. It was a very gracious move."

John Oliver

Daily Show correspondent, 2006-13

"The worst day [while guest hosting] was the Trayvon Martin verdict. I felt that the audience was looking for Jon to help them feel better. And I felt his absence hard that day. I said to him beforehand, 'If something comes down, if something enrages me, it's unearned. My anger is unearned.' And he said, 'Now is when you earn it.' "

Doug Herzog

President of Viacom Entertainment Group

"I remember the first time I noticed him. We were testing a game show at MTV, and he was one of three hosts. As I walked out of the room, I said, 'The show isn't very good, but that guy in the baseball cap is really funny. We need to be in business with that guy.' Before too long we had him on the air. Is he leaving too early? Absolutely. He's got a lot of game left. It's like he's pulling a Sandy Koufax."

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/daily-show-alums-john-oliver-larry-wilmore-working-160505845.html

The headline is ridiculous clickbait so I didn't copy it.

The panel on last night's @midnight were all TDS people: Al Madrigal, Ed Helms, and Rob Riggle. Chris Hardwicke, who hosts the show did a nice little tribute to Jon, crediting him with an unintentional intervention that made Hardwicke realize he needed to turn his life around.

So many articles lately with the "this is where young people get their news."   Since I'm not young, everyone I know who watches the daily show is middle aged or old.  So a question to those of you who are young. Do a lot, most, hardly any of your friends get your news from the Daily show?

Do a lot, most, hardly any of your friends get your news from the Daily show?

Most my friends (early to late 20s)watch  the show (as well as Last Week Tonight), but it isn't their main source of news. Main source is something called the internet. Every taping I've ever been to, the audience seemed to have more people in their ~early 20s to early 30s (since you have to be over 18 so there won't be people younger, and I can't really distinguish between a 19 year old and a 20 year old by looking at them) than older.

• Love 1

Interviews with people from the show and famous people (a lot of whom I don't know).

Apparently, Christopher Walken is a huge fan of the show and did an interview about Jon leaving.

EW Interviews with Jessica Williams, Olivia Munn, John Oliver, and Lewis Black. With more to come IIRC.

Edit: EW with Ed Helms.

Edit 2: EW with Rob Riggle.

Edit 3: EW short anecdote with Dan Bakkedahl.

Edited by solotrek

So many articles lately with the "this is where young people get their news."   Since I'm not young, everyone I know who watches the daily show is middle aged or old.  So a question to those of you who are young. Do a lot, most, hardly any of your friends get your news from the Daily show?

According to the WSJ article that solotrek linked above, the median age for TDS viewers in 46.  IS that a "young person"?

Every taping I've ever been to, the audience seemed to have more people in their ~early 20s to early 30s

I think the audience for the tapings is going to be younger than the audience as a whole, since in order to get there in time to get in line, etc., you probably can't be coming from work, so more people getting tickets are going to be college students or people with part time jobs.  Especially taking into account stand-by tickets, which you can't get if you've go a regular job to go to.   I would have loved to see the show live, but could never get tickets coordinated with vacation time.   

Now with the advent of DVRs, anyone can watch the show, even if you've got a job to go to in the morning.  

Bill O'Reilly writes an "appreciation".

And that’s what I appreciate. Unlike some of his soulmates, Jon Stewart is not a malicious man by nature. You can reason with him when he’s sober, although there are certain individuals that drive him crazy and he gives them no quarter. In that he’s human.

Continuing the EW series from the previous page we now have an interview with Stephen Colbert.

Edit:

Josh Gad's interview with EW.

Edit:

Rob Corddry's interview with EW

This was too good not to quote

He was always very congratulatory. The show won a lot of Emmys, but the correspondents at that time weren’t credited as writers. So, the correspondents never got Emmys, which was fine — we understood the deal. It wasn’t a big thing. But he called Sam Bee, Ed Helms, and I into his office one day, and he was at his desk, and we sat down in front of his desk — and of course the desk is full of crap, covered in crap … including three Emmy statues.

And he said, “You guys can each take one thing off my desk.” And of course I grabbed Bill O’Reilly’s book that he was just getting to. It was such a nice gesture. I don’t know of any other show that has done that, and it was a really, really sweet gesture. We call it our Commemmy. It’s a regular Emmy — it’s not smaller or weighs less — but on the back it says “Commemorative.” So it’s our Commemmy.

Edit:

A mishmash of interviews via EW

Edited by solotrek