Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Spotted by the "Paparazzi"

"Sir" takes Kimberly on an incredible hot air balloon ride over England and on a secluded picnic, but their date is disrupted by some pesky paparazzi who follow them. Later, back at the estate, the ladies are treated to a pool party fit for a royal and the girls show "Sir" their best American dance moves

There's a clip of the dancing at the pool party up on Fox's website with the teaser: "Watch 'Harry' Twerk for the Girls".

No.  I will not.

• Love 1

I've got a dog, Miller, that twerks.  I don't like him to do it outside because it looks like something else altogether.   I wasn't aware that a third episode of this had aired.  Did anything at all interesting happen? 

Ran across this show completely by accident.  Complete trainwreck and just had to finish the episode. Won't tune in again though.  I cannot believe anyone would believe this is the real Prince Harry, have these girls been living under a rock?  Is he even British?  Do Brits typically use the phrase 'you guys' and I'm wondering how often the royals respond to a question with 'yeah'.  Maybe they do.   Sad thing is, he is probably a really nice guy and if he weren't pretending to be Prince Harry none of these girls would give him much if any attention.  

He sent the only girl with a brain home, and kept Maggie the passing-out drunk, joy!  I hope she makes it to the finals.  Quote: "I always make friends with the bartender,"  surprising no one.  The girl needs an intervention if she can't hold her liquor for her fake chance to win a wing at Buckingham Palace.  She probably misses her trailer and her rescued pitbulls.

That girl with the square face really banged her head on the boat.  Seriously, that's how she thinks she can impress fakeHarry?  With a fancy dive?  I wonder if Camilla or Kate Middleton have a fancy dive.

The twerking skanks all really boring and have no conversation, how can he have "chemistry" with one and not with the other???

• Love 3

Interesting the closed-captioning on this says "I Want to Marry Prince Harry" as the name of the show. Must not have gotten clearance by the legal department.

That girl with the square face really banged her head on the boat.  Seriously, that's how she thinks she can impress fakeHarry?  With a fancy dive?

Kelley. She looks so much like Emilie de Ravin/Belle on "Once Upon a Time." Though I wished he'd sent her home. She's a star...ahem, gazer. When she finds out he's just Matt from the council estates, she will drop him faster than anyone.

I thought Karina (new occupant of the Crown Suite) didn't seem that impressed with him, having had an English soccer player boyfriend. But maybe he likes that about her.

Of the remaining girls left, I like Kimberly (previous Crown Suite occupant). She seems sweet and as genuine as anyone can be on a show like this.

"I left my last boyfriend because I was ready to settle down."

--Reality dating show contestant

From Bunting's article:

[Rose].may want to Google how stepsiblings work, though, just in general. Her theory that Matt looks a lot like Prince Harry, so he could be one of Camilla Parker-Bowles’s kids, is…IIIII don’t know what that is, actually.

Rose's theory also doesn't work because of arithmetic. 'Sir' said he had just one brother. If he's Camilla's son describing Prince William as his brother he would have claimed two brothers-- William and Harry. FWIW Camilla does indeed have a son (and a daughter). The son is 10 years older than real Harry and a full 16 years older than Matt.

OK. I am officially bored. Not Harry only has one "line": "So, what has your dating life been like?" Ugh. 

Also, none of the girls seem to think that it is possible for a TV dating show to fake paparazzi and other events.

Also, re-enacting The Notebook? Really?? Ugh. I'm calling it: she's the virgin of the group.

• Love 2
(edited)

What was Skankarina cooing to fakeHarry? "Oh don't worry, I've dated celebrity soccer players before, I was ready to settle down and he was not (aka he was cheating on me), I'm used to this, I just want to love you for who you are, I haven't noticed the castle or anything."

I'm looking forward to next week when one member of the skank brain trust find that fakeHarry is fake because WRONG HONKER.

Quote fakeButler: "Jolly good!  This should be illegal!"

Jolly good? Are you kidding me...

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 1

"I wanna" love this show for all of its trashy, reality TV throwback glory, but I just can't. I finally got some coworkers to tune in last night, and now I'm just embarrassed that I recommended this. (And these are people who love to snark on reality TV!)  It really SHOULD be good, but it keeps going downhill. The one saving grace is that at least the producers are prompting NotHarry to get rid of the boring, quiet girls first and keep the made-for-reality-TV, gold-medal winners like Megan, Maggie, and Rose--and I'm forgetting the other one with the dark hair who was fighting with Megan. Once those girls are out--so am I.

OK. I am officially bored. Not Harry only has one "line": "So, what has your dating life been like?" Ugh. 

Harry really is a bore, so theoretically it should be hilarious that all these women are slavering over him, but they're equally boring and the whole thing is just sad really. I think for even a mean-spirited show like this one to work, there has to be someone to root for and there just isn't anyone here. Harry is clueless and dull; the women are catty and dull. I'm only continuing to watch because I want to see everyone humiliated, which makes me feel bad about myself, but not as bad as I would feel if I were a drunk idiot competing to be the biggest mark in a televised con game.

While I don't like anyone, this week I'm particularly impatient with the "I got a smooch" woman (what person over the age of 14 describes how much tongue was involved?) and the blockheaded girl who wouldn't shut up about The Notebook.

I'm sort of fascinated by Kingsley, though. When he has to sit there and make his little notes about which moron Harry is going to invite to the Crown Suite and which moron is going home, I wonder how much he has to hate himself for taking this job. He's not listed in the credits for this show, but according to the LA Times, Kingsley is played by Paul Leonard, who's had a long, but not particularly successful acting career. I almost think that after work, he goes to rough neighborhoods and provokes people into beating him up, just to purge some of the self-loathing.

• Love 4

Of course Not-Harry is a bore.  He's trying so hard to give the impression that he's Prince Harry without actually saying the words, there's no time for anything else.  As it's terribly unlike he's even been introduced to the real prince, much less spent time with him, Not-Harry can't even tell the jokes he's heard the real guy tell.  He can't say that he prefers trout over salmon because he knows the real prince feels that way, or fake any number of things someone whose actually spent time with Prince Harry would be able to do. 

The most laughable part of all of this is that all of the women are spending so much time on convincing themselves that he's the real deal, that only their most basic personality traits are showing up.  And Not-Harry is in the same boat.  They're all so busy playing a role that they aren't able to step back and really get to know on another.

• Love 1
(edited)

If I'm ever on a reality show, remind me not to phrase anything as "Am I a complete idiot or..." because as soon as Maggie said that, all I could think was "yep, yep you are"

Also, it really stresses me out when he says things like "The pool party gave me a chance to see their real personality."  I mean, I guess "dating show girl" has a type- but my real personality at a party like that would be hiding in the corner praying it was over soon. But I'm fun an exciting in other situations (I know how to row, for instance). This is why I don't watch dating shows. There is more than one type of person and "party person" is not the only one. The way Matt is acting, he certainly doesn't seem to be that type (though, I suppose Harry is)- so why would he want someone who is insane at a party?

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 2
(edited)
Also, re-enacting The Notebook? Really?? Ugh

This was ridiculous.  Is that really most women's response to seeing a canoe?  or was it a rowboat?   I hated her for this comment, because she seems to be one of those women who relates EVERYTHING to a movie.  Really, it's a boat.  Hasn't everyone seen  boats  in non-romantic contexts? 

Someone who immediately goes to "It's like my favorite movie!" is a person I have intense dislike for. it's a freakin BOAT

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2

"The Notebook" is to "my favorite movie" as "Olive Garden" is to "my favorite Italian restaurant".  Ever since she was compared to "Stewie" from "Family Guy", it's all I see when Kelley's face appears.

Do they continue to erroneously refer to NotHarry as "Prince of Wales" for the whole season? No wonder people in other countries have the impression Americans are so ignorant.

• Love 1

This show is becoming a complete yawnfest, even with the twerking and more rambunctious girls.  Biggest sleep-inducer of them all is NotHarry.  How freaking ironic is it that he's trying to portray Prince Harry as a reserved royal when the real Harry looks like he's Mr. Personality!

I really wish NotHarry sent Kelly home, everything about her annoys.  She's like a really horrible version of Charlotte from SatC, all naive waiting for her "Prince Charming".  Grow up.  I hope her head throbbed like hell for the rest of the day.

If I had to choose a favorite though, it'd have to be leather-faced Maggie.  She's the only one who's got a speck of personality, although she can't seem to show it unless she's got drinks first.  But yay for us!

So Mexican and Irish (Karina's background) is exotic now?  LOL, NotHarry.  LOL.

Um, so was that Chelsea's contribution to the competition?  Twerk instructor?  I looked for her in during the pool party scenes, and she was in the background 95% of the time.  What was even funnier to me was that she was totally vegging out there, not even caring to sit near NotHarry.

I think that the producers are getting rid of the women who are most resistant to believing that Matt is Harry.  At the end, I think we'll get all of the women who truly believe that he is Harry and that he is their prince charming.  This is going to get better and better as more women are eliminated.

Matt is boring and his mannerisms seem so off.  I wonder if the women remember that Harry is in the military and is an engaging personality.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thank god this show has folks like Passive-Aggressive Rose and Aggressive-Aggressive Meaghan.  Drunkie-Drunkerson (Maggie) was fun to watch, but pretty pathetic.

I was fully prepared to snark when I saw the "Pet Portraits" link, but as such things go those actually aren't that bad.  I mean that's a relative thing overall, since Pet Portraits are usually automatically terrible, but those are actually on the borderline of not totally sucking.

I think that the producers are getting rid of the women who are most resistant to believing that Matt is Harry.  At the end, I think we'll get all of the women who truly believe that he is Harry and that he is their prince charming.  This is going to get better and better as more women are eliminated.

Despite her "you know this could be Harry!", I don't think Meaghan for one, actually thinks this is Harry.  I think she'd mack on ANY guy if there was a TV camera and the FOX network following her.

Edited by Kromm

Being the "Prince of Wales" or "Prince Harry of Wales" are kinda sublte disctinctions to those not familiar with the titles of nobility.

Agreed and I say this as a huge BRF fan who can break down the next 20 or so in line for the throne. But I'm a royal nerd. Most Americans don't know Harry's exact title or how he is styled, nor should they be expected to know such things about the essentially powerless, arguably anachronistic ruling family of another country.

Hell, even in the UK I've seen headlines calling Diana "Princess Diana" which is incorrect. (You can't be called "Princess/Lady FirstName" unless you were born with/inherited your position. Diana was the daughter of an earl so she was correctly styled "Lady Diana" but she married into the royal family so she should've been styled Diana, the Princess of Wales and after the divorce, Diana, Princess of Wales. If you really want to get archaic you could've called her Princess Charles but that's more Continental in style.[/royal nerd])

ANYWAY. I thought the girl who went into the Crown Suite (Carina?) seemed very low key and sweet.

• Love 1
so she should've been styled Diana, the Princess of Wales and after the divorce, Diana, Princess of Wales. If you really want to get archaic you could've called her Princess Charles but that's more Continental in style.[/royal nerd])

They've been calling her Princess Diana informally for 30 years. I'm not sure why it started (wasn't born then) probably when they wanted to be more formal than simply referring to her as "Diana" but less formal than "The Princess of Wales" or Princess Charles. For anything official it was always The POW or Diana, POW and still is. 

They do always refer to Princess Michael of Kent by her husband's name/title, in fact if you said her real name I don't think a lot of British people would know who you meant. 

I don't expect the girls to know, because if you can't recognise its not Harry and/or realise that he wouldn't be on a FOX dating show in a million years, then you aren't going to realise he's not POW. The producers and researchers for this show should have known the difference, even by wiki-ing him for 10 minutes. Then again this whole production is so cheap it makes The Bachelor look classy in comparison, so I guess no one cared.

I think if it comes down to what a Butler or majordomo would do, he'd be using the exact correct formal title no matter what.  This is versus what almost anyone else (particularly the tabloids or the public in general) would be doing.

They've been calling her Princess Diana informally for 30 years. I'm not sure why it started (wasn't born then) probably when they wanted to be more formal than simply referring to her as "Diana" but less formal than "The Princess of Wales" or Princess Charles. For anything official it was always The POW or Diana, POW and still is. 

They do always refer to Princess Michael of Kent by her husband's name/title, in fact if you said her real name I don't think a lot of British people would know who you meant. 

I don't expect the girls to know, because if you can't recognise its not Harry and/or realise that he wouldn't be on a FOX dating show in a million years, then you aren't going to realise he's not POW. The producers and researchers for this show should have known the difference, even by wiki-ing him for 10 minutes. Then again this whole production is so cheap it makes The Bachelor look classy in comparison, so I guess no one cared.

They've been calling her Princess Diana informally for 30 years. I'm not sure why it started (wasn't born then)

When she was first introduced to the public she was called Lady Diana (and nicknamed Shy Di) so it's a natural to go from that to Princess Diana. I have no problem with the informality, just pointing that if the British newspapers can't be correct, we can't expect the American public to when it's not even our royal family.

Marie-Christine! Which is unusual for the Brits but it may because she's originally German. I mean, it's not incorrect to call her that, it's just not that common in the UK.

if you can't recognise its not Harry...

He really does look amazingly like the Prince but I disagree with the girl who said the giveaway is the nose. It's the eyes--wrong color, wrong shape. Harry has blue eyes but they're not so big and vividly blue. Not!Harry does have the Windsor nose though, to my eye.

• Love 1

When she was first introduced to the public she was called Lady Diana (and nicknamed Shy Di) so it's a natural to go from that to Princess Diana. I have no problem with the informality, just pointing that if the British newspapers can't be correct, we can't expect the American public to when it's not even our royal family.

Remember headlines drive the newspapers, and it's about space (the Internet age should have changed that, but somehow didn't).  They just refer to them by first (or even worse nick) names.  "Wils", "Kate", and I think they have a few choices ones for Charles.

(edited)

I think part of the thing with Princess Diana, is her title included Princess in it- so to the media, Diana, Princess of Wales is the same as Princess Diana.

Kate, while she is Princess William, doesn't get titled Princess with her own name, and unlike Princess Michael has a fabulous title of her own- so Duchess Kate it is.  (I think media has finally moved on from calling her Kate Middleton; that lasted quite some time after she was married.)

As for Harry; Prince Harry already is an informal title; being that he is Prince Henry of Wales.  I guess I wouldn't expect these girls to know the difference between XYZ, Prince of Wales and Prince XYZ of Wales, but I'd expect the show to.  It isn't exactly obscure knowledge that the title "Prince of Wales" is held by the next in line to the thrown. 

Edited by Skittl1321
(edited)

Then again this whole production is so cheap it makes The Bachelor look classy in comparison, so I guess no one cared.

Hell, it practically makes the old VH-1 "of Love" shows look classy. Well, ok, it's not THAT trashy.

Edited by JenE4
(edited)
so Duchess Kate it is.  (I think media has finally moved on from calling her Kate Middleton; that lasted quite some time after she was married.)

I still see a fair few articles calling her Kate Middleton and though she does seem to be being more "Duchess of Cambridge" these days. Haven't seen "Duchess Kate" much, it doesn't roll of the tongue as well as "Lady/Princess Di" though I expect she'll be "Princess Kate" when they finally move up a slot. 

I think if it comes down to what a Butler or majordomo would do, he'd be using the exact correct formal title no matter what.  This is versus what almost anyone else (particularly the tabloids or the public in general) would be doing.

Absolutely, but this show is too low rent to give a damn. IIRC there's also protocol where you do say "Your Highness" on first greeting but after that you call them Sir/Ma'am, I remember some royal correspondent talking about it once and I think its been shown in a couple of films about the royals but I don't know when or how that applies or if it would to Kingsley. 

Edited by Featherhat

You call them Sir when addressing them directly (What would you like to drink, Sir?). You don't go around calling them Sir as if it were their first name (Sir would like to speak with you in the other room).

(edited)

I think its been shown in a couple of films about the royals but I don't know when or how that applies or if it would to Kingsley.

I remember Helena Bonham Carter in "The King's Speech" as Elizabeth Bowles-Lyon explaining to Logue's wife how she's addressed by title the first time, then "ma'am" after that.  But, then again, it's a movie...

Edited by Wordsworth

He really does look amazingly like the Prince but I disagree with the girl who said the giveaway is the nose. It's the eyes--wrong color, wrong shape. Harry has blue eyes but they're not so big and vividly blue. Not!Harry does have the Windsor nose though, to my eye.

ITA!  Matt resembles Prince William a great deal, IMO, particularly about the nose and the shape of the face.

For the folks who understand how British titles work, answer me this: why did William get a dukedom after getting married?  Isn't being the 2nd prince in line to the throne a higher rank than a duke?

(edited)

According to this article a Duke is higher than Prince (at least a Royal Duke. I think there are Dukedoms out there that aren't royal, but just peerage...)

http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/otherroyals/ why-is-prince-edward-an-earl-not-a-duke-2259

No idea if the source is credible.

I think the reason it is higher is because you are born a Prince, but you must be named a Duke as an honor. So he got a Dukedom as a gift.  Of course, William is STILL Prince William, he didn't lose that title when he gained the other.  (In the article, you'll note Prince Edward is only an Earl, a title lower than the one he already had, which is why he is still Prince Edward.)

Edited by Lisin

There are royal dukedoms and there are noble dukedoms. Royal sons have been given additional titles forever and some of them are specifically attached to birth order. For example, the oldest son (the Prince of Wales) is also the Duke of Cornwall (Duke of Rothesay in Scotland) and traditionally the second oldest son is the Duke of York. Due to the vagaries of fortune many of these titles (after being bestowed) have then been reabsorbed into the Crown. The Duke of York is an interesting example--as I said it is traditionally reserved for the second son but since so many second sons have ended up as the king (or died at a young age), it keeps coming back to the crown! And it will happen again because Andrew has no sons who might inherit it--only daughters. The last Duke of York was also a second son (Queen Elizabeth's father, who was portrayed in The King's Speech)--as was HIS father, George V.

These titles used to be given at birth or in childhood but in the past century or so the tradition seems to be changing to when the princes marry they get the additional titles. Andrew, William and Edward were all given their additional titles the mornings of their weddings. It's always fun to speculate who's going to get what--I was pulling for the Duke of Clarence for William but my Mom says it's bad luck (if you know your Plantagenet history, you know why). Edward actually chose his title--he got the idea from the movie Shakespeare in Love (it is the title of the impoverished noblemen played by Colin Firth). I think that's the reason Edward is an Earl, not a Duke, because as the son of a sovereign he is entitled to a Dukedom by a previous LP. When the current Duke of Edinburgh (Prince Philip) dies, Edward will assume that title.

Um, topic. I thought the fake pap was a nice touch. And Chelsea (?--the twerker) was gorgeous.

We really need to have lunch sometime, CeeBeeGee!  My knowledge is nowhere near as comprehensive as yours, but I love talking the intricacies of royal and noble titles!

I remember Helena Bonham Carter in "The King's Speech" as Elizabeth Bowles-Lyon explaining to Logue's wife how she's addressed by title the first time, then "ma'am" after that.  But, then again, it's a movie...

Heh.  Yeah, the funniest line in the movie, IMO.  And maybe the only time I've ever heard a HBC character say something funny.  Of course, it's also pretty much the only time I've seen HBC play someone sane, so . . . .

• Love 1

Definitely Rhondinella! Yes, the intricacies can be very...intricate, and confusing as hell. I was exposed to this at a very young age--when I was 7 my favorite king was Edward VI (because he was so young when he ascended so I identified with that) so I come by it pretty naturally. And of course I watch every royal wedding I can! I'm disappointed about the breakup of Harry and Cressida but I really can't blame the girl. Hopefully Eugenie has another pretty little blonde Harry can meet (he certainly has a type!).

I realized that the opening makes it seem that in spite of being "the most eligible bachelor in the world" the show/Matt thinks the real Harry would be undateable without his wealth and title. Listen to what they're saying. Matt looks exactly like Harry (in their minds). Matt is out of the league of the women he's dating. When girls in real life realize he isn't Harry, they aren't interested. Matt is worried that without the wealth and status, they would not be interested.

Also, this feels so much like Whodunnit and Masterchef sometimes. Are we sure the same people aren't involved in the production?

Danny Fenton! Danny Phantom! I'm going to think this everytime I see his name in the credits. Which might not be for much longer as I may have to give up on this idiotic mess.

"I've never seen a hot air balloon before. It's like a unicorn to me." Is everything she hasn't seen in person a unicorn? So the Mona Lisa is a unicorn? Tom Cruise is a unicorn? God is a unicorn? The large hadron collider is a unicorn? I could do this all day.

• Love 1
(edited)

Also, this feels so much like Whodunnit and Masterchef sometimes. Are we sure the same people aren't involved in the production?

Maybe some editors or other techie folk (who are often guns for hire between shows), but not the actual companies. None of the three shows share a production company.

Whodunnit:  Anthony Zuiker's reality production arm, Dare To Pass & 51 Minds Entertainment (mainly know for Flavor of Love)

Masterchef US:  Gordon Ramsay's production company, One Potato Two Potato & Reveille Productions (mainly known for The Biggest Loser) & Shine Productions (most of the same shows as Reville)

I Wanna Marry Harry:  Ryan Seacrest's production company, Ryan Seacrest Productions

Edited by Kromm

Maybe this show go on the Unpopular Opinion board but I feel like people who like The Notebook watched a different movie than I did. How anyone could call Ryan Gosling's character in that movie "prince charming" is beyond me.

I keep forgetting that Matt isn't really a ginger. He is quite pale for a non-ginger.

I kind of want fake William and fake Kate Middleton to show up and to have these girls continue to pretend that he's prince Harry. Harry's face might not be as well-known but William and Kate have been in the news tons recently with the royal wedding and the birth of their son.

That pool party looked so sad. Good effort though trying to pretend you're having fun hanging out with the same people you've been hanging out with for days playing limbo without any music. Nice try. 

I love how on reality TV trying to maintain your dignity is equated with being a wet blanket, not being fun, not being fully invested, etc. From dating shows to ANTM, not wanting footage of you making a fool of yourself to be out in the world forever is somehow a bad thing.

I refuse to believe that Karina was dating a European soccer player and still thinks Matt is Harry.

• Love 1

I keep forgetting that Matt isn't really a ginger. He is quite pale for a non-ginger.

Didn't he have pale blonde hair?  That combined with a less than tropical climate pretty much equals pale.

But at least he is believable as a red head.

• Love 1
I refuse to believe that Karina was dating a European soccer player and still thinks Matt is Harry.

Something about the soccer player story sounded bogus to me. Like the kid in middle school who says he has a girlfriend but you can't meet her because she lives in Canada.

• Love 1

That girl with the square face really banged her head on the boat.  Seriously, that's how she thinks she can impress fakeHarry?  With a fancy dive?  I wonder if Camilla or Kate Middleton have a fancy dive.

HA!! This totally cracked me up.  The whole situation was ridiculous. 

Hell, it practically makes the old VH-1 "of Love" shows look classy. Well, ok, it's not THAT trashy.

OMG - what a way to bring back an oldie but a goodie.  I am now trying to think of which one has a worse group of contestants, Rock of Love, or this show?  It's tough, Rock of Love had that whole trailer park contingent, the sort of girls who look like they always needed a shower.  This show though, has those girls that are potentially stupid enough to really believe they are on a dating show with prince harry.  This means they aren't picking the prettiest girls, the brightest girls, or the girls that know exactly HOW MUCH of a lie they can tell about their age.  The second one he let go looked like a dude.

Something about the soccer player story sounded bogus to me. Like the kid in middle school who says he has a girlfriend but you can't meet her because she lives in Canada.

Well - lets define the word "dating" - because it could also mean "random booty calls that Karina took too seriously"

• Love 1