Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

Agreed on Woody -- no one would have guessed that from the Cheers run!!  I think his outspoken support of marijuana legalization hurt his chances to be a big-time player (I would be amazed if he got another Oscar nom) but he picks solid franchises, solid indies ... he's got a pretty good eye and his mortgage is surely paid, you know what I mean?

• Love 2

I think his outspoken support of marijuana legalization hurt his chances to be a big-time player (I would be amazed if he got another Oscar nom)

I mean he was just nominated this past year, so I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility. He's had a lot of critical and commercial success over the last decade, and since marijuana is legal in a lot of states now, I don't think anyone in Hollywood really cares about the pot debate anymore.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I mean he was just nominated this past year, so I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility. He's had a lot of critical and commercial success over the last decade, and since marijuana is legal in a lot of states now, I don't think anyone in Hollywood really cares about the pot debate anymore.

Oh, I forgot that -- he's had three Oscar nominations but only one for lead.  I guess I just feel like he's in a weird place where he's simultaneously regarded as a serious actor but also sort of a joke in the industry?  Perhaps it's his association with Matthew McConaughy, where Matthew had his "McConnaissance" and became Serious Actor Man, Woody ... hasn't?  Maybe I'm clinging to an outdated narrative on him but he just generally seems slightly underappreciated in the industry.

(edited)
3 hours ago, dusang said:

Oh, I forgot that -- he's had three Oscar nominations but only one for lead.  I guess I just feel like he's in a weird place where he's simultaneously regarded as a serious actor but also sort of a joke in the industry?  Perhaps it's his association with Matthew McConaughy, where Matthew had his "McConnaissance" and became Serious Actor Man, Woody ... hasn't?  Maybe I'm clinging to an outdated narrative on him but he just generally seems slightly underappreciated in the industry.

I think he is appreciated since he gets cast a lot in both big franchises and independent movies. This excerpt from Vanity Fair's cover story on Brie Larson:

There was a time in Hollywood when offscreen rivalries between actresses—fueled by fragile egos and fierce competition for roles—were more dramatic than anything audiences witnessed on-screen. Think Bette Davis and Joan Crawford (the subject of Feud, an eight-part television series from auteur Ryan Murphy) or sisters Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland, who had a vigilant rivalry for 60 years. But many of today’s young actresses have largely rejected the notion that one star’s gain is another’s loss. In particular, Larson, Emma Stone, and Jennifer Lawrence—all Oscar winners, all roughly the same age—encourage and support one another and celebrate their successes.

They have actor Woody Harrelson to thank for their friendship. He is the Pied Piper of these young women, having worked with Lawrence on The Hunger Games, Stone on Zombieland, and Larson on Rampart and again on The Glass Castle, and he thought they would all benefit from knowing one another. “It’s hard in this business, especially at that age, to experience celebrity and all the perks and all the temptations of celebrity,” Harrelson tells me. He says of the three actresses, “It’s incredible how they’ve navigated fame and stayed the people they are.”

I think he's also that way with guys like Jesse Eisenberg, Josh Hutcherson, and now Alden Ehrenreich. That he's a mentor or at least a cool "big brother" to these young actors he's working with.

Any other 50-something actor hanging out with actresses two decades younger than him (like he did with Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone at an Adele concert two years ago) it would be weird, but it's Woody. You know all that happened was they got drunk and smoked a LOT of weed.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

Lol @ how that video keeps going with Josh Groban exiting quietly.

I think it might just be the roles that Woody Harrelson is taking. He doesn't quite have the leading man looks but he isn't getting the less conventional lead roles either (because actually these days there are more action heroes than romantic leads in movies). I mean, if he wanted to do the stunts, there's no reason he couldn't pull off a Jason Statham/Bruce Willis/Vin Diesel, etc. kind of role. I feel like he's happy to take more supporting roles unlike say, Tom Cruise. And with the Oscar bait-y stuff not everyone is Daniel Day Lewis where you're kind of a character actor but also almost always the lead. He's having one of those working actor careers but it's always possible that with the right project he might have a lead role again. I mean, look at Christopher Plummer.

It would be interesting to know what he's getting offered and what he's turning down. 

• Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 4:34 PM, aradia22 said:

Lol @ how that video keeps going with Josh Groban exiting quietly.

I think it might just be the roles that Woody Harrelson is taking. He doesn't quite have the leading man looks but he isn't getting the less conventional lead roles either (because actually these days there are more action heroes than romantic leads in movies). I mean, if he wanted to do the stunts, there's no reason he couldn't pull off a Jason Statham/Bruce Willis/Vin Diesel, etc. kind of role. I feel like he's happy to take more supporting roles unlike say, Tom Cruise. And with the Oscar bait-y stuff not everyone is Daniel Day Lewis where you're kind of a character actor but also almost always the lead. He's having one of those working actor careers but it's always possible that with the right project he might have a lead role again. I mean, look at Christopher Plummer.

It would be interesting to know what he's getting offered and what he's turning down. 

I guess he's pretty much the new Ernest Borgnine, which is not a bad thing, really.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:37 PM, Ohwell said:

Oh I agree, he's still a good actor and he's still got the looks, but I hope he can find a really good movie soon.  It was just disheartening to see the panel chuckling about the movie with Kate Winslet.  Now maybe the movie will be surprisingly good, but I kind of doubt it, partly because Kate Winslet isn't exactly lighting up the screen anymore and the movie focuses on just the two of them.  

Re: Idris Elba, Isn't he big in the Marvel family and he was also in the last Star Trek movie.  I don't worry about him at all.  

The Mountain Between us wasn't great, but wasn't bad.  I'd say it was a tiny bit above average.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 3/22/2018 at 1:13 AM, pivot said:

Eh, Gwen's career tanked. She was never a good actress and terribly unlikable. She focused on her family and GOOP because she couldn't get any decent roles. Seriously, her small part in Ironman is the best she's got in ages.

I personally really disagree with this.  I think she's extremely charismatic and watchable (I know that she's polarizing) but I absolutely love her 90s-2000s movies like A Perfect Murder, A View from the Top, The Royal Tenenbaums.  

Gwyneth not being offered good roles because of sexism in Hollywood is more what I'd blame for her not being so visible anymore, rather than "her career tanking".  Personally.  Hollywood loves a young thing blonde and she's just not so young anymore.  Reese Witherspoon has complained about the exact same thing which is why she's so focused on producing and creating her own roles like in Big Little Lies or (the upcoming) Little Fires Everywhere.

• Love 7

I personally really disagree with this.  I think she's extremely charismatic and watchable (I know that she's polarizing) but I absolutely love her 90s-2000s movies like A Perfect Murder, A View from the Top, The Royal Tenenbaums.  

Gwyneth not being offered good roles because of sexism in Hollywood is more what I'd blame for her not being so visible anymore, rather than "her career tanking".  Personally.  Hollywood loves a young thing blonde and she's just not so young anymore.  Reese Witherspoon has complained about the exact same thing which is why she's so focused on producing and creating her own roles like in Big Little Lies or (the upcoming) Little Fires Everywhere.

Unpopular opinion? I like her in Emma. It's not great. I recognize that. But I still like that movie. I also liked Shakespeare in Love (I think... it's been a long time). 

I haven't seen her in anything more recent than Glee (I don't watch superhero movies anymore) so I don't know what her acting is like anymore. But my read is that either she's limited and she needs to be utilized in the way other limited actors are used... which for her I think means playing up that icy, unlikable quality. Actors get accused of playing themselves but what I really think they're doing is playing how people see them or whatever public persona is easiest for them to play. And she could definitely do that. Or, on the other hand, maybe she has depths I'm not aware of. (I remember not disliking Proof that much but I barely remember it.) In which case she could explore them if she wanted to and challenge herself. I think it's a different situation from Reese who has pretty much always been seen as talented (from the height of her career). There are still plenty of roles for thin blondes around Gywneth's age. Reese's problem was she's more of a pixie and she floundered a bit with the rom-com's. Also Vanity Fair. Her looks don't translate as well into adult roles (at least in the limited view of casting types... unless there are other things like box office performance, etc. to factor in). 

I would compare young Gwyneth to Julia Stiles or Keira Knightly and if she had displayed more talent or wanted to really pursue a career she might have had a career similar to one of theirs. But you can always see them thinking. Gwyneth has a slightly more vague and dreamy quality that other actors have mimicked but hers seems natural. It's a lack of dynamism that may or may not be a lack of acting talented (I vote that it's a choice but people can have their opinions.) I'd compare it to Blake Lively in Gossip Girl but Blake is further to the end of the spectrum where it's more bad acting to be that vacuous. 

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1

I think the problem with Gwyneth is that she was the perfect dreamy young girl ingenue, but when she aged out of that, she didn't have the range or the drive to keep herself on the A-list. And honestly, she comes from a pretty wealthy family. After her late 90's hey day she did some crappy romcoms in the early/mid-2000's and then had her kids and more or less bowed out, save for her Glee appearances or Iron Man.

But my read is that either she's limited and she needs to be utilized in the way other limited actors are used... which for her I think means playing up that icy, unlikable quality.

I can't unsee the suggestion that she should have played Amazing Amy in Gone Girl. That could have been incredible and tailor-made for her. Especially if she were playing opposite Ben Affleck, who she actually did date.

I can see her making a comeback in her 50's as the family matron character type, like her mother did. Right now she's at that weird place where she's too old to be the young leading lady, but she's too young to be the stately older woman.

It feels like  a lot of actresses seem to dip out after their ingenue days are done but then seem to make a comeback in their 50's. Jennifer Jason Leigh is currently on that path now. Here's a 2016 interview with her about her career comeback.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

When I heard Reese Witherspoon had bought the rights to Gone Girl, that is who I pictured playing Amy.  I could never understand  Rosamund Pike's version of the role.  She's so off from what I pictured.  Maybe Gwyneth would have been interesting.  Rosamund played the whole thing so blank I didn't get it.  Reese is the opposite of that - she can be so deranged and intense.

20 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It feels like  a lot of actresses seem to dip out after their ingenue days are done but then seem to make a comeback in their 50's. Jennifer Jason Leigh is currently on that path now. Here's a 2016 interview with her about her career comeback.

I'm sure Winona is younger than that, but she's going through a comeback too, with Stranger Things, Black Swan.  I watched Reality Bites recently and I thought she was utter perfection.  It's cool to see her still around.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm sure Winona is younger than that, but she's going through a comeback too, with Stranger Things, Black Swan.  I watched Reality Bites recently and I thought she was utter perfection.  It's cool to see her still around.

Winona will be 47 in October. :)

I can see her making a comeback in her 50's as the family matron character type, like her mother did. Right now she's at that weird place where she's too old to be the young leading lady, but she's too young to be the stately older woman.

She could do it earlier but as you said, she doesn't really need to. Goop is inexplicably doing well and already had money. She can be choosy. But if she wanted to work, she could definitely be the older/younger sister of plenty of current actors. I'm picturing one of those family ensemble movies like This Is Where I Leave You or August: Osage County. But I don't think she'd ever go for the small paycheck. I think her association with Brad Falchuk might hopefully inspire her to do something campy like his stuff with Ryan Murphy. I can definitely see her as a twisted former sorority girl/queen bee or Stepford wife or lifestyle guru, etc. I don't know if she has the range to be an interesting out and out villain (to me that's Charlize Theron) but I definitely think she has enough warmth to pull off one of these kinds of two-faced villains. Perfect on the surface, evil underneath.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

When I heard Reese Witherspoon had bought the rights to Gone Girl, that is who I pictured playing Amy.  I could never understand  Rosamund Pike's version of the role.  She's so off from what I pictured.  Maybe Gwyneth would have been interesting.  Rosamund played the whole thing so blank I didn't get it.  Reese is the opposite of that - she can be so deranged and intense.

I don't think Reese is able to drop her pursed type-A energy long enough to make you think that Amy isn't a calculating asshole from the beginning. I think Gwyneth is basically Amy (clearly less malevolent). Emily Blunt would have been good too. It's funny because as much as I complain about constantly casting Jennifer Lawrence, I actually think she would have been quite good, but too young, as Amy.

• Love 1

I think Reese would have made a great Amy. Like I said, the fact that no one would give her the opportunity to play that part would’ve made me drop my agent as well. She knew her worth and her talented. I respect that. She knew she could’ve done that part justice. Reese has an innocence to her that works in her favor, and she can play dark very well.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I can definitely see her as a twisted former sorority girl/queen bee or Stepford wife or lifestyle guru, etc.

When I saw this, the first thing I thought was, "Wasn't that what she did in Easy A?" and then I looked it up and realized it wasn't Gwyneth, it was Lisa Kudrow.

I'm not sure about Reese Witherspoon being able to pull off Amy Dunne. She's a better actress than some would give her credit for being, but I think the entire point is that Amy was supposed to be kind of blank. Amy was calculating, but even with her parents she was pretty detached and cold.

15 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I think Reese would have made a great Amy. Like I said, the fact that no one would give her the opportunity to play that part would’ve made me drop my agent as well. She knew her worth and her talented. I respect that. She knew she could’ve done that part justice. Reese has an innocence to her that works in her favor, and she can play dark very well.

I don't know what you mean.  Reese is the producer and owns the rights.  David Fincher didn't think she was right to play Amy, and Reese trusted him enough to go with his vision.  She could of easily decided to go with another director who would of agreed with her being Amy, but it was more important for her to have David as the director than to play the part herself.

Personally, I think she would of been good as Amy, but I appreciate that she created another opportunity for another woman.  From what I hear, Reese considered playing Amy but it wasn't a deal breaker or the reason she bought the rights.

• Love 2

I can't imagine anyone here watches Vanderpump Rules on Bravo. For the longest time, we've been calling one of the cast, Ariana, the "Amazing Ariana." When she joined the show, she seemed so cool, chill, and not about the fame. The longer she's been on, you can see these glimpses of her own neediness and crazy. She's smug and superior. She's just as shallow and interested in her looks as the rest of them even though she likes to play it off like she isn't and is the cool laidback chick. She's condescending and controlling. She was so much worse than viewers initially realized.

That's the same thing with Amy. She's got layers like an onion, but the outside packaging is deceptive. She's like a caramel onion. Not caramelized onions, but like the caramel onion prank. You think you're getting a delicious caramel apple, but instead it's an onion.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1
On 4/25/2018 at 1:43 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

When I saw this, the first thing I thought was, "Wasn't that what she did in Easy A?" and then I looked it up and realized it wasn't Gwyneth, it was Lisa Kudrow.

I'm not sure about Reese Witherspoon being able to pull off Amy Dunne. She's a better actress than some would give her credit for being, but I think the entire point is that Amy was supposed to be kind of blank. Amy was calculating, but even with her parents she was pretty detached and cold.

Reese's prettiness is accessible. I feel like Amy's beauty needed to have a snobbish, aloof quality to it, like a Grace Kelly type. I think that's what pushed Rosamund Pike to the top. She has that remote, icy blonde beauty to her.

• Love 5
On 4/25/2018 at 1:43 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

That wasn't my interpretation of the book whatsoever.  That seemed to be Rosamund's interpretation of the script, and I could never understand why.  

I find Reese more attractive than Rosamund too, and I would think that a lot of people would agree.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I find Reese more attractive than Rosamund too, and I would think that a lot of people would agree.  

It depends on your scale of attractiveness. I think Reese is prettier but Rosamund is more beautiful. That said, I wouldn't put Reese or Rosamund at the top end of either scale. There's an oddness to Reese's features that would make others better catalog models and Rosamund is too bland for that really interesting kind of beautiful. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Eugenio Derbez definitely seems to be carving out his niche of modestly budgeted comedy movies with an aim towards the Latino speaking audience. Good for him. Eugenio is helped by the fact that he's actually just handsome enough that he can play a lead, but not handsome enough that he'd get typecast in hunk parts.

There really does seem like a vacuum for Latino leading comedic men, because George Lopez's career seemed to fall off a cliff and his attempt at a movie career never really took off.

I remember in the 90's and the 2000's there seemed to be such a push at adding in Latino movies with stars like Antonio Banderas, Selma Hayek, Jennifer Lopez, etc etc but then that kind of seemed to fall off.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

There really does seem like a vacuum for Latino leading comedic men, because George Lopez's career seemed to fall off a cliff and his attempt at a movie career never really took off.

George Lopez as a romantic star?  LOL

(edited)
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

George Lopez as a romantic star?  LOL

Well, his movies weren't romantic but they were trying to make him a lead at some point. It just never took off.

My main point is that Eugenio definitely seems to be filling in a niche right now and his strategy of modestly budgeted comedy movies aimed at a Latino audience seems to be paying off. Overboard isn't exactly boffo box office, but it's already made back its production budget. It's a pretty shrewd strategy, honesty.

I'm really struggling to think of the last time we had a Latino leading man who does physical comedy in his movies. I can't think of any recent equivalent to Eugenio Derbez, which kind of makes sense.  Barring Jim Carey, 1990's and 2000's comedies were definitely about the frat boy pack.

Being a star to a niche audience definitely seems to be working for Derbez.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 5/7/2018 at 2:31 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Eugenio Derbez definitely seems to be carving out his niche of modestly budgeted comedy movies with an aim towards the Latino speaking audience. Good for him. Eugenio is helped by the fact that he's actually just handsome enough that he can play a lead, but not handsome enough that he'd get typecast in hunk parts.

I remember in the 90's and the 2000's there seemed to be such a push at adding in Latino movies with stars like Antonio Banderas, Selma Hayek, Jennifer Lopez, etc etc but then that kind of seemed to fall off.

That is true and I wonder why. I want to see Overboard, I think it will be cute. 

On 5/20/2018 at 1:37 PM, Scarlett45 said:

That is true and I wonder why.

My theory is that it's because the kinds of movies that would often feature Latino/Latina actors (low-to-mid-budget comedies, urban dramas, or period piece Westerns) aren't getting made like they used to be. And what's currently getting made now (namely action hero movies) aren't featuring Hispanic actors/actors prominently. I guess there's the Fast and the Furious franchise, I suppose. And then there was Spy Kids, but that was over a decade ago now.

Overboard was cute. And it looks like it should close out in the low-to-mid 40's, which is pretty good for romantic comedies these days.

Anyway, I was thinking about Josh Brolin and he really seems to be coming into his own right now. The rugged, brawny looks that he inherited from his dad didn't really serve him well in terms of getting leads back during the 90's and 2000's when everything was about the pretty boys as romantic leads or boyish manchildren in frat pack comedies, but it's sure as shit allowing him to do great as the heavy in the action hero era. Not to mention dark, gritty dramas like Sicario.

Jon Hamm also had kind of a similar problem in terms of the fact that his Old Hollywood looks just didn't fit what was wanted during the time he was an actor in his 20's and early 30's. They did, however, serve him great as the leading man in the 1960's-set Mad Men.  Of course, his lead movie parts that he got AFTER Mad Men haven't done so hot. Currently, he seems to treading water and playing a lot of supporting parts, which is keeping him in the game right now. Baby Driver was definitely his best work post-Mad Men, in my opinion.

*I saw Marjorie Prime and honestly that movie did not do it for me, save for playing "I Shall Be Released" by the Band.

• Love 2

I'm really struggling to think of the last time we had a Latino leading man who does physical comedy in his movies. 

Can I count Antonio Banderas if we focus on Spy Kids and maybe Zorro? 

And what's currently getting made now (namely action hero movies) aren't featuring Hispanic actors/actors prominently.

Look, you're not going to get an argument from me if you want to say that POC mostly get supporting roles. But I feel like whenever people are like "see there's one Hispanic person (sometimes lead or secondary lead) in the movie" the name that comes up is usually Michael Pena. I mean, there's Zoe Saldana even if she's usually blue or green. I feel like unlike when there was more of an attempt to appeal to the Hispanic/Latinx market in film and especially in music, what's happening now is a lot of smaller roles. Same thing for the Asian community in a vague attempt to "appeal to China" without having to cast an Asian lead (we'll see if Crazy Rich Asians can perform well enough at the box office to change anything). Like Dafne Keen in Logan.  

• Love 1

He's Spanish, so you can't really count him at all. 

Ah, you're right. Hollywood uses him for everything... Argentinian, Mexican, French that one time... that I forgot he's actually Spanish.

I can't think of many physical comedy actors in general though. I feel like there was a transition from physical comedy to gross out comedy and I lost interest in most of those mainstream movies. The last time I remember physical comedy being big in a movie was when Leslie Nielsen, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, and young Jim Carrey were stars. I guess maybe Melissa McCarthy movies have some physical comedy but I don't watch them. Or maybe Adam Sandler movies if getting hit in the crotch counts as physical comedy. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, Eugenio Derbez definitely seems to be filling a niche right now that no else is doing. The late 1990's to late 2000's really were all about the frat pack manchildren and gross-out humor. This decade it's gotten a bit more diverse, but I can't think of anyone else doing what Eugenio is doing right now.

And speaking of gross-out comedy- not surprised Action Point failed. I liked it, but that brand of Jack-Ass humor (mixing physical comedy with gross-out comedy) doesn't really appeal like it did back in '01. And teenagers of now can just watch that kind of humor on YouTube for free.

Alicia Silverstone seems like she's trying to chart another comeback. Makes sense- her only child is getting to be school-age now and she's nursing her way through a divorce. I'm not wild about her crusading vegan persona, but she's always had a pretty charming on-screen presence. Maybe she should try to make friends with Reese Witherspoon.

Finally, it's pretty cool to see how Michelle Pfeiffer and Laura Dern seem to be doing a lot more work these days.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was really happy to see that Alicia and Mena Suvari are starring in that new show American Woman, because they're two of my favourite 90s stars  - well, okay , I worship the ground that Alicia walks on - but who knows what will actually become of that show.  Whoever casted it definitely has my same taste in actors, and/or are maybe my exact same age.  I wonder if Kyle Richards had a major hand in casting.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I wonder what Alicia's career might have looked liked if she had broken out in her 20's instead of as a teenager. She was being treated as this sexy young thing at 16/17 because of her Aerosmith videos, and became a household name at 18 because of Clueless. Then she gained weight and became the target of brutal jokes, and her career was never the same after that even after she lost the weight. I really think she just wasn't ready for the kind of media attention she got and it hampered her in some ways.

On the other hand, I'm glad she was an actual teenager playing a teenager in Clueless instead of using Dawson Casting.

She does seem pretty comfortable as a working actress instead of the superstar everybody wanted her to be. And despite her career stalling, she never did any of the typical former child star stuff so my hat's off to her for that.

• Love 12
On 6/15/2018 at 9:52 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Alicia Silverstone seems like she's trying to chart another comeback. Makes sense- her only child is getting to be school-age now and she's nursing her way through a divorce. I'm not wild about her crusading vegan persona, but she's always had a pretty charming on-screen presence. Maybe she should try to make friends with Reese Witherspoon.

I kind of live for the day where they play sisters in a movie together. It just feels like something that would write itself once you get them in the same room. 

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, raezen said:

I'm curious about the criteria for this award. 

Wikipedia:

MTV Generation Award

The MTV Generation Award is the successor to the MTV Lifetime Achievement Award, though it is more serious than its predecessor. The recipient of the award is celebrated for great achievement in movies. The distinction "is given to an artist who has shown us a variety of impressive roles, a personal and professional flair and of course, an awesome level of talent."[5]

2005: Tom Cruise

2006: Jim Carrey

2007: Mike Myers

2008: Adam Sandler

2009: Ben Stiller

2010: Sandra Bullock

2011: Reese Witherspoon

2012: Johnny Depp

2013: Jamie Foxx

2014: Mark Wahlberg

2015: Robert Downey, Jr.

2016: Will Smith

2017: The Fast and the Furious franchise

2018: Chris Pratt

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)

So basically, looking at that list, with the exception of two years, the biggest requirement is being a dude. And it helps if you're a white dude.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 12

It's kind of shocking that it took until 2016 to give Will Smith this bullshit award. His films have been making millions for years. And it's shocking because the best known property he's adapted was Wild Wild West, which bombed. He starred in the adaption of the basically unknown Men in Black comic book and the Inner Circle song that is the theme song for Cops. I don't even like Will Smith, but he should have gotten one a full decade earlier than he did. It's possible his schedule didn't allow him to be there to accept an award until 2016.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:18 PM, VCRTracking said:

MTV Generation Award

The MTV Generation Award is the successor to the MTV Lifetime Achievement Award, though it is more serious than its predecessor. The recipient of the award is celebrated for great achievement in movies. The distinction "is given to an artist who has shown us a variety of impressive roles, a personal and professional flair and of course, an awesome level of talent."

I'd also argue that Chris Pratt's best known roles don't even fit that brief. Is Owen all that different from Peter Quill, Barry, or Bright Abbott? Emmett Brickowski and Andy Dwyer are a lot sweeter than the douchebros he usually plays. Chris Pratt just happened to have 2 huge movies coming out this year which is why he got this award.

• Love 6

Sounds like MTV's version of People's Most Beautiful/Handsome.

As I recall, their first Lifetime Achievement Award went to Jackie Chan, who, it turned out, was just starting the Hollywood stage of his career.

• Love 1

I thought that Zoey Deutch was WONDERFUL in "Set it Up".  I already knew I liked her in "Before I Fall", but this was just a much more enjoyable movie overall and a great showcase for her as so many more people will see it, I think.  Good for her.  I'm glad that a woman directed this movie, and I'm glad that this movie had great roles for both Zoey and Lucy Liu.  I'll be a fan of Lucy's forever and she still looks so incredibly amazing.  That sounds shallow, but the movie just didn't give her enough to do.  It's kind of sad that this pretty young white actress got to star in this movie and I don't remember Lucy starring in a movie herself, ever.

• Love 3

Zoey Deutch definitely has star quality and she makes a great romantic comedy heroine. I'm glad Netflix gave her and Glen Powell the opportunity to show off their charm and charisma given that mainstream studio don't really make movies like that anymore.

• Love 4
(edited)

Amandla Stenberg officially came out as a lesbian. Good for her. I'm curious to see if this will impact her career, because right now she's getting a lot of lead roles in smaller YA films. I want to feel like it shouldn't make any difference, but most celebs who came out tended to do so after they had established themselves rather than when they were on the ascent.

They don't seem to be pushing her as like the All-American wholesome girl-next-door who just happens to be black a la Brandy back in the 90's. Amandla's career choices seem to be a bit more eclectic than that, so her being a lesbian shouldn't be that big of a deal. I do think that's part of what held Raven Simone back from coming out when she was at the height of her That's So Raven Disney fame.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

She had previously come out as non-binary, bi, and later pansexual 3 or 4 years ago. I'm assuming studios know what they're getting with her. But you never know especially because she's Black and outspoken about racial issues.

• Love 2
(edited)

That might be why Amandla didn't get a lot of push in Disney or Nick teen idol roles, although that whole machine isn't what it used to be. Amandla is definitely lucky that she was able to launch herself from something like the Hunger Games.

Looking over her filmography and biography right now, she definitely seemed like she was choosy with her roles and took the time to do what she wanted outside of acting, which always seems like a good thing to do for child stars. She definitely doesn't seem like the case of a child star who's supporting their parents and therefore they have to do a ton of stuff.

The insane amount of work that child actors like Kirsten Dunst did always seem to come with a price. In Kirsten's case, her mental breakdown in her mid-20's just made so much sense.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)

Tom Cruise is auditioning young actors to play Goose's son in Top Gun 2. Austin Butler and Dylan O'Brien were previously considered. Glen Powell, Nicholas Hoult, and Miles Teller are the front runners. I love Glen Powell and Nicholas Hoult. While Top Gun 2 would probably be good for their careers, I don't want either of them connected with the crazy that is Tom Cruise, Scientology, or Clearwater. I'll happily let them have Miles Teller, who is an asshole. A talented asshole, but an asshole nonetheless. I'm surprised the beautiful talentless trees (Scott Eastwood and Liam Hemsworthwood) weren't on the list.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/glen-powell-nicholas-hoult-miles-teller-on-the-top-gun-2-shortlist.html

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/top-gun-2-casting-key-role-gooses-son-1123513?utm_source=twitter

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
On 2018-06-26 at 10:03 PM, methodwriter85 said:

That might be why Amandla didn't get a lot of push in Disney or Nick teen idol roles, although that whole machine isn't what it used to be. Amandla is definitely lucky that she was able to launch herself from something like the Hunger Games.

Looking over her filmography and biography right now, she definitely seemed like she was choosy with her roles and took the time to do what she wanted outside of acting, which always seems like a good thing to do for child stars. She definitely doesn't seem like the case of a child star who's supporting their parents and therefore they have to do a ton of stuff.

The insane amount of work that child actors like Kirsten Dunst did always seem to come with a price. In Kirsten's case, her mental breakdown in her mid-20's just made so much sense.

I didn't see the first Hunger Games in theatres but when I did I remember my sister andI wondered aloud why we didn't see 'Rue' everywhere. Then some time later I saw the video she made talking about cultural appropriation, and I thought "that's why". I think Amandla would have been very unhappy as a Disney kid because there is always a price paid to belong to the club.