Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

Andrew Garfield was so enamored with Michael's work on The Wire that he pestered everyone with ears to cast Michael as MJ  in Spider-Man sequel.

As... Mary Jane?

Speaking of Garfield, his plays for serious actor cred (99 Homes, Hacksaw Ridge, Breathe... basically everything since Spiderman) haven't really panned out but the Angels in America revival might get him some respect. I don't know what anyone could have seen in his performance in The Social Network and none of his other movies have appealed to me so I just have kind of trust that other people think he's a good actor.

• Love 1

I've been watching Michael since his days on All My Children as Reggie.

I remember thinking he was not good on All My Children (but that could also be because All My Children's writing wasn't stellar), but he's obviously flourished into one of the best actors of his generation. I don't think he's quite as charismatic as a young Will Smith, and he hasn't had much comedic material (don't see That Awkward Moment) but his work with Ryan Coogler has been really great. I'm glad that Black Panther is giving both Michael B Jordan and Ryan Coogler the recognition they deserve, since Fruitvale Station was largely overlooked, and Sylvester Stalone got all the attention with Creed.

I'm also guessing they meant Harry Osbourne.

Wasn't Andrew Garfield campaigning hard for a bisexual Spiderman? Looked it up, he definitely meant MJ.

• Love 2

....Garfield got his second Oscar nomination out of Hacksaw.

His first. He was snubbed for The Social Network, which I'm still bitter about. His delivery of "My Prada's at the cleaners with my hoodie and my fuck-you flip-flops, you pretentious douchebag" deserved all the awards.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Andrew Garfield was so enamored with Michael's work on The Wire that he pestered everyone with ears to cast Michael as MJ  in Spider-Man sequel. I wish they had cast Michael B. Jordan as Harry Osborne as opposed to the anemic Dane Dehaan.

I think one atrocious comic book reboot is enough for anyone's resume. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Andrew Garfield was so enamored with Michael's work on The Wire that he pestered everyone with ears to cast Michael as MJ  in Spider-Man sequel. I wish they had cast Michael B. Jordan as Harry Osborne as opposed to the anemic Dane Dehaan. I've been watching Michael since his days on All My Children as Reggie.

But then again, I've been watching Ryan Gosling since Breaker High too.

He isn't really a hearthrob but his eyes are beautiful. He's also had an intersting work history.

On 2/27/2018 at 4:49 AM, aradia22 said:

As... Mary Jane?

On 2/27/2018 at 8:06 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'm also guessing they meant Harry Osbourne.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:10 AM, absnow54 said:

Wasn't Andrew Garfield campaigning hard for a bisexual Spiderman? Looked it up, he definitely meant MJ.

Yup. As MJ. Garfield's whole point was "who has said that MJ has to be Mary Jane or a girl. Perhaps MJ is a guy." I wish I could find one of the interviews where the director responds with an exasperated "Ugh, the MJ thing." Garfield really didn't seem to let up on this issue with anyone.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:10 AM, absnow54 said:

I remember thinking he was not good on All My Children (but that could also be because All My Children's writing wasn't stellar), but he's obviously flourished into one of the best actors of his generation. I don't think he's quite as charismatic as a young Will Smith, and he hasn't had much comedic material (don't see That Awkward Moment) but his work with Ryan Coogler has been really great. I'm glad that Black Panther is giving both Michael B Jordan and Ryan Coogler the recognition they deserve, since Fruitvale Station was largely overlooked, and Sylvester Stalone got all the attention with Creed.

The one major defense I'll give Jordan is that soaps barely rehearse and shoot so many pages a day that it's a miracle that more acting on them isn't abysmal. An average 1 day soap script is 40 -60 pages. The average feature length script is 100 -120 pages. A soap films a feature length worth of pages every 2 - 3 days. For a film, it takes 3 months to film those same pages. It's a miracle that anyone turns in a good performance on a soap opera. I don't think there is nearly enough respect given to actors who started on soaps. That shit is truly the trenches. Folks like Sherry Stringfield and Julianne Moore put together really compelling performances in some pretty tough acting circumstances.

21 hours ago, dusang said:

I think one atrocious comic book reboot is enough for anyone's resume. 

You're evil, but Fant4stic was execrable.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6

Wasn't MBJ's character supposed to have a romance with Amanda Seyfried's character on All My Children and the racist Brian Frons nixed that? That's all I really remember about Reggie. It's pretty awesome that he's got a legitimate shot at a Denzel Washington level career.

Speaking of Amanda Seyfried, it looks like the Mama Mia sequel is going to be essentially about her as well as Young Donna. I've always liked Amanda and thought it was kind of a shame that she's never really took off as a leading lady, but she does seem to be pretty solid as a supporting actress. Now that she's getting older I can picture her transitioning into Jane Krawkowski type brassy blonde roles.

I've always liked Amanda and thought it was kind of a shame that she's never really took off as a leading lady, but she does seem to be pretty solid as a supporting actress. Now that she's getting older I can picture her transitioning into Jane Krawkowski type brassy blonde roles.

I think she's a totally different type than JK. She has large wide-set eyes and soft features. I think she was just the wrong type of ingenue for the time she entered the business. Visually, she's more of a Drew Barrymore but she doesn't have that likability. If she has the talent, I can see her being a Kirsten Dunst. She's beautiful but in a slightly odd way (as opposed to girl next door). I can see her finding a Sofia Coppola or someone very into aesthetics who knows how to film her so she looks her best and who wants to make kind of weird artsy movies. I think she would always struggle against actresses who have more of that mainstream look. And Margot Robbie is already grabbing all those roles for the more model-pretty blond actress. I think Seyfried needs to get weird. Either go to horror movies or period pieces. She could definitely have a Kate Winslet or Keira Knightley period-piece heavy career though I don't think those movies are popular enough right now to sustain a career. Maybe she could find a TV show like Christina Ricci with the Lizzie Borden and Zelda stuff or Dakota Fanning with Alienist. That's the group I see Seyfried in. She's a little hampered by her appearance. 

• Love 3

I ended up clicking on the first page of this thread (from 2014) and was tickled to see a lot of discussion about Amy Adams. I was just thinking about her because I just rewatched American Hustle and was reminded of how good she is. I think her performance was easily the best, most compelling one in the film (it's laughable that she was overshadowed by JLaw when it came to awards talk). Not only that, it's such a different role for her - I don't think I've ever seen her play a sexy, devious, morally questionable character. That made me realize how versatile an actress she is. If anything, I think she's known for playing sweet, ingenue characters, like in Catch Me If You Can, Enchanted, Junebug, and Doubt (I haven't seen some of these, so maybe I'm off). But she can also play chilly (e.g., Nocturnal Animals), a little tough (The Fighter), smart and down to earth (Arrival), and, as noted above, sexy (American Hustle).  I've never considered her one of my favorite actors, but when I stop and think about her career, I have to acknowledge how good she is. Her performances tend to be understated, so I don't think of her as having star power per se, but I think she's in it for the long haul.

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, sweetcookieface said:

I ended up clicking on the first page of this thread (from 2014) and was tickled to see a lot of discussion about Amy Adams. I was just thinking about her because I just rewatched American Hustle and was reminded of how good she is. I think her performance was easily the best, most compelling one in the film (it's laughable that she was overshadowed by JLaw when it came to awards talk). Not only that, it's such a different role for her - I don't think I've ever seen her play a sexy, devious, morally questionable character. That made me realize how versatile an actress she is. If anything, I think she's known for playing sweet, ingenue characters, like in Catch Me If You Can, Enchanted, Junebug, and Doubt (I haven't seen some of these, so maybe I'm off). But she can also play chilly (e.g., Nocturnal Animals), a little tough (The Fighter), smart and down to earth (Arrival), and, as noted above, sexy (American Hustle).  I've never considered her one of my favorite actors, but when I stop and think about her career, I have to acknowledge how good she is. Her performances tend to be understated, so I don't think of her as having star power per se, but I think she's in it for the long haul.

I hope Sharp Objects will be good, because I think she's a good fit as Camilla Preake.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2/26/2018 at 10:22 PM, HunterHunted said:

I've been watching Michael since his days on All My Children as Reggie.

I just found out that Chadwick Boseman was the original Reggie, how funny. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I just found out that Chadwick Boseman was the original Reggie, how funny. 

I never knew that. I looked it up. Chadwick played Reggie for 2 weeks and they recast with Michael B. Jordan, kind of echoes some of themes in Black Panther.

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I think she's a totally different type than JK. She has large wide-set eyes and soft features. I think she was just the wrong type of ingenue for the time she entered the business. Visually, she's more of a Drew Barrymore but she doesn't have that likability. If she has the talent, I can see her being a Kirsten Dunst. She's beautiful but in a slightly odd way (as opposed to girl next door). I can see her finding a Sofia Coppola or someone very into aesthetics who knows how to film her so she looks her best and who wants to make kind of weird artsy movies. I think she would always struggle against actresses who have more of that mainstream look. And Margot Robbie is already grabbing all those roles for the more model-pretty blond actress. I think Seyfried needs to get weird. Either go to horror movies or period pieces. She could definitely have a Kate Winslet or Keira Knightley period-piece heavy career though I don't think those movies are popular enough right now to sustain a career. Maybe she could find a TV show like Christina Ricci with the Lizzie Borden and Zelda stuff or Dakota Fanning with Alienist. That's the group I see Seyfried in. She's a little hampered by her appearance. 

I do think she would have done pretty well in the 60's or the 70's, although she would have been a bit too ample for 70's movie star standards, which really seemed to like the Anorexia Squad look, as someone put it, back then. (Referring to Diane Keaton, Sally Field, and Sissy Spacek.) A 1970's career for Amanda probably would have had her on t.v. as a Giggle Queen like Suzanne Somers. T.V probably would be her best bet in any decade. Lily Kane has remained her best role. Mama Mia 2 should probably do well, in any event. Not sure how much that will boost her, but it won't hurt.

Speaking of Mama Mia, Lily James is really acquitting herself quite nicely. It's funny that she was basically the replacement for Jessica Brown Findlay, but her career is showing a lot more promise than hers. Right now she's looking like she's got a legitimate shot at making A or B list, while Jessica hasn't done much. Winter's Tale was disastrous and it doesn't seem like she's gotten over that ding.

JBF does have a very lovely speaking voice, though. She should totally do voiceover work.

Back to "hampered by appearance"....Kat Dennings also doesn't really look conventional, and her voice is on the nasal, high side, also hampering her. I do like her as an actress and she has turned to t.v. to keep her career going after failing to break in as a movie ingenue. I think she basically said as much when she started Two Broke Girls, admitting that she's taking the role because she wasn't getting much traction in movies because she's hard to cast.

She probably would have done great in the 50's though with her pin-up body and dollface.

Edited by methodwriter85

I just watched the movie Chloe with Amanda Seyfried. It wasn't a great movie so I don't want to blame her for a bad performance. Also, she was super miscast. It's basically one of those Lifetime crazy stalker movies except it thinks it's smarter than it is. The only one who gets out OK is Julianne Moore because they give her one or two decent monologues that she could act in her sleep. I still think Seyfried might work with a director who is aesthetic AF but Chloe wasn't a good showcase as far as horror/thrillers go because it didn't let her get weird enough. Her hair was really pretty and sometimes the movie took advantage of her big eyes. Otherwise the direction was really basic. 

Re: Kat Dennings. I feel like she could be a Lizzy Caplan, sarcastic type but she's way too curvy for Hollywood to see that all the time. I vaguely remember her playing the sort of moody friend character in this movie. I don't know if I'd say she would have done well in the 1950's. They were gorgeous in the 50's. When I think doll face I think young Elizabeth Taylor. I think Hollywood is very confused because she seems like a comedian but she's got Christina Hendricks proportions but she isn't fat. You can be thin and pretty. You can be thin and funny. You can be fat and funny. But curvy and sexy and funny isn't as much of a type. Unless maybe you're like a drunk, raunchy aunt and she's not old enough for those parts. I guess they think that as a side character you'd pull focus from the lead. Sarah Silverman is doing OK for herself but 1. I think Kat Dennings is much more endowed that she is and 2. Silverman already made a name for herself before she started really getting acting roles. I wonder if there's anyone Kat Dennings could believably play in a biopic. She could always go the indie route but I just don't see her body type working for the mainstream movie roles that are being cast right now. Everyone is pretty thin in that way we've been tricked into thinking of as "healthy" though it's still much more fit and thin than the average woman. Like, we've been fooled into thinking Jennifer Lawrence and Margot Robbie are curvy. 

On 3/2/2018 at 1:27 PM, sweetcookieface said:

I ended up clicking on the first page of this thread (from 2014) and was tickled to see a lot of discussion about Amy Adams. I was just thinking about her because I just rewatched American Hustle and was reminded of how good she is. I think her performance was easily the best, most compelling one in the film (it's laughable that she was overshadowed by JLaw when it came to awards talk). Not only that, it's such a different role for her - I don't think I've ever seen her play a sexy, devious, morally questionable character.

Oh but she has! My first exposure to Adams was in Cruel Intentions 2, where she played Kathryn Merteuil. She was sexy, devious, and morally questionable.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, afterbite said:

Oh but she has! My first exposure to Adams was in Cruel Intentions 2, where she played Kathryn Merteuil. She was sexy, devious, and morally questionable.

My first exposure to Adams was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the episode "Family" where she played Tara's horrible bitch of a cousin, Beth!

c9072b4e06236f803a16419a58272677.gif

Speaking of Buffy, I posted earlier about my theory that actors become stars when there's a void that needs to be filled. Well I also think actors don't become movie stars when there's not. Like why didn't Sarah Michelle Gellar become a big movie star? Because Reese Witherspoon exists!

• Love 3

Like why didn't Sarah Michelle Gellar become a big movie star? Because Reese Witherspoon exists!

I think I probably first saw Amy Adams in that episode of Smallville.

I agree with you on SMG but not because the space was too competitive, but because Reese Witherspoon was a better version of SMG. If SMG had been more talented, I think she would have also become a big movie star. Sometimes there's room for more than one petite blonde. If you have Kristen Bell and you have Reese Witherspoon, why do you need SMG?

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I think I probably first saw Amy Adams in that episode of Smallville.

I agree with you on SMG but not because the space was too competitive, but because Reese Witherspoon was a better version of SMG. If SMG had been more talented, I think she would have also become a big movie star. Sometimes there's room for more than one petite blonde. If you have Kristen Bell and you have Reese Witherspoon, why do you need SMG?

Oh I think SMG was incredibly talented. Going back to when she was the first Kendall Hart on All My Children. There are absolutely heartbreaking scenes she did on Buffy that still make me tear up. I do agree with the sentiment your last statement. Even though SMG got the flashier role in Cruel Intentions compared to Reese's "good girl", the movie was lumped in with the other teen flicks of 1999 while Reese got to impress people in a more critically acclaimed movie that year, Election.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I think Reese picked better projects, and since she wasn't tied up with a television schedule, probably had more flexibility in the projects she could pick. Although Reese almost got pigeonholed into a Kate-Hudson-rom-com niche until people started taking her seriously with Walk the Line. I think Sarah Michelle Gellar got a lot of momentum from the Grudge, but unfortunately that never panned out, and she's stuck with mostly TV ever since.

• Love 5

@VCRTracking I'm thinking of movies like Simply Irresistible and Scooby Doo. SMG got her shot. She came across as more serious (as opposed to bubbly, likable, sweet, etc.) like Reese but without the edge. She's a bit flat as an actress. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I think Reese picked better projects, and since she wasn't tied up with a television schedule, probably had more flexibility in the projects she could pick. Although Reese almost got pigeonholed into a Kate-Hudson-rom-com niche until people started taking her seriously with Walk the Line. I think Sarah Michelle Gellar got a lot of momentum from the Grudge, but unfortunately that never panned out, and she's stuck with mostly TV ever since.

I distinctly remember after The Grudge came out and was a hit, her talent agency (I think it was William Morris?) was quoted in the press about how that movie had done wonders for SMG, who they claimed was a "nobody" at that point, as Buffy had been cancelled the year before. SMG left them shortly after that statement was made public. I have no idea if that quote did any damage to her career going forward, but I can't help but wonder...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I mean, who would have guessed Legally Blonde would be such a huge hit, both financially and with some critics? Reese even got a Golden Globe nomination. That movie is what really made her a household name and put her on the A-List.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

@VCRTracking I'm thinking of movies like Simply Irresistible and Scooby Doo. SMG got her shot. She came across as more serious (as opposed to bubbly, likable, sweet, etc.) like Reese but without the edge. She's a bit flat as an actress. 

I think the problem with SMG was that they wanted to put her in bubbly romantic comedies like every other 20-something actress during that time period, and those kind of roles weren't right for her. There's an iciness to SMG that she played to absolute perfection in Cruel Intentions and she wasn't able to find more roles like that. I do think if you had a 22-year old Sarah Michelle Gellar now she would probably have a better chance because the movie climate has changed and young women aren't really being pushed to the romantic comedy roles now. Kristen Bell had the same kind of problem- they tried pushing her in romantic comedies and they weren't really right for her, either. It didn't help that by that time (the late 2000's) the genre was declining pretty fast and hard.

Reese Witherspoon was more versatile. She could be the weird, quirky indie darling. (Freeway, Election.) She could be the American Sweetheart. (Cruel Intentions, Sweet Home Alabama, Legally Blonde.) She could be the slut with the heart of gold. (Pleasantville.) It's not really a surprise that she was the one of that 90's startlet cohort group who broke out into wide mainstream success.

It also probably helped that Alicia Silverstone, as it was once put, went from Batgirl to Fatgirl. That, plus the failure of Batman & Robin and Excess Baggage (cue more jokes) pretty much killed her momentum. It's a shame that Blast From the Past wasn't a hit.

• Love 5

I think the problem with SMG was that they wanted to put her in bubbly romantic comedies like every other 20-something actress during that time period, and those kind of roles weren't right for her. There's an iciness to SMG that she played to absolute perfection in Cruel Intentions and she wasn't able to find more roles like that.

Yes. I think that icy quality comes across as emotionally flat in a lot of the roles she did get. The problem is, even now that's not something that's generally asked for from petite, thin blondes. Basically the only roles I can think of are mean girls (e.g. Regina George) and romantic rivals (ex girlfriends, current girlfriends, and just any other condescending woman interested in the romantic lead). They aren't lead roles (which is what I assume SMG would want) and they usually call for a different type (more model-like, tall, etc.). 

And yes, Reese Witherspoon's talent and versatility helped her until she too started to fall into the rom-com trap. But I think she's been getting herself out of it. I think the rom-com trap can be tempting because it's usually the best chance an actress has for being a big box office earner. Also, Reese had luck with Legally Blonde, Sweet Home Alabama, etc. so I get why she kept trying to regain that even as she aged out of (older) ingenue and the scripts became terrible (This Means War, How Do You Know, etc.).

This is making me think of Jennifer Aniston. With that Friends money, she probably didn't need to work again. And she has a bunch of endorsement deals too. She's made some indies in a play for credibility but otherwise I don't get her career. It doesn't seem like she's shooting for wild mainstream success and it doesn't seem like she's going for really fun or interesting creative projects and she also isn't lending her starpower to smaller fare. I don't get it. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I mean, who would have guessed Legally Blonde would be such a huge hit, both financially and with some critics? Reese even got a Golden Globe nomination. That movie is what really made her a household name and put her on the A-List.

It really was. She had mainly done Indie movies before that, other than Cruel Intentions, and that was both a movie with an ensemble cast, and a long list of teen movies released in the late 90's.

I have to give a shout out to her first movie though, The Man in the Moon. She actually auditioned to be an extra, but kept getting called back to auditions, and wound up in the lead role. She was only 14 and just adorable. Her face looks EXACTLY the same as it does today. :) 

• Love 5

I felt for a while what killed Reese (for me anyway) was after her Oscar win she suddenly started taking herself too seriously. Her roles stopped being fun or even interesting. They were just Serious! Roles in a Serious! Movie. I feel like she's taken a break from Oscar baiting and it's done her wonders.

• Love 2

I feel like she's taken a break from Oscar baiting and it's done her wonders.

Yeah, now she's in it for the Emmys. I kid. She's also proven to be an incredible producer. It must have taken a lot to turn down the role of Amy Dunne in Gone Girl, but it was a smart move for the film.

• Love 4
(edited)
27 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Yeah, now she's in it for the Emmys. I kid. She's also proven to be an incredible producer. It must have taken a lot to turn down the role of Amy Dunne in Gone Girl, but it was a smart move for the film.

I don't think that was her decision, exactly. She brought on David Fincher to the project and he didn't want to cast her as Amy. Theoretically, though, I suppose she could have fired him for a different director who would have been happy with her in the role, but it probably wouldn't have been someone as well regarded as Fincher.

If Ben Affleck hadn't been Nick, I think Gwyneth Paltrow would have also been a good choice for Amy, if she was still interested in acting. Maybe the consensus now is that Cate Blanchett should have won the Oscar that year,  but I felt Gwyneth was fairly talented at acting, unlike a lot of the other stars who've drifted away from the profession that made them famous to become lifestyle gurus/fashion moguls/etc.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 4

I think Gwyneth Paltrow would have also been a good choice for Amy, if she was still interested in acting.

Wow. I kind of love that idea. I think she would have played the long suffering wife angle really well, so that the twist in the middle would really hit you. I think Rosamund Pike was phenomenal as Amy, but mostly in the second half after her plan had been revealed, her Amy from before wasn't nearly as strong.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Dejana said:

If Ben Affleck hadn't been Nick, I think Gwyneth Paltrow would have also been a good choice for Amy, if she was still interested in acting. Maybe the consensus now is that Cate Blanchett should have won the Oscar that year,  but I felt Gwyneth was fairly talented at acting, unlike a lot of the other stars who've drifted away from the profession that made them famous to become lifestyle gurus/fashion moguls/etc.

2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Wow. I kind of love that idea. I think she would have played the long suffering wife angle really well, so that the twist in the middle would really hit you. I think Rosamund Pike was phenomenal as Amy, but mostly in the second half after her plan had been revealed, her Amy from before wasn't nearly as strong.

Also Paltrow played the doomed wife in a previous David Fincher movie,  Se7en so it would have been a great way to fool people.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Dejana said:

I don't think that was her decision, exactly. She brought on David Fincher to the project and he didn't want to cast her as Amy. Theoretically, though, I suppose she could have fired him for a different director who would have been happy with her in the role, but it probably wouldn't have been someone as well regarded as Fincher.

Yes, I remember when she gave an interview to either Glamour or InStyle back in 2014/early 2015. She said that when David told her he didn't want to cast her as Amy, she immediately fired her agent. She was having an extremely difficult time getting good parts, and that was the last straw. Good for her. I loved her in Wild.

• Love 3
On 3/2/2018 at 9:10 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I do think she would have done pretty well in the 60's or the 70's, although she would have been a bit too ample for 70's movie star standards, which really seemed to like the Anorexia Squad look, as someone put it, back then. (Referring to Diane Keaton, Sally Field, and Sissy Spacek.) A 1970's career for Amanda probably would have had her on t.v. as a Giggle Queen like Suzanne Somers. T.V probably would be her best bet in any decade. Lily Kane has remained her best role. Mama Mia 2 should probably do well, in any event. Not sure how much that will boost her, but it won't hurt.

I hadn't thought of Amanda in the 60s or 70s. Every time I look at Amanda, I always think "Damn, you would have given Mary Pickford or Lillian Gish a run for their money."

12 hours ago, Dejana said:

Cate won the year before; that year was Julianne Moore's overdue coronation, so Gwyneth would not have won her second. She still has not been nominated since she won, although if it were Cate that year it would've been sweet revenge since Gwyneth beat her. I'm very intrigued by the idea of her as Amazing Amy. I'd really like to see her back in a big, juicy role worthy of her talents like that. Those Marvel paychecks must be nice though.

I really love how Reese has reinvented herself as a mega TV producer that everyone (read: women of a certain age) are flocking to work with. She also has more acting TV projects in the works now (BLL, the two-season morning tv show series with Jennifer Aniston, Little Fires Everywhere with Kerry Washington) than film.

• Love 3

I'm very intrigued by the idea of her as Amazing Amy. I'd really like to see her back in a big, juicy role worthy of her talents like that. Those Marvel paychecks must be nice though.

I feel like Anne Hathaway has been quiet but ultimately she'll try and come back with likable roles, though maybe not the sorts of ingenue roles she really made her name on (though, who knows). But with Gwyneth... I'm kind of into the idea of her really leaning into her unlikability and everything about her that grates. Cate Blanchett and Nicole Kidman tend to get those ice queen roles though they actually seem pretty fun and warm off screen. And then there's the Laura Dern type of brittle. But Gwyneth could definitely be in that space. She's too busy with Goop to have a consistent career doing that but maybe for the right role... 

The one thing is that I don't think I've ever seen her give a very "big" performance. Like, the kind of performance that gets Oscar nominations. The kind that involves ranting and raving and big confrontations. The kind of thing Julianne Moore or Meryl Streep or Charlize Theron could do in their sleep. But if she's got it in her, I'd love to see Gwyneth channel her persona into a character only to shock people with a big dramatic scene.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, alihart41 said:

Cate won the year before; that year was Julianne Moore's overdue coronation, so Gwyneth would not have won her second. She still has not been nominated since she won, although if it were Cate that year it would've been sweet revenge since Gwyneth beat her. I'm very intrigued by the idea of her as Amazing Amy. I'd really like to see her back in a big, juicy role worthy of her talents like that. Those Marvel paychecks must be nice though.

I really love how Reese has reinvented herself as a mega TV producer that everyone (read: women of a certain age) are flocking to work with. She also has more acting TV projects in the works now (BLL, the two-season morning tv show series with Jennifer Aniston, Little Fires Everywhere with Kerry Washington) than film.

I was referring to the year that Gwyneth beat Cate for Oscar (in a very awkwardly worded way!). I think if Gwyneth really wanted challenging roles again, she'd find them, in indie films or TV or the stage. She just seems more driven these days to promote ridiculous health advice and a very indulgent lifestyle brand.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

Since she's with Brad Falchuck, maybe she'll show up in a season of Fued or American Crime Story. 

She's apparently got that show with Barbra Streisand and Ben Platt but I still don't know what it's supposed to be about. 

Honestly, Gwen got her Oscar and by the time her kids came around, she was pretty much checked out. I don't know if her career might have been different if she had taken longer but it is kind of a shame. She really can act and she definitely could've rocked Amazing Amy.

• Love 2

She's apparently got that show with Barbra Streisand and Ben Platt but I still don't know what it's supposed to be about.

Sounds like another musical... bless her heart, but I really wish Gwyneth would stop trying to make her music career happen.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Since she's with Brad Falchuck, maybe she'll show up in a season of Feud or American Crime Story. 

He also has a new show about the drag and ball culture in NY in the 80s. I can't imagine that she'll show up on that because that was a pretty Black and Latinx scene. 

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Honestly, Gwen got her Oscar and by the time her kids came around, she was pretty much checked out. I don't know if her career might have been different if she had taken longer but it is kind of a shame. She really can act and she definitely could've rocked Amazing Amy.

I think you underestimate how much of an impact being in the Iron Man movies and part of the MCU had for her. People who would normally hate Gwyneth love Pepper Potts. Some might say she's "slumming" but she's genuinely charming in them, especially in the first IM movie. She and Robert Downey Jr. have great chemistry and Pepper's a character a lot of people like and root for, as opposed to Paltrow IRL.

• Love 2

RDJ sold the Iron Man movie to Paltrow by saying, "Come on, it'll be fun! Don't you want to be in movies that people actually watch?" During the period post-Oscar, she took a hiatus for her kids but she also had problems finding roles. She would opt for indies, but they weren't as well received critically or in the box office. The IM movies have helped her image and the pay cheques and schedule have probably allowed her to focus/reinvest on her business. She seems much more into the business/lifestyle thing than acting. I don't think she dislikes acting, but she seems much more passionate and driven to make her lifestyle stuff work. As someone else noted, she tends to love music and singing roles except she can't sing. 

Generally, I am not a fan of her IRL personality. I can take or leave her acting. I don't think she deserved that Oscar and definitely not over Blanchett. I will say that I loved Sliding Doors and it's my favourite of her roles. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Athena said:

She seems much more into the business/lifestyle thing than acting. I don't think she dislikes acting, but she seems much more passionate and driven to make her lifestyle stuff work.

Which is weird because she's mostly known for Pepper Potts and how obnoxious her brand is. But she keeps chugging along. Good for her I guess?

22 minutes ago, Athena said:

Generally, I am not a fan of her IRL personality. I can take or leave her acting. I don't think she deserved that Oscar and definitely not over Blanchett. I will say that I loved Sliding Doors and it's my favourite of her roles. 

This was the time where the big joke was people thought she was British because of all the roles she did with a British accent. It was even a joke when she hosted SNL in 1999. I think the reason she was more convincing as English as opposed to other American actors(say Anne Hathaway) was that Paltrow came off as having been raised in the British class system. Her whole demeanor was "posh". That aura also helped her in The Royal Tenenbaums. Lots of characters in Wes Anderson films speak with a flat, monotone delivery but she makes it seem more natural.

20 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Which is weird because she's mostly known for Pepper Potts and how obnoxious her brand is. But she keeps chugging along. Good for her I guess?

I think she genuinely believes she's helping people but there is a condescending tone to it all. "This worked for me and now it can work for you (peasants)!"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

This was the time where the big joke was people thought she was British because of all the roles she did with a British accent. It was even a joke when she hosted SNL in 1999. I think the reason she was more convincing as English as opposed to other American actors(say Anne Hathaway) was that Paltrow came off as having been raised in the British class system. Her whole demeanor was "posh". That aura also helped her in The Royal Tenenbaums. Lots of characters in Wes Anderson films speak with a flat, monotone delivery but she makes it seem more natural.

I think she did the British accent better than most American actors, but not out of this world. Another thing I liked about Sliding Doors is that the character was a lot less smug and entitled than her other ones (and consequently in real life personality).

Your Anne Hathaway example reminded me how horrible Hathaway was as a Brit in One Day. I liked the novel too but Hathaway was so miscast in that. 

Sounds like another musical... bless her heart, but I really wish Gwyneth would stop trying to make her music career happen.

I thought she was OK on Glee though her singing wasn't great. I watched "Country Strong" on a plane. It was... not good. I do like one song but it's a Garrett Hedlund/Leighton Meester duet. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I thought she was OK on Glee though her singing wasn't great. I watched "Country Strong" on a plane. It was... not good. I do like one song but it's a Garrett Hedlund/Leighton Meester duet. 

The chemistry between Hedlund and Meester is off the charts in that scene. Hedlund's career didn't recover after Tron Legacy flopped but he starred in the critically acclaimed Mudbound with Mary J. Blige last year. Leighton Meester hasn't had as much luck post Gossip Girl as Blake Lively. She was adorable in the episodes of last year's Making History I've seen, but it was cancelled after a couple of episodes.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Russell Crowe and Bruce Willis keep trying so why shouldn't she? BTW having seen videos of Willis perform recently, he ain't great, but he seems more fun and lively than he has been in movies in the past 20 years. People talk about Gwyneth doesn't seem to like acting, seeing trailers for the Death Wish remake out now, Willis looks like he absolutely hates it! Somebody needs to just let him sing and play harmonica in between takes filming his next movie to inject energy and life into his performance!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1