Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

Holy shit, there is a LOT of buzzing internet content around Noah Centineo right now thanks to his back-to-back Netflix teen romance movies. It'll be interesting to see if he can harness this into something.

It's kind of funny that Netflix is essentially re-creating the old studio system, at least in terms of continuing to use the same actors in various projects. He'll probably get a lot of Netflix work at the very least unless he implodes or something.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
On 29/08/2018 at 10:40 PM, memememe76 said:

With the success of Crazy Rich Asians, we can see a few of the actors really break out: Constance Wu, Henry Golding, Awkwafina, Gemma Chan. Gemma seems to be a shoo-in for whatever Bond film that will come out eventually. Henry could work in the Marvel universe. Constance has also shown a character actress side from her Fresh Off the Boat show, so she could lead a few more comedies. Either Constance or Awkwafina should be considered for hosts of the upcoming SNL season. 

Gemma Chan is great in Channel 4's Humans. Along with Emily Berrington, she's been the breakout star of that show. I expect bigger things for both of them, though it seems like Chan is launching faster.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, absnow54 said:

The Fosters spinoff was lucky to sign him before he blew up. He's definitely having a great summer, and I think he's got the charisma to stick around for a while. 

That makes me think about Michael Schoeffling, the actual Jake Ryan. (To All The Boys I Loved Before directly references Jake Ryan.) I feel like the thing with Michael is that while being incredibly good-looking, I don't think he actually had the charisma to go with those looks, and he always seemed kind of uncomfortable in front of the camera. It's not really surprising that his career only spanned about 7 years. It worked to have him stand there and look cute (especially if you had him playing a stoic ranch hand or something) but once you hit your 30's you've gotta have something else going or it's just not going to work.

A guy who I think SHOULD have gone past the cute young hunk stage is Matthew Keeslar, who I absolutely loved in The Last Days of Disco. I just don't think he had enough luck to sustain a career. By the time he gave up to find another career, he was about to hit 40. In his case though, his acting career did span 16 years. Not bad, dude. Not bad.

• Love 3
On 9/12/2018 at 3:44 AM, methodwriter85 said:

That makes me think about Michael Schoeffling, the actual Jake Ryan. (To All The Boys I Loved Before directly references Jake Ryan.) I feel like the thing with Michael is that while being incredibly good-looking, I don't think he actually had the charisma to go with those looks, and he always seemed kind of uncomfortable in front of the camera. It's not really surprising that his career only spanned about 7 years. It worked to have him stand there and look cute (especially if you had him playing a stoic ranch hand or something) but once you hit your 30's you've gotta have something else going or it's just not going to work.

He eventually became a carpenter in his home state of Pennsylvania, and I think he made the decision to leave Hollywood on his own. I hope he's happy.

His character in Mermaids, Joe Peretti, is basically an older Jake Ryan (except that Winona Ryder's character is a year younger than Molly Ringwald's, which makes things a bit more awkward). 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, UYI said:

He eventually became a carpenter in his home state of Pennsylvania, and I think he made the decision to leave Hollywood on his own. I hope he's happy.

His character in Mermaids, Joe Peretti, is basically an older Jake Ryan (except that Winona Ryder's character is a year younger than Molly Ringwald's, which makes things a bit more awkward). 

I mean, exactly. He aged out of his typecast, and he didn't have the will/drive/desire/ability to move out of it. Michael wasn't really being given anything other than teen dreamboat (his bit in Long Time Companion as a rare exception to that) and I can't blame him for not wanting to hold on to his 15 minutes of fame. And he really did look pretty stiff on-screen at times. (He did improve by the time of Mermaids, but I'm not surprised he gave up pretty soon after that.)

It'll be interesting to see what Noah Centineo will do, now that he's the teen dream crush of the moment. It's always kind of exciting to see someone breaking out, especially if they're breaking out in a genre that's considered to be fading. (The teen romantic comedy.) I do think that unlike Michael Schoeffling, the kid has a shit ton of charisma and seems totally at ease in front of the camera. That's a good portend for sustaining a long career.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

A guy who I think SHOULD have gone past the cute young hunk stage is Matthew Keeslar, who I absolutely loved in The Last Days of Disco. I just don't think he had enough luck to sustain a career. By the time he gave up to find another career, he was about to hit 40. In his case though, his acting career did span 16 years. Not bad, dude. Not bad.

I thought... who? And then I googled him and realized I kind of recognize him. He had a nice body but I'm not sure if I'd call him a "cute young hunk." He seems more like the kind of guy who needed a specific project to build a fanbase (probably something sci-fi or niche) but his looks might have appealed to this generation. What with the Benedict Cumberbatches and Tom Hiddlestons and Matt Smiths. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I thought... who? And then I googled him and realized I kind of recognize him. He had a nice body but I'm not sure if I'd call him a "cute young hunk." He seems more like the kind of guy who needed a specific project to build a fanbase (probably something sci-fi or niche) but his looks might have appealed to this generation. What with the Benedict Cumberbatches and Tom Hiddlestons and Matt Smiths. 

He had a pretty niche fanbase, namely from gay men who liked watching indie movies back in theY2K era. He had 3 gay roles in 1999-2000. You'd be surprised at how well being tall, blond, and blue-eyed would go over with the Abercrombie and Fitch obsessed gay guys of 1999. He tried going the cult t.v. show route in the 2000's but it never quite worked out. I really loved him for his work in The Last Days of Disco. (He's straight in that, though.)

5 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

It probably also helped Noah Centineo that his only heartthrob "competition" in To All the Boys, Israel Broussard, had his old offensive tweets resurface pretty much right after the film came out. 

It's funny, because I really liked IB after his part as Josh in Happy Death Day, but none of that resurfaced. I guess because Happy Death Day wasn't really aimed squarely at the teen girl demographic like To All the Boys, and the latter took off on social media in an unprecedented way?

Someone upthread said that people become stars when there's a vacuum to fill. Noah Centineo definitely is filling that void. Teen dreamboats right now are mainly either in music (Shawn Mendes) or they're in a teen show. (KJ Apa/Cole Sprouse on Riverdale, etc etc.) The last teen romantic comedy to get any real notice was the Duff, and let's be honest- as beautiful as Robbie Amell is, he looked way too old to be put on the cover of Teen Vogue or whatever. Nick Jonas has moved into playing adults, and Zac Efron/RPatz's days as the teen dreamboats are long behind them. And let's not forget that for the last decade, most teen movies were either about sparkly vampires or trying to survive as the chosen one in a dystopian society that wants to kill you. The girl who wrote The Kissing Booth actually said somewhere that she wrote that because most of what was getting out was either a Twilight kind of a thing, or a Hunger Games kind of thing. There wasn't much in terms of fun romance. (How "fun" the Kissing Booth ultimately ended up as in both book from and movie form is up to you.)

It makes perfect sense why Noah's taking off like this. He has the right look, the right persona, the right age, the right vehicle, and exactly the right timing.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

And let's not forget that for the last decade, most teen movies were either about sparkly vampires or trying to survive as the chosen one in a dystopian society that wants to kill you. The girl who wrote The Kissing Booth actually said somewhere that she wrote that because most of what was getting out was either a Twilight kind of a thing, or a Hunger Games kind of thing. There wasn't much in terms of fun romance. (How "fun" the Kissing Booth ultimately ended up as in both book from and movie form is up to you.)

It makes perfect sense why Noah's taking off like this. He has the right look, the right persona, the right age, the right vehicle, and exactly the right timing.

Good point. Breaking out as a performer has so much to do with what’s “hot” right when you are there, willing and waiting. 

Not exactly related to movies but if I recall Channing Tatum was a ballet dancer as a child, but grew too tall post puberty to pursue ballet professionally (I think they want men to be under 6ft); he started getting into modern/hip hop, and bulked up to fit that aesthic. His agent saw his “look” and said “get a tan, shave your head to look ethnically amibigous, I’m going to try and get you some modeling jobs” - in a time where urban street wear was all the rage. Of course it didn’t hurt that the man can actually dance, but that’s what allowed him to get his foot in the door. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2
On 9/12/2018 at 2:44 AM, methodwriter85 said:

A guy who I think SHOULD have gone past the cute young hunk stage is Matthew Keeslar, who I absolutely loved in The Last Days of Disco. I just don't think he had enough luck to sustain a career.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:06 AM, aradia22 said:

I thought... who? And then I googled him and realized I kind of recognize him. He had a nice body but I'm not sure if I'd call him a "cute young hunk." He seems more like the kind of guy who needed a specific project to build a fanbase (probably something sci-fi or niche)

10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

He had a pretty niche fanbase, namely from gay men who liked watching indie movies back in theY2K era. He had 3 gay roles in 1999-2000. You'd be surprised at how well being tall, blond, and blue-eyed would go over with the Abercrombie and Fitch obsessed gay guys of 1999. He tried going the cult t.v. show route in the 2000's but it never quite worked out.

The Middleman!!!!! It is and will probably always be one of the great cult tv shows and in the firmament of the Brilliant but Cancelled heavens. Unfortunately, it came out at the wrong time. More and more networks were doing original programming, but no one quite understood that audiences were going to be a lot smaller and niche in the future. So everyone expected much bigger ratings when the new normal would indicate that would not be the status quo. Additionally, it came out before Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu had gotten into the business of original programming and certainly before any of those platforms became Captain Save-A-Show to cancelled tv shows.

I watch Lucifer, I like the show, and I like the actors, but its 3rd season was abysmal. It fully deserved its cancellation. Netflix picked it up. However, I would actually enter into a devil's bargain to get the Middleman back. It is that weird and that good. I also love that Javier Grillo-Marxuach conceived on the Middleman while working on the hellscape that was Charmed.

• Love 4

I watched the pilot of The Middleman. That's one of the things I remember him from. I didn't realize they made any more episodes of that show. 

Someone upthread said that people become stars when there's a vacuum to fill. Noah Centineo definitely is filling that void. Teen dreamboats right now are mainly either in music (Shawn Mendes) or they're in a teen show. (KJ Apa/Cole Sprouse on Riverdale, etc etc.) The last teen romantic comedy to get any real notice was the Duff, and let's be honest- as beautiful as Robbie Amell is, he looked way too old to be put on the cover of Teen Vogue or whatever. Nick Jonas has moved into playing adults, and Zac Efron/RPatz's days as the teen dreamboats are long behind them. 

Shawn Mendes makes me feel like a creeper. I like his songs (but not his latest album which is garbage and sounds too much like Timberlake/Robin Thicke) but I wish the content was not trying to be so sexy because it's a little uncomfortable. I imagine this is what guys who are not creepers think about Selena Gomez's Revival or anything Ariana Grande does. You look like a sexy baby. Stop it. Anyway, I can see him trying acting one day (no idea if he has any talent) but I think he's successful enough that he might age out of the demo before that happens. 

I was wondering when someone would bring up Robbie Amell in the Duff. But good point about him being a little too old, not that that's stopped teens from crushing before. I feel like teens are usually sold 20-30 somethings that give them a false expectations about their crushes having fully developed bodies and perfect skin. No wonder they become insecure. 

I'm with you on Efron having graduated and RPatz actively rejecting dreamboat status. But I think Nick Jonas is still in the mix. At least until he goes full Ashton Kutcher and seals the deal with Priyanka Chopra. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Not exactly related to movies but if I recall Channing Tatum was a ballet dancer as a child, but grew too tall post puberty to pursue ballet professionally (I think they want men to be under 6ft); he started getting into modern/hip hop, and bulked up to fit that aesthic. His agent saw his “look” and said “get a tan, shave your head to look ethnically amibigous, I’m going to try and get you some modeling jobs” - in a time where urban street wear was all the rage. Of course it didn’t hurt that the man can actually dance, but that’s what allowed him to get his foot in the door. 

Channing Tatum is a great example of a model who could have only broken out at the time they broke out at. He doesn't have classically handsome facial features, and his aesthetic was SO specific to that late 1990's/early 2000's urban wear look.

In terms of his acting career, he did get his early work based on that urban look, and then later it kind of became a "soldier look." Now he seems to be doing more a generic All-American guy-next door look. He did detour into that good ol' Southern boy look for Logan Lucky, which was interesting because I completely forgot that he's got redneck roots because I'm so conditioned by his early urban look.

I'm with you on Efron having graduated and RPatz actively rejecting dreamboat status. But I think Nick Jonas is still in the mix. At least until he goes full Ashton Kutcher and seals the deal with Priyanka Chopra. 

I would probably add Ansel Elgort to that. He's still young enough to play high school/college although I don't think he's going to do anything like The Fault in Our Stars again, especially since the John Green movie universe failed to take flight. He does have a pretty young face, though.

There's also Nick Robinson and Tyler Sheridan, although I don't think either of their big respective projects this year took off like they hoped.  I mean, Love Simon did pretty well and Ready Player One did well especially factoring in overseas box office, but I wouldn't say it turned them into household names.

Oh, and of course there's Ross Lynch, although he seems to be more in the t.v. realm.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:
On 2018/9/15 at 5:23 PM, JustaPerson said:

It probably also helped Noah Centineo that his only heartthrob "competition" in To All the Boys, Israel Broussard, had his old offensive tweets resurface pretty much right after the film came out. 

It's funny, because I really liked IB after his part as Josh in Happy Death Day, but none of that resurfaced. I guess because Happy Death Day wasn't really aimed squarely at the teen girl demographic like To All the Boys, and the latter took off on social media in an unprecedented way?

tbh I found Israel Broussard more conventionally attractive than NC, if in need of concealer under his eyes (so does Charlie Heaton in Stranger Things) and thought he did a good job in To All the Boys. But with "canceled" culture, those tweets are going to be monkey on his back career wise. 

I decided to finally look up this Israel Broussard person who I've never heard about aside from this thread. He's got a real familiar face. I see a little Jeremy/Jason London but the real answer will probably come to me a month from now.

21 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

tbh I found Israel Broussard more conventionally attractive than NC, if in need of concealer under his eyes (so does Charlie Heaton in Stranger Things) and thought he did a good job in To All the Boys. But with "canceled" culture, those tweets are going to be monkey on his back career wise. 

I think he'll be okay in the end if he's actually smart and doesn't screw things up. He might wanna lay low for awhile. I hope he hired a good p.r. firm because he's in a period right now where he could either salvage his career, or end it for good if he manages to piss people off again.

IB came to my attention in The Bling Ring, where he played a teen who robs rich people houses in a real-life story from late 2000's Hollywood. This scene was pretty hilarious, honestly. And he has gotten more physically attractive since he did that part.

13 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I decided to finally look up this Israel Broussard person who I've never heard about aside from this thread. He's got a real familiar face. I see a little Jeremy/Jason London but the real answer will probably come to me a month from now.

Someone in a video recap of Happy Death Day called Israel Eric Foreman, but I don't see that at all.

And man. The London twins. Shame Jeremy's kind of a trainwreck. Jason seems more or less stable. He's got the Hallmark thing going for him, apparently.

I recently saw Smokey and the Bandit at an AMC for the first time since I was in middle school. I know that Burt Reynolds made mistakes that killed his career. But there were moments in the movie made you realize why he was a movie star. Case in point at 2:23 in the following clip.

Someone in a video recap of Happy Death Day called Israel Eric Foreman, but I don't see that at all.

Maybe that's it. Or a mashup. I definitely see it from certain angles, less so now that Topher is older and his features are a little different.

55 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think [Israel Broussard will] be okay in the end if he's actually smart and doesn't screw things up. He might wanna lay low for awhile. I hope he hired a good p.r. firm because he's in a period right now where he could either salvage his career, or end it for good if he manages to piss people off again.

I dunno, I read some of the comments from Facebook about the tweets, and pretty much any defense anyone offered was shot down with "Well, of course, because he's white and male and who cares if he was only eighteen and he didn't really mean that apology and where did I leave that pitchfork?" After the James Gunn fiasco at Disney, I'm wondering who Broussard pissed off that they went picking through his Twitter account, because some of the stuff he posted wasn't actually that offensive, unless you consider guilt by association a mortal sin.

Richard Madden's audition to be the next James Bond is going quite well. His show, Bodyguard, has been a hit in the UK, and the hype around it has had Netflix pick it up to stream internationally.

He does a really good job, showing a bit of charm, along with some steely coldness, which I think any good James Bond should have. Of course, I'd also have Jed Mercurio, who created Bodyguard (and Line of Duty) write any new Bond movie, as a far more lo-fi, tension-driven story.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Richard Madden's audition to be the next James Bond is going quite well. His show, Bodyguard, has been a hit in the UK, and the hype around it has had Netflix pick it up to stream internationally.

Yes! I’ve been dying to see this show and had no way to watch. And if I can’t have Idris play Bond then Madden would make a good alternative so I hope they call him. 

• Love 1

Well, Daniel Craig did open up the doors for a shorter James Bond, so Richard definitely has a chance.

As one of the 12 people who hasn't watched Game of Thrones, I know him from Worried About the Boy, a t.v. biopic about Boy George starring Douglass. He was pretty good in his bit part as Kirk, a rocker who is straight but gets converted for a bit of time by George. Pretty good-looking guy.

8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

He does a really good job, showing a bit of charm, along with some steely coldness, which I think any good James Bond should have. Of course, I'd also have Jed Mercurio, who created Bodyguard (and Line of Duty) write any new Bond movie, as a far more lo-fi, tension-driven story.

I've been loving Madden in Bodyguard as well and thought right away that this was his "Bond audition role". He's got a ton of charisma as evidenced by Cinderella and Game of Thrones. He actually has to keep his natural charm check in Bodyguard. The character is volatile and Madden disappears in the role. I agree that Mercurio would write a good Bond film.

4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Yes! I’ve been dying to see this show and had no way to watch. And if I can’t have Idris play Bond then Madden would make a good alternative so I hope they call him. 

Netflix owns the international distribution so it should be coming soon to Netflix USA. Series 2 has not been announced but it's almost a foregone conclusion given the ratings.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2018 at 8:06 AM, aradia22 said:

He looked sooooo much to me like Mr. Robot's Rami Malek in that movie!  

Or, maybe you saw Israel when he was a lot chubbier in "The Bling Ring"?

On 9/17/2018 at 9:19 PM, methodwriter85 said:

And man. The London twins. Shame Jeremy's kind of a trainwreck. Jason seems more or less stable. He's got the Hallmark thing going for him, apparently.

Just rewatched Mallrats.  I didn't even REMEMBER that Jeremy London was in it.  When I rewatched it I understood why - Jason Lee is soooooo charismatic and Jeremy just seems kind of invisible : (  I feel bad for those dudes.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Just rewatched Mallrats.  I didn't even REMEMBER that Jeremy London was in it.  When I rewatched it I understood why - Jason Lee is soooooo charismatic and Jeremy just seems kind of invisible : (  I feel bad for those dudes.

Jason London seemed like the better actor of the two, which is why he had a better career at some point, although even he really couldn't transition out of the leading young man roles. It's so unfortunate though to see what happens to cute young actors when they're no longer so cute and young and their demons start to surface.

• Love 2

This video analyzes 1970's Jane Fonda, who notched an Oscar in 1972 for Klute but then ran into serious controversy after "Hanoi Jane", and then slowly and methodically rebuilt her career as the zeitgeist swung in her favor, capping off her comeback with her win for 1978's Coming Home.

I don't think Book Club was a "great film" by any stretch, but it's kind of incredible that Jane Fonda got to have a lead role in a hit movie in 2018 at 79/80 years old and she DOESN'T have to play a sad old woman learning to accept her nearing death.

She seems pretty good at knowing when to go away and when to come back. Even though she's older than a Boomer, she's definitely been able to catch a ride on the nostalgia chain for them.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7

Another Noah Centineo interview, this time on Jimmy Kimmel.

He seems so upbeat and positive that I'm lowkey cringing at the thought of what happens if/when the negative side of overnight fame starts to hit him. Although he's been a working actor since childhood, so it's not like he's some newbie out of nowhere.

What does it say about Hollywood and celebrity that in the back of my mind, as much as I feel happy for the dude that he's getting to blow up like this, I also cringe and hope he doesn't wind up some cautionary tale? I feel myself wanting to brace myself. LOL.

I feel much more comfortable when actors have slow but steady fame increases, like Ryan Reynold's career when it reached his first peak at the Proposal, or currently James McAvoy, who's playing the long game and it looks like it's going to pay off in 2019/2020.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On 9/24/2018 at 9:06 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I feel much more comfortable when actors have slow but steady fame increases, like Ryan Reynold's career when it reached his first peak at the Proposal, or currently James McAvoy, who's playing the long game and it looks like it's going to pay off in 2019/2020.

His game is indeed strong:

• Love 3
On 9/27/2018 at 11:35 PM, memememe76 said:

I loved Matt Keesler too. I had such a crush on him in The Last Days of Disco. 

He really was so crushable in that. I like to think that his character and Chloe Sevigny's character had a wonderful life together. (Well, have. They'd be about in their mid-60's by now, I believe.)

Oscar Issac announced he's taking a break after he wraps on Star Wars, which is kind of upsetting because I adore his work.

Anyway, even with the critical bashing Venom took, it's good to be Tom Hardy right now. Dropping out of Suicide Squad really did work out for him- he got his Oscar nomination for Revenant and he's still getting his comic book franchise, albeit one that doesn't have the critics on its side. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out for him.

Edited by methodwriter85
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Anyway, even with the critical bashing Venom took, it's good to be Tom Hardy right now. Dropping out of Suicide Squad really did work out for him- he got his Oscar nomination for Revenant and he's still getting his comic book franchise, albeit one that doesn't have the critics on its side. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out for him.

To be fair, Suicide Squad didn’t have the critics on its side either... it did win that Oscar though.   

• Love 2

Where do people see Lady Gaga as a viable actor? The success of A Star Is Born really gives legitimacy over her entire career. I can see her having a career like Cher. TBH, I am not sure why Cher seemingly gave up on her movie career. As well, I think it legitimizes Bradley Cooper's stature in the industry, even if he didn't really need it. 

The success of Venom really elevates Tom Hardy's status as a leading man. Will it do anything for Michelle Williams? 

According to her biography, Cher contracted Eppstein-Barr syndrome in the early 90's which left her unable to sustain a heavy workload. She decided to do her informercials instead, which wrecked her career. To quote Cher, "I mean, I should have just put a gun to my mouth and blown my brains out. It would have been a lot faster."

SNL did a wonderful skit about them:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/focus-on-beauty-ii/n10438

I also think that at some point, her work just got too heavy for her to be cast as regular people in movies. The woman her age that still get lead roles tend to have faces that still somewhat resemble reality.

Anyway, back to that skit...Christina Applegate should've had a better career. It's a shame. She just doesn't seem to have a lot of luck, although I loved her turns as the bitchy mom in Bad Moms.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

According to her biography, Cher contracted Eppstein-Barr syndrome in the early 90's which left her unable to sustain a heavy workload. She decided to do her informercials instead, which wrecked her career. To quote Cher, "I mean, I should have just put a gun to my mouth and blown my brains out. It would have been a lot faster."

SNL did a wonderful skit about them:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/focus-on-beauty-ii/n10438

I also think that at some point, her work just got too heavy for her to be cast as regular people in movies. The woman her age that still get lead roles tend to have faces that still somewhat resemble reality.

Anyway, back to that skit...Christina Applegate should've had a better career. It's a shame. She just doesn't seem to have a lot of luck, although I loved her turns as the bitchy mom in Bad Moms.

I agree. I loved a lot of Christina Applegate's movies. And I loved her short lived TV sitcom Samantha Who, it was a really funny show! Perfect cast Jean Smart, Kevin Dunn (who was awesome as Samantha's Dad), Tim Russ, Jennifer Esposito, Barry Watson and Melissa McCarthy and Samantha trying to be better after being in a coma for eight days and having amnesia.  I even loved her other short lived TV show Jesse.

• Love 9

Lucas Hedges is so hot right now.

Lucas Hedges Can't Stop Stressing Out, but It's Fueling His Work

I did smile a little bit at the part where he admits that Timothee Chalamet is having his own moment at the same time. They're different enough that I don't think they're competing for the same spot, but yeah.

It's funny that they've both got drug addict roles coming up in the same awards season, though.

I do think Timmy C has the goods over Lucas, but I also think that Lucas might have an easier time in ten years when they're both too old to play the roles they got known for. He has an "every man" quality to him that Timothee doesn't have. I can see Lucas doing alright on procedural t.v. shows if/when his career downturns. I can see the transition for Timmy C being brutal, although he could luck out and have a Leo kind of a career. Leo had a few slow years post-Titanic and then he hit a great post-teen idol wave starting with Catch Me If You Can and then the Departed.

I do wonder if a career trajectory like Leo's is even really possible now, because mid-budget movies aren't being made anymore and that's what guys like him cut their teeth on. Now it seems to be more about getting into acclaimed indies or t.v. shows and then balancing that out with a role in some big franchise with the hope of eventually getting that Oscar caliber role, which is essentially what Eddie Redmayne and Andrew Garfield did/are doing. In Garfield's case, his failure with the Spiderman franchise seems to have made him go back to indies, although he did get his Oscar-nominated turn in Hacksaw Ridge

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Where do people see Lady Gaga as a viable actor? The success of A Star Is Born really gives legitimacy over her entire career. I can see her having a career like Cher. TBH, I am not sure why Cher seemingly gave up on her movie career. As well, I think it legitimizes Bradley Cooper's stature in the industry, even if he didn't really need it. 

Not that I am the arbiter of these things but I think it'll depend on what I think when I see A Star is Born. That is, if she can really act, then she's got a career. If she's just got some hype on this and American Horror Story despite just being a mediocre or fine actress then I think maybe we're seeing a Madonna redux. And truly Gaga has been patterning some of her career movies after Madonna from the beginning. I think it also depends on whether she wants to fully transition from music to acting (very few modern singer/actors... not counting Broadway have successfully maintained both) and what kinds of parts she'll be offered/want to accept. Serious dramas? Period pieces? Rom-coms? Where could she fit? Again, it depends on her actual acting ability/versatility.

I can see the transition for Timmy C being brutal, although he could luck out and have a Leo kind of a career. 

I think it largely depends on how his face (and to a lesser extent body given all the personal trainers, etc. body) ages. I'm guessing something like David Tennant but it's difficult to predict. Speaking of John Hughes movies, who could have seen how Anthony Michael Hall would age? 

On 19/09/2018 at 8:21 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Speaking of Jason Lee I always wished he had a bigger career. I mean he was the funniest thing in a lot of Kevin Smith movies, especially Mallrats and especially Chasing Amy. His supporting role in Almost Famous was small but helped move the plot forward. Syndrome was of course awesome.

And My Name is Earl was an awesome show that deserved to be considered a classic. But I get the sense it was overshadowed by the fact that every other Thursday NBC show at the time (The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Scrubs, Community) were also really great to legendary. So it was easily forgotten.  I guess Alvin and the Chipmunks probably pays pretty well but other than that what happened? I remember there was talk at one point of him starring in a Fletch remake. It was also mention in I think the Chasing Amy comentary that after Jerry Bruckheimer saw that movie he cast Affleck in Armageddon, Lee in Enemy of the State and gave Smith a job doing script doctor work. Now I don't expect Lee to be movie star leading man, but continuing as a tv leading man or just a really good hey it's that guy supporting career would be nice.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Rami Malek going from Mr. Robot to Bohemian Rhapsody?  Holy mother!  He was incredible.  Incredible.  He killed it!  He and Bradley Cooper and Chadwick Boseman gave my favourite performances this year......  

Big fan of Rocket Racoon?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Big fan of Rocket Racoon?

21 hours ago, shantown said:

I'm hoping this is </sarcasm> !

It's probably mostly sarcasm, but many of the reviews of Guardians 1 mention that it's one of Bradley Cooper's best performance in years.

Cooper and Diesel, who nearly walk off with the movie as a couple of fractious yet inseparable platonic soulmates firmly in the R2D2/C3PO mold. (It helps that their computer-animated avatars are both marvelously detailed and seamlessly integrated into the live-action scenes.) Cooper is so good at finding the pathos in his existentially conflicted critter that you half expect the little guy to plead “I am not an animal!” Except, of course, he is.

https://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-guardians-of-the-galaxy-1201267373/

stuffed with live-action stars, yet Cooper still manages to stand out with his wise-cracking vocal performance as the genetically engineered, raccoon-like bounty hunter Rocket. Gunn copied some facial expressions and movements from Cooper for the character.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/bradley-coopers-10-best-performances-critics-picks-1149774/item/critics-picks-10-best-bradley-cooper-performances-a-team-1149777

I hope Bradley Cooper won’t take it amiss when I say that he gives one of his best performances to date as the voice of a trash-talking space raccoon. Rocket—who’s adorably rendered in a style that suggests, but isn’t, stop-motion animation—at first struck me as overly cute, one of those cloying smartass animals inserted to pander to young children in the audience. But I’ll be damned if Cooper didn’t give this ring-tailed creature some layers. Rocket’s raw grief when he sits down and weeps over a personal loss late in the movie—well, that was one of the two times I almost cried. 

https://slate.com/culture/2014/07/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-reviewed.html

• Love 2

As much as I adore Rocket Raccoon I would say Bradley Cooper's most outstanding performance, possibly ever, was in A Star Is Born. I haven't seen it myself but everyone I know who has has said he was outstanding, like mind blowingly good. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

As much as I adore Rocket Raccoon I would say Bradley Cooper's most outstanding performance, possibly ever, was in A Star Is Born. I haven't seen it myself but everyone I know who has has said he was outstanding, like mind blowingly good. 

The reviews for his revival of The Elephant Man on Broadway were pretty darn terrific too. He was nominated for a Tony. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/08/theater/bradley-cooper-in-the-elephant-man-on-broadway.html

24 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

The reviews for his revival of The Elephant Man on Broadway were pretty darn terrific too. He was nominated for a Tony. 

I did not know he did that. Cool. He is really improving with age. I remember him from Alias. He was cute and all but I didn't watch it and think "yeah, that guy is really going to explode in his 40s. But man is he just blowing it up. Good for him. 

• Love 2
On 11/4/2018 at 1:20 AM, aradia22 said:

I think it largely depends on how his face (and to a lesser extent body given all the personal trainers, etc. body) ages. I'm guessing something like David Tennant but it's difficult to predict. Speaking of John Hughes movies, who could have seen how Anthony Michael Hall would age? 

No, I don't mean in terms of looks. I mean the fact that his entire acting style just feels like youth personified, which is a great thing for young adult parts but it doesn't work as well when you age but the acting hasn't evolved as much. Winona Ryder had a big problem with this. I remember the old Fametracker discussions about her and how it wasn't really her shoplifting scandal that destroyed her career, but the fact that she had such adolescent mannerisms/acting style despite hitting her 30's. She couldn't convincingly portray adults despite actually being one, but she was also too old to keep playing adolescents. It took until her late 30's when she appeared in Star Trek and Black Swan that she could do it. I mean, it's a hard thing to tell, but I can see Timothee having this same problem.

I always think that if James Dean hadn't died, his career would have naturally petered out by the 60's because of both the fact that he just did adolescent too well and probably because his drug/alcohol problems would have caught up to him no matter what.

Of course that all depends on if you could evolve or not, which brings us to Bradley Cooper. He was always a serviceable actor with charisma but really showed off his chops starting with Silver Linings Playbook in his late 30's.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1