Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

God, I LOVE that dress. Love it. 

Keira always looked older than her age, which is why it's hard to believe she was so young when she first got famous. It's crazy to think she was only 17 in the first Pirates movie!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ruby24 said:

God, I LOVE that dress. Love it. 

Keira always looked older than her age, which is why it's hard to believe she was so young when she first got famous. It's crazy to think she was only 17 in the first Pirates movie!

Also in Love Actually later that year where she was marrying 26 year old Chiwetel Ejiofor and being pined after by 30 year old Andrew Lincoln!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Also in Love Actually later that year where she was marrying 26 year old Chiwetel Ejiofor and being pined after by 30 year old Andrew Lincoln!

That entire plot was so creepy because she looked far too young to be with either dude.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

That entire plot was so creepy because she looked far too young to be with either dude.

There's always going to be an teen ingenue (or someone still young enough to play teens) who's paired up with guys who seem way too old for her. For a couple of years, that was Keira. Then it was Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence. (Although Emma has had a better track record with age appropriate love interests than Lawrence.) I'm sure we'll see Hailee Steinfield making out with a 40-year old dude onscreen in the not-too-distant future.

I do think Keira's best bet is doing something along the lines of Downton Abbey when she's further into her 30's/hitting her 40's.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I think I didn't notice at the time because they were all relative newcomers to me. Especially Andrew Lincoln who looks like a babyfaced kid there compared to him as Rick Grimes on The Walking Dead now!

36 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

There's always going to be an teen ingenue (or someone still young enough to play teens) who's paired up with guys who seem way too old for her. For a couple of years, that was Keira. Then it was Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence. (Although Emma has had a better track record with age appropriate love interests than Lawrence.) I'm sure we'll see Hailee Steinfield making out with a 40-year old dude onscreen in the not-too-distant future.

Out of all those movies Silver Linings Playbook(which probably was overpraised at the time) is the one still works for me despite the age gap between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. His character was so emotionally immature it makes him and Lawrence equals and it's not that gross "father figure" type of thing. I also think being through so much at such a young age makes her more messed and too disturbing to be the protagonist. She had to be seen from Cooper's POV who was relatively saner. I really believe if she was played by someone age appropriate like Angelina Jolie or even someone younger like Anne Hathaway who was originally cast against relatively new leading man Cooper it would have unbalanced the movie. Scratch that, it would have shifted it. You would want the story to be about her struggle with mental illness not his. With them or Charlize Theron or Amy Adams in the role I'd want to see the story of a woman dealing with her husband's death by being a slut. I'd want that movie more than one about the problems of some cuckold!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I have a weird sense of Keira Knightley movies. I watched Bend It Like Beckham and Pirates 1 when they first came out and then I think I skipped a bunch of her movies until Atonement so now regardless of when they came out, I mostly assume she's at least 30 in them. She does have one of those faces that seems be older or younger depending on what the role calls for. Again, I basically just assume she's in her early 30's in everything. I think of Julia Stiles as also being a teenager and then suddenly in her 30's. They also have a more mature, dignified vibe in their onscreen presence.

I was 100% not going to watch Aloha or Magic in the Moonlight and I don't remember other Emma Stone big age difference roles. Is she a lot younger than Gosling? Sometimes it's hard to pin down someone's age too if you're thinking about their career and not just their appearance. 

Jennifer Lawrence just needs to stop. I don't care who she dates in her personal life but it's creepy on screen and to me, it never looks right. Maybe it's because she has soft features but she looks way younger than the characters she is supposed to be playing. 

Also, I'm not sure if she wants to act but Selena Gomez can keep playing a teenager/20-something for years. Of course, she and Ariana Grande like to milk that sexy baby thing. Ugh... *shudders*

I think Keira's face and bone structure is such that it held her in one ageless look for a long time. She never had a baby fat look. Actually, she's only 32 now and when I was watching her interviews and photo shoots at Sundance it was amazing how the same she looks. Maybe in her forties is when she'll start to look different.

Maybe in her forties is when she'll start to look different.

Maybe. Like Winona Ryder. Or maybe she'll be magic like Jennifer Connelly. I do think how much you're in the public eye and how steadily you work makes a difference. Obviously, some people like Demi Moore and Renee Zellwegger get plastic surgery. But if you're just always in the public eye and/or working then even if there are small changes to your face over the years, people don't really notice because it's happening gradually, like Charlize Theron. Like Leonardo DiCaprio pretty much looks the same as he did when he was younger though there are little signs of aging, but they don't really register because he's been working steadily so when you think about him you don't jump back to Titanic for instance. 

It's a confusing question right now because I think through genetics and various shenanigans I'm not fully aware of that may involve anything from facials and cosmetics to that Isabella Rossellini potion in Death Becomes Her, celebrities are able to maintain their appearances. If they're not exactly youthful, they're free from a lot of the ravages of age. But I do think your relative exposure and the number of roles and the types of roles you play makes a difference as well. Also, having a lot of child stars with long careers and 30-year-olds playing teenagers has just confused the fuck out of my brain. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Maybe. Like Winona Ryder. Or maybe she'll be magic like Jennifer Connelly. I do think how much you're in the public eye and how steadily you work makes a difference. Obviously, some people like Demi Moore and Renee Zellwegger get plastic surgery. But if you're just always in the public eye and/or working then even if there are small changes to your face over the years, people don't really notice because it's happening gradually, like Charlize Theron. Like Leonardo DiCaprio pretty much looks the same as he did when he was younger though there are little signs of aging, but they don't really register because he's been working steadily so when you think about him you don't jump back to Titanic for instance. 

It's a confusing question right now because I think through genetics and various shenanigans I'm not fully aware of that may involve anything from facials and cosmetics to that Isabella Rossellini potion in Death Becomes Her, celebrities are able to maintain their appearances. If they're not exactly youthful, they're free from a lot of the ravages of age. But I do think your relative exposure and the number of roles and the types of roles you play makes a difference as well. Also, having a lot of child stars with long careers and 30-year-olds playing teenagers has just confused the fuck out of my brain. 

Kelly MacDonald and Famke Janssen have lucked into the genetics thing, I think. Trainspotting and The Faculty came out in 1996 and 1998 respectively, and both of them look pretty  much the same, just older.

• Love 2

Since we're in award season, I'll note that I think Timothee Chalamet and Daniel Kaluuya have really bright futures. CMBYN was the first thing I ever saw Timothee in, and I was just so blown away - it was a true breakthrough performance and my easily my favorite performance of the year. (I thought he was good in Ladybird too - not mindblowing, but the role didn't lend itself to that.) I honestly can't remember the last time I came across a young actor I was this excited about. And this was obviously a breakout year for Daniel as well, although I've been following his career for years - from Skins to Black Mirror to Sicario to Get Out. I love that he's getting so much recognition because I've always enjoyed him as an actor.  Aside from being great actors, Timothee and Daniel are so incredibly endearing, enthusiastic and thoughtful - I've officially become obsessed with them (both individually and as a duo) after watching this.

Also, I know he's had his ups and downs, but I'm really digging this phase of Colin Farrell's career (Lobster, Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Beguiled, etc.). I can see him having a long, successful career, in part because he's so versatile. While I appreciate that he's taken on quirkier, darker fare in recent years, I almost wish he'd do something with a bit more romance and sensuality because his reading of this Modern Love podcast completely seduced me.

For whatever reason, I've always really liked Keira Knightley. I thought she had charisma to spare in her breakout role in Bend it Like Beckham, and I've found her compelling in a wide range of roles, from strong-willed aristocrat (Atonement) to cold, manipulative antagonist (Never Let Me Go) to  slightly introverted indie artist (Begin Again). Despite her almost otherworldly beauty, there's something I find very down to earth about her. By contrast, I can't stand her doppelganger Natalie Portman, as either an actress or person.

• Love 7

I almost wish he'd do something with a bit more romance and sensuality because his reading of this Modern Love podcast completely seduced me.

I think he tries every so often. I haven't seen The Lobster yet but it's a romance, isn't it? And there was Miss Julie which isn't a traditional romance and has weird power dynamic stuff but is kind of in that place. And there was Winter's Tale which did very poorly considering it was based on a popular book and had some big-budget aspects which could have been his version of Titanic or Moulin Rouge. 

I've come around on Keira Knightley. I think I just need to see her in the right projects. She does a lot of book adaptations and so my problem with her for a while is that she was always Keira Knightley and not very similar to the characters she was supposed to be playing. Never Let Me Go and Pride and Prejudice really bugged me. I didn't read Atonement so I didn't mind that one. But I saw her in a play and I think she works better when she can fully embrace being weird and not have to focus so much on being pretty. I mean, sure, let her make money with those makeup endorsement deals but in movies I feel like she's better when the movie isn't so focused on selling an aesthetic and she can relax and play a character.

I saw Timothee Chalamet in a play that I really did not like fairly recently before CMBYN started getting press. Maybe a year or two. He was not great in it but it was also a bad play. 

She does a lot of book adaptations and so my problem with her for a while is that she was always Keira Knightley and not very similar to the characters she was supposed to be playing. Never Let Me Go and Pride and Prejudice really bugged me.I didn't read Atonement so I didn't mind that one.

I actually really liked Keira in Pride and Prejudice (and Atonment). She doesn't have a lot of range (at least not in the movies I've seen her in) but she can be quite good in the right part and does have screen presence.  

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I saw Timothee Chalamet in a play that I really did not like fairly recently before CMBYN started getting press. Maybe a year or two. He was not great in it but it was also a bad play. 

Was it Prodigal Son by John Patrick Shanley?  That'd be funny because even though the play wasn't loved, he actually won the Lucille Lortel award for Outstanding Lead Actor and was nominated for a Drama League award for that.

• Love 1

@Irlandesa Yeah, it was. One of these days I'm going to watch Moonstruck and/or Doubt to see what Shanley was like at his best. Because I also saw The Portuguese Kid from him recently and whew, he's lost his touch. TC did have charisma in the part and it does have some drama to it (though it's not very explicit... without spoiling the play an adult oversteps but it's more of an indication of interest than anything graphic happening and TC's character doesn't really have to reckon with any intense feelings after that). 

Out of curiosity, I took a look at the nominations in TC's category. I didn't see The Christians (though there are people who love the crap out of Hnath) but it was a bit of a shit year. Hard to complain about Shanley's play when the plays the actors were nominated in pretty much all celebrated white mediocrity. I do approve of most of the nominations and wins in other categories so maybe that was just a bad year for actors in plays. Based on the plays they nominated in other categories, I can't think of an actor they overlooked. I liked The Royale for what it was, but the acting wasn't particularly great beyond what was required by the material. Maybe someone from John or Marjorie Prime could have gotten in there but I skipped those plays so I don't know if they had notable lead male characters or would have fixed any diversity problems... but from what I know about those plays... probably not.

Edited by aradia22
On 2/6/2018 at 8:27 PM, sweetcookieface said:

For whatever reason, I've always really liked Keira Knightley. I thought she had charisma to spare in her breakout role in Bend it Like Beckham, and I've found her compelling in a wide range of roles, from strong-willed aristocrat (Atonement) to cold, manipulative antagonist (Never Let Me Go) to  slightly introverted indie artist (Begin Again). Despite her almost otherworldly beauty, there's something I find very down to earth about her. By contrast, I can't stand her doppelganger Natalie Portman, as either an actress or person.

Agree with all of this. I've always liked Keira. When I first saw her though I thought she looked just like Winona Ryder.

I haven't seen Call Me By Your Name or Get Out yet(on my to do list) but I remember Daniel Kaluuya in his Black Mirror episode and I thought he was very good.

I was not a big fan of Keira Knightley and I do not think she has a wide range; however, I've come around to her lately. She does have a certain amount of screen presence. I do not think she's vastly more talented now, but she has aged out as being an ingenue. She is not as over exposed as she use to be and will likely take more roles which may offer variety than what we've seen her. It also helps that from most accounts; she seems professional and a decent person. I did respect her for blasting against and sueing a tabloid when they said she had an Eating Disorder and she has always been very private about her personal life.  She also had a good interview with Variety  where they discussed the rise of better female roles, and her role choices:

With the rise of Netflix and Amazon we’re seeing some strong female characters and female stories on streaming services. I don’t know about films as much.I don’t really do films set in the modern day because the female characters nearly always get raped. I always find something distasteful in the way women are portrayed, whereas I’ve always found very inspiring characters offered to me in historical pieces. There’s been some improvement. I’m suddenly being sent scripts with present-day women who aren’t raped in the first five pages and aren’t simply there to be the loving girlfriend or wife.

• Love 5

I've always been a fan, but I think it was sort of incidental, because I was the kind of teenager who fell in love with those period pieces and a huge Austenite, so she happened to be a lot of movies that were exactly my cup of tea, lol. Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite movies of all time, I own it and must have watched it hundreds of times now. Love Atonement as well.

But I also really love Begin Again. I really do think she always had a lot more screen presence than other British actresses of recent years, like Felicity Jones or Emily Blunt or Rosamund Pike. 

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1

His comments about her were really weird, almost obsessive. I remember he kept bringing her up, even in interviews where he wasn't even asked about her. And some of the stuff he said was so weird- he would go on about how he should only work with real actors and not "models"- even though Keira's not a model. So clearly he said that because he was trying to be derogatory and obviously obsessed with and distracted by her looks.

He sounded to me like a guy who was starstruck and blaming her for his own creepy fixation, honestly.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 6

And some of the stuff he said was so weird- he would go on about how he should only work with real actors and not "models"- even though Keira's not a model.

She does model. I think it's mostly for Chanel but she might have some other brand endorsements. That's not a knock. Julianne Moore, Rachel Weisz, Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, Lupita Nyongo, Kate Winslet, Penelope Cruz, etc. also do some modeling/brand endorsements. It's a good way to supplement an acting career especially if you want to take on projects that aren't moneymakers. 

On 2/8/2018 at 4:54 PM, ruby24 said:

But I also really love Begin Again. I really do think she always had a lot more screen presence than other British actresses of recent years, like Felicity Jones or Emily Blunt or Rosamund Pike. 

I would probably have different feelings about Rosamund Pike if Gone Girl wasn't the first thing I saw her in. She's a good actress, but now I can never see her as anyone but Amy Dunne, no matter the genre.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2018 at 4:39 AM, aradia22 said:

She does model. I think it's mostly for Chanel but she might have some other brand endorsements. That's not a knock. Julianne Moore, Rachel Weisz, Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, Lupita Nyongo, Kate Winslet, Penelope Cruz, etc. also do some modeling/brand endorsements. It's a good way to supplement an acting career especially if you want to take on projects that aren't moneymakers. 

That seems to be what Kristen Stewart is doing with her Chanel ads. She definitely doesn't really seem all that interested in trying to be a box office star- other than Snow White, all of her post-Twilight work has basically been indie.

Anna Kendrick seems to be the only one from Twilight making an earnest attempt (and having at least some success) to become an A-list star. Robert Pattinson has been like KStew in keeping a low-profile indie career. Taylor Lautner tried to be an action star and flopped hard, but he did get himself into the Ryan Murphy universe so that could help him.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2018 at 10:57 PM, aradia22 said:

It's a confusing question right now because I think through genetics and various shenanigans I'm not fully aware of that may involve anything from facials and cosmetics to that Isabella Rossellini potion in Death Becomes Her,

Ha!

On 2/10/2018 at 4:44 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Taylor Lautner tried to be an action star and flopped hard, but he did get himself into the Ryan Murphy universe so that could help him.

So did Nene Leakes and it's not doing her much good right now either. I know Lautner was in some show in UK. Ryan Murphy seems to be much more enamored with Colton Haynes, Finn Wittrock, and Billy Eichner right now.

Lautner has some of the same career problems as Josh Hutcherson--a bit on the short side, good but not great looking, and famous for playing the other guy in a super successful teen series. Hutcherson's slightly better off because he's a better actor, Hutcherson's Peeta actually got the girl, Liam Hemsworth can't act, and Hutcherson is friends with the right people like Seth Rogen.

I do think succeeding after getting yourself into the Ryan Murphy universe is kind of up to you, though. Of course it matters WHICH show you get onto. Scream Queens wasn't really going to help anyone. But you have to make a splash with your acting. It's not like just being on a Ryan Murphy show elevates you. Being in someone's stable of actors or friends whether that's Ryan Murphy, Shonda Rhimes, Christopher Nolan, Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, etc. helps at the most basic level by providing you with work and getting you out there into the public consciousness. But people who breakout or, more rarely, actually ascend to stardom have to distinguish themselves in some way. It's the difference between all the people you still don't know on How To Get Away with Murder and Viola Davis (who, yes, was already critically lauded and somewhat known but who really took the opportunity and ran with it). I think one thing that makes getting into the Ryan Murphy universe different is he can really fixate on a person. I'm more familiar with Glee than anything else he's done but I do think he can let his fascination with an actor run away with a show and so he can really give an actor a chance to showcase his/her abilities.  

Good comparison between Lautner and Hutcherson though I think it's more down to Lautner being a bad actor (and some stuff behind the scenes with his dad) and Hutcherson being short. There's too much competition for you to have points against you, especially if you aren't otherwise very compelling in some way. Like Tom Cruise is relatively short, but he's also Tom Cruise. 

1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

Interview with Daniel Radcliffe. Nothing earthshattering. Just a reminder that he was a nice kid who despite being the lead of an phenomenally successful franchise, miraculously grew into a nice adult.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/02/22/and-now-an-intimate-conversation-with-daniel-radcliffe

I remember reading that the most important contribution Chris Columbus made to Harry Potter was casting the kids and insisting on getting to know their families to make sure they had a good support system.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I remember reading that the most important contribution Chris Columbus made to Harry Potter was casting the kids and insisting on getting to know their families to make sure they had a good support system.

Columbus may not be the most amazing technical or artistic director, but he's a great director with child and young actors. He understands how hard it can be for the kids and he doesn't want a controlling stage parent around based on his experience with Macaulay Culkin and his dad. 

• Love 11
10 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Interview with Daniel Radcliffe. Nothing earthshattering. Just a reminder that he was a nice kid who despite being the lead of an phenomenally successful franchise, miraculously grew into a nice adult.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/02/22/and-now-an-intimate-conversation-with-daniel-radcliffe

He went through a rough patch in his late teens -- I've heard rumours that he was drunk on set for parts of Half-Blood Prince -- but he's really come out the other side.  His appearances on Graham Norton are always a delight (although Graham can make almost anyone look good -- it take Wahlbergian levels of douchebaggery to look bad on that couch).

• Love 4

I'll echo the Daniel Radcliffe love. He just seems like such a grounded, sweet, funny guy. I also think he's a terrific actor. When HP ended, some questioned whether he'd be able to successfully transition into adult roles, especially since he doesn't have traditional leading man looks and wasn't considered the strongest actor of the HP kids. But I've found him really compelling in every role I've seen him, including as a romantic lead (e.g., in What If). I also think his knack for picking unusual projects (Horns, Young Doctor's Notebook, Swiss Army Man) will serve him well. I find his post-HP career far more interesting than Emma Watson's, even if she's had more mainstream success.

After binge-watching a number of movies this weekend, I have a few more actors to add to my list of up-and-comers:

Robert Pattinson isn't exactly an up-and-comer, but I think his role in Good Time really drove home just how talented he is. If he continues to choose challenging, transformative roles like that, I think he has a long career ahead of him.

Bel Powley was absolutely fantastic in Diary of a Teenage Girl. I haven't seen her in anything else, and she doesn't necessarily conform to your typical Hollywood starlet look, but I can see her taking on interesting, dramatic roles - maybe carving out a Maggie Gyllenhaal-like career?

And finally, I found myself googling Kelvin Harrison, Jr. after seeing him in It Comes at Night. I thought it was a breakthrough performance, (Apparently he was in Mudbound too, but he didn't stand out for me there.) It looks like he has some interesting projects line up, including Monster, which is set to come out in 2018 and has been getting some buzz.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, sweetcookieface said:

Bel Powley was absolutely fantastic in Diary of a Teenage Girl. I haven't seen her in anything else, and she doesn't necessarily conform to your typical Hollywood starlet look, but I can see her taking on interesting, dramatic roles - maybe carving out a Maggie Gyllenhaal-like career?

An actor named Austin Lyon had a bit part in there as one of the guys she has sex with in the movie. I'm not picturing him as something big, but he's cute and has charisma. I first noticed him in a series of Youtube videos he did and it's pretty cool that he's making some inroads into Hollywood with his bit parts in movies and t.v. shows. I'm rooting for the guy. I could see him fitting into some Freeform sitcom or something like that.

As for Bel, she was so amazing in that and it's a shame the movie didn't get more attention.

I rewatched Everybody Wants Some again recently and I thought again about how much my eye is on both Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch. They've both got that certain something that makes them really watchable. I can't wait to see their Netflix romantic comedy together.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 12/20/2017 at 7:06 AM, aradia22 said:

Joel Edgerton isn't getting lots of lead roles but he's usually my choice when I lament "who keeps giving all these roles to (insert moderately talented white male actor here)?" When I think of actors getting lots of chances, it's the middle of the road actors that really come to mind. The guys who fill out a cast when a director, studio, etc. argues that they couldn't possibly have hired a more diverse cast. 

In light of all the "me too" allegations I tend to think that a lot of this is determined by "who" will go along with things easy... and who won't.  Just this week Brendan Frasier noted his career took a dive after he wouldn't respond favorably to a groping. . Sure if the public demands someone be in a role they will put them there but the Hollywood machine goes for the ones that are beholden to them.   And are quick to throw the ones under the bus who won't go along. 

• Love 1

I might be misreading it but I am sad that the notion of an actor paying their dues doesn’t seem to be valued. Unless an  actor quickly in their career stars in a movie in a major role that becomes a big critical or commercial hit  they are expected to no longer try and get out of the way for somebody else otherwise Hollywood is giving them too many chances. 

I used to find it thrilling when a long gestating actor finally got the success I could see that they had the capability to have but the right set of circumstances simply had long eluded them. 

• Love 2

@Pink ranger I think it's more about what you bring to the table. I think it's wonderful that there are working actors who don't seem to need to be on the fast track to stardom or A-list status. I don't really watch his movies but I know people consider Sam Rockwell one of those guys who does good work in small parts and further distinguishes himself when he's given the opportunity to get juicier material. My issue is with people who are boring or mediocre who inexplicably seem to get a ton of work in which they deliver more of the same when surely someone else would do more with those opportunities. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Pink ranger said:

I might be misreading it but I am sad that the notion of an actor paying their dues doesn’t seem to be valued. Unless an  actor quickly in their career stars in a movie in a major role that becomes a big critical or commercial hit  they are expected to no longer try and get out of the way for somebody else otherwise Hollywood is giving them too many chances. 

I used to find it thrilling when a long gestating actor finally got the success I could see that they had the capability to have but the right set of circumstances simply had long eluded them. 

Paul Rudd took a long time to get to the point where he could be the leading man of a Marvel movie. He's had a pretty wide, diverse kind of career but it's crazy to think that it really took him 20 years to get from his break-out male ingenue role in Clueless to headlining a Marvel movie. He's been both the lead and supporting character in a wide array of movies (some that were hits) but Ant-Man was the most high-profile thing he's done.

He definitely seemed to take the "long star" approach and it's paying off for him.

It also has helped that Paul managed to maintain his boyishly good looks way past when most men no longer have them.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

He definitely seemed to take the "long star" approach and it's paying off for him.

One thing I love about his career path is that it meant he could show up anywhere.  He could be in a movie, show up for a recurring arc on TV or even do silly stuff with Adam Scott. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

One thing I love about his career path is that it meant he could show up anywhere.  He could be in a movie, show up for a recurring arc on TV or even do silly stuff with Adam Scott. 

He's in Mute on Netflix homaging Elliot Gould's Trapper John McIntire in M*A*S*H with the mustache and everything!

• Love 1

It's like Judy Greer -- she gets lots of work and does good things with her roles, but she's not a star (yet).

Of course, 99% of actors can't support themselves with acting jobs, so there's a lot to be said for being one of the Hey It's That Person actors.

• Love 5

Joel Edgerton did have a lot of success with The Gift, which he wrote, starred, and directed, but yeah, I would put him on the poster for "insert generic white guy here." He's not really a leading man, but he's not a character actor either. He's just sort of there.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

And Will Smith has aged out of the roles that made him famous so there's definitely a niche spot to fill right now.

I do have a theory that actors become stars when there's a gap that needs to be filled. Cary Grant just retired from acting? Boom, here comes Michael Caine in Alfie. Judy Garland died? Well, you'll like Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I do have a theory that actors become stars when there's a gap that needs to be filled. Cary Grant just retired from acting? Boom, here comes Michael Caine in Alfie. Judy Garland died? Well, you'll like Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl.

That cycle is REALLY pronounced with teen idols. Tab Hunter getting a little long in the tooth? Well, here's Troy Donahue! The cast of Beverly Hills 90210 are now a little long in the tooth? Well, here's the cast of Dawson's Creek! They're not actors but I remember when Austin Mahone was supposed to be the next Justin Bieber, but then it actually turned out to be Shawn Mendes.

I mean, I don't personally think Emma Stone is that similar to Lindsey Lohan, but she did fill the gap of the loveable redheaded romantic heroine that Lindsey was supposed to fill until she went off the rails.

And of course, there's something pretty meta about this scene:

In turn, people are pretty much already pushing 13-year old Millie Bobby Brown as the next Natalie Portman:

It's a never-ending cycle, really.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

It's like Judy Greer -- she gets lots of work and does good things with her roles, but she's not a star (yet).

Of course, 99% of actors can't support themselves with acting jobs, so there's a lot to be said for being one of the Hey It's That Person actors.

Danny Trejo has become a "star" by amassing a bunch of HITG credits. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I think Michael B. Jordan could potentially be a really big star. He's very charismatic and a really good actor. 

Andrew Garfield was so enamored with Michael's work on The Wire that he pestered everyone with ears to cast Michael as MJ  in Spider-Man sequel. I wish they had cast Michael B. Jordan as Harry Osborne as opposed to the anemic Dane Dehaan. I've been watching Michael since his days on All My Children as Reggie.

But then again, I've been watching Ryan Gosling since Breaker High too.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5