Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Lucille & Kidd Cole

(edited)

This was one of the craziest Catfish episodes yet. Has anyone ever racked up the amount of money Kidd Cole owes people? I laughed my ass off at them not knowing how to use the recording equipment though. How did he not think his cover was blown at that point? And he was STILL volatile with them as if he did nothing wrong. Apparently, he's likely going to be going to jail soon for other frauds he has committed so there is that. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 5

I really wish the producers would stop interfearing with Nev and Max. They did it in the Antwane episode and they did it again here - let the catfish be pushed on what they did. Some people just aren't sympathetic, and I feel like if you even piss off Nev, then you know you're an asshole.

I rewound Nev throwing the phone in the ocean 5 or 6 times. That was hilarious.

• Love 5

I...wh--...huh?

I don't even understand what happened on this episode. Wait, I'm so confused.

Nev throwing the phone into the river was hilarious. I am still so confused about what happened in this episode. So how are those companies going to get paid?!

Looking forward to next week. Tracie Thoms!!

• Love 1

Princess Sparkle, I agree with you about the dumb Producer! Leave things alone, let them play out instead of always butting in! Sheesh, the guy deserved any wrath that Nev was giving him, it was not Nev doing anything wrong. How much does a new I-phone cost compared to the huge bills these people have been left with?

I have to admit, Nev and Max can do no wrong in my eyes.

Kidd Cole kind of reminds me of an older brother of Steve Urkle!

• Love 4

Nev throwing the phone into the river was hilarious. I am still so confused about what happened in this episode. So how are those companies going to get paid?!

They aren't. Well, I guess they could sue him now since they know who and where he is now but I doubt they would see a penny. The guy was pretty much homeless and is likely going to jail for whatever he did to that Virginia University anyway. 

Throwing the phone in the river:  Nev was awesome!!!  Although getting him on camera actively destroying someone's property probably wasn't the kind of drama the producers wanted.

The producer guy not knowing how to work the equipment was comedy gold.

It still never ceases to amaze me how Nev and Max, in about 5 minutes time using their sooper secret detective tools Instagram, Facebook, etc., find these people who apparently have never heard of 'the Google.'

• Love 3

My post from TWOP..

I am still trying to figure out what Kidd Cole wanted from his catfishees. Did he just want to pretend he was famous, being driven around in a Mercedes with security in tow, or does he really want to be famous, so he thought if he could "lead the life", so to speak, he would eventually start rubbing elbows with Kanye, et. al and work some kind of deal. But that makes no sense,because apparently he has no music at all to try and promote. Most catfish who are in for money want cold hard cash, credit cards, etc. Was he charging up people cards, other than with limo rides and such?

I do not understand how these businesses are victimized. I have used car services before and they won't even pick you up without a substantial deposit. And they don't leave your curb without payment in full. So why were these limo companies giving service with no advance payment? Same for hotels, they don't let you book a room without running a credit card. Was he getting Lucille and others to use their own cards? Who does that?? You meet someone online and use your personal credit card because you trust a complete stranger? That's crazy! Part of me wanted to shake Lucille and Loretta for being stupid. If someone HIRES you, you NEVER should pay out of your pocket. If you do, it's not a JOB.

And the guy with the studio, I didn't understand who that was. Was the house his parents? I was half thinking they broke into someone's house because they knew there was a studio. If the house belonged to his parents, you would think a 20-something son would know how to use the studio equipment.

Lastly, can you copyright beats? I know you can copyright works of music, but beats? He said he had paperwork. I wanted to see it.

I actually enjoyed this episode, because my guess is catfishing for stuff is much more common than catfishing for relationships. It was a welcome break from the obese, oppposite gender, best friend in disguise stories we see week after week.

As I said on TWOP..

The best was the fake producer in the studio thing. They didn't even know enough about music production to figure out how to make the mic work. I'm betting Kidd Cole never sat in a real studio even once in his life. I just was shocked that he tried to keep up the lie even though it was obvious they knew everything.

And Nev was amazing for throwing his phone, I was rather annoyed production stepped in and made him apologize. I'm getting tired of the producers forcing Nev and Max to coddle these con-artist assholes. They need a good dose of reality, and perhaps even an ass kicking. Too bad no one threw any punches on that pier.

As far as people saying scammers don't belong on Catfish, I don't agree. Regardless what their intent is a catfish is still a scammer. It was really nice, for once, to see some other sort of story besides some unconfident fat person hiding behind someone else's photos on Facebook. I mean, come on...that ship has sailed.

I just hope this Kidd Cole idiot passes his mental evaluation so he can stand trial for scamming that Virginia University. He deserves whatever punishment the judge hands down.

• Love 1

It still never ceases to amaze me how Nev and Max, in about 5 minutes time using their sooper secret detective tools Instagram, Facebook, etc., find these people who apparently have never heard of 'the Google.'

I have always said that I don't believe these people don't know how to research this shit. It's more that they are purposely choosing to believe the lie so they don't do their homework on these people. Especially in the case of the romantic relationships. They want to buy into the fantasy that this person is really who they say they are. Subconsciously, I think they know they are fooling themselves. 

• Love 1

I watch Catfish on and off- it is a hard show to watch because I have a friend who was "catfished" repeatedly (she is not the sharpest tool in the shed) and despite her losses she keeps taking the bait. I have given up on her.

This episode was crazy. Producer interference, why??? The phone deserved to be thrown in the lake. I wish they had not bought him a new phone!

I wish they had not bought him a new phone!

They pretty much had to legally.

I'm a little unclear on something in the recap. How was Lucille supposed to have seen the Facebook page that was only created after/in response to Loretta being scammed? The recap also says that Lucille was conned first, which I think is correct, but that would mean the page didn't exist yet.

They pretty much had to legally.

I'm a little unclear on something in the recap. How was Lucille supposed to have seen the Facebook page that was only created after/in response to Loretta being scammed? The recap also says that Lucille was conned first, which I think is correct, but that would mean the page didn't exist yet.

I'm not sure that Loretta is the one who created the Facebook page. I thought it was created and several people wrote about being scammed by Kidd Cole and Loretta just happened to be one of the people who wrote something.

I'm not sure that Loretta is the one who created the Facebook page. I thought it was created and several people wrote about being scammed by Kidd Cole and Loretta just happened to be one of the people who wrote something.

Nev was being dramatic. The page was created on February 15 of this year and starts with a detailed account on that date of what happened to Loretta. The writer calls Loretta their friend and the writing doesn't sound like her, so I don't think she actually created it herself, but it didn't exist prior to her troubles with Kidd Cole.

I rewound Nev throwing the phone in the ocean 5 or 6 times. That was hilarious.

Me too! I have never loved Nev more than I did in that moment.

I agree about hating the producers for interfering but mostly because it took back the great feelings I had from watching that phone go flying into the water. And, I thought Nev was on point talking about how upsetting it is when you lose something important to you. However, besides the destruction of property by Nev being caught on camera, they're dealing with someone they already know is a scam artist that they've managed to corner. That is already a volatile situation without the phone toss so I can imagine the concern that situation produced so I understood why they wanted to quell tensions. Still, that phone toss was probably the most satisfying Catfish segment I've seen to date.

Essentially MTV just made a 40 minute PSA against this scammer so good on 'em for that.

I tried doing a search for "Kidd Cole" and the first few pages have just his own pages, plus a few about the Catfish episode, which I figure were recent additions since the episode aired.

Then I tried searching "Kidd Cole scam" and for that, the first hit was this: https://www.facebook.com/asstojail . That page seems to have gone up in February, after the scam of the D.C. limo service. She claims that before he scammed her, there was no bad info about him available.

• Love 1
(edited)

When "couch time" ended and Nev & Max got up, that was a smile of RELIEF on Kidd Cole's face because he was probably thinking "whew, they didn't call me out on my bullshit redemption speech". Nev throwing the phone was hilarious and SO satisfying. 

P.S. Cut your nails!

Edited by glitterpants

MTV has now put up the two segments that were missing in the full episode video.  They were the most satisfying moments, if you ask me.

I'm not sure if Kidd Cole is convinced he has to fake it until he makes it or if he just wants to taste the high life.  Either way, he was going full tilt on the scam.  I think he believes himself because his entire world is lies.

I'm still confused about Lucille's setting up high school performances for Kidd Cole.  She stated as much, but never mentioned if he just didn't show up or was that portion supposed to be left up to Miguel and she primarily set up limos and security.  No mention of hotels either.

Lucille was so incredibly calm facing this goober. I would have had a hard time not punching him. I was thrilled that Nev threw his phone away. Loved it. 

I feel like we're missing part of the story, though - did ANYONE pay ANYTHING for all of these drivers, security, etc? If not, how is that possible?

This was the first dude that I thought - oh crap, he's going to shoot someone - when they were talking to him. He's just sort of dead behind the eyes. 

When they didn't know how to work the recording equipment and Nev filmed himself saying "they are trying to figure out how to get the microphone to work," I actually did laugh out loud. 

• Love 1

Up until they met the catfish, the highlight of this episode for me was Loretta - she was hilarious and I hope there's a fan page for her out there somewhere.  "I will haunt you like a ghost.  Just call me 'Spooky'" just about made me do a spit take.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut then, yeah, Nev!  I had to pause the ep to squawk about what he did!  He's usually so good-natured and puppy doggy!  And the producer muttering "S---"  I'm sure they had to apologize and promise a new phone because the producer has visions of liability dancing in his head, but I definitely was on Nev's side in the moment.

Also, "asstojail" is a phenomenal Facebook username.

• Love 4
(edited)

I laughed when Nev through "Kidd Cole's" phone in the river; but I knew the producers would chastise him for it.  No matter how scummy someone is, destruction of property is a crime.  I get why Nev did it, but it's still a crime.

I had a friend who was scammed about 14 years ago; she was promised a job but the person who "offered" her the job wasn't even working there himself.  She never contacted the HR department of the place she was supposed to work.  I think sometimes what happens is, you get an offer that's so good and you just want to believe it's true.  

I think that Kidd picked Loretta because he knew she was a small business owner who probably was happy to get a call from NYC and when she heard the words "Kanye West."  A larger limo company IMO wouldn't have been so gullible.  

To me "Kidd Cole" reminded me of David Hampton (Six Degrees of Separation)

I think this was the most interesting episode yet.  

Edited by Neurochick

not liking this season so far.  Kidd Cole should be in jail for all the money he scammed from various people.

They should not of have Nev apologize for throwing the phone and definitely not gotten him a new one!

I laughed when Nev through "Kidd Cole's" phone in the river; but I knew the producers would chastise him for it.  No matter how scummy someone is, destruction of property is a crime.  I get why Nev did it, but it's still a crime.

The only thing that would have made the scene better would be if Nev told Kidd he could go ahead and deduct the cost of a new phone from what he owed Lucille/Loretta and they'd give her that money, rather than offering to get him another one.

• Love 2

The only thing that would have made the scene better would be if Nev told Kidd he could go ahead and deduct the cost of a new phone from what he owed Lucille/Loretta and they'd give her that money, rather than offering to get him another one.

Amen! I would've told him that he could sue me in Small Claims Court if he wanted money for his phone. Would have told him when he appeared in court for the case to be expecting to be served his own papers for the many people who were going to be suing him.

One problem, the producers would be afraid that others might be afraid to appear on the show because of what they allowed Nev to get away with. Producers would never allow it, and too bad because I believe that everyone would be cheering.

I just saw this now because it made it on the list of New & Max's 15 Craziest Catfish Moments which aired last night. It was #1.

Of course then he wouldn't have taken him to his "recording studio" with his "sound engineer" which I guess was pretty funny (I only read about it as it wasn't aired last night).

So they should have waited until the very last moment to let him know. Like after saying goodbye add a by the way....about your phone.......well, sue us, yada yada ya.

I've been watching on Hulu and this episode isn't available.  Nor is it available on the MTV site, although all the other episodes are.....  Does anyone know why?  I wanted to see Nev throw the phone, dammit!

I've been watching on Hulu and this episode isn't available.  Nor is it available on the MTV site, although all the other episodes are.....  Does anyone know why?  I wanted to see Nev throw the phone, dammit!

I would guess his lawyers had everything yanked after he was arrested on the terrorism charges. Or maybe even the prosecution had the show yanked so the jury pool doesn't get contaminated.