Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

Mea Culpa, GH - I'm so sorry for your Bawamare!  Just one question:  What did you eat before bed last night???  Dreaming about Bawa would be scary in any context, but you really went to the maximum!  Feel better now...it's Noon.

I had Fettuccine Alfredo! Because I hadn't had it in years!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

IMO, Star was much more likely to suck up to the man/female "celeb," just one of many traits I despised in Ms. Jones.  

But see, that's the best part ... that Star Jones went so deliciously off script.  She just reached over and grabbed the wheel of the car and yanked it into the ditch.  She had to know she was going to get thrown out of the building by security minutes after the show ended, but she did it anyway.  And left Barbara to mop up the mess.  You just don't see TV people willing to do things like too often, especially not someone like Star. It was perfection.

I finally got away--and woke up. And none of it would have happened if I hadn't watched that clip of Star announcing her departure, followed by Bawawa's bitter/angry/passive aggressive 'splanation as to why Star wasn't there, and how she didn't follow the rules and keep her mouth quiet. I mean, Bawawa did say, that she and ABC told Star she could say whatever she wanted for why she was leaving, right? And Star did. Star didn't say that ABC didn't renew. THAT was on Bawawa and it made her look undignified and so very unprofessional; acting as if Star had trash talked Bawawa in the previous day's show.

What I gleaned from Barbara's explanation was that when they told Star she would not be coming back, they told her she could make up whatever little lie she wanted to cover and ABC would play along.  Star was apparently expected to keep showing up for work like nothing happened until such time it suited ABC for her to pack her shit and leave.  But Star decided the "story" she was going to tell was the truth and she was going to do it sooner rather than later.  And being absent from the show from there on out, it's clear she was immediately fired for her choice.  I think ABC had expected Star to fabricate some reason for leaving that made it sound like it had been her choice to go, so the network didn't look like the bad guy.  But Star pissed right in their Wheaties, lol!  I don't care how big a pain she can be, I will always love her for that. 

• Love 10

I think Sunny is a tad bit more humble between the two. Give her a 1 year contract to keep her humble.

Star cd come on with special reports, maybe 3x a year, or not at all. Star's ego would blow up given another shot at a job where she publically shit on her boss. I understand the sentiment of "take this job and shove it", especially when someone else does it, although that temporary ego boost can burn bridges for years, and not be good for future jobs in the same industry. Save the kvetching for your girlfriends after you have secured a helpful reference. Nope. Dont like Star at all. Go away and write your thinly-veiled books still trying to cash in on the best-paying job you ever had.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 2

Great plan! Meredith and Joy cd alternate being moderator......

NBC has Meredith locked into a contract.  She is co-hosting the Rio Olympics in August.  She likely has enough loophole to make an appearance or two, sorta like when Babs retired.

I don't think Candace will be back.  She accomplished her goal:  Fuller House is going to be Netflix's biggest hit ever.  Sunny and Raven aren't going anywhere. I suspect Michelle will be official "dropped" to one of their 50-episode contracts.  That leaves a few open seats around the table.

• Love 1

I think Candace will be back.  She's a relatively calm Christian voice I think the show is after.  Right now, I'd guess Whoopi becomes a regular guest host.  ABC is so dumb I see them wanting to keep her in some capacity, and she just wants the check.  So Joy, Paula, Candace, Suni, and Sarah with Whoopi taking the Sherri role that never worked out is my guess for now.  But I guess it will be awhile before it's announced.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

Honestly, I'm using Joy as a weathervane right now. I'm not saying she's in control, but I'm guessing she has quite a bit of input since, imo, she helped to keep this show from going under by returning. They likely see it that way, too, considering the 3-year contract they gave her. That's why I'm sure Raven and Michelle are toast. Neither have caught on and it looks like Joy hates them both, so... I still think Whoopi will be completely out. I'm sure TPTB could forgive her for the mayhem caused while Rosie O'Donnell was there, but to then continue it throughout this season... Why would they want to keep that going? And considering the unexpected tension between her and Joy, I doubt Joy will keep a good word out for her anymore either. But maybe they're afraid to lose the name value she brings? Who knows.

Unfortunately, Joy seems to like Candace--and, egad, Sherri! Too bad since I can't stand Candace constantly bringing the show down to religion and because she brings nothing to the table that Paula isn't already. I'm expecting a panel of Joy, Sunny, Candace, Sara, and Paula (or Sherri, in the off chance they fire Candace). Wow... What a diverse View that will be. /sarcasm

• Love 1

Honestly, I'm using Joy as a weathervane right now. I'm not saying she's in control, but I'm guessing she has quite a bit of input since, imo, she helped to keep this show from going under by returning. They likely see it that way, too, considering the 3-year contract they gave her. That's why I'm sure Raven and Michelle are toast. Neither have caught on and it looks like Joy hates them both, so... I still think Whoopi will be completely out. I'm sure TPTB could forgive her for the mayhem caused while Rosie O'Donnell was there, but to then continue it throughout this season... Why would they want to keep that going? And considering the unexpected tension between her and Joy, I doubt Joy will keep a good word out for her anymore either. But maybe they're afraid to lose the name value she brings? Who knows.

Why does this show do anything they do?  Why did they hire a stable of "contributors" some of which we haven't seen for months all the while putting Sunny and Sara front and center almost the entire month of sweeps?  Why do they insist on promoting some show [Fuller House] the network passed on buying?  Why do they revamp every thing about The View when Babs leaves but are too cheap to show Whoopi the door?     Why did they hire Born Again Barbie, who lives in California and has only two things to talk about ever:  her faith and her Netflix show.   

I gave up on this show making any sense a long time ago and find the random way TPTB make decisions to be part of the snarkworthy stuff about it.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

I don't understand why ABC is making such a big deal over Candace's new  show unless Netflix is actually payiing ABC for the publicity.

Good Lord me too! Im stumped! the whole dang showed was Fuller House the other day. BLARG

• Love 3

I would add to that article that ABC gave Joy an offer she couldn't refuse. 3 years at $2.5 million per. I'm glad Joy is back and she should be the moderator.

• Love 3
(edited)

Has anyone mentioned this article about how Candace parents like the Duggars?

Here's part of it: Bure has allegedly admitted to using the same controversial parenting strategies as the Duggar family. According to The Hollywood Gossip, Bure wrote in a 2004 blog post that has since been deleted: "The books that guideline raising our children are the Bible, Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp and To Train Up a Child by Michael & Debi Pearl. My parenting tip of the day is consistency; it’s key."

(Not sure if this is the right place to put this)

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1114305/candace-cameron-bure?utm_source=SheKnowsDaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160305&utm_term=SKDailySubscribersFINAL&utm_content=6229938

ETA: I've thoroughly looked through this forum four times and I still don't see a Candace topic...maybe I'm losing it.

Edited by ChiCricket
(edited)

Interesting read about the show. Joy talks about why she came back.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-view-politics-election-2016-2

I'm typing from my phone so I'm unable to quote two portions of the article-both made me roll my eyes and the second had me laughing in derision.

The first-where it states how Rosie O., Nicolle, and Rosie P. "Left the show" making it sound like they all left of their own free volition. As far as I know, only Rosie O. quit. The other two were fired.

And the second? Where Candi (I'm blanking on her last name) states how these ladies don't talk over each other and how it's so refreshing to see that. Made me laugh. Like, does she even watch this show? Candi works for ABC I think.

And could Candace's dress be any shorter?

And yeah, the article failed to also mention the money Joy is getting to stay.

And unless talking to the women via telephone is considered "have come on the show" then that blowhard Drumpf has YET to appear.

I guess I should be grateful the article wasn't written with nothing but tweets, which most of their articles tend to do.

Here's part of it: Bure has allegedly admitted to using the same controversial parenting strategies as the Duggar family. According to The Hollywood Gossip, Bure wrote in a 2004 blog post that has since been deleted: "The books that guideline raising our children are the Bible, Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp and To Train Up a Child by Michael & Debi Pearl. My parenting tip of the day is consistency; it’s key."

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1114305/candace-cameron-bure?utm_source=SheKnowsDaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160305&utm_term=SKDailySubscribersFINAL&utm_content=6229938

I'm pretty sure Candace has her own thread, and articles related to her specifically, or talk about her, can go there. Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Joy is following the script according to those statements. I still think she was forced to leave and we know this season was initially planned to be light and frothy, which is why Michelle and Raven were hired. The way the announcement was made, Joy's return came at the eleventh hour. This show would've been completely irrelevant without her.

• Love 3

Interesting article even if factually wrong.  I thought this was hilarious: 

"Our goals coming in this season were actually bringing 'The View' back to its original intention," Candi Carter, who was just named the show's first black executive producer, told BI. "And a piece of that is politics. This show has always done politics."

...because if the intention this season was to talk politics more often then why in the hell would they have fired Nicole and hired CCB - someone who actually has said she's had to think more about poltics during the couple months on this show than in her whole life. Or how about Raven who told us everything she knows about politics and government she learned from watching House of Cards.   

So maybe Joy came back to talk about the election but CCB is there to talk about the Bible and Fuller House and Raven is there to explain social media to everyone.  Whoopi is just there for the paycheck and I'm not sure why Michelle is there but it's pretty clear she has very little interest in the election outside of material for her jokes.  

• Love 5

ETA: I've thoroughly looked through this forum four times and I still don't see a Candace topic...maybe I'm losing it.

I don't think "we" (as in the Royal) thought she'd be around long enough to warrant a topic.  Just sayin'.

• Love 3

HA!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/03/08/fuller-house-star-candace-cameron-bure-ripped-for-show-racy-storylines/?utm_source=TMZtaboola&utm_medium=referral

Some of CCB's fans are disappointed in the subject matter of "Fuller House".   It's not reflecting the "Christian values"  that CCB says are so important to her. 

Who knew the "Full House" reboot "Fuller House" would cause such controversy?

Ripped by TV critics who couldn't stand it, the Netflix series is also in trouble with viewers who say it's too racy to be considered family friendly viewing

"Another disappointed viewer here," wrote another viewer. "Please make season 2 appropriate for family viewing. I don't want political correctness (same-gender kissing etc), sexual innuendos, masturbation references, sexy dancing, and drinking. I want the cheesy jokes, hugs, and silly scenarios that ‘Full House’ is known and loved for. Please cut the other stuff out......................................................
  • Love 4

HA!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/03/08/fuller-house-star-candace-cameron-bure-ripped-for-show-racy-storylines/?utm_source=TMZtaboola&utm_medium=referral

Some of CCB's fans are disappointed in the subject matter of "Fuller House".   It's not reflecting the "Christian values"  that CCB says are so important to her. 

From the article:

She kisses various random men during her dating escapades, rather than trying to get to know the person in order to forge a committed relationship,” she said. “Not to mention that the entire show is filled with characters drinking, fornicating and all out debauchery.”

Awesome. 

Do her 'fans' think she writes the show too?  

• Love 2

Another disappointed viewer here," wrote another viewer. "Please make season 2 appropriate for family viewing. I don't want political correctness (same-gender kissing etc), sexual innuendos, masturbation references, sexy dancing, and drinking. I want the cheesy jokes, hugs, and silly scenarios that ‘Full House’ is known and loved for. Please cut the other stuff out......................................................

So maybe this viewer should just watch reruns of the original Full House.

• Love 4

Awesome. 

Do her 'fans' think she writes the show too?  

I think the criticism is directed at her statements that her Christian values rule her life, and that as a Christian she has to carry out those values with integrity in al areas of her life.    So, if it was important to HER that the character she portrays has certain "values", she could have refused to do certain things (drinking, making out with two guys)  on the show.  

What I find funny, though, is that I am old enough to recall when "Full House" original recipe was first out, there was a lot of criticism about a bunch of men raising little girls.  Some people thought a bunch of men living together hinted at homosexuality, (Bob Saget seemed gay to some)  others thought it was outrageous that a dad would let other men be around little girls. 

Bob Saget addressed some of this in his stand-up act a long time ago in a bit called "Danny Tanner was not gay" (don't watch if you don't want to hear him say "fuck"  a hundred times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sCORuqZQY

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2

I think the criticism is directed at her statements that her Christian values rule her life, and that as a Christian she has to carry out those values with integrity in all areas of her life.    So, if it was important to HER that the character she portrays has certain "values", she could have refused to do certain things (drinking, making out with two guys)  on the show.  

Oh, thanks backformore.  That makes more sense.  Gotta love a bunch of judgy Christians judging each other. 

• Love 5

I remember when the Starbucks controversy happened (they took Christmas off theirm cups or something?), and CCB did a Facebook post essentially telling everyone to chill out, and that she could still drink Starbucks in a red cup *AND* be a Christian. I think there is a part of her fan base that expects her to be as fanatical as her brother is, and I think she is a bit more evolved (which is faaaaiinntttt praise, I know).

• Love 1

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/THE-VIEW-Outdoes-THE-TALK-in-All-Key-Demos-20160324

They’re beating The Talk by a much greater degree than the last ratings article I read. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to dislike about the co-hosts of The View, but I’d take this show any day over The Talk.

http://www.hollywoodtake.com/view-cast-fired-soon-raven-symone-whoopi-goldberg-and-joy-behar-have-critics-so-do-guest-149746

So Candace will be back next week…. Maybe we should be grateful if it keeps Jedediah off the show. What a reverse Sophie's Choice we've been given.

• Love 2

Back in the Bill Geddie tenure it was called "making sparks".

I still prefer the days when it was a nice show about women having intelligent conversations.  And I get tired of the argument that this is just the age we live in and controversy and outrageousness is what people want to see.  That is such bullshit.  If you want an audience of idiots then sure offer up crap but if you want an audience of smart concerned viewers then put on a thought-provoking show and they will tune in.

I left after Joy left and was replaced by Jenny McCarthy.  If ABC wants me to come back then they need to get rid of Raven and CCB.  Being a child star does not qualify you to sit at table and discuss important topics.  Well Brooke Shields qualifies but she had a college education.  And I'm not saying you have to some college degree but I think having life experiences outside of film sets would help a lot.

• Love 6

I still prefer the days when it was a nice show about women having intelligent conversations.  And I get tired of the argument that this is just the age we live in and controversy and outrageousness is what people want to see.  That is such bullshit.  If you want an audience of idiots then sure offer up crap but if you want an audience of smart concerned viewers then put on a thought-provoking show and they will tune in.

I left after Joy left and was replaced by Jenny McCarthy.  If ABC wants me to come back then they need to get rid of Raven and CCB.  Being a child star does not qualify you to sit at table and discuss important topics.  Well Brooke Shields qualifies but she had a college education.  And I'm not saying you have to some college degree but I think having life experiences outside of film sets would help a lot.

Hah! Funny that you said this susieq147. I said almost the same thing in the episode thread!

I liked that show too - doubt we will ever get it back.

• Love 1

So the official hosts/cast (Whoopi, Joy, Michelle, Candace, Raven, and Paula) were at the White House Correspondents Dinner last night, and from what I understand (or as it was explained to me, you had to be invited by one of the press), Candace was there, not as a cast of this show, which is under the ABC News group, but as an invited guest of the Christian Broadcast Group. I bet she was sitting at their table. Because I only saw, or could see Whoopi, Joy, and Paula at The View's table. I think their producer was the guy sitting between Whoopi and Joy. And Paula was on Joy's left.  I was surprised Joy didn't dress up more. Whoopi, well, it's Whoopi, so no 'splanation needed there for her outfit.  

I have to admit, I watched to see one, the President, because he's a funny guy at these affairs; but also to see how Larry Wilmore would do, because he's funny on his own show. But man, he wasn't good at all, which was a shame. Yet, in his defense, his 'audience' that he was talking to, wasn't the press, but the viewers.  Still, I expected better.  

That said, I rolled my eyes at the press, media, EVERYONE treating this as a poor man's Oscars or something. Red Carpet? Hollywood? Now I wish I'd watched these things when it was ONLY the press core that attended.

• Love 3

Before the dinner Michelle, Raven, Candace, Joy and Paula were mingling with the other guests. GMA showed a clip this morning and Paula explained that Whoopi was late and met up with them at the table.

Wilmore was terrible. President Obama was very good.

They will probably talk about it on tomorrow's show.

• Love 1
(edited)

No surprise that Whoopi was late and looked like she was in her jammies.

I got a kick out of the fact that the C-Span announcers (one of them was from People Magazine doing commentary) made it such a point that CCB was not a guest of ABC News but of the Christian Broadcasting Network.

Obama was delightful as always, but I thought that Wilmore slayed it, so biting with some hard truths.  So of course he bombed in the room - since much of his critique was about them.

Personal note, I did a double take when Senator Rand Paul's wife Kelly went flitting by - in the same dress my daughter wore to her younger boyfriend's prom two years ago!

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, NextIteration said:

No surprise that Whoopi was late and looked like she was in her jammies.

I got a kick out of the fact that the C-Span announcers (one of them was from People Magazine doing commentary) made it such a point that CCB was not a guest of ABC News but of the Christian Broadcasting Network.

Obama was delightful as always, but I thought that Wilmore slayed it, so biting with some hard truths.  So of course he bombed in the room - since much of his critique was about them.

I thought Wilmore was good.  I enjoy his show, I like his dry sense of humor and his ability to point out the absurdity of what goes on in the country.  

• Love 5

http://www.inquisitr.com/3060082/whoopi-goldberg-set-to-shake-up-the-view-longtime-host-planning-her-exit/

http://www.mediaite.com/online/report-whoopi-goldberg-and-raven-symone-may-leave-the-view/

http://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2016/05/03/raven-symone-the-view.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-view-shakeup-whoopi-goldberg-raven-symone-candace-cameron-bure-leaving

All these articles about Whoopi, Raven, and Candace leaving make me happy. Those are the three I’ve wanted to go. I always expected they would let Whoopi bow out gracefully since she’s been there so long, which is why I’m not surprised by the “she threatens to leave, tired of the co-host changes, etc.” stories. I’m not their biggest fan per se, but I can get on board with Sunny and Sara. Please don’t bring Jed or Paltrow on. You’re so close to having an all-around decent panel, show, don’t muck it up.

If these headlines about ABC wanting Whoopi are true--let's hope not--it may be she's making a fuss because Raven (her chosen one) is getting the boot, who knows.

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't put much crededence in a lot of the articles flying around the internet.  Half of them don't even spell Whoopi properly and most merely regurgitate the speculative article that the somewhat discredited Variety wanna-be "TheWrap" published a couple weeks ago.

I used to be 99% sure that Whoopi was gonna depart, but I think that The View may realize that her lingering *star* power may be needed to keep the show in the headlines and create "buzz".  Joy and Paula might be capable (er, better) quality moderators, but neither has a fanbase as broad and wide as Ms Goldberg.

The View has always had a "name" as moderator.  It's hard to recall, but Meredith Vieira had been a somewhat well-known, well-regarded journalist (on 60 Minutes, the highest rated show in its era) before she morphed into being a television "personality".  Rosie was famous. And of course Babs and Whoopi are known to probably 95% of the country.  Joy likely has decent name recognition, but I am not sure she brings the "star quality" that ABC wants.

I think there's a good chance we get Whoopi/Joy/Paula/Sunny/Jed/Sara as our 80% hosts for Season 20.  StacyLondon, Michelle, Raven, and Candace are going to get the 50-show deals.  Michelle seemingly is already now only a Monday and Friday fixture.  And Raven's scholastic endeavors will keep her mostly on the sidelines.  Candace can continue doing a few weeks now and then, jetting into NYC, living out of hotels between her acting gigs.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

Speaking of Meredith, her show isn't doing too well, is it?  What's Star doing lately? Would be interesting if they came (almost) full circle.

It was cancelled. They pre-taped a lot of episodes to air in March,  April and May before going out of production. I think the last few of those are airing next week.

• Love 2

The View denies they're getting rid of Raven

ABC’s The View began making headlines in regards to the abrupt firing of cohosts when Debbie Matenopoulos was let go in 1999 and—oh!—how not far we’ve come in the past 17 years! Currently rumored to be on the talk show’s chopping block is the ever-controversial Raven-Symoné, who insiders say is not long for the daytime world.

“They’ve already been eyeing someone to replace her at the table, and she’s aware,” a source tells Page Six. “She wants to focus on her acting again.”

That’s so Raven.

Publicly, however, people at The View are denying the shakeup. A rep calls the rumors “ridiculous,” adding:

“Ratings are up. We are very happy with the team we have. Raven is a great addition to the panel.”

Interesting -   Whenever someone is getting kicked off, the first thing to happen is the network denying the rumors. 

But with Raven gone -  who will do that rainbow "what color to dye my hair"  wheel?  and what about all those manicure ideas we've been sending in?   She's but SUCH a great addition!

• Love 3
(edited)

“Ratings are up. We are very happy with the team we have. Raven is a great addition to the panel.”

I wonder who they consider members of  "the team" they are so happy with?      That random girl that sat in today that's Jessica Simpson's first husband's second wife?  Or GMA  Sarah?   How about Sunny, is she part of "the team"?   Or are they talking about the co-hosts on the titles, Whoopi, Joy, CCB, Raven, Paula, and oh, Michelle - who is almost never there anymore.   How about the "contributors" who disappeared around November?  Is Jed part of the "the team" too?   Hey ABC, WHAT TEAM?

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Cosmocrush said:

I wonder who they consider members of  "the team" they are so happy with?      That random girl that sat in today that's Jessica Simpson's first husband's second wife?  Or GMA  Sarah?   How about Sunny, is she part of "the team"?   Or are they talking about the co-hosts on the titles, Whoopi, Joy, CCB, Raven, Paula, and oh, Michelle - who is almost never there anymore.   How about the "contributors" who disappeared around November?  Is Jed part of the "the team" too?   Hey ABC, WHAT TEAM?

I don't think even they know!   They are trying to get a cohesive group together that will "make" sparks but instead of looking for smart women who can discuss subjects  with intelligence and wit,  they are trying to put the group together with one liberal, one conservative,  one bible- lover, etc. and it isn't working. 

• Love 4