Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

Rosie gets trashed yet again -

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/rosie-o-donnell-morale-view-rising-article-1.2142241

So fluff, no substance, and Whoopi's ineptitude are what the audience and staff prefer? 

Well, this part doesn't surprise me. I like how they even named their source "gossip"  LOL

Apparently the new mood suits the remaining panelists, Rosie Perez, Whoopi Goldberg and Nicolle Wallace. “Whoopi is much happier,” adds the gossip.

Of course Whoopi is happier!  She's holding court and running her own show.  I am surprised that ratings are up - IF that's even true.  

• Love 7

Well, this part doesn't surprise me. I like how they even named their source "gossip"  LOL

Of course Whoopi is happier!  She's holding court and running her own show.  I am surprised that ratings are up - IF that's even true.  

If they are up, I wonder what they are comparing them to? Does it state a particular time frame?

• Love 1

Perhaps the Rosie trashing to the media was one Jennifer Shepherd-Brookman as she was named in Daily Mail.  She is now fired.  Perhaps the NY Daily article was also her piece of work too?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2991025/Veteran-View-producer-fired-shouting-Rosie-O-Donnell-s-entire-staff.html

I suspected that the same producers were still working on this mess (it shows) and this rag, (who quotes Page Six as a source, lol)  says she's been there eight year years.   Of course she is blaming her firing on RO.  But whatever the reason, I'd say she needed to be fired just for getting away with doing such a crappy job all these years. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 1

Voila!  There is your voice dissing Rosie since September to all the rags

If that is true then all I can say is wow.  You have a job as a producer on a daytime talk show and you leak stuff to some tabloid?  You would think the people working on the View would want the show to do well but if this producer is representative of the staff well then it's no wonder the View is a complete mess.

• Love 7

Voila!  There is your voice dissing Rosie since September to all the rags.

smh

Ah, but there's still another "insider" spewing to the media, since this story was leaked out also.  Sounds like things backstage are every bit as putrid as they are on stage.  The fish is rotten all the way through.

Is there anyone that the almighty Rosie O does get along with?  After a while one must consider that if there is always the same person involved in arguments/disputes/shouting matches, perhaps that's the person who is culpable.  A couple of wives, staff of her first show, staff of her magazine, Tom Selleck, Bitsy, staff of The View and countless others all seem to have problems with the same person - Rosie!  Are we to assume it's always the others' fault when Rosie is always the common denominator?

I'm beginning to think Rosie's safest place to go now is to do a kids' show.  They're the only ones with whom she seems to have a lasting rapport.

JMHO...

ETA:  Judging from the comments left after that Daily Mail article, there aren't many (outside of this forum anyway) that have very much of a positive nature to say about Rosie.  Maybe it's time she lay low for awhile before getting into something else, both professionally and personally.

Edited by Tunia

Judging from the comments left after that Daily Mail article, there aren't many (outside of this forum anyway) that have very much of a positive nature to say about Rosie.

Using this argument, McDonald's has the best burgers on the planet and Fox News is a legitimate source for accurate information. Fact: Rosie was a good moderator. Whoopi is not. Nicolle W is a right wing shill.

• Love 17

^^^Just stating what's there.  Read the comments...

BTW, my original post dealt only with RO.  My comments weren't comparative to any of the other hosts.  I was discussing RO's inability to play well with others.

And even McDonald's is in a public relations downturn - LOL!

Edited by Tunia

ETA:  Judging from the comments left after that Daily Mail article, there aren't many (outside of this forum anyway) that have very much of a positive nature to say about Rosie.  Maybe it's time she lay low for awhile before getting into something else, both professionally and personally.

Well, let's be honest, most people who would post on Daily Mail hate Rosie O because she's a lesbian, a liberal, and an opinionated woman period. Co-hosts of The View generally aren't popular in article comments anyway, but the hatred Rosie O receives supersedes anything related to The View.

I would agree Rosie O is probably difficult to work with for people behind the scenes. But considering the only people I've read she ever had a lot of drama with are named Whoopi, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, and Donald Trump, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, personally.

• Love 16

Well, let's be honest, most people who would post on Daily Mail hate Rosie O because she's a lesbian, a liberal, and an opinionated woman period. Co-hosts of The View generally aren't popular in article comments anyway, but the hatred Rosie O receives supersedes anything related to The View.

I would agree Rosie O is probably difficult to work with for people behind the scenes. But considering the only people I've read she ever had a lot of drama with are named Whoopi, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, and Donald Trump, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, personally.

I can see both sides on the Rosie question, but The Daily Mail is going to attract an audience who would be largely negative to RosieO, not a neutral site. 

• Love 1

The New York Times discusses "The View" today.

Thanks for the link 3pwood!  I liked the family member analogies used to describe all the past co-hosts too.    Actually, I think this story kind of works as an obituary for The Spew as well.

“The overall narrative of ‘The View’ is the relationships of these people to each other, how they develop, mature and fall apart,” said Robert Thompson, a professor of television and popular culture at Syracuse University. “There is a voyeuristic aspect to it. And I’m sure Barbara Walters wouldn’t want to hear this, but there is camp value, too.”

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2

You're welcome, Cosmocrush.  I really liked the drawings too, excellent caricatures.  

I was surprised to see no mention of Lisa Ling.  Not sure which dysfunctional family member she'd represent -- maybe The Quiet One who only spoke when she had something intelligent to say (& thus rather an oddity at family gatherings)?  

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting that the whole point (of the story linked above) is how the co-hosts themselves and the chemistry at the table was the draw of the show - it can make it (as when Meredith, Behar, etc. were there) or break it.  No one tunes in day after day for Whoopi's shoe cam or Shopping Monday or whatever. Or at least I don't.  I watch to see what these morons would do next.  Whoopi seriously asking Sherri about evolution and if the world was flat is still one of my favorite moments of this show. 

And that's exactly why the never ending rotation of co-hosts rarely adds anything.  They aren't around long enough to establish any kind of relationship at all so it's just the viewers watching endless job interviews.  This season has been better when they had the same guest co-host(s) on for a week at a time but it still really doesn't work for me because we know most of these people aren't going to be around for long.  

• Love 10

From the article: 

(Whoopi Goldberg, always ready to pick a fight)

I was beginning to think that we were the only ones that noticed this.  I'm always amazed that RosieO gets pilloried but Whoopi gets off scot-free.

• Love 12

I thought it was interesting that the whole point (of the story linked above) is how the co-hosts themselves and the chemistry at the table was the draw of the show - it can make it (as when Meredith, Behar, etc. were there) or break it. No one tunes in day after day for Whoopi's shoe cam or Shopping Monday or whatever. Or at least I don't. I watch to see what these morons would do next. Whoopi seriously asking Sherri about evolution and if the world was flat is still one of my favorite moments of this show.

And that's exactly why the never ending rotation of co-hosts rarely adds anything. They aren't around long enough to establish any kind of relationship at all so it's just the viewers watching endless job interviews. This season has been better when they had the same guest co-host(s) on for a week at a time but it still really doesn't work for me because we know most of these people aren't going to be around for long.

I agree, I think you've hit on something. That's the unique thing about television. Viewers build a kind of relationship with these people that they invite into their living rooms daily or weekly. They become familiar and viewers need to feel like they're getting to know them at least somewhat. That requires consistency. Love them or hate them, the viewers need to care enough about them to be interested in what they have to say. Otherwise there's no point in tuning in and wasting your time.

I used to care what Meredith, Star, Joy, Lisa and even Babs had to say because even when it was silly it had value and I felt like I had gotten to know those women over time. Even Elisabeth was fun to hate because her nonsense was balanced by the others. I personally thought ROs addition to the group in '07 was a breath of fresh air after all of the Star shenanigans. I didn't always agree with her but I understood her and felt her point of view added life and value to a show that had grown stale. After that imploded in such an ugly fashion the show began circling the drain in earnest for me. From the moment it was announced, I knew Whoopi was a terrible choice, and I even still liked her back then. I just knew she was a terrible choice for this show (although I had no idea then just how terrible). And don't even get me started on Sherri. Ugh. By then the only one I felt I still had a "relationship" with was Joy. I like Joy but she wasn't enough to overcome my lack of interest in what the other nitwits new to the table had to say. Slowly but surely I was deleting more than I watched, until eventually I stopped altogether. I only came back for RO because it felt like the return of an old friend, but sadly the magic just wasn't there the second time around. When she left she took the last shreds of whatever interest I had in anything the others had to say with her. I have no relationship to any of the constantly rotating panel members and none of them add any value whatsoever to the conversation. We certainly don't learn anything and they're not even entertaining - just boring and/or cringeworthy - and that's not worth an hour of my day. I find this forum and its participants more stimulating, well-informed, articulate and entertaining than any of the so called professionals on the show. If I'm going to "waste" an hour of my day I'd much rather do it with you guys!

• Love 12

Whoopi gives me the creeps. What is all this shit about her broken back when she comes out "shucking, jiving and dancing around like an ex-GO-GO-GIRL?"

I broke my back and although it was very serious (burst vertebra)... she just STRAINED her stupid-assed back.

• Love 4

I agree, I think you've hit on something. That's the unique thing about television. Viewers build a kind of relationship with these people that they invite into their living rooms daily or weekly. They become familiar and viewers need to feel like they're getting to know them at least somewhat. That requires consistency. Love them or hate them, the viewers need to care enough about them to be interested in what they have to say. Otherwise there's no point in tuning in and wasting your time.

I used to care what Meredith, Star, Joy, Lisa and even Babs had to say because even when it was silly it had value and I felt like I had gotten to know those women over time. Even Elisabeth was fun to hate because her nonsense was balanced by the others. I personally thought ROs addition to the group in '07 was a breath of fresh air after all of the Star shenanigans. I didn't always agree with her but I understood her and felt her point of view added life and value to a show that had grown stale. After that imploded in such an ugly fashion the show began circling the drain in earnest for me. From the moment it was announced, I knew Whoopi was a terrible choice, and I even still liked her back then. I just knew she was a terrible choice for this show (although I had no idea then just how terrible). And don't even get me started on Sherri. Ugh. By then the only one I felt I still had a "relationship" with was Joy. I like Joy but she wasn't enough to overcome my lack of interest in what the other nitwits new to the table had to say. Slowly but surely I was deleting more than I watched, until eventually I stopped altogether. I only came back for RO because it felt like the return of an old friend, but sadly the magic just wasn't there the second time around. When she left she took the last shreds of whatever interest I had in anything the others had to say with her. I have no relationship to any of the constantly rotating panel members and none of them add any value whatsoever to the conversation. We certainly don't learn anything and they're not even entertaining - just boring and/or cringeworthy - and that's not worth an hour of my day. I find this forum and its participants more stimulating, well-informed, articulate and entertaining than any of the so called professionals on the show. If I'm going to "waste" an hour of my day I'd much rather do it with you guys!

I couldn't agree more.  thanks for articulating it so well.  This show could not be more different than what it started out to be.   The original panel had that feel like they were inviting the audience to hang out and talk with them.  They were interesting, smart, and fun. Like women in your neighborhood, having coffee together in the morning.    

the current panel is more like the neighbors you want to avoid.  

• Love 15
the current panel is more like the neighbors you want to avoid.

Bakformore...sometimes shows/characters want catch lines.  I think you've created something superb, "The View, the neighbors you want to avoid."

• Love 5

Could you imagine the tagline for the neighbors that obsess over everything our View neighbors do? "The Kravitz family! We'll know when you have to shit 2 hours before you do! BTW you did it wrong!!" I think that Whoopi may be a witch. Look at her shoes. 

• Love 2

I don't know where else to put this, lol. Barbara and Joy are on next week:

The View

Season 18, Episode 129

March 27, 2015

A celebration of 4,000 shows features Barbara Walters and Joy Behar. Also: Elisabeth Moss; Derek Hough and Nastia Liukin ("Dancing With the Stars"); Mario Cantone.

• Love 3

I don't know where else to put this, lol. Barbara and Joy are on next week:

The View

Season 18, Episode 129

March 27, 2015

A celebration of 4,000 shows features Barbara Walters and Joy Behar. Also: Elisabeth Moss; Derek Hough and Nastia Liukin ("Dancing With the Stars"); Mario Cantone.

I'm not sure celebration is the word I would choose here since sometimes [most times] I feel the fact that this show is still on is an affront to it's viewers, lol.  Okay, at least to this viewer.   Why rub my nose in it Show?  

And why do they keep going backwards by having Babs on?  They already dedicated an ENTIRE EFFIN' YEAR to her exit!  Joy,  I don't mind so much because she has clearly moved on, like the healthy adult she is or at least she has the dignity to appear that way. 

• Love 5

Every time Barbara makes a guest appearance I cringe.  She looks great for 85 and nicely dressed but the show is too fast for her and she just doesn't get some of the hot topics anymore and she veers off into another land highlighting her age.  She has had so much filler or something around her eyes they bulge and are rather scary looking and they put too much makeup on her.  The makeup stands out on her face rather than blending or something.  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

This was in Cindy Adams' column in today's New York Post:

Sounds like a boom with a ‘view’

The view of “The View”? Dim. Ratings are beneath its copycat shows. Network smart alecks intend keeping it. Reason? It’s a famous name. A replacement costs a crateload, nothing marketable’s ready, and who knows if anything new will fare better? They’re now hunting youngyoungyoung types who’ll be lowbrow funny, not highbrow political.

And backstage tensions??? Rosie O’Donnell said when her name popped up on a prompter, Whoopi slid past rather than mention it. True or not, Rosie told me that personally.

The view of “The View”? Dim. Ratings are beneath its copycat shows. Network smart alecks intend keeping it. Reason? It’s a famous name. A replacement costs a crateload, nothing marketable’s ready, and who knows if anything new will fare better? They’re now hunting youngyoungyoung types who’ll be lowbrow funny, not highbrow political.

And backstage tensions??? Rosie O’Donnell said when her name popped up on a prompter, Whoopi slid past rather than mention it. True or not, Rosie told me that personally.

Good grief.   I knew Whoopi was completely unprofessional on this show (wardrobe, fart jokes, unprepared, loaded, etc) but I honestly didn't reallize she was this petty.  I believe it though.  I'm looking forward to the day they cancel this mess. 

• Love 3

Good grief.   I knew Whoopi was completely unprofessional on this show (wardrobe, fart jokes, unprepared, loaded, etc) but I honestly didn't reallize she was this petty.  I believe it though.  I'm looking forward to the day they cancel this mess.

I would absolutely believe Whoopi is that petty.  Jesus Christ the woman is an EGOT winner and she still acts like an insecure child.

• Love 4

Cindy Adams is a very close friend of Barbara Walters...thinking she had Barbara's tacit OK to go ahead and print that.....the fact that she would allow any negative publicity about The View's moderator is interesting. I'm thinking the show will be back next season without Whoopi, with Nicole, and 3 other cohosts of varying ages.

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 4

Cindy Adams is a very close friend of Barbara Walters...thinking she had Barbara's tacit OK to go ahead and print that.....the fact that she would allow any negative publicity about The View's moderator is interesting. I'm thinking the show will be back next season without Whoopi, with Nicole, and 3 other cohosts of varying ages.

Babs sold her interest in this show although knowing Babs' she probably still thinks of it as her show.  

Thursday is the last day of taping, until April 13. I wonder how the ratings will be when they return. Two weeks off could find them really low, imo.

I can't believe they survived the February sweeps.  But this show is like a cockroach - nothing can kill it apparently.  

• Love 2

Babs sold her interest in this show although knowing Babs' she probably still thinks of it as her show.

I can't believe they survived the February sweeps. But this show is like a cockroach - nothing can kill it apparently.

There was a brief Q & A with Babs in People Magazine back in late December (around the time of her 10 Most Fascinating special) in which she stated she's still co-exec producing The View along with being an occasional guest/guest host. So the question is, is that Babs being a bit delusional and/or disingenuous about her current role with the show or does that explain a LOT about why the show is still such a hot mess? Hmmm.....

• Love 2

There was a brief Q & A with Babs in People Magazine back in late December (around the time of her 10 Most Fascinating special) in which she stated she's still co-exec producing The View along with being an occasional guest/guest host. So the question is, is that Babs being a bit delusional and/or disingenuous about her current role with the show or does that explain a LOT about why the show is still such a hot mess? Hmmm.....

Good question I'd vote for delusional and/or disingenuous.  But maybe she is vetoing lots of stuff or blocking the removal of the dead weight in production?   I guess I thought  her EP title just that - a title that  comes with a check but little else.    I honestly don't know but even when she was there every damn day I doubt she did any real producing - she left that up to Geddie in my opinion.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 1

According to Roseanne:

Roseanne Barr @therealroseanne 
  ·  43m 43 minutes ago  
I won't b on Th View-I'm expecting 1st granddaughter this fall, so I will b very busy shopping! A #newQueen is coming-preparest ye the way!

4 retweets   58 favorites  

According to Roseanne:

Roseanne Barr @therealroseanne

· 43m 43 minutes ago

I won't b on Th View-I'm expecting 1st granddaughter this fall, so I will b very busy shopping! A #newQueen is coming-preparest ye the way!

4 retweets 58 favorites

I can't believe RoBarr was ever a serious candidate. She is WAY too cray cray, aggressive and unpredictable. If any of them thought RO was challenging to work with she would look like pure zen sunshine and light compared to RB. Also, like the Whoopster, she tried her hand at the talk show thing and failed. I confess, it would be kinda entertaining to watch her rip the others to shreds. That woman has no filter. There'd be nothing left of Nicolle but a gruesome stain on the table.

• Love 10

I confess, it would be kinda entertaining to watch her rip the others to shreds. That woman has no filter. There'd be nothing left of Nicolle but a gruesome stain on the table.

Ha! I like how that sounds.  But yesterday "the rumor" was Kathy Griffin and now some "insider" says it's Rosanne - whom I can't imagine being interested.    And I have to laugh that despite reporting The Spew is looking for "youngyoungyoung" the gossip sites are reporting names of women over 50. 

• Love 4

So Whoopi is "in control of the show" now? I suppose that's why nothing's being done. And I really doubt they'll be hiring Raven if she is, since everyone has said they've clashed. Funny enough, I doubt Whoopi'll be blamed for the ship going down despite being in control, unlike Rosie O'Donnell.

I can believe Rosie Perez has lost the love. We know the "sources" were talking about her and Rosie O'Donnell, while Whoopi and Nicolle were left almost entirely unscathed. It doesn't take much thought to figure out the bad press was coming from the two who weren't being written about. I would have no interest in being friends with anyone in that workplace after that. Even though I feel Rosie O ended up with the roughest deal, I feel sorry for Rosie Perez after all this, just because she spoke on the premiere that she decided to join because they had told her they would be a "team" who supported one another.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4