Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

While I'm glad for Joy that she's getting paid and all that, I was really ready for this show to be done. My hope was that after a disastrous next season, the network would end this garbage and Candace Bure and Whoopi Goldberg and Sherri Shepherd would be off my radar. I'm cheering against improvements to this show.

Edited by marny
  • Love 10
From what has been previously reported, they must have offered Joy a fortune.

She does (and definitely WILL) deserve it!   I hope she made sure her new contract allows her to say/write anything/everything about staff, production, Barbara, and other co-hosts when she retires again.

• Love 4

Had to :)

I LOVE THIS! I can never find these clips when I search, so thanks MatchaLove. I do wonder though, if the real Joy showed up when Fred was on, impersonating her?

They could have had a "So What? Who Cares"-off.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

I LOVE THIS! I can never find these clips when I search, so thanks MatchaLove. I do wonder though, if the real Joy showed up when Fred was on, impersonating her?

They could have had a "So What? Who Cares"-off.

Yes, Joy DID walk up behind Fred Armisen right after that! :)   It's hard not to smile from-ear-to-ear watching that, he is so funny.  One of his best sketches on SNL.

• Love 5

Yes, Joy DID walk up behind Fred Armisen right after that! :)   It's hard not to smile from-ear-to-ear watching that, he is so funny.  One of his best sketches on SNL.

Can you find that clip*? Because the clip you posted ends, before she does.  Thanks!

Because I'm a technoturd.

So is Candace Cameron Bure moving to NYC full time? With her whole family? They just seem deeply rooted in California and with young(ish) children. At the same time, her leaving the family and moving to NYC on her own does not seem likely for her and her family, given the way she describes herself as stepford-wifey 

I'm finding it hard to believe Candace will last past this season, but who knows. Hopefully we can say the same of Raven and Whoopi, too. Anyone else think they're bringing the news anchor in to eventually take over the moderator role in 2016-17?

Someone said it earlier, and I wonder, too, if perhaps they regret hiring Raven or Michelle right now. Michelle in particular made me think they were trying to find a Joy knock-off at the time. Did Ana Navarro guest on this show back in April-June (when I wasn't watching)? I've never seen her on here unlike the other contributors.

• Love 2

Joy's back, so I'm back! This is the first bit of news creating a positive vibe. So...

Don't muck it up View.

Six co-hosts? Ugh. Too many. At the very least, get a bigger table.

• Love 8

FWIW, my guess is that with 6 regular cohosts and another 5 "contributors" that can rotate in as needed, there will be frequent days where one or more regular cohosts are off to do other gigs so there is plenty of backups that can step in. It's almost like a baseball team with a deep bench of people that are "on deck" to step in. Next batter up! This arrangement certainly distinguishes The View from other talk shows!

So Candace B. gets stressed and emotional (a la Hasselbeck) after a tough discussion? No problem, take a couple days off to regroup and the next batter steps in to fill the void!

And if a regular cohost decides mid-season to leave the show for good (hmm...has that ever happened before?!), no problem 'cuz someone is ready to step in.

Maybe ABC is hoping that Whoopie is so unhappy with the new 5 or 6 person table and other changes that she will finally leave the show before new season starts and they can present a really new face for the show - would like to see Joy be moderator!

• Love 7

Maybe ABC is hoping that Whoopie is so unhappy with the new 5 or 6 person table and other changes that she will finally leave the show before new season starts and they can present a really new face for the show - would like to see Joy be moderator!

I was thinking this exact thing...... With 6 "regular" hosts and 5 more contributors..... I wonder if each contributor will get a day.... and the 6 regulars will have a rotating schedule.

It sure will be odd.... Oh... just thought of this... maybe there will be a roving reporter from some where in America.. wouldnt that be fun

• Love 1

I have no worries or concerns about how Joy will be treated when she returns.  She can more than hold her own; plus Whoopi didn't try any of her shit when Joy was a regular and there were times when Bawawa wasn't on that day.  I think Whoopi knows who she can push around and bully and who she can't.

• Love 6

I have no worries or concerns about how Joy will be treated when she returns.  She can more than hold her own; plus Whoopi didn't try any of her shit when Joy was a regular and there were times when Bawawa wasn't on that day.  I think Whoopi knows who she can push around and bully and who she can't.

True.  I've only seen Joy get rattled once or twice, and it was more exasperation than anything else. 

where Joy excels is that she tends to be smart and informed, she doesn't just read a headline and say it's bullshit (Whoopi)   or look up percentages on Wikipedia and rattle off numbers (Rosie P), OR misunderstand the main idea and then try to relate it to herself (Raven).   With Joy, I get the feeling that before the show, she reads news items and has actual, informed opinions. 

• Love 13

True.  I've only seen Joy get rattled once or twice, and it was more exasperation than anything else. 

where Joy excels is that she tends to be smart and informed, she doesn't just read a headline and say it's bullshit (Whoopi)   or look up percentages on Wikipedia and rattle off numbers (Rosie P), OR misunderstand the main idea and then try to relate it to herself (Raven).   With Joy, I get the feeling that before the show, she reads news items and has actual, informed opinions. 

Yep. And didn't she used to be a teacher? That's also where her smarts come from.

Yeah, the only time I saw her "lose" it was when both she and ironically, Whoopi, walked off the set when they, along with Bawawa, were interviewing that asswipe Bill O'Reilly.

• Love 5

I find Ana Navarro completely unimpressive when she's appeared on this show and the Sunday talk shows. Glib and smart-alecky, not a deep thinker, she just recites the talking points, and her resume is pretty thin. I look forward to Joy calling her on her bullshit.

What makes the Armisen bit so funny was that in comparison, Kristen Wiig's Bitsy was psycho. Plus Joy got such a kick out of Armisen.

• Love 5

I was thinking this exact thing...... With 6 "regular" hosts and 5 more contributors..... I wonder if each contributor will get a day.... and the 6 regulars will have a rotating schedule.

I like table discussions with 4 people best; 5 or 6 and you get way too much crosstalk. I think next season we will see cohosts taking more time off (like whoppi gone a few days for a movie, Michelle taking a long weekend so she can take weekend stand up gigs, Candace needing an extra day off here or there for her other TV show, etc) so they can just go to the bullpen and "NEXT BATTER UP!" they will have one of the "in the wings" contributors step in to fill the chair. But designated days is an interesting idea:

Must have Monday with Molly (continued selling of products)

Tasty Tuesday with Padma (recipes, etc)

Wacky Wednesday with Sherri (stupid skits)

Topical Thursday with Ana N. (Political with a strong Republican slant)

Fashion Friday with Stacey

• Love 1

Must have Monday with Molly (continued selling of products)

Wacky Wednesday with Sherri (stupid skits)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! ! ! !

Yep. And didn't she used to be a teacher? That's also where her smarts come from.

I'd like to add that she was born with a high IQ...had parents who valued education, entertainment, and family--and taught her many life lessons.  She got a good education and continued to be interested in what's going on around her--and in the world (to this day)   It's unusual that TPTB would even allow her to entertain us...and educate us.

• Love 9

Unfortunately, Joy's return does nothing to get rid of the other reasons I hated watching.

I'm thinking I'll join y'all who don't watch but still come here to the message board.  There are a few TV celebrities I'd watch for - ones from the fall shows we like returning.

• Love 3

Yay for the shout-out for teachers. Yes, you have to be smart and also it requires someone who can "work a room." (I add the cheer for teachers because they seem to be a target these days...they even did a "focus group" on Fox and Friends this am, aka "Let's dump on teachers because there are some bad apples and the evil unions protect them therefore all teachers suck unless they are in a charter school which are all great.")

I like Joy because she's a woman who came of age when choices were limited and she trained for a career. Plus she can attest to what it was like to be a woman before the women's movement (hint: it sucked), a point that was frequently lost on Bitsy and Sherri. And she went into comedy in her 40s - ballsy as hell.

• Love 12

Unfortunately, Joy's return does nothing to get rid of the other reasons I hated watching.

Yes, it seems like there are a lot of very high expectations for Joy's return; too high for any one person to save this shitshow in my opinion.  I wish her luck but even changing 3/4ths of the co-hosts last year didn't work out so I wouldn't get my hopes up. 

As far a the crowd of new hires - the contributors don't have contracts - the guess that they will never all be there at the same time sounds right to me.  And I would be shocked if Whoopi started showing up five days a week.  Unfortunately for me, she does have a pay or play contract.  That's what last year was about. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

Surely they have some sort of contract.

Yes....it was reported that Sherri was under contract for 50 shows. About 49 too many, imo.

Okay.  Then I'm sure that she would be paid, per show.  Compared to her last contract that was by the season, usually multiple seasons (years) for X amount per year no matter what.  No matter if they take time off to do a movie for fake a back injury or whatever - they get paid.   But fifty days is a far cry from three years or whatever Sherri's last contract said.   They even only gave Nicolle and Rosie P a one year season deal.   I remember years ago when RO first stepped in she had to insist on a single year contract - I think multiple years was the norm, at least for Bits, LOL.  

• Love 1

Six co-hosts? Ugh. Too many. At the very least, get a bigger table.

It'll have to be extra-big to make sure Whoopi's throne is larger than everyone else's chair, naturally.

I completely understand what people are saying about one good panelist not being able to make up for the others, but I guess I'm remembering the seven years where I watched only for Joy and know that I can endure (snark) about the things I don't like as long as there's at least one bright spot. I couldn't stand Sherri/Elisabeth and was ambivalent to Whoopi for all those years--not being able to stand Whoopi/Raven/Candace and being ambivalent to Michelle doesn't seem to be a big difference.

Still, having Padma on the main panel with Joy would've been better. Who knows? Maybe she'll end up as a co-host eventually with the rate they've gone through people.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

Ya know when I retired 6 yrs ago the thing to do was sit back and watch the View.

So I did.

And was repulsed by Bits and Sherri and the ensuing antics.  But in the spirit of slowing down for a train wreck, I just kept watching.

And this forum (under another name) was the life saver and the humor and brains the show almost never provided.

The last 3(?) maybe 4 years have been almost unbearable.  Joy was, quite literally the only bright spot, and even she would sometimes just "let it go".  It seemed so futile.

What I find absolutely astounding is that TPTB have let this crap continue thru all these years!

What is even more astounding is the absolute lack of any sort of idea as to what the show should be and the complete lack - seemingly - of a course correction!

No idea what they want to do, who they think the audience is and what image they want to project.

TPTB are making millions and this is what they put on the air?????

I totally agree that Joy alone cannot save the show - what she can do is show that adult women are not the stupidest creatures this side of Donald T.  If that is the audience they want, then they will sink along with that disgusting wig - ya' I know, say what you REALLY think!

The Don is not stupid of course, he is shrewd and a bully, but not stupid - but he will never be president, just as The View will never be on top again.

That rant over, I applaud Joy's return, when I get back from Greece I will tune in, but I doubt that the show will course correct.

• Love 7

After Meredith left Joy was the only reason I kept watching.  I enjoyed Rosie O the first time around but it was always Joy who kept me tuning in.  And when she left I left. 

It wasn't that we share the same politics that make me like her it was that she is what was once called a dame.  A woman who is smart, speaks her mind and doesn't take shit from anyone all the while doing it with class and style.

If I could stomach Whoopi I would tune in again but all it would take would be for Whoopi to defend or apologize for a celebrity and I would tune out again.  And also one glimpse of Sherri and I would hit delete.  I always disliked her because of how she would play touchy feely with the male guests right after sitting at the table during hot topics and shooting her mouth off about "as a Christian" garbage.  But this whole court battle to disavow a child she had brought into this world makes me absolutely loathe her.  She in now on my list of celebs I will never watch again.  For the record Bill Cosby and Mel Gibson are on that list too.

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 10

I sort of have to believe that Joy is going to be full-time or else why would they need so many right-wingish wackadoos?

My disdain for Navarro falls just short of my disdain for Bure.  I think Sherri will be supporting Hillary despite her foolishness because she was leaning her way before Obama made his splash because - WOMAN!

• Love 1

With Jon Stewart gone, and The Colbert Report no more, I'm ecstatic that Joy is back during the election year, because no way, No FUCKING way, will she keep quiet and let the others spew their craziness.  I need some sanity.

The lure of Candace and Raven trying to debate Joy on well, just about anything might be enough to make me watch.  The last few years she was there with Elisabeth I wholeheartedly believe she was gagged.  Geddie didn't want his pet verbally annihilated but I cannot see Joy holding back now. 

• Love 8

Here is a good example (among hundreds) of Joy swooping in and intelligently shutting down the crazy (at about the 5:00m mark).  I saw another piece months ago where Joy was sitting in a different spot right beside Hasselbeck and she was totally eating Hasselbeck alive, waving her off with both "come ahn" and "enough," and Hasslebeck never stopped speaking for one second as most of the panel were asking her to shut it.  I'm really disturbed by her.  Anyway, back to Joy :)

• Love 1

Thanks for posting the link, Vinyhasa.  "Whoopi & Her Sidekicks"  was from this forum wasn't it, or maybe it was "Whoopi & the Whoopsters" someone came up with here. LOL.

And like someone else suggested, this should be Whoopi's last year, making way for Joy as moderator, if they can keep the show alive for one more year.

Guess even with all the layoffs/firings at The View, the tipster(s) is still there.

• Love 4

Yeah, the same drama will be going on until Whoopi is booted out the door. I'm still convinced she played a big role in the media attention last year, considering both the Rosie's were talked about almost nonstop until O'Donnell left. Why is this show always in UK news anyway?

The good thing is Joy won't care about headlines and the execs don't care about Whoopi anymore either if they doing what they want regardless. Besides, it's just a waiting game until Whoopi's contract finally expires. Whoopi always acts as if she'd be glad to be done with this show, but it's clear she loves the easy money more if she's always being such a diva about every f-ing thing. I'm sure she would be shocked if they'd dare not to renew WHOOPI GOLDBERG's contract!

• Love 5

So it seems Whoopi isn't as powerful as she once was.  Maybe ABC has finally had enough of her diva behavior. 

And Sherri is lead contributor?  And the difference between her and the other contributors is what exactly?

• Love 5

I'm no tv business executive but at what point do you watch your show ruin year after year because of one person and decide enough is enough? Wouldn't Whoopi's 5 million dollars a year be replaced by better ratings and more money if she was gone? She said again in the article she can't wait to leave the "shithole" so she just makes for a miserable moderator and a crap show. We've been saying all along she is ruining the show and they can't solve it? Wtf? Hopefully, this is a huge step to getting rid of her giant presence and I'll bet she was pissed off to see Joy is going to get to sit in her throne. Whoopi has nerve though because she thinks this is her show. Now, Joy just really has to bring it with balls and brains. Also, with all the other contributors, Whoopi is becoming less important. Maybe she's stewing, lol!

• Love 14

Ha! Those Whoopi favoring show runners sure love to run to the Daily Mail, don't they?

I loooooove that Behar got the Friday moderator seat behind Whoopi's back.  Make Sparks! ladies!

Oh and the article refers to Sherri as lead contributor not the lead contributor.

• Love 3

So glad to hear TPTB are not kissing Whoopi's ass and have stopped treating her as Queen of All She Surveys. I'd like to think it's because of all the problems we've talked about here and TWoP forever (sleeping through the shows, defending rape, defending rapists, defending racists, not letting anyone else talk, talking about saggy boobs and bodily functions ad nauseum, treating hosts and guests with disdain, dressing like a bag lady, etc.), but my gut feeling is that it's a combination of plummeting ratings and the viral fallout of her defending Cosby, facts be damned.

I pray she is contained or else gets pissed off enough to leave.  Because she may be a nice person in real life, but she's toxic to this show.

• Love 11

Nice bitchy article….dishing the dirt.  Not that any of it is surprising.  Whoopi is such an attention whore that everyone she championed for the job(s) were completely passive or benign, or "her friend" Stacy London.  It's not about what would create a great panel and a compelling show, it's who could Whoopi dominate and pontificate to without much push-back or higher points of reference.   The PTB have made it clear to Joy that she is golden, so she'll be even more encouraged.  Ms. Behar is going to kick Whoopi's absurdness (is that a word?) to the curb and I sincerely look forward to it.  :) 

It's funny, we're all totally "fan-girling" on Joy, lol.  

• Love 11

Whoops was hired to boost ratings (everyone loves Whoopi) and to draw her big name friends as guests. Her time on the View revealed 1) she isn't the intelligent, articulate, fun loving person she was perceived to be and 2) even she can't talk her big name friends into coming on this crappy show. Big fail.

I just realized spell check changed the first word from Whoopi to whoops. Lol. I think I'll leave it.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8

Well the changes seem to be all positive so far. Well, going live five days/not doing whatever Whoopi wants, rotating co-hosts etc.

We all thought that things were on track last season at this time so hopefully this will actually do the trick!

• Love 3