Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: On the Same Paige

Phil learns that his real estate class will be cancelled if any additional students drop it. Jay may unknowingly be flirting with the mother of Joe’s classmate and tries to set boundaries.

Airdate: October 31, 2018

A good ol' episode of Modern Family farce! I hope it's not the last one of the series. The Dunphy one was very good. The Jay and Gloria one was pretty good. It's really at its best when everyone is involved though. I liked Phil's renewed confidence at the end. "He loved magic"

Who wouldn't want to visit a club with employees named Sharona and Iweemewi??

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

Who wouldn't want to visit a club with employees named Sharona and Iweemewi??

That cracked me up - "You might want to tell Sharona to steer clear of the table." And I thought for sure Cam was going to go West Side Story with the name Maria.

• Love 14

I just heard Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard the other day, so that tickled me. Loved all of the musically named employees, I admit, I would be tempted to at least hum along to a few of those songs if I met people named Maria, Sharona, Julio, and Iweemewi all in one day. 

The wacky farce at home was classic modern family, and it actually ended in a way that I didnt expect! "Her real estate agent dad left when she was 12. He dabbled in magic. Her last two boyfriends were over 50s."

Wow, we actually saw Lilly cheering and smiling and being sweet this week! It was weirdo to see her doing something other than being sullen and mean to everyone. 

• Love 13

Why would beekeepers use flyswatters?

The Paige/Phil/Luke/Claire scenes were very funny, but I didn’t like the twist. I liked the RE/magician joke after, but didn’t find Paige’s behavior consistent. The actress is very good, but I guess I wish the writers or director had polished up those scenes more. 

“Randy’s rash is really gross.” Hee!

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 4

I must be a Mitch. I hated it. Every scene was cringe inducing for me. Unsuspecting real estate students being mauled, loud massage noises, minute examination of females' (but not males') intentions, whose-date-is-in-the-kitchen -- ugh. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I did like how Gloria was totally relaxed about Jay's realtionship with the other mom at school. That was spectacularly sane. I usually find Goria to be a bit too much, but I liked her pretty much all through this episode.

Same here - I loathe jealous spouse storylines so I liked that she was so nonchalant about the whole situation. It's fine to be friends with people of the opposite sex!

• Love 17

I can't stand how Cam is always guilting Mitch into doing things he doesn't like or is not interested in, turning the tables when he is doing annoying things to make it seem like Mitch is the one being crazy.  He is one of the most selfish characters in the history of TV

• Love 15
58 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't stand how Cam is always guilting Mitch into doing things he doesn't like or is not interested in, turning the tables when he is doing annoying things to make it seem like Mitch is the one being crazy.  He is one of the most selfish characters in the history of TV

Especially when he knows it will backfire every time or make it so he isn't the center of attention. You think about 10 years he get a clue.

• Love 5

Pretty sure cancelling a class midterm because too many students drop is not a thing. For example, it's tremendously unfair to the remaining students in the class. Classes do get cancelled before starting if not enough students sign up, but that's a very different situation. </reality>

I felt like a couple of rejected Frasier scripts were the basis of this episode, though without the artistry of escalating farce that Frasier could pull off.  It was weird how the Jay/Gloria misunderstanding was resolved immediately after setting it up, though I agree with the above comments that it's refreshing that Gloria is just not worried about Jay cheating on her.

They milked the Dunphy misunderstanding longer, but then took an odd turn. I am uncomfortable with how Phil was "vindicated" in what should have been an embarrassing moment for him. The writers like Phil, I guess. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Agreed. But to some money can be an aphrodisiac. 

My thing with Phil is this:  He had his chance at being divorced and footloose.  He met Gloria and had a firm "No Kids" rule.  Fine, he bent it for Manny.  So why the hell did he not get a vasectomy?  And more importantly, why do I care?

He is nearing 70 and will never be kid free.  Again, why do I care?

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loathe jealous spouse storylines

Me too - in real life I would assume my hubby would shut that stuff down before there was a reason to be concerned.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

My thing with Phil is this:  He had his chance at being divorced and footloose.  He met Gloria and had a firm "No Kids" rule.  Fine, he bent it for Manny.  So why the hell did he not get a vasectomy?  And more importantly, why do I care?

This is Jay, not Phil.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

The way that Phil over-emphasized that one student to keep her in his class led me to think that the other 17 were going to drop the class due to being made to feel inferior in their work and efforts.  

Hee!

I cannot imagine Phil being so curt with Serge (reprimanding him about the Serge show). Phil is a nice guy.

I usually don’t like Claire, but I thought she was very cool in this episode.

• Love 6

Oh, another thing that kind of bothered me about this episode was that there was huge hype about a character dying that would impact all of the others.  So, last week DeeDee died, and this week-nothing.  It bothers me when sitcoms have "a very special episode" because usually that very special episode has no follow-up.  There should have been some comments/events that connected back to DeeDee's death, but nada.  I guess it wasn't such a life-changing event after all.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Cousin Oliver is on the phone with your (meta)explanation. :-)

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

Pretty sure cancelling a class midterm because too many students drop is not a thing. For example, it's tremendously unfair to the remaining students in the class. Classes do get cancelled before starting if not enough students sign up, but that's a very different situation. </reality>

How about that community college having a fraternity? </reality>

• Love 4

As I was watching the show, I was struck by how many school shows on TV seem to have a rather professional look.  In this case, they had some fancy bee costumes and a harness to dangle from the rafters.

I'm genuinely curious: Is this typical of US schools or just fancy for TV?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

Not mid way through the semester you can't. There are also set terms of when you can drop a class in either community or 4 year colleges usually up to 3 weeks at max. Now, can a student lose all credits for a semester course or even a year if they are found to be cheating or say having a relationship with a professor who is also their teacher. Oh yes! In no time flat. Plus, if these other kids thought about dropping out of a class because they felt ONE student was being favored more than another. I would have liked to know where they went to high school at? Because really, GROW UP!

10 hours ago, AEMom said:

As I was watching the show, I was struck by how many school shows on TV seem to have a rather professional look.  In this case, they had some fancy bee costumes and a harness to dangle from the rafters.

I'm genuinely curious: Is this typical of US schools or just fancy for TV?

Fancy for TV

Or maybe in the fancy rich schools and area where these people live its common.  But that's just TV fantasy as well.  We've seen many times none of these families live in the real world financially

Like the fact PHIL OWNS A MAGIC STORE we have only seen him in once. 

• Love 10

Mixed feelings. I like well-done MF farce, and this was close, but during a lot of it I cringed. The best part was the twist at the end with Paige actually liking Phil. The issue was the silly premise for Phil actually encouraging it just long enough to keep his class. Really? A married 50yo man encourages a 20ish student just so he can keep his class? In the Me, Too era no less? That would never end well.

While I admire Cam for being who he is, I don't think I would be able to stand him IRL. Being unabashedly you is OK, but doing it when you know that others you like have issues with it is annoying. So you make noises during a msaaage - fine. Then let Mitch have his own room. Shouldn't be an issue. Yet somehow it is.

As for Jay, it's irrelevant how attractive he is. People like other people for all sorts of reasons, and to some, he is attractive, too! The more important point is that to most, Gloria is a 10/10, that they seem to have a great relationship (a bit inexplicable, as I am not sure what Jay offers Gloria beyond security and perhaps citizenship, but the show has never cared much about that), and Jay would be insane to risk that - and Gloria knows it. At the end, they head up to the bedroom, so yeah, he's living the dream. That other woman was attractive, but no reason to roam.

• Love 6

It was weird how the Jay/Gloria misunderstanding was resolved immediately after setting it up, though I agree with the above comments that it's refreshing that Gloria is just not worried about Jay cheating on her.

I was glad they didn't stretch this story line out. Making the misunderstanding last is one of the reasons that I generally don't like TV comedies. I gave up on "I Love Lucy" and "The Three Stooges" reruns when I was maybe nine years old because they were too dumb. That said, I chuckled at the slapstick-ish scene of Cam pulling off Mitchell's pants. I can't explain that.

• Love 3
On 11/1/2018 at 7:32 AM, Latverian Diplomat said:

I agree with the above comments that it's refreshing that Gloria is just not worried about Jay cheating on her.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:09 AM, MaryHedwig said:

Agreed. But to some money can be an aphrodisiac. 

And this remind me of how clever the writing was in the early years.  Go back in time with me to when Jay and Gloria were first married, and Manny was a little kid.

They are headed out to a soccer game.  Gloria is dressed to the nines, high heels and everything.  But since it is a Saturday Jay is wearing a comfortable shirt and sweat pants.

Jay:  How come you look like that, and I look like this?

Manny:  My friends say it's because of your money

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Back when the kids were still cute and the writing sharp.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 6