Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: A Volatile Mixture

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Casey helps a reporter uncover the truth behind a trailer park fire; Boden attempts to make peace with Grissom; Hermann, Otis and Kidd take action when Molly's receives a bad Yelp review; Severide reaches out to his father for a favor.

While Casey works alongside a journalist, he conducts an investigation into the cause of the trailer park fire; Boden reaches his breaking point; Mouch, Herrmann and Cruz try to determine why Molly fails to meet expectations.

27 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Could this possibly be a love interest for Casey? 

First thing I thought!

Hubby had just brought us ice cream right when that lady had the moving crawly thing in her face.................EWWWW...............hubby got my ice cream too!!  I was retching and he was laughing as he reached for my bowl!

• Love 1

In the locker room, when Kelly left and Stella stood there, she stared straight then peeked to her left as if some one distracted her while filming.

1 hour ago, Reality police said:

Could this possibly be a love interest for Casey? 

It would be true Matt to tell her he is still married if she had made a move on him. She is pretty. She will need to find more stories to include Matt in order to get his attention.

Gorsh looked really scared of Boden in the last scene. Should he be ashamed to admit he was not cut out to be a firefighter/Boden was right in his assessment and be in a command position?

I was hoping we got to see Stella's stalker/ best friend tonight.

Cruz mentions he is seeing Chloe but we can't see them together!?

Grissom leaves through the back door. It would be cool if he has a fire pole to slide down in his office to get to the parking lot.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2

Boden is a strong stand up dude, my favorite character on the show. I guess we have Matt's new love interest. And maybe i'm wrong but I was picking up a vibe of something possibly happening between Brett and her new partner.

• Love 3

I really hope Grissom's twerpy little spy gets his ass handed to him at some point.  He'd probably be dead now if Boden hadn't written that performance review.

Kelly's dad seemed teary eyed when Kelly left.  Something wasn't quite right with him.

• Love 4

Yeah, Chief Boden is my favorite character too. Eamonn Walker has such charisma (loved him since “Oz”). I want him to crush Gorsh like the cockroach he is. I look forward to the epic face-off with Grissom. BTW, what is up with Grissom? Is he a racist?

Two episodes in a row with water being applied to a fire.  OMG.

Hey Mouch, or Hermann.  Since Ritter is your protege', it might have been a good idea to warn him about some of the station politics so's he wouldn't eat it in front of Chief Asshat. 

While Boden does a great job of standing up for his station and personnel, I have to go with Gorsch on his directive about helping the reporter.  The standard reply should be "Let me refer you to our investigators to answer that question."  As it is, Casey is quoted as a CFD Captain, and thus puts the department on the hook in any kind of civil action.  Grandberg's attorneys would eat him alive on the stand. 

I thought at first that the Molly's reviewer would be the guy that Hermann just kicked off the engine.  He was right about one thing, though.  It seems like the only regular clientele is the off duty crew from 51, being their usual boring selves. 

I would have laughed myself silly if Casey's little explosive experiment went awry and the refrigerator skittered across the bay floor, coming to rest under and igniting one of the apparatus. 

Note to Emily.  You can't be gay and work on the Station 51 Ambulance.  You will die.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

While Boden does a great job of standing up for his station and personnel, I have to go with Gorsch on his directive about helping the reporter.  The standard reply should be "Let me refer you to our investigators to answer that question."  As it is, Casey is quoted as a CFD Captain, and thus puts the department on the hook in any kind of civil action.  Grandberg's attorneys would eat him alive on the stand. 

ITA. Casey has bit off more than he can chew with this one. His potential new squeeze, quoted him in her article. Just the fodder that Gorsch/Grissom need to further harrass Boden.  This will not end well.

• Love 2

She is writing an investigative piece and then pitching it to publications? The CFd  probably wouldn't talk to her and Casey for sure shouldn’t be talking to her. 

This show. I don’t know how Eamon Walker can say his lines any more without laughing. 

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 3

I don't know if that reporter will end up dating or having a flirty relationship with Matt but I wouldn't be surprised. He seems to have a time and her personality fits it. 

So Emily is pansexual. Cool.

Gorsch is trash, as is Grissom, but I'm really enjoying the work EW is doing with Boden in this story so far. 

13 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Hey Mouch, or Hermann.  Since Ritter is your protege', it might have been a good idea to warn him about some of the station politics so's he wouldn't eat it in front of Chief Asshat

When Hermann was giving the speech to Gorsch about "if it wasn't for Ritter, that lady would have died!"  1.  She did die and 2.  Ritter made made a hole in the wall, which anyone on the crew could have done, but Casey is the one who went in and got her. 

13 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

While Boden does a great job of standing up for his station and personnel, I have to go with Gorsch on his directive about helping the reporter.  The standard reply should be "Let me refer you to our investigators to answer that question."

Unfortunately, the greatest investigator ever, is in Puerto Rico saving the world!!  However, I thought Severide was the one that consulted on investigations?  I guess Casey was only involved so a potential love interest could be introduced.  

The whole yelp thing was ridiculous.  A frequent patron gives Molly's one star because it's getting too crowded?  Come on!  The only time that place is "crowded" is when they are doing a fundraiser, etc.  

I noticed Benny tearing up at the end.  I wonder what's going on with him?  Maybe he's dying...

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 1

BTW, what is up with Grissom? Is he a racist?

Boden threw his hat in the ring for the commissioner job himself but it went to Grissom. Then he found out Grissom lied about his record and tried get him impeached, or however that works. That's why Grissom has it out for him.

That said, I am beyond tired of this plot point. The lazy ass writers drag it out every damn season - someone in upper management is always out to get Boden and/or 51. God - can't they come up with anything new?

It sure took them a long time to get into that burning trailer. I've seen them bore through solid rock quicker than it took them to pry open what is essentially little more than tinfoil. My 98-year old grandma could kick open the door to one of those places.

I would have laughed myself silly if Casey's little explosive experiment went awry and the refrigerator skittered across the bay floor, coming to rest under and igniting one of the apparatus. 

I don't know where this was supposed to be taking place, but why the hell were people just standing around without any protective gear whatsoever? There were some extras in the background, and Casey and the reporter were maybe - what - 10-15 feet in front of the damn thing? How very fortunate that all it did was emit a jetstream of fire in an eastward direction where nobody was standing. The whole fridge could have gone ka-blooey and lacerated everyone within walking distance with shrapnel. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

That said, I am beyond tired of this plot point. The lazy ass writers drag it out every damn season - someone in upper management is always out to get Boden and/or 51. God - can't they come up with anything new?

Honestly, if anyone was in big trouble at least once every year for seven years running, wouldn't you start to think that person was the problem, or at least a good part of it?  Such a tired, tired plot line.  First episode I've watched this season, and likely the last.  Same ol', same ol'.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I noticed Benny tearing up at the end.  I wonder what's going on with him?  Maybe he's dying...

He's only dying inside.

He could be on his sailboat with his beautiful daughters and lovely ex-wife at Chesapeake Shores and instead he has to talk to this idiot on a cold Chicago night.

It's enough to make a stone weep.

I thought this was an okay episode. 

I don't understand the write up about Ritter's bunker pants, he was getting the air thing before he forgot. Or was Gourch just an asshole? 

I did think in real life Casey would not be doing this investigation but I would think CFD would have made sure the trailer was not removed while they investigated. 

I did not want to watch the lady at O'Hare as I breezed through that. 

The yelp reviewer was so dumb. 

I think Ritter dies next week. 

2 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I don't understand the write up about Ritter's bunker pants, he was getting the air thing before he forgot. Or was Gourch just an asshole?

Both.  Apparently they have a policy that no fire gear is to be left on the apparatus floor.  It should have gone back on the truck, probably so the firefighter can find it in the case of another call.  Was it worth a write up? There's your second question.

8 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Both.  Apparently they have a policy that no fire gear is to be left on the apparatus floor.  It should have gone back on the truck, probably so the firefighter can find it in the case of another call.  Was it worth a write up? There's your second question.

Okay, thank you. Herrman could have told him, after you put the bunker pants back in the truck, you can get the air bottle I asked you for. 

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It sure took them a long time to get into that burning trailer. I've seen them bore through solid rock quicker than it took them to pry open what is essentially little more than tinfoil. My 98-year old grandma could kick open the door to one of those places.

The problem Granny would face would be a flashover. As was explained, if you give fire a breath of oxygen, the smoke and combustible gasses will essentially cause a controllable, survivable fire to become an unsurvivable inferno in less than ten seconds. Since they had water, though, I don't see why they didn't use the door and lead with the hand line, fogging the ceiling to cool it down, with another member of the crew stationed at the door to keep it as close to closed as possible (with the hose still inside). Also the roof was already compromised so the risk of a flashover would have already be minimized. 

The danger is always when some yahoo opens a door without having water at the ready, and that wasn't the case this time. All in all, a good job, and congrats to the actors for making it look good. I really did like the idea of a small hole, pop the line through and hit it that way.

And yeah, Casey would be in a multiverse of hurt for allowing himself to be quoted.

• Love 4

The yelp review story -  it's ONE review. it's a ridiculous assumption that the bar could go broke because of a solitary bad review.   All they had to do is have the rest of the firefighters, anyone who is not an owner, write GOOD reviews to counterbalance the bad one.  And the way to reply to a bad review is to be positive, like "sorry your visit didn't live up to expectations.  Stop by again on a Wednesday when we have the following specials..."   so anyone reading the review gets a positive feeling for the place, and sees the reviewer as a grouch.   

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Yes, Gorsch is just being a pain for the sake of being annoying.  That definitely did not seem like the sort of thing that deserved a write-up, counseling the new guy not to do it again sure but not giving him a formal write-up.

Surely they must be nearing the end of this arc.  Boden has now directly confronted Gorsch and done the try and talk to the higher ups and be left waiting thing, and Severide has gone to make a deal with the devil aka Benny.  Can't be more than an episode or two before it all comes to a head, right?

Really, after everything Otis has done in the past trying to improve Molly's he doesn't know to check online reviews?  I believe Herrmann not knowing about Yelp, but not Otis.  Plus, one disgruntled review would not cause that many issues.  Get some of your friends and regulars to post good reviews and push it off the top of the page.

I laughed when the reporter showed up and said she needed Matt's help because he was the only one who could stop people from dying.  Sounded like a St. Gabby sort of line.  Then she talks about being a reporter and not caring if she annoys people because she wants to help and I found myself going Run Matt Run.  Of course she is going to be a love interest, because what other type of woman would Matt be attracted to.  And of course he's so smitten he lets her quote him by name making some pretty inflammatory statements about the trailer manufacturer.  I hope it comes back to bite him.  I understand wanting to save lives, but couldn't they post the video of the stove exploding and write an article warning trailer owners to check if they have this type of fridge without calling the manufacturers possible murderers?

I didn't understand how the company was able to just take the trailer.  How long after the fire was it?  Had the CFD already made an official ruling that it was just a kitchen fire?  I would think anytime someone dies in a fire there would be some sort of investigation.  What if the woman's relatives decide to sue the department because they think 51 could have done a better job getting her out of there?  Nobody else in the CFD or CPD talked to any of the neighbors and found it odd they mentioned an explosion sound before the fire?

• Love 5

I'll be happy when they move on from the repeat "Come after Firehouse 51" storyline. This is the fourth or fifth time that someone has been gunning for 51. Newsflash to writers: this is getting old. What's it going to be next year? The mayor of Chicago is going to be gunning for 51. There's so much more that can be focused on. Firefighters deal with politics, but not on a yearly basis like it seems with this show. Focus on the fires. Focus on the ensemble cast. 

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 4

Severide's a dick.  He wants a favour from his dad, but doesn't even have the grace to be civil to him?

On 10/24/2018 at 8:31 PM, SuzieQ said:

Kelly's dad seemed teary eyed when Kelly left.  Something wasn't quite right with him.

I'm calling a "Severide's dad is dying of cancer" storyline.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2

I used to be a reporter for a small-ish publication, as this woman seemed to be...and I sure never got groundbreaking investigative articles to do, which immediately got picked up by the NYT even before completion...

I also never got city officials of any capacity volunteering to put their necks out for the sake of an article (on any specific beat, you have to work hard at cultivating relationships and getting people to trust you...because there are literally NO Caseys who will jeopardize their careers simply because you're cute and asked them nicely.)

• Love 6
On 02/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, SnarkySheep said:

I used to be a reporter for a small-ish publication, as this woman seemed to be...and I sure never got groundbreaking investigative articles to do, which immediately got picked up by the NYT even before completion...

I also never got city officials of any capacity volunteering to put their necks out for the sake of an article (on any specific beat, you have to work hard at cultivating relationships and getting people to trust you...because there are literally NO Caseys who will jeopardize their careers simply because you're cute and asked them nicely.)

You experienced the reality of things but don't forget this is 'Chicago Fire land' where the writers can magic up anything!

• Love 2