Type keyword(s) to search

Glass (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

So I went tonight and I liked the movie. I know the critics don't like it, but I'd already made my mind up I was going to see it, and I generally watch what I want-in spite of, or because of, critics. I think maybe M Night is hated around here since there's no topic for this movie. He's made some weird movies and some bad ones, but who hasn't ? And the thing I guess I do like about him, is that he takes risks and he makes the film HE wants to make.

He doesn't pander to people, and I gotta respect that. Actually, I like that aspect a lot. It's one reason I will watch his stuff-that, and the fact that I think he is unfairly bashed a lot online. I root for the underdog, what can I say ?

I will probably see it again. It wasn't great, but from one to ten, I'd give it a solid seven.  It's not better than Split, and I've actually never seen Unbreakable-but I enjoyed Glass and I was never bored. I'm not sure what the critics were expecting. I mean, most of them eat up Marvel and DC crap movies that don't have half the soul or character this movie had. A definite difference of opinion about what makes a movie watchable. If critics-or anyone out there-were expecting it to be some epic superhero movie-no. It's not. There are no great CGI effects-unless McAvoy's hulking out as the Beast counts (and some of it is really him, you can see from his arms through his shirts when he isn't the beast, that he bulked up for this movie on his own). 

Tone wise, what the movie reminds me of, is the old TV show Heroes, back when it was good. It's dark, but hopeful. It has a running theme of the power of belief in yourself, and if that's not a message the world needs, I don't know what is. It also reminded me a bit of the movie "Watchmen" (another super hero movie ) in terms of having superheroes living among ordinary people.  

It's worth watching if you like any of the three leads-Willis, Jackson, or McAvoy. Or if you liked either of the prior two films, or if you just like that concept: what if ordinary people were actually extraordinary? I know there has been a lot of blather about people are going to love the ending or hate it. I actually loved the ending, and I don't think it could have ended any other way. Truthfully....it isn't out of nowhere. The ending follows the tone of the movie, IMO.  It's both bleak and uplifting at the same time. And I've also read that people say there are "multiple" twists that come from out of nowhere, but that's not true.

One twist, that 

Spoiler

Mr Glass is responsible for Kevin's father's death because Kevin's father was on the train that crashed in Unbreakable

was actually hinted at in Split, so it wasn't a shock to me. The other, that 

Spoiler

Ellie Staple, the psychiatrist, is the real "villain", is kind of obvious if you've ever seen any superhero type movie, ever. I mean, put her name together. In the middle, you get "lies". Again, not a shock.

And the final twist, that 

Spoiler

Mr.Glass's "real" plan is not the "big showdown" between the beast and David, is hinted at as well.

So the idea that these all came out of nowhere and made no sense is not true.

I do have my issues with Casey feeling that connection to Kevin, but I understand it and it is the best part of  the movie, honestly. McAvoy didn't make me cry this time, but I came close. And let's be real: he's the reason to see the movie, and his performance is why I'll watch it again. 

The good: there is an ominous tension, a sense of foreboding, throughout the movie. You are constantly waiting and watching for what you know is coming.  Strong performances from McAvoy and Jackson in particular, and Anya Joy Taylor. Great chemistry among the cast. McAvoy is a joy to watch, really. I can't think of too many other actors, if any, that can make me feel sorry for a flesh eating monster.

The bad: The script could have been tighter. I was never bored, but I can see where some might be, if you are expecting a lot of action, you aren't going to get it. It's a "thinking" super hero movie, although there is a pretty good fight with The Beast and David Dunn in the beginning.  Some may think the ending is bad: again I think the ending fit the tone and couldn't have, and shouldn't have, ended any other way. 

The really bad: some people die, and it may not be who you expect. I'm not spoiling who.

So, I recommend it if you like the type of movie, and/or the actors, or even if you're just curious about it. It's worth a watch, and it beats by far the last two movies I sat through at the cinema.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Colorado David said:
  Hide contents

I think  I missed this, what caused the power outage to Mr G could scoot around unnoticed? Did he somehow cut the power?

Spoiler

He mentioned that the nurse's car back-firing caused some type of gas to be emitted, but I'm not sure how that caused the blackout.

I liked the movie.  I was in a Cinemark XD showing, and the sounds of bone breaking was brutal. 

The movie had funny and sad moments, with Hedwig having the most humorous moments. 

Spoiler

What was with the random sadistic nurse?  I was flinching when he threatened to drop the flashlight.  I didn't feel sorry for his death.

Seeing this movie makes me want to rewatch Unbreakable.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peridot said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He mentioned that the nurse's car back-firing caused some type of gas to be emitted, but I'm not sure how that caused the blackout.

I liked the movie.  I was in a Cinemark XD showing, and the sounds of bone breaking was brutal. 

The movie had funny and sad moments, with Hedwig having the most humorous moments. 

Reveal hidden contents

What was with the random sadistic nurse?  I was flinching when he threatened to drop the flashlight.  I didn't feel sorry for his death.

Seeing this movie makes me want to rewatch Unbreakable.

enjoyed it. Split was better IMO, but this did fine in the time allotted to get all the character stories in line. Kinda saw that twist coming, but eh it's fine anymore, surprises are hard to find in movies.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

So I went tonight and I liked the movie. I know the critics don't like it, but I'd already made my mind up I was going to see it, and I generally watch what I want-in spite of, or because of, critics. I think maybe M Night is hated around here since there's no topic for this movie.

There was a topic for the movie. It was farther down the page:

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/74878-glass-2019

Movie's out, I think we can stop spoiler-tagging.

It was fairly obvious that Ellie was attempting to gaslight Kevin, David and Elijah, but I didn't see that she was part of some grand conspiracy on behalf of the 'normals'.

Here's the thing, though: How did they manage to get Casey and Joseph there? If they weren't there, Kevin wouldn't have 'stepped into the light' and the Beast wouldn't have killed Elijah.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Mad that

Reveal hidden contents

David was killed so easily instead of getting to go out in a blaze of glory.

That pissed me off. Glass started out good, but ended up an overall disappointment.

Weak ending to what could've been an amazing SH Trilogy.

Gave M.Night another chance after the CRAPPening.

Watched Split last night to prepare for this and enjoyed it.

, He won't get anymore of my $$$$$

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Here's the thing, though: How did they manage to get Casey and Joseph there?

I thought Elijah contacted them?  Elijah was going to spring it on Kevin that Kevin's father was on the same train as David except Joseph did it first (Elijah is saying "don't tell him now") when it happens.  I think Elijah wanted all the players there but a few things didn't go according to plan, er, comic script.

I thought the movie was just OK - not as good as Split or Unbreakable.  The gas lighting went on way too long; of course Sarah Paulson's character is up to something and all I could think was why is this hospital staffed by nincompoops?  How can David be locked up for three days with no legal representation? He saved the girls! Joseph, call a lawyer FFS!   Then of course I think oh, it's because she's totally not legit.    I was getting a little bored with different versions of the same conversation in the hospital. 

It is too bad because I enjoyed the beginning with David and Joseph and I thought that Ana Taylor Joy would have a bigger role; I did like hearing that her testimony sent her abusive uncle to prison.   I liked having Elijah's mother back as well.  Though I was happy to have David, Kevin and Elijah back, I would have liked more from their people on the outside.  I kept waiting for one of them to discover their own super powers.  I liked the usage of what was probably cut footage from Unbreakable to flesh out some of the back stories (David visiting Joseph's room, Elijah on the ride at the fair).

I wasn't too happy that David died but really all three went out in non-exciting manners.  I did like the message about discovering your own potential. 

• Love 2

I liked this movie;  Unbreakable and Split were better, but this was still good.   I'm not sure why the Secret Society would be concerned with the video release - in this day and age with all the technology available, it seems like it would be easy to get networks and others to claim it was faked.   

I really liked that they got the same actor who played kid Joseph to return as an adult.  Good thing he's continued acting all these years!

• Love 4
22 hours ago, jcin617 said:

I liked this movie;  Unbreakable and Split were better, but this was still good.   I'm not sure why the Secret Society would be concerned with the video release - in this day and age with all the technology available, it seems like it would be easy to get networks and others to claim it was faked.   

I really liked that they got the same actor who played kid Joseph to return as an adult.  Good thing he's continued acting all these years!

agreed on 'media' anymore, nothing is reliable as fact. and ditto on the kid, way cool to bring him back. i hope there is another movie, the son could definitely have powers.

My reason for liking it might be your reason for hating it. The best option for finding out if you're likely to enjoy a movie or not ahead of time is to find specific voices you trust or that agree with you on other movies.

Edited by Violet Impulse
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I keep hearing about this movie being bad in the last 15 or 20 minutes compared to the 1st or 2nd Act of the film.

I didn't think so.

Just got out of Glass and I really liked it. I thought the ending was fitting although sad, I cried for Kevin. I kept hopibg the final twist would be David's resurrection, which I probably why I didn't get emotional.

I really liked Unbreakable, in fact I would have given Split a pass until I saw the spoiler about it being a sequel to Unbreakable. I ended up liking all 3, although Unbreakable is still my favorite and, I'd probably put Glass above Split.

My final thought is that James Mcavoy is a rare talent.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

So 

Hide contents

How was one single army guy able to hold David down in the puddle? David who was strong as an ox, but he can be held down with one hand? I don't think so. And didn't Crumb get shot in Split but lived? 

Water is his weakness.

• Love 3

"Unbreakable's Spencer Treat Clark thought he'd be replaced for Glass."

It was pretty cool to see Spencer Treat Clark come back. I did think it was likely they'd replace him with a famous dude but it was cool they used him. They did luck out in the sense that Spencer has been acting all along (so it's not like he's being plucked from total obscurity) and he's actually grown into a pretty handsome young man in my opinion. (I mean, I'm only 2 years old than him but I'll still use that term in regards to him.) My one problem is that he has been playing a surfer bro on Animal Kingdom for awhile, and I kind of had a hard time buying him as a Philly guy because the way he talked seemed so California dudebro but whatever. I'm going to pretend that he spent a lot of time with Jersey shore beach bunnies.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

"Unbreakable's Spencer Treat Clark thought he'd be replaced for Glass."

It was pretty cool to see Spencer Treat Clark come back. I did think it was likely they'd replace him with a famous dude but it was cool they used him. They did luck out in the sense that Spencer has been acting all along (so it's not like he's being plucked from total obscurity) and he's actually grown into a pretty handsome young man in my opinion. (I mean, I'm only 2 years old than him but I'll still use that term in regards to him.) My one problem is that he has been playing a surfer bro on Animal Kingdom for awhile, and I kind of had a hard time buying him as a Philly guy because the way he talked seemed so California dudebro but whatever. I'm going to pretend that he spent a lot of time with Jersey shore beach bunnies.

He's actually a New Yorker.

10 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Yeah, I guess so - doesn't seem like there'd be enough water there to incapacitate him. And what, he doesn't have to drink water to live?

He was already weakened by the tank full of water. They covered that earlier in the movie when he tried to break out and his room was flooded with water. The Doctor made the comment that he was weak as a little bird (or something like that).

So yeah, water is his weakness and like Kryptonite the effects don't wear of instantly (Superman has to be far away from the Kryptonite and even recharge his strength in the sun).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:15 PM, TheOtherOne said:

There was a topic for the movie. It was farther down the page:

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/74878-glass-2019

Sorry about that, I called myself searching for it and never saw it.

Spartan Girl I understand being upset about David. Out of all the deaths, his was probably the least necessary.

ColoradoDavid, I don't think Elijah's room was ever locked, unlike the others. Remember he gets out of his room at least one time before that and they don't think much of it, and another time the dark haired male nurse asks him if he's been getting out of his room. I guess they figured he was so sedatated, the room didn't need to be secured ? I don't think he short circuited anything because he didn't have to.

AimingforYoko:

Here's the thing, though: How did they manage to get Casey and Joseph there? If they weren't there, Kevin wouldn't have 'stepped into the light' and the Beast wouldn't have killed Elijah.

I think it was the third day, the last day they all had to give up their delusions, so Casey and Joseph and Ms.Glass were all coming to be there for them, I guess. The others did not seem to know what was going on when they first walked up outside and met Ellie Staple at the entrance.

We specifically see it be nighttime twice, and the morning of the fight I believe, is the third day. The day they choose to rise up and fight back, and I can't help but figure Night chose that number as symbolic.

peridot:

I liked the movie

Me, too ! And I didn't feel too sorry for the mean nurse, either. I don't think we ever know his name ? But the part with him almost dropping the flashlight on Elijah's legs is I think, just a demonstration of how mental health patients are treated-especially if it's believed they can't or won't fight back or report them. His death just shows how vicious Elijah is. Elijah murders the nurse who was kind to him, so it would not have mattered how the mean nurse had treated him.  He was as good as dead when he walked in and saw Elijah up and rolling in that chair looking like Prince's lost lost daddy.

I keep hearing about this movie being bad in the last 15 or 20 minutes compared to the 1st or 2nd Act of the film.

Robert Lynch, I don't think a movie can be called bad overall, just because you don't get the ending you want. Or the beginning, or the middle, or the "right actor or director" for that matter. And that's the problem: a lot of people thought they were getting some slam bang action movie (probably a lot of the critics, and quite a few of the fans based on comments I've seen). Or they just didn't like it that he killed all three of them at the end. IDK. I think it takes more than a bad ending to completely ruin a movie. I'm not saying it's a perfect film, far from it. But it's not half as awful as some folks(and most of the critics) are trying to make it out to be. I've even read(don't know if it's true) that the studio offered Night more money for an "upbeat" ending and he said no. And that's another thing I like about him. His decisions aren't always the best, but if he has a stance and a vision, he keeps it. In the sense that they all die, it isn't an upbeat ending-but the final message is a positive one. So he kind of gives us both ? I think if you are interested enough to go see it, and you know ahead of time how it mostly ends, you're more prepared and you can enjoy it more(maybe.). But if you are interested, go see it and don't let another person's opinion change or sway yours.

Morrigan2575:

I thought the ending was fitting although sad, I cried for Kevin

I did rewatch it, and the second time, knowing what was coming, I cried, too. I didn't weep for David because to be honest, I find him to be the least interesting of the three. Felt bad for him though, especially when it looks like he is crying or about to cry right after that final evaluation, alone in his cell. But yes, Kevin's death is the most tragic because he is at the mercy (until almost the end) of the Horde. He isn't a willing participant in any of this and his backstory is the most heartwrenching. I actually rewatched after reading a comment on IMDB about the comic shop scene. The one where Casey is buying the comic ? There is  a shot of an old comic that is supposed to be Superman on the cover, shaking villains out of a car. Supposedly the comic was set up and the shot of it was done, to emphasize the parallel with Kevin at the end, turning the police car on it's side. The problem is, the camera never gets close enough to show the cover clearly, so if Night was going for any kind of comparision, it fell flat. I squinted as hard as I could, and I could not make the cover out. So I'm not sure if it's even true ?

I had a much stronger emotional reaction when I knew what was coming, and upon rewatching it, I think I'd bump the rating to a 7.50, and for the Kevin scenes alone, maybe an 8.

Colorado David, about Kevin surviving the first gun shots in Split: He was the beast when Casey shot him. They have a line in Split saying his skin is tough as leather, or something. And when his doctor tries to stab him in Split, remember the knife didn't even scratch him. When he is shot in Glass, he is no longer the beast, he is Kevin. It's why the sniper says out loud "she (Casey) was able to turn him, target down" after he shoots him. He waited until Kevin was present in the light, knowing the bullet would be able to go through.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

He was already weakened by the tank full of water. They covered that earlier in the movie when he tried to break out and his room was flooded with water. The Doctor made the comment that he was weak as a little bird (or something like that).

So yeah, water is his weakness and like Kryptonite the effects don't wear of instantly (Superman has to be far away from the Kryptonite and even recharge his strength in the sun).

eh ok morrigan stop making so much sense, i'm trying to nitpick :)  i forgot he got incap'd re the earlier tank

I liked most of this movie, and consider it to be, like Unbreakable, a really interesting twist on the superhero genre. The performances were all great, especially James McAvoy, and I liked the greater theme of finding your true potential, and I think I have an idea of what they were going for in the end. That being said...

I was not a fan of the twist, the conspiracy, or killing off the three main characters. It just seemed mean to bring David back after all these years, only to kill him off in such an anticlimactic way. And this conspiracy seemed so random. They had never been even implied throughout the three movies before the twist, and it just seems to come right the fuck out of nowhere, then just wander off. Like, oh snap, the thousand year conspiracy that has apparently excited since humans lived in caves and were super excited about that cool new "fire" invention that all the kids were into will be totally screwed because of one video. A video! That could easily be told it was doctored or some lame sequel to Chronicle, and everyone would move on. I generally find shadowy conspiracy who secretly control the world to be pretty lame villains, but this one was especially half assed. 

I do like the idea that Mr. Glass, The Horde, and The Overseer will become archetypes that will give rise to a new generation of heroes and villains in their imagine (the cackling super strong monsters, the evil genius, the superhero) and that will be the final win for Mr. Glass and his desire to create his own world of super people to fight each other. That is actually quite interesting, especially from a literary theory perspective and looking at meta fictional concepts. But then, stupid conspiracy...

• Love 4
On 1/27/2019 at 12:46 AM, Fukui San said:

So if James McAvoy's character is the one who pulls together the plots of Unbreakable and Split, does that make him The Unbreakable Jimmy Split?

Yes. But he’s not alive, dammit!

I liked the movie. Loved that Joseph became the guy in the chair. He’s grown up handsome and I really enjoyed his character. Hate that David died. 

• Love 3
On 3/9/2019 at 6:22 PM, bettername2come said:

Loved that Joseph became the guy in the chair. He’s grown up handsome and I really enjoyed his character.

M. Knight really, really lucked out that Spencer Treat Clark got past his awkward teen/young adult transition and kind of became this steady working t.v. actor in adulthood. Spencer did joke that he thought he was going to get replaced by an A-list actor or killed off in 5 minutes as some kind of motivation to the story. Having it be the same kid all grown up did add something, and I thought Spencer and his character were utilized pretty well. I thought he did pretty good work in the scene where Sarah Paulson is trying to convince him he's deluded himself into thinking that his father is a superhero out of his own personal grief towards his mother.

I did love that Casey, Joseph, and Mrs. Glass kind of come together in the end to make sure that the legacy of their respective loved ones comes through.

Also, Casey and Kevin were kind of like a Beauty and the Beast story, sans the happy ending, right? 

• Love 3
On 3/13/2019 at 5:47 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Also, Casey and Kevin were kind of like a Beauty and the Beast story, sans the happy ending, right? 

You aren't the first person to say this. IDK-I'm kind of both creeped out by, and fascinated by, that connection they obviously had. I don't think it was just Stockholm Syndrome-I think they genuinely cared about one another and saw a piece of themselves in the other. But at the same time....it was borderline inappropriate and unhealthy. It was doomed to an unhappy ending, and I'm glad that's what we got. It would have been too weird, otherwise. But dang if they didn't make me cry in that last scene.

• Love 1

I enjoyed it -- honestly, more than I expected, given the critical reactions -- and I thought the revelation about the doctor was silly but believable in a comic-book way.

I liked the tongue-in-cheek way M. Night tied his cameo from UNBREAKABLE to SPLIT to here, although I wished he would have said more than that "a tenant died," but something like, "she was a really nice lady," or something (given that he was really friendly with Betty Buckley's character).

What I did wish for was a more nuanced story and a longer time period. The mandatory "three days" just seemed weird to me, given all the huge effort and expense that goes into each prison for each person. I would have loved for there to be some real conversations between David and Kevin. I also felt like the Beast was a lot less sentient and articulate here than in SPLIT. I did love Glass's delight in Kevin's different personalities (and the little scenes between him and Hedwig were surprisingly sweet).

Some of the flashbacks irritated me -- I didn't feel like we needed to see Glass's, since it was just a literal (extended) version of what we already saw in UNBREAKABLE. But I did really like some of the others -- David's with his son, especially.

I was very unhappy with David's outcome. It just felt like such an afterthought (and really? to die by his worst fear, drowned in a mud puddle?). I figured he would have a tragic outcome here, but I hated that he didn't die taking out a bad guy here. That just seemed unnecessarily cruel, and such a downer way for David to go out. And the blocking of that scene is so odd -- I didn't buy that nobody was witnessing this (least of all, David's son), especially as it went on forever.

On the plus side, the actors were all wonderful as usual, especially McAvoy, who is such a treat in that role -- he is simply an astonishing actor. I always wish for more scenes with him and more exploration of his personalities. And I give him so much credit for making Kevin so distinct, separate and recognizable that his real friendship and feelings for Casey weren't weird or creepy (as they really could/should've been).

And I know it's totally cheesy but I wish we'd seen any sign of one person watching the video in the end and smiling, realizing they weren't alone in being gifted. (Honestly, I was kind of hoping David's son would show some kind of ability, because I'm a dork like that.)

But I did enjoy it.

• Love 5

That was.... not good.  Reminded me of the Cloverfield trio of movies, where the first two were good, while the third one left me thinking "WTF was that?  Other than a big old waste of money???"  The only good thing was James McAvoy's incredible acting skills & ability to play so many different characters so well.  

• Love 2
On 4/20/2019 at 4:04 PM, Token said:

That was.... not good.  Reminded me of the Cloverfield trio of movies, where the first two were good, while the third one left me thinking "WTF was that?  Other than a big old waste of money???"  The only good thing was James McAvoy's incredible acting skills & ability to play so many different characters so well.  

And I liked #2 (Split), but not Unbreakable or Glass. I agree that McAvoy's incredible acting was key. 

• Love 2

I...hated this. The bad reviews kept me from making it an in-theater priority, but now that it's available for rental, I checked it out. I knew I'd at least enjoy James McAvoy's flamboyant identity cycling, as I had in Split, but there were diminishing returns this time because he has to share more of the stage.

I've come to the conclusion that Shyamalan is a real but curiously stunted, unevenly developed talent, and maybe his youthful success gave him the bad kind of self-belief. "Cimino's syndrome," we could call it. He makes great-looking movies. I could stare all day at his gloriously overcast Philadelphia. He can do "dread" well, but the sustained scene-to-scene tension of real suspense eludes him, his dialogue can be hideously stilted, and he doesn't place a premium on logic. I found this movie and the people in it difficult to care about, and as often with Shyamalan, there's that weird incongruity between preposterous subject matter and the utter solemnity with which it is presented. Of course, go where your muse takes you and present even the most fantastic material as though you believe in it, but the man seems humorless.  

I still think The Sixth Sense is his only really good movie, and I've seen all the ones that were at all well received. Thus, I had not really loved Unbreakable or Split, but this is the only outright dud in that trilogy. 

McAvoy for MVP. Willis and Jackson coasted effectively. I did like Spencer Treat Clark as the grown son. Sarah Paulson is a well-respected actress, but her solution to every character she plays seems to be a look that is a combination of puzzled and pissed off. Shyamalan himself has gotten no better in 20 years at delivering dialogue.

• Love 2

I finally rented "Glass" this weekend.  I was apprehensive after all the mixed reviews.  It's not terrible, but it is muddled, and that's unfortunate.

I think the execution let down the premise.  The idea of a clash between these three characters was a good one.  Even the idea of gaslighting superheroes is clever and had a lot of potential.  If the tone and camerawork had been suspenseful and intense like the other movies, it would have been a better movie.  Instead, I think self-awareness and exposition got in the way.

I don't think Mr. Glass was given enough worthy material, and was forced into too much unnecessary monologuing for the audience.  I will credit SLJ for doing his best, and he did shine in his moments with the Horde.  James McAvoy brought it, and was the highlight of the film once again.

As low budget as this is, I think it would have been better with even less money.  If it were forced into a laser focus on the three central characters, it would have been better.

• Love 4
On 5/4/2019 at 6:27 PM, MisterGlass said:

As low budget as this is, I think it would have been better with even less money.  If it were forced into a laser focus on the three central characters, it would have been better.

IDK about that. One of the criticisms I kept seeing is that people didn't go into it wanting a character study. I don't know why anyone would think it would be an action filled type movie, since the first two weren't ?  I liked it, it's certainly far from perfect, but I do think it's one of the better films out of this year thus far. I don't know if that's high praise. Other than one or two movies I've seen so far, I haven't exactly been blown away in 2019.

• Love 4

I agree, there was no reason to think this would be an action film based on the others.  It's certainly watchable.  It feels a little caught in the middle between the other two films and the superhero genre.  I didn't want more action, but would have liked more suspense.

• Love 4

I can't argue with that at all. More suspense would  have been great. I think a truly suspenseful movie that isn't blood or violence saturated, is a rare thing these days. Suspense/thriller/mystery is probably my favorite genre, I wish Hollywood would give us more of them.

• Love 2
On 1/30/2019 at 8:09 PM, tennisgurl said:

I was not a fan of the twist, the conspiracy, or killing off the three main characters. It just seemed mean to bring David back after all these years, only to kill him off in such an anticlimactic way. And this conspiracy seemed so random. 

IA with all this.  The setup did seem random.  And what happened to David really sucks.  He was always a tragic figure, and him dying the way he did felt like an insult.  It's even sadder knowing that Joseph has lost both of his parents now.

The ending felt like a set-up for a reboot, although Shyamalan said he didn't want to do a cinematic universe type of thing.  But it wouldn't surprise me if that was the plan.  Reboots/sequels/franchises are in right now, and if this movie had been a great success, this could have led to more superheroes.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:33 AM, Simon Boccanegra said:

Sarah Paulson is a well-respected actress, but her solution to every character she plays seems to be a look that is a combination of puzzled and pissed off.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Sarah's not a bad actress, but she doesn't stand out to me, either.  

• Love 1