Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/8/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday, Oct. 8
 Co-host Meghan McCain returns to the table; Yvette Nicole Brown guest co-hosts; actress and author Jamie Lee Curtis (“Halloween”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Oct. 9 
Day of Hot Topics; Yvette Nicole Brown guest co-hosts

Wednesday, Oct. 10 
Day of Hot Topics; Yvette Nicole Brown guest co-hosts

Thursday, Oct. 11 
Actress Maggie Gyllenhaal (“The Kindergarten Teacher”; “The Deuce”); actress and former co-host of “The View” Raven-Symoné (Disney Channel’s “Raven’s Home”); Yvette Nicole Brown guest co-hosts

Friday, Oct. 12 
Actress Amanda Peet (“The Romanoffs”); Yvette Nicole Brown guest co-hosts

• Love 1

Who is off that week for YNB to take over? I hope she's moderating, or will it be Joy?

I might be the only one, but I'm looking forward to this week and seeing how Meghan adjusts with the show and with Abby. I'm hoping she isn't like before, but I also feel like she might show some signs of trying to show the other side. It's going to be interesting to watch. And I'm glad we get two days of Hot Topics.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Badbea99 said:

Joy is off. She mentioned an upcoming vacation the other day. 

Well that sucks. I don't know why, but I assumed that Whoopi would be off. I guess it's good for Joy's health due to the whole Kavanaugh thing. She'll need a rest before coming back.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I bet YNB regrets agreeing to cohost on the day Meghan returns.  I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of tears and hand holding.

She's actually on twitter tweeting about how excited she is because her and Meghan are friends and its shows cause Meghan has been favouring a lot of her tweets in the past month one of the few people. Another one of Meghan's "best friends" like we say Meghan has a best friend for EVERYTHING! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TheViewFirst1 said:

She's actually on twitter tweeting about how excited she is because her and Meghan are friends and its shows cause Meghan has been favouring a lot of her tweets in the past month one of the few people. Another one of Meghan's "best friends" like we say Meghan has a best friend for EVERYTHING! 

Ironically, with Meghan there, they won't be talking about YNB's "thoughts and feels about our nation."  They'll be talking about whatever Meghan decides they're going to talk about and screaming over her if they want to be heard.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Ironically, with Meghan there, they won't be talking about YNB's "thoughts and feels about our nation."  They'll be talking about whatever Meghan decides they're going to talk about and screaming over her if they want to be heard.

You said it.  There's no way Yvette is going to have much of an opportunity to share her "thoughts and feels about our nation".   Unless, of course, her thoughts are in line with NutMeg's.  That would really disappoint me.  I don't get this 'friendship'.  I enjoy Yvette when she appears on The Talking Dead.  She's a huge Walking Dead fan, as am I (season premiere tonight!!).  I can't see her disagreeing with Nutmeg out of respect for the situation.  Without Joy there, the return week will be even worse than anticipated.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Well that sucks. I don't know why, but I assumed that Whoopi would be off. I guess it's good for Joy's health due to the whole Kavanaugh thing. She'll need a rest before coming back.

??? What do you mean? 

I think she's taking a rest to build up her strength to bear the spoiled child returning to the table. I don't think it would be the news that would bother her that much, considering it's not any worse than it has been for 2-3 years now.

• Love 2

YNB isn't shy in sharing her views. She was there when Meghan was and still disagreed with her, so I don't expect her to not be who is she is just because MM is there.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

??? What do you mean? 

I think she's taking a rest to build up her strength to bear the spoiled child returning to the table. I don't think it would be the news that would bother her that much, considering it's not any worse than it has been for 2-3 years now.

I don't mean anything nefarious. Just that Joy looks done with how things are in the States, so if she can get away from everything for a bit and rest up, then all the power to her.

• Love 5
On 10/6/2018 at 8:41 PM, CheezyXpressed said:

Count me in for that.  I won't be watching for a while.  Maybe after the midterms? ::shrugs::

• Love 4

I can put my dislike of her aside for a moment and say she clearly had a very profound bond with her dad. And it was nice to hear her express her appreciation for the other ladies. I'm thinking she seriously considered not coming back bc she said he was the one who told her she should.

But as @Haleth said I'll probably be screaming later.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 15

This is cold hearted, I'm sure, but I thought she would never shut up.  All I could think was, "She's baaaaaack".  Every time I left the room, came back, she was still yakkiing.  At one point I had to clean up cat puke from the hall carpet, and even that was preferable to listening to her.   I'm sure she'll try to dominate the rest of the show, too.  She will take full advantage of whatever good will she's basking in from her bereavement leave.  There.  I said it.

• Love 21

Yes, it was moving and it was a nice emotional moment for everyone at the table.  Then Sunny unintentionally lightened the mood when she was praising Joy, but mentioned her age and Whoopi teased her about it.  This is one of those rare times when things go well on The View.

• Love 21

And she has such an anger about her.  Even her "heartfelt" thank yous to the other ladies were tinged with anger.  Every time she speaks, I think of the saying "spitting nails."  She just seems to have a lot of rage boiling right beneath the surface.  And she was like this before her father's death, too, so, no it cannot be attributed to just that.

• Love 19

Hmmm. After the first segment...I kind of feel like Meghan needs more time off. She was silent and looking down during the second segment, so I don't know if she'll remain this way throughout the show. I dunno, it's clear that she's still in heavy grieving at the moment. Maybe being on the show will help her move on a bit more, instead of being closed off and sad, but maybe another week would have been better...that sounds horrible. Sorry.

After almost thirty minutes of the show, I don't think we'll see Meghan as Meghan for awhile.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Cementhead said:

And she has such an anger about her.  Even her "heartfelt" thank yous to the other ladies were tinged with anger.  Every time she speaks, I think of the saying "spitting nails."  She just seems to have a lot of rage boiling right beneath the surface.  And she was like this before her father's death, too, so, no it cannot be attributed to just that.

I think she thinks shrieking and being loud makes her "tough." 

Just now, CheezyXpressed said:

Hmmm. After the first segment...I kind of feel like Meghan needs more time off. 

I was thinking the same thing and not even bc I don't like her. She was quiet during the Kavanaugh segment. Did she even say anything?

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Cementhead said:

You have nailed it.  This is the perfect description of MM.  I have no doubt that she loved her father, and I'm sure she feels equally toward her mother too.  But something had to have happened in her upbringing or her teen years to turn her into such a bitter, angry, "nail spewing" woman.  She's had far too many advantages in life to feel this pissed off.

• Love 16

Interesting that Meghan said how wonderful Joe Biden and Joe Lieberman have been but didn’t mention “Uncle” Lindsey Graham.  I guess she still doesn’t feel strong enough to deal with the shitstorm mentioning him may have brought.

• Love 20

I am in jury duty right now, but, based on y'all's posts, this episode will be worth watching later when I get the chance. I love YNB, and can't wait to see what she has to say. 

Has there been much interaction between Abby and Meghan? 

• Love 3

Does anyone know how Whoopi and John McCain became such close friends?  Is there a backstory to this?  Their friendship must have been a real thing if it was the catalyst to getting MM on this show via Whoopi. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, fatewemake said:

Yes, it was moving and it was a nice emotional moment for everyone at the table.  Then Sunny unintentionally lightened the mood when she was praising Joy, but mentioned her age and Whoopi teased her about it.  This is one of those rare times when things go well on The View.

I thought Meggie said Joy was 75!!??

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

I am in jury duty right now, but, based on y'all's posts, this episode will be worth watching later when I get the chance. I love YNB, and can't wait to see what she has to say. 

Has there been much interaction between Abby and Meghan? 

It hasn't actually been that great.

Segment 1 - Meghan thanks everyone, but it just made me think she needs more time to grieve.

Segment 2 - Brett Kavanaugh discussion that doesn't really say much. Abby plays both side and while Sunny, Yvette and Whoopi say this is a sad day for women. Meghan remains stoic and looks down the entire time.

Segment 3 - Taylor Swift backs a Democrat. Abby says that she use to go to Taylor to get away from politics, while Yvette said this nation was founded on people being politically active and it needs to go back to that. Meghan says that any woman voicing her opinion on politics is a good thing.

That's pretty much it for Hot Topics. Now it's just the interview with Jamie Lee Curtis and then View Your Deal.

It's pretty ho-hum, which makes sense. No one is really rocking the boat and Meghan has been down the entire time. Yvette has been great though.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

I was thinking the same thing and not even bc I don't like her. She was quiet during the Kavanaugh segment. Did she even say anything?

She was quiet during that segment.  I was thinking that either she's in disagreement with his confirmation but didn't dare say so for fear of pissing off her gun-toting, tough chick-loving base of fans - or - she herself was assaulted at some point in her life but never said anything, internalizing everything, and that's why she's so perennially angry.  

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Meh-gun is like Whoopi in the sense that she acts like a different person everywhere else and tries not to show the vile, bullying side of herself. She knows everyone's watching her return to The View because of her father's passing. She wouldn't hurt her 5 minutes in the sun by victim-shaming Ford (causing a slew of criticisms from media outlets). She'll save her real behavior for a few weeks from now when eyes aren't on her and it's just regular viewers who hear it.

• Love 19
40 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

And poor Abby wants her safe space bc Taylor Swift expressed her political opinion. Entertainers have made political statements for quite some time. Does Muhammad Ali ring a bell? This girl needs to crack open a history book.

Not to mention Jane Fonda who was just there a couple weeks ago.

I think Abby probably thought Taylor swung right and to find out she doesn't has disappointed her.

• Love 13

Just a theory BUT it sounded during MMs thank yous that she specifically asked for Yvette to be here the week of her return, maybe as emotional support? It would also make sense that Joy would suddenly take a vacation just a month into the new season....there’s not room for 6 panelists. 

It also wouldn’t be too far fetched that part of MM signing onto this season, she wanted Abby in the vacant seat as a condition to return.

• Love 3

I was only half listening when Meghan said she got wasted on Jack Daniels when her dad was diagnosed (I think) with Abby. She has also made other references to drinking bourbon with Joy or Sunny at lunches and I know she said she got wasted at her wedding reception.

I'm just kinda, sorta, thinking about Meghan's drinking.

6 minutes ago, geekburger said:

It would also make sense that Joy would suddenly take a vacation just a month into the new season....there’s not room for 6 panelists. 

Joy's birthday was this weekend, she turned 76. She probably took off for her birthday.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I thought it was kind of weird that she thanked "everyone" at the table & Joy was an after-thought!!  Sad!!

I got the impression MM mentioned Joy after someone on the panel (probably WG) whispered 'What about Joy?'

1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

Interesting that Meghan said how wonderful Joe Biden and Joe Lieberman have been but didn’t mention “Uncle” Lindsey Graham.  I guess she still doesn’t feel strong enough to deal with the shitstorm mentioning him may have brought.

Or more likely Graham has been busy in Washington supporting Trump's agenda while retired Senators Biden and Lieberman have had the time to reach out to MM.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 7

With Joy being a lady that has a problem with telling her age, (personally, I don't have a problem but that's me), I'm sure if she saw today's show she was pissed with that idiot Sunny.

Can't stand Meghan but as someone who is currently taking care of a sick parent, I felt for her.

• Love 6

Somehow I knew the widow daughter McCain would still be shrouded in black.  We get it, Meh-gun, you're in mourning.  Really...we get it.  But since you're on TV, it might be time to buckle up, Buttercup, and drop the Debbie Downer look.  Could you at least try a respectful navy blue?

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, OnTime said:

I was only half listening when Meghan said she got wasted on Jack Daniels when her dad was diagnosed (I think) with Abby. She has also made other references to drinking bourbon with Joy or Sunny at lunches and I know she said she got wasted at her wedding reception.

Depending on when McCain was diagnosed I think Abby would have been pregnant with her daughter.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Just a theory BUT it sounded during MMs thank yous that she specifically asked for Yvette to be here the week of her return, maybe as emotional support?

Could be.  Yvette certainly did come prepared with pretty powerful words to share.  That whole bit about how MM has her father in her and how it is now her job to assume the role and take the baton and become Thy Great One to save America from itself.  To unify the country and start the healing or bring the two sides together or something like that.  I will bite my tongue.

• Love 11

I have to thank you guys for being good troopers and watching the show today. I have been depressed and discouraged due to what has happened this past weekend. I could not stomach Megan and Aby gloating over Kavanaugh. So, I am happy to read on here that Megan was pretty decent and was not being smug or condescending. 

• Love 16

I was expecting (and glad) that they gave Meghan the floor at the start of the show to speak in hopes that her personal situation didn't interweave too much with the rest of the show. Not because I would find it annoying (at least not after just one day), but because there are 4 other women at the table and it would be difficult to have the show in the way it was intended if everything always came back to just one person at the table. 

I love that when celebrities have political opinions that a certain group doesn't agree with, the rebuttal is that the celebrity is a political nobody and should stick to their day job. Do people not realize the irony that a celebrity in the voting booth is no different from any one of us? And with the existence of social media, there is no fundamental difference between some random Joe using Twitter to talk politics than it is for Taylor Swift to do it. Instead of telling celebrities that they don't know anything about politics, just admit that you're actually terrified that a celebrity can have the political influence to increase the numbers for the team you oppose. And complaining that she's late to the game? Come on - it's not Swift's job to endorse anyone. She is a voter who can take as much time as she needs to decide the candidate that best represents her ideals and she can choose whether she wants to publicly endorse that person or not. Complaining about her timing sounds like wanting celebrities to do political campaigning on behalf of a political party...that's not their job. And Abby - Swift having a political preference is not everything being political. It's called having a civic duty just like anyone else. There's no reason you need to think 'hey, Swift is a Democrat' while you're listening to her music. She can still be your escape from the world... it's not like her political ideals are embedded in her music. 

Count me in as someone who is fascinated by Banksy...LOVE the fact that after all this time, people still don't know who this person is. 

Jamie Lee Curtis is so skillful - she effortlessly interwove her movie promotion with political and socially relevant content, lol.

Meghan did well today. She got involved in the conversations but was on her best behaviour. It's not for me to say how or how long someone should mourn and I know she's gotta a job to do but as a viewer, I appreciate that she tried her best to keep a smile on her face, especially after learning that it was her brother that prodded her to get back to work.

11 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I have to thank you guys for being good troopers and watching the show today. I have been depressed and discouraged due to what has happened this past weekend. I could not stomach Megan and Aby gloating over Kavanaugh. So, I am happy to read on here that Megan was pretty decent and was not being smug or condescending. 

In fairness, there was nothing smug or gloating about Abby either when discussing the Kavanaugh confirmation. 

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

That whole bit about how MM has her father in her and how it is now her job to assume the role and take the baton and become Thy Great One to save America from itself.  To unify the country and start the healing or bring the two sides together or something like that.  I will bite my tongue.

Oh for fucks sake.  Meghan does not have the ability to do any of that.  She would have to be willing to listen to the other side and make compromises which she has shown she will not do.

• Love 19