Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: When To Let Go (2)

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

The doctors and nurses of Chicago Med find themselves on high alert when an overflow of patients are rushed into the doors following a terrifying apartment complex blaze. Dr. Rhodes fights to save the life of one of “Chicago Fire’s” own, while Dr. Halstead and his brother Jay struggle with their own personal battle.

Ok the firefighters bullying the doctors is bullshit.  I liked Chicago Med much better without this crossover crap. 

And April can just fuck off.  Choi can do so much better than her judgmental ass. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Chas411 said:

It drives me mad the way the move around the timings for these crossovers. I wonder which family member of a regular will die tonight to service the crossover.

The Halstead father died after his rescue from the apartment fire. Jay cursed his father at the hospital during an argument which was the last words between them. Good job Jay! His brother is a loser as well.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

And April can just fuck off.  Choi can do so much better than her judgmental ass. 

It’s always so interesting to me how two people can watch the same exact thing and have completely opposite reactions lol. The way you feel about April is the way I feel about Choi. He’s an extremely stubborn asshole.

• Love 2

Choi might be stubborn at times, but April can fuck off because she thinks she's a doctor instead of the nurse that she is.  There was no reason for her to sneak and get the firefighters to basically bully Connor into trying a different procedure.  Although Connor should have stuck with his decision if he thought that was the right one and I didn't blame Ava for giving him that strange look at the end, like she couldn't believe that he caved to the firefighters.   

April also bullied her doctor brother until he finally had enough and got a backbone. 

So yeah, I can't stand her.

• Love 8

Is Rhodes always going to be the superhero surgeon? It was clear he'd relent and listen to the Fire people pleading with him to try and save Stella's lung. Weren't any of them concerned that Stella would lose her life? I suppose the story couldn't play out that Stella would die from the risky operation and that Bekker would be in an "I told you so" situation with Rhodes. Stella has her fans and her detractors among the watchers of Fire, I  don't have an opinion as I stopped watching it last season.

Severe burn injuries are just horrible, horrible.

• Love 2

I just HATE when they do burns.

So, the girl is a Crispy Critter and the parents just decide to let her die?!??  Good thing my family didn't adopt that attitude.

And of course, that shite-bucket Charles has to look around to find somebody - anybody - to justify the presence of his useless, quack ass...

Two of the casualties of the building fire were due to people's own stupidity. The mother and child that Otis found in the elevator were there because the mother tried to take the elevator during a fire. Even little kids know you're not supposed to do that.

Stella got injured because she ignored that the air in her tank was low.

And I'm a horrible person because I had trouble feeling sorry for them (except for that poor baby).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

I just HATE when they do burns.

So, the girl is a Crispy Critter and the parents just decide to let her die?!??  Good thing my family didn't adopt that attitude.

And of course, that shite-bucket Charles has to look around to find somebody - anybody - to justify the presence of his useless, quack ass...

I get what you're saying, but I read a book about a year ago about that fire at The Station in Rhode Island. And many were burnt so badly, it was hard to tell if the victims were male or female. In some instances, death is a blessing, if all they had to look forward to was endless pain and suffering.

So I get both sides of the coin here.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

And many were burnt so badly, it was hard to tell if the victims were male or female. In some instances, death is a blessing, if all they had to look forward to was endless pain and suffering.

But that's not what the doctors were describing.  They said months in hospital getting grafts, and years of therapy.  Check, and check.  Been there, done that.  27 months in Jobst skins.  And now, I can walk and talk, and enjoy pizza and pretty girls, and everything.  And only the youngest of children run screaming when they see me.  So, no, I'm against the "let them die for their own sake" argument.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

But that's not what the doctors were describing.  They said months in hospital getting grafts, and years of therapy.  Check, and check.  Been there, done that.  27 months in Jobst skins.  And now, I can walk and talk, and enjoy pizza and pretty girls, and everything.  And only the youngest of children run screaming when they see me.  So, no, I'm against the "let them die for their own sake" argument.

I'm sincerely glad you made it through.  :-)

• Love 9

Choi  is an idiot! I'm with April on this one and I don't even like her. 51 is a family, something Rhodes understood, hence him finding another option. Bekker can go at any time now and take Choi and Natalie with her. Dr. Charles annoys me at times. You can't force a consenting adult to be admitted to the hospital. Otis wasn't in psychosis, and clearly explained what happened. It's official, Will is adopted,there is no way he's related to hot head Jay and their now deceased ignorant father.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, watcher1006 said:

Is Rhodes always going to be the superhero surgeon? It was clear he'd relent and listen to the Fire people pleading with him to try and save Stella's lung. Weren't any of them concerned that Stella would lose her life? I suppose the story couldn't play out that Stella would die from the risky operation and that Bekker would be in an "I told you so" situation with Rhodes. Stella has her fans and her detractors among the watchers of Fire, I  don't have an opinion as I stopped watching it last season.

Severe burn injuries are just horrible, horrible.

That's the extremely bad writing. They write the episodes not to tell a good story but, knowing that everything will end up well, to show heroism and going for the "wow,  wish I had a doctor like this! So brave!" 

If a doctor did this experiment on me, I would sue his ass. survival as a fluke is not acceptable and experiment in human beings is a very nazi thing to do. Besides, listening to a group of people because "they are family, sniff, sniff" and risking a life because "she is brave, how can she live without being a firefighter" is malpractice. A good writing team would come back to this in a near episode. Not holding my breath tough.

22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Choi might be stubborn at times, but April can fuck off because she thinks she's a doctor instead of the nurse that she is.  There was no reason for her to sneak and get the firefighters to basically bully Connor into trying a different procedure.  Although Connor should have stuck with his decision if he thought that was the right one and I didn't blame Ava for giving him that strange look at the end, like she couldn't believe that he caved to the firefighters.   

April also bullied her doctor brother until he finally had enough and got a backbone. 

So yeah, I can't stand her.

Two points: I can't stand the character mostly because I can't stand the actor. It is like watching a doll. Same tone, same posture, same facial expressions for all emotions.

Add to that the fact that what a utopian life this nurse has! In a hospital, in the midst of a deluge of patients with serious injuries, a nurse can take the time to watch a surgery? Do these writers have any link to reality at all? They could at least added a couple of lines to indicate that she stopped by for just a second, so busy she was. But then again, how can an expressionless person convey the urgency of saving lives?

As for Ava, I wish she had been tougher. She gave the strange look but she also seemed infatuated by the actions of a super doctor. Writers cannot really write medical dramas anymore. All the current ones only show the type of hospitals I would never wanted to be treated in.

• Love 6

Once again Chicago Miracle...whoops I mean Med saves the day with one cliched trope after another.

The whole 'she's family' bleating is just tired and old. No, legally you are not family, you cannot dictate her surgery because you work together. Of course Rhodes was going to see the light and do things the way a bunch of whiny firefighters demanded.

Then once she has her tiny minor procedure she's looking fine with just a couple of nasal prongs on mere minutes after having part of a vital organ removed. 

I don't know why I was hoping this season would improve.

Also...funny things you notice. I was at least relieved to see Stella was wearing a practical bra while she was at work. I was pleasantly surprised considering she was dry humping Severide in the fire house hours earlier, I was sure she'd have some lacy little number on just incase.

• Love 7

for those who watch all the Chicago shows, what happened in the 3rd hour with the patient who ran off to get away from creepy guy?

I don't watch any of the other Chicago shows but for some reason, I find their characters more interesting --at least to look at. Maybe I would hate them too if I watched their show. But I prefer Jay over red hair guy and old fire fighter guy seems cool. [if he's not, I almost prefer no one point that out; I'm enjoying my fan rewrite of the Chicago universe]

Who didn't know that the parents would change their minds and treat the daughter? kind of obvious.

I also didn't really buy Dr. Red Hair freaking out about the 30 days. Yeah, the COO was being shady--but your brother is having difficulty with this and an extra day or so would help him realize this is not going to change .. . He was acting like there was some huge benefit of turning off the ventilator that instant. I would get it better if there was some major benefit to it (like if we turn if off now he can be an organ donor and save this kid . . .)

I know Dr. Charles is a doctor but it was kind of weird having him suddenly be a ER/PCP type plus the psych stuff.

this episode reminded me of the ER episode when Shep loses his partner to severe burns. That was heart wrenching. This was not.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Guildford said:

Also...funny things you notice. I was at least relieved to see Stella was wearing a practical bra while she was at work. I was pleasantly surprised considering she was dry humping Severide in the fire house hours earlier, I was sure she'd have some lacy little number on just incase.

I noticed the bra and was pleasantly surprised to see that they didn't use the usual trope of women on tv (and in movies) always in lacy bras. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, alexvillage said:

f a doctor did this experiment on me, I would sue his ass. survival as a fluke is not acceptable and experiment in human beings is a very nazi thing to do. Besides, listening to a group of people because "they are family, sniff, sniff" and risking a life because "she is brave, how can she live without being a firefighter" is malpractice. A good writing team would come back to this in a near episode. Not holding my breath tough.

I really hate that trope.  Like, really?  I think she'd rather be alive than dead, even if she can't be a fire fighter.  There are thousands of different jobs out there that Stella could eventually do if she can't be a fire fighter.  Yes, we know she wants to be a fire fighter, but if Gabby can be thirty different things at once, so can Stella.  Maybe Stella could take that fire inspector job that Gabby had for a while.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

for those who watch all the Chicago shows, what happened in the 3rd hour with the patient who ran off to get away from creepy guy?

Is that the same one that was teased in the commercials or was she the young girl who had the severe burns?  I thought the 3rd hour would be about who beat the girl and/or who set the fire but from what little I saw I could not connect the shows.

30 minutes ago, elle said:

Is that the same one that was teased in the commercials or was she the young girl who had the severe burns?  I thought the 3rd hour would be about who beat the girl and/or who set the fire but from what little I saw I could not connect the shows.

It was loosely related in the fact that some random guy somehow involved with a drug cartel killed someone we never met in the building and set the fire to cover it up. The girl who was beaten absconded, died not before breathlessly declaring she was free. The burned girl was thrown into Med so we could see Nat acting all angsty and that was the end of her. Basically it was an hour of the other Halstead brother acting like an idiot and seeking revenge.

• Love 2

How long was Stella in the hospital that when the firefighters went to confront Rhodes they were still wearing their gear?  I hated the entire Stella plotline - it's the worst sort of writing requiring all the characters involved to act like idiots.  Stella not telling anyone at the scene her air was about to run out, April acting like she's a doctor not a nurse, Rhodes actually listening to firefighters instead of following the best medical plan, Severide and Choi almost getting into a fight, and of course everything working out in the end and Stella healing up from major surgery within a few days.  You know they probably aren't going to kill Stella or actually give her a permanent career ending injury, especially since they already killed Papa Halstead and Fire had a major character leave last week, so all this plotline served to do was make everyone look like an idiot.  I thought maybe it was building up to Severide proposing to Stella so they could actually be family, but nope just a really stupid plot.

I stopped watching Med and was only watching for the crossover, so I didn't know who the lady offering the Halsteads to let their dad to stay on the vent and the man complaining about changing the ER so they didn't have as much space were.  I think that's the problem with these crossovers, if you don't watch or get behind on one of the shows it's hard to follow some of the storylines.  The first part was just the fire, so I don't think there were as many elements where you really needed to know who all the characters were, and so far all I need to know from PD is that one of the Halstead brothers is a cop, but on Med there are comments about other ongoing things and they aren't relevant to the stories I'm following over from Fire.

I hated the burned girls parents - I can understand stopping care if she was likely to die anyways or the smoke she inhaled left her with permanent brain damage, but needing skins grafts and therapy and coming out the other side able to live a normal life doesn't seem worth letting her die.  Maybe if she had been someone we met and knew before hand that she was very sensitive about here appearance and would hate living with burn scars I could understand, but we only have the parent's word on that and they and the girl are strangers to us so it's hard for me to empathize with.  And somehow when they change their minds an OR is available, while Choi and the guy I don't know are cutting open a woman's arm because no OR is available.

I didn't entirely get Otis and Dr. Charles' story - I don't think anyone at the CFD or at least at 51 would see anything wrong with Otis getting some counseling after see the charred corpse of a woman and child who he feels responsible for losing after they slipped away from the group he was leading out.  And if the memory of something that happened a couple hours is causing him trouble, that's not PTSD.  Seeing the woman didn't make him flash back to when he got shot.  I guess it emphasizes the firefighters as family point because at the end Dr. Charles sees Otis talking and laughing with his buddies at the end so that's helping him cope.

• Love 4

Maybe Stella’s real family will show up and sue. Maybe Stella will be ticked that she can’t collect disability and/or have a different job. Maybe there will be medical research on how just one lobe of one lung suffered permanent damage from heavy smoke inhalation and the rest of her pulmonary system is clean. So many questions....

• Love 6
5 hours ago, athelyna said:

How long was Stella in the hospital that when the firefighters went to confront Rhodes they were still wearing their gear?  I hated the entire Stella plotline - it's the worst sort of writing requiring all the characters involved to act like idiots.  Stella not telling anyone at the scene her air was about to run out, April acting like she's a doctor not a nurse, Rhodes actually listening to firefighters instead of following the best medical plan, Severide and Choi almost getting into a fight, and of course everything working out in the end and Stella healing up from major surgery within a few days.  You know they probably aren't going to kill Stella or actually give her a permanent career ending injury, especially since they already killed Papa Halstead and Fire had a major character leave last week, so all this plotline served to do was make everyone look like an idiot.  I thought maybe it was building up to Severide proposing to Stella so they could actually be family, but nope just a really stupid plot.

You hit the nail on the head....some much dumb in that plot it wasn't funny.

5 hours ago, athelyna said:

I didn't entirely get Otis and Dr. Charles' story - I don't think anyone at the CFD or at least at 51 would see anything wrong with Otis getting some counseling after see the charred corpse of a woman and child who he feels responsible for losing after they slipped away from the group he was leading out.  And if the memory of something that happened a couple hours is causing him trouble, that's not PTSD.  Seeing the woman didn't make him flash back to when he got shot.  I guess it emphasizes the firefighters as family point because at the end Dr. Charles sees Otis talking and laughing with his buddies at the end so that's helping him cope.

Of course they wouldn't see anything wrong with it. I I am pretty sure, like the fire departments here if you go to a major fire and there is a fatality there is a mandatory debrief and counselling available as soon as you get back on station. I certainly know it happens here.

It was just another stupid plot point to bring everyone at Med into the story, we had to see Dr Charles at his bumbling best.

• Love 1

It's been said elsewhere but in my opinion it's hard to put together crossover events and make everything hang together organically. Characters from the other shows feel out of place in the universe of a particular show, and the thread of common plot often seems to get shoehorned in.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, athelyna said:

How long was Stella in the hospital that when the firefighters went to confront Rhodes they were still wearing their gear? 

I had the same thought--I found it distracting that they all seemed to be wearing gear and isn't that stuff heavy? I don't know why shows don't apply a little logic here and there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I had the same thought--I found it distracting that they all seemed to be wearing gear and isn't that stuff heavy? I don't know why shows don't apply a little logic here and there.

I'm sure it's heavy, but it's also smelly.  They just came from a fire, and would reek of smoke.  That hospital area would smell like a burnt building with all of them there like that.

• Love 3

Call me silly, but even with Stella's lung saved but with a portion removed, would she still be able to be an active firefighter? I would think ANY kind of lung damage in that line of work would be a no-no. Remember in Fire's early days, there was a guy who had really bad smoke inhalation or something and had to leave 51, and was all suicidal over it? But hey, he wasn't Stella...

As for the Halsteads, I found it odd that Pat was so bitter toward Jay about moving to the apartment. I'm sure it was a suggestion, not Jay holding him at gunpoint to sell the house. He could have insisted he wanted to stay put, maybe hired someone to do outdoor work. But I guess that lacks drama.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Call me silly, but even with Stella's lung saved but with a portion removed, would she still be able to be an active firefighter? I would think ANY kind of lung damage in that line of work would be a no-no. Remember in Fire's early days, there was a guy who had really bad smoke inhalation or something and had to leave 51, and was all suicidal over it? But hey, he wasn't Stella...

I wondered about the partial lung removal also.  I can't imagine that she'd still be able to be a firefighter, but I don't know so......

• Love 1

The show missed an opportunity to talk about PTSD among first responders.  It's a big problem in real life.

I didn't get the bit about selling Papa Halstead's home when he didn't want to move. Does Chicago not have reverse mortgages?  Jay could have left him in the house and used some money to fix it up and get someone to come in and take care of him.

I have no sympathy for the fire fighters "We're her family". It's nice that you feel that way but she has legal family and they get to make the decisions.

• Love 2
On 10/12/2018 at 11:03 PM, statsgirl said:

The show missed an opportunity to talk about PTSD among first responders.  It's a big problem in real life.

I didn't get the bit about selling Papa Halstead's home when he didn't want to move. Does Chicago not have reverse mortgages?  Jay could have left him in the house and used some money to fix it up and get someone to come in and take care of him.

I have no sympathy for the fire fighters "We're her family". It's nice that you feel that way but she has legal family and they get to make the decisions.

Except where is her family? If they cared, they would be there right? 

1 minute ago, Liv4Brains2018 said:

Except where is her family? If they cared, they would be there right? 

I don't remember enough about the character from Chicago Fire to know if she has family in Chicago. I remember something about a deadbeat cousin? friend? but I don't watch that show enough.  And if she does have family in Chicago, why weren't they at the hospital?  Were they even called, or was that skipped for the dramatic moment?

She has to have a Next of Kin noted on her official forms, hopefully with medical care power of attorney. and that is the person who would be making the medical decisions for her.  Not the guys on her shift.

• Love 2

I was startled Natalie managed to keep her opinions to herself and shut off the ventilator without pulling any of her usual stunts. 

Severide asking April for her opinion on medical treatment was eyerolling. What was more eyerolling was her giving it and then also giving both the actual doctors as much unnecessary attitude as he was. 

She should have been written up for allowing a bunch of coworkers to ambush Rhodes before surgery. It's really frustrating that she didn't get called out.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 1