Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Pinata

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I had to laugh, Odenkirk is pretty yummy there (imo) - but the expression and that curl is SO Jimmy.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, here's Odenkirk at the age of Jimmy: 

image.jpeg

I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers . . . 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They'll still need to explain the water usage. One possibility would be to put up a front (literally) with some laundry equipment run by his men and pretend there's an operational business there, even if all they're actually washing are the dirty clothes of the diggers.

I don't think 7 Germans would use an abnormal amount of water as compared what a huge warehouse like that would be expected to use.    I also think, that unless there is reason to suspect illegal activity, the authorities are generally not closely scrutinizing water or power usage by factories, warehouses, etc.    

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

I think Kim has been onto it for a while.  In the last episode, after Jimmy got back home after being mugged, Kim asks him "So, this happened at the Dog House?"  And this is after Jimmy left without saying where he was going.  So my impression is the scene of Jimmy selling phones at the Dog House was not his first time there, and that Kim is well aware he has been conducting business late at night and away from his store. 

Factor in their later conversation about how Jimmy would have known how not to get "rolled" in his younger days.  She has to know what he's doing is not on the up-and-up, and that getting beat up is a not-too-uncommon cost of doing business.   Kim has traveled quite a ways down the path to the dark side since the time she didn't want to hear about manufactured evidence.   I still wonder whether her foray into criminal law is an attempt on her part to turn away from the dark side, or to go even further towards it.   

(The "path to the dark side" reference was inspired by the change in color scheme.) 

I definitely think she knows he gets out of bed at night and goes somewhere.  I don't know what else she knows.  She might have bought that he was just mugged.  I think that now that she is a partner in a big name firm, she won't be able to countenance any shenanigans like she used to.  She is pragmatic, after all.  She made a beeline to Schweikert after seeing Jimmy's dreams of reconstituting their joint firm.  She's doing what's best for her and she will shy away from screwing that up.  That's my guess, anyway.  I wouldn't want to see her bring a big client to a respectable firm and then waste it the way Jimmy did with Sandpiper and Davis and Main.  That would be too much of a retread. 

Btw, I like when people ask how Jimmy is doing, they refer to him as James.  Of course they probably would if they didn't know him well, but it's a little touching to me for some reason. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I thought Kim was trying to make an impression on Chuck.  I didn't find Chuck's  subtle, slightly irritated reaction to her going a bit overboard that unusual or off putting.  If a mail room clerk rambles on to a CEO, I'd expect that sort of reaction or worse.  IMO, Kim, in her enthusiasm, was being mildly presumptuous in trying to engage the senior partner in an extended conversation.   When she surprised him with her knowledge of case law, his attitude seemed to change and he was impressed.  Nothing wrong with the merit system, IMO.    

That's probably true about a mail clerk rambling to the CEO.  But given the way that Chuck has treated people he believes he's superior to (that includes Howard) I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.    Even Howard's father, whom Chuck noted to Howard was working in a two-room office before he came along.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, benteen said:

That's probably true about a mail clerk rambling to the CEO.  But given the way that Chuck has treated people he believes he's superior to (that includes Howard) I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.    Even Howard's father, whom Chuck noted to Howard was working in a two-room office before he came along.

When Chuck mentioned the 2 room office, he was defending himself against Howard's attempt to kick him out of the firm he built.  He was correctly stating that HHM  (or just HH) was small time before he came along and helped build it into a huge firm.   

I do think Chuck was a rather formal person, who didn't necessarily like a lot of familiarity  between people of different ranks within the firm.  He is also a bit snooty.  But, a senior partner subtly brushing off a chatty mail room clerk, doesn't seem that bad to me.  

• Love 2
Just now, smartymarty said:

As we the audience apparently hand-waved whoever set up the houses and connected the plumbing and electrical. (More workers in hoods?)

I don't think the warehouse itself is top secret.  A businessman buying a warehouse and wanting some mobile homes with plumbing and electricity in them doesn't seem terribly suspicious.   "We we need some people on call here 24/7, so we giving  them a place to sleep."  

It is the super lab beneath the laundry that must be kept top secret.   

• Love 3

I think the bad apple in the opening scene was Jimmy.  Kim was trying to show off her knowledge and interest in the law, Chuck graciously gave Kim a chance to show off and even feigned ignorance about a case to test her, and Jimmy messed things up with his "butt on a platter" comment.  

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't think the warehouse itself is top secret.  A businessman buying a warehouse and wanting some mobile homes with plumbing and electricity in them doesn't seem terribly suspicious.   "We we need some people on call here 24/7, so we giving  them a place to sleep."  

It is the super lab beneath the laundry that must be kept top secret.   

I think it's a little weird that the two houses would be plopped down in the middle of the space.  Plumbing and electricity are easier to run along the perimeter.  It just looked kind of silly to me.  Put your offices or sleeping pods or whatever along the walls and have the space open for whatever you're storing in the warehouse.  I'm still not sure about where this is in relation to the meth lab location, but I don't think that lab place is in the middle of nowhere--the engineer said he would need utility schematics and Mike said he would get them.  Mike the retired cop is sure doing a lot of project management in apparently two locales.  What a guy. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

As long as they don't shower too often.  :-)

If they take a "Navy shower" get wet, turn off water, soap/shampoo,  rinse,  it commonly takes 2-3 minutes and uses 3/4 gallons of water.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I think it's a little weird that the two houses would be plopped down in the middle of the space.  Plumbing and electricity are easier to run along the perimeter.

The idea is probably to surround them on all sides with a maze of crates and barrels to hide them from any nosy government bureaucrats or inspectors that might come by.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The idea is probably to surround them on all sides with a maze of crates and barrels to hide them from any nosy government bureaucrats or inspectors that might come by.

Maybe, but with the lazy boys, open bar, basketball hoop, soccer field, etc. it doesn't look like they are trying to cover anything up.  Maybe Mike trusts the hole in the desert he'd leave them in to keep the nosy government bureaucrats away.  

• Love 1

Well, it is possible that plumbing for two bathrooms/breakroom facilities had been stubbed in through the concrete slab when the building was built, and the mobile homes were just hooked up to them. Yes,  that typically would be done near an exterior wall, but I'm not going to hammer the showrunners for going with a slightly better vusual. 

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 4

Would Kai have agreed to ride across2  states with a hood over his head? He probably peeked. I wonder if they took their (GPS in the '90's?) phones at the Denver airport?

I think Mike's point to Gus is that they would be there quarantined for 6 months; nobody in and nobody out. Except to go to Belize,, (cough-KAI-cough),

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Jimmy does tend to get himself knee deep into trouble and does manage to find a way to pull himself out of it.  The big question is why does he continue to get himself into trouble.  As smart as he appears to be, it almost seems like he does that intentionally just to see if he can get himself out of trouble.  It seems like he needs to prove to himself how smart he is and how stupid other people are time and time again.

This sounds a lot like Walter White and his relationships with EVERYBODY!

Echoing the conversation between Jimmy & Howard "You're a sh!##y lawyer" was Jimmy's visit to Walt/Jesse "You guys are lousy at drug dealing".

• Love 2

I'm wondering how just seven (?) men are supposed to excavate the space under the laundry. It seems difficult, if not impossible, especially without blasting through rock or calling attention to the activity. While the lab wasn't huge, as I remember it, the walls were pretty high, and the ceiling would have to be reinforced. Maybe Lydia is running the logistics. She does seem to have a knack for this kind of thing. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I had to laugh, Odenkirk is pretty yummy there (imo) - but the expression and that curl is SO Jimmy.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Excellent point. Gus is very much an animal not in his native habitat, as is Hector and as are all of the cartel members we encounter in the show in New Mexico.

Regarding Jimmy not being as attractive as Kim: IRL, Rhea Seehorn is 46 and Bob Odenkirk Kirk is 56. As someone who passed both those milestones without cosmetic enhancements and yet was often assumed to be 5-10 years younger, I would guess that RS has at least some Botox around the eyebrow area in order to play the part of a woman in her 30s, whereas BO looks un-enhanced.

This season I've noticed more comments about Jimmy being less attractive than Kim, but I seem to be alone in complaining that all the actors who came from Breaking Bad now look too old for their characters. I maintain that it's this older-playing-younger by only the BB cast that is creating the visual disconnect, but mileage does vary, and to each his or her own.

Anyway, here's Odenkirk at the age of Jimmy: 

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers . . . 

Bob O is totally giving me the smolder. He is a pretty good looking guy and the tiny curl on the forehead is hilarious though probably in keeping with the fashion of the time.

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Jimmy does tend to get himself knee deep into trouble and does manage to find a way to pull himself out of it.  The big question is why does he continue to get himself into trouble.  As smart as he appears to be, it almost seems like he does that intentionally just to see if he can get himself out of trouble.  It seems like he needs to prove to himself how smart he is and how stupid other people are time and time again.

I love Jimmy but this is a  very frustrating aspect of his character. I know he honestly believes when he runs a con that he only hurts assholes but this is what all con artists think about their victims in order to justify their behavior.  The "Romeo" type cons who steal tons of money from women who trusted them always think their victims are greedy gold diggers who "deserve" what they get. Jimmy had a chance to create a career every bit as prestigious and impressive as Kim's when he was at Davis and Main despite his humble beginnings. With the exception of Chuck, it felt like most of the legal community embraced him and Howard affectionately referred to him as "Charlie Hustle".  Jimmy is going to voluntarily lay down with dogs when he becomes Saul just because he can not face his inner emotional pains (because only the weak do that type of thing}.

2 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

This sounds a lot like Walter White and his relationships with EVERYBODY!

Echoing the conversation between Jimmy & Howard "You're a sh!##y lawyer" was Jimmy's visit to Walt/Jesse "You guys are lousy at drug dealing".

Jimmy's self-sabotage is kind of like when would Walter rather dive into the horrible world of drugs than except a well-paying position at Grey Matter that would have covered all his health care costs.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 8
On 11/09/2018 at 9:51 PM, Bannon said:

The story by Gus could be largely embellished, of course, because the point of it is that Hector, like many comoatose people, may undetstand what Gus is saying perfectly well, and Gus knows it. Gus is tormenting a helpless Hector by any means available. The point of the scene is turn the hatred dial between these two characters to "11".

One thing I love about the show are the little teasers. When Gus left the room and they focused on Hector's hand 99/100 shows the finger moves. Not in this one. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I'm wondering how just seven (?) men are supposed to excavate the space under the laundry. It seems difficult, if not impossible, especially without blasting through rock or calling attention to the activity.

You can break through rock quietly. I had a chance to see someone do it in his backyard. You just drill a hole into the rock and pour in a special mixture that first hardens, then expands; the rock cracks apart under the stress. It's slower than blasting, but it doesn't scatter the debris they'll need to deal with, so they'll save time on that part

• Love 8
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

You can break through rock quietly. I had a chance to see someone do it in his backyard. You just drill a hole into the rock and pour in a special mixture that first hardens, then expands; the rock cracks apart under the stress. It's slower than blasting, but it doesn't scatter the debris they'll need to deal with, so they'll save time on that part

I am most interested in seeing what they do with the excavated materials.Is it going to be like The Great Escape with people dumping soil through their pant pockets?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Son of Saul said:

One thing I love about the show are the little teasers. When Gus left the room and they focused on Hector's hand 99/100 shows the finger moves. Not in this one. 

Actually I would have loved it if Hector had given a little grunt or groan or burp and we see Gus hear it and smile.

Edited by Pat Hoolihan
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Jimmy does tend to get himself knee deep into trouble and does manage to find a way to pull himself out of it.  The big question is why does he continue to get himself into trouble.

To me that's sort of the central question of the show, with each season filling in a different piece of the puzzle. Season 1 centers around Jimmy's inherent sense of decency that he's unable to let go of even when he's trying to break bad. Season 2 looks at the other side, how he's unable to just walk the straight and narrow, and how as a result he's always pinging back and forth between conscientiousness and sleaze. Season 3 is about his impatience, how he's always leaping without looking, and the ways it both gets him into constant trouble and protects him from getting into really deep trouble the way someone like Mike can by being too careful and caring too much about things. And season 4 deals with the devil-may-care exterior he develops to deal with the pressure of being constantly torn between his better and worse natures, between always feeling put-upon and always somehow skating away unscathed.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It did seem sort of odd that she didn't ask for more details about what he was doing there.  But, it seems like Kim doesn't want details.  She is gently trying to encourage him to get help, but she is giving him a lot of space (perhaps too much).  She doesn't seem emotionally prepared to turn over that rock and find out what is really going on inside Jimmy's mind and in his life, right now. 

20 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

She made a beeline to Schweikert after seeing Jimmy's dreams of reconstituting their joint firm.  She's doing what's best for her and she will shy away from screwing that up.  That's my guess, anyway.  I wouldn't want to see her bring a big client to a respectable firm and then waste it the way Jimmy did with Sandpiper and Davis and Main.  That would be too much of a retread. 

These two statements offer great insight into Kim's actions/behavior right now. She understands Jimmy, probably better than anyone does. She is giving him space and that's noted in the low-key way she asked him if he saw the therapist. She has been at a crossroads in her relationship with him for awhile. Seeing his plans for their joint law firm pushed her to finally make a choice that she knew she would eventually have to make. And I like the way she did it. 

15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This is a great statement about Jimmy. Seems like he always wants to bring down the guy that everyone else thinks is the "smartest guy in the room." Even when he is outwardly trying to be the perfect partner in his relationship with Kim - making breakfast, picking up dinner - he is still undermining everything good around him. It is his fatal flaw. 

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Regarding Jimmy not being as attractive as Kim: IRL, Rhea Seehorn is 46 and Bob Odenkirk Kirk is 56. 

Odenkirk plays Jimmy with charm and humor and I am completely captivated by him. I understand why a woman like Kim would be in a relationship with him, especially if she likes "bad boys." Ultimately, there is no way for that relationship to succeed because Jimmy is self-destructive. However, I was much less captivated by Saul even though he always made me laugh.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I am most interested in seeing what they do with the excavated materials.Is it going to be like The Great Escape with people dumping soil through their pant pockets?

Maybe they will transport the dirt in laundry trucks and dump it at Fring's chicken farm.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 4

Picture of a sketch from Saturday Night Live, wherein Christopher Walken plays a Bond villain directing construction of his lair of evil.  Phil Hartman plays James Bond, who gets captured a little too early.  image.png.fbc7ecce7299da45e3728565919214fb.png

Unfortunately I was not able to find a video of the sketch itself. 

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

Ohh? What if he refused to share them?

My mind just took a dive to a very inappropriate comment. ;)

4 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

These two statements offer great insight into Kim's actions/behavior right now. She understands Jimmy, probably better than anyone does. She is giving him space and that's noted in the low-key way she asked him if he saw the therapist. She has been at a crossroads in her relationship with him for awhile. Seeing his plans for their joint law firm pushed her to finally make a choice that she knew she would eventually have to make. And I like the way she did it. 

This is a great statement about Jimmy. Seems like he always wants to bring down the guy that everyone else thinks is the "smartest guy in the room." Even when he is outwardly trying to be the perfect partner in his relationship with Kim - making breakfast, picking up dinner - he is still undermining everything good around him. It is his fatal flaw. 

Odenkirk plays Jimmy with charm and humor and I am completely captivated by him. I understand why a woman like Kim would be in a relationship with him, especially if she likes "bad boys." Ultimately, there is no way for that relationship to succeed because Jimmy is self-destructive. However, I was much less captivated by Saul even though he always made me laugh.

His fatal flaw is what makes Jimmy's story a tragedy, at least in the literary sense. I too wasn't particularly interested into diving into Saul and saw him as the comic relief. Boy, I'm glad I made the choice to watch this show, because I was dead wrong.

I recently made my boss a convert - he'd skipped BCS for the same reasons. He's loving it too. Binging, in fact.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

His fatal flaw is what makes Jimmy's story a tragedy, at least in the literary sense. I too wasn't particularly interested into diving into Saul and saw him as the comic relief. Boy, I'm glad I made the choice to watch this show, because I was dead wrong.

I agree. I also wasn't particularly interested in this show when it was first announced. Thought that is was unnecessary. I was dead wrong, too.

Jimmy could be the most compelling character in the BCS/BB universe. His story is tragic because he seems unable to help himself from repeating the same mistake over and over. He has survived, unlike many of the characters.  However, Gene has nothing left - friends, family, career, not even his name. All of that could have been avoided if Jimmy had stopped being Jimmy.

• Love 6
On 9/12/2018 at 6:21 PM, Clanstarling said:

The NOT Chilean animal doesn't bother me - because people migrate - refugees, immigrants, military, diplomats, business people, the list goes on. Gus could be the "Chilean" simply because that's where he ended up, perhaps by extended family finding him and his brothers.

But if you were a writer for this show, would you choose a non-Chilean animal for that story, when there are undoubtedly plenty of cute scavengers in Chile they could have made the same point with?

It may be that they're going to reveal that Gus isn't originally from Chile. If that's the case, then I'd say that explains the writers' choice of a coati.

But if they don't do that, I think it has to be an intentional clue that something was fishy. Because I can't fathom these writers not doing any research on where coatis live.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

But if you were a writer for this show, would you choose a non-Chilean animal for that story, when there are undoubtedly plenty of cute scavengers in Chile they could have made the same point with?

It may be that they're going to reveal that Gus isn't originally from Chile. If that's the case, then I'd say that explains the writers' choice of a coati.

But if they don't do that, I think it has to be an intentional clue that something was fishy. Because I can't fathom these writers not doing any research on where coatis live.

I think it was probably just a mistake by the writers.  They are pretty thorough, but they get a few things wrong now and then.  Coatis live in every other country in South America, so they might have just assumed the also lived in Chile.  

If it was intentional, I would lean much more towards thinking that it never happened and Gus just made up the story to torment Hector.  A "Gus isn't really from Chile" twist doesn't seem like something they would do, and doesn't seem all that interesting.   

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think it was probably just a mistake by the writers.  They are pretty thorough, but they get a few things wrong now and then.  Coatis live in every other country in South America, so they might have just assumed the also lived in Chile.  

If it was intentional, I would lean much more towards thinking that it never happened and Gus just made up the story to torment Hector.  A "Gus isn't really from Chile" twist doesn't seem like something they would do, and doesn't seem all that interesting.   

I agree with your first paragraph because a cursory look at coati descriptions say South and Central America, but I'm less sure about the second.  If I'm trying to deliver a message to a pretty crude person who is at some level of unconsciousness and has had what amounts to a brain injury from a stroke, I'm going to be simple and direct.  And brief.  Gus' message was none of those. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I agree with your first paragraph because a cursory look at coati descriptions say South and Central America, but I'm less sure about the second.  If I'm trying to deliver a message to a pretty crude person who is at some level of unconsciousness and has had what amounts to a brain injury from a stroke, I'm going to be simple and direct.  And brief.  Gus' message was none of those. 

I think, whether true or not, he told the story to torment Hector, though he would be unsure how much, if any of it, Hector could understand. 

Ironically, telling him the story might have been therapeutic. and might have been intended that way.  Fring's Johns Hopkins doctor told the Cousins, Nacho and Arturo that talking to Hector was important because it would help by making his brain try to respond and find pathways to connect.   Since Arturo was killed tragically by the Espinosas :), Nacho is somewhat indisposed, and the Cousins, who were never that chatty to begin with, have gone back to Mexico, Gus might be the only one to aid in Hector's recovery by speaking to him.

Spoiler

The preview for 407 shows Hector awake and responding to the doctor's questions, by tapping his finger, so the coati story might have done the trick. 

I did not recognize either one of the black-clad goons from the Pinata warehouse when they removed their masks. The recap says one was Huell and the other was "Man Mountain" from a previous episode but I have no recollection of that character whatsoever. Anybody?

6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I did not recognize either one of the black-clad goons from the Pinata warehouse when they removed their masks. The recap says one was Huell and the other was "Man Mountain" from a previous episode but I have no recollection of that character whatsoever. Anybody?

In "Pimento", Man Mountain was one of the 3 security men Daniel "Pryce" Wormald hired to protect him on his first drug deal with Nacho.  After Mike disarmed the tacticool mall ninja guy and hit him in the throat with one of his own guns, Man Mountain ran off, leaving Mike to do the job by himself.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

We've just begun to hear some of his pre-drug trade background, so I'm willing to think that the writer's have more reveals planned, which may include Gus not being originally from Chile (or, if he was, that at that period of his life, he was living elsewhere).

It may well be a mistake, but it's happened before, on this and forums for other series, that perceived mistakes or events that make no sense, turn out to be deliberate choices and are addressed as the story evolves.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Maybe they will transport the dirt in laundry trucks and dump it at Fring's chicken farm.

There'll be a lot of pieces of rock and stone too. Maybe they could build some stone walls like New Englanders used to do with the rocks they cleared from their land. Or perhaps there's a nearby gully or quarry they could throw it in. Over the months, if they've got any bodies to dispose of, they could throw them in before dumping the latest load.

• Love 2

In "Pimento", Man Mountain was one of the 3 security men Daniel "Pryce" Wormald hired to protect him on his first drug deal with Nacho.  After Mike disarmed the tacticool mall ninja guy and hit him in the throat with one of his own guns, Man Mountain ran off, leaving Mike to do the job by himself.  

Thanks Bryce. Wow . . . I vaguely remember the scene but there's no way I would ever remember the face. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Ironically, telling him the story might have been therapeutic. and might have been intended that way.  Fring's Johns Hopkins doctor told the Cousins, Nacho and Arturo that talking to Hector was important because it would help by making his brain try to respond and find pathways to connect.   Since Arturo was killed tragically by the Espinosas :), Nacho is somewhat indisposed, and the Cousins, who were never that chatty to begin with, have gone back to Mexico, Gus might be the only one to aid in Hector's recovery by speaking to him.

Sure, it could be that hearing Gus droning whether he could grasp it or not was in some say an impetus for Hector.  Wouldn't Gus have been more naturally speaking in Spanish though to make it easier since it is probably both of their first languages?  It would be a lot to subtitle but they do it quite often.

I thought Arturo was killed by Gus' crew as a teachable moment for Nacho? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

We've just begun to hear some of his pre-drug trade background, so I'm willing to think that the writer's have more reveals planned, which may include Gus not being originally from Chile (or, if he was, that at that period of his life, he was living elsewhere).

It may well be a mistake, but it's happened before, on this and forums for other series, that perceived mistakes or events that make no sense, turn out to be deliberate choices and are addressed as the story evolves.

I'm seeing from online sources that coati do have a presence in Chile, just not on the mainland. It seems the early settlers brought them to the Juan Fernández Islands off the coast to hunt mice, but they quickly became an ecological menace.

I would assume that they picked the coati either because it has that reputation in Chile as an invasive species, which fits perfectly into Gus's story, because they wanted Gus to be from a particularly remote part of the country -- maybe particularly from Robinson Crusoe Island in the Juan Fernández Archipelago, which has obvious resonance with Gus's lonely self-reliance -- or both.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I recently made my boss a convert - he'd skipped BCS for the same reasons. He's loving it too. Binging, in fact.

I'd be curious to get your boss' take on Jimmy and the show in general.  I didn't start watching this show until its third season, and that gives me an outlook on the title character that is different than most.   

On the coati thing, I'm going with the simplest answer, which is the writers chose an animal that is reasonably well-known in the US and is indigenous to places south of the border.   I still would like to have the backstory to Don Eladio's "I know who you are comment" to Gus fleshed out.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
On 9/12/2018 at 6:20 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I think Jimmy and Kim are on a reasonably similar level (Kim a bit higher) and the both care for each other and Jimmy really admires Kim.  But, they seem to have different goals and values and they don't communicate, but both sort of slough off when the other does something that worries or hurts them.  It seems odd to say, but I think they need to argue more.  

I like them as a couple but I've kinda noticed this too. On the one hand, it seems like a good thing if two people are going to be together for them to accept each other as they are, not try to change or criticize your partner, etc., and I think they do that very well.

But then, they also don't seem to have as much involvement in the other person's life and decisions as maybe you need if you're ever going to be really close as a couple (and they do seem to be living together now). It's like they see each other in the morning and at night and then pretty much do their own thing and not talk about it too much with each other.

• Love 1
On 9/14/2018 at 6:25 PM, ShadowFacts said:

Sure, it could be that hearing Gus droning whether he could grasp it or not was in some say an impetus for Hector.  Wouldn't Gus have been more naturally speaking in Spanish though to make it easier since it is probably both of their first languages?  It would be a lot to subtitle but they do it quite often.

I thought Arturo was killed by Gus' crew as a teachable moment for Nacho? 

I was joking about Arturo's cause of death.  Fring's men framed the Espinosas for his murder.

• Love 4

I assume we were meant to recognise Man Mountain's size more than his face. Incidentally, that actor also played "Man Mountain" in Hancock.

I think people might be reaching a bit too much in thinking that Kim's aware of Jimmy's nocturnal sales career. Maybe she thinks he was down there bored and looking for trouble, but it's very likely she assumed that he'd gone out at night because he couldn't sleep - easy for her to ascribe to guilt over Chuck's death, and contribute to her desire for Jimmy to get help - and just got rolled on principle.

It's worth pointing out that Jimmy changed from his track suit back into his work shirt before he came home and Kim found him in the bathroom. She might have twigged that he was up so something, otherwise.

• Love 10
On 14/09/2018 at 7:03 PM, Blakeston said:
On 12/09/2018 at 11:21 PM, Clanstarling said:

I've always believed from the fact that Hank et al. could not find any record of Fring in Chile that he was not in fact Chilean, though he was obvious affiliated with some pretty frightening people there, given Don Eladio's comments. These writers rarely slip up, so until or unless we're shown otherwise, my guess is it was intentional.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, wendyg said:

I've always believed from the fact that Hank et al. could not find any record of Fring in Chile that he was not in fact Chilean, though he was obvious affiliated with some pretty frightening people there, given Don Eladio's comments. These writers rarely slip up, so until or unless we're shown otherwise, my guess is it was intentional.

I took it to mean that his name was not really Gustavo Fring.  That is what Hank suspected.  

If there was a big shot in the Pinochet regime named Gustavo Fring, I am sure the US would know about him.  This makes the fake name theory make even more sense.

I wonder if Gus could have CIA connections.  The CIA cooperated in the coup that put Pinochet in power.

• Love 2