Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Pinata

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I took it to mean that his name was not really Gustavo Fring.  That is what Hank suspected.  

If there was a big shot in the Pinochet regime named Gustavo Fring, I am sure the US would know about him.  This makes the fake name theory make even more sense.

I wonder if Gus could have CIA connections.  The CIA cooperated in the coup that put Pinochet in power.

Whatever Gus's Chilean backstory is (assuming he is Chilean), it might be a factor in keeping him alive if the Salamancas figure out what happened to Hector.   Although I don't like the idea that Hector will recall what Gus said to him because it would mean Gus made a sloppy error.  

I find the idea of a CIA connection intriguing, but perhaps too distracting from the main tenet of this show.  Might make for a good prequel series based on Gus.   

• Love 1

On the eve of the Emmys, I dare say that if there were an equivalent award for show forums, PTV's Better Call Saul's would be nominated for best in show.  :)  Thank you all for adding so richly to my enjoyment of BCS.

One thing about the MV deal that I always suspected appealed to the CEO, Kevin, is that he was getting fantastic legal reputation at an enormous cost savings.  Kim could only bill so many hours.  Schweikert will exponentially increase billable hours and Kevin's cost.  I am seriously wondering if what appears to be an elegant, if not perfect, solution blows up in Kim's face.  

• Love 3

I'm still wondering how they could even start building the underground lab, or excavating it, keeping within the footprint of the laundry, entrance through the laundry.  The fact that you have to support the very heavy weight of the laundry building, with equipment, while excavating underneath.  That seems very difficult, if not impossible.

15 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I'm still wondering how they could even start building the underground lab, or excavating it, keeping within the footprint of the laundry, entrance through the laundry.  The fact that you have to support the very heavy weight of the laundry building, with equipment, while excavating underneath.  That seems very difficult, if not impossible.

Do we know for sure that the lab is directly beneath the laundry, or is it possible that there was perhaps a pre-existing basement, and the bulk of the lab extends further underground, not beneath the laundry? That's in part how they expanded the facility where I work—where no drugs are made, heh.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do we know for sure that the lab is directly beneath the laundry, or is it possible that there was perhaps a pre-existing basement, and the bulk of the lab extends further underground, not beneath the laundry? That's in part how they expanded the facility where I work—where no drugs are made, heh.

In BB, they entered the lab by moving one of the big laundry machines to reveal steps going down.

Mike mentioned in the last episode to the first estimator guy that it had to stay 'within the footprint of the laundry'.

Now, maybe there is a small basement already there, but that has never been shown, or referred to, IIRC.

• Love 1
On 9/10/2018 at 11:00 PM, ahmerali said:

OK, so the next one is called "Something Stupid". It seems pretty obvious that Kai is going to do 'something stupid' and it will not go well. Or is that TOO obvious for this show?

In the sneak peek of the next episode, we see that....

Hide contents

...Hector wakes from his coma, in his new paralyzed state, and starts learning how to communicate using the index finger of doom.

I think that soon we will be seeing the lovely world of Casa Tranquila, and the first of Gus's visits to taunt Hector. I can't wait to see how the whole "Now will you look at me" thing gets started.

Arghhhh no.  This is turning into Breaking Bad-The Early Years. 

On 9/10/2018 at 11:19 PM, Penman61 said:

Feeling grumpy, not sure if it's the show, so scroll by if you want your mellow unharshed:

• I found Gus's monologue to Hector uncharacteristically writerly in the worst ways that Vince & Co usually excel at avoiding.  You see, Hector, this story, which totally happened, is a metaphor, an analog, and it explains my character because no one watching has any idea how supremely, how patiently and terribly vengeful I am.  And, in the bargain, this ironically foreshadows what will happen to both of us.  Beautifully lit, though.  
  • Jimmy's motivational speech to Howard was, likewise, poorly written, although perhaps less hackneyed.  I was not convinced that Howard would be convinced, and it felt contrived in that "Is Jimmy talking to Howard...OR HIMSELF?!?"
  • Have we--or more importantly, has the show--ever explained the vast gap in looks, brains, and character between Kim and Jimmy?  I mean, that over-softened flashback cold open really emphasized the disparity.  It's just weird.  Yeah, I know, there's no accounting for tastes, Cupid shoots his arrows where he will, etc.  But...really.  And of course it's part of a widespread movie/TV pattern of incredibly hot, accomplished women and the schlubby dudes who...just get them because why not?  Can we just have Jimmy one time acknowledge how Kim is completely out of his league?  

I actually don’t find Kim attractive. Love that she is smart, but her looks are average and her direction is vague. YMMV.

• Love 4
On 9/11/2018 at 9:07 PM, dwmarch said:

It could mean that coatis were found in Chile until they pissed Gus Fring off.

I could imagine a series of Chuck Norris-style jokes about Gus Fring. But then I realized the truth:

Gus Fring is every bit as strong and deadly as Chuck Norris. But no one lives to joke about it.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:54 AM, qtpye said:

I have meet guys like Jimmy and there is no way a man with that type of personality would not at least have, even if it is just superficial, a large circle of friends. Jimmy is the type of guy that even check out people in the grocery store would look forward to helping. We saw him doing an Oscar pool in the office...this guy is a good time. He needs to be around people because they energize him. He is simply not the type to sit still and get lost in his own thoughts.

Fixed that for you.

• Love 1
On 9/12/2018 at 11:47 AM, Blakeston said:

They didn't air the actual f-word on AMC at all when Breaking Bad was on - not even the original airing. The first time AMC actually aired the f-word without the sound dropping was in 2017, on Fear the Walking Dead. https://hiddenremote.com/2017/09/26/amc-permits-fear-walking-dead-use-controversial-word-just-beginning/

As for Jimmy's attractiveness, I think it's fair to say that a lot of people would find him very charming (but certainly not everyone.) Kim thoroughly enjoyed the Viktor/Giselle scams, so I can easily see her being charmed by his sleazy bad boy ways.

Bob Odenkirk is a reasonably good-looking guy, and I've seen plenty of women who are very attractive with men of his physical caliber. But I agree that Jimmy would regularly get some "how the hell did you land a babe like her?" ribbing from other guys.

That said, we don't see Jimmy and Kim meeting many people as a couple, and we don't see Jimmy with friends, so there aren't many people who would be in a position to make those kind of comments.

I watched Breaking Bad when it originally aired. I absolutely remember that line, even today. The way she said it, like she was swinging a sledge hammer at Walt's head. Sorry, but it was not bleeped or sound dropped. Not in the original airing.