Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Sequel

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, kes0704 said:

I don’t know how TV show contracts work but if she was a regular or recurring she’d be locked in and wouldn’t be able to accept other opportunities if something interesting comes up, would she? 

Regular yes, recurring no.  Regular really benefits the studio and prevents the actor from signing onto other work.

I'm still worried about all the fuss of her leaving. I know you guys said it's because she's not a regular but if she was still going to be felicity Smoak and available for parts of S8, the poem and everyone crying seems really dramatic. 

Plus wouldn't they have spun it to tell fans she'd be back? I don't see how out would benefit them to not talk about her being back when everyone is threatening to stop watching. 

I'm worried she's done with Felicity, shelved that part of her life/career away forever. I don't blame her and it's totally understandable but I'm worried!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm still worried about all the fuss of her leaving. I know you guys said it's because she's not a regular but if she was still going to be felicity Smoak and available for parts of S8, the poem and everyone crying seems really dramatic. 

Plus wouldn't they have spun it to tell fans she'd be back? I don't see how out would benefit them to not talk about her being back when everyone is threatening to stop watching. 

I'm worried she's done with Felicity, shelved that part of her life/career away forever. I don't blame her and it's totally understandable but I'm worried!

There's no guarantee she'll return because I doubt she's signed on to return even just for the series finale yet. So the messages make sense. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

You should 100% count on her being done and not being back, and if she does show up in a guest starring role at some point before the end of the show, consider it a bonus.

15 hours ago, kes0704 said:

I’m also curious about whether they anticipated how upset a very large part of the fandom would be about Emily leaving at the end of S7. It would explain why the information was released in advance and not left until after 722 aired.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people talk about walking away from the show with the news that Emily is leaving. I don’t know what the audience numbers will look like for S8 but I imagine Greg Berlanti thinks it’s worth the risk to draw Arrow out for the sake of the crossover. 

I don't expect to see a huge hit in the ratings.  A drop, sure but there's a large core that will watch no matter what and a lot of fans that probably weren't getting counted in the same day or seven day numbers already.  But the huge surge I'm seeing predicted by the anti's, yeah, that's not happening, lol.  There likely will be an uptick compared to how the season ends if only out of curiosity of how it works next year, but it's an old show no matter who is a regular.  

13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone here know how Once Upon A Time turned out after the regulars left? Didn't Charming, Emma and Snow all leave? What was the level of engagement like?

I follow a big Hook fan and among her and her peeps there was the same level but the general impression I got was the were trying to ignore most of a very unsatisfying final season.  I read a LOT of comments that they should have just wrapped it up the season before.  

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

What benefits an actor more, 'recurring' or 'special guest star'?

I would think it depends on what the actor is looking for. 

Charlotte Ross was a guest star in season four and was used like a recurring regular and felt undervalued and basically said if they want her to be available the next year they needed to compensate and make her a regular (recurring status) to make up for the opportunities she would have to turn down and the trouble of traveling back and forth and being away from her kid.  So I think it's more money but more than that, it's security knowing what she's going to be doing and that she wouldn't have to stress about both being available and being able to make money.

If one didn't want to get locked down though, they'd probably prefer not being made a regular of any kind.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, kes0704 said:

I don’t know how TV show contracts work but if she was a regular or recurring she’d be locked in and wouldn’t be able to accept other opportunities if something interesting comes up, would she?

Yeah, I believe a series regular must appear in at least a certain amount of episodes (something like 10-13 for a full season, not sure how much for a shortened one) and is the show is your first priority, meaning when they want you then you can’t do something else. So it’s possible she could appear next year as a special guest star. Though if that were locked down, you’d think they would announce it to stop everyone from freaking out. Maybe they’re playing it by ear? 

Logically it makes sense for EBR and everyone to say that Felicity is done for the show. It lowers expectations and if she does come back for one or more episodes, it's a bonus. It also leaves her free to find other work when her play is done.

I think if she can come back. she will.  It's what made her dreams come true. Plus, she's a nice person and seems to like her co-workers.

16 hours ago, kes0704 said:

Arrow has always had to carry the load of launching spin-offs and the COIE crossover seems to be having a disproportionate affect on how S7 plays out and what happens in S8. It annoys me greatly that it’s come to this because it seems they want their comic book extravaganza.

Look at Flashpoint -- Arrow was the only show that suffered any longterm consequences.  Arrow is always the show that twists itself into AU for the crossovers.

At least I don't have to worry about that any more.

14 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I think they are taking a gamble on average Joe and general comic fans still watching their big crossover. Elseworlds seemed to have a lot of people who were excited to see Superman propose to his Aunt.

On a purely academical level, it will be interesting to see how the ratings do and how large the audience is. The Felicity haters say that she killed the show; s8 will be the time to prove it.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Though if that were locked down, you’d think they would announce it to stop everyone from freaking out. Maybe they’re playing it by ear? 

Yeah, I'm guessing they don't have anything locked down yet and even if everyone fully intends for it to happen, making promises is risky if there's no actual deal/agreement in place. Filming dates wouldn't be set, the play could be extended (supposing that is even Emily's only conflict) and if they promised a return and it for some reason didn't pan out, it would be ugly.

• Love 2
(edited)

Even if they did have Emily locked down for some of S8, they might not reveal it because it would be a major spoiler. These people loooove writing towards "Gottcha!" moments and sacrificing logical story-telling for surprises. 

I predict once the S7 finale airs and Felicity is written out there will be  slew of speculation articles about likelihood of her appearing in season 8, and 1st possible official hint about this, that we may get could only be at SDCC, if not later.

Edited by Genki
  • Love 4

Maybe Felicity will have a brief final return like George Clooney's surprise cameo when Julianna Margulies left ER. It was only a few seconds, but it nicely reunited Carol, Doug, and their daughters. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Did SA film a FF scene last night?

If he did and it isn't just him visiting in order to get that photo since he'd know the other 3 would be on set at the same time, then it thankfully looks like they also gave him a lighter treatment on age makeup XD. It does look like he's got some makeup on with what looks like a fake cut over his eyebrow. Also if that is the case, Beth must be feeling lenient for allowing CH and SA to post spoiler photos like that

• Love 1
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

On a purely academical level, it will be interesting to see how the ratings do and how large the audience is. The Felicity haters say that she killed the show; s8 will be the time to prove it.

I could actually see the ratings being fine — good, even. It has less to do with it being Felicity-less, and more about it only being a 10-episode season. If EBR announced she was done and the show was still set to continue for a few seasons I would definitely bail after S7 (mostly because I don’t think a CW show would keep a lead character without another love interest for that long). But knowing that it’s almost over, and after all the years I put in, I am curious to see how it ends up. Unless the general audience really, really hates the direction of S8, I assume most people will see it through. Some may even return; I’ve certainly dipped back into shows I’d previously given up on for the last few eps just to see how they wrapped it all up. 

• Love 1

Trying not to be too hopeful, so I'll try to just focus on the fact that we did get this photo. (But please let us get a family reunion in the future in 722.)

Also, I love how he posted it everywhere — Twitter, Facebook, Facebook stories (which, really, wasn't unnecessary), and Instagram. 

• Love 2

My hope is that 7x22 writes out Oliver with Felicity ala S3 finale. They can bring Oliver back in S8 for whatever reason but I want to be able to view 7x22 as the series finale if the real one sucks. 

• Love 9

I’m wondering if Beth relaxed her strict no spoiler/no pictures policy because the EP’s have all seen how upset fandom has become about how the end of Arrow playing out. 

First it was the bombshell of a short 10 episode  S8, then it was Emily’s departure at the end of S7 and there’s a lot of annoyance about the impact of the looming COIE crossover on the show.

Maybe they’re trying to create a little goodwill for the final run of S7/S8 episodes...or maybe they’re not. In any case, I’ll happily enjoy all the pretty BTS cast pictures they want to give me and they can earn my goodwill by giving me a satisfying conclusion to the show after 7 years.  🙂 

• Love 3

I guess we should at least learn how Roy ended up on Craphole Island since he shows up in present day. Although I do hope this doesn't mean he spends 20 years there. Or that Oliver clues him in into how to "be there" while not being there. 

I'm not really sold on that being Future Oliver since SA doesn't seem aged up AT ALL. If he has filmed, maybe it's something completely gut wrenching, like Felicity dreaming about her family being together, only she's imagining Oliver the way he looked when she last saw him. 

Or it's going too much in the other direction from 2046 AltOliver, who looked 80 at the ripe old age of 60.

4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Roy looks like he just did a murder and is feeling sexy about it. 

He really does, and now that's all I can see/imagine.

Roy: goes crazy with bloodlust, kills someone, everyone finds out he died and Thea put him in a Lazarus Pit

Oliver: "You're grounded. To Lian Yu for the next 20 years until my wife sends our son to get you and you follow an odd scavenger hunt and are told Felicity's evil and dead only to ..."

Roy: "That's oddly specific." 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Is there a spoiler in there? Looks like they were socialzing.

I guess the implication could be that they went from set where they might have shared scenes somehow to sharing a drink afterwards.  

Ugh the thought of seeing Emiko again in any way shape or form depresses me. 

She's such an uncharismaric bore. They've managed to add two actresses who are worse than KC. KC at least has decent comic timing and chemistry when she's with EBR.

Whatever will they do when there ain't no more EBR to lift these doozies. Can't whack them in a scene with her anymore to "revive" them a bit.

https://tvline.com/2019/04/04/arrow-season-7-flash-forwards-diggle-status-david-ramsey/

About JJ and Diggle in the FFs:

“We thought it was really interesting to introduce something new that was unexpected,” Schwartz explained. “Instead of taking everyone we knew from the present and seeing what happens in the future, we thought it’d be really cool to introduce a new kind of character.” As a result, “In addition to having JJ, [John and Lyla] adopted Connor, and we’re going to see that unfold more in [Episode] 19 (airing April 22), in terms of that relationship.”

Make no mistake, John Jr. also exists in the future, and “we’ll explain where he is” in an upcoming episode, says Schwartz, noting that the brothers share “an interesting dynamic.”

But what about the lads’ dad? David Ramsey has said that Diggle is “alive and well 20 years into the future… he’s quite well, in fact,” hinting at a huge reveal for family patriarch. Speaking to Diggle’s said fate, Schwartz assured TVLine, “It will be explained eventually.”

Make no mistake, John Jr. also exists in the future, and “we’ll explain where he is” in an upcoming episode, says Schwartz, noting that the brothers share “an interesting dynamic.”

Is it an ARGUS (or some other questionable org) employed JJ vs. a Knightwatch employed Connor?

4 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Was Stephen tagged somewhere else or did he post about being there? I didn't see anything on his Insta, and he's not in the video (the guy in the background doesn't sound like him either). 

The last voice in the video really sounds like him to me.  Shrug.  

So Alena has an interesting proposition for Felicity.  What could she possibly suggest?  Maybe someone that wants to invest?  Possibly with iffy ties?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Is it an ARGUS (or some other questionable org) employed JJ vs. a Knightwatch employed Connor?

God I hope not cause that would possibly reek of Diggles POS Little Brother against Dig from season 4 

Rebecca Bellotto co-wrote 702 and 714, which were pretty good Felicity episodes, and 707, a good Oliver episode. Her first script for Arrow was 416, so she can definitely write emotional Olicity scenes.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

The last voice in the video really sounds like him to me.  Shrug.  

Oh yeah - I figured that's the voice OP thought was Stephen, but it doesn't sound like him to me at all. That's why I was wondering if there was other evidence, haha.