Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Field of Dreams

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

He is the Regional Mgr for DFRG, overseeing the restaurants in DFW. The restaurant at the Star is not in the DFRG group. It is owned by Dee Lincoln, the original cofounder of Del Friscos, she left the group several years ago. She also has Dee Lincoln’s Tasting Room at AT&T Stadium. 

Thank you for answering! What a great job. I’ve never been to the steakhouse, but Del Frisco’s Grille is yummy!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

I didn't think about this while I was watching, but it is a bit strange to have so many retiring and to single out Jinelle in that way. I mean, I get why they featured Cersten. It is a feather in the DCC's cap to be able to say "We've had cheerleaders who've gone on to become doctors, etc." But Jinelle is a legend? I would love to know why.  They said fans liked her, teammates liked her, and kids liked her, I get that. But what makes her a LEGEND?  That's a big word. In all the discussions I've seen on this board about who would be considered a "superstar DCC" I don't think Jinelle has ever been mentioned.

I liked Kelli's Day#2 dress. I didn't really understand her outfit in the last scene. Then again, I'm not a fan of over-the-knee boots in general.

5b6f72706e5bb_KelliDress.JPG.064b89a85dc61b06d9ed2df97f8059cc.JPG5b6f72774a677_KelliBoots.JPG.d84dc00ad88d10464cd12b5b584151e5.JPG

Yeah that dress is Roland Mourant, It's actually flattering on her not like those other wrap dresses from Belk

2 hours ago, ShellyB said:

The interviews used to be individual with a handful of jugdes, so those were going on while vets were learning the semis routine, which was also an innovation of the show. Prior to MTT, vets learned the combo after the individual finals routines were finished. They would have about an hour to practice then auditions resumed with the groups, like they are done now. 

Thanks for answering! They don't have much time to learn it do they.

I get all the criticisms but I still just love this show--it's my guilty pleasure. I did almost puke when VK and TK did their ridiculously cheesy air guitar crap. VK has been shown winking at the camera two or three times already and is just such an immature and attention-grabbing ham that I find her so annoying that I'm nearly offended by it all.

One of my very favorite moments came during the kick line audition sequence, when Judy went, "Oooo, struggle bus!" I think I nearly cried laughing and I'm going to figure out how to work that phrase into conversation.

Loved the part with the vets and hearing K & J talk with Jinelle about her decision. I hope they keep up with these vets segments not only during the semis and finals episodes, but also during the rest of training camp. After watching the Jinelle stuff, I went back and watched a couple of episodes from her rookie season, including the episode where she makes the team, and I had all the feels for her. I totally rooted for her that year and it really has been lovely to see how much the organization and her peers respect and appreciate her. People in this thread have mentioned that she now works for the organization and I hope we get to see some in the show about how that came about and what her work will be! Sad about all the vets, and I think they got more of a send-off this year and last year than I've seen in previous years, both on the show and with the goodbye videos on social media. It's a nice way to emphasize that these are individuals who bring something to the DCC and not just pretty Stepford mannequins with pom poms.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 14
On 8/10/2018 at 10:57 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I love the audition episodes because I feel like once we get into training camp, it's the same thing every week: rehearsal footage of the same dated dance moves featuring booty shaking (but the wholesome kind!), scared looks from TCCs while Kelli and Judy tell them they're not flexible/powerful enough (or that they're clunky/awkward), "mentoring" sessions with Melissa, talking heads from TCCs about how they're so nervous but the most important lifelong dream they've ever had is to wear the iconic DCC uniform and boots, more rehearsal footage featuring TCCs making mistakes, and then TCCs getting called into Kelli's office trying not to pee themselves while they wait to find out if tonight is their last night.

And the tears....the rivers of tears. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, M1977G said:

I get all the criticisms but I still just love this show--it's my guilty pleasure. I did almost puke when VK and TK did their ridiculously cheesy air guitar crap. VK has been shown winking at the camera two or three times already and is just such an immature and attention-grabbing ham that I find her so annoying that I'm nearly offended by it all.

One of my very favorite moments came during the kick line audition sequence, when Judy went, "Oooo, struggle bus!" I think I nearly cried laughing and I'm going to figure out how to work that phrase into conversation.

You are not the only one offended by that. The one thing I am glad about is that VK did not get interviewed again, but both her and Tina are camera hogs.

Yeah, I am borrowing that struggle bus phrase. :)

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

You are not the only one offended by that. The one thing I am glad about is that VK did not get interviewed again, but both her and Tina are camera hogs.

Yeah, I am borrowing that struggle bus phrase. :)

I use fluff and puff myself:)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, VintageJ said:

See this is what makes me mad.  Just because you are the director or whatever your title is, the final decisions throughout the entire audition process should be up to Kelli and Judy.  They are the directors and choreaographer.  They have the expertise to evaluate the dancers to decide who is best for the team.  Has Charlotte ever danced?  Cheered?  No one should be able to get to finals or training camp because Charlotte likes them if they are not able to impress Judy especially and Kelli.  They are the two that have to work with them day in and day out and it would not be fair that they have to make a struggler that they don’t want there to work because Charlotte likes them. They are the ones that answer to the fans if DCC sucks.  All I need you to do is write the checks.  Go eat a sandwich and gain a few pounds.  Like Kelli said, 5 pounds will take 5 years off.

Charlotte is Kelly's boss, she is the head of the DCC. Regardless of her experience, she knows what she wants and sometimes that is clouded by outside factors, but she also deserves a say. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, VintageJ said:

See this is what makes me mad.  Just because you are the director or whatever your title is, the final decisions throughout the entire audition process should be up to Kelli and Judy.  They are the directors and choreaographer.  They have the expertise to evaluate the dancers to decide who is best for the team.  Has Charlotte ever danced?  Cheered?  No one should be able to get to finals or training camp because Charlotte likes them if they are not able to impress Judy especially and Kelli.  They are the two that have to work with them day in and day out and it would not be fair that they have to make a struggler that they don’t want there to work because Charlotte likes them. They are the ones that answer to the fans if DCC sucks.  All I need you to do is write the checks.  Go eat a sandwich and gain a few pounds.  Like Kelli said, 5 pounds will take 5 years off.

Charlotte is Dallas Cowboys' Executive Vice President and Chief Brand Officer.  She is ultimately responsible for how the DCC represent the Cowboys brand.  I don't think Charlotte would put anyone on the team that she thought would hurt the brand, even if she likes them.

• Love 3

I finally got to watch this episode...some late-to-the-party thoughts:

I’m with the weatherman judge and this board as far as VK goes. A s******, out of control dancer who knows how to get some attention with her looks and extension-filled hair.

On the topic of hair, I’m seriously considering requesting a cut like MRS’s. I hate her mentor role, but that haircut looks incredible!

The background sob stories need to go. And while I thought Jinelle was a fine cheerleader, the hyper-focus on her retirement with rivers of tears did nothing for me. I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but the way Jinelle was presented, you’d think she was the first person to retire and feel sad about it.  I’d much prefer a subtle approach, such as Whitney Isleib’s impromptu tears while getting dolled up for her last photo shoot.

And a big BYE FELICIA to Cersten.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I finally got to watch this episode...some late-to-the-party thoughts:

I’m with the weatherman judge and this board as far as VK goes. A s******, out of control dancer who knows how to get some attention with her looks and extension-filled hair.

On the topic of hair, I’m seriously considering requesting a cut like MRS’s. I hate her mentor role, but that haircut looks incredible!

The background sob stories need to go. And while I thought Jinelle was a fine cheerleader, the hyper-focus on her retirement with rivers of tears did nothing for me. I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but the way Jinelle was presented, you’d think she was the first person to retire and feel sad about it.  I’d much prefer a subtle approach, such as Whitney Isleib’s impromptu tears while getting dolled up for her last photo shoot.

And a big BYE FELICIA to Cersten.

The segment with Whitney made me cry.  She's one of my faves.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

The segment with Whitney made me cry.  She's one of my faves.

I enjoyed that segment with Whitney too, she was a great cheerleader. Once thing I noticed about her with my rewatch of all the seasons is that she looked great every single year she was on the squad, I think she may have looked even prettier her 5th than when she began 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, MelissaB326 said:

I enjoyed that segment with Whitney too, she was a great cheerleader. Once thing I noticed about her with my rewatch of all the seasons is that she looked great every single year she was on the squad, I think she may have looked even prettier her 5th than when she began 

A lot of them do.  They are pretty girls, but I think learning how to do your makeup, having professional advice of what shade of blonde or red looks good on you, developing the poise and self confidence that a lot of them do - it goes a long way.  

• Love 6

I do think some extra consideration should be given to legacies, but Kelli and Charlotte calling Victoria sharp, clean, and a strong candidate is laughable. The judge who called Victoria out for being sloppy, soft, and out of control was spot on. They obviously like Victoria as a person because of their friendship with her mother, but their inability to be objective about her dancing is really unprofessional and unfair to the other girls. 

How on earth did Erin make it to finals? She doesn't have the look and her dancing was terrible with major memory and technique issues, which were the same things she was cut for in training camp last year.

Brennan looked good, but she always auditions well and then they don't like her as a performer in training camp because they don't like her face and think she struggles with the DCC style. I think they need to stop wasting her time unless they are absolutely certain they want her on the team. 

Dayton is really pretty without being trashy looking. She has a look that is unique (in a good way) for the DCC. Her dancing, like Victoria's, didn't really blow me away. Victoria was out of control to the point of looking s******. Dayton had the opposite problem. She looked like she was marking it and like her heart just isn't in it. I wonder if she really even wants to be a DCC, or if she is just trying out to humor her mom. My impression of Dayton was that she would welcome the opportunity to be a DCC if she made it, but isn't going to go out of her way to make it happen.

With legacies, I feel like if a legacy is right on the cusp, they should take them, even if it means taking a larger team. I don't think they should give a legacy a spot they didn't earn if it means booting someone who did earn it to make room. But I am in favor of taking a squad of 38 instead of 36 so they can tack on two legacies who otherwise wouldn't have made the team, unless they're just so bad that there's no possible way they can keep up. That being said, I don't think they are doing legacies any favors by spewing BS about how they're amaaaaazing dancers at the top of the pack when that's clearly not the case. I would prefer if they said something like, "Victoria was sloppy and out of control, but she's a legacy, so we're going to give her the courtesy of an invitation to finals. BUT if she makes it to training camp, she'll have to fix that to earn her spot."

Finally, I think the kick line needs to be done in the first round, and if you can't kick, you're out. Everyone trying out for DCC knows that they do kick line. There's no excuse for showing up to tryouts unable to kick. A girl who can't kick at tryouts is either lazy or incapable, and there's no point in wasting her time or Kelli and Judy's time by putting her in training camp.

Edited by blairwaldorf
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, blairwaldorf said:

I would prefer if they said something like, "Victoria was sloppy and out of control, but she's a legacy, so we're going to give her the courtesy of an invitation to finals. BUT if she makes it to training camp, she'll have to fix that to earn her spot."

giphy.gif

• Love 10

I totally agree with @blairwaldorf.  The kickline should be done in the first round.  If you can't do the kickline there's no need to waste anyone's time in semis or finals.  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

A lot of them do.  They are pretty girls, but I think learning how to do your makeup, having professional advice of what shade of blonde or red looks good on you, developing the poise and self confidence that a lot of them do - it goes a long way.  

Crystal Trevino definitely left looking better than when she started. 

Whitney totally grew as a woman during her five years. Love her. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, PrincessLeia said:

Crystal Trevino definitely left looking better than when she started. 

Whitney totally grew as a woman during her five years. Love her. 

I loved Whitney!!  

• Love 3

I am loving the Whitney love! I remember K and J talking about she always gives it a little extra.  Beautiful dancer!  Whitney had the sass at point and beautiful solos and dance in show group.

There are a lot of examples of looking better as time goes on Jinelle being one of them.  The makeup for her and filling out.  Cassie who seemed to be a tomboy/no frills became better at makeup and hair.  You can make any girl next door look glamorous with the right makeup and hair.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Lexusprincess said:

I am loving the Whitney love! I remember K and J talking about she always gives it a little extra.  Beautiful dancer!  Whitney had the sass at point and beautiful solos and dance in show group.

There are a lot of examples of looking better as time goes on Jinelle being one of them.  The makeup for her and filling out.  Cassie who seemed to be a tomboy/no frills became better at makeup and hair.  You can make any girl next door look glamorous with the right makeup and hair.

Melissa Kellerman comes to mind. When I rewatch her rookie season, she looks pretty but very young. By her final season, she is a stunning woman. 

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, GBPackersfan said:

Melissa Kellerman comes to mind. When I rewatch her rookie season, she looks pretty but very young. By her final season, she is a stunning woman. 

I have to agree with you.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, blairwaldorf said:

How on earth did Erin make it to finals? She doesn't have the look and her dancing was terrible with major memory and technique issues, which were the same things she was cut for in training camp last year.

YESSSSSSS. I can’t believe she made the cut, especially since she showed zero improvement from her performance last year. I suspect they are looking at her as an easy training camp cut with a semi-interesting comeback storyline.

Edited by 123DCCWoooo
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Kayce said:

I totally agree with @blairwaldorf.  The kickline should be done in the first round.  If you can't do the kickline there's no need to waste anyone's time in semis or finals.  

Yes!! 

• Love 1

I thought Mia was one of the best examples of a girl dancer growing into a beautiful talented woman and dancer. She was cute her rookie year but every year she looked prettier and prettier.

That said ... my thoughts on episode 2

Amy T looked fantastic in the half a second clip of her. 

I love Phil and have no problem with the mid audition dance parties.  I JUST DON'T WANT TO SEE IT!

I was drawn to Jayln, Amber, and Gabby and they have an appeal that looks promising.

Gabby's little white dog stole my heart!!!

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

I thought Mia was one of the best examples of a girl dancer growing into a beautiful talented woman and dancer. She was cute her rookie year but every year she looked prettier and prettier.

That said ... my thoughts on episode 2

Amy T looked fantastic in the half a second clip of her. 

I love Phil and have no problem with the mid audition dance parties.  I JUST DON'T WANT TO SEE IT!

I was drawn to Jayln, Amber, and Gabby and they have an appeal that looks promising.

Gabby's little white dog stole my heart!!!

I'm a big fan of Gabby!!  I think she is absolutely adorable!!!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I'm 110% OVER Phil.  I loved him in previous seasons, but he's just too over-the-top now.

His over-the-top actions has to do with CMT wanting more excitement on the show by having Phil and the girls be more excited when he brings out the board and waiting to know who will move on to Semi-Finals and Finals. It is not Phil's fault.

1 hour ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I'm 110% OVER Phil.  I loved him in previous seasons, but he's just too over-the-top now.

I agree.  It's like the producers saw that people liked Phil so they decided to expand his role and it's really been expanded too much.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:35 PM, UnicornKicks said:

Papa Kalina has $$$$ tied in with the Cowboys. Charlotte would not give an eff about Tina being an old DCC if they didn't have money tied up in the org now.

100%. Investors or possible investors will get you on the bestie list with Charlotte #yuko #milan #kelseybond.

That's weird because, for irrelevant reasons, I've seen the house they live in and it's *extremely* modest.  I'm kind of shocked that Tina's husband/Victoria's dad would be any sort of player.

Sorry, I don't know where this bold type came from!

Edited by Pink-n-Green
  • Love 1

I know this will never happen with CMT around, but if the only goal is to have the best team, then they need to get rid of open call and have a first round video submission instead. They could then invite the best to a 3-5 day mini camp where they could judge technique, watch them learn choreo, do interviews, take photos, etc. They could get a better sense of who is mature and hard working and who are the problem children. From there they can announce TC. Of course, without CMT, maybe a mini camp is all they really need to pick a team.

Also, if Jinelle sticks around, couldn't she be an All Star? If so she would still wear the uniform and perform occasionally, which would be a good compromise,

On 8/12/2018 at 9:04 AM, caffeinez said:

I was interested that they showed Phil’s title as “Stadium Ambassador”—googled it and was surprised to learn the breadth of his job duties.  He helps curate the artwork installed in Cowboys stadium and leads stadium tours.  Nice to see such a wholesome guy get these opportunities.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ATT-Stadiums-Art-Curator-263756011.html

Absolutely. This. ^^

On 8/11/2018 at 9:25 AM, Law Mom said:

I remember last year thinking Brianna had a really good head on her shoulders and she was super likeable.

Same here! Plus, she looks stronger this year, leaner. She came back much improved, which is exactly what you should do if you're going to try out for the DCC a second time. (E.g. "The new and improved Sunni" from season 4)

20 hours ago, sATL said:

Nick Flores ears sticking out ... hmmm. I;m so busy looking at them I can't focus on what point he is trying to say... 

9 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

And those close together eyes.

I can overlook both of those things. But I cannot forgive his saying "Eckspecially."

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Bubbetv said:

They love to inflate the numbers about audition candidates. I wonder if they don’t have early kick line because it would mean they can’t find 100 women to go to the next round.

If you watch the first ep. of Season #3, the number of contestants at prelims is more. WAY more. What amazes me is back then, so many of the girls show up with minimal makeup, yuck hair and plain outfits. Things have changed considerably since then.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Kayce said:

but that would mean teaching the kick-line to 400+ candidates...

And I guess part of the "test" is not only one can kick to their nose/forehead... but can you kick after a 4 minute dance ?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Law Mom said:

I know this will never happen with CMT around, but if the only goal is to have the best team, then they need to get rid of open call and have a first round video submission instead. They could then invite the best to a 3-5 day mini camp where they could judge technique, watch them learn choreo, do interviews, take photos, etc. They could get a better sense of who is mature and hard working and who are the problem children. From there they can announce TC. Of course, without CMT, maybe a mini camp is all they really need to pick a team.

Also, if Jinelle sticks around, couldn't she be an All Star? If so she would still wear the uniform and perform occasionally, which would be a good compromise,

Agree. Its a waste of everyone involved time to fool with 400+ women when at the end of the day, you are going to to "get real" with 100. I suspect many you can put "put aside" due to experience, recommendations, figure/picture, and yes a video submission - freestyle, kicks, and published choreographed routine that contain all of the dance elements/DCC style, all shot in one take - each - ie no editing.

Actually - technology does exist where the candidate can request to view the choreographed dance to be seen, step by step, then have x-hours/minutes to record and hit enter. Have the "test" done at one of those testing centers that has a private room, since there will be dancing and music. Judy keeps stating they learn a dance a night - but they rehearse for how long 3-6 hrs ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, sATL said:

And I guess part of the "test" is not only one can kick to their nose/forehead... but can you kick after a 4 minute dance ?

Then perhaps some sort of flexibility test or requirment. given the whole thing is on youtube anyway, its not like it would be hard to go to the audition prepped in the knowledge of what the kickline entails, hell it could be made a requirment of application and it at very least be tested solo BEFORE the first round of auditions. if you can't get the kicks before 4 minutes of dance, you won't get them after so then can be cut

• Love 1
On 8/11/2018 at 5:42 PM, sleepyjean said:

I believe this is the first time on the show she has ever mentioned using an actual numerical scoring system. Or am I just not remembering? I have so many questions about this. I assume when she says "We" have to to the numbers, she's talking about herself, Judy, and Charlotte.

Kelli had said it for years when they are deliberating with the judges (semis and finals).

On 8/11/2018 at 8:35 PM, UnicornKicks said:

100%. Investors or possible investors will get you on the bestie list with Charlotte #yuko #milan #kelseybond.

Wow. Who knew?

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, sATL said:

Teaching a basic kickline is not difficult. Have them do 10 eight-counts of straight kicks and then get into both left and right splits from a standing position. 

Edited by blairwaldorf
fix typo
3 hours ago, Law Mom said:

1 hour ago, sATL said:

It would take a long time to watch several hundred video submissions.

In the NBA world, it is common to have the first round of auditions be an across-the-floor combination that is essentially a skills test. A couple of battements, a piroutte, a leap, maybe a tilt or something. It goes very fast. They are able to see very quickly who has a basic level of skills, who can learn fast, who has the right look, and the right physique. I know with the Laker Girls, the groups go one right after another, with no breaks between, and when the candidate gets to the end of the combination, she either gets a wristband and gets to stay, or she doesn't, and she has to go. It is only after that first round that they bother having the women line up for registration. It's how Paula Abdul was able to audition twice during the open call. It is ruthlessly efficient. Or at least it was...it's been a few years. I don't know if they still do it that way. But their old director Lisa always said it is a professional dance audition and she is looking for accomplished dancers who come in the door ready to do the job. She's not about finding makeover candidates or diamonds in the rough or people she has to coach to readiness.

I also know that the Luvabulls used to require you to submit an application in advance, and be approved before you were allowed show up to audition. No walk ins allowed. They weren't explicit about it, but obviously they were looking at your photo and resume and weeding people out that way before auditions even started.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, sATL said:

Agree. Its a waste of everyone involved time to fool with 400+ women when at the end of the day, you are going to to "get real" with 100. I suspect many you can put "put aside" due to experience, recommendations, figure/picture, and yes a video submission - freestyle, kicks, and published choreographed routine that contain all of the dance elements/DCC style, all shot in one take - each - ie no editing.

Actually - technology does exist where the candidate can request to view the choreographed dance to be seen, step by step, then have x-hours/minutes to record and hit enter. Have the "test" done at one of those testing centers that has a private room, since there will be dancing and music. Judy keeps stating they learn a dance a night - but they rehearse for how long 3-6 hrs ?

I SO agree with this!! 

They could maybe make it a part of the free dance - that it must include x beats of kicks and just have a couple fewer girls in each group on the floor at a time OR to see some sort of stamina, immediately after their free dance, each group has to line up together and perform kickline which could be taught upon arrival or at minimum full splits be a requirement at some point in their free dance. its amazing to me how many girls are obviously deeply uncomfortable in trying to get into splits. if they can't slide slowly into splits, they'll do themselves damage trying to do the jump split. and yet some seem to get through to finals and even TC without being able to comfortable sit in full split. HOW?!?

4 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

There's a bonus episode from Jenna's office visit up on facebook

I found that kind of uncomfortable to watch. Kelli seemed disingenuous, and Judy just had a stern look on her face. Not a big Jenna fan, but kudos to her for killing them with kindness and trying to keep a smile on her face.

• Love 7