Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09 Trippin

Original Airdate: 2018.07.31

The girls take a trip to Sutton’s hometown and meet a few important figures from her past. Meanwhile, Jane struggles with planning for her future, and Kat feels a rift in her relationship with Adena. Guest starring Billy Magnussen.

So... We basically they used Sutton having to come to terms with an alcoholic mother asking for another chance.. As yet another way to let us know... That Jane's mother is dead??.. Also Jane carries on with her emotional affair with the ex she wants but is sfearful he's too immature for her... All the while being hot and cold with the totally superb Ben... But to paraphrase what @mommalib said in another thread ... If there's a love triangle with a white guy and a MOC... The white guy is gonna win... Its already happened once on this show with Alex and Richard... Ah well.. Sutton was once again great wouldn't have minded more of her hometown and the denizens of that community... Kate and Adena were solid.. Coulda used more of Kathy explaining to Jacqueline and why killing the comments was a bad idea( I hate reading interesting articles and then not being able to comment).. But also why Jacqueline thought going that way was a solid move... Was it just to thwart "gamergate" type commentary.. Was it because of her write up in the new yorker.. Was she gun shy... Woulda been good with any of  these stories... Instead we watched Jane eat olives with not her boyfriend... 

Geesh Slate did an article on how this show has improved... Except for Jane.. So our msg board community isn't the only place where ppl are noticing. . here hoping season 3 has some course correction... AND MORE ALEX

• Love 2

Sutton's passport photo should have been declined, because you have to close your mouth. You can smile, but you can't show your teeth.

Drunk Jane is a lot more fun than sober Jane.

Why is up to Sutton to fix things with her mom? If her mom is truly sober, shouldn't she be doing some sort of amends? She said she's in AA. Why doesn't Babs call Sutton to touch base instead of vice versa? Ugh.

It was a nice touch they had Babs pronounce Houston Street wrong.

2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

why killing the comments was a bad idea

That was so dumb I can't believe Jacqueline did it. I can see restricting comments to certain articles, but none of them? For someone who gasses on about the Scarlet community, Jacqueline was really wrong. She should know the 1 percent of commenters can bring a lot of attention to a site.

I loved Alex saying the Scarlet web relaunch was as exciting as Y2K. Hee.

• Love 8

Jane continues to suck (except I’m loving the actress getting to sing because I forgot about her singing background and she’s fantastic). I love this show but she is really bringing it down. I love Pinstripe but poor Ben doesn’t deserve her immature shit and emotional cheating. Just dump him already and have more orgasmic sex with Pinstripe so we can be done with this triangle and maybe they can finally push her to the background. And who goes back to work drunk? 

Glad that Jacqueline got mad at Kat for going to Richard instead of not listening to her BOSS. She was getting too comfortable doing whatever she wanted. I’ve been seeing a lot of websites get rid of their comments section because of the trolls. 

Sutton’s storylines continue to kick ass. Liked her mom stuff, and felt sad for her listening to Richard and his girlfriend moving in together. She deserves her happy ending.

Is Kat going to get hit on by every lesbian that crosses her path this season?

Edited by twoods
  • Love 7

Sutton doesn’t have a passport a week before she’s supposed to go to Paris? I don’t think so.

Oh. Adena is back.

Is Kat some kind of lesbian magnet now?

Suttons mom, just an FYI, but in New York it’s pronounced HOW-STEN street, not HYOO-STEN street. (Sutton just told her, so I guess everybody knows but it took me so long to figure out how to write the pronunciations that I’m keeping it in my post LOL)

Re: the comments being taken away. A lot of women's sites I used to frequent got rid of their commenting section because they became over run with MRA types, and that was before the 2016 election. I can only imagine the shit show that goes on now.  I don't know any online magazine/entertainment site that has a vibrant, intelligent commenting community anymore.  (Excluding this site.) Dlisted, maybe. But that's it.

I was surprised to see Billy Magnusson in this episode. I thought he was strictly a film actor now after Into The Woods and that Tom Hanks/Spielberg movie.  Who'd he piss off that he's back to doing one off appearances on random TV shows? Are they bringing him back?

Oh, look. Jaqueline is about to be replaced as EIC by someone younger at the same time they all head to Paris for Fashion Week. Where have I heard that storyline before???

giphy.gifN

Edited by sashayshante

Leave my beloved My Chemical Romance out of your mother issues, Sutton! They did nothing wrong! 

Really have to wonder how getting a passport in under a week is going to work. I’m sure there’s an emergency provision that allows them to be granted in such a short time frame, but I’m equally sure that sending a fashion department assistant to Paris doesn’t qualify. 

• Love 5

You can get an expedited passport in a couple of days, you just have to pay through the nose for it. I don't think Sutton not having a passport is that unusual. Only 36 percent or so of Americans have one, and given that Sutton had no idea she would be going to Paris at this stage of her career, why would she spend the money for it?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, sashayshante said:

Re: the comments being taken away. A lot of women's sites I used to frequent got rid of their commenting section because they became over run with MRA types, and that was before the 2016 election. I can only imagine the shit show that goes on now.  I don't know any online magazine/entertainment site that has a vibrant, intelligent commenting community anymore.  (Excluding this site.) Dlisted, maybe. But that's it.

I was surprised to see Billy Magnusson in this episode. I thought he was strictly a film actor now after Into The Woods and that Tom Hanks/Spielberg movie.  Who'd he piss off that he's back to doing one off appearances on random TV shows? Are they bringing him back?

Oh, look. Jaqueline is about to be replaced as EIC by someone younger at the same time they all head to Paris for Fashion Week. Where have I heard that storyline before???

giphy.gifN

Billy is dating Sutton IRL so I think he popped in for fun.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

You can get an expedited passport in a couple of days, you just have to pay through the nose for it. I don't think Sutton not having a passport is that unusual. Only 36 percent or so of Americans have one, and given that Sutton had no idea she would be going to Paris at this stage of her career, why would she spend the money for it?

This. When my husband was invited to visit some friends in Germany, he had to get his passport renewed. He engaged the services of a company that would (for a $100 fee) would walk his paperwork from place to place and get it signed off. He had it in weeks time. Even if one doesnt travel out of the US often, its a good idea to have one, if only as a back up photo id. Its pricey but considering how long its good for, its worth it.

2 hours ago, katespencer1 said:

Eh, I know it's small but I'm kind of bored of shows casting IRL significant others as one-off characters and having their characters be totally not into each other for cast giggles. We get it, you bone IRL and think it's cute to pretend to bicker on set. Yawn. I'd love to have a career where I get a job at my SO's job for three days and get paid to just hang out with them and flirt in between takes.

As a bisexual woman incredibly keen to date women, it's unrealistic that there are lesbians waiting to jump in the sack with Kat wherever she goes...even in a random townie dive bar? That bartender looks about 15 years older than her and so did the woman she kissed in NYC. Maybe this season is about Kat discovering she likes older women lol.

Kat and Sutton off on their own without Jane...Kat feeling emotionally distant from Adena...the sudden decision to close their relationship and therefore reopen the door for cheating drama...Sutton pining for Richard...Kat and Sutton are going to hook up next week, y'all. I can feel it.

Drunk Jane is the only tolerable Jane. Must milquetoast dudes win out every time over all the hot MOC on this show? With that said, imo, I much prefer a Ben/Jane/Pinstripe love triangle to a Jane/Ben/Sutton triangle as some were predicting.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Why is up to Sutton to fix things with her mom? If her mom is truly sober, shouldn't she be doing some sort of amends? She said she's in AA. Why doesn't Babs call Sutton to touch base instead of vice versa? Ugh.

Babs did say she had called Sutton a few times but Sutton never picked up, to which Sutton replied "I've been busy."

5 hours ago, jenrising said:

I'm trying to figure out if this show wants me to hate Jane. There has to be some reason for her becoming so completely insufferable this season. "At least you have a mom" ???? 

Shades of Phoebe Buffay, except that Phoebe playing the dead mom card was done for comic relief. Jane randomly singing reminded me of old (80s/90s) shows that would have a cast member randomly sing for no other reason than that they apparently could carry a tune. I found it nearly impossible to believe that Jane wrote a story on her iPhone on the trip back to NYC instead of passing out in the back seat. At what point of her drunken road trip did she find time to make the major decision to freeze her eggs?

1 hour ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

As a bisexual woman incredibly keen to date women, it's unrealistic that there are lesbians waiting to jump in the sack with Kat wherever she goes...even in a random townie dive bar?

As a straight woman, I am really wondering about this. Until she was 25 or so, Kat identified as straight (from what we were told early in S1). So now that she's with a woman, suddenly she gives off lesbian vibes to every lesbian with whom she comes in contact? Is this a real thing? And is she off dick for good? 

As for her professional life, wouldn't it be Kat's job to oversee the launch of the new digital site? And if so, why did she head out on a road trip in the middle of the launch day? These girls seem to be able to come and go as they please from work. Kat is sooo immature, personally and professionally. I would love a storyline where she loses both Adena and her job and actually is forced to grow up. 

It was nice to see Jacqueline a little vulnerable and less than perfect. 

9 hours ago, sashayshante said:

giphy.gifN

And her would-be replacement's name was...

• Love 3

I wonder if they will go the Sutton/Ben route soon (maybe as a cliffhanger). Ben sad over getting dumped by Jane and Sutton sad about Richard getting engaged and they both get drunk and sleep together. It would bring the drama, and I enjoyed their chemistry at the photo shoot (I thought he was going to be Sutton’s love interest, not Jane’s). 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

As a straight woman, I am really wondering about this. Until she was 25 or so, Kat identified as straight (from what we were told early in S1). So now that she's with a woman, suddenly she gives off lesbian vibes to every lesbian with whom she comes in contact? Is this a real thing? And is she off dick for good? 

As for her professional life, wouldn't it be Kat's job to oversee the launch of the new digital site? And if so, why did she head out on a road trip in the middle of the launch day? These girls seem to be able to come and go as they please from work. Kat is sooo immature, personally and professionally. I would love a storyline where she loses both Adena and her job and actually is forced to grow up. 

It was nice to see Jacqueline a little vulnerable and less than perfect. 

I think it's just wish fulfillment for closeted or unlucky gay/bisexual viewers lol. Like you decide you like girls and suddenly every lesbian within a 100 mile radius knows you like women and wants to have sex with you due to your swaggy lesbian essence. It is NOT like that in real life. Very casual sex with friends or maybe strangers is a thing in queer circles, but you have to go on apps or go to concerts of lesbian/bi artists to meet new women to date. I've never known anyone who meets that many people to date/bang in every setting they're in unless they're very androgynous and even then, it's random chance.

See I think the opposite of Jacqueline. For the EIC of in-universe Cosmo, she spends a lot of time kowtowing to 26-year-old subordinates. Making Kat right about the comment thing and therefore justifying her undermining Jacqueline's authority was embarrassing. 

• Love 2

they're trying to make Jacqueline look out of touch to support the will they/won't they replace her story line. It's a very sudden left turn and it just didn't work for me. I think maybe they were trying to lead up to it with the conflict between Jacqueline and the new board member, but it all feels really choppy and uneven, story-wise. Had they brought this up earlier in the season and then built on it, maybe it would have created more tension. There's no tension. She won't be fired, and if she is, she'll come back the way Jane did.

• Love 7

As someone from PA who went to college in central PA and who has been to Harrisburg numerous times: the driving scenery was OK, although why Sutton was on two-lane roads so often was a bit odd - Route 78, which is 4-6 lanes, runs straight from Newark airport to Harrisburg. Also, Harrisburg is quite urban. I guess she could live outside it, but the bowling alley/small town vibe they were going for was definitely more outside (and would have fit in well for towns in central PA).

Just my two cents - I'm always intrigued by how my state is portrayed in TV shows that clearly film elwewhere. The Office gave it good effort but I frequently spotted Palm trees in driving sequences!

Where does Bold Type film? Canada?

• Love 1

Drunk Jane is clearly a fun Jane. Well, a less annoying Jane. Really, I think having three "Jane is an entitled jerk to everyone in her life" episodes right in a row was a real problem for her character. I liked Jane just fine last season, but this season, even when she is less annoying, she still gets on my nerves. Yes Jane, bring up your dead mom again, you haven't done that in the last fifteen minutes! And her emotional affair with Pinstripe is so unfair to Ben, its rather sad to watch. 

Wow, Kat with the magical lady loving vibes! She realizes that she is into women as well as men, and now gaydars are going off all around the country! I am glad that Kat stopped with the dating around, it was clear that another of them were really alright with it. But now Adena seems like she still has some issues, so who knows? Seriously, can they not get one episode where they can just do couple stuff without drama?

The deleting of the comments was a bad call, and a rare misstep from Jacqueline. Maybe delete comments on controversial articles or if there really are tons of trolls, but getting rid of all of them makes them look either thin skinned, or uncaring of their fans. 

Its great to see Sutton get some wins, and her hard work paying off! I figured that her mom would show up eventually, and I think this could be a good story for her. I dont blame her for not wanting to give her mom a chance, and risk having her heart broken again, but it was nice when she gave her a chance. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jillybean said:

As for her professional life, wouldn't it be Kat's job to oversee the launch of the new digital site? And if so, why did she head out on a road trip in the middle of the launch day?

I think she's just the social media editor, so probably not technically in charge of the website. It's unclear if there's a separate website editor or if it's just Jaqueline.  Still, it sounded like Kat was involved and it was a big enough deal that she should have been there.

Meanwhile, I think most media sites getting rid of their comments would be pretty non-controversial these days, because most people understand that they're garbage fires that undermine articles and are nightmare to moderate. But there are still sites some where the comments threads are well loved and well trafficked: like many of the old Gawker network sites, AV Club, and until recently The Awl etc. So I guess I can buy that Scarlett has that kind of culture?

I liked Drunk Jane. But they keep trying to find excuses to have these girls sing and, yeah, they have good voices, but they're unrealistically good and it takes me out of the show. 

12 hours ago, retrograde said:

But they keep trying to find excuses to have these girls sing and, yeah, they have good voices, but they're unrealistically good and it takes me out of the show. 

The part I found most unrealistic about it in this episode was that a band of 20-something dude-bros knew how to play that song. 

I'm really not a fan of where they're going with Pinstripe. The whole "cad reformed by the love of a good woman" trope is so tired and toxic. It was so refreshing earlier in the season when Jane acknowledged that going back to Pinstripe was pointless even though they had great chemistry because they weren't looking for the same thing, but now they seem pretty intent on undoing that. I don't know, I feel like last season the show did a better job in general of steering around the obvious tropes and cliches. 

Athough, points for not going down the road of having one of the explicit photos Kat was showing off to the girls at the start of the episode accidentally wind up on the new Scarlet site.

• Love 8
On 8/1/2018 at 12:45 PM, katespencer1 said:

You just made my soap opera loving heart very happy! I had no idea they were together. Love them both since their respective ATWT and OLTL days.

On 8/1/2018 at 8:56 PM, Moxie Cat said:

As someone from PA who went to college in central PA and who has been to Harrisburg numerous times: the driving scenery was OK, although why Sutton was on two-lane roads so often was a bit odd - Route 78, which is 4-6 lanes, runs straight from Newark airport to Harrisburg. Also, Harrisburg is quite urban. I guess she could live outside it, but the bowling alley/small town vibe they were going for was definitely more outside (and would have fit in well for towns in central PA).

Just my two cents - I'm always intrigued by how my state is portrayed in TV shows that clearly film elwewhere. The Office gave it good effort but I frequently spotted Palm trees in driving sequences!

I've lived in PA for a good portion of my life and I quickly dismissed the highways they were on as unrealistic for the route they'd be taking as well. There were two shots in particular when I was like, okay, well that's not accurate.

I personally don't consider Harrisburg urban enough throughout for this episode setting to be a red flag. I was just there last month for a funeral and this would've fit in fine with the area I visited, and I was in Harrisburg, not outside. So, that part didn't bother me or ring untrue. Now The Office drove me crazy with their inaccurate PA geography usage.

The Bold Type shoots mainly in Montreal.

I can hand wave the driving scenes. It's boring to show them on interstates, so using the more local routes was fine with me. I understand why geographical inaccuracies drive people crazy—don't tell me they're driving west when they're clearly going north, for example—but here the point wasn't the scenery. 

To be fair, I've seen worse. What drives me really nuts is when a show tries to sub scenery that's clearly brushy California for any number of other locations and doesn't even try to hide it.

• Love 1

Ugh... this show! I just want to see Jacqueline, Sutton, Alex, and Oliver with a sprinkling of cutie pie Ben.  How the hell are these girls able to take so much time off with no notice?  I get that Sutton may be here/there for Oliver errands but this is crazy.  I REALLY disliked drunk Jane.  I kept secretly hoping they'd get pulled over and arrested for smoking (hoping one of the states they passed through wasn't marijuana friendly).  What! Jane's mother passed away? insert full body eyeroll.  Ok, we get it... 

The show isn't even in season three and the main characters are turning into caricatures of themselves.  

Kat isn't sexually immature, she's just immature.  Sheesh... can't your gf work on something without it being a deal?

• Love 3
On 8/2/2018 at 3:02 PM, Bubbles said:

The part I found most unrealistic about it in this episode was that a band of 20-something dude-bros knew how to play that song. 

SO MUCH THIS!!! I'm so sure Torn is on their regular gig list. Was it supposed to be live band karaoke instead of just a band playing? Then maybe. But still!

• Love 3
On 8/6/2018 at 12:56 PM, CurlyATX said:

Ugh... this show! I just want to see Jacqueline, Sutton, Alex, and Oliver with a sprinkling of cutie pie Ben.  How the hell are these girls able to take so much time off with no notice?  I get that Sutton may be here/there for Oliver errands but this is crazy.  I REALLY disliked drunk Jane.  I kept secretly hoping they'd get pulled over and arrested for smoking (hoping one of the states they passed through wasn't marijuana friendly).  What! Jane's mother passed away? insert full body eyeroll.  Ok, we get it... 

The show isn't even in season three and the main characters are turning into caricatures of themselves.  

Kat isn't sexually immature, she's just immature.  Sheesh... can't your gf work on something without it being a deal?

All of this.

And...Jane emotionally blackmails Sutton to get Sutton to do what Jane wants to do, AGAIN. Yes, Jane. We get it; your mom died, but even you admit you were too young to remember her. What's more emotionally scarring:

(a) a mom that you don't remember and growing up without one in a loving household being raised by a different relative

or

(b) continuing to see your mom repeatedly breaking promises by putting other people ahead of you, including random strangers

I haven't watched the season finale yet, but I'm kind of dreading it based on the downward spiral the writing has taken this season.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

All of this.

And...Jane emotionally blackmails Sutton to get Sutton to do what Jane wants to do, AGAIN. Yes, Jane. We get it; your mom died, but even you admit you were too young to remember her. What's more emotionally scarring:

(a) a mom that you don't remember and growing up without one in a loving household being raised by a different relative

or

(b) continuing to see your mom repeatedly breaking promises by putting other people ahead of you, including random strangers

I haven't watched the season finale yet, but I'm kind of dreading it based on the downward spiral the writing has taken this season.

I rewatched the episode and I was SO furious when i heard this. Sutton had to fend for herself as a kid. She was on her own with an addict for a mother. She had no support growing up and still struggles. But yes, of course she’s so much luckier than poor Jane who grew up in a loving home with dad and her brothers. I really hate Jane after this season.

• Love 6

Has anyone else watched 'Follow This' on Netflix and thought that Jane would be so much more interesting if she where like the journalists on this show? (its a show about Buzzfeed writers chasing a wide variety of current, and sometimes weird, stories)

On 8/1/2018 at 8:56 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I went to Harrisburg once and even I was like, eh, it's not a small place...

Whenever they want to film my state they always shoot in Romania and dress everyone like turn of the century (as in the 20th century, not the 21st).

On 8/12/2018 at 1:40 PM, dreamcatcher said:

I rewatched the episode and I was SO furious when i heard this. Sutton had to fend for herself as a kid. She was on her own with an addict for a mother. She had no support growing up and still struggles. But yes, of course she’s so much luckier than poor Jane who grew up in a loving home with dad and her brothers. I really hate Jane after this season.

A lot of people think the way they had it was worse. Jane reminds me of my husband, whose father died when he was nine. He has it built up in his head what life would've been like with his dad, and of course his whole family talks about him like he was a saint. Not that that is necessarily bad or untrue (if slighty exaggerated, I'm sure) but building a whole fantasy life in your head of what "might have been" can make people sanctimonious about what they've been through versus others. Not saying that any of it is right or wrong, just that I get where both Sutton and Jane are coming from.

• Love 1