Type keyword(s) to search

The Conners: Speculation and Spoilers

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I saw the promo and was I hallucinating? Was that DEAN? The guy that gave Darlene a ride to school Dean? The one that made Becky get all pissy with Darlene? (that got the ax off the original show)? 

Dean, Dean, the son-in-law machine?  I don't know, I haven't seen the promo and the character/actor isn't yet listed on the episode's IMDb page.

Apparently, the boyfriend is not only a Cheesehead, he's a "devout Christian".  What is Becky even doing with this guy?  He probably has some sort of Captain Save-a-Ho complex going on, wants to play happy family, and gets shown the door after one episode, but we'll see where they go with this - if he's a cartoon or a character. 

I look forward to the part where Dan tries to impress upon Mark that rooting for the Bears is a family tradition.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Ben without a beard?

Thank goodness!  (I hate facial hair, especially beards.)  Now if he drops the baby thing, too, I could really come around on his relationship with Darlene.

I have a feeling Nervous!Jackie with Jennifer Grey and Clark Gregg's characters is going to be hilarious:

154536_2693-450x0.jpg

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Pallas said:

They may also work a laugh out of that barely-there redress of the 714 Delaware living room set.

I was going to suggest another shout-out to Garvin Eddy (like back in the original series, when the Question Man asked who designed the kitchen and Dan said, "Some guy named Garvin Eddy"), but I realized this show has a different production designer.

• Love 2

Unfortunately for my eyes, he probably will grow it back - if the storyline is he shaved it to look more appealing to investors and everyone is making fun of his face, odds are it's only going to be a temporary change.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm not a huge beard/facial hair person, but some people can make it work, and I think Ben looked good with it. So I'd be fine with him growing it back eventually, too. 

Is this a rehash of when Roseanne talked Fred into shaving his beard? Cos I hated Fred's lack of beard/ goatee. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Is this a rehash of when Roseanne talked Fred into shaving his beard? Cos I hated Fred's lack of beard/ goatee. 

I agree. I liked him until then. After that he just looked like a milquetoast.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RocknRollZombie said:

No Mark hasn’t been given that treatment  he going to be back along with bev in the next episode. And he’s going to helping out at the lunch box.

Seem like once Mark pretty much realized he was gay and that his family pretty much excepts it. They kind of just focused on Harris lately. Not that she doesn't need "work" however they seem to have just thrown out Harris "friend" who was living on her own with her parents gone and so forth. 

• Love 4

In the description of next week's show, it says Bev decides she wants to contribute more to the family. If that means financially, how the hell much did she get for her house? We saw it and it wasn't all that. She gave the girls thousands of dollars, bought a retirement condo and bought into the Lunch Box. I know she sold her share to Leon but she couldn't have a bunch of money to throw around.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

In the description of next week's show, it says Bev decides she wants to contribute more to the family. If that means financially, how the hell much did she get for her house? We saw it and it wasn't all that. She gave the girls thousands of dollars, bought a retirement condo and bought into the Lunch Box. I know she sold her share to Leon but she couldn't have a bunch of money to throw around.

Right, especially after she got thrown out of her retirement community. Magically, where did this money come from? Plus, as the Zombie Bev said: "So, I see you are taking my money and spending it on another get poor idea."

• Love 3

I know this show has long ago divorced themselves from reality. However, if it does come back, I would love for Jackie's restaurant to go under because of the corona virus. Then I am going to need Jackie to admit that forcing Darlene to give her the money for another scatterbrained idea was really stupid.

Of course, that will leave Jackie, Bev, and Becky practically penniless.  Also, Dan will always be on the brink of foreclosure, even if he is bailed out this one time.

Run, Ben, Run.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

I know this show has long ago divorced themselves from reality. However, if it does come back, I would love for Jackie's restaurant to go under because of the corona virus. Then I am going to need Jackie to admit that forcing Darlene to give her the money for another scatterbrained idea was really stupid.

Of course, that will leave Jackie, Bev, and Becky practically penniless.  Also, Dan will always be on the brink of foreclosure, even if he is bailed out this one time.

Run, Ben, Run.

Well, I think it also would be a great example of: "Well the 2008 killed us and now the virus killed our business. We SHOULD NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!" 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, readster said:

Well, I think it also would be a great example of: "Well the 2008 killed us and now the virus killed our business. We SHOULD NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!" 

I just re watched the Thanksgiving episode where Dan pressured Darlene to give in  to "keep the peace". This annoyed me to no end. It really was Jackie literally stomping her foot like an angry toddler (and slapping people) until she got her way.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

The Lunchbox seems like the kind of place that could maybe survive on take-out and delivery, especially since it's family owned without a big payroll.  Ben and Darlene's magazine idea should be dead on arrival, though.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, tessaray said:

The Lunchbox seems like the kind of place that could maybe survive on take-out and delivery, especially since it's family owned without a big payroll.  Ben and Darlene's magazine idea should be dead on arrival, though.  

Then they might have Darlene ask Aunt Jackie for a job. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

With the show resuming production, they have a lot of cliffhangers to resolve. Much like many banks and being in Illinois, things were put in hold for a while, and then add in the stimulas bill. Plus, people doing more "at home projects". I could see Dan with help from Ben with safety guides getting enough work to just keep the house from being foreclosed on. Plus, you could also add in that the Lunchbox went to curbside pick up and online orders using Mark's knowledge of coding and programming. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, readster said:

With the show resuming production, they have a lot of cliffhangers to resolve. Much like many banks and being in Illinois, things were put in hold for a while, and then add in the stimulas bill. Plus, people doing more "at home projects". I could see Dan with help from Ben with safety guides getting enough work to just keep the house from being foreclosed on. Plus, you could also add in that the Lunchbox went to curbside pick up and online orders using Mark's knowledge of coding and programming. 

The Rona will actually provide them valid real world reasons that they can stay in a house they have not managed to pay off in 50 years time that probably cost around 30 grand when they bought it in the seventies (maybe less)

• Love 5
13 hours ago, qtpye said:

The Rona will actually provide them valid real world reasons that they can stay in a house they have not managed to pay off in 50 years time that probably cost around 30 grand when they bought it in the seventies (maybe less)

Right and how banks and property managers had to waive evictions due to the pandemic. This would give Dan time to get money together and since he is in the target range of the virus, he would have to have others deliver or do grocery shopping for him until businesses moved to phase 3 in June. Giving Dan options for many home improvement projects people started in the summer. Sadly, I think the writers will use COVID-19 to explain how Dan didn't lose his house and why Darlene and the kids are still there. Plus, they can write off with Mark doing remote learning and Harris stuck working drop off/curb side for the Lunchbox. Let's just see if the writers are thinking like that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Can someone explain to me, seriously,  how you can have "Dancing with the Stars", Some Love Island thing (never watched, just saw a commercial) Plus other shows resuming IN Contact during Corona? But sitcoms etc are doing the quarantine shows (which I don't see how they are going to cut it, interest wise. All the quarantine shows I've seen have sucked). So how is one show just fine having no social distancing and others have to do quarantine style?

It all depends on the type of content,  regulations where filming is done and in some places, the state of the virus. The Conners is filming in CA, where they just have more restrictions in general, unlike the reality shows mentioned. Some sitcoms and dramas filmed in non-union states have also restarted production but we'll just have to see how they look when new stuff airs.

From the interviews linked to in the Media thread, the writers don't plan to focus exclusively on the pandemic but it will be woven into the stories. It should be interesting to see if not being shot in front of a studio audience affects the feel of the show.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 9/3/2020 at 10:01 AM, chediavolo said:

Can someone explain to me, seriously,  how you can have "Dancing with the Stars", Some Love Island thing (never watched, just saw a commercial) Plus other shows resuming IN Contact during Corona? But sitcoms etc are doing the quarantine shows (which I don't see how they are going to cut it, interest wise. All the quarantine shows I've seen have sucked). So how is one show just fine having no social distancing and others have to do quarantine style?

On the Reality shows at least, they are creating their own bubbles and requiring testing to prove your negative to film.  Those work for the 4-6 weeks it takes to film that kind of show.  DWTS is requiring that even married pros quarantine away from each other.

It’s a harder ask to require regular show crews to create a bubble for 7-8 months.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Saylii said:

On the Reality shows at least, they are creating their own bubbles and requiring testing to prove your negative to film.  Those work for the 4-6 weeks it takes to film that kind of show.  DWTS is requiring that even married pros quarantine away from each other.

It’s a harder ask to require regular show crews to create a bubble for 7-8 months.

Right and if you look at it too, you can at least get farther away with those reality shows, but even looking at dramas that are now filming, they are pretty much doing the same with even more limit with characters to create that distancing. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Saylii said:

Thank You!

I'm hoping that's somebody's dream sequence, because if that's real, I think I'm out.  I rolled with Becky's dumb-ass decision to parent, but this would be far worse (since she already has kids and was trying to get pregnant).

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I'm hoping that's somebody's dream sequence, because if that's real, I think I'm out.  I rolled with Becky's dumb-ass decision to parent, but this would be far worse (since she already has kids and was trying to get pregnant).

Plus, look how Harris turned out and how much Mark is treated. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Just saw the promo for the ep and I guess I can say our fears or what most of us didn’t want to happen is going to happen Darlene is pregnant. 😑

Where is the promo?  Did you see it on live TV?  Do I have to watch NBC all day in hopes of seeing the promo myself?  Let's pray Bastet is right about dream sequence, because this is jump the shark material.

Never mind.  I just saw it in the Lanford Lean Times.  RocknRollZombie, thank you for your service.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Update.
  • Love 3

I’ve seen the promo at least twice tonight while watching Super Market Sweep and Millionaire.  I mean, it won’t surprise me if it’s not a dream.  COVID babies are happening and in the preview Darlene makes a joke about not having health insurance (not sure why that’s funny).  Seems about right for this family.  

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 3

I’m hoping it is a false positive for Darlene or a dream sequence...another kid she can’t support.  Another person waiting to be evicted.  I used to love the Conners (the people), but 40 years of their dumb decisions have not only worn on them but have worn on me and I’m not even 40 yet.  I actively hate Darlene and her off spring.  I’m trying to still like Dan, Becky and Jackie are ok, and DJ, I actually like, probably because I barely see him on the show so they haven’t made him horrible and he was a sweet person the one time I met him.  Why can’t just one of them have a good life all around.  Nothing fancy just a stable job and stable relationship and make good life decisions.  No wonder Jerry never comes around and Andy has changed his identity, I wouldn’t want these people finding me either.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Just saw the promo for the ep and I guess I can say our fears or what most of us didn’t want to happen is going to happen Darlene is pregnant. 😑

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!😮😮

19 hours ago, readster said:

Plus, look how Harris turned out and how much Mark is treated. 

Not to mention they have no money, she hates her job (which might not last), and is living with her father who is about to be evicted.

So, of course...a great time to add a baby.

• Love 5

Okay so there is a promo for the new ep that is coming up and it mentions Becky dissecting a cat.....wasn’t original original Becky I put original twice because we all know there loose as heck with the timeline/traits and I mean core og Becky was against dissecting a frog and now all of a sudden in this promo ep this ‘new’ Becky is okay with dissecting a cat... 

She's grown out of her distaste?

• Love 2

Becky has gone through a lot of shit since her 13-year-old self thought flunking lab and bringing her Biology grade down from an A to a C was the stuff of terrible nightmares.  And since an already-dead frog being "hacked up" would be one of the worst things she'd seen.  Even if she's still opposed, she doesn't have the same luxury of protest she had back then; the academic performance stakes are much higher now.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Okay so there is a promo for the new ep that is coming up and it mentions Becky dissecting a cat.....wasn’t original original Becky I put original twice because we all know there loose as heck with the timeline/traits and I mean core og Becky was against dissecting a frog and now all of a sudden in this promo ep this ‘new’ Becky is okay with dissecting a cat... 

as the new character introduced is mike withers apparently a friend they had in high school who Becky was competitive  with in high school honor classes.

Maybe a potential future love interest for Becky?

Edited by qtpye
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/03/the-conners-episode-317-regrets-rehabs.html 

3x17: Regrets, Rehabs and Realtors Press release

Dan encounters a surprise visitor who shares some unsolicited advice, leaving him feeling guilty. Meanwhile, Darlene welcomes a new employee to Wellman Plastics on an all-new episode of “The Conners,” airing WEDNESDAY, APRIL 14 (9:00-9:30 p.m. EDT), on ABC. Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu. Guest starring is Iris Bahr as Rachel, Helen Eigenberg as Jerri Lynn, Christopher Alvarenga as Carlos and Mia Hunt as Patrice. “Regrets, Rehabs and Realtors” was written by Dave Caplan and directed by Lynda Tarryk.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Sooooooo Molly is back

I was hoping that would be the case, once I saw they'd cast a Mrs. Tilden.  And I like where they're going with it, per TVLine:

ABC announced Tuesday that Danielle Harris will reprise her Season 5 Roseanne role as Molly Tilden, AKA Darlene’s high school rival for David’s affection, in the April 7 episode of The Conners. Although Darlene and Molly were enemies back in the day, they find themselves 30 years later having had similar lives and become close.

We'll also get to see Candice Bergen as Ben's mom again in two more episodes. 

And Brian Austin Green will appear in two episodes as "Jeff, a quirky, free spirit traveler who lives out of his van".

• Love 6

My friend sent me an article of the new guest star for the episode and I couldn’t help but notice in the article the new store that will be in lanford is based off one in Los Angeles and myself being from Los Angeles searched it up since I have never heard of it. And it is a expensive tea place in the more wealthy parts of Los Angeles , it’s in Beverly Hills. 

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I saw a coming Christmas epi and Jackie comes in with what appears to be a BEER CAN TREE.--way to  go with a recovering alcoholic and Dan, the beer man.  I hope I imagined it.!

I think it was food cans. God, I hope it was,

• Love 1

That makes me think of the episode where folks are trying to get Dan into grief support after Roseanne's death, and Chuck tells him he knows what Dan is going through; Dan came back with a terrifically-delivered, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize Anne Marie was dead."

Their friendship went through a rough patch when Dan cut him out of a job to get the money for Roseanne's surgery, and we haven't seen him since they got into it about money again after Chuck bought a boat and wanted out of their partnership, but they talked things out at the end of that one.  So if Anne-Marie or Chuck Jr. is having a health crisis, it seems odd Dan wouldn't already know about it, unless it's very new.  (And certainly he'd know if one of them died.)

Oh, wait - didn't they retcon (surprise, surprise!) their relationship in that boat episode, writing it as a long-term business arrangement rather than a friendship?  So I guess they're going to have them as not talking/seeing each other much now that they're no longer working together.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have a feeling that Anne Marie dies.  I hope not, but based on the episode summary it seems it could be likely. I wonder if Chuck and Dan will rekindle their friendship or is this another nobody can be happy in Lanford 😔