Type keyword(s) to search

The Conners: Speculation and Spoilers

• Start Topic

Thanks for the details.  Ben can't go away fast enough for me, and I don't want Darlene with David, either, but have to accept it's all but inevitable since Sara sees that relationship quite differently than I do, so as long as there continue to be great moments of character interaction like there were last season and nothing straight-up offensive to her or women in general, I'll roll with it in order to enjoy the family dynamic.

I don't give a shit about Becky's baby storyline on the surface, either, but her relationship with Dan has been one of the highlights of this series, so that it yields more of that will likely be its saving grace.

• Love 4

We group spoilers and speculation because it can be hard to untangle them (and the best speculation comes from the tiniest of spoilers, IMO) but if the group wants an unspoiled speculation thread, I personally have no objections. 

Oops... we already have one.

• Love 2
On 8/20/2019 at 5:46 AM, bobalina said:

This could be a really good way to have John Goodman out of some episodes. Dan wanted to be a musician and this could be a second chance for him.

If Katey Sagal does come back (my heart!!) then maybe she and Dan can sing something together. I will die, but that would be awesome. A number by The Two Tops or One Dog Night or something.

• Love 5

They'll have to work hard to not undo, let alone top, "A Stash From the Past".

Among many other things, I love how the backdrop to that, and another episode, was that Darlene had (off-screen in the past) tried a few drugs as many people her age do, decided none of them were for her, and moved on; so much more refreshing than the Very Special Episode trope where experimentation is always a crisis.

So if they're going to go the teen drug use route this time, it had better be appropriately nuanced.  The handling of Harris having sex was in line with the original years, so hopefully this will be too.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

So if they're going to go the teen drug use route this time, it had better be appropriately nuanced.  The handling of Harris having sex was in line with the original years, so hopefully this will be too.

Yeah, I'm honestly not in the mood for a "weed is baaaaaddd" episode given that most states are at least legalizing medical marijuana so I hope it isn't that.

It's gotta be weird for the writers/cast that they're dealing with almost a full modern t.v. season after a first season of 8 episodes and a second season of 11 episodes. I think Dan will probably be absent in a few episodes given how in-demand John Goodman is. (Seriously, peep his IMDB page. Dude works a lot.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Emma Kenny celebrated her birthday on set on a live taping day. Katy Segal, the guy who plays Darlene’s boyfriend, Johnny Galecki, and James Pickens Jr were all in the background of the photos. So from the looks of it they will all be in the episode they just filmed. 

• Love 3

Here are the synopsis for episodes 2x03: The Preemie Monologues  & 2x04: Landford....Landford.

2x03: The Preemie Monologues 

Harris is forced to confront Darlene about her lifestyle, while Jackie involves herself in other people’s problems to avoid confronting her own. Meanwhile, Becky is overwhelmed by the costs of raising a baby, so her family steps in to help.

The series stars John Goodman as Dan Conner, Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris, Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner, Lecy Goranson as Becky Conner-Healy, Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner, Emma Kenney as Harris Conner-Healy, Ames McNamara as Mark Conner-Healy and Jayden Rey as Mary Conner.

The Conners - Episode 2.03 - The Preemie Monologues

Guest starring is Katey Sagal as Louise, James Pickens Jr. as Chuck and Dan Aykroyd as Buddy.

2x04: Landford....Landford

BAD LUCK AND POOR CHOICES ARE WHAT LANFORD LIFE IS ALL ABOUT 

Desperate for more income, Becky seeks a bartending position at Casita Bonita, causing major concern for Dan due to her struggle with alcoholism. Meanwhile, Darlene finally nears a decision between David and Ben; and Harris' new friend, Odessa, means new trouble on "The Conners," TUESDAY, OCT. 15 (8:00-8:30 p.m. EDT), on ABC. Episodes can also be viewed the next day on ABC.com, the ABC app and Hulu.

The series stars John Goodman as Dan Conner, Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris, Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner, Lecy Goranson as Becky Conner-Healy, Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner, Emma Kenney as Harris Conner-Healy, Ames McNamara as Mark Conner-Healy and Jayden Rey as Mary Conner.

2x04: Landford...Landford

Guest starring is Jay R. Ferguson as Ben, Katey Sagal as Louise and Eliza Bennett as Odessa.

I'm a little confused about the spoiler of Becky wanting to work at Casita Bonita I thought she already did w/ Louise??

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1

Hmm... well Becky was a waitress before, but now she wants to be the bartender.   

Interesting that we will finally see one of Harris’s friends.   We have seen a few of Mark’s but that’s it.   I would love a scene of just the grandchildren alone a few times.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Hmm... well Becky was a waitress before, but now she wants to be the bartender.   

Interesting that we will finally see one of Harris’s friends.   We have seen a few of Mark’s but that’s it.   I would love a scene of just the grandchildren alone a few times.   

Ah so Becky was a waitress before okay now I'm not confused anymore thanks for clearing that up!

Well, I'm still confused. We've seen Becky behind the bar serving drinks more than once, so while I believe a full-time bartending job pays more than a waitressing job, I don't know why the proximity to booze is a bigger concern now.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

Well, I'm still confused. We've seen Becky behind the bar serving drinks more than once, so while I believe a full-time bartending job pays more than a waitressing job, I don't know why the proximity to booze is a bigger concern now.

That is a a good point.

• Love 3

Waitresses mostly serve food and interact (at a brisk pace) with diners and the kitchen. Bartenders mix and serve drinks full-time, and spend their shifts serving drinkers, exclusively, often over hours and at close quarters. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Waitresses mostly serve food and interact (at a brisk pace) with diners and the kitchen. Bartenders mix and serve drinks full-time, and spend their shifts serving drinkers, exclusively, often over hours and at close quarters. 

Thanks for the explanation between the two.

Edited by ESS

More spoilers for Katey's upcoming episode.

https://tvline.com/2019/10/02/greys-anatomy-amelia-pregnant-season-16-spoilers/

Question: Excited Katey Sagal is returning to The Conners. Anything you can tease about her return? —Jeremy
Ausiello: It’s going to put Becky between a rock and a hard place, since Louise is both her boss and her father’s potential new lady friend. “It’s complicated, because she knows Louise has some kind of relationship with Dan,” Lecy Goranson explains. “And Becky and Dan are very close. [Also], Becky really needs to appeal to Louise because she really needs work. She needs shifts, she needs money. And that’s now the power gal who can give her that. Does she go through her dad to get to Louise? Or does she just approach her [directly]?”

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ESS said:

More spoilers for Katey's upcoming episode(s).

https://tvline.com/2019/10/02/greys-anatomy-amelia-pregnant-season-16-spoilers/

Question: Excited Katey Sagal is returning to The Conners. Anything you can tease about her return? —Jeremy
Ausiello: It’s going to put Becky between a rock and a hard place, since Louise is both her boss and her father’s potential new lady friend. “It’s complicated, because she knows Louise has some kind of relationship with Dan,” Lecy Goranson explains. “And Becky and Dan are very close. [Also], Becky really needs to appeal to Louise because she really needs work. She needs shifts, she needs money. And that’s now the power gal who can give her that. Does she go through her dad to get to Louise? Or does she just approach her [directly]?”

Here's another article that goes into a bit more details from the spoiler above:

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/2019/10/02/the-conners-sons-of-anarchy-alum-katey-sagal-return-means-trouble-one-becky-major-character/

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2019 at 1:07 AM, Bastet said:

They'll have to work hard to not undo, let alone top, "A Stash From the Past".

Among many other things, I love how the backdrop to that, and another episode, was that Darlene had (off-screen in the past) tried a few drugs as many people her age do, decided none of them were for her, and moved on; so much more refreshing than the Very Special Episode trope where experimentation is always a crisis.

OMG that was one of the best episodes ever!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, they're so cute together.

Yes they are!! I already shipped them from their first scenes back in season 1! I can't help it

Edited by ESS
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love Becky and Dan together so much. When she was a kid, their relationship was often strained but now they seem to understand each other perfectly. It's really natural now.

Yeah they seem very close now...I'm glad for that. It's so nice to see Louise in those photos too and some of her at the house that's gonna be very interesting to see. 

• Love 4

I LOVE Dan and Becky’s relationship now, it’s sooooo sweet, I remember there was an episode early on about his Darlene and Dan were closer, and Becky was closer to Roseanne.  But they have had excellent moments throughout the years and it’s lovely to see how close their bond is.  

• Love 4

I can't be the only one who looks at the "Lanford ... Lanford" (no D) title and hears season one Jackie in the mall groaning, "Lanford, Lanford"?  ("Cities in Illinois.")

Anyway, that logline is perfect: BAD LUCK AND POOR CHOICES ARE WHAT LANFORD LIFE IS ALL ABOUT

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Links to media reports about the show should be posted in the Media: Lanford, IL Patch topic, and may include a brief comment. Discussion and speculation around media reports belong here. Both are tagged for spoilers. Thanks!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Links to media reports about the show should be posted in the Media: Lanford, IL Patch topic, and may include a brief comment. Discussion and speculation around media reports belong here. Both are tagged for spoilers. Thanks!

Thanks for this I guess I'll have to edit my post and put the photos over into the other thread so I'll do that now.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

“David has a lot to say to you.”

Alright I can’t wait for this episode, will we finally see David with a backbone that will pretty much tell Darlene how he felt about the way she treated him then, & now.

I can only hope.

I hope so too.   I’m SUPER curious about what happens.   Also there is no episode the week following this one so I hope it doesn’t end on a cliffhanger haha.  

29 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

I hope so too.   I’m SUPER curious about what happens.   Also there is no episode the week following this one so I hope it doesn’t end on a cliffhanger haha.  

That sucks there's not a new episode after this one..

I hope Darlene saying she's been afraid to stop trying will lead to her finally acknowledging once and for all her romantic partnership with David is best left in the past, and the best thing for everyone - her, David, their kids - is to figure out the next stage of the family dynamic.  But I won't begin to hold my breath on that.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hope Darlene saying she's been afraid to stop trying will lead to her finally acknowledging once and for all her romantic partnership with David is best left in the past, and the best thing for everyone - her, David, their kids - is to figure out the next stage of the family dynamic.  But I won't begin to hold my breath on that.

Hmm you might be right about that line.   I was focusing more on “David has a lot to say to you”.   I guess we will see in a few days... or whenever this is resolved which is hopefully soon.  

• Love 1

Darlene's telling Jackie, "I'll always love David (shrug)" isn't exactly "Nelly, I am Heathcliff."  

Sara Gilbert is 44 and has two children by her former partner of ten years; they share custody of the children and PR went with "completely amicable" for the split. Gilbert was soon involved with her future wife, singer/Songwriter Hall-of-Famer, Linda Perry. I could see her advocating for Darlene's storyline to follow suit, with the intent of showing another feature of 21st-century American family life: one in which past spouses are present parents.

And I wonder if Johnny Galecki wants to step right back into even as much scheduling as a recurring role involves. Past that (if there's any getting there), he's also 44 and the survivor of important past romances, including one where he worked closely for another decade with his ex. He may strongly support his friend and boss in allowing Darlene and David to remain first loves, former-spouses, parents and family, apart.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Pallas said:

Darlene's telling Jackie, "I'll always love David (shrug)" isn't exactly "Nelly, I am Heathcliff."  

Sara Gilbert is 44 and has two children by her former partner of ten years; they share custody of the children and PR went with "completely amicable" for the split. Gilbert was soon involved with her future wife, singer/Songwriter Hall-of-Famer, Linda Perry. I could see her advocating for Darlene's storyline to follow suit, with the intent of showing another feature of 21st-century American family life: one in which past spouses are present parents.

And I wonder if Johnny Galecki wants to step right back into even as much scheduling as a recurring role involves. Past that (if there's any getting there), he's also 44 and the survivor of important past romances, including one where he worked closely for another decade with his ex. He may strongly support his friend and boss in allowing Darlene and David to remain first loves, former-spouses, parents and family, apart.

This all makes logical sense to me but I would still honestly be shocked since I feel like it’s going to go the opposite direction (David and Darlene learning to make it work together)-  I guess ultimately I just want to see Darlene make up her mind, this back and forth is too much.  

• Love 2