Type keyword(s) to search

The Conners: Speculation and Spoilers

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, BeachDays said:

This all makes logical sense to me but I would still honestly be shocked since I feel like it’s going to go the opposite direction (David and Darlene learning to make it work together)

That may well be true, if both Gilbert and Galecki are up for it. And you have the added perspective of being part of the live audience!  I think we'll find out a lot in Ep4, if "what David has to say" turns out to be a meaningful proof of his commitment (as well as his devotion).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

That may well be true, if both Gilbert and Galecki are up for it. And you have the added perspective of being part of the live audience!  I think we'll find out a lot in Ep4, if "what David has to say" turns out to be a meaningful proof of his commitment (as well as his devotion).

Yup my impression is that David is endgame.... then again I’m probably biased because that is also my hope.   I guess it seems like a lot of rigamarole if they end up not working it out.   Speaking of which, we finally got a description of the next episode of the Conners which will air in 2 weeks... 

Nightmare on Lunch Box Street

Halloween brings nothing but horror for Jackie after she uncovers a shocking secret when trying to reopen the Lunch Box; Mary gets upset when a woman assumes she is adopted; Darlene continues to deal with her complicated love life.

The Lunch Box!  Mary!  And the sneaking suspicion that “David has a lot to say to you” will be the last line of tomorrow’s ep lol 

But for real I’m super excited for the Mary storyline.... I hope we get a great moment with her and DJ 💗

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Fisher's wallet and monogrammed boxers? "I have a loose meat restaurant. I know what to do with the body."

No, it's probably why Jerry doesn't ever come visit and that Andy exists, but Jackie has blocked it from her mind. 

Press Release for 2x06: Tempest in a Stew Pot

2x06: Tempest In A Stew Pot

IT TAKES TWO AND STEW TO GET THE LUNCH BOX BACK

Jackie and Becky pitch their business plan to Darlene in hopes of getting the Lunch Box back, but Darlene's decision leads to hostility among the three. Meanwhile, Dan bans Odessa from the house, causing a rift with Harris; and Mark makes extensive Thanksgiving plans that may inevitably fall apart.

• Useful 1

I think I am odd person out here but I don't want Darlene back with David.  I like their friendship and I have probably watched every single episode of these shows since back in the day, but I just don't think their relationship is healthy.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Annabella said:

I think I am odd person out here but I don't want Darlene back with David.  I like their friendship and I have probably watched every single episode of these shows since back in the day, but I just don't think their relationship is healthy.

Can I sit at your table?

• Love 5

Press Release For 2x07: Slappy Holidays

2x07: Slappy Holidays

NOTHING BRINGS OUT FAMILY DYSFUNCTION LIKE THANKSGIVING.

Chaos ensues when Dan finally gets the entire family together for Thanksgiving dinner. Mixed feelings about the Lunch Box continue to build tension in the house, and Harris makes an unexpected move.

• Love 2

It's a spoiler thread, so no need for tags.

I think it's clear Andy doesn't exist; they said during/after the Roseanne revival season they hadn't decided whether he existed, and The Conners has consistently played as if he doesn't.  There's just no way to play Becky getting knocked up by a one-night stand who won't leave her alone without ever once mentioning - let alone mining for material - the parallel to Fred, unless that parallel doesn't exist.

I don't care if we ever see Jerry, but I'm certainly not clamoring to see Ed Jr., either.  (And he should be quite a few years older than that, but so should Harris, so there you go.)  But it gives a way of getting back into Dan's relationship with his dad, and may lead to an appearance or two from Crystal (who hasn't yet been in this season).

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's a spoiler thread, so no need for tags.

I think it's clear Andy doesn't exist; they said during/after the Roseanne revival season they hadn't decided whether he existed, and The Conners has consistently played as if he doesn't.  There's just no way to play Becky getting knocked up by a one-night stand who won't leave her alone without ever once mentioning - let alone mining for material - the parallel to Fred, unless that parallel doesn't exist.

I don't care if we ever see Jerry, but I'm certainly not clamoring to see Ed Jr., either.  (And he should be quite a few years older than that, but so should Harris, so there you go.)  But it gives a way of getting back into Dan's relationship with his dad, and may lead to an appearance or two from Crystal (who hasn't yet been in this season).

I don't care about Jerry or Andy either. They were just little plot devices with no personality. Ed was just a baby too so I don't know why they'd bring him on.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I don't care if we ever see Jerry, but I'm certainly not clamoring to see Ed Jr., either. 

29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't care about Jerry or Andy either. They were just little plot devices with no personality. Ed was just a baby too so I don't know why they'd bring him on.

Yeah, I don't care about Ed Jr, Jerry, or Andy. I hadn't even thought of Ed Jr. since the series original run, and am not particularly interested in seeing a grown up version either. Please don't let him be just another brat like Harris. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I think it's clear Andy doesn't exist

Yup. It sucks for Jackie that they took away her son and made her a sad sack who clings to her sister's family, but it is what it is. People need to accept that Andy simply does not and never did exist in this incarnation of the show.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Not4Me said:

Wouldn’t it just be easier to bring back adult Lonnie and use the same plot lines? Which would mean another way shoehorn in Crystal, who surprisingly was a welcoming return from the revival.

Nah, why do things that make sense. 

• Love 2

On one hand, it's weird for them to bring back baby Ed Jr when the show has effectively forgotten that Jerry and Andy existed. Not that I was ever clamoring to see any of the youngest offspring of the show, but still.

On the other hand, the dynamic between Ed, Ed Jr and Dan sounds like it could potentially be very interesting. Plus a dash of Crystal. Though I do wonder if they will acknowledge Lonnie and Angela, Ed and Crystal's other kid? 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

On one hand, it's weird for them to bring back baby Ed Jr when the show has effectively forgotten that Jerry and Andy existed. Not that I was ever clamoring to see any of the youngest offspring of the show, but still.

On the other hand, the dynamic between Ed, Ed Jr and Dan sounds like it could potentially be very interesting. Plus a dash of Crystal. Though I do wonder if they will acknowledge Lonnie and Angela, Ed and Crystal's other kid? 

I wonder if we will also get to see Ed Sr or if he will only be mentioned in passing. 

I’m not giving up on Andy. If Ed Jr is around 21, I could see Andy being slightly older than Harris and possibly in college or living with Fred and not wanting to be around Jackie (assuming that her parenting style is similar to Bev’s). Maybe they’re focusing on one character at a time and they’re saving him for something big (i.e., Bev dies and her share goes directly to Andy). 

• Love 1
2x09 Smoking Penguins and Santa on Santa Action

FALL FINALE

CHRISTMAS IS FULL OF SURPRISES ON THE FALL FINALE OF ABC'S 'THE CONNERS,' AIRING TUESDAY, DEC. 10

Dan is disappointed when everyone but Becky forgets about his birthday. Meanwhile, Darlene and Ben face an issue at work, and Dan takes advantage of the family Christmas Santa photo to force Jackie to befriend Louise.

Guest starring is Katey Sagal as Louise and Jay R. Ferguson as Ben.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, LBS said:

Why doesn’t Jackie like Louise?  They seemed to be ok with each other besides the last couple of episodes.  What am I forgetting?

It has something to do with Louise & her garage band playing too long in high school per Jackie’s words in the Thanksgiving episode although IMO I think there’s more to it. I can’t believe it’s just all about the high school thing that seems ridiculous to be just about that.  

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

@ESS I knew that but it just seems like they are adding this weird antagonistic vibe that episode and this episode when I can’t remember any other instances when Louise was in it with Jackie.  I don’t hate it but I just don’t remember anything pointing to it. It felt a little out of place. 

but.....  Jackie was established to have a huge crush on Dan in High school so I now I can see it.....

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LBS said:

@ESS I knew that but it just seems like they are adding this weird antagonistic vibe that episode and this episode when I can’t remember any other instances when Louise was in it with Jackie.  I don’t hate it but I just don’t remember anything pointing to it. It felt a little out of place. 

but.....  Jackie was established to have a huge crush on Dan in High school so I now I can see it.....

@LBS well yeah I think you might be onto something & I’m too thinking it might have also something to do with Jackie having a crush on Dan too in high school along with  the other high school thing she mentions in the Thanksgiving episode.

Now that Louise is “dating” Dan so to speak Jackie might be a little...jealous of that so yeah I can also see it, but to me Jackie needs to let it go because she’s being ridiculous it was a long time ago & actually these last few episodes are the first ones to have had any Louise & Jackie scenes in them so I’m not surprised you don’t remember about that, but if you meant in high school then that’s a different story all together because Louise is a new character so to speak and it was only established that Jackie had a crush on Dan in high school until now...I can see why you think it’s out of left field. I do agree it does seem out of nowhere & I don’t like it, but I’m hoping Jackie & Louise will become friends down the road and it’ll be forgotten especially on Jackie’s part as she’s the one instigating it. 

• Love 4

Honestly, I’m thinking that Jackie’s disliking Louise will be revealed to be more about Jackie’s complicated grief and seeing the signs that Dan is beginning to move forward with his life. Displaced grief and anger turned towards Louise. The garage band mishap will turn out to be the paper thin and ridiculous excuse it is to cover the more raw and painful source of Jackie’s feelings.

I fully expect this to result in another Emmy worthy scene between the two greats, Laurie and John. 

I’m excited about the upcoming ep because the writers and actors have been absolutely fire and these past eps have had original Roseanne spice and flavor. And I’m so glad Katy had fit in so well in the show. Makes it more than palpable that John could be with anyone else besides Roseanne. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, smijca said:

Honestly, I’m thinking that Jackie’s disliking Louise will be revealed to be more about Jackie’s complicated grief and seeing the signs that Dan is beginning to move forward with his life. Displaced grief and anger turned towards Louise. The garage band mishap will turn out to be the paper thin and ridiculous excuse it is to cover the more raw and painful source of Jackie’s feelings.

I fully expect this to result in another Emmy worthy scene between the two greats, Laurie and John. 

I’m excited about the upcoming ep because the writers and actors have been absolutely fire and these past eps have had original Roseanne spice and flavor. And I’m so glad Katy had fit in so well in the show. Makes it more than palpable that John could be with anyone else besides Roseanne. 

I didn’t think about this, but yes that could also be another reason as to why Jackie is so hostile towards Louise as well great theory I agree with that as well so I’m thinking now it’s probably a combination of reasons for the Jackie/Louise hostility again more on Jackie’s part then Louise. 

Yes Katey/Louise fits right in so it doesn’t feel all that weird as maybe another character/actress might for Dan to move on with at least to me. Katey was & is the perfect choice so is her character as well.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, ESS said:

I didn’t think about this, but yes that could also be another reason as to why Jackie is so hostile towards Louise as well great theory I agree with that as well so I’m thinking now it’s probably a combination of reasons for the Jackie/Louise hostility again more on Jackie’s part then Louise. 

Yes Katey/Louise fits right in so it doesn’t feel all that weird as maybe another character/actress might for Dan to move on with at least to me. Katey was & is the perfect choice so is her character as well.

It could also lead to how Jackie never has really "moved on" with her own life. She has been spinning since she was in her late 30s. She keeps putting herself in a constant circle or something new, doesn't work out or she doesn't like it. Then goes back to doing the only thing she knew which was lean on Roseanne. Now, she is gone, she misses her sister, but at the same time, Dan has shown to be moving on with his life after being together with the same person for 50 years. If this is by some small miracle to have it where the writers admit that Fred and Andy existed. I take it. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, readster said:

It could also lead to how Jackie never has really "moved on" with her own life. She has been spinning since she was in her late 30s. She keeps putting herself in a constant circle or something new, doesn't work out or she doesn't like it. Then goes back to doing the only thing she knew which was lean on Roseanne. Now, she is gone, she misses her sister, but at the same time, Dan has shown to be moving on with his life after being together with the same person for 50 years. If this is by some small miracle to have it where the writers admit that Fred and Andy existed. I take it. 

Yeah it sounds like she never really did move on..Like I said I want her & Louise to be friends because maybe Jackie can lean on her for support because she knew Roseanne as well it’s nice that Louise has that connection & I think Jackie could use a friend right now even though I hate the way she’s treating Louise I think I could forgive her if she’d let it go and try to move on. 

• Love 3

To be fair, Jackie did date Ferris Bueller so she tried to move on, but it didn't worl out.  No one is going to replace Roseanne in Jackie's life.

So, according to now, Roseanne, Louise and Jackie had crushes on Dan Conner in high school?  Who knew?  Anyone else carrying torches?

• Love 4
13 hours ago, smijca said:

Yeah, I think so too. I mean, Jackie called Louise a "man-grabbing self-centered bitch" in the latest episode, and that's pretty harsh if it was really only about the garage band/rifle routine thing in HS. The inclusion of "man-grabbing" makes me think Jackie's strong dislike of Louise is about Dan moving on from Roseanne, and Jackie feeling betrayed on her sister's behalf. And maybe even some jealousy that Dan didn't even consider Jackie to move on with. I really hope the Jackie/Louise/Dan dynamic is further explored when the show comes back from winter hiatus.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

To be fair, Jackie did date Ferris Bueller so she tried to move on, but it didn't worl out.  No one is going to replace Roseanne in Jackie's life.

So, according to now, Roseanne, Louise and Jackie had crushes on Dan Conner in high school?  Who knew?  Anyone else carrying torches?

Phyllis Zimmer  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Yeah, I think so too. I mean, Jackie called Louise a "man-grabbing self-centered bitch" in the latest episode, and that's pretty harsh if it was really only about the garage band/rifle routine thing in HS. The inclusion of "man-grabbing" makes me think Jackie's strong dislike of Louise is about Dan moving on from Roseanne, and Jackie feeling betrayed on her sister's behalf. And maybe even some jealousy that Dan didn't even consider Jackie to move on with. I really hope the Jackie/Louise/Dan dynamic is further explored when the show comes back from winter hiatus.

Man wow Jackie really isn’t liking Louise! That’s mean & she’s even worse then what I thought in what she called her dang! I don’t want them to explore the Dan/Louise/Jackie dynamic in that way because I absolutely hate triangles in shows & everything else not saying that’s where it’s going which I hope it doesn’t, honestly I only want more Dan & Louise more than anything else.

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1

My guess is that Ed, Jr., is being brought in to provide storylines for Dan and another male scene partner for John. A younger man closely (if  oddly) related to Dan.

Why another male family member? Because DJ is played by Michael Fishman. Why not Jerry? (1) Out of respect for Michael Fishman, and for DJ; (2) Because Jerry was imposed on the show in the first place, and by Roseanne's real life. 

10 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Jackie called Louise a "man-grabbing self-centered bitch" in the latest episode, and that's pretty harsh if it was really only about the garage band/rifle routine thing in HS. The inclusion of "man-grabbing" makes me think Jackie's strong dislike of Louise is about Dan moving on from Roseanne

I think we may be narrowing in on Jackie's disfiguring social trauma, the one from which she never recovered. It wasn't only Roseanne. The way Jackie sees that she's seen by the good people of Lanford has also colored her entire life. Lanford: she's tried sleeping with it, policing it, driving away from it, feeding it and even coaching it. But it never loved her as its own. Not like it loved Roseanne, Dan or Louise.

The "man-grabbing, self-centered bitch" may really mean "admiration-getting, self-loving rival-only-in-my-own-mind." Or perhaps, back in LHS, once Louise saw that Dan preferred Roseanne, she moved on to someone Jackie also saw as a potential second choice.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Pallas said:

My guess is that Ed, Jr., is being brought in to provide storylines for Dan and another male scene partner for John. A younger man closely (if  oddly) related to Dan.

Why another male family member? Because DJ is played by Michael Fishman. Why not Jerry? (1) Out of respect for Michael Fishman, and for DJ; (2) Because Jerry was imposed on the show in the first place, and by Roseanne's real life. 

I think we may be narrowing in on Jackie's disfiguring social trauma, the one from which she never recovered. It wasn't only Roseanne. The way Jackie sees that she's seen by the good people of Lanford has also colored her entire life. Lanford: she's tried sleeping with it, policing it, driving away from it, feeding it and even coaching it. But it never loved her as its own. Not like it loved Roseanne, Dan or Louise.

The "man-grabbing, self-centered bitch" may really mean "admiration-getting, self-loving rival-only-in-my-own-mind." Or perhaps, back in LHS, once Louise saw that Dan preferred Roseanne, she moved on to someone Jackie also saw as a potential second choice.  

Hmm another interesting theory about the Dan/Louise/Jackie dynamic. 

Edited by ESS
18 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

13 hours ago, Steff said:

Phyllis Zimmer  

And let’s not forget Crystal, after all she married the next best thing...Dan’s dad!

• Love 6

I can believe most of the girls had a crush on Dan during high school (at some point, from near or afar). That's kind of how it works with football players. Plus Dan probably wasn't a total jerk, so he'd be fondly remembered. 

(I moved a couple of comments to the appropriate thread.)

ETA:

8 hours ago, Pallas said:

Aww... I think MF was pretty rusty at first but he's definitely gotten better. 

Ed Jr. makes sense to me in that the intra-family stuff has gotten pretty intense and they need to back off a bit.  The stakes aren't quite as high with a half-brother that didn't grow up on the show. Plus it gives Crystal a logical reason to come back without Roseanne being there.  

• Love 8

I thought Michael Fishman was very natural acting as a child. I just read that during his audition, Roseanne asked him to tell her a joke. He said, “Why did the turtle cross the road? It was the chicken’s day off.”

I think it’s great that they are loyal and supportive, but in that short exchange with Paul Reubens, I was shaking my head. 

• Love 4

In my defense of MF, I was mainly thinking of some of his scenes with JG.  But I do think he adds some balance to the canvas even when he isn't doing much, because as other posters have said, Jackie, Becky and Darlene do tend to dominate scenes. 

The reboot hasn't said much (anything?) about Ed, Jr. so there's potential for a variety of emotions for Dan.  I wonder how Harris feels about a great uncle just a few years older than she is. Maybe he can hook up with Odessa. Dan would like that, I'm sure. 😉

• LOL 4
On 11/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, tessaray said:

I can believe most of the girls had a crush on Dan during high school (at some point, from near or afar). That's kind of how it works with football players. Plus Dan probably wasn't a total jerk, so he'd be fondly remembered. 

(I moved a couple of comments to the appropriate thread.)

ETA:

Aww... I think MF was pretty rusty at first but he's definitely gotten better. 

Ed Jr. makes sense to me in that the intra-family stuff has gotten pretty intense and they need to back off a bit.  The stakes aren't quite as high with a half-brother that didn't grow up on the show. Plus it gives Crystal a logical reason to come back without Roseanne being there.  

When I was growing up it felt like most of the women in America either wanted Dan as their TV husband or TV father, depending on your age. Dan had amazing charisma and was probably quite fit in his younger years. I can imagine a lot of ladies were a bit envious of Roseanne for nabbing him. I also liked that blue collar prom king like Dan could appreciate someone like Roseanne and did not go for a more head cheerleader/beauty queen type of gal.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:12 PM, BeachDays said:

I actually really enjoy Michael Fishman.  There is a sense of realism with him.  He’s just the sibling that is there and says stuff and doesn’t act like he’s the star of the family.   

They have been pretty good in using him. DJ is quiet but does have a very happy family life with his wife and Mary. I wonder if they will do something with his PTSD but quite frankly I do not know if he has the acting chops for that type of story line.

I always appreciated the way Fishman stood up to Roseanne during her implosion. He seems to be a nice young man who has avoided many of the pitfalls that destroy many other child stars.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

When I was growing up it felt like most of the women in America either wanted Dan as their TV husband or TV father, depending on your age. Dan had amazing charisma and was probably quite fit in his younger years. I can imagine a lot of ladies were a bit envious of Roseanne for nabbing him. I also liked that blue collar prom king like Dan could appreciate someone like Roseanne and did not go for a more head cheerleader/beauty queen type of gal.

Growing up my brother & I wanted Dan for a dad.  As an adult, I can see why Dan is still a good catch. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Steff said:

Growing up my brother & I wanted Dan for a dad.  As an adult, I can see why Dan is still a good catch. 

I like Dan now but when I was younger he sacred me. He's so big and when he was angry he yelled really loud. I wasn't raised with yelling so I would be very uncomfortable watching their fight scenes.

• Love 1

I was googling to verify the date of the next episode and the description of it says:

The Conners struggle to accept Becky's new boyfriend, a Green Bay Packers fan...

ngl, it made me laugh just reading it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, tessaray said:

I was googling to verify the date of the next episode and the description of it says:

ngl, it made me laugh just reading it.

The date for this one is February 11th according to article I read.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, ESS said:

The date for this one is February 11th according to article I read.

No, February 11th is the date for the live episode, about the primary election.

The next new episode will air January 21st, and in that one Becky - born and raised in a Bears family - dates a Packers fan.

8 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

So Bruce Hedford said that Andy is part of the book/dream seasons of the og Roseanne, but Gilbert says there could be...could be a possibility that Andy does exist within the conners.

Honestly at this point I just don't care. Jackie as written in this show would have been an absolutely awful mother and I'm glad that she wasn't in this particular universe.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

No, February 11th is the date for the live episode, about the primary election.

The next new episode will air January 21st, and in that one Becky - born and raised in a Bears family - dates a Packers fan.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said the Feb 11th is the LIVE one and I know that's the next episode too, but thanks.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2020 at 12:18 AM, Bastet said:

I saw the promo and was I hallucinating? Was that DEAN? The guy that gave Darlene a ride to school Dean? The one that made Becky get all pissy with Darlene? (that got the ax off the original show)? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1