Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Indianapolis City Qualifiers 2018.06.18

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well, nobody cleared Mega Wall, which was a bit of a surprise. "Flex" failed, but completed the course to keep her standing as a top female ninja. Isaac clears the course as well with minimal discomfort. I reckon the most pressure was on Matt & Akbar, completely forgetting the accomplishment of Geoff Britten. It's like Flex and Chris . . . Isaac got to the top faster, Geoff hit all six buzzers. I know, Geoff probably upset about this, and he'll be returning next year, but it's a little disheartening. I am okay with Isaac . . . though Akbar was right in observing that he looked like he was going out on the golf course.

Brian Arnold got WWWA'd. Funny thing is that he's on one of the teams (Party Time) that made it to the end of Ninja vs. Ninja.

Is "SHA NA NA!!!!!" a new thing from Akbar?

ETA: I meant to say that Geoff was okay with the current situation. Or “not upset,” because he doesn’t seem to have a huge ego. Don’t you just hate when you screw up a post??

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Is "SHA NA NA!!!!!" a new thing from Akbar?

No, it's not new. It is one of his more annoying catchphrases, to my ears.

At least they said Isaac was the first to "win"...because that's true. Last week I felt like they sort of implied he was the first to finish the course, and that bugged me, because he wasn't. 

Isaac's lack of sideburns/beard/mustache thing (does that particular facial hair style have a name?) kinda threw me off. Especially combined with his golf outfit.

• Love 3

Yeah Flex!  

Caldero looked really young without the facial hair.  And the comment about joining a country club almost made him lose concentration, but it was funny - as was his reaction.

I blinked and missed Brian Arnold.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was happy that yet again the Ninja doc (Noah?) from the Wolfpack wasn’t there (at least that I saw - will never forgive him for the gold pants).  I know I”m going to hell but on Isaac’s run, when they said ‘all of his ninja friends are here’ and then they showed a group and the 5’ 1” ninja comes running up in the back, so short and basically trying to jump up to see over Gil and Dreshel...it just made me laugh out loud.

ETA - Definitely haven’t missed Isaac.

So, I can confirm that without the intros, interviews, or other filler - I finished the entire episode in just under 50 minutes.  

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Isaac’s lack of sideburns/beard/mustache thing (does that particular facial hair style have a name?) kinda threw me off. Especially combined with his golf outfit.

Yeah, it made him look like he had bathed sometime in the previous few weeks.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Yeah, it made him look like he had bathed sometime in the previous few weeks.

I guess it's easier now that he lives in a house and not an RV.

• Love 2

I have an irrational hatred of Caldero that goes before him winning the 1M so not happy to see him back.  I was expecting him to clear the mega wall because why the hell not?   Did like that LaBreck tried it even though she wasn’t even close.  Good for her giving it a shot.  

• Love 4

That felt like some contractually obligated cheering on the behalf of the other ninjas.  The real reason he's back: I expect he ran through his million and doesn't want to wash dishes again.

The constant plugging of him as the only winner was annoying as hell. 

Nice to see Jesse LaBreck have a good run.

• Love 6

Honestly, if Isaac wins another million dollars, I will be so incredibly bummed.  I'm sorry he came back. I think after someone wins they should go off of the show.

Jesse LaBreck was great, as usual.  I hope she makes it through to the finals and finishes at least one stage.  With Jessie Graf focused on her other project right now, she seems to be shaping up as this season's strongest female competitor - although even a less-focused Jessie Graf is amazing.  I'm happy that Jeri D'Aurelio made it through to the finals.  Less thrilled to see the "Towers of Power," although the baby was cute.  Jimmy Choi is awesome.  

Overall, the courses seem to be pretty fair across the cities so far, although VERY upper-body intensive.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

Less thrilled to see the "Towers of Power," although the baby was cute.    

I'll admit I cheer a little when they fall. The second one made it through but he was WWWA'd, so at least there's that. Baby as workout wear was cute, though.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm one of the few, if not the only one anywhere, who has liked Isaac from the beginning. There was something about his vagabond lifestyle that played to me, living in a van, doing odd jobs to get enough money to move on to the next place to climb. I thought he looked good, so much better now, and LOL at the poster above who said yeah, now that he has a house he can take a shower once in a while. Agree! I also don't miss the facial hair. Looks great on Desmond (heartthrob!) but not on Isaac IMO.

I also laughed at the country-club comments, like now that he's rich (although I seriously doubt he got a full one million in his bank account, maybe half tops) he plays golf at "the club," and just stopped at ANW to run the course before teeing off.

WTH with Brian Arnold getting a WWWA. Meanwhile, Flex rocked it.

I thought that new ladder climb, whatever it was called, that swiveled/rotated was a beast. I can't imagine jumping up if the bars were stationary much less mobile.

I wonder if the later city prelim people will be practicing on a taller warped wall before their city run offs. I would be.

ETA: Isaac's girlfriend was always at ANW when he competed, but no mention of her now, and only a dog at home. Interesting if they split when he got rich after she stuck with him through all the van living. I also thought Nashville was an odd choice to live for a pro climber. Not even an airline hub there.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm one of the few, if not the only one anywhere, who has liked Isaac from the beginning. There was something about his vagabond lifestyle that played to me, living in a van, doing odd jobs to get enough money to move on to the next place to climb. I thought he looked good, so much better now, and LOL at the poster above who said yeah, now that he has a house he can take a shower once in a while. Agree! I also don't miss the facial hair. Looks great on Desmond (heartthrob!) but not on Isaac IMO.

I also laughed at the country-club comments, like now that he's rich (although I seriously doubt he got a full one million in his bank account, maybe half tops) he plays golf at "the club," and just stopped at ANW to run the course before teeing off.

WTH with Brian Arnold getting a WWWA. Meanwhile, Flex rocked it.

I thought that new ladder climb, whatever it was called, that swiveled/rotated was a beast. I can't imagine jumping up if the bars were stationary much less mobile.

I wonder if the later city prelim people will be practicing on a taller warped wall before their city run offs. I would be.

ETA: Isaac's girlfriend was always at ANW when he competed, but no mention of her now, and only a dog at home. Interesting if they split when he got rich after she stuck with him through all the van living.

I actually liked him, too (just kinda felt bad for Geoff, but I don't blame Isaac for that). Not the facial hair, but then I'm not a fan of it in general, though I kinda thought it suited him somehow. I did wonder about his girlfriend when she wasn't mentioned.

I also had the same thought about the money. "How much of that was left after taxes?" Hope he invested some of it wisely. Winning a million bucks doesn't exactly make you "rich" these days all by itself.

You know the people who build their own practice obstacles are gonna be adding to their wall heights!

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I also thought Nashville was an odd choice to live for a pro climber. Not even an airline hub there.

Maybe not a hub, but excellent connections all over the US and also an international port with a fair number of foreign airlines flying in.
As for climbing, Nashville sits in the "Nashville basin" an erosional feature that is a bowl cut by wind and water in the flat lying rocks that surround it on all sides.

Several hundred foot drops along the Pennsylvanian aged sandstones in the National Park to the east, and limestone bluffs along the Tennessee River. 

Big South Fork  is huge and magnificent and relatively undiscovered.  

Three state parks 

Cumberland Trail State Park

Fall Creek Falls State Park

South Cumberland State Park

ask that you register before climbing.  Many other bluffs, standing stones, etc. make for climbing destinations.  

We even have REIs here.

• Love 1
(edited)

Isaac Caldiero seems a little too full of himself. Not sure if a producer talked him into the constant refrains of "I'm the only person who's ever won, I thought others would win after me but nope, I'm just that great, I had to come back to show these folks how it's done again" but it got real obnoxious real fast. He also looked fairly out-of-shape compared to 3 years ago. I will be surprised if he clears Stage 2.

The LaBreck/DiGangi romance saga continues. I would frankly hate to be in a super-competitive relationship but I guess it works for them. My husband and I are both fit but we have different goals/speeds and participate in different events (he is a fast triathlete, I am a slow OCR runner). 

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 2

I never cared for Isaac because he seemed shiftless and always looked dirty.  I liked him even less when he beat Geoff Britten.  Boy, he cleaned up well!  He's actually quite nice looking.  I wonder what happened to his girlfriend.  

I'm a bit conflicted about a winner competing again.  On one hand, I wish they wouldn't be allowed after winning the top prize.  OTOH I can't think of another sport where winners aren't allowed to compete again so, if ANW wants to be considered a legit sport, fair is fair.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, mlp said:

I'm a bit conflicted about a winner competing again.  On one hand, I wish they wouldn't be allowed after winning the top prize.  OTOH I can't think of another sport where winners aren't allowed to compete again so, if ANW wants to be considered a legit sport, fair is fair.

I feel the same way. Although look what happened to The Mighty Kasey when she "made history." She sorta tanked. But Isaac (even looking out of shape, and wearing country-club clothes instead of his usual just shorts) got through the course pretty easily. It would be pressure for him to not fail. But maybe the show is footing some bills so he comes back after being gone for so long. You know, for ratings.

I watch the old reruns and last week Isaac fell on the Jumping Spider. It did take him a long time to finally finish, if you look back at the old shows.

I do like the guys who aren't all ripped, who just look like normal guys on the street. Joe Moravsky, Drew Dreschel, Flip ... they are all favs of mine.

15 hours ago, VartanFan said:

I was happy that yet again the Ninja doc (Noah?) from the Wolfpack wasn’t there (at least that I saw - will never forgive him for the gold pants).

Now you have to admit that Noah's gold lamé body suit is one of ANW's wardrobe highlights. Or lowlights maybe. In either case it's an illustration of why going commando is NOT always a good look.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I do like the guys who aren't all ripped, who just look like normal guys on the street. Joe Moravsky, Drew Dreschel, Flip ... they are all favs of mine

In agreement.  And to further beat the Britten-Caldiero discussion, I liked Britten better because he DID work a full time job and carrying that camera around may have accounted for his upper body strength.  Caldiero spent a lot of time on his body.  His body may have been his only job.  

• Love 5

Now you have to admit that Noah's gold lamé body suit is one of ANW's wardrobe highlights. Or lowlights maybe. In either case it's an illustration of why going commando is NOT always a good look.

You mean...gold lame, plus commando, PLUS the stethoscope?  I get it, you're a doctor.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

You mean...gold lame, plus commando, PLUS the stethoscope?  I get it, you're a doctor.  

Didn't he run in scrubs once?

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I do like the guys who aren't all ripped, who just look like normal guys on the street. Joe Moravsky, Drew Dreschel, Flip ... they are all favs of mine.

They do look a little more like normal guys but they also tend to keep their shirts on most of the time. (Nothing against hot shirtless guys, but still. A little too much showing off with some of them on this show.)

Anyone else think the pizza guy probably shouldn't have been touching greasy food right before running? (Though I don't think his fall had to do with his hands slipping, it's still probably not the best idea.)

On the Jesse/Chris romance, at least the producers aren't going completely overboard on their love story like they did with Kacy and Brent. Besides, they're cute together.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

And in those pants, we didn't need his surname to tell us he was Jewish, either.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VartanFan said:

Well, gold lamé and commando doesn't exactly say "doctor" to me, and in his defense, he did not wear the stethoscope with the golden bodysuit.

51 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Didn't he run in scrubs once?

Yes, maybe more than once.

I make fun of Noah's clothing choices but still, I cut him some slack after he came to the aid of a ninja who hurt himself during a run. The poor guy dislocated his shoulder when he fell, and was in terrible pain. Dr. Noah came out of the crowd and popped the shoulder back in. That was back in the "early days," but I still remember it.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, suebee12 said:
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

WWWA

OK, I am new here...I figure this means we only see part of the run, but exactly what does it stand for? Help me, please!

While We Were Away. Those are the short clips we see after commercial. Matt and Akbar always start them by saying "While we were away ..." Lately they have been WWWA-ling fan favorite ninjas.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I make fun of Noah's clothing choices but still, I cut him some slack after he came to the aid of a ninja who hurt himself during a run. The poor guy dislocated his shoulder when he fell, and was in terrible pain. Dr. Noah came out of the crowd and popped the shoulder back in. That was back in the "early days," but I still remember it.

I don't dislike him but the gold lame really is mockable. ;)

I don't think I saw that when it happened (I started watching at season 5 I think) but I remember seeing it in a bio package once, more recently.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

The LaBreck/DiGangi romance saga continues. I would frankly hate to be in a super-competitive relationship but I guess it works for them. My husband and I are both fit but we have different goals/speeds and participate in different events (he is a fast triathlete, I am a slow OCR runner). 

I think Chris knows that Jessie would take him in a head to head.  She's really driven, you can tell by her expressions when she runs.  

• Love 5
(edited)

I’m also on the fence about Isaac coming back. Although his golf shirt and pants made me bust out laughing. I assume he split with the gf since she wasn’t mentioned. And he needs to leave off that beard because he’s way handsomer than I remember. 

I really wanted the guy with the fiancé with ms to get through so I’m happy he made it. 

But Im bummed Jimmy Choi didn’t get his third obstacle finished. That dude is inspiring. May have melted my cold dead heart a bit. 

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 2

I’m with most everyone else on the Isaac train in that I’m not a huge fan, can’t get over how much better he looks without the facial hair and having clean hair, and I wonder what happened to the girlfriend. She was always a staple on the sidelines so I’m guessing they are kaput. Maybe she didn’t want to live in an actual house with someone he has some money ??‍♀️.

On a semi-related note, was that Geoff Britten on the sidelines? I swore they showed him for about 2 seconds after Brian Arnold fell, if I’m not totally crazy. I even rewound and I’m pretty sure...

Jesse continues to kick ass. She is my girl crush and I also want to be her when I grow up. 

On Ninja v Ninja Brandon Mears had to drop out of the competition because there was some type of health emergency with his son. Color me completely shocked that there was no mention of this at all. I mean, I am certainly happy his son seems to be healthy, it’s just that I can’t believe ANW didn’t exploit the hell out of that story. 

I usually cry at least once an episode- tonight it was the story of the plumber who got the donor tissue meeting his donor’s widow. That one got me. 

Final thought, I’m disappointed that no one made up the mega wall tonight! 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, srpturtle80 said:

On a semi-related note, was that Geoff Britten on the sidelines? I swore they showed him for about 2 seconds after Brian Arnold fell, if I’m not totally crazy. I even rewound and I’m pretty sure...

I noticed Geoff, too. 

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I’ve heard most ninja gyms don’t have ceilings even high enough for an 18’ wall. Clearly, they can’t do this next year because people will find a way to prepare for it. Maybe they’ll give money for fastest finisher or if you finish city finals. 

I didn’t love or hate Isaac before but they I think it’s cool he’s back. All the finishers in Sasuke returned. I totally think he’s getting paid to appear though because he requested appearance money before and NBC said no. All of a sudden this season he’s all “I missed my friends and Ninja Warrior is my life”. Okay dude. What friends? You left the Wolfpack unceremoniously and disappeared. Yeah, he’s getting paid. Made the course look super easy though. 

And because it cannot be said enough, Jesse LaBreck is awesome. If you haven’t seen her on Ninja vs. Ninja, you’ve really missed out. 

• Love 3

On a semi-related note, was that Geoff Britten on the sidelines?

I saw him too.  At least I thought I did at the time.  

Back to Isaac................. I'm not sure when these episodes are filmed - March and April I think but I'm not sure.  I ordered the ANW book that was released in early June.  The last chapters feature Isaac VERY heavily - stories, quotes (mostly rather arrogant comments), lots of pictures.  At the time the book was published, we hadn't even seen him in years so I'm now wondering if the focus means they knew something we don't know yet.  They also featured Chris Wolczevski a lot.  I like him but he isn't the first person I think of when I think of ANW.  The choices seem curious to me.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, healthnut said:

I’ve heard most ninja gyms don’t have ceilings even high enough for an 18’ wall.

The barns on Lance Pekus's ranch have ceilings high enough. So do those outside courses ... the sky's the limit there. Didn't Eskimo Ninja make it up the 18 footer? I can't remember. But his training course is outside too.

I saw an old rerun that featured Isaac, one of his first times on the show. He had built a ninja course in the parent's back yard, and painted it all pretty so it would look nice out there and the neighbors wouldn't object. They showed his parents for a split second.

I looked up Joe Moravsky and turns out he is a "freelance" weather reporter (whatever that means) but mostly is a paid member of the Wolfpack Ninja Tour. No one is who they seem, it seems!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, healthnut said:

And because it cannot be said enough, Jesse LaBreck is awesome. If you haven’t seen her on Ninja vs. Ninja, you’ve really missed out. 

Yes, she was amazing on N vs N. I like DiGangi just fine but man she carried him in that competition. 

And I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought I saw Geoff. I wish he would have at least gotten a mention but maybe they don’t want to hype his return until it happens. But I mean, when Kacey shows up she practically gets half the episode devoted to her. 

• Love 3

Indianapolis was kind of a dud.  Other than Flex I didn't see anyone that was must see tv.

Pizza jackass.  Maybe try focusing on the course instead of being a personality.

Tissue donor.  You are awesome and running for that man was awesome.  I teared up.  You are a hero for his wife.

Sha na na.  Uh, no, please Akbar.  Unless you dress up like Bowser...no.

Jody Avila.  Ugh.  Poor guy.  I really liked him in the past.  Wish he would've made it.  He would've shredded that 10k wall if he would've made it that far.

Spin hopper is a bitch.  Enough said.

Towers of power...ugh.  However, they are a lot easier to take without all the broing out.  The baby softens them.  Glad Polizzi made it instead of Mears, I like Polizzi's personality better.

We didn't see the first guy who got up the spin hopper?  I wanted to see how he did it. (Deaf Ninja).  I think they should've shown him hopping up the front half.

Good for you for Dog Walker.  Getting his life in order.  But, oh my, that poor baby.  Mom jumping when he finished!  That kid was seriously jostled.  I can understand, I would've been excited too.

Pom wonderful replaced with Jeep Cherokee.  Bigger sponsor, bigger money.

Not only did Brian get the WWWA, DiGangi got the WWWA too.  He got some FaceTime in Flex's package though.

That was Geoff Brittan for sure.  

Polizzi was sooo close to 10k.  Not crazy about the ToP but I would've liked to see someone get the 10k.

Labreck house...shut up Akbar. Stop trying to make "fetch" happen.  And, yeah, I thought that first hopper down was supposed to be stable too, Jessie.  Glad she caught herself and finished.  Chris might've been faster but I still think she'd win in a head to head.  Being a gym manager has been great for her Ninja career.  She has been super training and it has been paying off.  Not to mention, I bet the gym is thrilled they have Flex as a manager and Coach.  money, money, money.

Issac is fine.  He may be the first PAID ANW but he has never hit all buzzers.  Let's see if he can this season.  BTW, if ANW is his life, why did it take 3 years to come back?  With no appearances?  You know ANW would've loved to have him back in a supporting role (a la Kacy) but he wasn't there?  I've heard rumors about his attitude after his win.  My theory?  He needs more cash (spent his after tax million) or just wants to be a star again.  Needs either cash or stardom, don't know which.  He does look better now.

• Love 4

I looked up Joe Moravsky and turns out he is a "freelance" weather reporter (whatever that means) but mostly is a paid member of the Wolfpack Ninja Tour. No one is who they seem, it seems!

This is what I hate about the growth of ANW.  I mean, it's good for them, I guess, to make more money with these ninja opportunities...but I liked it when Britten was a camera guy, when Moravsky was a newbie weatherman, and Brian Arnold was working at a SNF (skilled nursing faciliy; and LOVED the older adults).  I know this is sort of the maturation of the sport but it's kind  of how I don't love when they have professional athletes in the Olympics...like, of COURSE you're better because this is your job.  I think this is why I still love Travis Rosen...cool guy, has a regular job, level-headed (please please please don't tell me he's now a 'gym owner').  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, VartanFan said:

This is what I hate about the growth of ANW.  I mean, it's good for them, I guess, to make more money with these ninja opportunities...but I liked it when Britten was a camera guy, when Moravsky was a newbie weatherman, and Brian Arnold was working at a SNF (skilled nursing faciliy; and LOVED the older adults).  I know this is sort of the maturation of the sport but it's kind  of how I don't love when they have professional athletes in the Olympics...like, of COURSE you're better because this is your job.  I think this is why I still love Travis Rosen...cool guy, has a regular job, level-headed (please please please don't tell me he's now a 'gym owner').  

They didn't call him an owner but they said he coaches now, and didn't mention his real job (wasn't he a trader or in business?).  I know I've seen his real job on earlier season's packages.

9 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

They didn't call him an owner but they said he coaches now, and didn't mention his real job (wasn't he a trader or in business?).  I know I've seen his real job on earlier season's packages.

When they showed his name/job on the screen before he ran it said stock trader.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:17 PM, ClareWalks said:

Isaac Caldiero seems a little too full of himself. Not sure if a producer talked him into the constant refrains of "I'm the only person who's ever won, I thought others would win after me but nope, I'm just that great, I had to come back to show these folks how it's done again" but it got real obnoxious real fast. 

I am a slow OCR runner). 

Any doubt I had about wanting to see Isaac go far was thron completely out by those comments.

OCR doesn't mean Optical Character Recognition in this contest, I assume.

9 hours ago, VartanFan said:

I know this is sort of the maturation of the sport but it's kind  of how I don't love when they have professional athletes in the Olympics...like, of COURSE you're better because this is your job.

On the other hand, think of the time it takes to train, and the expense of going to all the shows (not to mention all the T shirts!!!).  Even amateur athletes in other sports are subsidized to a certain extent, so it makes sense here, as well.

• Love 2

I have no issue what so ever people folding this into a career.  Good for them if they do.     There are plenty of people who have gotten recognized either on their community or by other people who watch and it has benefited them.  For most of this I doubt many of them have made any money off this.  It is just something they enjoyed doing so a couple of them figured out how to make a living out of it or because of it....good for them.

• Love 4

So, my parents lived for a while in the same town as Jon Alexis Jr, and "Flex" Labreck and I have been following both of those Ninjas with interest. At first Jon's job had been "paper company worker", then, carpenter, and now Electrical Engineer. Googled a bit and, yes, he has been studying electrical engineering. I think he graduated recently so...brains and brawn. Bravo!

• Love 3