Type keyword(s) to search

Season 20: Live Feed Discussion

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Thalia said:

I apologize for asking this, especially as I've been watching BB since 2010, but is there a rule that the HOH cannot nominate the veto holder?  I know there must be, as I've never seen it done, and no one would use it otherwise (unless, of course, they were on the block).  

POV guarantees safety for the person who won it AND for the person (nominee) on whom they may choose to use it, with one exception.  If the winner is the only other possible replacement nominee, they are not guaranteed safety.  

In other words, let’s say it’s down to a hypothetical final 4 - JC, Kaycee, Tyler, and Sam.  Sam is HOH and nominates KC and JC. Then Tyler wins POV.  For some reason, Tyler takes JC off the block.  Kaycee could not be the only nominee on the block.  Obviously, Sam couldn’t go up.  Tyler would have to be the replacement even though he won POV.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Thalia said:

I apologize for asking this, especially as I've been watching BB since 2010, but is there a rule that the HOH cannot nominate the veto holder?  I know there must be, as I've never seen it done, and no one would use it otherwise (unless, of course, they were on the block).  

There is now, but there wasn't one initially. That is why it is now called the Golden Power of Veto instead of just Power of Veto as the GOLDEN Power of Veto keeps the veto winner from going up. 

42 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

POV guarantees safety for the person who won it AND for the person (nominee) on whom they may choose to use it, with one exception.  If the winner is the only other possible replacement nominee, they are not guaranteed safety.  

In other words, let’s say it’s down to a hypothetical final 4 - JC, Kaycee, Tyler, and Sam.  Sam is HOH and nominates KC and JC. Then Tyler wins POV.  For some reason, Tyler takes JC off the block.  Kaycee could not be the only nominee on the block.  Obviously, Sam couldn’t go up.  Tyler would have to be the replacement even though he won POV.

Right, but that's why they call that the Diamond Power of Veto. No one would ever take anyone (but themselves) down, since they would just vote out the person they want to vote out, as they're the only voter. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, D.CBies said:

...everyone should be playing for their own game. I’ve never seen anyone not, till then. Nothing personal.

If any HG ever came up to me , if I was also one of them, and says “ I am not in here to win the 500,000, I would automatically walk away from them knowing they are full of crap, and that they think I’m stupid. Haliegh didn’t, as far as I remember, but Sam said it many times. Haliegh just acted like she didnt want to win by what she did. 

Did you watch last season? Half the house wanted to hand the money over to Paul ;)

I think Hayleigh just felt bad that Bay was taking so much heat for Hayleigh's moves. And yeah, she would've been a better game player if she'd just said, "Oh well! Too bad to Bay" but instead she tried to help her friend (which obviously didn't work at all). Sure, this probably speaks to her immaturity and naivete; however, it also shows that she really cares about some of these PEOPLE. I think that is part of what makes this show so interesting. They only met these people 6 weeks ago, but they can fall in love, make babies (maybe!) and possibly damage their own chances for prize money due to how strongly they feel over a castmate. "Welcome to Big Brother!!"

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

There is now, but there wasn't one initially. That is why it is now called the Golden Power of Veto instead of just Power of Veto as the GOLDEN Power of Veto keeps the veto winner from going up. 

Hasn't the name been ret-conned into Power of Veto or do they still call it Golden during the voiceovers? I honestly can't remember. 

39 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

It would be really scary if you have some of the same stuff I have, especially if we’re different ages. ?

A good music appreciation knows no age. And I'll listen to almost anything so long as it has got a good beat to it. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Callaphera said:

Hasn't the name been ret-conned into Power of Veto or do they still call it Golden during the voiceovers? I honestly can't remember. 

I believe they still say "golden," but since it has been this way for, what, 17 years?, that we're just so used to it that we don't even notice it anymore. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Right, but that's why they call that the Diamond Power of Veto. No one would ever take anyone (but themselves) down, since they would just vote out the person they want to vote out, as they're the only voter. 

Huh?  They don’t call that the Diamond Power of Veto.  I presented a scenario in which the person using the veto (the tradition, regular, typical Powet if Veto) on someone else would not be safe.  That’s what Thalia’s question was about.  Standard, run-of-the-mill POVs.  The don’t use the DPOV very often.

12 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

I had thought it went from Power of Veto to Golden Power of Veto when the Veto winner was allowed to use it on him- or herself if the winner were a nominee--first won but not used by Marcellas, of course.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

Huh?  They don’t call that the Diamond Power of Veto.  I presented a scenario in which the person using the veto (the tradition, regular, typical Powet if Veto) on someone else would not be safe.  That’s what Thalia’s question was about.  Standard, run-of-the-mill POVs.  The don’t use the DPOV very often.

Final Four Power of Veto IS the Diamond Power of Veto.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, springbarb said:

I had thought it went from Power of Veto to Golden Power of Veto when the Veto winner was allowed to use it on him- or herself if the winner were a nominee--first won but not used by Marcellas, of course.

You're right, THAT's when it became the Golden Power of Veto. 

2 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

JC just told Faysal that the slip & slide comp is for veto lol.

Considering they're not in lockdown yet I'm guessing it won't be slip & slide. Or is that usually a short set up?

I think it's a short set-up considering that it's an endurance comp but really, how long does it take to throw down some plywood lanes, cover them with a tarp, and then spread the Crisco and Dawn dish soap on them? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

It would be really scary if you have some of the same stuff I have, especially if we’re different ages. ?

Musical triplets! What CD would you want in your HoH basket?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Final Four Power of Veto IS the Diamond Power of Veto.

The Diamond Power of Veto is a POV that gives the winner the power to not only remove someone from the block, but to also nominate a replacement when an original nominee is taken off the block instead of the HOH nominating a replacement.

5 hours ago, gunderda said:

I could see brett do really well on the slip and slide too. Actually anyone except fessy has a great chance at that comp. 

Shh. You’re going to will a Fessy HOH into existence!!

Sorry, he’s my BEC this season. I just can’t stand his pushiness with Haleigh.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, PhoneCop said:

Hard to say because I’d need something upbeat and/or motivating.  I have a handful of favorites.  I’m thinking either Olivia Newton-John’s Greatest Hits Volume 2 or Amy Grant’s Lead Me On.

My other top fave artists are Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and Garth Brooks.  

If I could have a mix CD instead, it would have a variety from those five and a few one-hit wonders from the 80’s.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

Hard to say because I’d need something upbeat and/or motivating.  I have a handful of favorites.  I’m thinking either Olivia Newton-John’s Greatest Hits Volume 2 or Amy Grant’s Lead Me On..

Yep. Kindred spirits. Olivia's GH2 was the first cassette I was given for my first Walkman...

6 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

If I could have a mix CD instead, it would have a variety from those five and a few one-hit wonders from the 80’s.

I was listening to Criminal Element Orchestra while catching up on this thread, LOL.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

Sorry, he’s my BEC this season. I just can’t stand his pushiness with Haleigh.

You'll love this one then. If Faysal is in the HoH room when Haleigh goes to take a shower, watch how he suddenly has so much to tell her while he gets closer and closer to the shower door but funny enough, when she's out of the shower, he doesn't have as much to say. Strange how that happens, eh?

They've all had strategy talks - or even just talks - while someone is in the shower but there's something about the way that Fessy keeps looming closer and closer to the shower door. 

29 minutes ago, PhoneCop said:

I have no idea if BBCAN HoHs get music when they win (I've never actually watched it!) but because I applied last year, I put some thought into this question just in case. And while I can come up with a list of albums as long as my arm that I would want, the best strategy I came up with was to request only double disc albums - so Garth Brooks Double Live, Foo Fighter's In Your Honor, Blue Rodeo's Just Like a Vacation - in hopes of gaming the system. Double your pleasure, double your fun, right? And if you only end up with one disc instead of two, well, I made sure to only pick double albums that I like both discs. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 5

Rockstar mentioned Edward Norton coming from her hometown in Maryland. Why wasn’t she bitching about how “privileged white ass” he was? Norton is from a VERY wealthy family. His grandfather, like, invented the concept of the MALL, believe it or not.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, TimWil said:

Rockstar mentioned Edward Norton coming from her hometown in Maryland. Why wasn’t she bitching about how “white ass, privileged ass” he was? Norton is from a VERY wealthy family. His grandfather, like, invented the concept of the MALL, believe it or not.

6 degrees of separation ! Edward Norton was in American X which had one of the most graphic scenes of curb stomping.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

The Diamond Power of Veto is a POV that gives the winner the power to not only remove someone from the block, but to also nominate a replacement when an original nominee is taken off the block instead of the HOH nominating a replacement.

Which is essentially what is happening when you win the veto at F4 and that's why they call it the DPOV at F4.

1 hour ago, Callaphera said:

I have no idea if BBCAN HoHs get music when they win ...

They do. I believe they get an mp3 player and I wanna say they get a mix tape rather than one album, but I'm not sure if I made that up or not lol.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, missyb said:

6 degrees of separation ! Edward Norton was in American X which had one of the most graphic scenes of curb stomping.

True story: that's the first and only time I ever heard of it, until AltSam's bizarre monolog. (And my "privileged white ass" is far less privileged than FraggleRock's.) 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, missyb said:

Brett definitely has a Dr WIll case going for him in final 2. He was public enemy three weeks in a row and through good social game, took his name off that list. He was a valuable alliance member who infiltrated the other side. They all had jobs and he did his as well as any other member in his alliance. It wasn't his job to win comps until the end. Something of that nature.

Lately I've been really bad about not finishing my thoughts - getting older sucks!  You're right, he can make a case, but I've noticed a trend in jury where players that have lost their shot aren't recognizing game moves as game moves.  They don't want to admit that someone "got them" or bested them, and refuse to admit that it was a solid game move.  Wins can't be taken away from them though.  A win is a win.  While we can separate ourselves and take a look at the big picture, a lot of the time those in the house cannot.  I think it would help Brett's resume to win a comp sooner rather than later.  Could he still win without comp wins?  Sure.  This jury I think will be better than those in the past, mostly because this cast isn't full of horrible people.  But if it was me and $500,000 was on the line? I wouldn't chance it.

3 hours ago, IndyMischa said:

I agree with you, although I don't know that Brett is savvy enough to pull it off as well as Will did. 

I don't think he is either, which is why I really think it would help boost his resume to win a comp.  He's not as polished as he should be if he wanted to get away with it.  His speeches and explanations are more shock value and for entertainment.

Edited by Slider
Clarity
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PhoneCop said:

*bounces* Can I play??

I'd be happy with any Alice in Chains ("shockerrrrrr" - Daniele Donato) but if I *had* to pick a specific album, I'll say... Facelift. Tripod's my favorite but I think I'd get the most catharsis from Facelift.

Also, either Appetite For Destruction or Use Your Illusion I by Guns N' Roses. Or Mother Love Bone. Or Above by Mad Season.

Okay, if I don't stop here, I'll never stop.

[/music nerddom]

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Slider said:

Lately I've been really bad about not finishing my thoughts - getting older sucks!  You're right, he can make a case, but I've noticed a trend in jury where players that have lost their shot aren't recognizing game moves as game moves.  They don't want to admit that someone "got them" or bested them, and refuse to admit that it was a solid game move.  Wins can't be taken away from them though.  A win is a win.  While we can separate ourselves and take a look at the big picture, a lot of the time those in the house cannot.  I think it would help Brett's resume to win a comp sooner rather than later.  Could he still win without comp wins?  Sure.  This jury I think will be better than those in the past, mostly because this cast isn't full of horrible people.  But if it was me and $500,000 was on the line? I wouldn't chance it.

This is a solid point. Particularly compared to the last couple of years (and with one or two notable exceptions), this year's jury should rank far lower on the "horrible people" scale. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Callaphera said:

I was really impressed when Big Brother threatened to cut off backyard access if certain people (*coughJCcough*) continued to sing and it worked for a short while! But it was a toothless threat and I think they've just given up. 

I know it's just a recorded voice and someone hitting a button on a control panel but sometimes I feel like Big Brother doesn't deserve all the backtalk that they've gotten this season. 

Best mental image ever. 

Sometimes when they get the voice a few time and then it cuts to fish I like to think an actual voice came on and bitched them out for a bit. 

2 hours ago, Callaphera said:

I have no idea if BBCAN HoHs get music when they win (I've never actually watched it!) but because I applied last year, I put some thought into this question just in case. And while I can come up with a list of albums as long as my arm that I would want, the best strategy I came up with was to request only double disc albums - so Garth Brooks Double Live, Foo Fighter's In Your Honor, Blue Rodeo's Just Like a Vacation - in hopes of gaming the system. Double your pleasure, double your fun, right? And if you only end up with one disc instead of two, well, I made sure to only pick double albums that I like both discs. 

Not to be a Debbie downer but I think they can only request artists - not actually albums. But I could be wrong!  However - plus side to them now using an iPod you would definitely get all songs from a double disc album. That wouldn’t have been the case when they still used a CD player. 

Where’s fessy while Haleigh and Scottie are having a date on a blanket in the backyard????

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, gunderda said:

Angela is talking about her gymnastics past again. 

She’s probably so bored she doesn’t even remember talking about before. Usually, it’s get boring when it’s down to the Final 6 but we’re not even that close. They are going stir crazy!

26 minutes ago, gunderda said:

Angela is talking about her gymnastics past again. 

Well, to be fair she’s telling it primarily to Brett, who’s never heard it before. And he’s somewhat riveted by it. At least her story wasn’t interrupted by Sam who last time gushed over what a beautiful ballerina Angela would have been.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 2

Also, just before they switched to Sam and JC in the have not room, Hay was saying to Scottie, I wonder if they get as bored as I do when Angela talks. 

I wonder if Hay would be shocked that I get bored  almost whenever she is on the feeds. 

• Love 11

I wanted to hear her entire story as well and how she discovered pole vaulting as her specialty. Even tonight, they left her at almost the same spot to join Sam and Jc in the HN room. Its like falling asleep watching a movie over and over and you keep falling asleep at the same spot every time.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Did Angela ever finish telling her life story to Tyler? I only saw up until her getting into college. Was there more to it? It actually WAS an interesting story, honestly. She's had a weird ride.

From my understanding, the story ended there because Scottie and either JC or Faysal were on a game talk-blocking mission and Tyler and Angela alone in the hammock was a big no-no.

I think it was Haleigh that had an interesting backstory also, starting with finding out that she was adopted when she was in the sixth grade but I also haven't been able to find or catch all of that story, either. 

I'll give them all credit: they keep quiet about stuff like this and they don't use it as strategy, which I appreciate. I always roll my eyes when the parent dying of cancer or daughter that needs surgery gets brought up on Survivor - especially in final tribal - because you know they're trying for the sympathy votes and I find it a little icky. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 7

JC just did sex education with a condom and a cucumber, including why a condom is worn and how to use one correctly for Scottie and Kaycee. 

Angela and Kaycee kept prompting him re: what’s prevented as he went down the laundry list of viruses, etc., until they gave a shout out to pregnancy.  

Scottie was genuinely surprised by a few things, including how to correctly remove the condom. All in all, good talk. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Callaphera said:

In all seriousness, I want to see Sam win the next HoH because I want to see if she's going to go on a vengeance tour and just mow down everyone in her way like a fourteen year old playing Call of Duty. Bonus points if she stands on the Sky Bridge and yells down "Who's making fun of who now, bitch?". Hell hath no fury and all that. 

The  mental thought of Sam going all Scarface (the Al Pacino version) if she won HOH is hilarious.

In regards to what HOH music I would ask for.  I think I might go with something from the Squeeze, the Temptations or maybe the NWA.  It would depend on my mood.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, springbarb said:

Actually, the original wasn’t “Power of Veto”, either - it was the “Silver Power of Veto”.  And the winner could use it on another HG, but not on themselves even if they were already OTB.  It was intro’ed in BB3, but I don’t think it tested well with audiences - and hence the Golden Power of Veto was born, and has been used ever since.

5 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

My tastes in the real world generally run towards Alice In Chains, Shinedown, Greta Van Fleet, etc. - but in the House I expect I’d probably prefer - no, make that NEED - something more along the lines of Chris Isaak (either Heart Shaped World or Forever Blue).  Tune me up in the HoH with some Slipknot or Disturbed, and someone’s gonna die.  In that toxic House environment. I’d need to mellow out  :>

Edited by Nashville
Typo, expansion
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, gunderda said:

Not to be a Debbie downer but I think they can only request artists - not actually albums. But I could be wrong!  However - plus side to them now using an iPod you would definitely get all songs from a double disc album. That wouldn’t have been the case when they still used a CD player. 

You're right, it's just a playlist. Huh. That kinda blows. My other strategy - if the double album thing didn't work out - was going to be picking something that would utterly chill me out, like Pink Floyd. But now I have to come up with an utterly batshit playlist on the 0.0001% chance I actually get on BBCAN. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Oh SHIT.  Fessy just ripped the HoH BA vanity off the fucking wall by sitting on it.

The voice calling him to the DR sounded a little more... angry than normal. Heh. Bye bye, chunk of his stipend?

Sam's gonna lose her shit when she realizes that no one in the house is going to fix it, just like she went off about the toilet seat. 

ETA: Thank you, Twitter.

Edited by Callaphera
Found an actual clip with sound
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

The voice calling him to the DR sounded a little more... angry than normal. Heh. Bye bye, chunk of his stipend?

Sam's gonna lose her shit when she realizes that no one in the house is going to fix it, just like she went off about the toilet seat. 

ETA: Thank you, Twitter.

On BBAD, they went to commercial as soon as it broke from the wall.

42 minutes ago, llongori said:

On BBAD, they went to commercial as soon as it broke from the wall.

Yeah, that was just bad timing; Pop had run the “We’ll Be Back!” ticker right before Fessy decided it was time to remodel the upstairs bathroom.  :)