Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E39: 1 Of 3 Voted Off

• Start Topic

I think it's been consistent throughout -- Jena has not been able to do post show dinner without talking with a mouth full of food.  It's like she cannot start talking until she takes a bite.  I feel like such the mom that I am, but close your dang mouth, Jena!

• Love 1

They keep cutting to JLo during the performances instead of focusing on the singer.  Now, during Alex's hometown package, they did a split screen so I can watch JLo react. Oh joy!  I am supposed to appreciate and enjoy this because...?

• Love 6

Or not react -- she was stone cold on the split screen.  I almost feel like they were pulling a fast one on her after they had to give her the allotted screen time on every performance all season.

Bye, Alex.  Harry stood up for you!

• Love 1

All I care about is how good Danny Gokey looked and how rough Elliott Yamin looked.  I hope he's okay.  To be honest, none of the contestants did much for me this season, but I'm loyal to the show.

• Love 3

ONTHEBRINK, in general, rockers have badmouthed Idol because they feel that it's the fast track to stardom rather than years of paying dues.  Except for Taylor Hicks, of course, who was a working musican for a long time.  Gene Simmons just likes the attention.

• Love 2
(edited)

ONTHEBRINK, in general, rockers have badmouthed Idol because they feel that it's the fast track to stardom rather than years of paying dues.  Except for Taylor Hicks, of course, who was a working musican for a long time.  Gene Simmons just likes the attention.

Truer words were never spoken! Kind of an understatement really.

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 1

The JLo close-ups are getting ridiculous.  For anyone that didn't know they would think she was Alex's mother.  They had the camera on her for most of Alex's hometown visit.  It really seemed out of place.

I hope Caleb wins now.  Just so Jena doesn't. 

I did laugh at JLo telling Ryan she wasn't the only one that liked younger men. 

• Love 3

I guess Caleb is off vocal rest now that he got his sympathy votes or maybe he was miraculously healed like Mr. Kidman stated. TPTB couldn't give Alex the decency of not doing a split screen of JLow during his hometown video. Ugh. Well I'm out. No reason for me to see the end of the season out. This season was reminiscent of season 10 so I guess it was appropriate to have Scotty be the guest performer for tonight's results show. I skipped that final (and I actually liked Scotty) and I'll skip this one. Enjoyed the snark. Until the next and probably last season of Idol...

• Love 5

Is your donkey cute?

Well, I'm cute ....and my donkey hasn't had any complaints. :)

Poor Alex. I think he knew he was toast and I think he was okay with being toast. I, however, am not okay with it.

Team Caleb, then! and it sort of pinches me in the gizzard to say that.

• Love 3

Remember when they got ZZ TOP for D.Cook (S 7 finale)? That was REALLY random. (We'll see if Per Blankens can do this as well as Nigel, who really was great at finales).

Caleb's brother on stage made Caleb look petite, and Sprinkles look like a hobbit. I still don't get how a teenager comes to regard freaking Kiss as his favorite band.

Alex reacted very professionally, and did a great job on Fairytales. Is Preston a stage name?- his parents both had a last name that started with P, but it  wasn't Preston.

I think Jena/Caleb will be a good, noisy, bombastic battle; sounds like Caleb's voice has returned and Jena, of course, doesn't seem to have ever lost hers. I don't care who wins, I like them both. Either one will do a fantastic job on the obligatory National Anthems.

With Alex gone, I'm torn who I want to win.  Do I want an arrogant asshole (who admittedly can sing) who thinks his fans are...well you know?  Or do I want a youngun who sings in tongues?  Maybe she'll do the ultimate performance next week and turn her head a 360°.  Now THAT would be kewl!  

Decisions, decisions.

• Love 3

The New England curse strikes again!

Casualties:

2010 - Katie Stevens (Connecticut) and Siobhan Magnus (Massachusetts)

2012 - Erika Van Pelt (Rhode Island)

2013 - Angie Miller (Massachusetts)

and the latest member:

2014 - Alex Preston (New Hampshire)

It doesn't matter what JENA@!#$ sings, Caleb--bad voice, hubris, and all--will win.

It's sort of a reversal of the Civil War.

• Love 1

Based on last night's performances, I think this is the proper final 2. I think either one could take the title. Jena, for obvious reasons- pretty, young, marketable. People may also want to see history made as she would be one of the few non-Southern winners and also the first wildcard to win. Caleb, on the other hand, would be the first male winner to audition 3 times a la Candice and would be the first hard rocker to win Idol, which many people want to see. The problem is that his mouth has gotten him into trouble many times this season and I'm not sure he's the right "face" to represent the Idol franchise. I think Jena would be better at that, you know, doing everything she's told and putting a smile on her face all the time and stuff. And she is young and marketable, which is what Idol needs to compete with The Voice, especially since Jena is very similar to The Voice's Christina Grimmie. I personally want Caleb to win just because I would like to see a hard rocker win and I think he deserves it after trying out 3 freakin' times and I just love his style of music and voice, but I think Jena will end up winning. 

WTH was with the JLo closeup during Alex's hometown visit? That was infuriating! And it's not like they did that during the other 2 hometown visits either, just Alex's. 

Ryan's new puppy was so cute!

I suppose I would watch Caleb make the rounds on various shows if he won. I will not be able to stomach watching Jehna on anything . Period. After Jess got canned  I was pulling for an Alex/Caleb finale, so of course - well... there you have it ... not. Alex had a nice exit. Too bad his home thing was split with JLo's face which seems odd to me. Must be in the contract as mentioned.

• Love 2

Methinks 19E just guaranteed themselves a Jena win.  KISS will never translate well into votes.  Caleb was already up against it as a rocker.  This seals his doom.  Of course, as many have said, losing may be the best thing for him in the long term anyway. 

Will Caleb now go down in Idol lore as "The plumber?" 

• Love 3

So how does having Caleb perform with Kiss show that he can be current and relevant?  Anyone think they may be the only rockers that would have anything to do with Idol?

Probably. Didn't they also show up for Adam? It gave him an excuse to wear that outfit, but still not exactly his style.

I got the finale I wanted and I don't much care who wins. I like Caleb's voice better, but Jena has her moments.

Caleb's little bro is a giant. The shots of J Lo's face kept reminding me of when Nicole would try and fail to make herself cry on X Factor.

Caleb showing up at a real life "school of rock" made me laugh a bit. Too bad they couldn't get tenacious D for the finale.

Well I tried to find their new songs on iTunes but I can only find Jena's. Weird. Well her song is nothing that special but it definitely sounds current and radio-friendly. Much better than most coronation songs in past seasons.

There have been years in which I didn't care who won Idol, but this is the first time I remember actively disliking both finalists.  They could very well surprise me, but I can't picture either Caleb or Jena as recording stars.  Perhaps they could parlay their Idol fame into acting and do "Ma and Pa Kettle:  The Young and Chubby Years." 

• Love 1

There have been years in which I didn't care who won Idol, but this is the first time I remember actively disliking both finalists.  They could very well surprise me, but I can't picture either Caleb or Jena as recording stars.  Perhaps they could parlay their Idol fame into acting and do "Ma and Pa Kettle:  The Young and Chubby Years." 

I see action figures in their future:  Ma and Pa Buttcrack and their little brother, Bubba Houston, complete with his man bun.  :)

Well, that was disappointing but not surprising. I also think it was no surprise to Alex. After all, JENA!@#$ and Caleb have been declared the final two for quite awhile now.

I noticed that when everyone was up on the stage at the end of the show with the final three, JLo left the stage before the show went off the air. Apparently her 15 million dollar contract does not have a clause stipulating that she must give a damn about the contestants when she is not on camera. Not a surprise.

(edited)

I think Caleb's going to win easy, although I don't think he deserves it. He's Southern and male, both of which would've steamrolled any girl standing next to him. This is the way Idol works now. I will say Jena will make it a closer loss than Sanchez or Laurne Alaina did though, since she's a rock contestant (which appeals to audiences). She's still lost though, unfortunately.

It's sad. He'll only be slightly above McCreery and Phillips as the worst winner for me. I can't help but blame JLO. At least Alex is gone.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

I don't even want to watch the show next week.  I do think that Caleb will have a nice career in Vegas or somewhere in a club show doing retro 80's for all the mid lifers on vacation.  Perhaps a cruise ship as well.  

Jena is doomed in the over saturated market for her type of music.  There are many do it much better than her.  She needs seasoning and by that time, she will be forgotten for the next big thing.  

I see Alex working and having a good career and writing as well.  He is the most legit of all in my eyes even though he wasn't quite as loud and flamboyant for a reality tv show.  

I do not like the show shenanigans and manipulation.  It makes me roll my eyes until my cats think I am having a medical reaction to something.  It causes them stress because they cannot call 911 if I fall off my chair.

• Love 6
(edited)

Lots of older rock bands have been involved in idol:  Queen, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, Lynyrd Skynard, Bon Jovi (who was still current at the time--are they still making albums?)....Maybe Jena's running away with the votes and KISS, Caleb's favorite band, was brought on as Caleb's second place prize as was speculated about Bo Bice singing with Lynyrd Skynard.  As for a teenager having KISS as their favorite band:  My 13 year old loves oldies and her favorite bands are Journey, Queen, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Garth Brooks....and one of my 16 year old's favorite songs is Bohemian Rhapsody (although, most of his favorite bands/songs are the current ones).  I guess it's just what they are exposed to.  In my car, it's classic rock, in their father's it's current rock and roll. 

Scotty sounded much better in his idol season than he did last night.

I think Jena's going to win this.  Meh. 

Edited by Shannon L.

I do think that Caleb will have a nice career in Vegas or somewhere in a club show doing retro 80's for all the mid lifers on vacation.  Perhaps a cruise ship as well.

I think he'll be doing a road production of "Rock of Ages" in a year or so.  Pretending to be a rock singer is kind of his thing.

• Love 4
(edited)

When Ryan sent the puppy offstage, after that he said, "These three can't wait! to hear the news." The camera panned to the three sitting wherever they sit and Alex was slumped with an expression of, "Just shoot me now." *sigh* He got robbed imo.

Please scroll past me if I've become obnoxious (become? that ship has long sailed) with my observations. My favorite Jehna-isms currently consist of the following:

"Reet no" = right now

At the Algonquin Round Table: "Every week I have to poop myself." (Prove myself?) Maybe it's the speaking with a mouth full of food.

And the pièce de résistance that truly makes me stabby: "Come see me on TORE!" 

(tore=tour) And does she realize there will be 9 other folks on TORE with her?

Loved Alex's singout, but wasn't surprised that I loved it. Felt sad though. Now we'll be left with a screechfest, imo. Caleb FTW.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4

The South gets er done again.  Simple as that.  New England is like an Idol death trap for contestants.  

Caleb doesn't sound really super southern to me. I think I wouldn't have known if they hadn't talked about his home state. But I'm totally pulling for him now because he is ABJ (Anyone But Jehna.)

I'll miss Alex, but I guess he is performing next week anyway with some of the other castoffs. This blows.

Not an unexpected result - still disappointing all the same.

I hope Alex and Sam room together and come up with plan to put out some songs together - I've enjoyed their voices individually and I think they are quite wonderful when singing as a duo.

• Love 4