Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E39: 1 Of 3 Voted Off

• Start Topic

(edited)

Stop mocking maaaaaay!

NAY-VAYER!

(never)

And it would have been awesome if you had told me, "stop mocking maaaayyy ....reet no!"

(right now)

But I have to go with Ohwell so I stand corrected. It is, "Come see maaaayyyy on TORE!"

I am so going to hell.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2
(edited)

Alex was robbed IMO.  I was so disappointed to see him leave last night.  I'm a Caleb fan, but really wanted a Caleb/Alex finale.

Oh well.  More of Jena Irene.  Does anyone know her middle name.  She's set to win this, HOWEVER, Caleb has a secret weapon.  His middle name is PERRY. Double r's in his name and is from the south.  It's his to lose with this combo.  I'm not kidding.  If he wins, it will be the third from North Carolina.  ............................................

I'm editing since I discovered that Jena's last name is Asciuttio, so she has double letters in her last name, which trumps the double letters in Caleb's middle name. But, she is not from the south, so I guess they are evenly split on the AI folklore.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
(edited)

Dear, dear ari333, don't you know you can't hurt Jena--after all, she's "tuh-tonniome!!!!!!!!!!!!"   (titanium)

Hee!

Screech it, sister! Screech it loud and screech it long because you, as a fellow poster, are very spatial to maayyy reet no.

Oh dear god I love that song and she butchered it and buried it out back. Mr. Ari thought she was singing, "plutonium." Forgive him. He's not as cool and hip as I am. :)

If this thread were not so much fun I would skip the rest of this fiasco show.

If I can't have Georgia the puppy FTW, then Caleb FTW.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

I really thought AI would pull off Caleb's big brother Meatloaf to sing with him in the final. KISS is about the only guest I even know, but still care little about. And I really don't care who wins as I think both Caleb and Jena will crash and burn. Or at least never acheive more than medicore success. Ugh.

• Love 2

An announcement of impending Meatloaf would have been so on the nose, so of course that didn't happen.

As mentioned, I too feel a rude awakening around the corner after the AI bubble is over.

So when they were "driving" their respective Fords and singing their stupid coronation or whatever those hot steaming pile of ass songs were -  did anyone notice Jehna closed her eyes.... while "driving?".

I'll be in hell if you need me, enjoying some delicious dip.  I'm a double dipper, but it's hell so...

• Love 1
(edited)

Last year I was screaming at my TV when Angie Miller got sent home. I think she would've been a marketing dream. AI often shoots themselves in the foot.

This year's finale? Meh. The announcements are giving me deja vu......haven't those special guests all been on there before? Jason Mraz was there like last week. You could tell that Alex was surprised (not)..

Scotty looks like he's been hitting a few keggers in college.

JENA's brother seems very overly excited about this thing. How old is he? Does he ever attend school? I kept thinking he was Sue Heck's friend Brad from The Middle.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 3

JLo was quick with that "I'm not the only one" snark back to Ryan. Good one. (IS she still with her Papi?) [/nosy] I'm pot calling kettle, so let me shut my piehole on that.

McCreery has a bass voice and I'm a sucker for one. However, the lyrics to some songs remind me of Dana Carvey and his "Choppin' Broccoli" comedy bit about musicians and their pronunciation and lyrics etc.  I need to go find a clip reet no because it's hilarious, but hard to describe.

JENA's brother seems very overly excited about this thing. How old is he? Does he ever attend school? I kept thinking he was Sue Heck's friend Brad from The Middle.

Omg THIS. I was trying to place who he reminds me of. Brad. Yes!

• Love 1

Alex was robbed IMO.  I was so disappointed to see him leave last night.  I'm a Caleb fan, but really wanted a Caleb/Alex finale.

Oh well.  More of Jena Irene.  Does anyone know her middle name.  She's set to win this, HOWEVER, Caleb has a secret weapon.  His middle name is PERRY. Double r's in his name and is from the south.  It's his to lose with this combo.  I'm not kidding.  If he wins, it will be the third from North Carolina.  ............................................

I'm editing since I discovered that Jena's last name is Asciuttio, so she has double letters in her last name, which trumps the double letters in Caleb's middle name. But, she is not from the south, so I guess they are evenly split on the AI folklore.  

The other piece of Idol folklore is that the winner is always the person whose first name is lower down the alphabet than the runner-up. The tradition finally broke last season though. So, if the tradition picked back up, Jena will win.

Well I just listened to both of their coronation singles:

Caleb: "As Long As You Love Me"- It's okay. It's kind of an '80s rock song but sounds modern at the same time. I think it's the kind of song I need to listen to a few times before it grows on me. The chorus has lots of high notes in it.

Jena: "We Are One"- It's a pretty standard textbook EDM pop song. It's nothing groundbreaking, new, or special, but it's catchy and radio-friendly. It's current. I could see it getting decent airplay if Interscope pushes her.

Both of these songs are pretty overproduced though and I feel like both will sound pretty horrible live. There's a lot of high notes in both of them and they are buried in tons of production. Both songs fit their respective styles quite well though and are actual songs instead of the usual dreck about rainbows and flying without wings and being beautiful and this is their now and it's a moment like this and it's the time of their life and it's a beautiful day inside their heaven. Not as good as Home, but they're better than most coronation songs. They actually sound like songs you could hear on the radio.

(edited)

The other piece of Idol folklore is that the winner is always the person whose first name is lower down the alphabet than the runner-up. The tradition finally broke last season though. So, if the tradition picked back up, Jena will win.

If only they had spelled his name Kaleb. :)

Glad Elliott Yamin got a word in.

Jehna's grandparents warmed my cold, black heart.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1
(edited)

I hope Alex and Sam room together and come up with plan to put out some songs together - I've enjoyed their voices individually and I think they are quite wonderful when singing as a duo.

I don't know what Alex's plans are, or how Sam would work around attending Berklee, but I'd love to see them performing together.   

Also, Eliot Yamin looked like ass.  I hope he's well.  Didn't he have some kind of medical condition?

Edited by Ohwell

Elliott has diabetes.  

According to Wikipedia, Preston is Alex's middle name.  His last name is Philbrick.

I'm rooting for Caleb, but I think Jena is probably going to win this. I've heard both their singles this morning and I like them both.  They actually sound like music you might expect them to make.

Jena is doomed in the over saturated market for her type of music.  There are many do it much better than her.  She needs seasoning and by that time, she will be forgotten for the next big thing.

Bullseye! Jena looks like a teen pop singer out of Central Casting. I don't see anything new that I haven't seen before. Which is why I do not understand why everyone says that she's "current." She looks and sounds like every other white female pop singer out there. With apologies to Gertrude Stein, there's no there there.

• Love 1

Depending on what they sound like live, I think Jena probably got the better coronation song. Neither of them sounds like another "Home" but both are better than the usual coronation dreck. The overall sound of Caleb's reminded me a bit of Adam's glam rock throwback first album, which isn't really what I pictured for Caleb, but it's not bad.

The Jena song kinda sounds like a generic Katy Perry type song, but I agree that it's very radio friendly. There may not be much there when you strip out the production though.

• Love 1

Just because Jena may be like a lot of other singers doesn't have anything to do with being current or not- the fact that she IS like another Haley Williams, a Demi Lovato, a Christina Grimmie shows she IS current. Just like Alex is also very current because indie music is very popular right now. I think Jena still stands out enough from the other female pop singers since she can also play piano. I feel like there are 2 sides to her: The "Haley Williams" side where she runs around the stage and does more rock stuff, and then the "Regina Spektor" side of her where she strips it down and plays the piano. She has versatility. That's why I see her being a very successful and marketable artist, in spite of the fact there are other singers currently like her, because she has a couple different sides to herself. Her album and concert setlist would be an equal balance between rock songs and stripped down piano ballads. Unlike most of her competitors this season (Caleb, Alex, Jessica, Sam), they could only really do 1 type of song, whereas Jena can do both, about equally as well.

(edited)

Just because Jena may be like a lot of other singers doesn't have anything to do with being current or not- the fact that she IS like another Haley Williams, a Demi Lovato, a Christina Grimmie shows she IS current. Just like Alex is also very current because indie music is very popular right now. I think Jena still stands out enough from the other female pop singers since she can also play piano. I feel like there are 2 sides to her: The "Haley Williams" side where she runs around the stage and does more rock stuff, and then the "Regina Spektor" side of her where she strips it down and plays the piano. She has versatility. That's why I see her being a very successful and marketable artist, in spite of the fact there are other singers currently like her, because she has a couple different sides to herself. Her album and concert setlist would be an equal balance between rock songs and stripped down piano ballads. Unlike most of her competitors this season (Caleb, Alex, Jessica, Sam), they could only really do 1 type of song, whereas Jena can do both, about equally as well.

Your post proves my argument. She may be "current," but she's not original. You mentioned that Jena plays the piano as well as sings. Well, there's another Italian-American singer who sings and plays the piano and "has a couple [of] different sides to herself." Her name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, who you know better as Lady Gaga. As a matter of fact, Jena is literally copying Lady Gaga's formula except that I can understand what Gaga is singing.

Perhaps Jena will become "successful," but it's going to take a lot of work. Plus, there are many hurdles (not to mention other singers) for her to jump over.

Edited by Nedsdag
If this thread were not so much fun I would skip the rest of this fiasco show.

If I can't have Georgia the puppy FTW, then Caleb FTW.

The thread is still good even if you don't watch. Trust me.

• Love 1

The days when fans of the show would flock to buy their favorite Idol's first album are long gone, so anybody coming off this show will need a combination of luck, hard work and effective marketing to break into mainstream radio or become a "national act" type artist. Most will probably either continue to play lower profile gigs or settle into a niche market or go do something else.

PP hit the jackpot with the song "Home." Whether his first album would have faded into obscurity without it, who knows. Managing to record and get people to play a tune that catches fire like "Royals" for Lorde, is generally the thing that separates "stars" from working musicians.

Coming up with a schtick or style that sets you apart & having catchy tunes is what sets the upper crust like Gaga, Katie Perry, etc above the minor stars.

If you have truly exceptional talent.....Whitney, Adele, Aretha, etc you don't need the schtick, though if you can combine talent, schtick & catchy tunes even better.

Jena doesn't have exceptional talent, but she has enough that with the right tunes, she could be a Lovato type success. Doesn't mean she will, but I think she could.

I think he'll be doing a road production of "Rock of Ages" in a year or so.  Pretending to be a rock singer is kind of his thing.

You know, I'll give him credit.  He'll probably be in the BROADWAY version of "Rock of Ages".

Then again, Constantstink got that job too.

Bullseye! Jena looks like a teen pop singer out of Central Casting. I don't see anything new that I haven't seen before. Which is why I do not understand why everyone says that she's "current." She looks and sounds like every other white female pop singer out there. 

You know, I assumed she was Hispanic from her look, but this claims she's not:  http://ethnicelebs.com/jena-irene

Caleb's coronation song has lots of high notes because it was written by Justin Hawkins, the lead singer of the glam-metal band The Darkness.  If you think Caleb's song is high, then listen to The Darkness' "I Believe In a Thing Called Love".  Now that's a falsetto.

Jena's coronation song was co-written by Felicia Barton, who was a semifinalist on Idol many years ago (and was robbed by the judges, IMO).  Both songs seem tolerable enough and not a trainwreck like so many other coronation songs.  That's good enough for me.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I like both Jena and Caleb (and I liked Alex too - I hope he has a good career).  For once I don't feel like I'm rooting for either finalist.

I like them both, too. I was thinking this is probably the most 'equal' match-up since S2. Idol hasn't had a male/female top 2 that were so balanced, ever, IMO; with all the others, it was pretty clear Kelly/Carrie/Taylor/Jordan/Lee/Scotty/PP were going to win; this time, I'm really not sure.

Did we see Caleb's parents yet? His brother honestly made Caleb look like Noel Coward.

Your post proves my argument. She may be "current," but she's not original. You mentioned that Jena plays the piano as well as sings. Well, there's another Italian-American singer who sings and plays the piano and "has a couple [of] different sides to herself." Her name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, who you know better as Lady Gaga. As a matter of fact, Jena is literally copying Lady Gaga's formula except that I can understand what Gaga is singing.

Perhaps Jena will become "successful," but it's going to take a lot of work. Plus, there are many hurdles (not to mention other singers) for her to jump over.

That isn't what you said in your OP though. You said "I don't get why she's considered current- she is nothing I haven't seen before." Originality has nothing to do with being current or not. 

I like them both, too. I was thinking this is probably the most 'equal' match-up since S2. Idol hasn't had a male/female top 2 that were so balanced, ever, IMO; with all the others, it was pretty clear Kelly/Carrie/Taylor/Jordan/Lee/Scotty/PP were going to win; this time, I'm really not sure.

Did we see Caleb's parents yet? His brother honestly made Caleb look like Noel Coward.

I disagree. I think in S10 it wasn't quite obvious who would win since both were young country singers, about the same age too. And I thought in S9 everyone expected Crystal to win. And in S11 Jessica Sanchez. In fact, I think in S11 people were expecting a Jessica/Joshua finale. Also last season either Candice or Kree could have taken it.

Caleb's parents were shown at one point. I can't remember what week it was but they had interviewed his parents for a pre-performance package, I think.

That isn't what you said in your OP though. You said "I don't get why she's considered current- she is nothing I haven't seen before." Originality has nothing to do with being current or not.

But what makes these singers "current?" Doing something that hasn't been done before. Look, you are a fan of hers, I am not. Have you seen a singer named St. Vincent? She's also doing something "different," which is why Jena will have a difficult time so to speak.

TBTH, both Caleb and Jena need to front bands.

(edited)

But what makes these singers "current?" Doing something that hasn't been done before. Look, you are a fan of hers, I am not. Have you seen a singer named St. Vincent? She's also doing something "different," which is why Jena will have a difficult time so to speak.

TBTH, both Caleb and Jena need to front bands.

I'm actually not an avid supporter of Jena. You don't have to be a fan to see the potential that she has or see what she brings to the table. Being current is not "doing something that has never been done before." That's not at ALL what the word "current" means. It means whatever type of music is popular at the present time. Alex, Jena, Sam, and Dexter are prime examples from this season of being "current" artists because the type of music they all do is stuff that's being done right now and is popular and successful. Caleb, as many people have noted, is not current- his type of music is mostly 1970s or '80s which of course is not being done in 2014. THAT'S what the word "current" means- it has zero to do with originality.

Edited by BogoGog24
(edited)

As for the judges and their rehashed clips and commentary, I don't care if Jehna is "original" (someone kindly show me where, because I missed it?) I don't care a lick if she's "current."

Bottom line -- I can't stand her and I change the channel soon after she appears  on my screen. So there's that. (imo) 

Edited by ari333

You may not care and a lot of people may not care- but Interscope and TPTB do care because they need someone who can sell records after the show. Like her or not, Jena is what I would consider current, even if she isn't that different from other pop girls right now like Demi and Paramore (they are clearly trying to make her a mini Demi or a Haley Williams for the tweens)

You may not care and a lot of people may not care- but Interscope and TPTB do care because they need someone who can sell records after the show. Like her or not, Jena is what I would consider current, even if she isn't that different from other pop girls right now like Demi and Paramore (they are clearly trying to make her a mini Demi or a Haley Williams for the tweens)

This is an interesting point given the changing ratings expectations with the show.  Although they always pretended to care about winners being successful, they weren't too put out by the big gaps between that actually happening because the show and it's ratings were really the most important thing to them.  But now that they've even admitted in recent releases and interviews that they never expect the show to be the ratings juggernaut it used to be again, I think that ups the importance of the secondary income streams to the franchise from their share of the recording profits.

• Love 1
(edited)

You don't have to be a fan to see the potential that she has or see what she brings to the table.

BogoGog24, we will never agree on whether Jena is current or not. Besides, it's not up to us on a message board; it's up to the record company, management, and the general music public. If they want to hear Miss Lousy Low Register, Screaming Meamie end note, Mumble Mouth, then who am I to judge. Apparently, TPTB are going all out to make Jena into the new Demi Lovato (God forbid), but there's already someone out there making hit records and that's Ariana Grande. Can Jena outsell her? I'm not a fan of AG either, but c'est la vie. Also, Hayley Williams is still the lead singer of Paramore and not a solo artist yet. Does Jena want to front a band? It's just sad that the current music scene is dependent on the lack of singers with actual talent. Also, I'm still bitter over last season and TPTB's treatment of Candice, who I will admit is not current. The fact they all pulling out the stops to make Jena a star at the expense of Candice who was overshadowed by the Battle of the Divas last season is criminal. Plus, Jena just bugs. I don't know if it's her, her stage mom, the tushie kissing from Queen Big Tushie herself or what?

So, BogoGog24, the ball is back in your court. 

Edited by Nedsdag

I've been out of town & just watched this. My only real reaction is meh. I can't stand Caleb or Jena. I'd like them both to lose. What a loser of a season. Meh. Blah. Snooze. Bored.

I was on a road trip with my kids these past couple of days & we often play games in the car to pass the time. At one point we played Mad Gabs. One kid would read the card & the rest of us would guess. For example they would read: "Delete Elmer Made" & the answer is "The Little Mermaid" or "Wheel Yum Air Ream He" is really "Will You Marry Me". As we played I couldn't quit laughing. I realized I was playing JENA$!@

• Love 3
(edited)

I`m still trying to get my head around the idea that somehow Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, and Haley Williams are at all similar to each other.  To me the only thing those three have in common is that they`re popular young female singers who are or have recently been on the charts.  Otherwise I find very little on which to compare them. 

Demi Lovato is the product of the kids TV industry and has been reduced to singing mostly the shallowest type of formula pop that comes straight out of Hollywood song writing machine, to which she does at least add a good dose of grit (probably mostly genuine given all the tough times she's lived through). 

Though Ariana also comes out of the kids TV industry, she sings primarily R&B or R&B infused tunes that also offer little originality in themselves (or any grit at all), but stand out because of her superb vocals mixed with her cutesy performances. 

For her part, Haley Williams did it the old fashion way by helping form a local pop-punk band while still in high school, writing or co-writing most of their songs, getting signed by an alternative label, and then making it big due to pure talent and good timing.  While a couple of her latest songs are a little more on the pop side, she's still basically the lead singer of an alternative rock band.  All you have to do is listen to Paramore's latest album beyond "Ain't in Fun" if you think any differently. 

At the same time, I can see why Jena might at times be compared to those three, plus Katy Perry, Regina Spektor and Lady Gaga.  She has shown an ability to handle an impressive range of genres, which of course makes it difficult to figure out exactly what kind of artist she'd be once she makes it out into the real world.  They seem to be aiming her at somewhere between Demi and Katy, though I personally think she would be best as the front-woman of a band that was a bit more alternative.

What I find interesting about this final two is that we have one finalist who is very good at doing one thing, going up against another finalist who is a bit less consistent, but can tackle almost anything that's on the charts these days.

Edited by viajero
(edited)

At the same time, I can see why Jena might at times be compared to those three, plus Katy Perry, Regina Spektor and Lady Gaga.  She has shown an ability to handle an impressive range of genres, which of course makes it difficult to figure out exactly what kind of artist she'd be once she makes it out into the real world. 

This is one development I dislike the most over the course of the show. I still remember when contestants were forced to prove their ability to sing a diversity of styles and genres (and not in the way they do these days, where they completely alter the song to become the genre they prefer--although I do enjoy those performances sometimes, too). With the show basically giving the contestants a free-for-all every week to sing the same song repeatedly for weeks on end, it's now become a "bad" thing for a contestant to sing multiple genres--an idea even the judges project now, which I find ridiculous. (Not that I'm saying Jena has shown the same kind of diversity of some of Idol's early winners, but hopefully you get my point.)

Edited by TheGreenKnight

BogoGog24, we will never agree on whether Jena is current or not. Besides, it's not up to us on a message board; it's up to the record company, management, and the general music public. If they want to hear Miss Lousy Low Register, Screaming Meamie end note, Mumble Mouth, then who am I to judge. Apparently, TPTB are going all out to make Jena into the new Demi Lovato (God forbid), but there's already someone out there making hit records and that's Ariana Grande. Can Jena outsell her? I'm not a fan of AG either, but c'est la vie. Also, Hayley Williams is still the lead singer of Paramore and not a solo artist yet. Does Jena want to front a band? It's just sad that the current music scene is dependent on the lack of singers with actual talent. Also, I'm still bitter over last season and TPTB's treatment of Candice, who I will admit is not current. The fact they all pulling out the stops to make Jena a star at the expense of Candice who was overshadowed by the Battle of the Divas last season is criminal. Plus, Jena just bugs. I don't know if it's her, her stage mom, the tushie kissing from Queen Big Tushie herself or what?

So, BogoGog24, the ball is back in your court. 

Didn't you just say a few posts back "She may be current, but she's not original"? You concur that she is current, just not original. And as I said before, originality has nothing to do with being current. Out of the Top 10 this year, the most prime examples of who could be a current artist would be Jena, Alex, Sam, Dexter, and Majesty because all the music they do- indie, EDM, bro country, etc.- is what's popular right now. On the other end of the spectrum you have contestants like Caleb and Malaya who have done lots of old school, throwback material and would not be considered current. Whether Jena is original or not is subjective, but there's no denying she is a current artist. Whether she chooses to be an EDM artist, as her single indicates, or follow in Haley Williams' footsteps and form an alternative rock band (she fronted one back home), she would be considered current either way since both genres are very popular at the present moment.

It's really dumb that Interscope basically abandoned Candice, but I could see why- her style of music is not that popular on the mainstream chart. She mainly charted on R&B and Urban. It's not that uncommon, unfortunately, for record companies to abandon their artists and not support them properly. They only have so much money and resources to go around, so they're going to use it on the artists who can reap the most benefit and help put that money back in their pockets. While many people don't expect Jena to sell very well or that we'll ever hear from her after the show, I disagree, simply because I think they will push her like they did with Phillip and her type of music appeals to a more mainstream pop audience than Candice's music does. Candice (or maybe it was Interscope) also made the big mistake of delaying her album until the following year after her win, and by then, the new season was already under way and no one cared about her music anymore.

Apparently Caleb's song was once pitched to Kelly Clarkson but I guess there was a lyric in it about a mustache so it would have had to be re-written. The runner up from South African Idol recorded it in 2012. https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality-rocks/caleb-johnson-s--as-long-as-you-love-me--originally-meant-for-kelly-clarkson-235043649.html

Didn't you just say a few posts back "She may be current, but she's not original"? You concur that she is current, just not original. And as I said before, originality has nothing to do with being current. Out of the Top 10 this year, the most prime examples of who could be a current artist would be Jena, Alex, Sam, Dexter, and Majesty because all the music they do- indie, EDM, bro country, etc.- is what's popular right now. On the other end of the spectrum you have contestants like Caleb and Malaya who have done lots of old school, throwback material and would not be considered current. Whether Jena is original or not is subjective, but there's no denying she is a current artist. Whether she chooses to be an EDM artist, as her single indicates, or follow in Haley Williams' footsteps and form an alternative rock band (she fronted one back home), she would be considered current either way since both genres are very popular at the present moment.

Candice (or maybe it was Interscope) also made the big mistake of delaying her album until the following year after her win, and by then, the new season was already under way and no one cared about her music anymore.

Again, I have my opinion regarding the "originality" of Jena. You are a fan of hers and if I want to hear her type of music, I'll listen to those who are already on the market unfortunately. Mazel tov, Jena if you win! I still don't see her as a major star. If she has any success, it won't be on a Kelly Clarkson level, it'll be more on a female Kris Allen level. She'll have one hit record, but nothing else. I still say she should be a lead singer in a band like her idol, Hayley Williams. As for Malaya being "old fashioned," I don't see her being successful in music. If she can find the right medication, I see her more as an actress than a singer. Caleb needs to front a band, period!

By the way, Candice had nothing to do with the delaying of her album. It was all Interscope. If you think about it, Jimmy Iovine was desperately pushing Amber over Candice last year because she had the potential to be a "current" artist (not a power belter, has a tinny Rihannaesque vocal). Sadly, this is the problem with today's music, and for corporations who own these record companies, it's all about money. 

Maybe it's cyclical. I for one, am hoping for a return of people who could actually SING return to the pop charts without the use of gimmicks, guest star rappers, and auto tune. I guess I'll be all alone, right, BogoGog24?

• Love 1

Again, I have my opinion regarding the "originality" of Jena. You are a fan of hers and if I want to hear her type of music, I'll listen to those who are already on the market unfortunately. Mazel tov, Jena if you win! I still don't see her as a major star. If she has any success, it won't be on a Kelly Clarkson level, it'll be more on a female Kris Allen level. She'll have one hit record, but nothing else. I still say she should be a lead singer in a band like her idol, Hayley Williams. As for Malaya being "old fashioned," I don't see her being successful in music. If she can find the right medication, I see her more as an actress than a singer. Caleb needs to front a band, period!

By the way, Candice had nothing to do with the delaying of her album. It was all Interscope. If you think about it, Jimmy Iovine was desperately pushing Amber over Candice last year because she had the potential to be a "current" artist (not a power belter, has a tinny Rihannaesque vocal). Sadly, this is the problem with today's music, and for corporations who own these record companies, it's all about money. 

Maybe it's cyclical. I for one, am hoping for a return of people who could actually SING return to the pop charts without the use of gimmicks, guest star rappers, and auto tune. I guess I'll be all alone, right, BogoGog24?

You just completely disregarded everything I said and acted like I said something totally different- once again, I am NOT a Jena fan, I am actually a Caleb fan. I have liked some of Jena's performances but not enough to consider myself a "fan." I just see more potential in her than apparently others on this forum do and have no deep-set hatred of her or anything. I see her potential as an artist and being successful in today's market, that's all. The whole point of this conversation was talking about whether she is current or not, we're not discussing originality, which you keep for some reason going back to even though it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. How can you say she'll only have 1 hit record and nothing else? We haven't seen her do anything yet! Maybe she could surprise people. It just depends whether or not she gets good material and if the label pushes her enough. You can't make an assumption like it's a fact when she hasn't even won yet or gotten a record deal yet. I don't see her having massive success either but that's just because most people, especially Idol winners, in today's market, don't have that much success anymore. You can't really say "Oh she will only have 1 hit and then nothing else" when it's not some proven fact. 

According to Candice, it was her decision to delay her album because she wanted to make sure it was "just right." That could have just been a cover-up for Interscope but according to her, it was her decision to delay the album. 

I'm probably not going to bother responding to anything else you say since clearly you disregard everything I say and act like I've said something totally different and just keep making the same points over and over again.

(edited)

I'm probably not going to bother responding to anything else you say since clearly you disregard everything I say and act like I've said something totally different and just keep making the same points over and over again.

I disregarded everything you said because you never mentioned that you are a fan of Caleb. I did not read your previous posts. This is what happens when one assumes. My apologies.

I'm not a fan of either as solo artists. Don't bother answering me. I'm sure you think of me as some stupid, self-absorbed harpy. Good night.

Edited by Nedsdag

Hey y'all (no, I'm not Southern, but I figured I'd try it out for size):

I appreciate the passion shown for the last two standing, but some tones of the posts are starting to approach our good ol' motto of DBAD.

I'll be crying softly in the corner over my New England boy Alex going home if you need me.

• Love 2