Type keyword(s) to search

Julie Montagu: LuAnn Isn't the Only (Vis)Countess on Bravo

Has she been on the show? I don't remember.

Yes, she has been on the show, but only as a "friend of...." capacity.... Remember that episode where they were went to some big manor in the country? That belong to Julie's husband's family.... In the second season coming up, I believe she will be a full-time cast member.... 

Regarding all the talk of financial need in the Montagu household I just found this article about Luke Montagu (Julie's husband). He won a lawsuit for 1.35 million pounds (over 2 million USD).  http://cepuk.org/2015/07/18/rapid-withdrawal-misprescribing-benzodiazepine-leads-1-35m-settlement-luke-montagu-cep-co-founder/   It looks like it was published around July of this year.   Of course, no amount of money can make up for a person's health and this probably won't be a dent in their debt, but at least he won.  I am going to reconsider my own usage of Klonopin. I take it in a small dosage for GAD (Anxiety).

• Love 2

Regarding all the talk of financial need in the Montagu household I just found this article about Luke Montagu (Julie's husband). He won a lawsuit for 1.35 million pounds (over 2 million USD).  http://cepuk.org/2015/07/18/rapid-withdrawal-misprescribing-benzodiazepine-leads-1-35m-settlement-luke-montagu-cep-co-founder/   It looks like it was published around July of this year.   Of course, no amount of money can make up for a person's health and this probably won't be a dent in their debt, but at least he won.  I am going to reconsider my own usage of Klonopin. I take it in a small dosage for GAD (Anxiety).

Thank you for posting this.  I read the article, and it sheds new light on Julie's behavior and outbursts on the show.  She must be under enormous pressure to keep everything together and trying to help her husband through his medical difficulties. 

• Love 4

In the episode with the clips of the different families celebrating Christmas, they showed a blonde-haired boy opening a gift and announcing, "More socks." Was that one of Julie's sons? Also, I couldn't tell; was he genuinely happy about the socks or being facetious?

On the episode with the clips of the different families celebrating Christmas, they showed a blonde-haired boy opening a gift and announcing, "More socks." Was that one of Julie's sons? Also, I couldn't tell; was he genuinely happy about the socks or being facetious?

I took that to be a vignette from "Christmas at Mapperton" too. Maybe Grandma Sandwich only gives socks?

My sister lives out in Geneva, IL, which is a stone's throw from Sugar Grove. I've a hankering to do a field trip to see the Lady Montague's roots! And speaking of roots, geez, that hair color. She'll fix it for next season, I'm sure.

I am convinced that her color is being done by her - at home - out of a Clairol box. And she is also overdoing it , perhaps in anticipation of the show filming. Thus it is so limp and lifeless. The chemicals/bleach are so harsh on already fine hair.

Honey, you need some low lites put in every couple of months, and a good colorist to do hi lights with out bleach. No more single process for you.

As for the green color that we are seeing in her talking heads....I wonder if she went swimming in a recently chemically treated pool. That can turn blonde hair green, plus damage the shit out of it. Maybe in addition to her yoga workouts, she swims after.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

In the episode with the clips of the different families celebrating Christmas, they showed a blonde-haired boy opening a gift and announcing, "More socks." Was that one of Julie's sons? Also, I couldn't tell; was he genuinely happy about the socks or being facetious?

I caught that.

I assumed he was her son and I actually grinned at his happiness at, More socks!

It seemed spontaneous and genuine to me. It's making me smile right now.

• Love 2

I caught that.

I assumed he was her son and I actually grinned at his happiness at, More socks!

Credit where its due.  If you've raised a child in this day and age that is genuinely happy and thankful for socks you've raised a good kid.

• Love 9

Absolutely!

Compare that to the excesses the Giudice kids expected. And got!

I'm going to have to rewatch the Season 1 Mapperton episode. I remember a variety of adult relations but not the kids.

And of course I remember some boorish LoL behaviors. As usual.

• Love 2

I caught that.

I'm so glad that you think so, too. I replayed it and replayed it. It seemed sweet and genuine. I guess Seinfeld's "Tube socks" made me wonder.
  • Love 2

Forgive me if this has been mentioned but is this Julie's husband uncle http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2732703/My-father-Earl-raped-boy-In-harrowing-interview-writer-reveals-hes-risked-wrath-aristocratic-brother-sisters-exposing-him.html or put more simply is the molestor Luke's grandfather?

Oh my god, that is so awful. I also really hope he's able to heal from it. Luke's father is the 11th Earl of Sandwich, so that must be Luke's uncle, yes. And the 10th Earl is his grandfather.

Edited by wovenloaf

So the article about Luke and his struggle with his medication -- it seems to indicate that the two older children are Julie's but not his.  They only have two children together, William and Nestor.

vt4EbMF.png

"Her children"... so was she married before?  Did Luke adopt the two older kids?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thanks so much! I wondered why only two children were mentioned by name on the 11th Earls wiki (yes, I know not to be relied on but for random aristocracy they tend be surprisingly correct), I thought I might have just confused which of the boys was the oldest and their ages.

Makes me more interested in Julie's backstory. I can't imagine a single mother of two small children moves to London as a yoga instructor, so she most likely had a previous English partner.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

So the article about Luke and his struggle with his medication -- it seems to indicate that the two older children are Julie's but not his.  They only have two children together, William and Nestor.

vt4EbMF.png

"Her children"... so was she married before?  Did Luke adopt the two older kids?

did he lose all his businesses?

• Love 1

did he lose all his businesses?

It seems like he quit them entirely, at least his involvement with them... according to the article about his withdrawal from psychiatric meds. (http://cepuk.org/2015/07/18/rapid-withdrawal-misprescribing-benzodiazepine-leads-1-35m-settlement-luke-montagu-cep-co-founder/ - posted by PickleDeeDee above.) Excerpt from that article:

[His business] needed him, but he couldn’t function. “I’ve always been very good at getting things done and knowing what to say, but now I’d sit in a meeting without knowing what to do next.” At a board meeting he burst into tears in front of his fellow directors. “I had to say, ‘I just can’t do this. I’m really not well.’”

He realised he could no longer work. For the next three years, Montagu was stuck at home in agonising physical and mental pain.

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 1

vt4EbMF.png

Interesting. Thanks for posting this! I'm even more curious about her background.

I'm surprised that they didn't talk about Luke's issues in conjunction with the "Save Mapperton" storyline. I think it would have been interesting to see and would have added a layer of understanding to Julie's situation. It's not like they're shy about sharing his story.

• Love 3

I'm surprised that they didn't talk about Luke's issues in conjunction with the "Save Mapperton" storyline. I think it would have been interesting to see and would have added a layer of understanding to Julie's situation. It's not like they're shy about sharing his story.

I'm wondering if everything is ok between Julie and Luke.  It seems like her relationship with her in-laws is good, but that it might not be ok with Luke given his problems.  And that could be a reason why he's not around and why Julie is so frazzled.

• Love 1

I would guess given his issues being around cameras and bright lights, even the bustling of London could adversely affect him. Perhaps that why he was at Mapperton while Julie filmed in London

I feel like old school british society would balk at the idea of a reality show.  I think this is maybe why they are okay with brief appearances (for mapperton and all).  I theorized that this is why they only let Julie be a "friend of" first season.  She came off so well in the first season they may have figured it would be okay for her to be full time in the second season.  But I think Julie came off much, much, much better in small doses and I'd be interested to know how her in-laws feel about a potential third season.

• Love 1

They licensed their title for the earl of sandwich chain. They're def not the old school type. Or maybe they really needed the money.

A license might be a little different since it wouldn't require them to show up and be filmed (I dont think).

I feel like they must have really needed the money/publicity.  The in-laws were on camera once last year and Luke has been filmed in 30 second increments twice this season I believe.  But than again, maybe its not the publicity, because I don't think they have had a Mapperton event this year.  They went shooting on someone else's property and they visited other homes, but they haven't done much of anything on Mapperton, except talk about how much it needs an infusion of capital.

Licensing one's title to a sandwich chain seems kind of tacky but I'm far removed from royalty so what do I know, lol.

I agree with you there.  I feel like its one step up from trying to sell off the family jewels when someone got in a gambling debt.....but it still may be seen....by them....as somewhat less ostentatious than being on a reality show.  

What I find amusing is that the name is licensed, but Julie was talking about having a sandwich shop at Mapperton, and I'm not sure if that would interfere with the licensing rights that they have already sold.  I know if I paid for the "Earl of Sandwich" name, and the actual Earl of Sandwich was trying to make money selling sandwiches as part of some schtick...I would not be pleased.

There's an Earl of Sandwich shop in one of the service plazas along the Florida Turnpike and the one and only time I ate there the sandwich was actually very good.

And the majority of their stores are in fairly upscale locations.

And it appears they did not relinquish the use of the Earl of Sandwich moniker but instead operate as the company's franchiser while also operating company stores. Wiki

Bon Appetit weighs in.

I'd definitely try one of their sandwiches. They look to be quite a few rungs up from Subway.

Maybe they should open one at Mapperton.

• Love 1

And the majority of their stores are in fairly upscale locations.

And it appears they did not relinquish the use of the Earl of Sandwich moniker but instead operate as the company's franchiser while also operating company stores. Wiki

Bon Appetit weighs in.

I'd definitely try one of their sandwiches. They look to be quite a few rungs up from Subway.

Maybe they should open one at Mapperton.

wait, so they are franchisors?  And they have their own Earl of Sandwich shops?  Shouldn't this be the money that is saving Mapperton?  

I'm so confused, if this is the case, the family seems to have enough business acumen to save mapperton themselves.  Why do Julie and her balls need to save the day?

• Love 2

wait, so they are franchisors?  And they have their own Earl of Sandwich shops?  Shouldn't this be the money that is saving Mapperton?  

I'm so confused, if this is the case, the family seems to have enough business acumen to save mapperton themselves.  Why do Julie and her balls need to save the day?

What I don't get is that if they have someone to professionally design the Earl of Sandwich logo, why do Julie's JUBs look like such utter crap?  They obviously know where to look for a professionally designed logo and don't have to accept the crap that Julie is using.

Edited by Eater of Worlds
  • Love 2

What I don't get is that if they have someone to professionally design the Earl of Sandwich logo, why do Julie's JUBs look like such utter crap?  They obviously know where to look for a professionally designed logo and don't have to accept the crap that Julie is using.

If they are savvy enough to be frachisors, why does she not have access to anyone connected to their business?  She was asking Caroline S. for business tips like she was some fresh and green entrepreneur who was starting her business with not help.  Why not get people who helped her family develop the Earl of Sandwich business?  They must have some connections in the business world.  And if they are franchising the Earl of Sandwich name, and making franchise fees off of it -- why is Mapperton in such dire straits?  And if a chain of restaurants can't save Mapperton, why is Julie under the impression that JUB, an admittedly specialty item, will save Mapperton?

• Love 1

If they are savvy enough to be frachisors, why does she not have access to anyone connected to their business?  She was asking Caroline S. for business tips like she was some fresh and green entrepreneur who was starting her business with not help.  Why not get people who helped her family develop the Earl of Sandwich business?  They must have some connections in the business world.  And if they are franchising the Earl of Sandwich name, and making franchise fees off of it -- why is Mapperton in such dire straits?  And if a chain of restaurants can't save Mapperton, why is Julie under the impression that JUB, an admittedly specialty item, will save Mapperton?

She needed to create a storyline for the show and that's the best she could do?

All I got.

• Love 1

Saw the cover for her upcoming book at Netgalley.  Wearing a shirt that says Kale and its a healthy lifestyle book.  No surprise.  But isn't kale so old news in that regard.  Not that people are still on the kale bandwagon as it being the healthiest food and all but as something to put on the cover seems a bit dated.  Maybe it is meant to be tongue in cheek a bit.  She doesn't look bad in the photo though.  Still not a fan of the color of her hair.  I think she should go with a deeper amber that removes all hints of looking like yellow snow in the yard of a house full dogs.

• Love 1

Saw the cover for her upcoming book at Netgalley.  Wearing a shirt that says Kale and its a healthy lifestyle book.  No surprise.  But isn't kale so old news in that regard.  Not that people are still on the kale bandwagon as it being the healthiest food and all but as something to put on the cover seems a bit dated.  Maybe it is meant to be tongue in cheek a bit.  She doesn't look bad in the photo though.  Still not a fan of the color of her hair.  I think she should go with a deeper amber that removes all hints of looking like yellow snow in the yard of a house full dogs.

As usual Julie is kind of late on trends. You're right that kale is old news. I can find a half a dozen kale bagged salads at Walmart. If Walmart is doing it, you've arrived at a trend waaaaaay late. I'm not even going to get into her hair color.

• Love 5