Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Middlemom said:

Does anyone remember the most girls cut in one night of training camp? I seem to remember there were 4 cut one year on the same night. 

I remember 4 as well.... The one I'm remembering was the last cut night before announcing the squad I believe? I don't remember the season, but Courtney was one of them I believe? I don't remember more than that offhand...

2 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

I recently read a few accounts from former Carnival Cruiseline workers but I know zip about the others. Or specifics on dancers/musicians, who may be handled differently. However, it was very eye-opening. 

The cruise workers are expected to work 80-hour plus weeks. It is constant. They don’t get to go into the port stops like the tourists. Hard drinking is the norm during the few off hours they get off to blow off steam. Lots of people quit before their contracts are up because they can’t take it for long. 

All this to say that it ain’t the Love Boat by any means on some cruise lines. 

A friend of mine that I knew in high school and a talented singer/dancer worked on a cruise ship for two years. Overall, she enjoyed the experience, but did say that the room she had (shared) was the size of a closet and not in the nice part of the ship. There was a LOT of drinking and hook ups. That being said, a person can choose to avoid many of those situations. After leaving the cruise ship, she went on to be a cheerleader with Tampa Bay.

• Love 4
On 7/19/2018 at 7:29 PM, GBPackersfan said:

Can someone explain to me all the Brennan love? I'm just not seeing it. She doesn't have much personality, she isn't fun to watch dance, and so what if it's her THIRD time trying out? That's HER decision. I always think her face looks like she is smelling a fart. She is one I absolutely cannot root for. I did root hard for Megan Flaherty (RIP) but I still laugh at her final time in the office. That was beautiful, 

I’m not a fan either - at all.  Her dancing is timid, her look is timid, her voice is too quite and meek, her figure is too frail - nothing about her says DCC except for her hair color.  I don’t want to watch her at all this season - all the crying and whining and “its my third time in training camp, I want this so much, I’ve worked so hard...” blah, blah, blah - spare us!   Please CMT if you see this, edit her out of the show as much as possible and make sure they doesn’t make the squad!  Thanks. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I don't think concern for safety is a laughing matter. 

Dayton and her mother. They. After she was cut, Dayton went to auditions for RCCL and her mother went too. Shelly said so. I assumed it was a decision they made together. 6-12 months is a long time for anyone to be completely away from home. I am surprised that is the path they pursued considering how close they are. 

Unfortunately crime does occur on cruise ships. Unfortunately those crimes are very difficult to prosecute. This is not new information. Moreover crimes against crew members are often unreported by the industry. I'm surprised that concern for safety was met with the responses above. 

At the end of the day, there is a considerable difference between being a cruise ship passenger and a cruise ship employee, the biggest one being you don't get off the boat at the end of the week and go home. You're part of the ship 24/7/365 and you aren't 100% protected by the laws of the United States. So yes, I am surprised that is the path they pursued when DCC didn't work out. For an entire year you don't get to go home on the weekend or home for dinner. And you're in a place where if something bad happens to you, you're not entirely protected. I don't think what I said was wrong. You guys just turned it into a joke.

FWIW, you can substitute “study abroad” for cruise ship and have the exact same scenario.  No one would be pearl clutching if Dayton was taking a year to study abroad.

7 hours ago, Agent Gully said:

A friend of mine that I knew in high school and a talented singer/dancer worked on a cruise ship for two years. Overall, she enjoyed the experience, but did say that the room she had (shared) was the size of a closet and not in the nice part of the ship. There was a LOT of drinking and hook ups. That being said, a person can choose to avoid many of those situations. After leaving the cruise ship, she went on to be a cheerleader with Tampa Bay.

So it was basically college? 

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Tootie said:

Going back to 2013, here are some DCC's that tried out multiple times and made it to finals.  There are many, many girls in that time frame that made it to finals several times but never made it into TC. 

DCC 1.png

DCC 2.png

I always thought it was kind of odd that Kelli wore the same outfit two years in a row. I noticed that when I watched the episodes.

It's not the same. The primary difference being international maritime law vs. the state law of any exchange program country. That is why crimes at sea are so hard to prosecute.  Huge difference in protection, reporting, legal recourse and advocates.  Stopping here.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Stagecoach said:

I always thought it was kind of odd that Kelli wore the same outfit two years in a row. I noticed that when I watched the episodes.

Those outfits are expensive..... maybe that’s why?

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Middlemom said:

Can't believe Robin and Khalyn got overlooked their first years. They both are/were fantastic DCC's.   Breelan looked better her first year IMO. I thought Kelli Q tried out more than three times before makkng it. Still feel badly about Ashley Pro. I think she got a bad edit during her last tryout. She was not the strongest dancer, but she was super sweet. They have kept lots of dancers who were way worse. 

Kelli Q said during the season she made the squad that that was her 4th time trying out. Kelsey also tried out 4 times I believe, I just do not think she was featured the one year. But for some reason I am remembering her saying that she tried out 4 times. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, CheerGoddess said:

Kelli Q said during the season she made the squad that that was her 4th time trying out. Kelsey also tried out 4 times I believe, I just do not think she was featured the one year. But for some reason I am remembering her saying that she tried out 4 times. 

She said that in response to Kelli asking her during practice how many times she had tried out. When Kelli Q responded that it was 4 times, Kelli asked, “and I’m just noticing you now?!” It was almost an apology to her. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I cannot believe they took girls like Breelan, Ashley Pro, Morgan and Kaitlin LaRue, but they did not take Robin, Khalyn, and Kelli Q when they first tried out. What did Breelan and Ashley have that Robin, Kelli and Khalyn did not have. I think CMT wanted certain girls on the squad for the drama and possible cuts when they tried out at finals next year. Drama, ratings, storyline, vets cuts, and money talk. I do not think Breelan, Ashley, Morgan or Kaitlin would have made it to TC or on the squad without CMT and the show.

Edited by bigskygirl
10 hours ago, GeorgieNY said:

It’s  not the same for the entertainment staff. They don’t live in crew quarters, they live in staff quarters which are in a different area, and don’t have the grueling schedules that the crew does. Dancers usually have some cruise staff duties (embark/debark, library, games etc) and rehearsals usually late at night when the theatre is free, but most entertainment staff is free to sightsee during the day and has time off to do as they please. 

I said in my comment that I didn’t know what it was like specifically for the dancers/performers. I’m glad to hear it is different because the crew life sounded pretty grim in some lines.

Thank you for sharing that info. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, CheerGoddess said:

I'm sure you're probably right.  Those pictures are the ones released by the DCC when they went to Finals--I've saved all of them on spreadsheets since 2013.  Either it was before then, or they didn't make it to finals one year...

19 hours ago, Taralightner said:

I often wonder about this a lot- there have been a good number of girls that are good friends with current DCC. I wonder why they don’t know at least the signature dance before camp. Also, they teach the entrance way late in camp. What would prevent a vet from teaching a TCC the entrance to give her a better chance? @ShellyB- is there a rule against this? Can a vet give a TCC a “leg up” by helping them with choreo before it’s taught in the studio? And, other than blocking issues, why is the field entrance taught so late in camp? Thanks in advance. 

I suppose they could. In the big picture of things, I think it’s just not kosher to give a “leg up”. But, there are videos all over the internet that candidates could learn from as well.

• Love 14
14 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I don't think concern for safety is a laughing matter. 

Dayton and her mother. They. After she was cut, Dayton went to auditions for RCCL and her mother went too. Shelly said so. I assumed it was a decision they made together. 6-12 months is a long time for anyone to be completely away from home. I am surprised that is the path they pursued considering how close they are. 

Unfortunately crime does occur on cruise ships. Unfortunately those crimes are very difficult to prosecute. This is not new information. Moreover crimes against crew members are often unreported by the industry. I'm surprised that concern for safety was met with the responses above. 

At the end of the day, there is a considerable difference between being a cruise ship passenger and a cruise ship employee, the biggest one being you don't get off the boat at the end of the week and go home. You're part of the ship 24/7/365 and you aren't 100% protected by the laws of the United States. So yes, I am surprised that is the path they pursued when DCC didn't work out. For an entire year you don't get to go home on the weekend or home for dinner. And you're in a place where if something bad happens to you, you're not entirely protected. I don't think what I said was wrong. You guys just turned it into a joke.

Unfortunately crime does occur on college campuses. Unfortunately those crimes are very difficult to prosecute. This is not new information. Moreover crimes against female college students by frat boys and student athletes are often unreported by the administration. I'm surprised that concern for safety was met with the responses above. 

At the end of the day, there is a considerable difference between being a female college student and a kid who stays home, the biggest one being you don't leave campus at the end of the week and fly home. You're on campus for nine months except for Christmas break and you aren't 100% protected by the laws of the United States. So yes, I am surprised that is the path they pursued when DCC didn't work out. For an entire school year you don't get to go home on the weekend or home for dinner. And you're in a place where if something bad happens to you, you're not entirely protected.

• Love 7
Just now, Law Mom said:

Unfortunately crime does occur on college campuses. Unfortunately those crimes are very difficult to prosecute. This is not new information. Moreover crimes against female college students by frat boys and student athletes are often unreported by the administration. I'm surprised that concern for safety was met with the responses above. 

At the end of the day, there is a considerable difference between being a female college student and a kid who stays home, the biggest one being you don't leave campus at the end of the week and fly home. You're on campus for nine months except for Christmas break and you aren't 100% protected by the laws of the United States. So yes, I am surprised that is the path they pursued when DCC didn't work out. For an entire school year you don't get to go home on the weekend or home for dinner. And you're in a place where if something bad happens to you, you're not entirely protected.

Thank you LawMom! That is exactly what I was thinking. It's no different on a cruise ship than it is on campus. And why not explore the world when you are young and unencumbered by responsibilities? Go Dayton, and enjoy it! 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Stagecoach said:

Gosh - Kelly looks like she aged 5 years between each of the those photos.  I still think she looks like she’s in her 40’s now, but she did actually look really young in that first photo. 

I thought Christina came back at least a couple more times before finally making it to training camp again.   Like at least once more w/ the brown hair, maybe another year w/ the blonde?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Gosh - Kelly looks like she aged 5 years between each of the those photos.  I still think she looks like she’s in her 40’s now, but she did actually look really young in that first photo. 

I thought Christina came back at least a couple more times before finally making it to training camp again.   Like at least once more w/ the brown hair, maybe another year w/ the blonde?

She may have; these are the photos from Finals.  

• Love 1

Christina looks like four different people in those photos. Kelli's hair looks so much healthier now. Khalyn's hair seems over processed; it looks better in the older picture. Mads, well that goes without saying!

(edited)
42 minutes ago, ATLGirl said:

I said in my comment that I didn’t know what it was like specifically for the dancers/performers. I’m glad to hear it is different because the crew life sounded pretty grim in some lines.

Thank you for sharing that info. 

I’ve too have heard horror stories about how the crews on cruise ships are treated.   Lots of stuff that I can’t imagine would be legal for a US-based employer (think all cruise ships are registered in foreign countries to get around the stricter US laws/regulations, etc.) - like horribly long hours w/ no rest, poor living conditions, mistreatment when sick, etc.   I’ve been on several cruises in the past, but now the guilt of this stuff has made me shy away from them.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Not that it needs explaining or defending....I have 5 former students that danced with RCCL for multiple contracts. It is the premiere cruise line for entertainers, as many of them crossover to Broadway, Vegas, West End or LA. She actually wanted to do it right out of high school and we told her “no, start college first and get some life underneath your feet”. We wouldn’t support it if we weren’t comfortable with the lifestyle and didn’t have close, personal connections. The performances are as close as you can get to being in a show on Broadway. The travel, people you meet and the connections made are all experiences that cannot compare much else and are lifelong. Everyone I know has had or is still having stellar experiences with RCCL. I suppose there are dangers in ANY career, city, venue, etc. But I would also assume that those are the rarities and not the norm. 

RCCL strives to be the very best in entertainment, and it is.  Their broadway shows cannot be compared to any other line.  The entertainers live completely different lives on a cruise ship than the stewards and wait staff.    Dayton did really good!

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Not that it needs explaining or defending....I have 5 former students that danced with RCCL for multiple contracts. It is the premiere cruise line for entertainers, as many of them crossover to Broadway, Vegas, West End or LA. She actually wanted to do it right out of high school and we told her “no, start college first and get some life underneath your feet”. We wouldn’t support it if we weren’t comfortable with the lifestyle and didn’t have close, personal connections. The performances are as close as you can get to being in a show on Broadway. The travel, people you meet and the connections made are all experiences that cannot compare much else and are lifelong. Everyone I know has had or is still having stellar experiences with RCCL. I suppose there are dangers in ANY career, city, venue, etc. But I would also assume that those are the rarities and not the norm. 

It looks like Dayton has both feet on the ground. Like you said, if you and your husband did not feel comfortable about her performing on the cruise ship, you would have suggested other career and dance performing ideas for her. And way to go with college first and get some life experiences before going out in the world.

1 hour ago, MyFavShows said:

The funny thing to me is, I was just thinking Kelli looks younger in the 2016 pic than 2013

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ShellyB said:

I suppose they could. In the big picture of things, I think it’s just not kosher to give a “leg up”. But, there are videos all over the internet that candidates could learn from as well.

I'm trying to think of how to phrase this, but I don't think I would appreciate the routines being taught to friends/family.  Not that it's a matter of national security and you can find it on the internet, but it's part of being DCC.  If you get into training camp, then you start to learn the inside stuff, as much as they show you.  When you actually make the squad, then you get filled in on more.  Not only that, but if you can't come in and learn the routine on your own, and friends have to show you ahead of time, then it really isn't helping you in the long run.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

It looks like Dayton has both feet on the ground. Like you said, if you and your husband did not feel comfortable about her performing on the cruise ship, you would have suggested other career and dance performing ideas for her. And way to go with college first and get some life experiences before going out in the world.

Exactly - she didn't want to stay in Dallas and mope around after being cut.  She just said, ok Plan B which is to be respected.  Her choice, her life and we should all just wish her well and wait to see if she shares her stories.  I mean, how many girls get cut and don't have a plan B cause DCC was all they planned on.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

I thought I heard Christina say it was her 5th try. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Taralightner said:

I thought I heard Christina say it was her 5th try. 

Christina is still one of my least favorites.  I don’t know why but she rubs me the wrong way.

Does anyone think they will change the ‘signature’ routine any time soon? I like it and all but I wonder how long they’ve been doing it and when the last time it was changed. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, MssdDrms said:

Christina is still one of my least favorites.  I don’t know why but she rubs me the wrong way.

Does anyone think they will change the ‘signature’ routine any time soon? I like it and all but I wonder how long they’ve been doing it and when the last time it was changed. 

It was different when Nicole Hamilton was point, but I don’t know the year of the change. I HATED the music for the old pregame signature.  Thunderstruck is getting old,  but it fits well as an arena anthem with Cowboys video playing as the girls dance.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I cannot believe they took girls like Breelan, Ashley Pro, Morgan and Kaitlin LaRue, but they did not take Robin, Khalyn, and Kelli Q when they first tried out. What did Breelan and Ashley have that Robin, Kelli and Khalyn did not have. I think CMT wanted certain girls on the squad for the drama and possible cuts when they tried out at finals next year. Drama, ratings, storyline, vets cuts, and money talk. I do not think Breelan, Ashley, Morgan or Kaitlin would have made it to TC or on the squad without CMT and the show.

Is there a reason you call her LaRue instead of LaRae? Not being snippy, just curious.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, English Teacher said:

It was different when Nicole Hamilton was point, but I don’t know the year of the change. I HATED the music for the old pregame signature.  Thunderstruck is getting old,  but it fits well as an arena anthem with Cowboys video playing as the girls dance.  

If I remember right, it was changed in 2010.  What was the music for the old pregame signature?  I thought they used different songs, but I do remember seeing a routine with Jump.

• Love 3

Oh, WOW, "Jump" is *irritating*!!! Yikes!!

As for the announcer blathering on about how amazing the DCC are, the dance routines on the field don't showcase their technical ability. The turf limits what they can do. Roll out a mat for these girls to perform on and let's show 'em what they can do. Come on, Jerra. Open up that pocketbook. We're waiting....

(edited)
1 hour ago, DanceChick said:

Is there a reason you call her LaRue instead of LaRae? Not being snippy, just curious.

It is probably LaRae, but I am too lazy to look her name up. I keep getting her and Kaitlin LeGrand and another Kaitlin or Kaitlyn who was on the squad for four years Seasons 3 to Season 6 mess up.

Edited by bigskygirl
2 minutes ago, Donna S said:

I love her scenes! I hope we have more this year! She is so etiquette-y (I make up words, but it fits) yet funny and down to earth! "Try the oysters! OK now that you are done, I'll tell you I don't like them or eat them!" 

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, Donna S said:

Ok. At least Malena is still there.

Who got cut? Or at least let's make a list of who it's not. I'm too lazy to do any sleuthing, so Malena will have to be my contribution.

Y'all, get to work.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, hypeman said:

Who got cut? Or at least let's make a list of who it's not. I'm too lazy to do any sleuthing, so Malena will have to be my contribution.

Y'all, get to work.

Only ones we know that were cut was Lindsey 

jasmine and Dayton 

(edited)

Almost all of the girls in the pics look to be vets, so it’s hard to tell who’s been cut from these pics, I think. 

I spent the early years watching the show without inside information, but now that all the info has dried up this year (we only seem to have one real source on the cuts) I’m struggling to retain interest. I didn’t think that would be the case. 

ETA: My contribution - Madeline and Erin are still in, per Savannah’s IG story  

Edited by cgloss
Info
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

If I remember right, it was changed in 2010.  What was the music for the old pregame signature?  I thought they used different songs, but I do remember seeing a routine with Jump.

This will always be my favorite, both routine and music.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, hypeman said:

Y'all, get to work.

I see Brennan! 

• Love 2