Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wasn't Luke looking into something to do with the Merriwicks but now he's off to college and no mention on that strange phone call a few episodes ago?

I caught a few of the Good Witch movies and agree with posters that they have really watered down both Cassie's and Abigail's powers and the Bell, Book, Candle was a much more interesting store instead of what it is now.  They need to move it back to that and add guests with problems of the week. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Wasn't Luke looking into something to do with the Merriwicks but now he's off to college and no mention on that strange phone call a few episodes ago?

I caught a few of the Good Witch movies and agree with posters that they have really watered down both Cassie's and Abigail's powers and the Bell, Book, Candle was a much more interesting store instead of what it is now.  They need to move it back to that and add guests with problems of the week. 

The phone call was from Luke's aunt who is the mother of Abigail's mayor boyfriend. The mother wanted dirt on Abigail, so she could break up Abigail and her son--she was afraid of some kind of curse associated with the Merriwicks. Anyway, Luke refused to do this, because he likes Grace. The aunt then cut off his payments to his private high school, so he ended up at Grace's high school. Then in this episode, he miraculously got a full scholarship to the same college that Grace will attend, so he doesn't need his aunt's money for his education.

• Love 2

So now the Merriwicks have a comet named after them. To think that nobody had every heard of the Merriwicks before when the movie started and now they've got their names stamped on practically everything. And the comet is green? 

Is Luke going to the same school as Grace? I'm not clear on who is going where. Didn't it seem like Grace and Nick were going to be end game when the TV show started? I guess maybe they decided it would be too icky if they were going to be step siblings.

When Cassie was looking through an old box of Grace's stuff there was a photo of Grace when she was little. I didn't get a good enough look at it to see if it was the same kid who played her in The Good Witch's Wonder. I always thought it was weird that she was about three years old and then the next year when the TV show debuted she was 15.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't get a good enough look at it to see if it was the same kid who played her in The Good Witch's Wonder. I always thought it was weird that she was about three years old and then the next year when the TV show debuted she was 15.

1st, I loved the movies way more than the TV show.

2nd, The actor that played Jake, Cassie's 1st husband could not get away from 'Heartland', his other TV show so they made the decision to kill him off. If the TV show is consistent with the timeline, it time jumped 10 years from the last movie. 5 of those years was spent happily married to Jake and the last 5 years was being a widow and moving back to Grey House with only Grace. The other two original kids (Lori and Brandon) go off on their own as they are adults.

3rd, I actually don't watch this on TV, only Netflix and so I won't actually see that scene until next year. I'm hoping what you and other posters say is true and season 5 is better because I just finished season 4 and I did not like it.

• Love 2

The girl with the cafe and food truck. Stephanie? I can't remember her name. She had her long hair just loose and hanging, when she was preparing food in the food truck. Ick.

Love how Sam gets a high profile job offer from a random guest he met one minute ago at the inn. So realistic. 

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, Pickles said:

The girl with the cafe and food truck. Stephanie? I can't remember her name. She had her long hair just loose and hanging, when she was preparing food in the food truck. Ick.

Love how Sam gets a high profile job offer from a random guest he met one minute ago at the inn. So realistic. 

IIRC, he knew him by name and by his reputation from his time in NYC. Not completely improbable, especially if his "vacation" to Grey House was a recruiting mission all along, knowing Sam's happy where he is. That was the one part of this cheese-fest that didn't actually make me cringe or reach for the jump-30-seconds button.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, Marathonrunner said:

My favorite part of last night's show:

Grace is in bed at the university - roomie says get up, we have to go - Grace gets out of bed wearing the clothes she slept in, no bathroom, no face washing, no teeth brushing & off they go - yeah, sure, just like a typical teenage girl

Nitpicking I know but can't they at least make some of this drivel more realistic?

I thought that was disgusting! Her dragon breath and b.o. must have been a hit with whoever she spoke to that morning.

• LOL 1
On 7/29/2019 at 10:02 PM, treeofdreams said:

Yes, Abigail bought Sam's house.

She must have saved a big chunk of change while she was living at Grey House.  Sam's house looks expensive.  Or maybe he gave her a really good deal.

Typical Hallmark fantasy land shit. It's all sunshine and roses in Stepford.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, MerBearHou said:

So last night I decided to go back and start Good Witch from the very beginning, the very first movie.  I too thought I recognized Donovan's mother -- isn't she the same one who played Nancy in the first movie?  The one who was the first lady in town to like Cassie and went to her shop and got aphrodisiac oils which helped her get pregnant??   

I was glad to see the show's return on Sunday.  Yes, it has continuity discrepancies and lots of characters we like who seem to just vanish, but it's a wonderful escape for me and I like Cassie's serenity.  There is no comparison between the chemistry and genuineness that Chris Potter brought vs James Denton who is OK but his manner of speaking bugs me and he's not warm enough for Cassie IMO.  I love Martha and Catherine Disher as levity in the shows and Abigail serves well as one who's prickly and finding her way and in a totally different way of going about it, wants good outcomes for those she cares for.   

Now that the announcement has been made that Bailee Madison won't be in the show going forward and watching her on Sunday, I really think the show is going to miss her.  Are Abigail and Donovan going to be the future of Good Witch?

James Denton is such a dud. I watched him on Desperate Housewives and I don't remember his acting and facial "expressions" and looks being so bad.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Has Cassie always worn glitter eye shadow? It struck me as being strangely out of place in the middle of the day. She looked like she was heading out to go clubbing.

I guess that’s Hallmark’s way of making her look witchy. 🙄

• LOL 3

I am liking this season SO much better than the last couple!  It's not perfect, and I'm still mad they have watered down the magic, but I still enjoy it.  

Last night's episode had both Tom AND Grandpa!!  That's almost never happened.  They must have upped the budget a bit.  And, Cassie FINALLY had a scene with Nick.  I am really surprised they haven't had her interact with him more this season.  She didn't tell him she loved him though.  When Bailee Madison leaves the show is the actor who plays Nick also leaving? 

@Beden, thanks for mentioning the show Bible.  I have often meant to ask about it but forgot.  Like you, I kind of just wonder if they decided to chuck it/ignore it.  

So, they threw us a bone (albeit a tiny bone) this episode -- Cassie knew that Martha needed a gift for Dottie and which gift would be good.  I still miss her ability to communicate with plants and animals and to seemingly make things happen, rather than just her prescience, but at least maybe Hallmark got some writers this season who pay a bit more attention and/or care.  

I just realized something -- I bet that Stephanie's new man is a chaplain in order to appease their core Christian audience.   They've already watered down the magic, so maybe this is another step in that direction.  Or, maybe it's a way to show that magic and religion can co-exist and thrive in Middleton, like Cassie's non-traditional healing co-exists with Sam's medicine. Or, maybe I'm waayyyyy overthinking this and the writers have no idea what is going on. I like his character though and the actor is really handsome. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Last night's episode had both Tom AND Grandpa!! 

It's kind of strange the only hold-over from Cassie's family in the TV movies is George. He is not actually related to Cassie, or to Grace. He is not her grandfather, he was Jake's father in law, and he was Brandon and Lori's grandfather. I suppose he is Grace's honorary grandfather since he is grandfather to her two half-siblings, but considering that the show has jettisoned both Lori and now Brandon, and has also completely forgotten about Derek, George isn't the one I'd expect to outlast them all. Especially since they disappeared his wife without explanation.

• Love 1

I really enjoy this show (I also like the Hallmark and HMM movies). While I agree they've watered down the magic, it does seem like Cassie has strong premonitions and uses them to help the people in her town. It's like she knows what's going to happen and then nudges people into the best possible outcome for each individual. I'd love to be able to do that for my friends and loved ones. I also like her little sayings, they have a weight to them that I try to apply in my own life day to day. One example is when she was telling Martha to focus on who she wants to be instead of focusing on the person who wronged her. Great life advice!

• Love 2

I watched seasons 1-4 on Netflix and bought season 5 from Amazon. I am SO grateful the wedding is over, geez like 2 middle aged people can’t get married without so much drama. Half the time I am trying to figure out where Stephanie’s boyfriends go. Whose that guy? .....mostly I resent the complete reduction of earth religion to party tricks.

my husband loves the show but it’s way too saccharine for me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I haven’t watched Good Witch in a long while. I caught it tonight & was dismayed to see CB’s face & lips look more puffy with fillers. If she has a medical condition I’m sorry I said it, otherwise- yikes!

I don’t like Grace’s hair at all. It looks messy like she rolled out of bed, it’s flat on top & the ends look bleached & dry. She’s had gorgeous hair on previous seasons.

So she’s going into fashion design? Good profession, but I thought she was so smart in math & really liked interning at Sams clinic. Apparently I have a lot to catch up on.

Are Brandon & Lori permanently written out of the series? Why wouldn’t they be there for Grace’s graduation? 

Sonce I haven’t been watching I don’t know what’s up with the stupid “mystery key”, but I hated that part of the story.

• Love 4

Neither Grace nor Nick got a car for graduation. Cheap-ass parents! You know darn well they could have afforded it.

Are Brandon & Lori permanently written out of the series? Why wouldn’t they be there for Grace’s graduation? 

Yeah I'm still hoping someone will explain where Brandon and Tara went. They were at the wedding, and Grace said something about how they were leaving the next day and Brandon said it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. What was? I'm assuming he got a job somewhere else, but if it was ever explained, it must have been in the last Halloween movie because I utterly missed it.

I'm confused about this "treasure" thing too. Nobody knew what it even was, and then when the little drawer popped open Martha seemed to know there were supposed to be two other gems but they were missing. Has she really known all along? And is that supposed to be a real emerald? An emerald that size would be worth a king's ransom.

Yes, the ruby was the "Heart of Middleton" that went missing last season, but was returned.

The whole treasure thing is not well presented.  Apparently no one even knew there was a treasure until (Martha?) accidentally found the scroll hidden behind a panel in the wall, which contained the key.  Then there were all those obscure clues, and the music box hidden in the tunnel under the windmill which had burned down.  Discovering the treasure depended on someone finding the hidden scroll, being able to decipher the clues, open the safe, and find the almost invisible writing inside the safe, then find the one inscribed stone in the wall of a tunnel built of thousands of stones.

So I suppose next season we will go looking for the diamond that completes the set.

Edited to add:  Or did they know that the treasure existed?  Did I miss something?

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1

New Poster here! Hi Everyone! I've been laughing out loud reading your comments - wish I had found this forum sooner!  

Did we know that Grace was going to study fashion in college? I feel it came out of nowhere! 

• Love 8

The fashion thing for Grace definitely came out of the blue. Does her college even have a fashion program? Why wasn't that mentioned when she was touring the school? Have we ever seen her sew before or show any interest in clothing design?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, jada said:

Did we know that Grace was going to study fashion in college? I feel it came out of nowhere! 

It did come out of nowhere.  She was originally accepted to her high school on the basis of her writing, and she wanted to become a journalist. She did intern with Sam, so there was that possibility of a medical interest.  I think the writers just have had no idea what to do with her.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I suppose if Grace is ever mentioned again, she will be a famous fashion designer in NYC or Paris.

Since she has now left the show, that would give a reason she is never seen again.

I was wondering how plausible the storyline is about the food blogger wanting to be a partner in a small town food truck that needs to be open 24 hours a day.  She sounds like someone who travels around writing about food.  And will she be a new character who, along with Abigail and Stephanie, will continually be on the hunt for a man?

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Since she has now left the show, that would give a reason she is never seen again.

I was wondering how plausible the storyline is about the food blogger wanting to be a partner in a small town food truck that needs to be open 24 hours a day.  She sounds like someone who travels around writing about food.  And will she be a new character who, along with Abigail and Stephanie, will continually be on the hunt for a man?

I doubt we will ever see the food blogger again. Having her as an investor will just allow Stephanie to continue on with the food truck and the viewers will say---oh, that's right, she has an investor. That's how she can do that food truck and the cafe. 

• Love 2

And her catering business.

I had the impression that her first partner (can't remember his name, Cassie's foster brother) was supposed to be working the truck while Stephanie handled the bistro and her catering business.  Stephanie had closed the food truck down part-time for lack of his help (which is why the blogger told her she needed to stay open 24 hours) and her partner apologized for not being there to do his part, but he had a solution - the blogger wanted to buy out his share and be a partner.  So I would think that meant she would actually work the truck, otherwise Stephanie would still be in the same bind of not having someone handle the food truck.

I am giving this entirely too much thought.  Moving on.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Pickles said:

The fashion thing for Grace definitely came out of the blue. Does her college even have a fashion program? Why wasn't that mentioned when she was touring the school? Have we ever seen her sew before or show any interest in clothing design?

Well, she miraculously brought back Cassie’s wedding dress from moth eaten to fabulous. I guess that was her portfolio! 🤣

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, jada said:

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

She certainly was no fashion statement in the show!  Such a ridiculous thing to throw in. They promoted her as more of a braniac throughout the show, always tutoring and being good in math, then suddenly she's a fashion aficianado. And Cassie always knew that Grace was interested in fashion? Thanks for letting us in on it, show. In five seasons, not even a hint. I can't imagine why they would do it. Maybe they'll have her come back (after a year of college 😄 ) as a greatest female designer to rival the likes of Vivienne Westwood and Vera Wang.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm confused about this "treasure" thing too. Nobody knew what it even was

Another thing thrown in practically at random. And also, suddenly Sam's great hobby is sleuthing? Never mentioned or hinted at before. They threw in everything but the kitchen sink in this episode. Must be trying to ensure another season renewal.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Well, she miraculously brought back Cassie’s wedding dress from moth eaten to fabulous. I guess that was her portfolio! 🤣

Is it just me or did Cassie never actually acknowledged that Grace "fixed" the dress? And the dress looked like a modern taken on vintage. They could have easily picked up something more appropriate at a vintage shop or thrift store. I kept trying to spot what exactly grace could have been fixing on the dress - lol. It was clearly brand new. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Didn't it seem like Grace and Nick were meant to be endgame when the show first started? I guess at some point the writers thought it would be too icky if they wound up as step-siblings. 

This thing with Grace suddenly deciding she wants to study fashion design might have been something they were planning to pursue next season before they knew Bailey Madison wasn't coming back. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Didn't it seem like Grace and Nick were meant to be endgame when the show first started? I guess at some point the writers thought it would be too icky if they wound up as step-siblings. 

This thing with Grace suddenly deciding she wants to study fashion design might have been something they were planning to pursue next season before they knew Bailey Madison wasn't coming back. 

I thought (I don't know why) that the writers planned it all along for Grace and Nick to be gone after this season. Everyone is headed off to college, etc. I was assuming it was a mutually agreed upon decision between the writers and the actors and everyone knew going into this season.

I can buy the kids going off to college, but the fashion design career seemed to come out of nowhere. Her character was taking AP physics & calculus, won 1st place in the math contest, valedictorian, etc. A different career (I was thinking medical because she loved her time interning with Sam) would have made much more sense. And they could have tied in that she was a “healer” from her mom. 

• Love 9

And just to add to the discussion about Grace's epiphany about fashion design, we have never seen Grace design anything.  The dress she made for her graduation party was designed by someone else, who also just taught her how to sew.

Just because someone is good at sewing does not mean they will be good at designing.

• Love 8

I thought (I don't know why) that the writers planned it all along for Grace and Nick to be gone after this season. Everyone is headed off to college, etc. I was assuming it was a mutually agreed upon decision between the writers and the actors and everyone knew going into this season.

It doesn't feel like anything specific was planned because Grace was 15 when this show started five years ago. How many years are supposed to have passed? She should be 20 now. I'll assume five years have not passed in Good Witch time, but last season it seemed like they were seniors and this season they were still in high school. The whole timeline is kind of a mess. 

It also appears that news of Bailey Madison not returning came as something of a surprise, so that doesn't indicate it was a departure planned from Day 1 either.

That's why I think this whole "I wanna be a dress designer!" plot point was maybe a device they cooked up to keep her on the show even though she's supposed to be going off to college. If they didn't plan on writing her off, how to keep her in the story? Probably by having her intern or something with someone locally.

Finally finished ep 10 season 5. Cluttered with drop in cast members. Was impressed that Denton could dead lift Bell. The Grace plot was really stupid but I loved the older designer woman. Wonder how much longer they can milk this show, is season 6 the end? 

• LOL 1

Report back when you find out, Jada!  I think the magic really started to slide in the Good Witch's Wonder, when it was discovered to be a trick of a mirror that caused the magic of Cassie appearing or disappearing. (If I've got the wrong movie, let me know -- I'm at work and not at home where I can check.)  Then, the first episode or two of the television series kept in some magic (thought not much), in that Cassie could communicate with the bird that got into Sam's office.  From then on though, it really went downhill in the magic arena.

• Love 4

So far made it to the good witch's family - where Abigail joins - she literally has voodoo dolls she practises magic with and Cassie has a "sitting room" which appears to be dedicated to magic. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Does anyone know when the fall Good Witch movie will air?

Good Witch: Curse from a Rose airs on Saturday October 19th 9pm/8c. Hallmark doesn't have a full preview up yet

* Don't forget Christmas begins on Friday October 25th! 😒 So repeats of the movie will be scarce. 

• Love 1