Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Put White on Me

• Start Topic

Boden has a lapse in judgment in the aftermath of rescuing a young boy. Kidd struggles to win the approval of Severide's mom after a surprise visit and Otis takes on new responsibilities at the firehouse.

Ah, good old barroom conversations.  Nothing like them to test a relationship.

What station was it that had the roach infestation?  Station 19?  A bit coincidental, just maybe?

I don't think the CFD would have been liable in the child custody incident, would they?  Unless I missed something, there was no negligence involved in returning the boy to one of his parents, since the custody status wasn't known.

It's my understanding that most of the time in real life, EMTs and medics would like to get picked up by an FD.  The pay is hugely better than the private sector, and so is the insurance.  In fact, there's usually battles between private services and FDs over who can provide the appropriate level of service to a community (coughAMRcough).  I can't imagine Gabby ever getting on a private ride, and not being able to boss around supervisors and switch jobs on a whim.  And, of course, it gave the 51 crew a chance to be heroes during the worst snowball fight in Chicago.  Yeah, jump right in front of an armed gangbanger and shout "Stop shooting."  That works. 

Kudos to the posters who called Otis being the Man of Miraculous Recoveries.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

This would be a great time for Stella to pack up her bags and move out, 'cause no way you wanna be in the middle of your roommate/lover's estranged parents' hook up. 

Also, she might want to suggest Kelly to throw out that mattress and get new sheets, ew.

I still don't think Casey HAD to know about a fling his wife had a DECADE AGO, even though he wasn´t upset about the fling per se, but Gaby had every right to keep that to herself. 

Also, having the private paramedics show up with a patient all jeweled up and expensive looking clothes after ditching the GSW victims was a bit on the nose.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I don't think the CFD would have been liable in the child custody incident, would they?  Unless I missed something, there was no negligence involved in returning the boy to one of his parents, since the custody status wasn't known.

Kudos to the posters who called Otis being the Man of Miraculous Recoveries.

I know they were just being nice guys, but I definitely think they should have waited until child services came. Those parents left a young boy at a public swimming pool without a parent/guardian to supervise him. I would have made sure there was a report and follow up with CPS. 

And for the CFD to agree to just hand over money to that couple without even checking into their story was ridiculous! It would have been easy to check if the court had given the mom sole custody because of the dad's mental condition. Sloppy!

Loved that Otis came back and worked with Connie. It made me happy and a bit sad too.

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 9
(edited)

So glad Otis has recovered enough in mere days to drive a car (insert eyeroll).......maybe he had Nat over at Med treat him because she shrunk tumours in an hour & cured whooping cough with mere thoughts and prayers so perhaps Otis paid her a visit and she healed his spinal injury.

Yet again, everyone else is incompetent, they really need to get some new schtick.....so Rafferty & Chout left the Ambo is disarray? Station 19 is roach infested (they really are petty aren't they) and the two fat useless CPD cops who showed up, sat in the car and copped a gobful from Cpt Henpecked....Intelligence must have been busy as they seem to be the only competent cops in Chicago.

Anyone else praying Gabby took the job? When she asked Brett why she seems to get involved in 51 drama every week.....I thought, yep so do we. I'm surprised she didn't fight those parents for custody. And no government department anywhere in the world just hands over a cheque for compensation the day after an incident, with no investigation. That shit drags on for years.

Although it was nice to see someone else be the hero though for a change, but then they ruined that with Kidd's need to slag off the new guy. Oh that's right, he's not one of them so he's useless.

Finally....hey Captain Casey why don't you man up and tell the other firefighters to grow up and act like adults rather than decide you are going to kick a guy out because Hermann can't act like a professional.

It's limping to the line isn't it......

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 10

When she asked Brett why she seems to get involved in 51 drama every week.....I thought, yep so do we.

That was very meta, wasn't it?

Good grief, Kim Delaney is playing Severide's mom? I haven't seen her in anything since NYPD Blue went off the air, and now I feel really old.

I don't see how the couple trying to pull a scam on the station would have ever gotten away with it. If it went to trial investigators would have uncovered the sham in minutes.

But perhaps the most absurd thing I've ever seen on this show (and that's saying a lot) was Gabby and Brett crouched down on the ground while gang members are firing on them and they don't even get hit! I mean, they are right out in the open with no cover, the shooters have multiple weapons and what sounded like machine guns and they don't even get clipped? WTF? Who were they even shooting at? That was just a really poorly staged and directed scene.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, rhys said:

Yup, station 19 having a roach infestation was fucking hilarious. Where did the title of this episode come from?

Grabby is talking about how she couldn't go outside when she was little without finding a mud puddle. It's something her mom used to say.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That was very meta, wasn't it?

Good grief, Kim Delaney is playing Severide's mom? I haven't seen her in anything since NYPD Blue went off the air, and now I feel really old.

I don't see how the couple trying to pull a scam on the station would have ever gotten away with it. If it went to trial investigators would have uncovered the sham in minutes.

But perhaps the most absurd thing I've ever seen on this show (and that's saying a lot) was Gabby and Brett crouched down on the ground while gang members are firing on them and they don't even get hit! I mean, they are right out in the open with no cover, the shooters have multiple weapons and what sounded like machine guns and they don't even get clipped? WTF? Who were they even shooting at? That was just a really poorly staged and directed scene.

I was screaming at the tv during the shooting. That was so absurd. Had I been one of those EMT's, I would have been flat on the pavement. So stupid. 

• Love 3

Meh... 

Really, I can't believe the chief before Boden arrives would allow that with the ambo. 

Mama Severide seems like a real jerk, who comes to visit their kid and says I'm going to stay with you without asking first? Oh wait, I'm sure that does happen but ugh. Do you think she didn't like Stella or was Stella trying too hard? 

The kid, I bet the mom would have been asked by the media why she left her kid alone in the pool and I would think they would have waited for CPD or CPS. That was such a dumb story-line. 

I think we knew Otis was going to suddenly get better but I admit, I felt bad for Cordova when they sounded so excited to see Otis. I bet he can't wait to get out of there. 

Does anyone know if that is true about private ambulances? Do they only take people who are insured? 

The gunbattle was ridiculous. 

Isn't there any hotels in Chicago where Mamma and pappa could uh.. um... ewwww? I hope Kelly gets a new mattress and new sheets. 

• Love 4

I think the con couple thought they'd get away with the scam because the mom's threat to the City/CFD wasn't just the lawsuit but to go to the press within 24 or 48 hours if she hadn't received a check. . They were basically banking on the City/CFD wanting to avoid bad PR and a few ugly news cycles more than the City's desire to save money and make sure they weren't being conned.  And avoiding bad press seemed to be the priority for the City rep at that meeting with Boden. The couple probably would've gotten away with it if Otis' guilt hadn't gotten the better of him and he followed up with the family.

I almost had hope for a second that the writers were trying something new and Gabby might be held accountable for how she treats Casey when Casey started talking about how his issue wasn't the hook-up but Gabby's need to keep Casey in the dark and/or lie to him about what's going on or what she's done. Of course he caved 15 seconds later but for those 15 seconds I had hope the writers might try something different. But, nope. Nothing new to see. I did roll my eyes though when Gabby said it'll never happen again. I feel like she's said that before.

Stella needs to run not walk out of Severide's apartment with that family dynamic in play. And ask him to burn everything in his room before she steps foot in it again. Severide's relationship with his dad is iffy on a good day. But mom and dad back together and hooking up in Severide's bed? The guy already needed about a decade of therapy before he walked in on his parent's post-coitus.

• Love 5

Was the kid in on another family scam? He stayed in the water as if he was on strict instructions to get electrocuted or drown (which ever comes first) for a nice pay day.

I had to laugh when the SAS team just packed up and left the scene (probably didn't call for police assistance).  

When the drunk guy mentioned banging one of the owners, I was hoping they all looked at Herman first.

I know why Casey was really upset, he has now dropped to the 3rd guy ( I assume) on Gabby's fire house bedding list.

After Stella told mama Sheridan"to let him have it" I had a feeling she would. Will she blame the good book for her actions?

I agree with all that the shoot out was terrible, what made it more stupid was they all stopped because Cordova said so.

• Love 6

I haven't been watching this show much lately. But after that episode, I came here to ask if the writing is always that bad.

The con parents story had more holes than swiss cheese. First they leave their kid at alone which should have CPS examining them closely if not taking the boy away. Then the mom gets hysterical because they let the boy go with the dad because he doesn't have "custody".  You don't need custody to spend time with a kid, if you did, no child would have a babysitter or be allowed to go to school since teachers don't have custody.  And what was it with the city being willing to hand over all that money without even investigating the people much less putting up a fight.  If that gets out, everyone will be threatening to sue them.

The Casey/Gabby thing was more artificially manufactured drama. Gabby doesn't owe Casey a list of all the men she was with before they got together any more than he owes her one, but it would have been nice to give him a head's up when one of them started working with them.

• Love 3

I was trying to decide which would upset me more if I were Casey:  that my spouse didn’t give me a heads up or that she explained she didn’t do so because she thought I would be unprofessional about it.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, Guildford said:

Finally....hey Captain Casey why don't you man up and tell the other firefighters to grow up and act like adults rather than decide you are going to kick a guy out because Hermann can't act like a professional.

This. So much of this. Casey was going to get rid of Cordova, because Hermann is an ass to him? Really? It does not matter who they bring in because they will be an inevitable plot device. Seriously, I am really disliking a majority of the characters.

Of course Otis has a miraculous recovery. Of course he does. Sigh.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, minamurray78 said:

I still don't think Casey HAD to know about a fling his wife had a DECADE AGO, even though he wasn´t upset about the fling per se, but Gaby had every right to keep that to herself. 

Casey wasn't upset about her dating this Cordova guy a decade ago. He was upset that she didn't tell him about it.  It was a trust issue, nothing else!! And like he said, it wasn't the first time...Dawson really doesn't know her husband if she thought that he would be unfair to Cordova if he knew...Matt is not a vindictive type. And Gabby should realise that by now. If her marriage is so important to her, then her loyalty should have been with her husband, not an ex-fling...

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Does anyone know if that is true about private ambulances? Do they only take people who are insured? 

As far as I know, non-emergency medical transports can require insurance or some means of payment before picking up a patient.  However, if you're on the list for emergency response, you pick up the patient, transport, and bill them.  If they don't have the means to pay, it goes to Medicare and the ambo company takes what it can get.  One company pulled out of my city because of the low reimbursement from Medicare.

• Love 1

Considering that many ambulance services pay their EMTs and paramedics $15/hr or less (sometimes considerably less, and with scant benefits), I was laughing at that whole storyline.

If there's a report of a shooting on an EMS call, there's always PD dispatched to ensure the scene is safe for unarmed medics, and a "shots fired at EMS" radio call would have half the cop cars in the city there in seconds.

How the actual hell did the two poolside victims survive? They took 480V across their bodies lying on a wet deck. We know that because the woman touched the man's energized body and she dropped like a rock. They'd both have been crispy critters in short order.

• Love 2

Wow, I had a huge crush on Kim Delaney back in the day.  Haven't seen her much at all since.  Makes me feel old.  I guess though she's going to be an unlikable character and instantly has become the disapproving mom.  I'm not sure if I even realized that Kelly's dad still lived in town, I guess I forgot all that.

Well, we all knew it was going to be as simple as Gabby and new guy having bumped uglies ten years ago.  She said they were only dating a few weeks.  Must have been enough time to get horizontal multiple times.  So dumb of her not to say anything immediately to Casey.  And why would Cordova want to go to that house knowing that Gabby was there if he wouldn't even walk into Molly's?

Not like Otis' sad sack storyline, that now he's the lame cripple but - LOOK - he's got other skills like having emergency phone numbers on an excel spreadsheet and he's able to figure out where a lost kid lives by asking him his name!  How special!  Fire department totally should have called the police immediately after getting the kid in an attempt to try to locate the family.  But I guess in this universe, it's left up to heroes like Otis.

EMTs caught in the middle of a gang shootout.  Yeah, really.  And then Cordova tells them to stop shooting and puts his hands up, and they actually do?  LOL.

• Love 7

They could avoid future problems by just putting Gabby on the selection board for personnel transferring into the station. 

Hermann:  "This guy looks good.  Three years on the job, Truck experience, hazmat certification.  Gabby, did you bone this guy before you married Casey?"

Gabby:  "Let me see the photo.  Uh, no, not that one."

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Wow, I had a huge crush on Kim Delaney back in the day.  Haven't seen her much at all since.  Makes me feel old.  I guess though she's going to be an unlikable character and instantly has become the disapproving mom.  I'm not sure if I even realized that Kelly's dad still lived in town, I guess I forgot all that.

W

Why weren't they shagging at his place then?

Kim looks great. I'm jealous!

7 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Not like Otis' sad sack storyline, that now he's the lame cripple but - LOOK - he's got other skills like having emergency phone numbers on an excel spreadsheet and he's able to figure out where a lost kid lives by asking him his name!  How special!  Fire department totally should have called the police immediately after getting the kid in an attempt to try to locate the family.  But I guess in this universe, it's left up to heroes like Otis.

I guess there was a scheduling conflict and they couldn't get Intelligence to drop in and sort it out & we know that every other Cop in CPD is useless so I guess it was left to Otis to work his miracle.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

They could avoid future problems by just putting Gabby on the selection board for personnel transferring into the station. 

Hermann:  "This guy looks good.  Three years on the job, Truck experience, hazmat certification.  Gabby, did you bone this guy before you married Casey?"

Gabby:  "Let me see the photo.  Uh, no, not that one."

Hilarious! This seems to be about the level that the showrunners and writers have sunk this show to now! How much worse can it get? Some of the things in it are so stupid they are laughable. It's the actors l feel sorry for now. They can only do so much with this rubbish and they have a wonderful cast that deserves better, same as Casey deserves so much better than Grabby.

• Love 3
On 4/6/2018 at 4:06 AM, minamurray78 said:

On 4/6/2018 at 7:02 PM, shafted said:

I almost had hope for a second that the writers were trying something new and Gabby might be held accountable for how she treats Casey when Casey started talking about how his issue wasn't the hook-up but Gabby's need to keep Casey in the dark and/or lie to him about what's going on or what she's done. Of course he caved 15 seconds later but for those 15 seconds I had hope the writers might try something different. But, nope. Nothing new to see. I did roll my eyes though when Gabby said it'll never happen again. I feel like she's said that before.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:02 AM, Crs97 said:

I was trying to decide which would upset me more if I were Casey:  that my spouse didn’t give me a heads up or that she explained she didn’t do so because she thought I would be unprofessional about it.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:33 AM, Pallada said:

Casey wasn't upset about her dating this Cordova guy a decade ago. He was upset that she didn't tell him about it.  It was a trust issue, nothing else!! And like he said, it wasn't the first time...Dawson really doesn't know her husband if she thought that he would be unfair to Cordova if he knew...Matt is not a vindictive type. And Gabby should realise that by now. If her marriage is so important to her, then her loyalty should have been with her husband, not an ex-fling...

To be, this situation is about two things, and neither of them are about Gabby having a past romantic history.  First, as others noted, this was about trust, not the past.  First, Gabby thinks she can't trust Casey with the truth, and second, she doesn't trust him to be a better person than she is.  He would not have ever allowed something like this to affect either his marriage or his job.  But she specifically said she didn't tell him so he wouldn't take it out on the new guy.  So she doesn't trust him to do his job, be a professional, and not be a jealous, vindictive person.  Now, yet, that's how I picture Gabby reacting if an old girlfriend of Casey's showed up to work in the house, but Casey is a much better person than Gabby is.

Second, I've decided that, in order to make Gabby screws over Caey stories bearable, to view them as about Casey and his childhood.  We know he grew up in a violently abusive home, and that his mother murdered his father, and that he tried to protect her.  He clearly didn't follow the abusive example, and he doesn't follow the passive example that I think his mom set.  What he did to is to adopt a protector personality.  That's why he kept trying to help and protect his mom, that's why he's so good with victims and people going through trauma.  And I think that in situations like this episode, even though he is rightfully upset that she can't trust him, when Gabby starts with the big eyes and the apologies and the begging him for forgiveness, That protector side comes out, in what I consider an unhealthy way, but he can't bear to not protect her, even if it's from his healthy emotions regarding her actions.  So he buries his own needs and takes her back and allows her to feel good about herself again.  If these writers cared about Casey, this could be a story about how he learns that he isn't responsible for fixing everyone's life, and creating boundaries that even Gabby has to respect.

Also, I accidentally typed "Gaccy" instead of Gabby, and spellcheck suggested "Gassy".  So that was fun.

• Love 6
On 4/6/2018 at 9:00 AM, Guildford said:

So glad Otis has recovered enough in mere days to drive a car (insert eyeroll).......

I wondered about this myself. I have a rare muscle disorder which causes atrophy in the leg muscles; while I CAN drive, I have to put some effort into it. Plus, I've had this issue for 14 years now, so I've gotten used to all the "life hacks" needed to do everyday things. But Otis literally JUST got out of the hospital, and from what we saw in his PT, had his legs secured and had to hold a rail in order not to fall down. That would imply  his legs are NOT capable of pressing the pedals and moving back and forth quickly enough, etc.

On 4/7/2018 at 2:18 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Heaven forbid! Stella was bad enough, telling Casey that some guy was "cute" when he was asking about his professional qualifications. WTF?? Is this middle school? I guess the writers thought that was funny, but IMO it just made Stella look like a ditzy female incapable of being professional, when she usually isn't that way at all.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/7/2018 at 9:19 AM, greyhorse said:

So mom's disapproving of her son having a relationship but she thinks it's ok to jump into bed with her ex-husband? Hypocrite much?

EMTs caught in the middle of a gang shootout.  Yeah, really.  And then Cordova tells them to stop shooting and puts his hands up, and they actually do?  LOL.

The shootout was unintentionally funny.

This episode was a mess...the couple trying to extort money from the CFD, and them going along with it without the least amount of due diligence was absolutely ridiculous!

The Gabby triangle is just about what I expect from her storyline at this point. Pointless and boring.

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I could be not remembering the early seasons correctly, but I thought Mouch had some sort of crush on Gabby in the first couple of seasons. 

Of course he did....doesn't everybody? I think it was more that someone asked him what his perfect woman was and he declared that Gabby was his ideal woman. 

• Love 1
On 4/6/2018 at 9:00 AM, Guildford said:

the two fat useless CPD cops who showed up, sat in the car and copped a gobful from Cpt Henpecked....Intelligence must have been busy as they seem to be the only competent cops in Chicago.

What makes the two fat cops extra stupid is that wouldn't they likely report to Trudy, (ie Mouch's wife) who is the kind of supervisor who wouldn't put up with that kind of job performance.

Plus i have never been to Chicago nor in a shootout, but would guys down in the street really get called in and responded to faster than shots fired? I mean who called 911?

• Love 2
On 4/6/2018 at 10:54 PM, statsgirl said:

I haven't been watching this show much lately. But after that episode, I came here to ask if the writing is always that bad.

Yes, yes it is.

• Love 4

I love this show and have watched it from the beginning. However, I felt really let down by the hideous writing in that shoot-out episode!

No way in hell would those firefighters run out of the truck during gang shoot-outs!

No way would the gang-bangers respond to "hold your fire"! 

After years on the job, risking their lives, would paramedics REALLY stay put working on gang-bangers who put themselves into that dangerous situation? 

And seriously, the writers think the audience will believe that with all those guns and bullets, NOBODY else got shot? Nobody?

I also don't think that after being so street-hardened, that Gabby would look down on someone who retreats to a safer job.   Come on.  Her pay must be horrible, stress is intensely high, and she nearly got killed.  

Oh, and the ridiculously obvious stereotypes of a fat cop late to the scene, and a dolled-up old lady on the private ambulance?  PLEASE!!!!!!!!!  Elementary school students with no imagination could have written that.

I hope whoever wrote this scene got canned. I'd hate for this show to go down the tubes.  I really like it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trees said:

I love this show and have watched it from the beginning. However, I felt really let down by the hideous writing in that shoot-out episode!

No way in hell would those firefighters run out of the truck during gang shoot-outs!

No way would the gang-bangers respond to "hold your fire"! 

After years on the job, risking their lives, would paramedics REALLY stay put working on gang-bangers who put themselves into that dangerous situation? 

And seriously, the writers think the audience will believe that with all those guns and bullets, NOBODY else got shot? Nobody?

I also don't think that after being so street-hardened, that Gabby would look down on someone who retreats to a safer job.   Come on.  Her pay must be horrible, stress is intensely high, and she nearly got killed.  

Oh, and the ridiculously obvious stereotypes of a fat cop late to the scene, and a dolled-up old lady on the private ambulance?  PLEASE!!!!!!!!!  Elementary school students with no imagination could have written that.

I hope whoever wrote this scene got canned. I'd hate for this show to go down the tubes.  I really like it.

Unfortunately this show is already going down the tubes due to the dreadful writing and stupid plotlines. We feel sorry for the cast as there's only so much they can do with this rubbish now! Shoot the runners and writers lm afraid. And Grabby has a huge superiority complex so she looks down on everyone, including her husband! 

• Love 1

Just getting around to watching this.  I really don't get the scam artist parents story.  I get the parents being scam artists and coming up with a story about the CFD not verifying who was authorized to pick up the kid, but shouldn't the story have fallen apart as soon as the lawyers started looking into it?  Did the mom file a fake restraining order and pay someone to back date it before the pool incident?  Because unless the Dad had some sort of restraining order I don't think any authorities would stop the dad from picking the kid up, especially after an emergency situation.  The whole bringing him back to the firehouse setup seemed dumb, wouldn't they call the PD or child services to take care of something like that?  How much time would it take for a child serivce person to ask the kid his name/address/parent's name and figure out where he lives.  I get that right after the traumatic incident maybe the kid didn't feel comfortable talking, but still seems silly they brought him back to the firehouse and have him sitting around for hours.  I'm willing to believe the mom would leave her kid at the pool, but I'm surprised the pool wouldn't have some sort of sign in sheet or record of who's using the pool.  It looked like it was all kids in the water, so I assumed it was a lesson or something, not just an open swim hour or there would have been some other adults besides the 2 that got electrocuted.

• Love 1

What I don't get about the scam is that simple logic makes it fall apart. Otis asked the kid what street he lived on and then his father's name. He searched his dad's name and found that dad lived on that street. So if dad doesn't have custody why does he live on the same street as kid? Sure it is possible, but that right away makes it worth questioning.

• Love 1

I live in Chicago and have heard that even CFD ambulances bill $800 plus for a ride.  So some people who are not seriously injured decline medical care or drive themselves to the ER.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:24 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

f dad doesn't have custody why does he live on the same street as kid?

I think after the woman told them the father didn't have custody, everyone assumed that the listing Otis found was out of date for the father.