Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: We've All Got Our Junk

After their unresolved confrontation with Gordy, Lou and Gail try desperately to get through to him. Lou discovers a crucial element to the show needs a major overhaul, while Tracey resists a blossoming romance. As Gwen reels in the aftermath of a shocking announcement from her parents, Simon finds an unlikely ally. Robbie and Lilette grow closer just as outside forces conspire to put them at odds, and Vanessa takes a stand.

Well, I think Liletts mom will be out of a job for now. I guess she got tired of even her daughter thinking she had no self respect. What a skeeve her boss is, but wow, she apparently had some serious anger under there. 

Can people just keep telling Lou what a dick he is? Its a ton of fun, and should be said more often. Him running around forcing his midlife crisis on everyone is such a massive pain, I bet the second he leaves the teachers lounge, everyone starts talking smack about him. I dont know why they insist on making him such an insufferable, pretentious twit. The guy he`s based on doesn't seem like that, so why make him such a pain? I guess maybe it will be part of a character arc? Because its annoying to watch for now. And I am so totally over his "this is so important we are saving kids!" speeches every five minutes. I love theater and think its important to offer it to students, but, Lou, your not curing cancer here! Maybe it wouldn't bother me if it didnt seem like he uses it as an excuse to steamroll anyone who tells him off for being an asshole.

Simon's mom takes a stand! Pretty sure the reason dad hates the idea of the play is that he is super worried that Simon is gay, and that being in the play will make him come to terms with that. Hence, not wanting to actually say why he hates this play that everyone else seems to be alright with, to the point that he wants to pull him out of school. 

• Love 7

The original play was early 20th century, right?

Nope, 19th. Spring Awakening is based on the 1891 play by the German dramatist Frank Wedekind. The musical shows what happens when neglectful adults fail to make the world safe or comprehensible for teenagers, and the onus that neglect puts on kids to beat their own path forward. Speaking of Glee, which we weren't, Lea Michele played Wendla, the female lead, and Jonathan Groff played Melchior, the male lead

• Love 9

Funny that Lilette yelled at Robbie that his Dad left his sick Mom to be with a younger woman...she was right. 

I thought for certain that Shemar Moore was playing Robbie's Dad until I looked it up on IMDB.

What's with all the strange/goofy first names of characters? Maashous? Lilette? Gordy? I don't think there are ten teenagers in the whole country who have those names.

• Love 5

Missed the first half and turned it on in time to witness Lou be a D-bag to the music conductor. I hope TPTB realize the few viewers they have left are sticking to it for the other characters and not their lead. And we may jump ship too if they don't change him soon.

Am I the only one who think Simon's dad is in the closet when he can't answer his wife and storms away?

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Am I the only one who think Simon's dad is in the closet when he can't answer his wife and storms away?

No, you're not the only one. I had the same thought when I watched that scene.

• Love 12

Well, so much for Lilette's mom realizing that her shitty attitude about men was warping Lilette's view of boys. Telling her daughter "you need to learn from my mistakes" and "girls like you and me don't live in the same world as guys like [Robbie] - that's the reality" are terrible life lessons.

First of all, no, your child should not learn from your mistakes because that means she isn't making her own choices and making her own mistakes. She should not base her life on your decisions. Of course no one wants their kid to get pregnant in high school, but "you need to learn from my mistakes" is a terrible way to put it, especially since that is basically saying that Lilette was a mistake - and what kid ever wants to hear that?

Secondly, quit telling your daughter that she's not good enough for any guy regardless of what you think the reason is. That will just lead to her letting guys treat her like shit because she doesn't think she deserves any better. And then Vanessa has the nerve to act shocked when Lilette says that Robbie's dad doesn't think she's good enough for him because she's poor. Vanessa lacks total self awareness. Telling Lilette, "Never let anyone tell you that you are less than" when she just told Lilette that Robbie lives in a different world about twelve hours ago shows just how far up her ass she has her head. Gee, where do you think your daughter got that idea in the first place?

Third of all, BE A MOTHER. Quit trying to be your daughter's BFF.

Robbie's dad sucks. Shut up, Judgey McJudgerson. First of all, it's not Lilette's fault that her mom is a single parent. Secondly, that doesn't make her mom a bad parent. It doesn't make her anything but a single mom.

I know Gwen is upset about her parents getting divorced but I have a hard time feeling very bad for her because she's being such a brat. She has the nerve to blame HER MOTHER for the divorce and accuse her of not really giving her husband a second chance after he cheated on her? Ugh, STFU, Gwen. Yes, obviously your mom is just being selfish and doing this to "ruin [y]our lives." Of course your mother should just suck it up and stay married to a lying cheating husband so as not to disrupt your precious life. I couldn't believe that she asked her dad to stay married just for her. Girl, grow up. It's time to learn that the world doesn't revolve around you.

And obviously her parents did a good job of hiding their problems from her if she thinks it's "best for their family" for two people who are miserable together to stay together for her sake. I know several people whose parents stayed together but fought constantly and the kids wished that their parents had just divorced to put everyone out of the misery of living unhappily under one roof.

I was cracking up at Lou telling Sandeep that his talent "needs to be seen" by playing in the Spring Awakening band. Whenever my high school did a musical, the musicians were in the pit. They didn't get seen by anyone (although their names were listed in the program).

Lou could have solved all of his band problems if he had just paid to use the pre-recorded musical tracks. Of course, he couldn't afford to pay for those since his budget got slashed to nothing for burning all the pirate costumes. 

I had to laugh that Lou promised not to meddle in Tracey's personal life anymore and then promptly snuck up on her in the hallway and started meddling.

Lou needs to stay in his lane. Let the band guy handle the band stuff. Don't barge into his rehearsal and tell him what to do. It's rude, unprofessional, and overall a shitty thing to do to anyone. If someone came into Lou's play rehearsal and started contradicting him and taking over directing, Lou would have a fit but apparently it's okay for him to do that to everyone else. I loved when Harold threatened to quit. More people need to tell Lou when he's behaving like an ass.

I'm glad that Lou finally told Gordy that his own father was an alcoholic. I just wish he would have flat out said, "This is why I have been so concerned about your drinking. I saw how terribly it affected my father and I don't want to see that happen to you."

• Love 10

Can people just keep telling Lou what a dick he is? Its a ton of fun, and should be said more often. Him running around forcing his midlife crisis on everyone is such a massive pain, I bet the second he leaves the teachers lounge, everyone starts talking smack about him. I dont know why they insist on making him such an insufferable, pretentious twit. The guy he`s based on doesn't seem like that, so why make him such a pain? I guess maybe it will be part of a character arc? Because its annoying to watch for now. And I am so totally over his "this is so important we are saving kids!" speeches every five minutes. I love theater and think its important to offer it to students, but, Lou, your not curing cancer here! Maybe it wouldn't bother me if it didnt seem like he uses it as an excuse to steamroll anyone who tells him off for being an asshole.

THIs, this, this! Everyone knows no one EVER touches a conductor's baton. It's unpardonably rude. Lou is the sort of guy who thinks he can do anything and apologize later. He's just the sort who would push himself on a date and then claim he didn't know she wasn't into it, so sorry! He's a real butt crack in every way. It would be a real magic trick if they can get me to like him now. I'm all for dislikeable characters having a great character arc that brings them from douche to hero, but I get the feeling the writers/creator don't even realize how nasty they've written Lou.

ETA, it would help if this actor was doing it for me. He is not. I don't feel warmth, charm, soul, underneath those supposedly expressive eyes. Nope. Not even a little. He is not selling the character of Lou.

Edited by BonnieD
  • Love 8

On this week of Lou Is The Worst....but with a twist of someone actually calling him out! Woohoo! Harold is my new favourite character! All hail Harold! Seriously, though, it's nice that the show is blatantly telling us that Lou is the worst. He's going through his own midlife crisis with his obsession with theater while stomping across everyone to get what he wants. At least, with Gwen asking her father to stay with their mother being completely selfish, she's still an immature bratty kid. Lou is a 40 year old man. He didn't even apologize to Harold (besides the whole "my bad" line), and he only begged Harold to stay because he was self aware enough to realize that he couldn't reign in the band while doing everything else, not if he wanted to go home at night. 

I get that he's trying with Gordy, but he's still also failing in that department. I don't know whether Gordy really wants to change his ways, or if he's just tired of his parents in general.

The whole Gwen stuff, I guess I understand. She's being a spoiled brat about it, but she's a teenager and has clearly liked having this so-called perfect life until things exploded. I imagine she'll be working on letting her perfect life go and accepting that there will be imperfections from now on.

Simon's mom finally stands up to her husband! Great! And yeah, I also got the closeted vibe from him, so him and Simon will have some stuff to bond over. 

So, Lilette's storyline with her mom and Robbie was...interesting. Of course Lilette freaked out about Robbie and almost ended things completely, only to have them come back together. Her mom really is the worst for planting life lessons that weren't very helpful and could have ended Lilette in some screwed up relationships. Though I do think Lilette totally overreacted when Robbie was asking her questions about her mom. I know his dad sucks, but Robbie seemed genuine in knowing what her mom was like. 

Lilette's mom is so getting fired. That was....definitely an intense response to her standing up for herself, but that'll get her fired and possibly arrested for assault. 

Why do 90% of the adults suck on this show? No wonder half the kids are so screwed up. They have shitty parents! 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Well, so much for Lilette's mom realizing that her shitty attitude about men was warping Lilette's view of boys. Telling her daughter "you need to learn from my mistakes" and "girls like you and me don't live in the same world as guys like [Robbie] - that's the reality" are terrible life lessons.

First of all, no, your child should not learn from your mistakes because that means she isn't making her own choices and making her own mistakes. She should not base her life on your decisions. Of course no one wants their kid to get pregnant in high school, but "you need to learn from my mistakes" is a terrible way to put it, especially since that is basically saying that Lilette was a mistake - and what kid ever wants to hear that?

Secondly, quit telling your daughter that she's not good enough for any guy regardless of what you think the reason is. That will just lead to her letting guys treat her like shit because she doesn't think she deserves any better. And then Vanessa has the nerve to act shocked when Lilette says that Robbie's dad doesn't think she's good enough for him because she's poor. Vanessa lacks total self awareness. Telling Lilette, "Never let anyone tell you that you are less than" when she just told Lilette that Robbie lives in a different world about twelve hours ago shows just how far up her ass she has her head. Gee, where do you think your daughter got that idea in the first place?

Third of all, BE A MOTHER. Quit trying to be your daughter's BFF.

Robbie's dad sucks. Shut up, Judgey McJudgerson. First of all, it's not Lilette's fault that her mom is a single parent. Secondly, that doesn't make her mom a bad parent. It doesn't make her anything but a single mom.

I know Gwen is upset about her parents getting divorced but I have a hard time feeling very bad for her because she's being such a brat. She has the nerve to blame HER MOTHER for the divorce and accuse her of not really giving her husband a second chance after he cheated on her? Ugh, STFU, Gwen. Yes, obviously your mom is just being selfish and doing this to "ruin [y]our lives." Of course your mother should just suck it up and stay married to a lying cheating husband so as not to disrupt your precious life. I couldn't believe that she asked her dad to stay married just for her. Girl, grow up. It's time to learn that the world doesn't revolve around you.

And obviously her parents did a good job of hiding their problems from her if she thinks it's "best for their family" for two people who are miserable together to stay together for her sake. I know several people whose parents stayed together but fought constantly and the kids wished that their parents had just divorced to put everyone out of the misery of living unhappily under one roof.

I was cracking up at Lou telling Sandeep that his talent "needs to be seen" by playing in the Spring Awakening band. Whenever my high school did a musical, the musicians were in the pit. They didn't get seen by anyone (although their names were listed in the program).

Lou could have solved all of his band problems if he had just paid to use the pre-recorded musical tracks. Of course, he couldn't afford to pay for those since his budget got slashed to nothing for burning all the pirate costumes. 

I had to laugh that Lou promised not to meddle in Tracey's personal life anymore and then promptly snuck up on her in the hallway and started meddling.

Lou needs to stay in his lane. Let the band guy handle the band stuff. Don't barge into his rehearsal and tell him what to do. It's rude, unprofessional, and overall a shitty thing to do to anyone. If someone came into Lou's play rehearsal and started contradicting him and taking over directing, Lou would have a fit but apparently it's okay for him to do that to everyone else. I loved when Harold threatened to quit. More people need to tell Lou when he's behaving like an ass.

I'm glad that Lou finally told Gordy that his own father was an alcoholic. I just wish he would have flat out said, "This is why I have been so concerned about your drinking. I saw how terribly it affected my father and I don't want to see that happen to you."

Me too. In one extreme case I know of, staying together for the kids ruined the family - damaged the relationship between parents and kids irreparably. Odds are excellent that Gwen (thanks for the name, I didn't know it) wouldn't be happier if the parents stayed together - the parents are clearly miserable together and it would seep into the house. 

I didn't realize Lilette's mother was going to WHUP THAT ASS. I thought she'd just throw one punch. She's gonna be out of a job, yes.

Lou really does need to stay in his lane. He doesn't know what he doesn't know but he thinks he knows everything, which is a bad place to be. Also, Lou was WAY overdue with his talk with Gordy about his father's alcoholism, and Gordy was excellent in that scene - his face showed a ton of emotion. He managed to look small and hopeful at the same time.

Really liked the scene with Simon's mom pushing his dad about the play. "Why are you so afraid of THIS play?"

Lilette and Robbie are SO cute. Teenage me would have had a crush on Robbie.

I really liked the kids singing "My Junk" at the end. It made me miss singing. I used to love to sing!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Me too. In one extreme case I know of, staying together for the kids ruined the family - damaged the relationship between parents and kids irreparably. Odds are excellent that Gwen (thanks for the name, I didn't know it) wouldn't be happier if the parents stayed together - the parents are clearly miserable together and it would seep into the house. 

I think that if they hadn't hidden it from her so well, she might understand why they are getting divorced. In trying to protect her, they let her keep believing that their relationship and their family was fine. If, like some other people I know, she had been hearing them scream at each other about exactly what they're so mad at each other about for months or years on end, she wouldn't be so eager for them to stay married. I'm not saying that they should have involved her in their marital difficulties, but in letting her maintain that blissful ignorance, she really thinks that they could have just kept on living together in the same house. I agree that eventually the misery seeps out and it begins to affect everyone else in the house. I think that her parents were probably able to keep their unhappiness under wraps more easily when she was younger (because a lot of kids are oblivious) and that the dad's affair with Lilette's mom was just the catalyst. Or to quote When Harry Met Sally:

Jess: Marriages don't break up on a count of infidelity. It's just a symptom that something else is wrong.
Harry: Oh really? Well that symptom is fucking my wife.

11 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

It made me miss singing. I used to love to sing!

Singing is so good for you so start singing again, even if it's just when you're alone in your car!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think that if they hadn't hidden it from her so well, she might understand why they are getting divorced. In trying to protect her, they let her keep believing that their relationship and their family was fine. If, like some other people I know, she had been hearing them scream at each other about exactly what they're so mad at each other about for months or years on end, she wouldn't be so eager for them to stay married. I'm not saying that they should have involved her in their marital difficulties, but in letting her maintain that blissful ignorance, she really thinks that they could have just kept on living together in the same house. I agree that eventually the misery seeps out and it begins to affect everyone else in the house. I think that her parents were probably able to keep their unhappiness under wraps more easily when she was younger (because a lot of kids are oblivious) and that the dad's affair with Lilette's mom was just the catalyst. Or to quote When Harry Met Sally:

Jess: Marriages don't break up on a count of infidelity. It's just a symptom that something else is wrong.
Harry: Oh really? Well that symptom is fucking my wife.

Singing is so good for you so start singing again, even if it's just when you're alone in your car!

Oh, I do sing when I'm alone! I have been thinking about getting back into it in a more organized way - joining a choir or something. I sang all through middle, high school, and college, and then poof! No more outlet for it. I really liked being a part of groups - literally lending your voice to something beautiful. I know it sounds corny, but the kids singing and clearly having fun with it reminded me of that.

• Love 1

I have really enjoyed Rise.  Even with the surrounding drama, Rise is another step in the revival of musical theater on TV.  The young cast has been excellent and the adults (Josh Radnor, Rosie Perez, Marley Shelton, etc) have gotten it done.  The budding romance between Tracey and Andy is very sweet and well played by the actors.  One nice thing about last night's episode was that as it closed, we really got the hear the kids and the band go all out on the musical number from SA.  Sure it's a pre-recorded sound track there's some serious vocal talent in the group.  I look forward to each new episode and hopefully enough people do to give the show life beyond its initial ten episodes.

• Love 2

I'm glad it's not just me, in continuing to find Lou insufferable.  I think part of my particular issue is that the whole condescending know-it-all vibe automatically makes me think "Ted Mosby, High School Theater Director".   But he really is one of the least likable characters on the show, and it's making it hard for me to like the show enough to keep watching.  

• Love 6
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In the staging of Spring Awakening the band

Spoiler

is on stage.  Not that that is so big focus for him still.  The show is set in the 19th century but  they have the band and use mic to kind of modernize  it.

The Katims signature style camerawork doesn’t bother me but I’ve got to remember this is not like other shows when a zoom in doesn’t necessarily mean they’re dropping a hint. For example, when they showed the band director’s shaky hands, I thought he was going to have a heart attack (of course, after agreeing with Lou and seeing his “vision” and the whole band miraculously becoming perfect after one more practice). Then when Gwen was looking at her dads empty side of the closet, it seemed to linger on a belt hanging on the rod for just a second too long. I thought the poor girl was going to attempt suicide. I’m so glad none of that happened. 

I like the show but agree with others that Lou (and his family) being a big focus is a misstep. I also thought the actor was Zachary Levi for the entire pilot. Josh Radnor just seems like such a sad sack of a guy as Lou. ...Wait is his name Lou Mazzou? Yikes. I agree with the poster above. The names on this show are ROUGH. 

• Love 1

The last number was really nice. I want more singing, and less of the other crap. I absolutely loved Tracy's huge smile with Simon back and everyone singing together.

3 hours ago, reallyjustjen said:

I think part of my particular issue is that the whole condescending know-it-all vibe automatically makes me think "Ted Mosby, High School Theater Director".

Same here. Unfortunately, there are a lot of similarities between both characters. If Lou starts pronouncing words weirdly, then we know this is just an alternate version.

• Love 1

ARGH. Every week Mr Mazzu is a massive jerk to someone, that person tells him he's being a massive jerk.... and then he is somehow proven "right" and his jerkiness is vindicated and he learns nothing and smiles like a smug piece of crap. Every. Week.

Are you kidding me with grabbing the baton like that? Or the idea that the kids were having so much "fun" and feel so liberate playing at what was a pretty moderate tempo while a douchebag teacher flailed his arms around? Or that the kid who can rock out on electric guitar just couldn't resist the excitement of playing backing music for musical theater? Or the teachers getting all creepily into two teenagers kissing on stage? 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Nope, 19th. Spring Awakening is based on the 1891 play by the German dramatist Frank Wedekind. The musical shows what happens when neglectful adults fail to make the world safe or comprehensible for teenagers, and the onus that neglect puts on kids to beat their own path forward. Speaking of Glee, which we weren't, Lea Michele played Wendla, the female lead, and Jonathan Groff played Melchior, the male lead

But when is the musical set? The song they sang mentioned a “stereo.”

23 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Who else thought “male genitalia” every time the kids sang about junk? Anyone? Just me?

Raises hand. ?

• Love 1

While Robbie's dad was talking to him about his bright future in football, all I could notice was that Robbie looks like 2 feet smaller than his father and in no way should he be playing varsity football in high school let alone hopes for college and professional football.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:46 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Why do 90% of the adults suck on this show? No wonder half the kids are so screwed up. They have shitty parents! 

Perhaps it's a parallel to SPRING AWAKENING?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, plurie said:

Perhaps it's a parallel to SPRING AWAKENING?

Except Melchior’s Mom. She’s pretty cool, although maybe should have take Moritz’s veiled threat more seriously. 

14 hours ago, Unraveled said:

Same here. Unfortunately, there are a lot of similarities between both characters. If Lou starts pronouncing words weirdly, then we know this is just an alternate version.

Ha, i was just telling a friend who was a die hard HIMYM fan and watches this show, that I'm waiting to hear Lou mention his trip to the Renaissance Fair!

On 4/11/2018 at 1:18 AM, Frisky Wig said:

Who else thought “male genitalia” every time the kids sang about junk? Anyone? Just me?

Not so much, but I’m embarrassed to say that when Robbie said something along the lines of  “and after the show I’ll be into you” all I could think was “yeah, you will be!” ?

Edited by Jessa
Typos
On 4/12/2018 at 1:24 AM, nilyank said:

While Robbie's dad was talking to him about his bright future in football, all I could notice was that Robbie looks like 2 feet smaller than his father and in no way should he be playing varsity football in high school let alone hopes for college and professional football.

Wasn’t Doug Flutie small for a QB? 

That song at the end was fantastic.  Those kids are super talented.  But other than Robbie and Lilllete most of the characters are annoying. I'm sick of whiny Gwen and mopey Gordie, and all the adults other than Tracy are horrible.  Lou may be the worst but Robbie's dad is a close second. I guess I like Simon too now that he's standing up for himself, and I hope we see more of the guitar boy.  Despite my complaints I'm starting to feel invested in the story and look forward to seeing the play come together.

• Love 3