Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Did Harvey really not understand how the Haitian couple wasn't actually related? It's like this: Henry has a sister with whom he only shares one parent (let's assume the same mother). That sister has a sister with whom she only shares one parent (let's assume the same father). So, his sister's sister (the wife) has no blood relation to him because they have no parent in common-- they just each have a different common parent with the sister. Sure, it takes a minute to get it, but it ain't rocket science. Harvey was acting like it's impossible. Idiot.

• Love 5

My girl crush on MM wavered a little today when she repeatedly called a chimney a "chim-i-ney". Someone talk me off the ledge! Is that a regional thing?

I didn't think it was possible for Curt to ramp up his assholishness any further, but he has found a way. Stop badgering people and assaulting them with your microphone and your dated vocabuary, jerkwad! We shall not even speak of The Evil One on the street.

Despite the above, I am thrilled to have new episodes! Seemed like a long freaking wait, didn't it?

That killed me - I kept singing the chimney song from Mary Poppins - "chim chim-i-ny chim chim-i-ny chim chim Charoo...."

Ive never heard an adult use that pronunciation...

The Haiti case was horrible...I can't believe MM let it go on that long....oy......

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 2

Did Harvey really not understand

I didn't listen to his screeching, but of course he didn't get it because he never listens. He just shoots off his big, ugly piehole non-stop. "GOTCHERPOINT!"  "Squatter? He hardly knew 'er!!" That's his level.

Haiti case was horrible...I can't believe MM let it go on that long....

By the time we got to Henry's crocodile tears and imploring, I was begging out loud for it to end.

I was very surprised she said chim-in-ey.  And so many times.  Jarring!  The only thing I can think of is that the Spanish word is interfering with her pronunciation.  The Spanish word is chimenea. 

The Haitian case -- WTF?  He married his sister's sister?  Ugh.

• Love 2

the Haiti case was that she wanted money back for something she had paid

That's the thing - everything should have been in the divorce decree and there was no way from the get-go that plaintiff (who was so unable to control herself she had to be ordered to "sit" in order to make her shut up) was going to win, so it's really unfathomable why this dragged on so long. Maybe JM just wanted to hear all the fucked-up details of their ridiculous lives.

• Love 2

Today's second case, with the woman who stole the fridge and beat some rent payments ---- I know this isn't nice, but I am skeptical of the defendant's supposed diagnoses of cancer, heart disease, and a heart attack. I don't know what to say about the sister's murdered husband. His body wasn't cold yet, but she's looking put-together on the People's Court - not as a witness, but just along for the ride. (If it was a jailhouse murder, I might understand her willingness to keep it moving and have some TPC excitement.)

• Love 8

I know this isn't nice, but I am skeptical of the defendant's supposed diagnoses of cancer, heart disease, and a heart attack.

I guess I'm not "nice" either, because I didn't buy it. If I had a heart attack a few days ago (and have FOUR kids) appearing on the People's Court would be last on my list of priorities. And yeah, sister's hubby may have been murdered in prison, so her grief may be minimal, or maybe in their world such events aren't outside the norm. With all the defendant's problems, it's amazing she had the presence of mind to steal a fridge.

The guy trying to win the lottery because the (racist sexist) def attacked him? His whole case rested on the injuries from the assault, but well - he didn't bother bringing his evidence that would prove such a thing. Oh, and trying to steal the company's computer? Bad form, dude. 

Baffroom plumbing issues: The only thing interesting was plaintiff thought a contracting dispute should net him $2200 in pain and suffering. In your dreams. Poor JM, obviously not feeling well and having to listen to this nonsense.

• Love 4

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one skeptical of the defendant's cancer. When JM asked her what kind of treatment she had just started, she hesitated like she was thinking. With people breaking into her home, and her sister's husband being murdered, it kind of makes one wonder what kind of stuff they're into.

• Love 6

I guess I'm not "nice" either, because I didn't buy it. If I had a heart attack a few days ago (and have FOUR kids) appearing on the People's Court would be last on my list of priorities. And yeah, sister's hubby may have been murdered in prison, so her grief may be minimal, or maybe in their world such events aren't outside the norm. With all the defendant's problems, it's amazing she had the presence of mind to steal a fridge.

The guy trying to win the lottery because the (racist sexist) def attacked him? His whole case rested on the injuries from the assault, but well - he didn't bother bringing his evidence that would prove such a thing. Oh, and trying to steal the company's computer? Bad form, dude. 

Baffroom plumbing issues: The only thing interesting was plaintiff thought a contracting dispute should net him $2200 in pain and suffering. In your dreams. Poor JM, obviously not feeling well and having to listen to this nonsense.

It really felt like the first woman had to think for a second before she trotted out her list of alleged illnesses.  And the MI she miraculously remembered after the sister came out with the dead husband.  As if that somehow excuses her bad behavior.  I was waiting for MM to say she wouldn't believe her if her tongue came notarized, but it seems like a good sob story sometimes stops MM in her tracks.

The second guy was so lame that the defendant really didn't have to defend himself other than to say, "No, I didn't do it."  Dude brought his belligerent attitude with him and left his evidence at home.

MM clearly sounded like she had a cold. 

I have been an intermittent viewer since the Judge Wapner days, but I completely stopped watching a couple of years ago, and only just started up again with the new season.  It's no compliment to say that Harvey hasn't changed, and that the hallterviews still only merit a FF.   One huge problem with Harvey's questions is that they don't necessarily relate to the actual question in the court, but are, rather, loaded to force a particular (and controversial) answer.  He is a lawyer, after all. 

• Love 3

Today's second case, with the woman who stole the fridge and beat some rent payments ---- I know this isn't nice, but I am skeptical of the defendant's supposed diagnoses of cancer, heart disease, and a heart attack. I don't know what to say about the sister's murdered husband. His body wasn't cold yet, but she's looking put-together on the People's Court - not as a witness, but just along for the ride. (If it was a jailhouse 

I don't believe it and I don’t think MM believed it either.  She did not offer any condolences to the sister and summed up everything by saying:

“You [defendant] had a heart attack on Monday and you’re here. And [to the sister] your husband was murdered on Tuesday and you’re here.”

Sister: “his funeral’s on Saturday”

Judge “Wow”

Plus she looks very good for someone who had a heart attack less than a week ago. Everyone I have known personally has had to stay in the hospital for at least a few days.

• Love 2

Didn't she start off her testimony saying she had cancer and was getting radiation treatment?

It was later, when JM started to get suspicious and asked what kind of treatment she'd undergone that she said "radiation", after some casting around in her mind for a suitable reply. I think that's when JM stopped believing her. "You ladies are very resilient!" No kidding.

They have really brought in the crazies for the new season. I can't say I believe the two sisters' (?) stories... " Yeah, I have cancer...oh, and I just had a heart attack. I'm OK to be here for some ridiculous nonsense ! "

Yikes.

• Love 2

I have been an intermittent viewer since the Judge Wapner days, but I completely stopped watching a couple of years ago, and only just started up again with the new season.  It's no compliment to say that Harvey hasn't changed, and that the hallterviews still only merit a FF.   

I learned the hard way never to fast forward through the hallterviews, on any court shows. Some of the best moments I've seen on court shows have been during hallterviews. Harvey and Curt are both annoying, but I'm holding onto hope that one day someone is going to slug Curt for grabbing them and rubbing a courtroom defeat in their face. And I don't want to miss it when it happens.

I also like when they come out all full of rage and then walk the wrong way. They have to sheepishly turn around and go out the correct exit. I laugh every freaking time.

Clearly MM was feeling shitty so it put her in a bad mood. She seemed crankier than usual. She was definitely in no mood for scammers with no evidence looking for a big payday.

• Love 7

So, basically, there was this guy I was just dating even though we have a kid together... anyway, he attacks me with knives and 5-lb weights and nearly severed my jiggler but you know - I just love that man of mine!  A lot of other women want him too, and why not? He takes his pension money to buy a 14 year old car (so he can say he drives a Lexus) well, he bought half of it. I had to finance the other half. He can't have a cable bill in his name or buy his own running shoes but I'm happy to do that for him because, as I said, I just LOVE that man of mine, when I'm not in jail, that is.

Bitch who stiffed the worker who took care of her very elderly parents deserved a much worse spanking than she got. She pays herself for having the parents living with her, but refuses to pay the person who does all the dirty work. Disgusting.

• Love 6

So, basically, there was this guy I was just dating even though we have a kid together... anyway, he attacks me with knives and 5-lb weights and nearly severed my jiggler but you know - I just love that man of mine!  A lot of other women want him too, and why not? He takes his pension money to buy a 14 year old car (so he can say he drives a Lexus) well, he bought half of it. I had to finance the other half. He can't have a cable bill in his name or buy his own running shoes but I'm happy to do that for him because, as I said, I just LOVE that man of mine, when I'm not in jail, that is.

How did that train wreck end?  The episode airing in my area was interrupted to show the arrival of Pope Francis.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm just gobsmacked by the guy who can't even pay his own cable bill cashing out his 403b (with the associated tax penalty) to buy part of a car that he still couldn't afford.  And too stupid not to smirk when he's asked if he cheated on his GF.  So of course Harvey focuses on whether the guy's fidelity has anything to do with who should get the car, because that's the part that makes him salivate. 

And as an actual registered nurse, I get very irritated when people like Harvey refer to a home health aide as a nurse.  The defendant said the government would pay if she had put her parents in a nursing home, which would not be the case unless their assets were depleted, and if she's deducting the cost of their room, board, and care from their assets, they've still got assets.  Many people also assume Medicare pays for nursing home care, and it doesn't.

Does pre-judgment interest mean anything any more when interest rates are around 0.01%?

• Love 3

Yeah, I'm just gobsmacked by the guy who can't even pay his own cable bill cashing out his 403b (with the associated tax penalty) to buy part of a car that he still couldn't afford.  And too stupid not to smirk when he's asked if he cheated on his GF.  So of course Harvey focuses on whether the guy's fidelity has anything to do with who should get the car, because that's the part that makes him salivate. 

And as an actual registered nurse, I get very irritated when people like Harvey refer to a home health aide as a nurse.  The defendant said the government would pay if she had put her parents in a nursing home, which would not be the case unless their assets were depleted, and if she's deducting the cost of their room, board, and care from their assets, they've still got assets.  Many people also assume Medicare pays for nursing home care, and it doesn't.

Does pre-judgment interest mean anything any more when interest rates are around 0.01%?

I believe it was NY and the judgment interest rate here is a jaw dropping 9 percent.

I believe it was NY and the judgment interest rate here is a jaw dropping 9 percent.

I wonder if the intent was to penalize people who lose when in general losers are not required to cover the winners costs?

Edited by DoctorK

I just love a good medical malapropism.

Jiggler has just replaced 'very close veins' in my brain.

I guess we are all medically ignorant at some time. I was 17 when I started working in a hospital and thought for a long time that hemorrhoids at 2 and 9 o'clock meant they came and went during the day.

• Love 5

Bitch who stiffed the worker who took care of her very elderly parents deserved a much worse spanking than she got. She pays herself for having the parents living with her, but refuses to pay the person who does all the dirty work. Disgusting.

That nasty bitch should be glad MM had a bad cold.  Something tells me if she had been feeling better,  a serious smackdown would have ensued.    I could feel the blood pounding in my jiggler just listening to bitch tap dancing around the fact that she just didn't want to part with the money.  Estranged from the rest of the family?  Well, there's a surprise.

How dare you stiff the poor woman that wipes your parents asses and deals with all manner of unpleasantness?  Plaintiff seemed like she was probably very kind & caring.  Alzheimer's ain't no walk in the park. Why do I get the feeling Adult Protective ought to drop by?    

• Love 4

She seemed to think that because the bill was tendered when the former financial person was in charge, that the former financial person was responsible to pay the bill.  She refused to recognize that the money was coming out of the same bank account, regardless of WHO wrote the check.  The person who shouldn't have gotten stiffed was the caregiver.  Good for MM for awarding her more than she asked for.  

• Love 5

I can't believe it! Just saw the beginning of the case with what looks like the most entertainingly awful defendant in history and the station cuts away for live coverage of self congratulatory speeches about Carnival Cruise coming back to Mobile. OK, breaking news, give us a 2 minute bulletin, but this looks like it will drone on until everybody from the mayor down to dogcatcher gets to bloviate.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 2

The defendant in today's first has to be one of the bigger fools to ever step foot in the courtroom. Did that trash really think she could tell JM that she could yell at her? Really? I'm surprised JM was so calm, but I knew she was getting thrown out. 

• Love 6

How dare you stiff the poor woman that wipes your parents asses and deals with all manner of unpleasantness?  Plaintiff seemed like she was probably very kind & caring.  Alzheimer's ain't no walk in the park.

Exactly. Bitch pays herself 800$/mnth for allowing her parents to live in her home (easy to see why she didn't want them in a nursing home) and won't pay the person who gets down and dirty with them. Anyway, I bet her siblings enjoyed seeing her make a complete fool of herself, the shameless tart.

• Love 4

In today's first case, with the argument about the reddio --- first of all, the plaintiff's daughter was adorable. And the mother seemed mild-mannered, so God help them having to live near that egotistical clown of a defendant.

What was the item the plaintiff bought at the friend's store that 'is not the defendant's business'? Weed, a fake ID, a commode, tampons?

And the overly amped-up defendant was just released from the hospital the night before? Wow, I didn't expect another BS healthcare excuse so soon after cancer/heart attack/murdered bro-in-law. When the defendant was talking up Nikki Minaj, Douglas clearly wanted to bust out laughing. And then I had a laugh when they kept showing the empty defendant's stand after the def sauntered out while petting her hair extensions.

• Love 4

In today's first case, with the argument about the reddio --- first of all, the plaintiff's daughter was adorable. And the mother seemed mild-mannered, so God help them having to live near that egotistical clown of a defendant.

I have a bad feeling that things are going to escalate in that building and bad things may happen to the plaintiff and her daughter.

• Love 5

That woman walked in with a chip on her shoulder, you could see it in the way she walked in.  Too bad Douglas didn't take her out to the woodshed.

MM really did a good job of keeping her cool, I would have kicked her after the first five minutes.  MM should have given the plaintiff more than she was asking for.

• Love 5

i haven't gotten around to watching yesterday's cases, but todays - omg. The POS criminal plaintiff, who, when asked what he was on probation for, rolls his eyes and huffs out an "Oh, boy", like "Where do I start?" He's a healthy looking adult who is on welfare and gets food stamps. The def,  the Queen of Hearts, who is his cherished Baby Momma, thinks getting knocked up by him is just a great idea. She doesn't even know which of his many crimes/probation got his ass back in the slammer, but who cares? When you're that desperate you don't get picky, right?

I had to stop there because I just couldn't take it anymore.  I'll finish it tonight when I haven't just eaten.

• Love 6

i haven't gotten around to watching yesterday's cases, but todays - omg. The POS criminal plaintiff, who, when asked what he was on probation for, rolls his eyes and huffs out an "Oh, boy", like "Where do I start?" He's a healthy looking adult who is on welfare and gets food stamps. The def,  the Queen of Hearts, who is his cherished Baby Momma, thinks getting knocked up by him is just a great idea. She doesn't even know which of his many crimes/probation got his ass back in the slammer, but who cares? When you're that desperate you don't get picky, right?

I had to stop there because I just couldn't take it anymore.  I'll finish it tonight when I haven't just eaten.

Yeah, he was a disgusting piece of shit who ought to be surgically altered to prevent him for spawning.

• Love 1

The sisters fighting over the nursing home's settlement check --- I don't think the defendant should have been boasting about spending money on things for her mother....the mother had NO TEETH and was wearing a nightgown/housecoat. And the baby girl barrettes? Come on. (I'm not quick to believe the def. when she states that her mother is the "most smartest.") And the def. daughter didn't do a good job of hiding her stolen funds, with her giant boobs/butt squeezed into tiny clothes for everyone to see. And I think she was wearing a waist trainer. (She couldn't have taken an extra $5 for some new eyeshadow?) Her husband was a real shit, announcing the plaintiff's bipolar condition, saying it like it was an insult -- while she was the only person who seemed to have her head on her shoulders.  I also thought it was sweet when she said something nice about her husband in the hallterview.  Sure, maybe it was a bit passive-aggressive since the def's husband was thrown out, but that's okay with me.

In this case, JMM yelled at someone for interrupting her thought....not her usual scolding of someone who interrupts her spoken sentences -- this time, it was her thoughts.

• Love 4

The sisters fighting over the nursing home's settlement check

I just watched this and I'm aghast - aghast, I tell you! Yes, def with 30K of fake boobs/tan/ass and glittery eyeshadow/fake eyelashes is the very definition of "trash". And - Throw Momma from the Courtroom! OMG, she gave me a brain freeze. The toothlessness, the plastic flowers in her hair, the yelling and shouting out. POS defendant's POS hubby? What an utter trainwreck. I think JM was on the verge of pulling out a gun and shooting herself in the head.  

The pansy-assed "actor" who didn't like the "hostile environment" in which he was living? Better toughen up there, boy. Acting is not for the faint of heart.

Lady who wanted all her money back for the furniture because the broken bed aggravated her spinal problem - does she have proof of that? Well, actually, no, but I'm sure she's telling the truth. Give her every last penny back and let her keep the furniture anyway so it's all free! Umm... not today, okay?

Loved how that fucking slimebucket Levin kept spewing stupidity as the case was beginning, talking right over JM's exchange with Douglas. I wanted to hear what they were saying, but I guess Levin is sure that we prefer to listen to his high-pitched screeching of moronic, ignorant jokes. Can someone who lives near there go join his brain dead peanut gallery and kick him right in the ass for me?

• Love 3

I wonder if the intent was to penalize people who lose when in general losers are not required to cover the winners costs?

The intent is to make the plaintiff whole. Defendants in small claims cases are ordered to pay filing fees of the plaintiff. The theory is that the plaintiff could have been earning interest on the money from the date of the loss had the defendant not done the "bad thing."

• Love 3

I don't understand why the plaintiff lost that case today with regard to the father dying.  I used to work for an attorney and if the money was supposed to  be split, we'd make out the checks to each person..never trust one person to dole out the money.

I believe she pissed that money away on fake boobs and a bmw.   Ugh...there was definitely something wrong with the mother.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 1

I don't understand why the plaintiff lost that case today with regard to the father dying.

From what I understood, the mother had the right to give the money to anyone she wanted to, unless she's mentally incompetant. I'd say she is and that trash daughter manipulated her, but the plaintiff had no evidence or report from a doctor saying Momma is not competant to manage her affairs. Therefore plaintiff couldn't win.

• Love 3

Why was the plaintiff no longer able to file another lawsuit if her mother is proven to be incompetent?  MM said that the brother would have to file because the plaintiff had used her chance.

Because you only get one bite of the apple. The plaintiff already sued her sister over this issue. The plaintiff can't now go out and gather evidence and come back. The brother, on the other hand, has not yet sued. He now knows he should have evidence of his mother's incompetence before he files against the sister.

• Love 3

My mother is 74 and looks amazing and has more energy than I do. Seriously we went on vacation recently, and she wore me out. So when I see a 72-year-old woman who looks that way it makes me sad. I understand she has health issues, but she did not look good at all. No teeth, smacking her lips together to make that awful sound, sitting there in her nightgown? It doesn't look like anyone is taking care or her at all. I'd have pegged her for at least a decade older than my mom, and probably more.

The defendant has managed to manipulate the mother and seems to be just waiting for her to die so she can collect more money and waste it on more bullshit. She blew up her relationship with her siblings for plastic surgery and a BMW? She was vile; her husband was vile; the mother was vile too. If she's mentally competent, she should be able to control herself in a courtroom.

I'm generally not an advocate of disowning one's family, but I think the plaintiff should do just that. She has to be better off without them. It sounds like there's a bother who has already figured that out.

Then we get the thin-skinned actor who sleeps on a bare mattress to save money on sheets. I can't even with these litigants today. I can't imagine sleeping on a new mattress without sheets, much less a used one. Gross.

• Love 5

The reason the Judge didn't do that is that the plaintiff really lost. Besides being inconvenienced a little, she wasn't damaged.  They eventually took her home.  She blew it all up about the weather and the possibility she could have been murdered or raped, but she wasn't hurt by their actions.  JM was trying to get her to take what the cab company was offering because she was going to rule against her because it was a pretty frivolous lawsuit.  Every annoyance a person suffers is not a payday. 

What annoyed me most about her was the way she carried on about what could have happened to her, all the while implying that she had been abandoned and left to fend for herself while being woozy from sedation and all alone.  Then we find out that she had a male companion with her!  I'm not sure why that part of the story was glossed over.  She certainly wasn't as helpless as she was saying, and she was no sitting duck for rape or murder or whatever else she blathered on about.   Her story would have carried much more weight with me if she had really been left to fend for herself all by herself in impaired condition.

Yes, what happened wasn't ideal, but she certainly wasn't in grave danger.  That was way too dramatic for me, and I'm a pretty dramatic gal!

• Love 4

What annoyed me most about her was the way she carried on about what could have happened to her, all the while implying that she had been abandoned and left to fend for herself while being woozy from sedation and all alone.  Then we find out that she had a male companion with her!  I'm not sure why that part of the story was glossed over.  She certainly wasn't as helpless as she was saying, and she was no sitting duck for rape or murder or whatever else she blathered on about.   Her story would have carried much more weight with me if she had really been left to fend for herself all by herself in impaired condition.

Yes, what happened wasn't ideal, but she certainly wasn't in grave danger.  That was way too dramatic for me, and I'm a pretty dramatic gal!

That case was interesting, because there's no way in hell imma get in a taxi and in -17 degree weather you drop me off anywhere but my home.  I'm not getting out of the taxi. So. Yeah. Call the cops and get your life.

• Love 3

When Curt tentatively approached the mother in the hallterview, she responded to his questions like it was all a big joke. She practically said I"DGAF, they fight all the time hahaha, they're fine, is it lunchtime yet?"

My mother is 74 and looks amazing and has more energy than I do. Seriously we went on vacation recently, and she wore me out. So when I see a 72-year-old woman who looks that way it makes me sad. I understand she has health issues, but she did not look good at all. No teeth, smacking her lips together to make that awful sound, sitting there in her nightgown? It doesn't look like anyone is taking care or her at all. I'd have pegged her for at least a decade older than my mom, and probably more.

Right?! Seventy-two doesn't have to look like that, and if it does - God help me. No teeth, no appropriate clothing, "special" hair ---there's no way the def actively cares for that woman. And her nutty appearance could, in part, point to the mother's incompetence (i.e., lack of self-care), but some people of all ages live like slobs with no pride in their personal appearance, so who knows.  I'm still voting that the mother was out there.....even with her verbal outbursts in court, she didn't comprehend the gravity of the situation.

• Love 3

Then we get the thin-skinned actor who sleeps on a bare mattress to save money on sheets.

For once I was so relieved that the landlord had before and after pictures of the mattress so we could see how that jerk had really grunged up the mattress, even with a picture takee from across the room. I did like the hallterview where when asked what he does for a living, he said "actor", then Douglas followed up with "No really, what do you do to pay your bills?" He was all dressed up but I suspect that I would want to be upwind from him at all times.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 1