Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Loved MM calling out the firefighter that lost his position. You can tell he's a "my way or the highway" type. He seems incapable of seeing the big picture. Not a good trait for that job.

• Love 2

Loved MM calling out the firefighter that lost his position.

"I don't know if I'd want you fighting a fire." Yeah, I liked her doing that too. His attitude makes you wonder if, at a fire, a victim he was trying to rescue said something he didn't like if he'd  say, "Fine. Save yourself then." and storm off in a huff to consult his lawyer.

As usual, MM wasted her good advice. We saw in the hall he disregarded it, still feeling he did nothing at all wrong.

• Love 2

I laugh every time when Douglas says "Be seated", then pirouettes to turn back to the judge.  :D

I also laugh that his name is Douglas.  Not Doug, Dougie or even D.  It's Douglas. 

My friend has a cat named Charles.  Sometimes I slip and call him Charlie.  She gets miffed that I am not calling him by his "Christian name - Charles". 

I really need to get new friends.

I also laugh that his name is Douglas.  Not Doug, Dougie or even D.  It's Douglas. 

My friend has a cat named Charles.  Sometimes I slip and call him Charlie.  She gets miffed that I am not calling him by his "Christian name - Charles". 

I really need to get new friends.

The flipside of that applies for me. I hate, hate, hate when people give me nicknames. My name doesn't naturally shorten to anything, anyway, but it really bothers me when people call me something I didn't ask to be called.

My father has a nickname for me, as is his right since he's my dad. One of my coworkers heard him call me it at a corporate function he attended with me. The next thing I knew, all these people I didn't even like had taken to calling me by my father's nickname for me! Grrr.

• Love 4

I love when litigants underestimate MM, if only because I get to see her temper flare up, which is always a joy for me. The plaintiff in the tree sap vs. awning case yesterday did such a thing. Did he really think MM wouldn't know what storm damage looked like and would attribute his torn-up awning to tree sap?

I agree with MM. I can't imagine feuding with my next-door neighbor. I get enough stress and drama at work; I sure as hell don't want it when I'm finally in the comfort of my home. The defendant thinks she shouldn't move since she was there first. If I were her, I'd move anyway, if it were feasible. Living next to that litigious asshole is only going to bring her more grief. Your home should be a solace.

• Love 1

The flipside of that applies for me. I hate, hate, hate when people give me nicknames. My name doesn't naturally shorten to anything, anyway, but it really bothers me when people call me something I didn't ask to be called.

My father has a nickname for me, as is his right since he's my dad. One of my coworkers heard him call me it at a corporate function he attended with me. The next thing I knew, all these people I didn't even like had taken to calling me by my father's nickname for me! Grrr.

You're absolutely right.  And in my case I really don't like anyone except close family calling me Angie.  I prefer to be addressed as Angela to everyone else.  It's just that 'Douglas' sounds so formal.  To me at least. 

And Charles sounds formal too, but he's a scrawny cat with no sense of royalty whatsoever.  He's is cute - that's probably why I called him Charlie. 

And I just thought of something - Douglas is cute too....maybe that's why I find the formal 'Douglas' not matching him.  Definitely a Doug.

I love when litigants underestimate MM, if only because I get to see her temper flare up, which is always a joy for me.

I love it too. This one was pretty good, even if not as good as when someone whites or crops something out (badly) of a document and thinks she's too stupid to notice.

Mr. Tree Sap is one of those total pain in the ass people, who can hound neighbours into the ground. Can't he just cut the damned branches overhanging his property? Why does everyone think all of life's minor annoyances are court cases?

• Love 1

Oh man, Green Cadillac Rodney vs. the tow company greasers. 

When he saw the photo of his booted tire (sans beloved rim), Rodney nearly imploded.  Douglas was right next to him to hold the photo/keep the peace, but he was busy trying to disguise his laugh (can't blame ya, D). 

Then, the hallterview.  Rodney was so stunned, his mind couldn't even process what just happened.  Curt the Dirt had to relay the verdict to him. I stared at the screen, waiting for Rodney to burst into tears.  He had his handkerchief ready, but he hadn't transitioned his mood from shock to sadness yet.

Then the tow dicks hammed it up in the hallterview, practically laughing in Rodney's face. Sure, the guy may have been missing the practically meaningless apartment complex sticker, but the tower inflated the situation, admitted the mistake, and then played "no backsies."

• Love 2
(edited)

I bet if Rodney had pawned his bling, he could have come up with the money to bail his Caddy out of car jail. I guess we'll never know what really happened to it. Poor rimless Caddy.:(

Curt the Dirt

I like!

Edited by AngelaHunter

I'm surprised Curt didn't get punched in the face today when he interviewed the landlord in the last case. Personally, I don't think you should nickel and dime a tenant you had for 17 years who always paid on time. But Curt asking the landlord if he's not just another "greedy landlord" made me hopeful he'd finally get a punch in the face.

Asshole Harvey managed to sneak in a "black her he hardly knew her" line too. Bastard.

• Love 5

An apartment with the same tenant for 17 years? Even if she meticulously cleaned every day, the apartment is going to need a complete turnover when she moves out. As in, it should have a full paint and carpet/flooring job as a minimum, and probably an appliance and bath swap out as well just to bring it up to modern spec. He should have just given it all back to her and thanked her for being such a good tenant for all those years. 

The granite countertops was quite the case. Not sure I really cared for either side, but for the most part I think I sided with the ladies a bit more than the Flipper. I was worried JMM couldn't see the grain in the sample that was obvious on the TV screen at first, but she quickly clued in on it.  That said, cutting the backsplash short (or installing it short) was the company's fault. The bathroom... meh she probably should have noticed that colour change and tried to get a better angle on it, but whatever. From the sounds of it, the Flipper was from the Montenagro school of house flipping and trying to do things at the 'last minute' like the A&E and TLC shows always do to manufacture 'drah-ma!', and it bit him in the ass. He should IMO have been penalized for that attitude as it was.

The first case with the car spoiler, I didn't pay much attention to. I even had to restart the recording to remind myself what was at the start and still promptly forgot it. 

• Love 3

From the sounds of it, the Flipper was from the Montenagro school of house flipping and trying to do things at the 'last minute' like the A&E and TLC shows always do to manufacture 'drah-ma!', and it bit him in the ass.

Haha, yah. Too many people watching TeeVee shows and getting big ideas.

What about the ungrateful home-schooling squatter the other day? I can't remember when JM despised a  litigant the way she did this one. Def (way too kind) let her squat in his house rent-free long enough that she could save up and "rent-to-own" her own home. JM has a particular and special hatred of entitled parasites and squatters (she may have had personal experience with them) and I thought she was going to get off the bench to personally slap this one's face.

Sure, she paid her rent every single month and has evidence of that, but "it's not with me today."  The woman was shameless.

I'm surprised Curt didn't get punched in the face today

I swear, if that creep grabbed me with his "Stand here!" command, I think I'd punch him in the throat. Or mace him. 

• Love 1

Speaking of getting off the bench, I was surprised at how eager she was to get off the bench in the Countertop case. She was running all over the court room in that one! 

I think she really loves any cases dealing with home improvement, and she just got too eager to check out the marble samples and such this time. :)

• Love 2
(edited)

I swear, if that creep grabbed me with his "Stand here!" command, I think I'd punch him in the throat. Or mace him. 

Mr. Stand-Right-Here's posture is so straight he must have taken the home correspondence course to the Chet Huntley/David Brinkley School of Journalism majoring in Perfect Posture.

For all those whippersnappers out there Huntley/Brinkley was a famous news anchor team a century or two ago.

And while I'm on the subject - he doesn't move his neck either.  He turns like Herman Munster. 

Edited by PsychoKlown

That's because he doesn't have one, hence my nickname for him -  "No-Neck AssClown".

Yes...yes, yes yes. 

I could never figure out why he moved like that.  You're absolutely right.  He doesn't have a neck.  He can't turn his neck - it's more of pivot turn. 

I can now enjoy the weekend because one of my life's mysteries has been solved.  Thank you Angela. 

Case where the woman sued her ex over a phone and other stuff, the guy in the hallterview said this was the second time she's taken him to court and he was going to have to go back to court for another case involving her.  But Curt never followed up on that when he interviewed the woman.  Cmon, I wanted details!

The guy also said the woman had sued her mother in another case.

• Love 1

Case where the woman sued her ex over a phone and other stuff,

That was some love triangle. Judge M's contempt and disgust with women who will shower of money and/or gifts on any bozo who looks at them twice has reached epic proportions, as well it should. 

It was interesting to see the defendant truly does have a "type."

I should have listened to the hallterview I guess. Sounded like fun.

I wish MM would take JJ's stance and just stop hearing cell phone cases. They're right at the bottom of the pile with dog bite cases. It's almost always some stupid woman who thinks having her man on a cell phone plan will allow her to keep track of his whereabouts. This defendant was also suing about internet service in their home. If he didn't have it when you moved in and didn't have it after you left, then the internet service was just for you. 

Yesterday's most interesting case for me was the copy editing case. Copy editing is my side job, so I perked up when I found out TPC was going to have a case about it. I could sympathize with the editor; I've been asked to edit things only to find them completely unreadable and incomprehensible. Of course, when that happens I promptly offer a full refund and my sincere apologies. For this guy to take the writer's money and only do a portion of the job was completely out of line. And the plaintiff and MM were right: the next copy editor isn't just going to pick up where he left off. I was glad the plaintiff got all of her money back.

I also loved how in his statement he made a comment about Ebonics but hemmed and hawed when he had a chance to make the same comment in open court. He was a pompous asshole. 

• Love 1

I also loved how in his statement he made a comment about Ebonics but hemmed and hawed when he had a chance to make the same comment in open court. He was a pompous asshole.

I thought the case was very interesting, too.   The defendant had a really weird, creepy demeanor and I don't think I would have hired him in the first place.  He was just "off" and I couldn't quite pinpoint it.

What kind of lack of self-pride do these women have to admit their desperation on national TV?  It's one thing to act a wee foolish when the loins are on fire, but to let the whole world know is just nuts.  And it's always for little bits of money!

• Love 2

I've been asked to edit things only to find them completely unreadable and incomprehensible. Of course, when that happens I promptly offer a full refund and my sincere apologies.

Totally. Can't keep the money and not do the job. He should have read it all over first and said he couldn't do it, not started it and then stopped halfway through.

I did enjoy this case. It was a nice change to not hear the words, "Jail, bail, keyed my car, cell phone, warrants, altercation, Sec.8,  restraining order" etc. for once.

Was it yesterday we saw the woman who bought a thirteen year old beater car with over 100K miles on it, then wanted the whole 600$ it cost her when it caught on fire? She signed a contract with block letters 2 inches high saying "AS IS", but like everyone else we see here, she thought the contract was a joke or that "As is" doesn't apply to her. Oh, and she just could NOT STFU.

If you want a reliable car, $600 will rarely buy you that.

Totally. Can't keep the money and not do the job. He should have read it all over first and said he couldn't do it, not started it and then stopped halfway through.

I did enjoy this case. It was a nice change to not hear the words, "Jail, bail, keyed my car, cell phone, warrants, altercation, Sec.8,  restraining order" etc. for once.

Was it yesterday we saw the woman who bought a thirteen year old beater car with over 100K miles on it, then wanted the whole 600$ it cost her when it caught on fire? She signed a contract with block letters 2 inches high saying "AS IS", but like everyone else we see here, she thought the contract was a joke or that "As is" doesn't apply to her. Oh, and she just could NOT STFU.

If you want a reliable car, $600 will rarely buy you that.

I didn't see that case yesterday. I get two airings a day in my market. Right now, one is new, and other is a few weeks old. I wonder if you caught an old episode.

• Love 1

I did wonder why a writing teacher needed a copy editor.

Maybe for the same reason we once heard a litigant on this show say, "I'm a English teacher."  JM tactfully corrected her, but that fell on deaf ears.

I'd have to watch again to be positive, but I thought I caught at least one instance of bad grammar from the writing teacher.

We may as well get used to it. Anyone who enjoys proper English is now jeered at as a "Grammar nazi."  I'm sure I make my share of errors, but I'm not a English teacher or a writing teacher passing on my poor writing skills to kids.

"Idiocracy", here we come.

• Love 3
(edited)

"Idiocracy", here we come.

My weird sense of ironic grammar humor requires that I point out that the comma should be inside of the quotation mark.  ;-)

Signed,

An Accused "Grammar Nazi"

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 1

My weird sense of ironic grammar humor requires that I point out that the comma should be inside of the quotation mark.

Yes, I know! Ha! It's an unwritten rule that anyone criticizing the grammar or punctuation of another MUST make an error in that criticism, even if it's of the typo variety. As you can see, I stick to the rules.

I probably made another boo boo somewhere here.:p

• Love 1

As a former copy editor myself, I did wonder why a writing teacher needed a copy editor.

I would say it is a great idea to have someone else edit your work. A pair of fresh eyes is vital to see the mistakes and whatnot that you will just glaze over from being so familiar with it.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wish MM would take JJ's stance and just stop hearing cell phone cases. They're right at the bottom of the pile with dog bite cases. It's almost always some stupid woman who thinks having her man on a cell phone plan will allow her to keep track of his whereabouts. This defendant was also suing about internet service in their home. If he didn't have it when you moved in and didn't have it after you left, then the internet service was just for you. 

Yesterday's most interesting case for me was the copy editing case. Copy editing is my side job, so I perked up when I found out TPC was going to have a case about it. I could sympathize with the editor; I've been asked to edit things only to find them completely unreadable and incomprehensible. Of course, when that happens I promptly offer a full refund and my sincere apologies. For this guy to take the writer's money and only do a portion of the job was completely out of line. And the plaintiff and MM were right: the next copy editor isn't just going to pick up where he left off. I was glad the plaintiff got all of her money back.

Copy editing?  I can't wait to watch this!  I'm a former copy editor too!  Sounds like the freelance job my friend used to have editing books for a self-publishing house.  There was no help for such crap.  They need more than copy editing.  She gave it up very quickly--it was impossible.

I already saw the cell-phone case.  I agree they should stop taking phone cases (and dog-bite cases--I hate dog-bite cases more).  But if you haven't erased the ep, take a look at the father's expression when MM asks him what he thought of his daughter's choices.  Priceless parental resignation.

I would say it is a great idea to have someone else edit your work. A pair of fresh eyes is vital to see the mistakes and whatnot that you will just glaze over from being so familiar with it.

Yes, this is absolutely correct.  When I worked in magazines, we had at least ten people copy editing and proofreading every issue at least three times in various stages.  This is the only way to prevent typos and other mistakes.  Human error is very hard to eradicate.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1

Boat lift: Allegations of abuse surfaced when MM asked about the marriage breakup. Plaintiff didn't answer, looked down and explained she was checking the bruises on her arm def. had inflicted on her. She said police had been called in the past. Def said police were never called and denied everything she said, including her claim that he threw her against a wall during the boat kerfuffle.

MM couldn't take the crazy anymore and awarded plaintiff 500$ instead of the ridiculously bloated figure she had requested, including 300$ for the strip of rubber used as a bumper on the dock. .

• Love 1

In today's generator repair case, I saw something that seems to be showing up more often, the "I am old so I must be right" defense (although in this case it was technically an offense). Coupled with the Sainted Single Motherhood defense, how long before somebody wins with "I am a 73 year old single mother so I must win".

• Love 2

Today's laughable litigants on People's Court.

The plaintiff was suing the defendant because the plaintiff had allowed the defendant to claim the plaintiff's child on her income taxes so the defendant would get a bigger refund. Yes, when you get "Head of Household" and all the other credits for being an unwed mother, the payoffs are excellent. In exchange, they would split the refund. The defendant did not pay up. The plaintiff sued.

In our country, we have a legal doctrine called "the law of clean hands." You cannot sue because an illegal activity didn't pay off. When the judge informed the plaintiff that she was breaking the law and was not going to get one penny from the defendant, the plaintiff actually looked at the judge and said . . .

. . . wait for it . . .

. . . this is classic . . .

But, Your Honor, what about my PAIN AND SUFFERING?

(Folks, I can't make this stuff up.)

• Love 8

That was one of those rare cases which I wished Judge Judy had heard in instead. MM handled it well, but they both deserved the wrath of JJ, who would have been much nastier to them.

People cheat on their taxes all the time, but to be stupid enough to go on a national TV show to sue over it is insane. If the plaintiff got burned on the deal, she should have just cut her losses and moved on. She called the cops too? Hilarious.

The boyfriend was still arguing the case with jackass hallway man. He clearly still didn't understand what MM patiently explained. I feel for their children, who have two morons as parents.

• Love 2

The case of the woman suing another woman for return of her engagement ring.  

What what what was wrong with the jilted woman?

She had no lips - they looked like they were surgically removed and replaced with lips with no pigment.  

And she was having some sort of seizure or Tourette's in the hallway. She zoned out and said 'GRIMY' in the middle of her conversation and then did it again 'GRIMY' I thought Tourette's but her eyes went dead so I was thinking petit mal.

Anyone know?

She and the other lady knew each other only weeks before getting engaged - I think her fiance saw really bizarre behaviour and bailed. 

She had no lips - they looked like they were surgically removed and replaced with lips with no pigment.

OH god. That freaked me out big time. They didn't even look like human lips, but like some sort of pale worms grafted on there. :(

• Love 1

I was thinking the beginning of vitaligo. I was almost forced to turn away from this case. I could barely understand either one of them.

"I seent her round the neighborhood so I axed her to be engaged to me"

Yeah, that's the foundation for every fairy tale.

• Love 1

I was almost forced to turn away from this case. I could barely understand either one of them.

I know. They were all but incoherent and this is something that is epidemic on these court shows. JM has told a couple of litigants she simply couldn't understand them, due to their horrific grammar. I don't get it, but it's very sad and alarming. Is future communication going to be reduced to grunts, text-speak and hand gestures?

You're lucky you didn't see Judge Judy today.

That was one of those rare cases which I wished Judge Judy had heard in instead. MM handled it well, but they both deserved the wrath of JJ, who would have been much nastier to them.

GAAAAA!! I had to come on here and see what y'all had to say! What a couple of cheating idiots! I would have loved to see JJ talk about how the IRS watches her show and goes after people. 

BUT WHAT ABOUT MY PAIN AND SUFFERING??????!?!?!?!?! "GET OUT OF MY COURTROOM, WOMAN!!!"

• Love 2