Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Eight Cats and the Hat Show

paulvdb

Christy is blindsided by a surprising offer from her boyfriend, Patrick. Also, Bonnie struggles to be the stable one in her relationship after Adam experiences a devastating loss.

I am SO glad they didn't show Samson dying onscreen. I could handle hearing right at the beginning that it happened 3 weeks ago and that it was peaceful, so I could enjoy the puppy properly. And he was ADORABLE! I'm also glad that they were realistic with Adam's grief, that he was still grieving weeks later. A new puppy does elicit a lot of conflicting feelings. And bonus ---- Gus was a RESCUE puppy!

• Love 19
(edited)

Bonnie was a c--- in this episode. I hated how dismissive she was about his grief at the loss of his beloved dog. My "once in a lifetime" dog had been gone for seven years (he was 15 when I had to put him down), and I still can't bring myself to "replace" him.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4

This episode was much funnier than the previous ones this season.  I'd been rewatching this show from the beginning, and was sad to note the decline in quality near the end of last season and most of this season.  Next week's episode looks great too - I think focusing on the destruction Bonnie has created throughout her life has a lot of comedic potential.  Jill is usually one of the more interesting characters, so its good to have her back (and hopefully all went well with the actresses' pregnancy and babies).

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Bonnie was a c--- in this episode. I hated how dismissive she was about his grief at the loss of his beloved dog. My "once in a lifetime" dog had been gone for seven years (he was 15 when I had to put him down), and I still can't bring myself to "replace" him.

Totally agree and I understand how you feel about your sweet dog. 

I haven't watched Mom in a long time and I was appalled at how they handled this.

My 14 year old Pom is doing fine for the most part, but def having older dog issues.  This is something very much in my mind and any talk of a dog passing and I'm a mess.  I can't stand to see someone insulted or made fun of because they're grieving over the death of a pet.

TBS, our family motto is not to replace a beloved dog, but to honor them by adopting another rescue. My dad had to put his dog to sleep and we went to the Humane Society and found another white male poodle the same day. My dad was alone as my mom had died and I knew he was going to need another dog. Michael was just sitting there like it was meant to be.  It made me believe for a minute angels do exist. 

I got my Teddy a week after my Yorkie Isabelle died.  Coming home to an empty apt was just too much to bear.  And Ted was very traumatized by being surrendered, they couldn't even put him out on the floor until that day he was shaking and terrified they kept him in the director's office for three days.  The minute I saw his photo on the humane society web site I couldn't get there fast enough. 

• Love 1

Bonnie was an idiot to bring home a puppy without even discussing it with Adam first, and in general I'm sick of TV shows and movies sending the message that surprising someone with a pet usually ends well.

That said, she had reason to be concerned that Adam was taking his dog's death unusually badly. Grieving for several weeks (or longer) is perfectly normal. Not showering or changing his shirt for more than three weeks is a really, really bad sign. She should have been urging him to go to therapy, instead of just acting like he was a weirdo - but I guess there's only so much empathy we can expect from her.

• Love 7

I'm a dog lover myself but I'm willing to give Bonnie a little slack, because clearly she's not a dog person and has maybe never had a dog, so she just doesn't get it. Believe me - I get it. But I also understand that people who don't have pets just don't get it. 

Plus, she may end up being a dog person, seeing the way she was treating that puppy, which was just as cute as can be. The raincoat was adorable. 

I barely remember Adam having a dog to be honest. I'm glad his death happened off screen.

• Love 6

Well, I've lost pets so I know how much it can hurt. But I've also experienced massive grief by others to a degree that I felt the urge to just drop a puppy in front of their door, ring the bell and run away.

I think they did a good job handling the plot. Bonnie wasn't forcing the puppy on Adam but accepted his initial refusal to bond and that made all the difference. 

I loved Wendy's 'They're my Will & Kate' - that was great. '

• Love 9
(edited)

I grieve animals deeply, and actually found Bonnie's growth in this episode heartwarming. Mimi Kennedy kept posting teasers on FB saying "Who gets the dog?" and I was positive it was going to be Jill, to help her get outside herself and care for another. I kind of dug that she did that, but via shopping -- old school, while Bonnie bonded with the dog. I think Gus will be really good for her too. 

Speaking of Gus. I'm going to real therapy now, but TV helps me a lot, and I've had this alcoholic-lady trifecta going on via "Mom," "Jessica Jones," and "Love." I stretched out the final season of the last one as long as I could and had to say goodbye to it last night. So I think it's funny that one of the main character's names from "Love" has been absorbed by "Mom!" :-D 

I was very happy to see Jill get her 30-day chip <3 Her relapse storyline was great, but I want her to get better. Yes, I know these people are fictional. Kind of.

ETA Agreed with 60sgirl. I'd love to see Patrick back as Adam's brother, but want someone for Christy who appreciates her outlet-mall-loving quirky self, just the way she is. 

Edited by Judi Sunshine
  • Love 3
(edited)

Gus.  Love the name.  Ha ha.

That puppy was cute. 

I'm of the school where you get a new dog pretty soon after you lose the last one.  It gives you a new "leash" on life to see the youngster running around like the old one used to in the distant past.   But I understand people who are not ready.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 3

I am not an animal person. I've had pets that I've cared about, and I have great affection, even love, for a dog that came into the family a few years ago. But I did not grow up with pets and I am not a person who values animal life over human life. Obviously it depends on the animal and the human, but you know what I mean. So I totally get where Bonnie was coming from in this episode. It was a great episode as it showed how animal lovers and non-animal lovers can meet in the middle. Good growth from Bonnie with regard to being there for a loved one.

Sucks about Patrick and Christy, but I am glad that she figured out that she obviously does not love him enough if she is not willing to move a few hours away to be with him.

• Love 5

I will also cut Bonnie some slack, she just wanted Adam to feel better and she thought that was the way.  The puppy was adorable, hope they feature it in future episodes.  So glad Christy and Patrick are done, never liked him for her.  Agree with a poster above who said no chemistry between them.  

• Love 1

When my last dog passed I said I was going to wait a long time to get another dog, I just wasn't ready.  My cat, however, disagreed.   He cried for hours every night until I brought him another dog.  I totally dropped a puppy in his lap... well, a 2 year old rescue dog who had a history of LOVING cats...  Best decision I ever made.   No, seriously.   2 solid weeks of a cat crying for hours on end every night.

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Christy didn't even mention staying local because of her son being here. I guess the show is officially pretending she's not one of the title characters, and the only Mom is Bonnie.

I don't miss Violet, but I do miss Baxter and Rosco (and even Candice). I can see concentrating on the AA group, but it does seem odd that they don't even mention the kids.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Christy didn't even mention staying local because of her son being here. I guess the show is officially pretending she's not one of the title characters, and the only Mom is Bonnie.

Yeah, I thought that was almost as glaring an omission as when Baxter bought her a car for all the crap he pulled on her without really discussing Roscoe either.   Poor retconned Roscoe.   I don't really miss him, but it is weird how hard they are trying to avoid even mentioning him.  

• Love 1

So Friday morning was rough, as I had to put our almost 16-year-old dog down.  I came home from the vet and got to work cleaning up the kitchen floor, as his geriatric status + hip dysplasia made for a very messy floor.  I figured I'd have "Mom" playing in the background, as I could really use the escape from reality for a bit.

~Sigh~ That distraction didn't work out quite like I thought it would. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Your Aunt Tilly said:

So Friday morning was rough, as I had to put our almost 16-year-old dog down.  I came home from the vet and got to work cleaning up the kitchen floor, as his geriatric status + hip dysplasia made for a very messy floor.  I figured I'd have "Mom" playing in the background, as I could really use the escape from reality for a bit.

Oh you poor thing! My condolences - even a hard-ass like myself knows that after that many years, he was family. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Your Aunt Tilly said:

I am so sorry. As I have told my fur babies when I had to make that tough decision, it's the ultimate act of love. I couldn't just let them decline and suffer. But that sure doesn't make it any easier. Cyber hugs to you.

• Love 3
On 4/6/2018 at 1:40 AM, kit.kat343 said:

Jill is usually one of the more interesting characters, so its good to have her back (and hopefully all went well with the actresses' pregnancy and babies).

I didn't realize how important she was to the show until she wasn't there.  Since her return the show has settled back into a familiar groove.

On 4/6/2018 at 6:26 PM, Judi Sunshine said:

I was very happy to see Jill get her 30-day chip <3 Her relapse storyline was great, but I want her to get better. Yes, I know these people are fictional. Kind of.

So was I!  It was rough watching her struggle.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Your Aunt Tilly said:

I'm so incredibly sorry, that is a heartbreaking loss. 

On 4/5/2018 at 9:49 PM, Lily H said:

I am SO glad they didn't show Samson dying onscreen. I could handle hearing right at the beginning that it happened 3 weeks ago and that it was peaceful, so I could enjoy the puppy properly. And he was ADORABLE! I'm also glad that they were realistic with Adam's grief, that he was still grieving weeks later. A new puppy does elicit a lot of conflicting feelings. And bonus ---- Gus was a RESCUE puppy!

she is obviously not a person who has had a lifelong relationship with animals and considers pets family like adam does. we lost a fur baby who was a better living thing than most people, in my opinion and what i have seen in life. he couldn't have been loved more and he was like a child to us. so when adam was not "better" after a few weeks i wanted to scream at bonnie. weeks is nothing. it can take months to start to feel normal and like any death, it is always there.

though she did show love to the  puppy (rescue, the best! too many needy cats and dogs out there) and she has it in her to be a good mom. much to christy's chagrin!

i thought this episode was good. i initially thought christie was crazy for not moving but then, who said it, if she wasn't sure, she wasn't in love. so it was the right decision. 

• Love 3
On 4/6/2018 at 11:31 PM, bybrandy said:

When my last dog passed I said I was going to wait a long time to get another dog, I just wasn't ready.  My cat, however, disagreed.   He cried for hours every night until I brought him another dog.  I totally dropped a puppy in his lap... well, a 2 year old rescue dog who had a history of LOVING cats...  Best decision I ever made.   No, seriously.   2 solid weeks of a cat crying for hours on end every night.

poor kitty! i'm so glad you got him another companion. you are a good mommy.

On 4/9/2018 at 6:52 AM, Spunkygal said:

I am so sorry. As I have told my fur babies when I had to make that tough decision, it's the ultimate act of love. I couldn't just let them decline and suffer. But that sure doesn't make it any easier. Cyber hugs to you.

On 4/8/2018 at 9:45 PM, Your Aunt Tilly said:

condolences.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, bybrandy said:

Despite what a lot of people think, some cats grieve, and grieve hard.  When I was younger, we had a cat who was about a 1.5 years old when a kitten showed up at our house who showed signs of horrible abuse (she was tossed out of a car window).  Mom and I fed her, and my dad got angry until he saw her one morning, scooped her up, and took her to the vet, where the extent of her injuries were discovered.  She was brain damaged, but made a full recovery.  Her jaw had broken and begun to re-heal, and not wanting to re-break it, the vet pulled some teeth so she could eat and close her mouth.  Older cat kicked in to high gear (a male) and had quite literally show her "how to cat" (bathe herself, etc).  They were buddies until she got sick.  She had a suspected brain tumor.  We put her down when it became apparent she was not going to survive (this was 1991).  The male grieved hard for her for a good week or two, but he was almost 8 by that point, and the decision was made to not get another cat due to him adjusting.  He lived another 9 years.  When I got married and got a cat of my own, we'd bring her up to visit, and they got along OK, but he never really took to another animal.

• Love 2