Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E03: Auditions

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Hopefuls audition in Los Angeles, Nashville, New York City, and Savannah. They include a cattle farmer from Texas, twin teenagers from Southern California, and a furniture salesman from Illinois.

Three episodes in and it's official, Katy is my least favorite of the judges. I don't care for the energy she brings to the panel.

And the last audition left me sobbing.  I thought it was a really sweet moment for the contestant and her best bud.  

• Love 7

I hope it got better. I quit after 15 minutes when the 6 foot 5 inch boy was told by Lionel Richie that if he had a year and a half to work with him he could accomplish something and that even after they gave him another chance he wasn’t quite there. Which sounded very honest to me. Then the other two said yes. Katy of course because he was hot. Kid doesn’t have a chance in Hollywood. What’s the point?

• Love 6

+I can not watch this anymore. Did anyone think that they brought in the downs syndrone kid, have him sit with them, and not have her go to Hollywood? All the stories, what about talent?

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, RedSoxRock said:

I hope it got better. I quit after 15 minutes when the 6 foot 5 inch boy was told by Lionel Richie that if he had a year and a half to work with him he could accomplish something and that even after they gave him another chance he wasn’t quite there. Which sounded very honest to me. Then the other two said yes. Katy of course because he was hot. Kid doesn’t have a chance in Hollywood. What’s the point?

Because they probably have quotas they have to fill so who cares

• Love 2
1 hour ago, UMAngela said:

Three episodes in and it's official, Katy is my least favorite of the judges. I don't care for the energy she brings to the panel.

I could not agree more.  In fact, this whole trio leaves me cold, but especially KP.  Tonight I kept the TV on mute, turning the sound on only when an auditioner sang.  I can't stomach another sobby back-story, and I reeeaallly can't stand the supposedly candid banter of the judges.  Everything sounds so scried and trite with those three.  And Katie is a cold fakety-fake fish.  ----  To think how eagerly I was looking forward to the return of idol.  *sigh*

• Love 6

*Snaps fingers*

*Keeps snapping fingers*

Seriously, though, there were a few good performances tonight I really liked that Effie, and the girl whose dad wrote a lot of popular songs was fantastic, too-really liked her take on "Gimme Shelter". I'm genuinely curious to see how they'll fare, and think they could go a good, long way. 

Some of the others weren't bad, but I could definitely see them having some issues as we work through the whittling down process. 

• Love 6

I really wish one time a judge would stare directly (completely deadpan in my fantasy) at Johnny (the guy with the wonderful music teacher) and say "You know what, you have an okay voice.....but I utterly hated the way you sang that song. It was nails on the chalkboard bad. Please come back next year and not be nails on the chalkboard bad." The same comment could also go for that Les guy too. His performance was the epitome of what Simon would've called self-indulgent or over-indulgent dreck lol.

I liked the fact that the two country singers who got tickets tonight, are about as far from contemporary country as you can get. Do either have a chance to get through Hollywood week? I doubt it, but anything to add some stylistic diversity to the ticket winners is okay with me.

I thought the two standouts were the girl who sang and played piano (no frills, just a very pretty voice) and the girl who sang Gimme Shelter. She looks like she's got the total package.

The twins will 100% be played for drama in Hollywood. Group rounds and all.

I think if they are going to show us someone auditioning with an original, they need to also show them auditioning with a cover song. This ultimately will not be a contest of originals. On some level it's karaoke and you need to prove you can play the "game" when it comes that. The super tall guy should not have made it. The ultra-whispy Shawn Mendes knockoff voices can go away at this point because it's been three audition shows and we've heard 5 or 6 in that category.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Literally all I want is an auditioner who comes in and says "Hi, I've had a pretty normal life, and a decent childhood and I'm just doing this for myself -- because I really like to sing."

I'm so sick of American Idol: Sob Story Survivor.

I think for the audition rounds it's necessary to break things up or else everyone sort of runs together. A majority of the people that make the Top 40, I think, don't have the stories. Some of my favorites, like Pia, Kris, David Cook, or Elise didn't even get "stories" until Hollywood so I don't mind them. (Kris Allen didn't even get his audition shown.)

I thought Luke Bryan was going to tell the last girl "Don't hold back, let it fly.........because BABY, YOU'RE A FIIIREWORK!"

Speaking of, the kid with the Luke Bryan impression was pretty good.

• Love 3

I just can’t get into it this year. I’m finishing episodes in about 20 minutes because I fast-forward the sob stories, the judges (Luke: why is he even there? Katy: Sometimes actually has a good point but needs to dial it back, and Lionel and the hugs), and most of the auditions. I’ll start listening to the singers, decide “nope,” and move on. I actually wasn’t that crazy about “Gimme Shelter.” She had a good voice and will probably be better on other songs, but I felt her rendition lacked the urgency the song needed.

• Love 3

The problem with singers who have a reputation and career to protect is soft ball judging.  And as far as Katy is concerned she just fights for face time.

I appreciate Lionel's feedback.  The kid he helped by standing behind him should not have made it. And he needs a new voice coach; he was clearly following her advice. 

The yodeling girl won't get far but I loved listening to that old time quirky song.  That was enough though.   :>

Funny.  The mother of the tall kid did not  believe she was talking to Katy or Lionel for one second; she hung up on him!  

Some of the singers stood out to me more than last season so I will stick with this for awhile anyway. 

• Love 2

The good news about the sob stories - they rarely win.  

Katy Perry needs to stop with the "Top 10" response.   That will come back and haunt her.  The spoilers are out, and as a judge she must have eliminated some of those she said was "Top 10".

I can see why Lionel Ritchie is the lead judge.

• Love 5

I really wanted to like the guy's voice from Hickory NC with the voice coach (I apologize, I never remember names until they make the live shows) but I wasn't overwhelmed by his audition and cringe thinking of him getting let down in Hollywood......it hurts my heart to see some of these kids get their dreams crushed when they have had a rough upbringing to begin with.  I do not always get taken in by the sob stories but some of them really do get to me.  I liked the kid who did the Luke Bryan imitation, the girl with the piano and original song, and the girl at the end.  Oh and the girl with the famous father she didn't know until later in life was stunning - her style, everything worked.  

I flip flop on Katy 2 of the 3 so far I have not really liked her.  I again, miss JLo.......for all the Diva rumors about her, I liked her so much during the audition rounds and seemed to really care about the candidates.  Still on the fence about Lionel and Luke.......they have their likable moments for sure but I am not sold on them yet.  I need to quit comparing them to Keith, JLo and Harry.                

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnnieHeights said:

I again, miss JLo.......for all the Diva rumors about her, I liked her so much during the audition rounds and seemed to really care about the candidates.  

Oh my, we are complete opposites on JLo as I hated everything about her and am delighted she is not on board this season.  Although I have to admit I am curious how she would have reacted to the girl who sang in Spanish and "danced" on stage. 

• Love 2

I had a feeling this would be  a mess, and I couldn't understand why ABC bought a show that was not doing that great anymore!   They have invested a ton of money into  this show in advertising, not to mention it's obvious Ryan was hired with Kelly partly to promote Idol.

Katy is awful.  I keep reading not so blind items that she is drunk on the set, and her behavior and acting like she's in heat when she sees the boys is making me think the blind items are not so off base.

The format is so so boring! 

They need to have someone with a little edge, and by that I don't mean someone coming onto the contestants! 

They need a real producer, not a bunch of singers who have no clue.

• Love 4

Fart Jokes?  Really?  Wow.  And from a 32 year old woman.  Pardon me, a 32 year old 'cougar.' She only said that like 5 times last night.  I don't know what Luke Bryan is like when he's not stuck sitting next to Katy, but my opinion of him got rather low when the whoopie cushion was broken out.  I mean, really.  This is about as low-brow as you can get.  Does anybody who's not a 7 year old boy find this shit funny?  When Katy told the one contestant that Luke smelled like farts... there are no words.  Classy.

Edited by Cementhead
spelling
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, UMAngela said:

She comes across as "all about her". Like she thinks she's a judge on The Voice and going to compete with "her team". Grrl, it ain't about you.

Lionel Richie has got to be one of the nicest men I've ever seen and I enjoy watching Luke's sparkly teeth - he looks like we could have a beer and talk college football together. 

Waiting for Hollywood week to start. Hurry up. 

• Love 5

How much do I love the girl from Anguilla who sang a Dylan song?  I LOVE her!!

And is it sad?   She did not have a loved one or family member with her.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, susannot said:

How much do I love the girl from Anguilla who sang a Dylan song?  I LOVE her!!

And is it sad?   She did not have a loved one or family member with her.

I can't place her. What was she wearing or anything to jog my memory. 

Headful of reddish Afro; never met her father; wearing long tunic outfit.  I think she sang "Make me feel my love"  though it was several songs ago so I'm not certain.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

I need to quit comparing them to Keith, JLo and Harry.     

I think that's probably the main reason why as I much as I try to watch this season, I can't get because of the current line up.  JLo can be polarizing in terms of what she brings about singing, but her overall work ethic and seem to care more about the contestants.  I like Lionel (though I cringe for the moment someone sings "Hello" to him) but I can take or leave Luke.  I think the previous trio was probably my favourite panel in the entire Fox run. 

• Love 1

When this renewal was first announced, I'm sure I read they were going to revamp the show.  Obviously that didn't happen.  I'm not wild about these judges either.  Lionel is probably the best of the 3.  Agree about the sob stories, but they are nothing compared to what they do on The Voice.  Definitely ff material on that show.  I'm hanging in though because I want to see how some of these people do on the live shows.  

20 hours ago, susannot said:

Death glare from younger sister Taryn to older sister Payton.  I can relate, having lived it.

The younger sister looked like she was seething!  Really curious about the true dynamics of that relationship.

• Love 1

Just caught up!

Red Hair Girl - Good voice, but she will probably be most memorable for her hair. I could just see her getting lost in the shuffle of all these contestants. There's nothing else that stands out about her for me.

Country Horse Girl - Well this is good if you like that kind of thing. But I agree with the judges it's not right for Idol. 

Michael Buble Soundalike - He does have a very strong voice, but he needs some work with enunciation and his original was horrible, sorry. I disagree with Katy about him being attractive... I don't see it. But good voice anyway.

LA Is Lonely Guy - I didn't care for his original, really. Meh. He's just ok. 

Effie - I wasn't sure at first but her original song was really good. She has a very strong voice too, but she is one of many who could stand to dial it down a few notches. But overall one of the strongest shown so far. I don't like her image at all though.

Vocal Coach Student - Another one who needs to tone it down, but overall good. I don't see him lasting though as there is nothing about him otherwise that stands out or makes him memorable.

Scotty McCreery Jr - Very mature voice and demeanor for his age. I also get a Scotty vibe from him. I agree with the judges, he needs to keep his vibrato in check, but otherwise quite good. I don't care for this kind of country music but this is good if you like that style. I'm interested to see how far he goes and what he'll do next.

Babysitter - She's decent but nothing that wowed me, really. Again, not sure that anything about her stands out.

Amelia - Clearly one of the more polished contestants. She has a lot going for her, but since she isn't modern at all, I'm not sure how far she'll go and that's probably why she hasn't broken through yet. She is really gorgeous though.

Twins - I think they could have chosen a different song. They both seemed to have trouble hitting the high notes, like it was just out of reach. Otherwise both really talented. It was refreshing to see just some plain fun for a change in the midst of all the sob stories.

Sam Cooke Jr - I agree with the judges, he needs to tone it down or else he's gonna blow his vocal cords. I would be interested in hearing how he sounds singing another song, as it seems like he chose this song because his voice sounds a lot like Sam's. Impressive rugged tone, needs to learn to reign it in.

Maddie Z - Wasn't expecting that. She has a very modern sounding voice, which is good. And the song choice was smart too. 

• Love 1

Did anybody else notice that Amalia's(the girl from Anguillia that sang the Dylan song) nose stud kept switching sides on her montage?

And how did she make it through, but Brittany(the girl who sang Whitney Houston) didn't?

Edited by marykat71702