Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

Bort

4 hours ago, nilyank said:

but we only have Alexis' word for it that Blake knew the truth.

In an earlier, pre-Alexis episode, it's revealed that Blake knew the "Truth" about the Carrington-Colby affair and allowed Cesil to believe that Blake had an affair with his wife because he was covering for his father. Then there wasn't any talk about children from that union, legitimate or not, and it seemed like Carrington Snr was sleeping with Cesil's wife, not his mother... But Blake definitely knew the truth about his relationship with the Colbys, whatever that truth really was. 

Brent Antonello is hot and sexy, but he also can play the sheepish boy-next-door buttoned-up type. Why the hell isn't he Steven? Damn it.

I kind of love how massively fucked up this version of Alexis is. I wonder if she came to the conclusion that real Adam is dead, grieved, and then came up with this plot? I also love that Fake Adam was willing to pretend to be his lover's son, and cut off his own finger to keep up the con.

I'm also wondering if Alexis was faking her pathetic circumstances, since it sounds like she met "Hank" at some vacation Caribbean area or something.

• Love 3

I like that every week this show has my jaw dropped by the end. I know some might not agree, but I really love what Nicolette's Alexis brings to the show. It's been fun trying to put together her endgame these past couple weeks and now that all has been revealed, I gotta say......she is one crafty bitch. 

Sometimes though, I can't tell if she wants to ruin Blake or get back with him. And I don't think she knows either. 

Well it seems like they've jumped out the window with the accidental incest plot-line. Even if Liam/Jack turns out to be Real Adam, their relatively chaste kiss has nothing on Fallon getting her clock rocked by her cousin multiple times. Half-cousin or no. It's still squicky as hell. And god they did SOOOO much too. *shudders*

But I actually believe that Monica and Jeff being one-quarter Carringtons is legit. And it seems that their mother will be the Dominique Deveraux of this piece which I'm very excited about. I will be watching that casting very closely. I've got a few fave actresses in mind. Vanessa Williams for one, but I don't know if the CW has the budget to score her AND keep Nicolette. 

The fake Adam working with Alexis plot is actually something I had theorized when we were speculating about Liam/Jack being Adam (still could be.) I thought it was very strange both Alexis and Liam turned up in Fallon's life around the same time so I naturally thought they were working together. Lol but of course, this show goes left and then fakes right but my theory still ended up being legit. I just had the wrong Fake Adam lol. 

Speaking of Fake Adam, he seems to be MORE than a little possessive of Alexis. And he was waaaay too into calling her 'Mommy'. Again *shudders*

Alexis might have bitten off more than she can chew with that one. 

Also as someone mentioned up thread, I also found it strange that Fake Adam didn't embrace Sammy Jo when they first met. He was playing the part of the charming and earnest long lost son at that time too so why the frostiness? Is it possible that the views of the random barfly who he paid to antagonize Sammy Jo in the first place and then subsequently punched out, were not that man's views but his own? 

Re: Blake. He is one of those Lucious Lyon type characters, the head honcho patriarch of the family and all around dickbag. You don't understand why they still have the respect of their families after they continually disrespect them so much. Cristal needs to leave Blake. Plain and simple. She deserves better and their scenes literally ONLY consist of Blake emotionally abusing Cristal and it's not fun to watch.

I mean, I enjoy Grant Show as an actor but Blake's dynamic with Cristal isn't what I thought it'd be and like Cristal...........I want out. 

And finally, I really wish I could get it up for Cullhane and Fallon but I just can't. They seem to be framing them as THE Fallon ship but for me the chemistry just isn't there. Liz constantly sparks with other actors on the show (she and Jeff have chemistry for days, she had a cute vibe with the actor who played Liam/Jack, her scenes with Sammy Jo are always fun and she's got a great dynamic with Nathalie AND Nicollette) but I don't feel it with them and I wish I did, cause Cullhane seems to be a good guy. I was surprised that she choose him over the family. She's really in love. 

Promo for next week looks good. I hope we close out on a batshit crazy note! 

• Love 2

I saw chemistry between Culhane and Fallon before Jeff and then Jack arrived, when I saw more chemistry between them.  So I think the problem is it's hard to go backward from good, better, best.   

The writing on the show feels kind of like a runaway train to me... it isn't thought through in some respects, while it is very carefully mapped out in others.   Like the show seemed very Cristal focused in the first episodes, then she faded and it became (rightly in my view) the Fallon show.  Blake never made any sense.  The Colbys so disappeared for a few weeks while they established Alexis that it could have easily stayed that way.  Where's Cecil?  Does it matter?  Ted fell out a window and it really looked bad.  Then it stopped looking like anything. I also hate when they just cook things up for convenience... like Culhane suddenly having a university degree in communications.   That's daytime faking left. 

I give them credit though, jaws do drop and cleverly.  What I thought was the bad writing of the whole El Paso sequence turned out to be purposeful writing as the pieces of Alexis' scam fell into place.   That Jack left the show to return to the embrace of his very wealthy family was no accident.  He will be back - with his bags of money - at some point is my guess. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, stormborn said:

Promo for next week looks good. I hope we close out on a batshit crazy note! 

Oh, this show is already batshit crazy, and I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I mean, Alexis is sleeping with a man who's pretending to be her son, who cut off his finger for her scheme. I was actually sorry she was behind the fake Adam scheme. I think it takes her from hilarious villain (as in can-you-believe-she-did-that) to genuine villain. 

On 5/5/2018 at 10:18 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

So, they addressed the incest issue between Jeff and Colby head on. Stand back, GoT. Dynasty is stepping in your lane.

In the age of almost instant DNA tests why would anyone try to pull a fake "I'm your son/brother" scam? I guess, like on daytime soaps, Alexis will arrange to have test results altered.

Interesting how Adam/Hank stiff-armed Sammy Jo when they first met. Wonder what that was all about?

Poor Culhane. Fired before he even got his first fat paycheck.

Alexis is playing 3D chess. Her hair is pathetic but her Machiavellian scheming game is on point.

Wait what? Matthew is still alive? How is that possible? He got blowed up real good.

Sexual relations and marriage between  first cousins are legal in Georgia. It might be gross, but it's not incest.

I thought Sam was cold to Hank/Adam because he thought something was off. The ease with which the Carringtons (especially Blake once he saw the fake finger) just accepted Hank made me think they deserve every bad thing that should happen to them; they're morons.

Blake is such a poorly written character it's difficult to understand what drives him.

I thought Matthew was decapitated, which always brings this scene from "Soapdish" to mind:

The average age of the writers must be 16. It's so obvious they don't even have a minimal understanding of the business world. It makes me laugh every time one of the characters says, "COO." It's like that's the only bit of business jargon they know.

Here's a hint, Fallon: you don't talk about the appearance of a cover-up in front of outsiders. And, Blake, you don't call someone a whistleblower and publicly fire  them because they're a whistleblower.

I give Fallon props for her attempted coup against Blake, because I think she's right. Blake is bad for the company. 

I laughed the way Blake blindsided Cristal by "firing" her in a televised press conference. Of all the idiot Carringtons, I hate her the most, because she's the biggest idiot of them all (it doesn't help that she's also the worst actress). I love to see her thwarted at every turn. Now that she's going to be at home, I'd love to see her turn into one of those boozy "ladies who lunch" for shits and giggles. 

Interesting that even in flashbacks, Steven is still such a dull, bland character. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, stormborn said:

Speaking of Fake Adam, he seems to be MORE than a little possessive of Alexis. And he was waaaay too into calling her 'Mommy'. Again *shudders*

Alexis might have bitten off more than she can chew with that one. 

Girl... And all this before we find out that he cut off a finger for her. Alexis needs to watch herself with that one. And that line about not being happy to share her with her kids... I don't think that was just sweet talk.

4 hours ago, Big Blue Plate said:

I saw chemistry between Culhane and Fallon before Jeff and then Jack arrived, when I saw more chemistry between them.  So I think the problem is it's hard to go backward from good, better, best.   

For me, chemistry depends a lot on the plot/story. A few actor pairs can transcend the material and just connect on screen even if story-wise, the relationship doesn't have much weight... but that's rare, imo. It took me a while to realize that Culhane/Fallon was supposed to be a serious relationship not a friends-with-benefits thing and that, imo, was a failing from the dialogue and plot --- not their chemistry. Until the incest, Jeff/Fallon was the most intriguing relationship on the show because they are both so alike personality-wise. I don't 'ship' them in the sense that I wanted them to end up HEA, but I miss seeing them just interacting with each other. Jack/Fallon is... How do I put it? I want to believe that there's more to his appeal than being the only straight white guy on the show that is shippable with Fallon... but I can't see it. He reminds me of Regina George's declaration on Mean Girls, about Fetch. If you've watched the movie, you know what I mean.

4 hours ago, Big Blue Plate said:

I also hate when they just cook things up for convenience... like Culhane suddenly having a university degree in communications.   That's daytime faking left. 

No, it's not. It was established as early as the Thanksgiving episode (staff vs family) that he was on a college athletics scholarship and almost went pro. It's not any more or less believable than Fallon figuring out that Matthew's wife was an engineer simply because she suddenly realized that women can be  engineers too. Plus the whole deal with his family is that they felt he had the brains and the tools to be a high flyer in an Energy company. That's a hard lie to sell if he's supposed to be a college drop-out. 

It's unbelievable to me because he took his university degree to be a chauffeur with no prospects of being anything else.  And until recently, nobody talked about offering him anything else.  

I don't 'ship' them in the sense that I wanted them to end up HEA, but I miss seeing them just interacting with each other. Jack/Fallon is... How do I put it? I want to believe that there's more to his appeal than being the only straight white guy on the show that is shippable with Fallon... but I can't see it. He reminds me of Regina George's declaration on Mean Girls, about Fetch. If you've watched the movie, you know what I mean.

From the start of those sentences I struggled to know what you mean, to be honest.  

On 5/5/2018 at 12:27 AM, ursula said:

I thought he was a hallucination?

Still icky. And it still doesn't explain Blake being aware of this enough to stop Jeff from dating Fallon as a teenager, but being indifferent about them dating as adults. 

Did Blake know about Fallon and Jeff dating as adults? I remember when she was telling him about the wedding and he seemed surprised to hear her mention that the wedding was to Jeff. It could be that he just didn't think they were serious, but he could have been in the dark about them dating. He could have thought they were just spending time together because of the business. It's not like we saw him around Fallon and Jeff very much.

3 hours ago, Big Blue Plate said:

It's unbelievable to me because he took his university degree to be a chauffeur with no prospects of being anything else.  And until recently, nobody talked about offering him anything else.  

He was be paid a 6 figured salary which included living in the carriage house for free. I believe that Blake offered him the job when he got injured and wasn't going to be able to turn pro. He make indispensable to the family but he also got very comfortable with the setup that he never left for better opportunities.

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Are we sure Matthew is really there and not just a figment of crazy Claudia's imagination? 

Honestly, that was my knee-jerk reaction the moment I saw him. And wasn't there some kind of guard/caretaker that was side-eyeing "them" during the conversation? The side-eye would make sense if it was just Claudia talking to herself. Although Matthew being dead all along would be an anti-climatic fake-out. 

6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did Blake know about Fallon and Jeff dating as adults? I remember when she was telling him about the wedding and he seemed surprised to hear her mention that the wedding was to Jeff. It could be that he just didn't think they were serious, but he could have been in the dark about them dating. He could have thought they were just spending time together because of the business. It's not like we saw him around Fallon and Jeff very much.

I'm not sure if there was ever a scene when it was revealed to him... but considering that Jallon wasn't long a secret from Michael and Monica - the only people that Fallon cared about keeping it from - I don't think it's logical that Blake didn't know. I mean, Jeff gave her that gorgeous car on her birthday, then showed up with ransom money when she was kidnapped, and joined the amateur strike effort. Blake was so worried about Jeff bungling the rescue effort, he asked Michael to shadow him - which won't make sense if Blake felt that Jallon was a strictly professional partnership.

I mean these are two attractive adults who co-own a business, work closely together and socialize in public frequently... Even in the unlikelihood that Blake did not know if they were dating/friends-with-benefits/whatever-the-cool-kids-call-it-these-days .... he had no way of knowing if they were not.  Considering how worried he was about potential incest between underage teenagers (at least, if the flashbacks are anything to go by), Blake seemed indifferent to the possibility of adult Jallon happening.

I think he was just surprised that the relationship had turned so serious so fast. They weren't dating for that long, even by show-time. 

Edited by ursula
On 5/6/2018 at 2:32 PM, ursula said:

Girl... And all this before we find out that he cut off a finger for her. Alexis needs to watch herself with that one. And that line about not being happy to share her with her kids... I don't think that was just sweet talk.

I am so down for Jude Kincade to be playing batshit crazy. If this doesn't end in some Melrose Place hostage situation, I'll be disappointed.

As for Matthew, maybe he's a hallucination urging Claudia to kill? Or he's alive after all. I did think it was weird to cast a fairly well-known actor for a one-off appearance.

22 hours ago, ursula said:

I'm not sure if there was ever a scene when it was revealed to him... but considering that Jallon wasn't long a secret from Michael and Monica - the only people that Fallon cared about keeping it from - I don't think it's logical that Blake didn't know. I mean, Jeff gave her that gorgeous car on her birthday, then showed up with ransom money when she was kidnapped, and joined the amateur strike effort. Blake was so worried about Jeff bungling the rescue effort, he asked Michael to shadow him - which won't make sense if Blake felt that Jallon was a strictly professional partnership.

I mean these are two attractive adults who co-own a business, work closely together and socialize in public frequently... Even in the unlikelihood that Blake did not know if they were dating/friends-with-benefits/whatever-the-cool-kids-call-it-these-days .... he had no way of knowing if they were not.  Considering how worried he was about potential incest between underage teenagers (at least, if the flashbacks are anything to go by), Blake seemed indifferent to the possibility of adult Jallon happening.

I think he was just surprised that the relationship had turned so serious so fast. They weren't dating for that long, even by show-time. 

I agree it is a bit of a stretch, but Blake has had a lot of his own issues going on. It is illogical, but makes more sense than him being okay with incest.  But I would also be very surprised Jeff and Monica are both Carrington's. It seems a bit strange that the grandmother denied it and then went back with a nice neat story. Almost like someone came and pressured her into it.

20 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

But I would also be very surprised Jeff and Monica are both Carrington's. It seems a bit strange that the grandmother denied it and then went back with a nice neat story. Almost like someone came and pressured her into it.

Then we're now left with figuring out why Blake was against teen Jallon.

I think the issue with Blake's ignorance of their relationship is probably a writing/plotting fail. I don't think the writers started out the show envisioning that Fallon will have a very explicitly sexual relationship with her half-cousin but the idea came up later in the season, and they decided to run with it and the teenage!Jallon flashbacks were created to back up that idea. 

And let's not forget that the overly simple open-and-shut theory of Cecil's wife's affair with Blake was revealed to be Blake "covering" for Thomas, putting him in the "know" about the Colby-Carrington connection. So if the Colby kids are illegitimate Carringtons, Blake had practically their whole lives to confirm this. 

2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I agree it is a bit of a stretch, but Blake has had a lot of his own issues going on. It is illogical, but makes more sense than him being okay with incest.  But I would also be very surprised Jeff and Monica are both Carrington's. It seems a bit strange that the grandmother denied it and then went back with a nice neat story. Almost like someone came and pressured her into it.

I think they are part Carrington. Their grandmother said her daughter's name was Millie, which was the birth name of original Dynasty's Dominique Deveraux, who was Blake's half sister. So it seems like to me they're just consolidating New Dynasty's Colbys with that plotline from the original series. I hope their mother is Dominique tbh. 

And I feel that Blake being unaware of Jeff and Fallon is not unlike him being unaware of all the scheming Alexis has been doing. Blake is not the most perceptive imo. He's far too egotistical and caught up in himself to see past his own nose. So it's possible he missed Fallon and Jeff. 

25 minutes ago, stormborn said:

And I feel that Blake being unaware of Jeff and Fallon is not unlike him being unaware of all the scheming Alexis has been doing. Blake is not the most perceptive imo. He's far too egotistical and caught up in himself to see past his own nose. So it's possible he missed Fallon and Jeff. 

I think my problem with this is that there was already an earlier attraction that Blake was aware of. So its not like if it never occurred to him that they could go there.

And Blake is perceptive when he wants to be. He figured out Cristal's sort-of thing with the reporter guy, and he generally knows what buttons to push on his children. The only thing I can kinda see (ignoring a late season plot change/reinvention) is that Blake expected Fallon's feelings/relationship with Culhane to override any possibility of Jallon happening. And technically he wasn't wrong about that because Fallon basically started sleeping with Jeff on the rebound from Culhane.

(Still think it's a late season change, though. I don't think the original idea was to have the Blake/Mrs Cecil affair be not true.)

5 minutes ago, ursula said:

I think my problem with this is that there was already an earlier attraction that Blake was aware of. So its not like if it never occurred to him that they could go there.

And Blake is perceptive when he wants to be. He figured out Cristal's sort-of thing with the reporter guy, and he generally knows what buttons to push on his children. The only thing I can kinda see (ignoring a late season plot change/reinvention) is that Blake expected Fallon's feelings/relationship with Culhane to override any possibility of Jallon happening. And technically he wasn't wrong about that because Fallon basically started sleeping with Jeff on the rebound from Culhane.

(Still think it's a late season change, though. I don't think the original idea was to have the Blake/Mrs Cecil affair be not true.)

Yeah you could be right about it being a late season change. Maybe they made some alterations when they found out about the s2 renewal. I think they still had yet to film the last couple eps of the season when they found out about their pick-up.

And I think Blake is adept at gas-lighting and emotional abuse in general so it's easy for him to pick up on weaknesses in the people he's trying to undermine but I still think he's pretty clueless overall. He's a classic narcissist. If it's about him or about his agenda he'll clue in, if it's not....then welp. But that might be my anti-Blake bias talking though lol. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ursula said:

He is perceptive when he wants to be, but that is more when it impacts him directly. Being perceptive about who his kids sleep with may not be something he wants to do.

Or the writers changing their mind at the last minute. That is usually the most likely cause of continuity issues.

I love Fallon and Cuhlane, he's the guy she can be an adult with and eventually have a serious relationship with.  Unfortunately on shows like Dynasty and Gossip Girl good guys are frowned upon. The Chuck Basses of the world get the love despite them being scumbags. I think Micheal is Fallon's center, I just hope Dynasty don't pull a Gossip Girl

• Love 2

The problem with "good guys" on shows like this is that they tend to be written as judgemental, holier-than-thou, and somewhat bland. Audiences like the scumbags better because they're at least less annoying and boring. Though it's really clearing a very low bar. Both of these character types pretty much kind of suck.

I'm surprised people think a university grad wouldn't be a chauffeur. Plenty of grads are in crappier jobs that have very little to do with what they studied. I would kill to make as much money as Culhane and have a carriage house to live in!

• Love 3

I just wish Stephen wasn't written to be quite so stupid.  I haven't seen the newest episode, but the idea that he didn't even wait for DNA testing to be done before treating "Adam" as his long lost brother is just absurd. 

• Love 2

I'm impressed. They created a fun filled, suspenseful cliffhanger. So many lives in danger, even though I know all of them are safe. Cristal shot and trapped in a burning house, Blake and Steven possibly trapped in the burning house, Alexis disappeared to who knows where.

Also, Liam showed back up and is in Claudia's crosshairs. Though what's going to happen there, I don't know. Also, Fallon confessed her love for Michael and Liam confessed his love for Fallon. If he really is Adam, that's going to be slightly less awkward than Fallon's realization that she banged her cousin.

Kirby's the surprise guest, but they haven't cast the actress for the role, so expect the accent to be different. They actually left Adam out of the episode and didn't try to make him a cliffhanger. 

Also, Kelly Rutherford's character is pregnant with Steven's baby...or so she says. But how nice of her to tell Steven to go marry Sam. 

And finally, Alexis and Cristal get into a major cat fight. How fun. That was a fun finale. 

• Love 2
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm impressed. They created a fun filled, suspenseful cliffhanger. So many lives in danger, even though I know all of them are safe. Cristal shot and trapped in a burning house, Blake and Steven possibly trapped in the burning house, Alexis disappeared to who knows where.

Also, Liam showed back up and is in Claudia's crosshairs. Though what's going to happen there, I don't know. Also, Fallon confessed her love for Michael and Liam confessed his love for Fallon. If he really is Adam, that's going to be slightly less awkward than Fallon's realization that she banged her cousin.

Kirby's the surprise guest, but they haven't cast the actress for the role, so expect the accent to be different. They actually left Adam out of the episode and didn't try to make him a cliffhanger. 

Also, Kelly Rutherford's character is pregnant with Steven's baby...or so she says. But how nice of her to tell Steven to go marry Sam. 

And finally, Alexis and Cristal get into a major cat fight. How fun. That was a fun finale. 

Claudia found Hank not Liam. 

Michael followed Alexis who went looking for Cristal.

Blake is actually outside safe with Fallon and Sam.

So when we come back, I think Steven will be assumed to be dead and Sam and the Carringtons will draw closer to the baby that Kelly Rutherford will have. 

Claudia escapes with Hank and will come back later crazier than ever.

I think Cristal will find out that she was pregnant but lost the baby after Claudia shot her thereby starting that whole saga of her trying to have a child with Blake who will be by her side as she recuperates.

Alexis will continue to meddle and try to get Liam closer to Fallon when she finds out about his missing finger. Because I believe that he is still Adam.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, nilyank said:

Claudia found Hank not Liam. 

Oops, my bad. I wasn't fully paying attention. Good to know that Hank's likely going to be around for season 2.

4 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Blake is actually outside safe with Fallon and Steven.

Ah, ok. I swear Blake went to get Steven and both were trapped in the house. Damn. I wouldn't have hated a Blake in peril cliffhanger. That way, I could pretend he really was dead. I mixed up who the third person was outside with Fallon and Sam. So Michael is part of the "possible fatality" list. 

Sadly, I don't think the show is going to go for a "dead" Steven arc. I feel like he'll show up two minutes into the premiere, all fine and ok, while Cristal is thought to be dead. 

(edited)
20 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Blake is actually outside safe with Fallon and Steven.

I think you mean Sammy Jo, not Steven?

At the end, the people that are standing outside and watching the burning house are Fallon, Blake and Sammy Jo. Anders is safe too and so is his crazy daughter who too obviously could have started the fire. (Again, too obviously).

So the "unknowns" are:

Steven whom we never actually see leave the burning room - Michael hesitated between going back in for him, or following Alexis to help Cristal, then decided to go after Alexis/Cristal;

Michael and Alexis who were on their way to Cristal but we never see get to her or leave the building and don't forget Alexis's cabin is also on fire; and

Cristal whose last shot is of her bleeding from a GSW in a smoking cabin. 

Edited by ursula
redacted. ?
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ursula said:

I think you mean Sammy Jo, not Steven?

Yep, I corrected my post. I wonder who they will play to be Kirby who sounds nothing like the original. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The last we saw of Alexis she was running upstairs yelling 'Cristal!'

The last we saw of Cristal she was lying down, shot, with fire coming through the floorboards.  Is the studio directly above the trophy room?

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1
Just now, sugarbaker design said:

Is the studio directly above the trophy room?

Yeah, I didn't get the logistics of it. Wasn't Cristal supposed to be in Alexis's cabin, which is on the Carrington grounds but away from the main building?

5 minutes ago, ursula said:

Yeah, I didn't get the logistics of it. Wasn't Cristal supposed to be in Alexis's cabin, which is on the Carrington grounds but away from the main building?

It's the oddest thing. It seems like getting to Alexis' cabin, people have to walk up the stairs

I legit had to find a picture to figure it out, but it seems like the party wasn't in the mansion but in the separate part on the property (I believe it's part of the stables), hence why Anders was in the actual mansion with Kirby. 

Their property certainly is confusing. I didn't realize Michael, and then Alexis, lived in its own separate mansion (well, it's basically its own mansion). 

http://carringtondynasty.wikia.com/wiki/The_new_mansion?file=NewMansion4.png

3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Their property certainly is confusing. I didn't realize Michael, and then Alexis, lived in its own separate mansion (well, it's basically its own mansion). 

Michael was living large. No wonder why Alexis wanted to move back in there.

They've definitely given themselves the option to bring in a new actor to play Steven after plastic surgery because of the fire, as an homage to the recasting in the original series. I wonder if they'll take advantage of it.

During the episode, I was honestly expecting a Moldavian Massacre scenario based on all the "we'll talk about it after the wedding" conversations between core cast members and expendable second tier characters. I'm glad they didn't go that route just yet - this worked nicely as a Season 1 cliffhanger.

• Love 4

Just curious question: Why do several other continuing dramas on PTV forums have "episode" titles/topics, while Dynasty just has an all-in-one "season discussion"??

If/when we get a season 2 of Dynasty, can we have "episode" topics like the others?

• Love 1

It was fun finale, I truly believe Dynasty is a nice, fluffy tv-show, very enjoyable. I'll miss it till season 2! As for the episode I hope everyone survives but I don't want Crystal to have Blake's babies. One thing about the finale pissed me off - Blake was due for some comeuppance yet likely he'll be by Crystal's side in season 2 and everything will be brushed off. The way he treated her etc. There needs to be a resolution to that! Do we still think that Liam is Adam? Oh, and Kelly Rutherfold baby is so unnecessary. Steven is alive and I hope that it will be established right away, that's why I like this show, it's so fast-paced.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MsTree said:

Just curious question: Why do several other continuing dramas on PTV forums have "episode" titles/topics, while Dynasty just has an all-in-one "season discussion"??

If/when we get a season 2 of Dynasty, can we have "episode" topics like the others?

Well, I think someone thought that the show would not gather that much of a following, so one thread for the entire season would be enough. And, judging from the fact that the whole season got nine pages of text, whereas with other shows, there are episodic threads with that amount alone, I think it was the right move.

• Love 5
(edited)

I wish it would be the show with Brent Antonello, Nicolette, Adam Huber and Elizabeth Gillies only. Everyone else is so unnecessary. Partially because the writing is bad. As someone mentioned here, you can literally see that different people work on different storylines, and while part of it is good, other parts are cringeworthy.  Ppl from "Dallas" reboot should take over!      

Edited by skotnikov
41 minutes ago, skotnikov said:

Brent Antonello, Nicolette, Adam Huber and Elizabeth Gillies only

White straight Fallon, her white mom, and the only white boys you can ship Fallon with.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, ursula said:

White straight Fallon, her white mom, and the only white boys you can ship Fallon with.

If they would have an Afro-American, Asian or Latin actor who could actually act that would be amazing, but the truth is that the rest is just horrible cartoonish actors. They look like provincial high school amateur theatre. Every time Steven or Colby's sister are on screen I switch the channel.     

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, skotnikov said:

If they would have an Afro-American, Asian or Latin actor who could actually act that would be amazing, but the truth is that the rest is just horrible cartoonish actors. 

As opposed to Nicolette who's playing exactly the same 2-dimensional character she played in Desperate Housewives or Adam Huber whose character has no range outside 'pleasant and pretty white boy' and delivers all his lines with the same expression?

Edited by ursula
  • Love 6

I'd be fine if they cut out most of the characters. Most notably Steven, Sammy Jo, Cristal, Blake, and Jeff. Sadly, I just can't warm to Jeff and don't think the actor's all that great. I don't mind the idea of Cristal, but the actress needs to be better at acting. I remember her being atrocious on The Vampire Diaries when I was skimming the final couple of seasons. I think Blake is an intriguing villain, but he's also kind of one note at this point. I go back and forth on whether I love to hate Blake, or just really don't like him just because of the actor.

Sammy Jo and Steven bore me because both actors suck. The actor who plays Steven is just bland, both personality wise and looks wise (I will say it's nice that they cast a very average looking guy; seriously, I don't find James Mackay attractive in any way) and Rafael de la Fuente is basically a George Michael wannabe with the cross earring and ensemble, but without much of the charm. So either they recast Steven and hope that it sparks something between him and Sam, or get rid of the characters completely. 

I think there was an overload of Alexis since she appeared a few episodes ago. Hopefully, when they inevitably make her a series regular for season 2, they can tone it down and go back to equating the screentime and storylines with other couples. There's been so much Alexis that I was sure that she'd be the one who was shot. Yeah, so for season 2, way less Alexis is better for me. I get they've been capitalizing on the actress but it took away from other storylines with the other characters. 

I do like Liam/Jack, but I still would rather him be a Carrington than be stuck in a love triangle with Fallon and Michael. I like Michael quite a bit, but....yeah, he is kind of bland, now that I think about it. But all they need to do is give him a juicier storyline that's not pining over Fallon or declaring how he's done with the Carringtons, as he's basically had that iteration of a line every episode for the entire second half of the season. 

I do love Anders, and I think his story with his daughter could be interesting. How old is Kirby supposed to be? If Jeff Colby is truly sticking around, I wonder if they'll throw him and Kirby together, or if she'll get hooked up with Michael instead. 

I hope that Liam doesn't come between Fallon and Michael. I would hate to see Michael marginalized like they did Jimmy on Supergirl when Kara's white knight showed up.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

They've definitely given themselves the option to bring in a new actor to play Steven after plastic surgery because of the fire, as an homage to the recasting in the original series. I wonder if they'll take advantage of it.

Heh. My first thought too! It's not just his looks, it's that the actor can't bring more personality, spark, SOMETHING to admittedly crappy writing for his character. Like, even Kelly Rutherford can make us believe that she has inexplicable hots for Steven...then the camera pans back to his reaction and its bland on bland.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Sadly, I just can't warm to Jeff and don't think the actor's all that great.

I really want to like him (been trying to all season) but one of the first mistakes is that they had faceoffs between him and the actor playing Culhane. Culhane is so much better at conveying nuance and depth, and believable that Fallon could legit be in love with him, whereas Jeff's apology to Fallon seemed to come out of nowhere. That being said, it almost feels like the show realizes this, and have turned Jeff and Monica into fashion spreads as opposed to characters. When they walked in with their matching metallic outfits I think I laughed out loud. I'm all for camp, but it has to be better integrated into the show. The actress playing Monica is gorgeous, but is essentially a model with lines.

So much wasted potential, since their characters could be used more to explore race, class, ambition in an otherwise over the top soap.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I like Michael quite a bit, but....yeah, he is kind of bland, now that I think about it. But all they need to do is give him a juicier storyline that's not pining over Fallon or declaring how he's done with the Carringtons, as he's basically had that iteration of a line every episode for the entire second half of the season. 

He's fine when he's not being made to do stupid things like confront Blake at the construction site (if you're trying to get the corporation to do the right thing AND you've taken a job to do so from the inside, why do something counterproductive like that?) But then again, this is the same stupidity that has everyone forgetting to insist on DNA tests.

Fallon being made CEO makes a lot more sense considering how she acts like it more than Blake does. And showing Crystal on the rampage like that was why it never made sense that she was COO. Although I did laugh when they showed Blake's back with DOUCHE emblazoned on it. Claudia's escape was super graphic but well-done.

I am loving the Liam storyline, wooF the chemistry! That's an example of an actor bringing more to his character than the writing gives.

I'm cool with Sammy Jo and the actor who plays him. He's far more interesting than Steven, and I like the fact that the family has more or less accepted him, which allows for intriguing story possibilities like the weird standoffishness that people upthread picked up from Hank towards him at their first meeting.

Alexis is also a lot more interesting with this Hank twist. Especially as it leaves the possibility that Adam is still out there somewhere.

• Love 2

Ppl from "Dallas" reboot should take over

Not sure if serious. They pretty much ran the franchise into the ground.

Especially as it leaves the possibility that Adam is still out there somewhere.

He's probably not far away. It's interesting that as soon as the fake Adam was unmasked, Liam popped up again. My money's still on him.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, tabularasa said:

It was fun finale, I truly believe Dynasty is a nice, fluffy tv-show, very enjoyable. I'll miss it till season 2! As for the episode I hope everyone survives but I don't want Crystal to have Blake's babies. One thing about the finale pissed me off - Blake was due for some comeuppance yet likely he'll be by Crystal's side in season 2 and everything will be brushed off. The way he treated her etc. There needs to be a resolution to that! Do we still think that Liam is Adam? Oh, and Kelly Rutherfold baby is so unnecessary. Steven is alive and I hope that it will be established right away, that's why I like this show, it's so fast-paced.

There is some possibility with Liam being a possible Carrington however if they want to pair Fallon up with Liam, it would be the second time she committed incest with an unknown family member. 

5 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Heh. My first thought too! It's not just his looks, it's that the actor can't bring more personality, spark, SOMETHING to admittedly crappy writing for his character. Like, even Kelly Rutherford can make us believe that she has inexplicable hots for Steven...then the camera pans back to his reaction and its bland on bland.

I really want to like him (been trying to all season) but one of the first mistakes is that they had faceoffs between him and the actor playing Culhane. Culhane is so much better at conveying nuance and depth, and believable that Fallon could legit be in love with him, whereas Jeff's apology to Fallon seemed to come out of nowhere. That being said, it almost feels like the show realizes this, and have turned Jeff and Monica into fashion spreads as opposed to characters. When they walked in with their matching metallic outfits I think I laughed out loud. I'm all for camp, but it has to be better integrated into the show. The actress playing Monica is gorgeous, but is essentially a model with lines.

So much wasted potential, since their characters could be used more to explore race, class, ambition in an otherwise over the top soap.

He's fine when he's not being made to do stupid things like confront Blake at the construction site (if you're trying to get the corporation to do the right thing AND you've taken a job to do so from the inside, why do something counterproductive like that?) But then again, this is the same stupidity that has everyone forgetting to insist on DNA tests.

Fallon being made CEO makes a lot more sense considering how she acts like it more than Blake does. And showing Crystal on the rampage like that was why it never made sense that she was COO. Although I did laugh when they showed Blake's back with DOUCHE emblazoned on it. Claudia's escape was super graphic but well-done.

I am loving the Liam storyline, wooF the chemistry! That's an example of an actor bringing more to his character than the writing gives.

I'm cool with Sammy Jo and the actor who plays him. He's far more interesting than Steven, and I like the fact that the family has more or less accepted him, which allows for intriguing story possibilities like the weird standoffishness that people upthread picked up from Hank towards him at their first meeting.

Alexis is also a lot more interesting with this Hank twist. Especially as it leaves the possibility that Adam is still out there somewhere.

I really want to root for Jeff but they have not done enough for his character to make him a threat to Blake .I believe in the first episode Jeff was coming up to be a leading young businessmen in the country cause he brought a streaming music company and he was investing a couple of startups.   After the 80's party it took a turn for the worse and he played stooge to Fallon. I want Jeff more then any character to be the most compelling, complex and twisted character cause all the other characters are one dimensioned including Blake. I think Monica is eye candy and seems to be playing the token black girl role where she plays second dibs to enhance Fallon, cause in one episode Fallon was gambling with an old perverted sugar daddy  who wanted to sleep with her and the writing was made so Fallon looked superwoman tough and Monica was the paniky protective friend. In the original Dynasty, Monica Colby was brainy, stronger then her brother and brilliant at her age, she was a lawyer and even became a businesswoman. In this reboot, they are making Monica to be more like a nightclub girl and to make a show work Fallon needs a young rival. I have been dissapointed with the writing of the Colbys and hope they give more storyline in the second season. 

Culhane is really the moral angel to Fallon, so I don't see them changing his character right now but I think he might go for a government agent role. The death of his father  Culhan went back to school and decided to become a SEC analyst or an FBI agent. Culhane was always the one doing the dirty, investigating and snooping so why not!

Well that was one fun, wild ride. I gotta say I am very pleased that I gave this show a chance. I mean, it's a little rough 'round the edges but it's a damn good time. 

First off, I love how it was literally one revelation after the other in this episode. We dealt with the Colby drama, the Claudia drama, Steven finding out he's gonna be a daddy right before he walked down the aisle, THE OVER THE TOP CRISTAL/ALEXIS SHOWDOWN and of course this show's answer to the Moldavian Massacre. And even though I know everyone will inevitably survive, I was still at the edge of my seat. 

And I might be in the minority here, when I say that I'm fine with the actor who currently plays Steven. I think that while he's not the BEST actor in the world, he does have great chemistry with Raphael and really clicks with Liz as a brother and sister duo. I'd be sad to see him go if the show did recast. But I might be the only one lol. 

Blake's non-reaction to Fallon and Jeff getting it on threw me for a loop (and also his rationalization of it "you're only HALF cousins" and "oh wait you're not pregnant are you???" lol wtf???) and I think I believe now more and more it was in fact a late season change to facilitate what is so clearly shaping up to be a love triangle between Fallon/Liam/Cullhane. It's gonna be tiresome but such is the nature of the CW soap. (They're already teasing the 'Who Will She Choose' stuff on their official twitter). 

Now this is just my pet theory, but I do think the show intended for Liam to end up being Adam but maybe decided to switch gears and make the Colbys Carringtons instead. Maybe they saw more story potential in Dominique Deveraux being Jeff and Monica's mother for one. I know that's something I'm very much looking forward to in season two. 

And imo, I think it'd be overkill to have Fallon be once again romantically linked to another family member. 

Personally, I think Real Adam is dead and Alexis knows it. Also, in the original series Adam was always meant to be a fake, it's only cause the producers at the time loved the original actor so much they decided to make him a legitimate Carrington. This show seems to have a fake Adam and they're gonna do some wacky things with him it looks like. 

When it comes to Liam/Jack next season, he and Fallon are obviously getting into business together, he's made his feelings for her known and all of this will complicate things with her relationship with Cullhane. Fallon is 100% in with Cullhane but she wasn't exactly indifferent to Liam/Jack when they were married either so I see some romantic shenanigans coming. Again, as is the way of the soap. 

Also, methinks that Liam's messed up family the Van Kirks, was it? Will be the Carrington's newest business rivals. 

So there are a lot of pieces on the board for next season. And I'm very excited to see where this all takes us! Was fun chatting with you guys about it these past couple weeks <3 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, stormborn said:

might be in the minority here, when I say that I'm fine with the actor who currently plays Steven. I think that while he's not the BEST actor in the world, he does have great chemistry with Raphael and really clicks with Liz as a brother and sister duo. I'd be sad to see him go if the show did recast. But I might be the only one lol. 

You're the not only one. I like him too. I don't see the bad acting or whatever it is that makes people hate him. Shrugs.

• Love 3

I agree.

Fallon and Liam is all over Facebook. I'm not sure how they'd work as a couple, if there is enough chemistry/drama to sustain it. But I believe writers messed up with Culhane, he turned Fallon down too many times. I wonder if they'll change the direction of the show and go with the more popular ship?

(edited)

Yeah, Culhane turning Fallon down so many times might have created enough baggage to sink their ship. I completely buy Fallon's feelings for Culhane, I'm just not seeing that much interest from his side.

I just hate seeing Fallon get rejected when she's letting her walls down and baring her soul to a guy. It's not very much fun.

Blake sucks, so it's fun watching Cristal mess up his stuff. I also enjoy Fallon in CEO mode. Oh, they're dismantling the old Dynasty to make a new Dynasty, I see what you're no-so-subtly hinting at, show. No wonder they apparently burned through (no pun intended) most of the old Dynasty plots already. Anything can happen when they come back!

16 hours ago, Carmen Sandiego said:

in one episode Fallon was gambling with an old perverted sugar daddy  who wanted to sleep with her and the writing was made so Fallon looked superwoman tough and Monica was the paniky protective friend.

Didn't it turn out Monica was putting on an act to fool the old guy while secretly tipping off Fallon about what cards he had? I thought that was a good episode for Monica, she was standing up for herself and telling it like it is all episode long. Plus she had a decent relatable story about whether her brother and/or her friend deserve any of her help when they were being so terrible.

Edited by Bec
  • Love 2