Type keyword(s) to search

Peggy Carter: S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Founding Mother

I am thrilled that we see Peggy in her own series! Hopefully we see more Mission:Impossible (tv-flavor) stuff with  some cool gadgets than just Commie/Fascist of the Week. I also hope tptb either minimize her love life or integrate it smartly. If Peggy married a Howling Commando, she's not going to be some cliché. She's a tough woman in a tough job and can help found the MCU's (formerly) premiere spy organization- let her get her spy on!

I am not against Daddy Stark showing up and flirting. Peggy lost her heart to Steve Rogers, so I think cute, friendly flirting is all they'll do. Plus, Maria Stark may get an eyebrow raise from Peggy depending on how she's introduced.

All in all, I'm just excited!

• Love 1

Because commercials for this show always show Agent Carter in that red hat, my daughter keeps calling her Agent Carter San Diego and periodically (and randomly) breaks into the theme song "Where in the world is Carter San Diego"

• Love 4

Can I just say I think this show is doing wonders for Peggy Carter as a character.   She is so richly textured and wonderfully realized and relatable.    And this is a character the comics never did anything with, other than be a source of wistful memories for Steve Rogers.

I think she's one of the best down-to-earth heroines to hit the screen.   She was very good in CA but this series as taken it to another level for me.    I find her interesting and rootable in so many aspects but there is also humor in her life.   She doesn't make herself as easy to connect with as Steve Rogers did and  though she seems more jaded, she does share Steve's earnest desire to do good.

And her taking a very public hit in her office (where she's facing a LONG uphill battle) just to put an end to Jarvis's interrogation was a moment where I really took my hat off to her.   We get to see her navigate Jerk Co-Workers, Unfair Bosses, Overly-Strict Land Ladies, and nosey-if well meaning friends.   Adding being woefully underpaid and fighting the forces of evil with such Gusto that ANY Avenger tip their hat to her.   It's easy to see why in the comics, Steve Rogers (even with all he's seen and done) always reflects on how special Peggy was.   IMO she really is.

• Love 7

Peggy looks very, very good with her hair tied back.  I'm just saying.

I legitimately took an involuntary breath when Jarvis opened the door to Peggy with her hair tied back. I don't even know what it was, but she looked spectacular. Perhaps it's just because I've become used to seeing her with the 40s hairstyle, so something just a little different made a big impact. The line "do you have anything you want to tell me?" didn't help, because my reaction was, 'yes. Yes, I'll tell you anything you want to hear.'

Can I just say I think this show is doing wonders for Peggy Carter as a character.   She is so richly textured and wonderfully realized and relatable.    And this is a character the comics never did anything with, other than be a source of wistful memories for Steve Rogers.

I think Peggy in the comics was a product of the time they were written. Women were still very much 'there for the men', and a part of the male heroes' stories. But a guy like Ed Brubaker did really good work with both Sharon Carter and Natasha Romanov, and I think if he or another modern writer ever decided to do a Peggy Carter mini (now there's an idea), it's be a pretty great piece of work for the character.

But this show is just cementing her as an integral piece of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Okay, so they've not had any movies headlined by women, but this is one of the strongest entries into their catalogue, as far as I'm concerned. It hit the ground running and is just speeding up, and so much of that is due to Hayley Atwell's excellent performances, but I think the writers deserve a ton of credit for not being scared that people won't watch a superhero show about a woman. It would have been so easy to make Peggy a sidekick in her own show. Make Jarvis an ex-SIS badass, make Sousa or Thompson a real alpha male detective who takes Peggy under his wing. It would have been the sort of creeping paternalistic approach that you don't quite notice until it's too late.

But no, Peggy Carter is an alpha woman, as I said in the pilot thread, and she's the boss of this show. I just hope it proves to Marvel that, with the right character and the right performer, and good writing, you can do anything you want.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 6

I am loving Peggy carter and I do think she worked really well in the first ca movie, and although I wasn't mad about Natasha in the avengers I completely fell for her in the second ca movie. So something about the way they write the women with Steve Rodgers really works for me I guess!!

• Love 1

I am loving Peggy carter and I do think she worked really well in the first ca movie, and although I wasn't mad about Natasha in the avengers I completely fell for her in the second ca movie. So something about the way they write the women with Steve Rodgers really works for me I guess!!

I found myself completely blindsided when I recently discovered that Peggy Carter has become my favorite character in the MCU and the Cap franchise as my favorite thread. I was a Marvel boy growing up, but Cap was only on my radar in that he was in the Avengers and big events. I didn't dislike the character, but I didn't have a real affinity for him either. I actually really did like Peggy when she'd pop up on the Avengers support team, but if you asked me who my favorite characters were, she wouldn't have come to mind.

Cut to today, where I have a hard time watching Peggy's scene in Winter Solder, not because of Steve's loneliness but because it just tears me up to see Peggy like that. I have to remind myself that she's well into her nineties and has lived a very full life. I just watched the film's commentary, and it seems they went back and forth on Peggy's condition, as she is such an heroic character. As painful as it is to watch, I'm glad they left it in, because it really is a powerful moment. But what I'd give for them to figure out a way to make her young again and see her adventures in the modern MCU (and for her and Steve to finally get their dance).

Edited by kennyab
  • Love 4

Yeah... sorry Sharon*.  But if we found some way to deage Peggy or invoke time travel, I would be perfectly fine with you never appearing in a Captain America movie again.

Also, Hayley Atwell deserves to be a star.

* I always thought it creepy that Cap would eventually date the niece of the woman he loved.

• Love 8

WORD, Mars477.  Exactly what you said!

In my heart of hearts, I believe that Peggy and Cap got together in an alternate universe and lived happily ever after.  Including producing a new generation of heroes and heroines, assuming that's what they both wanted.  <3

• Love 1

But seriously is there ANY way they can bring Peggy in her youth into the modern MCU? Sharon has been big time MEH to me. No one compares to Peggy.

Go see Captain America The Winter Soldier

But seriously is there ANY way they can bring Peggy in her youth into the modern MCU? Sharon has been big time MEH to me. No one compares to Peggy.

What we need is a rupture in the space-time continuum.  Ooops, sorry, wrong universe. :)  But it would be awesome!

I wonder what younger Peggy would make of modern-day America?  It would probably be wonderful for her in some respects.  Actually respected for her abilities?  Had people taking her seriously, rather than making her take their lunch orders?

She's probably end up running the country, not just S.H.I.E.L.D.  Peggy for President!

Go see Captain America The Winter Soldier

I believe they saw Captain America: TWS, that's the only place Sharon Carter showed up. Peggy also wasn't young in the modern day, she was a movie in a museum and 90 years old.

I think they wanted some kind of Time Travel bringing past young Peggy into the modern day to be with Steve again. 

I feel the same way.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spoiler ahead (from the first half of this season):

If Reinhardt/Whitehall could be young again (albeit through awful means), why not Peggy?

I know it's wishful thinking, but a girl can dream.

Edited by Leia1979

Cut to today, where I have a hard time watching Peggy's scene in Winter Solder, not because of Steve's loneliness but because it just tears me up to see Peggy like that.

I completely agree. I really can't watch that scene anymore now that I "know her". It's honestly one of the most heartbreaking things I've seen a movie in a long time. 

Haley Atwell has a cameo in Ant-Man, in a scene set in 1989, with a young Hank Pym (Michael Douglas de-aged magically) and John Slattery as Howard Stark.

I'm glad she keeps popping up throughout the MCU universe.

• Love 5

The first time seems weird and overly personal, even if they are not real people. Its bad enough we have to feel Captain Rogers pain at dealing with her Alzheimer's.

I can see shorts of Agent Carter inserted into the Agents Of SHIELD and listen to Fritz with his "that's Inhuman" chant when he reads the after action reports of her pistol marksmanship or her Wolverine or Deadpool like healing factor after surviving being impaled and coming back a few days later to beat down some Mafia goons.

The other thing I loved about the movie:

Spoiler

Granted, it was spoken by Sharon in her eulogy, but Peggy had the famous "no, YOU move" speech.  (In the comics, Cap gave that speech to Spiderman.)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, anna0852 said:

No! I don't know. Explain please!

Spoiler

That Cap's new best girl is also Agent Carter. When they didn't mention if she was really Sharon, some people thought that 13 might be someone else. I was glad that Sharon seemed so sensible about everything, doesn't make a fuss and just gets on with it. She seems as close to what Peggy would have been like in the 21st century as possible.

42 minutes ago, Lebanna said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That Cap's new best girl is also Agent Carter. When they didn't mention if she was really Sharon, some people thought that 13 might be someone else. I was glad that Sharon seemed so sensible about everything, doesn't make a fuss and just gets on with it. She seems as close to what Peggy would have been like in the 21st century as possible.

Ah, so

Spoiler

Sharon is related to Peggy. Is she a niece like we thought?

21 hours ago, Lebanna said:

Yes, I saw that. I thought it was very touching. And I liked that they went through with the 'legacy' - if you get my meaning.

Oh I thought you meant legacy because of how her words inspired Cap. Not too impressed with Sharon but I am feeling bad because a lot of it is left over loathing from watching Rebecca on Brother & Sisters.

I loved her words,  but I also felt like he'd have done what he did anyway. He didn't need to hear it, because I think Cap would know what Peggy's views on this would have been. That's just who they are - the thing I loved about those two is how they basically saw the word in a very similar way that other people don't quite get, but they did also inspire each other to believe in their ideals and be stubborn about them. So yes, it was a very nice moment - and I liked that Peggy got to stick her oar in one last time.

• Love 3
(edited)

Man, I really would love for one more Marvel One Shot with Peggy. I would love to see a flash forward of her with Sharon, so that they can explore their relationship and expand Sharon's character. (Yes, I'm pretty sure that she's her grandniece but they need to explain that more after that confusing Michael flashback...personally, I'm going to fanwank that Michael just had a wife and kid and the show was too lazy to show them)

Either that or one more season of Agent Carter that does the same!

But yeah that scene in Civil War was devastating. On the other hand

dying in your sleep at 95 is a pretty good way to go. Atta girl, Peg

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, benteen said:

I can see Michael having a wartime bride but I don't buy that Sharon is Peggy's niece and not her grandniece.

I'm pretty sure she would be Peggy's grandniece but Sharon just refers to her as Aunt Peggy.   Peggy's death was mentioned on Agents of Shield.  The article they showed mentioned her brother, husband, and two kids but said nothing about nieces or nephews.  It didn't even mention her brother was married, so no confirmation on whether he had a war time bride.

(edited)

It's most likely that Peggy was her Great Aunt. I had a Great Aunt and never put the "Great" in front of it when speaking about her.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

It's most likely that Peggy was her Great Aunt. I had a Great Aunt and never called put the "Great" in front of it when speaking about her.

Ditto with me and my great uncle.

You've also got to give Sharon credit for not telling Peggy about being assigned to Steve; it wouldn't be fair to put her in the middle of her mission...not to mention that by then, it's doubtful that Peggy COULD have kept a secret, given how her mind was starting to go in Winter Soldier.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ditto with me and my great uncle.

You've also got to give Sharon credit for not telling Peggy about being assigned to Steve; it wouldn't be fair to put her in the middle of her mission...not to mention that by then, it's doubtful that Peggy COULD have kept a secret, given how her mind was starting to go in Winter Soldier.

That is something that has occurred to me before. What happens when someone with high security clearance and knowledge of Very Secret Things develops dementia? How is that handled to maintain national security/secrecy?

• Love 2

That is something that has occurred to me before. What happens when someone with high security clearance and knowledge of Very Secret Things develops dementia? How is that handled to maintain national security/secrecy?

My guess is that they make sure that the person only associates with trusted, cleared people.  I'm not sure how un-cleared family members would be handled.  Or else, they work hard to make sure that whatever that person knows is now irrelevant.

I'm sad that they didn't somehow invent time travel so Peggy and Cap could be together.

• Love 3