Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2018

GaT
  • Start Topic

I just realized this is March & we're still posting in the 2017 thread, so I made one for 2018. I couldn't think of a catchy title, so if anybody thinks one up, feel free to have the mod change this one.

Edited by GaT

I've watched a handful of this year's so far as background TV and to see the baskets and bits of the judges eating part, and I am NOT digging the Amanda "I have got to see what he's working on!" thing. It's one thing when they do that in a 6-hour cake decorating show when the contestants have 3 assistants - they're hard at work but you can't rush for 6 hours straight anyway. They have TWENTY minutes to make something, every second counts so shut up and stay at your table.

• Love 2

I've said the same thing but I can't remember which thread.  It's like they're taking a page from the BBF playbook.  I don't like it in BBF and I like it even less in Chopped for the same reason - the chefs are under enough pressure from the challenge itself and the time.  

I looked away for a minute tonight and missed whatever the woman who eventually won did with her fish to make Amanda squeal.  When I looked back, Chris was behind her station adding to her stress.  The male chef who advanced to the dessert round did seem to be a very good cook but he was so arrogant that I was very happy to see him lose.  She seemed like a very nice person.

2 hours ago, mlp said:

I looked away for a minute tonight and missed whatever the woman who eventually won did with her fish to make Amanda squeal.  When I looked back, Chris was behind her station adding to her stress.  The male chef who advanced to the dessert round did seem to be a very good cook but he was so arrogant that I was very happy to see him lose.  She seemed like a very nice person.

The woman who won had no idea what caul fat was. I have trouble making boiling water, & I know what caul fat is. What kind of chef is that?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mlp said:

I agree with everything you said.  What probably sealed the male chef's fate was waltzing off for a beer to psych out his competitors while he could have been paying more attention to his presentation.  The judges hate that kind of crap.

I had to play back Amanda's squeal - I think after puzzling over what Jennifer was doing with the whole fish in the sauce pan, she was shocked when Jennifer dumped the fish into a stew pot.

I'm glad Jennifer won.  Meals-on-Wheels (or the equivalent) is wonderful for shut-ins.  In addition to the food requirements, it gives them something to look forward to every day.  Speaking from experience with a family member 3000 miles away who wanted to stay in her home and maintain her independence.

• Love 1

I saw Amanda's eyes light up when Jennifer described her Joy truck.  I know Amanda is involved with God's Love We Deliver and it's important to her.  (I always wonder who came up with GLWD as a name.  It's totally awkward.)

• Love 2
On 3/28/2018 at 5:14 AM, spiderpig said:

The male chef who advanced to the dessert round did seem to be a very good cook but he was so arrogant that I was very happy to see him lose.  She seemed like a very nice person.

The eventual winner did seem like a nice , humble person... along with the first cheftestant kicked off the show. The lady from Harlem is probably nice too. But her bragging in the stew room that she was going to take it all was off-putting... even though I know she was trying to out-psyche cocky beer drinking chef. She did take getting chopped well... so I give her credit for that. So glad arrogant chef lost... I don't care how good he is. His arrogance and lack of humility bugged me.

• Love 1

I am back to watching after a break. All I had on my DVR are re runs, I think.  What season are we on?  Nothing posted here is familiar.  

I don't know the number of the new season - in the neighborhood of 2700 maybe if I remember what I saw on the FN listing yesterday.  There was a new episode on last night at 9 Central.  You can tell that a show is new because, for the first time, one of the judges is now walking into the cooking area and talking to the chefs while they work a la BBF.  I hate that.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:45 AM, mlp said:

You can tell that a show is new because, for the first time, one of the judges is now walking into the cooking area and talking to the chefs while they work a la BBF.  I hate that.

Gimmicks, gimmicks, gimmicks.  I don't know how they are maintaining their ratings.  I remember a time when many folks rushed to come here each week to talk about the latest episode.  Long gone.  Here it is five months into 2018 and I'm the 16th post. 

• Love 2

I haven't watched in awhile either.  I can't tell what is a rerun or new because they have made no effort to change the set in any way.  It is horrible and depressing so when I tune in now rarely watch an entire show.   I have not seen Martha.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I saw that too and I am looking forward to Martha, I like her a lot. I find it sweet that she has a show with Snoop Dog and considers him a friend.  I have yet to see that show though. 

That set needs to be white and bright with blue accents and a fake window  ehind the judges to open it up. I am willing to bet there is not one professional kitchen in brown and orange anywhere.  

Edited by Wings
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

No cutesy theme, no kids/grammas/firefighters, no judges roaming behind the workstations...

But a smug, arrogant, mustachioed hipster tool [who, mercifully, went out in round 2].  Just like old times.  

• Love 3

I'm on the southern ingredients in every round one, and the first round has black eyed peas, hush puppies batter, catfish, and bananas. That's a concept I'm not sure I've seen much before (and I've watched almost all the episodes), where three of the ingredients are basically handed to you in a platter, and the fourth is totally opposite all of those.

I love seeing Maneet explain what hush puppies are like she's ever made or eaten one.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2018 at 6:16 AM, spiderpig said:

Finally - a new episode (May 15) in the original format.  No cutesy theme, no kids/grammas/firefighters, no judges roaming behind the workstations...

I may have seen it, I don’t know!  I have to change to record only first run.  I have kept it in ‘all’ so when I wake up at 3:44 as I did just did, I have cooking competitions to watch.   Someone has to start making more of them.   I don’t bake so those are not that interesting to me though I do watch the one with Scott as the host.  And that is only because I have become a fan because he moved to Phoenix and opened a fabulous restaurant near me!  I brake for good food. 

(edited)

If Martha has any sense, if Trump offers her a pardon, she should turn it down. You don't have to accept pardons.

ETA: I'm saying this from a business perspective, nothing to do with politics.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

I'm not a fan of Martha Stewart but she's a lot more qualified to be a judge than the TV personalities and sports figures they've had on from time to time.  Also, like her or not, she's accomplished and successful so I have to give her credit.  What always amazes me is how young she looks.  She's pushing 80 but I'd never guess that from just looking at her.

• Love 3
On 5/31/2018 at 12:18 PM, bad things are bad said:

Whereas I will gladly watch Martha. Anyone who can be pals with Snoop Dog is OK by me.

I think her time in the big house toned down a great deal of her attitude and she can be pretty funny as well as knowledgeable

I have to say I couldn't stand Martha in her TV salad days, but her stint in the chokey seems to  have mellowed her out tremendously.  

I loved the poncho she wore on her release.

• Love 2

I'm fired up for June 5, just so they'll STOP. AIRING. THE. GD. MARTHA. STEWART. AD. WITH. THAT. STUPID. RAP. SONG. EVERY. FIVE. SECONDS.

"I'll be the judge of that."

Yeah, you do that.  Maybe they can put Alex, Martha and LBH all on the same show, just to get all the smug, condescending bitchiness on the same dais.

• Love 5
On 6/1/2018 at 7:44 PM, Tyrone Biggums said:

I'm fired up for June 5, just so they'll STOP. AIRING. THE. GD. MARTHA. STEWART. AD. WITH. THAT. STUPID. RAP. SONG. EVERY. FIVE. SECONDS.

OMFG. That jingle/"song"/sound assault is HORRIBLE! I'm a Grammy-voter musician who has listened to rap music cause I can vote in that category -- kind of astonishing that a middleaged white lady gets some of it, I can vote on it so went there -- but holy cow that is some bad, annoying shiz. The poor girl only knows one note, and has zero rhythm. Also, what audience are they trying to attract with that? I get that Martha Stewart has the cooking show with Snoop (and they can tell prison stories together) but it seems very fabricated and is going to leave white viewers turning up their noses. There's great rap and this is not it...gonna drive away the core audience. GAH.

• Love 1

Just a random comment for the idiot who said “I’m using agave because I prefer natural sweeteners over sugar.” Where do you think sugar comes from you moron? Have you ever heard of sugar cane?

• Love 10
(edited)

Thank God it's finally June 5 - maybe they'll now stop playing that godawful commercial of Martha "I'll be the judge of THAT".  I've seen it played on Food Network, HGTV and TLC channels.  Enough already!

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

Thank God it's finally June 5 - maybe they'll now stop playing that godawful commercial of Martha "I'll be the judge of THAT".

I notice they've been cutting off the first "rap" portion of it. Bad rap won't attract black viewers, and rap in general won't attract middleaged white audiences.  But I must say, Martha looks amazing...she's 76!

• Love 1
On 5/31/2018 at 3:01 PM, nitrofishblue said:

To be honest I don't mind Martha. Hope she takes Alex's place. That is o me judge I can't stand.

I like Alex, replace Aaron.  :)

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I commented on Geoffrey Zacharian’s post on FB this morning about looking foward to seeing Martha, and he replied that I will love her in this role.

I got a little verklempt.

Same here! He replied to one of my FB posts and I immediately turned into a 14 year old fangirl!

• Love 2

Ok, I thought that was fun.  Amazzzzing ingredients.  Martha was exactly as I expected her to be.  And I’m pleased with who won.  I’ll tune in weekly for this version with Martha, the Queen.

• Love 2

I thought Martha was just fine, especially after watching Alex in the previous hour where she was especially unpleasant.  I quite enjoyed her.  I was surprised that the woman who cooked her truffles in the second round and was eliminated wasn't sent home after the first round for "disrespecting" the iberico ham.  Her dish looked like liver paté soup.

In the show with the pastry chefs, Alex seemed to go out of her way to be nastily critical and somewhat hypocritical too.  She made a fuss about the one woman not using the worms even though contestants have always been allowed to use a portion of a mystery basket ingredient.  

• Love 1

“I like to wear pearls when I make dinner, put on lipstick and heels and swish around.”  Um, okay.  You do you, but seriously?  Liking heels, pearls, and lipstick in general doesn’t even raise one of my eyebrows, even though I only like heels (and certain colors of freshwater pearls).  But donning a costume to cook?  Get out.

• Love 3

I'm gonna be the turd in the punch bowl here, apparently, but God, what a chore it was to watch that show.

Between the high-priced ingredients and Martha's sneering, arrogant ass (worse than Conant, Zakarian or Alex have EVER been), it was like having to watch that stupid commercial of hers for 60 minutes.

Credit to Chopped, though.  It took them 35-ish "seasons" to fully jump the shark.

• Love 7