Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2018

GaT
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, nitrofishblue said:

She was more boring than normal. Those four chefs were the weakest ones I have seen in quite some time. Not an outstanding chef among them.

Agreed.  The baskets were tough, but didn't seem impossible.

• Love 1

Martha was more tolerable than usual - except for the chopsticks.  What exactly is the point of eating Spam with chopsticks?  And why is Geoffrey doing the same?  Maybe he's just keeping her company but it makes him look effete.  I'm glad Chris Santos has more sense.

Once again they sent someone, Ted this time, behind the work stations to bother the cooks while they're in a hurry and under pressure.  I assume that FN is trying to add some variety to the show but that isn't a good way to do it.  I hate it.  I'd be a lot happier if they added another ice cream machine and another fryer.  Chopped is supposed to be a cooking competition, not a challenge to see who can get to the equipment first.

• Love 4

I was very glad that they chopped the woman who went out first tonight.  She tasted her chayote salad with a big spoon and some of the pieces fell out of her mouth back into the bowl.  Then she put the spoon back in the bowl.  The camera caught it but the judges didn't say anything about it.  They did chop her for what sounded like a weak reason so I wondered if they saw it and decided not to mention it on TV.  I was also glad to see the guy with the gross lip piercing leave so I didn't have to look at him any more.  The last two guys were both fine but I liked the little guy with the big smile better so I was glad he won.

• Love 2

@mlp I was watching this morning and noticed the same thing you did.

8 hours ago, mlp said:

.  She tasted her chayote salad with a big spoon and some of the pieces fell out of her mouth back into the bowl.  Then she put the spoon back in the bowl.  The camera caught it but the judges didn't say anything about it. 

I saw that she runs a bunch of restaurants in the phoenix/Scottsdale area, and was looking her up, since we plan to visit that area.  I thought it would be cool to go to a restaurant run by a chef I saw on tv.

Then I saw her taste that salad, and was grossed out. I replayed it a few times to make sure that was what I really saw. Yes, she was mixing the salad, and tasted from the mixing spoon. Pieces fell out, back into the bowl as she was tasting. And she continued to mix with the same spoon. There is no way the judges missed it, since it was on camera. 

I wondered if they thought pointing it out might damage her reputation,  so they showed it without comment, and chopped her for something else.

Needless to say, I'm not planning to eat at her restaurant. 

I liked the guy who won, mostly because he seemed to  be having so much fun.

• Love 2

I would think Martha wouldn’t miss the opportunity to bitch at someone for having food fall from their mouth back into the bowl. Did they taste what she served? If so, they may have missed it and it wasn’t until the final tape was edited that anyone noticed. 

In the past, anytime a chef did something unsanitary, they always pointed it out and refused to taste their dish.

4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I would think Martha wouldn’t miss the opportunity to bitch at someone for having food fall from their mouth back into the bowl. Did they taste what she served? If so, they may have missed it and it wasn’t until the final tape was edited that anyone noticed. 

In the past, anytime a chef did something unsanitary, they always pointed it out and refused to taste their dish.

Martha wasn't there.

The episode was called "tacos and tequila", I'm pretty sure.

It wasn't exactly like the food fell out of her mouth. More like she hurriedly tasted salad from a large spoon, and some piece went in her mouth, some fell into the bowl, and some stayed on the spoon. Definitely unsanitary, the kind of thing you'd only do if you were cooking for yourself.

I was surprised that they didn't say anything, as people have been called out for much less.

• Love 1

Dang it!! I watched last week's episode and Mahhhhtha wasn't there, so I thought we'd seen the last of her. 

Nope. Not only is she back, avec chopsticks, but Zacharian is doing the chopsticks thing, too. Is ICAG the only sane one left?

Buh-bye. 

Those chopsticks need to go. Both of them looked so stupid eating tacos w/chopsticks.

And fried won tons too.  Geeesh.  They both looked ridiculous doing that.  I'll bet Ted has to bite his tongue to keep a straight face.

• Love 1

Wow, I learned something today: I honestly didn’t know that freshwater fish must be cooked. I eat a lot of sushi and never really gave it much thought, but then it’s always ocean fish. I felt sorry for her because that bruschetta really did look delicious.

I didn't know that either. I do always love when the judges can't eat any of the food and they just sort of stare at it and act like it's radioactive or something. I was disappointed with who won. I can't even remember his name, but I thought he was way too pretentious.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Wow, I learned something today: I honestly didn’t know that freshwater fish must be cooked.

I learned that on Top Chef.  I don't eat much fish, and I don't like sushi and am only a mild fan of ceviche, so I had no reason to know it.  Someone who cooks professionally, though?  Having learned it on TC, when she announced what she was going to make, I actually gasped.  Bye bye.  Is she the one who's a private chef (meaning there isn't a kitchen full of people who could stop her)?  Good for her clients that now she knows.

• Love 1

I was rooting against the guy who won.  Arrogance is part of the game but he was more than I could take and was so very pleased with himself. 

Chef Uncooked Freshwaterfish won't be making that mistake again.  Her appetizer did look delicious however I did not agree with her argument that she should advance to another round and she was the correct choice for elimination in round 1. 

• Love 1

I rather liked the guy who won.  In fact, I was hoping he would.  I guess I'm used to chefs being arrogant and he seemed subdued compared to many of them.  

I was astonished that none of the judges mentioned during judging that pouring fire into a trash container might be a safety issue.  That alone should have got her chopped even without the serious fish mistake.  If I lived in her area and I wanted to hire a private chef for some reason,  I wouldn't even consider her after seeing all that.

• Love 2

So we can all agree that Food Network is scraping the actual bottom of the champions barrel when a CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT!!!!! has someone forget an ingredient and still not be a lock for elimination, right?

I mean, that woman actually tried to throw fire in the garbage. Who was she competing against in her first episode, Albert Fish?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, snarkylady said:

Chef Uncooked Freshwaterfish won't be making that mistake again.  Her appetizer did look delicious however I did not agree with her argument that she should advance to another round and she was the correct choice for elimination in round 1. 

I’ve already deleted it so can’t check, but didn’t she say something along the lines of how it wouldn’t be fair if she advanced, since the judges couldn’t taste her food? Alex praised her for saying that, I thought.

I can’t believe I forgot about the fire in the garbage (I do watch this while I’m getting ready for work, though, so I was multi-tasking). I was yelling at her for that and agree that she actually did deserve to be cut just for safety reasons. 

3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I’ve already deleted it so can’t check, but didn’t she say something along the lines of how it wouldn’t be fair if she advanced, since the judges couldn’t taste her food? Alex praised her for saying that

Is that what she said?  Makes more sense than what I thought I heard.

7 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I’ve already deleted it so can’t check, but didn’t she say something along the lines of how it wouldn’t be fair if she advanced, since the judges couldn’t taste her food? Alex praised her for saying that, I thought.

Yes, she said something like that to the judges, and one of them said he/she (he, I think, but I'm not sure) liked her even more now.  I can't remember if she said anything different during her post-elimination interview.

I loved this week’s group of champions. I don’t think I’ve ever heard all three of the eliminated contestants wish the others such luck (“I hope someone from this group wins it,” “I hope one of you wins,” “I hope she wins” and even the winner telling the runner-up what an honor it was to compete against him). I hope she wins the $50K because without tasting the food, all of those dishes looked like something I’d actually want to eat, and that never happens with this show.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this week's competition.  I thought all four of the chefs were head and shoulders above all of the contestants on week 1.  They were all likable too.  I won't know who I want to root for during the final episode until I see the rest of the semis.  

I never miss an episode of Chopped but, so far, I remember very few of the finalists.  That seems odd to me because there have been many chefs I recognize even years later if I see them again.  

• Love 3
On 10/18/2018 at 12:04 PM, mlp said:

I never miss an episode of Chopped but, so far, I remember very few of the finalists.  That seems odd to me because there have been many chefs I recognize even years later if I see them again.  

I thought it was just me.  I remembered Lynette Mosher but she's the only one so far.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I thought it was just me.  I remembered Lynette Mosher but she's the only one so far.

I remember quite a few... Ric Orlando, cowboy chef Kent Rollins, Chris Coombs, Danushka (who could forget her?), Katie Rosenhouse (fantastic pastry chef), Alina Eisenhauer (another great pastry chef), Matthew Zappoli, Diane DiMeo, Joe Dobias, Marc Bynum, Siggy (can’t remember her last name), Michelle Ragussis, Madison Cowan (loved him!), Yoanne Magris, and probably a lot more I am forgetting.

ETA Bruce Kalman, one of my favorite chefs. Such a nice guy!

Edited by cooksdelight

I remember most of those above and many more but none of them have been in the current tournament.  Most in the current competition don't even look familiar to me.

• Love 2

I haven't watched Chopped regularly in quite a while but since nothing exciting was on, I saw the last couple rounds of this tournament. I was truly happy to see Andrina win!!! I felt as though her money was going to help a whole family get away from a horrible life. I don't think I have ever seen so many tears at the end of a round as last night. A really feel good moment! And on top of that, some really great cooking. It felt as though the judges had to nit pick to find something wrong with their dishes!

• Love 2

Goat wouldn't be my cup of tea but both of those women came from cultures where goat is commonly eaten.  My daughter-in-law is from Mexico and she cooks goat so my grandchildren in California grew up eating it.  They think it's odd that I've never eaten it (and have no intention of eating it either).  

Goat is really delicious, and a very large portion of the world eats it, particularly in India and the Middle East.  The first time I had it was in Jamaican food -- goat curry.  It's chewy and gamier than lamb but oh so good.

5 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Goat is really delicious, and a very large portion of the world eats it, particularly in India and the Middle East.  The first time I had it was in Jamaican food -- goat curry.  It's chewy and gamier than lamb but oh so good.

I had grilled goat in Al ‘Ain (near Abu Dhabi). The guys had marinated it and just threw it on the coals from a bonfire in the dunes. It was one of the tastiest things I’ve ever eaten (and I don’t like lamb). I wanted to try both of the stews the female chefs made. 

I enjoyed the episode and was delighted that Amanda won.  I've always liked her and I know she is actively involved in her charity and it means a lot to her.  I liked her brother too.

• Love 4

Is that the first time Maneet has been in the kitchen? She's such a tough judge I always wanted to see her compete and I wasn't disappointed. This only made me love her move. Her food was gorgeous and looked delicious. I feel like she would've won, but they felt Amanda deserved it more since she always loses. Their knocking of the raspberries in her dessert rang false to me. I thought her dessert looked amazing.

• Love 2