Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Where the Night Goes

bilgistic

Deacon and Jessie's relationship deepens. Darius wants Juliette to get more involved in the Movement while Avery objects. Gunnar, Will and Avery wanted a female vocalist for the group. Maddie is the subject of a song by Jonah's ex.

Edited by bilgistic

I had a hard time believing he was so self conscious buying condoms.  He and Rayna were not married that long.  This is a guy who was introduced as hooking up with Juliet in the past.  He may not have purchased condoms recently but in his adult life, he has done it plenty.

Juliet going to Bolivia was predictable. I can't believe they felt it was more important to have her reveal her realization to Darius on screen and Avery off screen.

• Love 6

I'm very, very tired of Juliette's storyline. I'm very sympathetic toward her, but she consistently pushes away the people who support her, namely Avery. So, bye! Go run away with the cult. Let Avery and Cadence have a nice, drama-free life.

I love Deacon/Charles Easton. He's the best thing on this show, by far. I cried a little for him.

Why didn't Daphne call anyone to tell them she was sent home from the sleepover?

No horse therapy with Scarlett this week.

How did the new female band member learn all those songs in one afternoon?

• Love 5

I don't like them adding a girl singer to the band largely because I fear it ends with Avery getting pushed out/bowing out the way it happened with the exes.   That said, girl could sing!   

Jules leaves Cadence and Avery again because of course she does.  I know I should be supportive of her.  I feel terrible for her and what she's learned.  But dude coming home, sleeping with Avery, and taking off without a word.   So textbook Juliette.

Not quite as textbook Juliette as forgetting Avery had a gig, because that is the classic Juliette... but still.    

I really hope this ends with Darius trying so hard to make Juliette see Avery as a user that Juliette is like, "no, dude.... no... seriously.   This Darius guy is whack."   Because if ends with Avery having to give up his band/tour/producing gig (as it always does) you will hear me scream from overhear.   

I don't think Deacon was as embarrassed about buying condoms in theory as he was that he's a freaking celebrity, man.  People are going to know what he's up to\.  People are going to know that he's moving on from Rayna even before he's sure that he's ready to move on from Rayna.  

I am so whatever about Maddie's boyfriend that I miss the last boyfriend.  That's how bad it is.   

Yeah, I got nothing... other than I need more of the unnamed Avery/Will/Gunner band and I liked the girl fine but not so much that I want to see less of Will and Avery.... and I guess Gunner.

• Love 8

Seriously, what is the point of this cult story? To make us hate Juliette again? Also.. this is literally a retread of her arc from two seasons ago.. only now it’s a cult and not depression that’s taking her away from her family. Seriously. 

Deacons story was good. 

I don’t know. This last season is just kind of meh. I mean I remember when the show was ending on ABC and I hated the stories with a firely passion but at least it got emotion or of me.  This is just so not the show I signed up for.

• Love 3

The schmaltzy, sickenly “I have feelings” of so many of the characters here is getting annoying.  Deacon crying again?  Juliette’s mother back again?  Scarlett and her goody two-shoes (thankfully absent this week).  

Avery should call it quits with Juliette.  She only wants him to validate her life.  She gives zero concern to his needs.  She needs a more selfish guy (perhaps the old selfish Avery who was envious of Scarlett’s success?)  Speaking of the old Avery, why do they turn every guy on this show into a bleeding heart, sappy pile of feelings?

• Love 1

Though these show runners have made me want to throw something at my tv at times, I thought the Deacon/Jessie scene was really well done.  Kudos to both the actors, esp. Chip Esten for a realistically showing what 'moving on' can look like after that kind of loss. 

I appreciate that Jessie is so supportive of Deacon, knowing that he has to go through all these feelings to be able to move on and helping him to do that.  Interestingly, when it's Deacon in pain, she is strong and steps up to be what he needs; yet once he levels out, she herself is very insecure in whether this should all happen or if she is the right person for him to move on with.   

Don't really watch this show thinking about what I want to happen.  Just going along for the ride.  But, please, Gunnar, do not make moves on the new singer!  Be a grownup, recognize that y'all actually have something good, and that it would be unfair to yourself and the rest of the group to go messing around at work.  Most importantly, show that you have learned one thing in the last six years!

I confess that I laughed out loud at Deacon and Maddie coming home at the same time.   

• Love 4

I like the Juliette storyline. Its not much Nashville but I like the storyline. Avery will swoop down to South America and save the day. That I want to see. And yes, classic Juliette manipulation . Sleep with Avery and then leave without another word. 

• Love 1

And Juliette had a mother who didn’t put her needs first-does she not see she isn’t putting the needs of Cadence first? Of course Cadence has a father and good babysitters but she needs her mother too! Darius is actually suggesting she rethink if she really wants to be a mother-it’s too late for that. He is seriously creepy and Juliette should be smart enough to see that. 

• Love 7

The Deacon story was really good, and Charles Easton just killed it the whole time. I think his awkwardness about condoms wasn't so much that he was buying them, but because not only he is famous (and people might realize whats going on) but it continues to symbolize him moving on from Rayna, and that clearly is a huge issue for him. He and Jessie seem like they could work well together, but it will definitely be slow going. It seems realistic that it would take awhile to get to the point where a person could move on after such a big loss, and even when they think its possible, they hit a wall. 

The new girl in the unnamed Avery/Gunnar/Will band seems generically nice, but she has a great voice, so I am cool with her sticking around. She seems to work well with the guys, and I always love their scenes together. Plus, its nice to see Avery smiling. Lord knows the poor guy hardly gets to do it at his own house. 

Speaking of, of course Juliette tells Avery how much she needs him, and THEN runs off to Bolivia. Classic Juliette. For as much as she is going on about changing her life, she is basically doing the exact same thing she always does. I feel a lot of sympathy for her, but this is just so repetitive. Juliette is sad, she finds something that makes her happy or fulfilled for three seconds, she pulls away from her real friends and family, then she gets bored or shit goes wrong, and she comes back home. Rinse and repeat forever and ever. Except now, its an inevitably creepy cult. Goody. 

I am happy they gave us a lot of music this week. I can basically gage how much I like an episode of Nashville is by how many songs I get. Usually lots of songs mean better episode.

• Love 5

Avery and Juliette fighting right over Cadence's head was so uncomfortable. I think she is old enough to realize something is wrong. 

Im starting to feel bad for the writers romantic partners because it seems they no almost nothing about healthy normal relationships. Deacon is the only on who seems to be in a sane relationship. Because no we have Maddie and her super weirdo that kinda gives off murder suicide vibes. (I watch to many crime shows)

So Deacon said he wanted a son.  Does the series end with whatshername pregnant or with whatshername dead at the hand of the ex who goes to prison so he adds the boy child to his growing managarie of children?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, notcreative enough said:

Avery and Juliette fighting right over Cadence's head was so uncomfortable. I think she is old enough to realize something is wrong.

That bothered me, too. My parents split when I was five, and one of the few memories I have of my father being at home is of him and my mother arguing at night when I was supposed to be asleep. I guess points for the writers making it realistic, but it's traumatizing for kids.

My father is a deadbeat, but that's another story.

3 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

So Deacon said he wanted a son.  Does the series end with whatshername pregnant or with whatshername dead at the hand of the ex who goes to prison so he adds the boy child to his growing managarie of children?

I took it to mean that he'd welcome Jessie's son into his life. I hope.

5 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Jessie

Jessie!   Seriusly, I don't dislike the character I just have a mental block about her name.   It was my great-grandmother's name... so you think I'd remember it.  Hmmm.

• Love 1

I feel bad for Avery as he has to balance dealing with Juliette's painful revelation off-screen (that was annoying) in an understanding manner, while on the other hand Darius/cult is weird/wrong, and Juliette not really supporting him ever regarding his career and what's going on with his gigs/tour right now. It may make him appear selfish, but I think the character has to be at this point, a healthy selfish, and hopefully they can work it out in final 8 episodes.  I'd hate the show to end with them apart.  Too bad no S7.

18 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Jules leaves Cadence and Avery again because of course she does.

Did Juliette leave Cadence?  When Avery was running around the house looking for her, I could have sworn that all the beds were empty.  I thought she took Cadence with her so he could go on his tour.

... ... ... okay I will admit it, I do not want that new girl in the band! I just want my guys, I thought they sounded perfect together, and their banter continues to be adorable. Sure, maybe I am a little jealous, but the series is ending, and I don't care about the new girl! 

I don't mind seeing Deacon cry again. Awkward... but that seemed true to the measure of his loss. I would not want to be Jessie. They can have a good relationship, but she is right, she will never be the love of Deacon's life.   

• Love 3

Cutest thing this episode was baby Cadence sleeping in bed sideways with an arm over her head. 

Stupidest thing was Juliette again abandoning her family. We saw this a few seasons ago when she came home, made nice, dragged Avery out for a movie photo op and then left her family and phone the next morning. Enough. Avery needs to walk, take the baby and not look back. 

Chip continues to be the best actor on the show. 

Maddie J can go away. And take boy singer with her. Ugh.

Gunner needs to stop sniffing around every single female that crosses his path. And ditch the hat. That's why women don't want him.

• Love 5

Hey show, remember when Juliette was a big time country singer who occasionally, you know, SANG? I read the comments before I saw the show so I thought Juliette went off to do cult work, but I think they just trying to create drama. She probably just went out to buy something for breakfast or something & she'll be back first thing next episode. I can't imagine the show is going to give us scenes of Juliette in Bolivia.

When they were looking for a girl singer, I really thought Scarlett would be brought up. I don't understand why the show is adding new characters when it's almost halfway through it final season?

I am so sick of Maddie plots, & I don't care if she's dating Justin Bieber.

• Love 1

I just can't stand the Maddie story line.  So, Deacon is trying to talk to his daughter and she tells him that he's being judgmental and that they have already been through all of this.  I thought it was a reference to her being emancipated.  No Maddie, he is just trying to talk to you like a father.  I actually want her to crash and burn (if this were real life, no, but as this is fiction, yes).  Instead of being a privileged princess (and, wow, they showed a lot more of their home and its impressiveness) for whom everything always works out, I would like to see her have to struggle and face some consequences.

Loved Daphne in the morning when Deacon and Maddie came home.  "Where were you?....oh, doughnuts..."

How does Jessie support herself?  Alimony and child support?  

9 hours ago, GaT said:

Hey show, remember when Juliette was a big time country singer who occasionally, you know, SANG? I read the comments before I saw the show so I thought Juliette went off to do cult work, but I think they just trying to create drama. She probably just went out to buy something for breakfast or something & she'll be back first thing next episode. I can't imagine the show is going to give us scenes of Juliette in Bolivia.

When they were looking for a girl singer, I really thought Scarlett would be brought up. I don't understand why the show is adding new characters when it's almost halfway through it final season?

I agree with everything you said here.

I think it would be funny if the next ep starts with Avery disappointedly hanging up his phone only to have the next shot be Juliette walking in because she went out for a Starbucks run.

Purple girl sings nice, but it’s too late in the series to start caring about ANOTHER new person.  And yeah, when the trio thought they had exhausted all avenues of  finding a new singer after what seemed to be a half hour of looking, I thought for sure someone would be like “ugh this is hard let’s call Scarlett.”

I do not like Jessie.  She seems very whiny and I don’t think she and Charles have any chemistry at all.  

On an unrelated note, it still amuses me that he was on “Whose Line Is It Anyway”. Like Chip and Deacon could not be further apart in personality.

Why does this Gunnar-Will-Avery group not have a name? They're playing all of these gigs PLUS going out on tour-- how are they being advertised? 

So is Bolivia=Guyana? Will Juliette end up in a Jonestown (Dariustown?) mass suicide?

• Love 1

I just Juliette’s story so odd for the final season. Not only the cult stuff but the sexual assault revelation-which I personally wish they hadn’t done in this final season.

The only story that feels good enough for this final season is Deacon trying to move on and figuring what that means. Everything else just feels like not a good final season arc.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Everything else just feels like not a good final season arc.

From what I heard they didn't know it was the final season until this episode was filming.  I don't know if we'll see any kind of weird u-turn in the stories with last 3 before break, but we definitely should in final 8.  It just sucks thought because from everything I read Nashville helped CMT, but then Nashville got axed because network wants to be more reality-based?  Other than being cheaper, who cares about other people's reality?  I enjoy watching fictional shows personally instead of some taped faux reality show.  

However, not knowing it's final season or not doesn't excuse Darius. Just repetitive and bullshit.  

Edited by sunflower
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, sunflower said:

From what I heard they didn't know it was the final season until this episode was filming.  I don't know if we'll see any kind of weird u-turn in the stories with last 3 before break, but we definitely should in final 8.  It just sucks thought because from everything I read Nashville helped CMT, but then Nashville got axed because network wants to be more reality-based?  Other than being cheaper, who cares about other people's reality?  I enjoy watching fictional shows personally instead of some taped faux reality show.  

However, not knowing it's final season or not doesn't excuse Darius. Just repetitive and bullshit.  

Thanks for the info! I was wondering when they knew it was the final season because a lot of these stories feel like they need more building on in future seasons we won’t get. 

This show is giving me so many flashbacks to the 90210 cult storyline that I'm pretty sure one of the writers must be a fan. This episode was a direct callback to the 90210 ep in which Kelly, after getting fairly involved with the cult, gives in to Brandon's protestations that "it's Valentine's Day!" She sleeps with him for presumably the first time in awhile, but is gone the next morning without any explanation!

If all follows accordingly, we will next see:

- Juliet ditch Avery publicly, in front of the cult members

- A pitch for Juliet's money from the cult leader (which I would guess would be more overt on this show, given Juliet's likely fortune)

- Juliet abandoning something important to her because "her life was taking a different direction." On 90210 it was college; maybe here she will give up music/performing. Kelly's whole issue was that she felt all her value lay in her looks. Juliet seemed to go the same route in this ep with her music/performing being the source of her self-worth.

- Some wacky, over the top custom of the cult. On 90210, younger members married old rich people for the money they brought in.

On the plus side, this show is making it more of a gray area because the cult does seem to be helping Juliet with deeply buried issues that have affected her throughout the entire show. So I actually do give them some credit for making the story not so black and white. But I would be surprised if the show ended with this organization not being completely crazy.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, sunflower said:

From what I heard they didn't know it was the final season until this episode was filming.  I don't know if we'll see any kind of weird u-turn in the stories with last 3 before break, but we definitely should in final 8. 

2 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

On the plus side, this show is making it more of a gray area because the cult does seem to be helping Juliet with deeply buried issues that have affected her throughout the entire show. So I actually do give them some credit for making the story not so black and white. But I would be surprised if the show ended with this organization not being completely crazy.

If they really didn't know the show was cancelled until this episode, I don't see how they can't suddenly have Juliette suddenly realize it's a cult. There's no way they're going to end the series without her going back to being a big star & being a good wife & mother.

But that said, I also didn't believe they would kill off Rayna, so what do I know.

31 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Has she ever been a good wife or mother before?

The brief episodes back on ABC when she came back from treatment, she was trying and the. Then the show got cancelled and she got the cliffhanger of being on a crashing plane. 

Oh, and one last thing: on 90210, Kelly left the cult because she met an ex-cult member whose time in the cult had made him try to kill himself. So maybe an ex-cult member who is disillusioned with Darius will convince Juliet to leave in the end.

I haven't seen a single person say they liked the cult storyline. Not here, not on the Nashville Facebook group, not in reviews. Nowhere. I hate it because it isolates Juliette from the rest of the cast, except for Avery, and it doesn't involve music. Juliette spent five seconds on her career this season and gave up on it. Who is this person? The second half of the season better be about her and her career, imo!

My favorite part of the episodes are the three guys and their band. I'm not wild about the new singer. She has a great voice, but now the focus will be on her, and obviously Gunnar will sleep with her. Did she remind anyone else of that technician that Gunnar had a relationship with? Same sleeveless black tees, same kind of hair. Tall and thin. I just don't want Avery and Will to get pushed out to the sidelines.

I don't mind the Deacon/Jessie storyline, but Jessie kind of annoys me. I'm not sure why. 

I think the writers have reduced the amount of screentime that Maddie and Daphne get as compared to the rest of the cast. Or they annoy me less. I'm not sure. But I could care less about Maddie and yet another boyfriend. Yawn. Why don't the two girls ever sing together, ever? Once again, the show is ignoring music!

A couple of observations. Maddie needs to stop with the fake tan and the bleached hair. She looks about 30 years old. And Avery looks really short when he's next to Will and Gunnar.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, CrystalMoon said:

I haven't seen a single person say they liked the cult storyline. Not here, not on the Nashville Facebook group, not in reviews. Nowhere.

And in an interview with TV line, I think, one of the showrunners noted reaction on Twitter from fans not liking the cult thing, and he was, like, it's more complicated than that because Darius did help Juliette with the reveal of her being raped as a child.  But, there's a tone-deafness in not getting why we don't like the cult on its face, as put eloquently by CrystalMoon above.  It eats into story real estate, the plot's a problem, but eating into the 40+ minutes we get a week is a problem. 

Same thing with intro of new girl, who is fine, but a new person I have to care about who will eat into the 3 guys' time with this story.  And for Avery, the character, and the actor, seemingly, is always pushed to the side, when he is one of the best actors on the show.  At first, I loved him being linked with Juliette, beginning end of S1, but it puts him into a support role and him having to give up his music multiple times.  How does the same thing not happen now?  And due to the backstory created of Juliette being raped as a child, if Avery turns away now, he'll not look so great even though Juliette has screwed him time and again.  

They didn't know S6 was last season when breaking these stories, but they must've had a clue that show wasn't going to run for 8+ or something.  I really believe because new showrunners didn't start until S5, they don't really get how repetitive this stuff is with Juliette.  But, of course, maybe they do since they're looking for basis of her behavior?  I don't know.  At the end of the day, I just don't like the story.  Can't force us.  

Edited by sunflower
  • Love 2
On 2/3/2018 at 5:18 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

The only story that feels good enough for this final season is Deacon trying to move on and figuring what that means. Everything else just feels like not a good final season arc.

THIS! Deacon (and Charles Esten) are the main reason I keep tuning in. For all of this show's flaws this is one story-line they've managed to not completely screw up and make interesting. I went from laughing at Deacon - in the drugstore - to wanting to give him a hug when he broke down with Jessie.

More Will/Gunnar/Avery singing. I'm neutral on Alannah joining the group; it's kind of late to introduce another character isn't it?

The writers have no idea what to do with Maddie or Daphne.

Juliette...*sigh*. I got nothing.This whole story-line is exhausting.

• Love 3

For the first time this season, nothing REALLY made me want to scratch my eyeballs out. It wasn't great but I think the focus and pacing of each storyline was more well balanced. Deacon and Jessie weren't abnormally awkward and uncomfortable for a change and Chip definitely brought his 'A' game; I was genuinely moved. Did anyone else, just for a minute, think that the guys might track down or run into Layla Grant in their quest for female talent? I would have been ok with that possibly, if only to give the character a bit more closure. 

3 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Nooooooo! Anyone but Layla!

LMAO!  Hey, it's been a couple years, maybe she's matured a bit....you know, because new writers. ;) Anyway, we can relax, it didn't happen,lol.

• Love 1

Whoever said that the theory that the show needs to use Hayden sparingly is probably right. I was thinking that too. Even if this season ended up not being the final season, I think it probably would have been Hayden’s?

I think one.. the budget for the show now and for her and two, I just don’t think she’s very much into the show anymore? I was surprised when she came back (and stayed on) when the show was picked up on CMT. Like CB seemed to be, I thought she was kind of over it. 

All the same.. it’s a bad storyline. Aside from the sexual assault revelation (which.. we didn’t really need, if you ask me. We already knew Juliette had encounters with her moms boyfriends at a young age.. we also didn’t need to rehash her moms terrible parenting), this cult story is a retread of when she bailed on Avery and Cadence during her depression. Which was a much better story, terribly sad because it crossed over into HPS real life but a much better and believable story.

• Love 1

Even though this storyline with Juliette has been played before, I really like the "cult" stuff. I find it interesting. Juliette never fully becoming a good person is what keeps her interesting IMHO. Since this is allegedly the last season, Juliette finally can become a good person and it can stick. 

I hate that Jonathan Jackson never seems to get his standalone story because he is SO talented and deserving of it. I would rather him have his own story than see Will sticking himself with steroids. 

Basically, this is the story the writers wanted to tell and I appreciate what they are giving us because we weren't even supposed to get this much. 

• Love 1

So I actually do give them some credit for making the story not so black and white.

I do like that about the cult story, even if we all know it's going to be a cult. Much of what's happened so far was okay -- Juliet figuring things out about herself, and getting over herself by stapling insulation into a house. The Bolivia thing just isn't believable to me though. Only service projects in Bolivia will help her? Faced with leaving Avery and Cadence, you'd think she would have come up with the compromise of doing something in Nashville. Except that this is TV.

I hate Gunnar's hair and hat.