Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Staten Island Fairy

That was fairy weak. And Grace’s dress was very ... shiny.

Did i I miss an episode where they said they were going to be selling these Grace bed covers? And why bother pretending they were on QVC and not have a host? 

• Love 3

I didn’t like this one quite as much as some of the other episodes, but I really liked the lady from QVC. “God, you turn me on.” Lol! Also, Will’s exasperation with her was pretty great. “My penis has done nothing to hurt you!” So funny! 

After all this time, I’m still a sucker for Will and Grace saying the same thing at the same time. They crack me up. 

I enjoyed Jack and his closeted boyfriend if only for the “this is a monologue” line. So perfectly Jack. Lol 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Loved the QVC lady, she reminded me of Brett Butler.

She was fun. "Can you just go to commercial?" "We are the commercial."

Grace's whole "moist" mix up and whatnot reminded me a lot of the "Vitametavegamin" bit from "I Love Lucy". 

2 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

After all this time, I’m still a sucker for Will and Grace saying the same thing at the same time. They crack me up. 

Same. That'd be tough to time just right, I imagine, so kudos to them for pulling that off so well.

I enjoyed Jack and his closeted boyfriend if only for the “this is a monologue” line. So perfectly Jack. Lol 

I liked that, too :D. And it was funny to hear them mention his boyfriend's wife, 'cause she has the same name as me :p.

• Love 3

The more I see the Staten island fairy, the more I notice how hot he is. Jack really hit the jackpot with that one.

I laughed a lot this episode and that's all that matters.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, festivus said:

Loved the QVC lady, she reminded me of Brett Butler.

I was thrilled to see her too.  The actress is Lauren Weedman and I've loved her since Looking.

This may not have been as funny for me as the past few episodes but I still laughed and I feel like this show has found its groove.  I find it enjoyable to watch and have actually started to look forward to it on Thursdays.  I never really did that during its original run.  (That's not to say that the quality is necessarily higher now but rather there was so much Thursday night competition back when it aired that I preferred more.)

I like when Will and Grace say the same thing at the same time.  I also was amused by the "sheet" talk.  Stupidly simple but I liked it.

I like Jack's friend but I couldn't help but feel for the wife which made me like Jack and the boyfriend a little less.  Not cool.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode. Great stuff between Will & Grace, lots of the old chemistry coming back. Jack was awesome as usual. The only wrong note for me was Karen - she seemed a bit off for some reason, though her voiceovers between her and her mother were funny.

• Love 7

I'm always amazed by how the writers - who are capable of incredibly witty dialogue - are suckers for the most painfully obvious puns and jokes about gayness.

"Staten Island Fairy" as a punchline, and the title of the episode? Really?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I was thrilled to see her too.  The actress is Lauren Weedman and I've loved her since Looking.

I knew that I knew her beyond reminding me of Brett Butler! I used to watch that show. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I'm always amazed by how the writers - who are capable of incredibly witty dialogue - are suckers for the most painfully obvious puns and jokes about gayness.

"Staten Island Fairy" as a punchline, and the title of the episode? Really?

Puns are classic Will & Grace.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Grace's whole "moist" mix up and whatnot reminded me a lot of the "Vitametavegamin" bit from "I Love Lucy". 

I'm sure that was 100% intentional since DM still thinks she's the reincarnation or something of Lucille Ball.  She even tried to imitate the face.  I personally don't care that much since I'm not a hard-core LB fan, but it's very noticeable. 

• Love 3

I really liked this one! I enjoyed the Karen flashbacks and the fact that Little Karen had the exact same hairdo. The only bummer was being reminded that Suzanne Pleshette isn't around anymore. 

I cracked up at Jack's glee over the thought of girls burning off their bangs with their flat irons. "They're so devastated!"

You know, honest to God she really did kind of look like Lucille Ball the way she kept looking down at Will with that horrified look on her face every time she screwed up. 

I don't know why Debra Messing continues to allow wardrobe to dress her in maternity clothes though. Yeah, maybe she's not as skinny as she was 11 years ago but that doesn't mean she has to wear muumuus. Jeez. That top she was wearing in the opening scene really did look like a maternity top.

The more I see the Staten island fairy, the more I notice how hot he is. Jack really hit the jackpot with that one.

Co-sign. Remember when Leo fixed Will up with one of his friends for a biking trip and the guy turned out to be really short? Jack referred to him as a "pocket gay," in a convenient traveling size. I'm surprised that hasn't come up WRT his new squeeze.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really liked this one! I enjoyed the Karen flashbacks and the fact that Little Karen had the exact same hairdo.

That actually kind of annoyed me.  I've been watching reruns that air in my area in the afternoon lately, and one thing I've been noticing is that they used to have Karen wear her hair down, rather than in the updos with what appears to be a hairpiece.  Her hair looks much better down, and the hairpiece-looking part looks really messy now compared to when she used to have that hairstyle in the original run, in my opinion.  So with regards to the younger Karen having the same hair as current Karen, they make it seem like she's been doing her hair the same way for decades, even though she actually has had a lot of variety in her hairstyles.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

..... have actually started to look forward to it on Thursdays.....

Only 5 episodes left in the season.  Presumably in late April and May for End of Season Sweeps (?).  Then again, NBC may want to run them right after the Olympics, capitalize on higher viewing levels before DST sets in, and end the season early, like they do with This Is Us.  Still leaves only 5 new shows in a season order of 16 episodes. 

I believe the renewal for the 2018-2019 season is for 13 episodes.  Plus, next season, NBC will not have NFL Thursday Night Football to clutter up the fall.

• Love 1

Not my favorite episode but I still liked it because of the guest stars. I especially like the cop's wife. I also liked Jack's rant at the end about how the boyfriend's friends, family, and wife understood and even throwing him a coming out party.

• Love 1

I thought the interactions between Will and the QVC lady were hilarious!

I loved the running gag where everything he said she interpreted as a reference to Lisa Rinna's Hallmark movie. She never realizes he's not talking about Lisa Rinna. 

• Love 4

Can someone explain this dumbass "only rule of improv" to me?

I thought the whole point of improv was to, you know, improvise.

Why would saying "no" and radically switching gears in a scene be such a major catastrophe?   Isn't the spirit of improv to be able to think on your feet??

• Love 1

The one overriding rule of improv is "Yes, and ..." meaning you agree with your scene partner on who/what/where you are (the 'yes') and you add more to that situation/story to move it forward (the 'and') part.  So if we walk out on stage and I say "Hi, Bob, it's a great day for fishing."  you would not say something like "I'm not Bob" - that would be a "no" or negation.  (Of course, if that does happen, I would roll with it because I would still be "Yes, and"ing and hope for the best.  But it would also be a boring scene as we tread water just establishing who and what we are and what we're doing.)

• Love 10

I still think that "Yes, and" defeats the purpose of true improvisation.

Without trying to torpedo the scene, I could say, "Naah, I don't feel like fishing today.  How about we go bowling?"

That would still allow you an opportunity to respond, and the scene could continue, albeit in a different direction than you were probably anticipating.

You would have to improvise.

Not allowing the "no" restricts the ability of the scene to expand beyond a certain comfort zone.

I'm not trying to be difficult, it just seems counterintuitive to me.

How much background or setup information are you typically given before you start a scene?

On 2/2/2018 at 1:19 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't know why Debra Messing continues to allow wardrobe to dress her in maternity clothes though. Yeah, maybe she's not as skinny as she was 11 years ago but that doesn't mean she has to wear muumuus. Jeez. That top she was wearing in the opening scene really did look like a maternity top.

She has a perfectly nice figure, they just need to stop dressing in either such form fitting head to toe clothes, or these swamping muumuu styles.  Neither of the two extremes are working for her.  Something a good bit more inbetween would suit her much better. 

This for instance: http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/24/debra-messing-triggered-over-new-york-times-piece/  or this one http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Debra+Messing/2017+Summer+TCA+Tour+NBC+Press+Tour+Arrivals/B1yV0uDIUyA

are both great styles for her.  

Edited by kmcarte
9 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I still think that "Yes, and" defeats the purpose of true improvisation.

Without trying to torpedo the scene, I could say, "Naah, I don't feel like fishing today.  How about we go bowling?"

But that is a "Yes, and..."  You're agreeing it's a good day to fish (implicitly), you're agreeing your name is Bob (both are "Yes"es) and saying you prefer bowling ("and"ing - adding more info to the scene).  It's not a great "Yes, and" but you are not denying the reality that your scene partner set up.  The whole concept is actually quite complex.  (And yes, I'm an improvisor.  I even get paid to do it.)

• Love 5

That would still allow you an opportunity to respond, and the scene could continue, albeit in a different direction than you were probably anticipating.

You would have to improvise.

Not allowing the "no" restricts the ability of the scene to expand beyond a certain comfort zone.

Whose comfort zone, though?  Aren't you just moving it from their comfort zone to yours?  If an "improvver" wanted to control all aspects of a scene, then they'd do a one-person show.  "Yes...and" makes an improvver a good scene partner.  Yes and allows you to build into crazy and new areas. 

If all you're doing is rejecting the premise being presented by your partner, then why would they play along with you?  At some point, someone has to "yes and...."  You're improvving off of the stimuli presented.  If you reject it, then you're not really improvising. 

How much background or setup information are you typically given before you start a scene?

It depends on the "game."  Whose Line Is It Anyway? is on YouTube and you can watch the various things they do.  Usually they get some details from the audience that the players have to incorporate.  Or they're given the information from the "moderator." 

• Love 4

I was thrilled to see her too.  The actress is Lauren Weedman and I've loved her since Looking.

That's how I know her! It was driving me crazy. I kept watching her in those scenes, saying to myself, "I know her... how do I know her... I remember really liking her, but in what??" It was Looking, and she was fantastic in it. (Thank you to Kevin and Tara for pointing out that factoid in the review, because up to that point I just could not remember what I'd seen her in and I was going to have to look it up later. LOL.)

The most random things crack me up. When W and G were arguing on the rotating bed, Grace yells "Buckle up!" and Will mimes buckling a belt and goes "Click!" SO funny!

That was probably one of my favorite jokes of the episode. I laughed and then later I was in the kitchen, saying, "Click!" and laughing some more. Heeeee. Thank you, Eric McCormack.

There were a lot of jokes that made me laugh out loud in this one. I liked it.

• Love 3

"Yes...and" makes an improvver a good scene partner.  Yes and allows you to build into crazy and new areas. 

Absolutely. You just have to "go with it." Saying no to something means you're not going with what is offered and that shuts down the pace of everything.

I once auditioned to perform at a summer Renaissance Faire and I think part of the reason I got the job was because of my willingness to go with it, in the moment of the audition, even though the person opposite me did something obnoxious. The group of us auditioning had to play a game called "What are you doing?" in which one person asks another person "What are you doing?" The person answering has to make something up on the spot, like "I'm hog-tying my neighbor" or "Running a marathon" or "Eating a live octopus" or whatever... then the person asking "What are you doing?" has to start miming what the other person said they were doing. Then a new person comes up and asks "What are you doing?" and the person miming has to come up with a new answer, which the new questioner has to start miming, and so on. It's a fast-paced game and can get really silly or crazy depending on the "What are you doing" answer. 

Case in point during my audition, when I asked someone "What are you doing?" he answered "Shoving my head up my ass." Which meant I had to start miming trying to shove my head up my butt. And I had to keep acting that out until the next person came up to ask me "What are you doing?" (so that I could stop miming that and suggest something for them to start miming, while I went back to the end of the line). Only, the rest of the people auditioning thought it was so funny, watching me pretend to contort myself into all sorts of crazy positions as if I were truly trying to shove my head up my own ass, that the next questioner waited FOREVER to come up and ask me "What are you doing?" so that I could finally stop and essentially tag them to do something else. But I couldn't stop until they asked me "What are you doing?" So I had to keep coming up with unusual ways to twist myself, while trying not to glare at the guy who came up with the suggestion. I couldn't say no, I couldn't tell him to come up with something else; I had to go with it. But the people auditioning us seemed to think I was pretty funny in the moment (and a good sport), so I think that counted in my favor when they decided to hire me.  Thank goodness. *GRIN*

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, kmcarte said:

She has a perfectly nice figure, they just need to stop dressing in either such form fitting head to toe clothes, or these swamping muumuu styles.  Neither of the two extremes are working for her.  Something a good bit more inbetween would suit her much better. 

This for instance: http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/24/debra-messing-triggered-over-new-york-times-piece/  or this one http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Debra+Messing/2017+Summer+TCA+Tour+NBC+Press+Tour+Arrivals/B1yV0uDIUyA

IDK why her wardrobe is in question, her IQ should be ferreted out; STAT! She thinks she can do anything; sing, manage, and of course do something live in front of millions of people! She's more disturbed than a Frasier brother! ;-)

• Love 1

Frankly, I'm surprised Will & Grace didn't already have a QVC speech ready, to do together. I imagined they often watched QVC at home and heckled the hosts. Somehow I could have seen them wanting to turn their guest spot into a giant production that they created together, how they could do it better than the others.

For a moment, when Grace pulled out the ear bud and started doing it on her own (before Will jumped on camera), I thought she was starting to get into it and do better. I was hoping we'd see her pull it off. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

For a moment, when Grace pulled out the ear bud and started doing it on her own (before Will jumped on camera), I thought she was starting to get into it and do better. I was hoping we'd see her pull it off. 

I thought that's what they were going for.  She would have been fine winging it, but then Will panicked and ruined it.

• Love 2
On 2/6/2018 at 9:27 AM, kmcarte said:

Thank you for the links. Loved both dresses, especially the floral one. Such a flattering style on not just DM, but nearly everyone!

I'd love the floral print even more as a skirt with a simple, solid colored top. DM used to wear lots of separates, but now it looks like wardrobe thinks all she "can wear" are dresses that don't even look tailored. I liked the dress she wore to Vince's wedding, but the fit still wasn't perfect.

I don't miss the "vintage Grace" style of being able to see her nipples in nearly every episode, but these (mostly) frumpy and unflattering dresses have got to go.

Her makeup also looks really harsh to me this season too. It's as if the makeup dept is overdoing her eye makeup a la Kate & Pippa Middleton. Her hair has typically been a miss with me this season too. I'd love to have them pull it back into a low pony or loose bun - anything other than the big red distraction that's too frizzy & big. I'd love it if she cut it into a lob (not a bob) or tried something shorter with layers to reduce the volume and show off her face.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:56 PM, janie jones said:

That actually kind of annoyed me.  I've been watching reruns that air in my area in the afternoon lately, and one thing I've been noticing is that they used to have Karen wear her hair down, rather than in the updos with what appears to be a hairpiece.  Her hair looks much better down, and the hairpiece-looking part looks really messy now compared to when she used to have that hairstyle in the original run, in my opinion.  So with regards to the younger Karen having the same hair as current Karen, they make it seem like she's been doing her hair the same way for decades, even though she actually has had a lot of variety in her hairstyles.

I hate the wig and how they keep pretending Karen never changed her hairstyles but Megan Mullany has red hair now and the wig covers that fact up as well as making it easy for brand recognition.

Edited by Lilacly
On 2/24/2018 at 3:47 AM, Lilacly said:

I hate the wig and how they keep pretending Karen never changed her hairstyles but Megan Mullany has red hair now and the wig covers that fact up as well as making it easy for brand recognition.

I think they've mixed it up a few times this season. But to me, Karen's signature style is the updo with the messy hairpiece. She often looked messy in the first run of the show - one of my favorite jokes is when Karen is criticizing Grace's hair and Grace comes back with "You should talk, Mulan!" or something like that. It was a pretty bad hairdo, lol.