Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Comrades in Arms

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

An old army buddy and fellow surgeon visits Conrad at the hospital; the team is put to the test when they have to save the life of an uninsured and undocumented patient; Dr. Bell experiments with a new medication for his tremor.

I am annoyed the preview last week made it look like it was all about next week's episode and that the "date" shown didn't happen, I wonder if they are airing the shows out of order or just teasing the previews?  Matt is hawt!

Edited by Jlina

I'm really, really digging this show. Three episodes in, and I do feel like it's a doctor show I haven't seen before. Granted, I only have a handful that I've watched, but I can't recall any hospital drama where we'd have a scene of Dr. Bell and Claire Thorpe discussing the financial repercussions of a patient, and actually trying to find a way to get her surgery without having to spend $2,000,000. It actually allowed for a better understanding of the administration and how they're not all evil people just looking to make a buck. Ok, well besides that new financial administrator who Nic got fired. 

This show is refreshingly realistic. They don't sugar coat things, and people seem to suffer consequences here. Now, Conrad realizes that two wings are going to be understaffed, and after three episodes, I think we'll actually see that unraveling onscreen, even if it's just in the background. 

I like Conrad a tiny bit more this episode, but he's still a bit of an ass at times. I liked his relationship with Warren Christie's character. I also enjoy Mina and her arrogance. It hasn't gone too over the top, which is nice. 

• Love 9

Hey, a mini-Everwood reunion with John Beasley playing the patient Louisa was taking care of before she collapsed.  Even got to act opposite of Emily VanCamp!  I'm all for everyone from that show showing up here at one point (well, I know it would be a snowball chance in hell for Chris Pratt to return to network television at this stage of his career.)

So, Merrin Dungey is playing the CEO of the hospital, who is also about the money, although the episode did do a decent job at explaining why isn't completely black and white, and administrations can have good reasons for keeping an eye on the bottom line.  Of course, one still can't help to wonder how much money is funneled into the paychecks and bonuses for these bigwigs, so I'm still side-eyeing her over blaming Conrad and claiming the hospital will now be understaffed because of him.

Seems like they're toning down Conrad's dickish behavior a bit.  He's even being more civil and, gasp, friendly with Devon now!

Right now, there doesn't seem to be a reason for Moran Atias' character.

Certainly seems like Hunter is up to some shady stuff.

Warren Christie is totally here to create a love triangle, right?

• Love 4

The cast is definitely the selling point of this show. The chemistry is always excellent, and I have no problem believing those people have known and been working together for months or years.

There's a really nice energy between Conrad and Devon now. Add Nic and Mina and it makes a nice Musketeers squad.

Lane is shady but she and Conrad seem to trust each other so there must be a reason for that. Bell was almost human at times, without one of those big "get the violins" moments that annoy me so much on most shows whenever someone happens not to be 100% evil. He fell in love with the technical, not the human side of the job. Consistency, yay!

Bell and Lane tried to get the money, it's obvious they'd have liked it better if they did, but they didn't feel like going against the system at every turn. It makes sense that the older characters are more that way. Either because the system wore them down and they chose to pick their fights (Lane?) either because their temper made them prone to shrug and use it instead (Bell) either because they are/became the representative of the system (the administrator).

LOLed at the guy with his penis implant and loved Nic getting incompetent CUTE fired. There's doing the dirty part of your job, and there's enjoying it a little too much.  I felt she was falling in the second category.

Louisa's case ended a bit to well for her, maybe, but the balance between happy and unhappy endings is OK for now.

Singing guy has a crush on Mina. Cute (on a side note, sing to me when I'm sick and/or in pain, and see me deck you). Conrad's friend has a crush on Nic. Not cute. NO to love triangles, less involving friends, no! I just had to drop Lucifer because of those.

• Love 3

Having worked in HR and in a hospital, with the hoops you have to jump through to get employed, I cannot figure out how an illegal got hired at a hospital. Unless she had fake documentation (which would have to be pretty darn good to fool a seasoned hospital HR person). Most hospitals won't even hire you if you have nicotine in your system now - even if it's from "the patch" in trying to quit. So how could an illegal get all that paperwork submitted? And another thing - that girl does the job my teen son does at the hospital - a transporter - and they are not paid enough to live on their own.

And when those doctors/nurses went directly against orders operating on Luisa, even after they were told not to, wouldn't they be fired? Or at least reprimanded, suspended, etc?

Despite all this, I do enjoy this show and think it will grow to be one of my favorites.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, llewis823 said:

Having worked in HR and in a hospital, with the hoops you have to jump through to get employed, I cannot figure out how an illegal got hired at a hospital. Unless she had fake documentation (which would have to be pretty darn good to fool a seasoned hospital HR person). Most hospitals won't even hire you if you have nicotine in your system now - even if it's from "the patch" in trying to quit. So how could an illegal get all that paperwork submitted? And another thing - that girl does the job my teen son does at the hospital - a transporter - and they are not paid enough to live on their own.

And when those doctors/nurses went directly against orders operating on Luisa, even after they were told not to, wouldn't they be fired? Or at least reprimanded, suspended, etc?

Despite all this, I do enjoy this show and think it will grow to be one of my favorites.

also pretty sure that ordering unnecessary tests and up-coding is illegal, AND MRI machines are always magnetized (per our annual training, there are 4 zones ranging from not magnetized at all to "don't go in there at any time").  That penile implant would have exploded already.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, themadman said:

I'm not a doctor, but the user reviews on IMBD are full of how the medicine on this show is complete bullshit.

They've spammed internet with that. IMBD, boards, Facebook and twitter. If you look to the IMDB ratings you'll find out that the show got high ratings (between 10 and 7) and then there's a bunch who voted 1. And they did the same on the Facebook page where 1100 out of 1400 people gave 5 stars to the show but a bunch of people were constantly complained there about medical accuracy. On on tv time the show got a 8.6 out of 10.  Fortunately they spare tvtime.  But we got it. They hate the show. I don't get why they hate this and not the other medical dramas which are equally inaccurate.  I don't care because I don't watch that show to learn how to perform an appendectomy and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. I like that show.

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Like 1
  • Love 18
7 hours ago, Raja said:

Fulton County Georgia does not have a county hospital?

I thought that they did contact Atlanta General, which is a county hospital, but they wanted more Medicare patients in return. 

This show is still unrealistic because medicine doesn't consist of people coding on an hourly basis, and ICE doesn't get called in hospitals, but I like the chemistry between the cast and the cases are interesting. The upcoding conversations always give me heartburn and is morally wrong in every single way. I hate how administrators who have zero medical backgrounds are in charge of making medical decisions. I'm glad that admin woman got in trouble for ordering tests she shouldn't have.

Poor Luisa. I find it hard to believe that she had to be forced to get out of bed immediately after surgery. She can still do well in rehab.

I don't like that they made the oncologist shady. And please show, no dreaded triangle.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

They've seemed to tone down the traits of each of them and are making them more rounded characters. I'm enjoying the show and think its getting better as it goes along but I think most shows tend to find their groove after the first 4-6 episodes. I think the chemistry among the cast is really good so far. 

I watch so many medical shows and I don't expect the medicine to be realistic. I may nitpick but in the end it doesn't really take away from my enjoyment of a show.  I'm sure for people who work in medicine its harder to hand wave but since all my knowledge comes from watching tv its not too difficult for me.

I cannot figure out how an illegal got hired at a hospital. Unless she had fake documentation (which would have to be pretty darn good to fool a seasoned hospital HR person).

She wasn't an employee. Nic said she was a sub-contractor. The consultant made a point of saying she spoke with the company Louisa worked for and until then, they did not know that she was illegal. So the hospital hires from Louisa's company believing they vet the employees & wouldn't be checking into each on their own. I have no idea if real life hospitals would sub-contract in this manner but it seems like the fictional hospital did.

I'm in for the season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I'm kinda liking that they seem to be showing a different side of a hospital than you usually see on doctor shows. All the stuff about billing and how to pay for the patient without insurance.....most shows have the doctors say they are going to save the patient and we never see anything think about money. Same with the patient from the pilot that ended up brain dead. Most shows would end on the heroic doctor saving the patient without any thought that getting her heart beating didn't really save her.

Plus, I like the main actors. Without them I may be less interested. 

• Love 12

I have a metal plate in my leg and I have had numerous MRI’s. The magnet  is not strong enough to pull the metal from your body. Still trying to decide if I like this show. I know a lot of people are saying it’s realistic but doctors switching tests and trying to kill patients seems more fairy tale than everyday life.

19 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

They've spammed internet with that. IMBD, boards, Facebook and twitter. If you look to the IMDB ratings you'll find out that the show got high ratings (between 10 and 7) and then there's a bunch who voted 1. And they did the same on the Facebook page where 1100 out of 1400 people gave 5 stars to the show but a bunch of people were constantly complained there about medical accuracy. On on tv time the show got a 8.6 out of 10.  Fortunately they spare tvtime.  But we got it. They hate the show. I don't get why they hate this and not the other medical dramas which are equally inaccurate.  I don't care because I don't watch that show to learn how to perform an appendectomy and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. I like that show.

My brushes with organized fandoms and some comments in preview articles about The Resident make me think that what you describe is actually fans of other medical shows downvoting it , out of some imaginary rivalry. I know it sounds unbelievable but the level of cray-cray there is, well, insane.

20 hours ago, themadman said:

I'm not a doctor, but the user reviews on IMBD are full of how the medicine on this show is complete bullshit.

*clutches pearls* What, medicine on a scripted TV show isn't accurate?!  And lifeguards don't defuse bombs or take down organized crime, like on Baywatch?!  I'm shook. Shook, I tell you.

Seriously, people who want reality should stick to documentaries. It's like watching "Reign" and expecting historical accuracy.

The Resident isn't without flaws, far from it, but I also suspect that some people can't stomach the business side and other unsavory aspects of medicine and medicine workers it portrays. Of course, it never happens that a woman is discharged at a bus stop in her hospital gown by freezing temperatures. Or that surgeons remove an ovary instead of an appendix and cause their patient to die. Noooo, never, ever.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

llewis823: It's not recent, but it's also not *that* long ago that they've caught people with faked credentials working in hospitals. I assume today's HR procedures are in response to those cases. (Surprised to hear about the nicotine, though.)

I think billing came up sometimes in early seasons of ER, and probably also in ST. ELSEWHERE. But it's a much more pressing issue now than then because medical care has gotten so much more expensive, plus the whole insurance debate. But those, plus HOUSE, are probably the only medical shows I've watched since DR KILDARE.

I tried out this show just to see what the "twist" was.  From the promos, I was hoping for an up and coming Doctor who had some supernatural ability or some quirk more interesting that autism (Sorry, The Good Doctor).  Sadly, I was disappointed to find another Evul Administration vs. altruistic medical staff story.  The Billing Rep who seemed to have free reign of the hospital and ordered treatments without consulting with any medical personnel, and also pushed staff to illegally upcharge patients.  SO much mustache twirling by this Jackée Harry understudy (although I was hoping during the episode she would wail "Meeaarrrry!"), I was eye-rolling.

The lead "RESIDENT" is just a typical super attractive doctor surrounded by other super attractive co-workers who also seem to do what they want, when they want.  Like spur of the moment surgery on a nice illegal alien gal. All the residents also seem to want to work for a hospital where their jobs or duties are threatened on the regular by the administrator.  Then there is the requisite senior physician/administrator who has to hide "a big secret that could end his career", in this case tremors/Parkinsons, so he can dole out fatherly wisdom to the young upstarts.  Then add a dash of office romance and ...zzzzzzz.  Ah well, there you have it.  I'm out.  This show just seems like another rehashed hospital based drama, so I will have to pass.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

My brushes with organized fandoms and some comments in preview articles about The Resident make me think that what you describe is actually fans of other medical shows downvoting it , out of some imaginary rivalry. I know it sounds unbelievable but the level of cray-cray there is, well, insane.

I don't find it unbelievable at all. Very common.

3 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

The Resident isn't without flaws, far from it, but I also suspect that some people can't stomach the business side and other unsavory aspects of medicine and medicine workers it portrays. Of course, it never happens that a woman is discharged at a bus stop in her hospital gown by freezing temperatures. Or that surgeons remove an ovary instead of an appendix and cause their patient to die. Noooo, never, ever.

I think that show is pissing off many hospitals' CEO.

From a Canadian point of view - the driving premise of the show wouldn't fly. Hospitals are not driven by who has insurance or who is documented. Yes, we have our problems with staffing and accessing tests. Exploratory MRIs for non-urgent issues can take months to get. But if you present with an urgent problem you get treated and whatever background paper work gets taken care of.  The disgusting horror of watching the (not so) CUTE consultant barging around and granting or removing tests like some sort of evil fairy is the epitome of the world's view of the US health system.  People who are bottom line focused, with no understanding of the human implications of their "hard decisions".

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Does the medical profession have something similar to the law profession, whereby surgeons do "pro bono" surgeries for deserving individuals? Or is there anything like a "public defender" in the medical profession?

Overall I like the show well enough. My unpopular opinion is that I do not like the possible Conrad/Nic pairing. I like the characters separately, but together not so much. I admit I am very hesitant about predetermined couples anyway. Some predetermined couples work for me and some do not. Nic and Conrad are not.

1 hour ago, Misslindsey said:

Overall I like the show well enough. My unpopular opinion is that I do not like the possible Conrad/Nic pairing. I like the characters separately, but together not so much. I admit I am very hesitant about predetermined couples anyway. Some predetermined couples work for me and some do not. Nic and Conrad are not.

I agree. I mean, right now I don't dislike them but I don't love them either (but I could change my mind). But since it doesn't seem like romance will be one of the main themes of the show right now I don't mind. 

• Love 2
On 1/30/2018 at 4:40 AM, llewis823 said:

I believe she was a contractor. I've seen that more than once. She might report their 5 days a week but her actual employer  would be responsible for her background check. Also in the day and age of hospital mergers and health systems it's not uncommon for one hospital in that system to send employees to other hospitals/work locations. I saw that after an ER visit. Many of the nurses kept on asking where they keep things or how they do certain things.

Also I give them credit for not having a happy ending with the alcoholic guy that broke his leg drinking in the bar at the end of the show-yes patients are frequently their own worst enemy. And it could be a peak into Conrad's future. It's a race between Conrad's doc/god complex and nurse nic's righteousness.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm surprised to see so much positivity in here!  Or maybe I'm just jaded from some of the other subforums where fans have turned on the shows :lol:

That being said, this episode was just way over the top/heavy handed/beating you over the head with a stick on all the social issues it tried to cram into one or two stories.  And the consultant lady was just so evil to the point of being comical.

• Love 1

I've been an MRI technologist for 18 years, and this show and those like it are why there are so many misconceptions about MRI.  First, what they showed was a low field, or OPEN MRI, not what you would find in a hospital.  Second, there was no coil around the area to be scanned.  Third, penile implants are non-ferromagnetic, and are safe for MR.    Lastly, the technologist is responsible for screening the patient, not some "billing specialist".   

What their "billing specialist" did on the last episode was a blatant violation of HIPAA laws on many levels.  Publishing a brochure on FUCKING UPCODING?.......  walking in on a patient examination?  Give me a break.

And this little hot-shot resident/er doc/surgeon?  Real residents are busy taking call and working their asses off...they don't have time to violate laws by switching lab samples and babysit patients.

And, a transporter in a hospital is not something they would contract out.  It's an entry level job, meant for students, retirees, and volunteers.  In this case, obviously meant to push a narrative that isn't relevant. 

The only positive note in this piece of crap, they did hang the films right side up.

• Love 3
On 1/31/2018 at 8:18 PM, whinewithwine said:

What their "billing specialist" did on the last episode was a blatant violation of HIPAA laws on many levels.  Publishing a brochure on FUCKING UPCODING?.......  walking in on a patient examination?  Give me a break.

I'm glad you posted!! This really bothered me since she has no connection to patient care.  I have no doubt that "upcoding" goes on to some degree, but to have this woman present while people are being examined is offensive!

And, a transporter in a hospital is not something they would contract out.  It's an entry level job, meant for students, retirees, and volunteers.  In this case, obviously meant to push a narrative that isn't relevant. 

I live in a large metro area and the hospitals by me are huge.  Transporters are all volunteers so I didn't get why they were acting like this was some prestigious gig.

• Love 1