Type keyword(s) to search

Making A Model With Yolanda Hadid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yolanda has really come a long way since her Beverly Hills Housewives days. The cynic in me wonders about the illness that kept her from dying her hair, wearing make up or attending most of the HW events and why she seems to be fully made up and on top of it full of life  and energy.  Was that a made for TV illness or did getting rid of the "king" David Foster actually improve her health?  We will probably never know , but I'm IN for this show. I like  that there are a limited  number of girls ( and mothers) to get to know. Love that Lilyann and Kat have already become the designated villians and that I'm already rooting for Mikayla and Karen.  

• Love 9

This show has definitely peaked my interest so far. Using teens as young as 13 is a more realistic way to break into modeling, rather than girls that are 18+ on other reality shows like Top Model. I also enjoyed seeing this side of Yolanda. Although if anyone even remotely says the word Munchausen, I'm out!

• Love 5

I kept thinking, "Five-foot 5? Isn't that too short for modeling?" but then I see that they are 13 or 15 years old.

Why are clients booking Lilyan? Yech, so not pretty. Not "edgy" either. Just fug. And mean. 

Mikayla and her mom, who kind of reminds me of Wanda Sykes, seem to have a lovely relationship. And the mom is funny. 

Yolanda gave them all great advice.

• Love 6

In what universe is Lilyann even remotely model material!? That face is jacked, I'm sorry. Breanna isn't much better....she may be "exotic"by some peoples' standards, but I live in Hawaii where good looking Eurasian girls practically fall off the tree. Also, I thought her mom was transgender!

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I totally agree. Her Silly Putty nose is so fleshy. 

I agree, but oddly I think she photographs well. 

I don’t know why she’d want to come across as such a little bitch when this show could potentially launch her career, but maybe that’s just her normal personality and she can’t help it. Or she’s getting paid. 

• Love 1

So glad I found some others who may share my new guilty pleasure LOL! 

I'm of a "certain age" (like, I'd qualify for America's Next Really Old Model or modeling for a retirement home catalogue) where I so clearly remember the awesome fresh faces on covers of magazines like Glamour and Mademoiselle when they were young and pretty and glowing and for me the moment i saw Mikayla I just adored her ... I can SO see her being a timeless star ... PLUS she's really likable and so is her mom ... frankly, they so outshine every other pair that I can only think they're giving us false hope that she is the obvious frontrunner. I'd buy products she posed for ... I just hope (and it looks promising from next week's teasers) that they let her pose with her adorable 'fro.

Totally agree on Lilyan being the designated bitch. Odd thing I noticed is that she's the only blonde, yet based on teasers (which I have to assume are not spoilers since they were on the air) they're dying her hair darker (maybe reddish? Can't tell). I thought I saw roots anyway so maybe she's not really blonde to start with.

I hate myself for liking this show so far. Guilty enough pleasure to be candy but not enough that I am ashamed. 
Also? IMHO Gigi and Bella are two of the most stunning young women around.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

So glad I found some others who may share my new guilty pleasure LOL! 

I'm of a "certain age" (like, I'd qualify for America's Next Really Old Model or modeling for a retirement home catalogue) where I so clearly remember the awesome fresh faces on covers of magazines like Glamour and Mademoiselle when they were young and pretty and glowing and for me the moment i saw Mikayla I just adored her ... I can SO see her being a timeless star ... PLUS she's really likable and so is her mom ... frankly, they so outshine every other pair that I can only think they're giving us false hope that she is the obvious frontrunner. I'd buy products she posed for ... I just hope (and it looks promising from next week's teasers) that they let her pose with her adorable 'fro.

Totally agree on Lilyan being the designated bitch. Odd thing I noticed is that she's the only blonde, yet based on teasers (which I have to assume are not spoilers since they were on the air) they're dying her hair darker (maybe reddish? Can't tell). I thought I saw roots anyway so maybe she's not really blonde to start with.

I hate myself for liking this show so far. Guilty enough pleasure to be candy but not enough that I am ashamed. 
Also? IMHO Gigi and Bella are two of the most stunning young women around.

I was prepared for this to be another reality show to hate watch, but was presently surprised by how good it is. 

I know who Yolanda is. I know she's an ex-model. I think she still looks fantastic. I know who her ex-husbands are. I know who her children are I know about her struggle with Lyme disease. That said this is the first time I've ever watched her on TV. 

As soon as she mentioned that the reason she chose the young girls she did, I thought to myself "Yep. I'm watching this!" In the real world of modeling, girls can be scouted between the ages of 12-14. The agencies don't always send them out right away, but develop them until they reach (I think) 16/17. Yolanda knows that, for high fashion, the girls start out really young. She's not putting out feelers for young women in their twenties and thirties as if she thinks they have a shot in hell toward becoming high fashion models. 

I don't mind the concept of bringing these girls' mothers with them for this competition. However, I knew a number of them were going to be stage mothers, which makes me cringe. But I give Yolanda credit for saying that while it's important for these girls to have solid relationship and support from their mothers, the mothers have to learn to back off and give their daughters space and independence.

I already know who I'm rooting for this season: Mikayla (and her mom Karen). She's gorgeous. She has a great personality. And Karen is the same way on both fronts. They have a natural rapport. Karen's supportive, but doesn't smother her daughter. She strikes me as encouraging. They look like they have fun together. Also, on a superficial level, I grew up not too far from Chicago (and lived in the city for a decade), so that's another reason I'm rooting for them.

The other girls did nothing for me. While some of the mothers kind of annoyed me, I was appalled by the way a couple of them were treated by their daughters. Such disrespect!

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5

If the mothers are taller than their daughters, they might have a chance at needed additional height, because aside from Makenzie, none currently meet the standard model height, and Makenzie is borderline at 5’8. 

Nose jobs would’ve helped a couple of the models. But even then, I think there’s a clear outlier who still wouldn’t be model material.

I think Mikayla will win. 

• Love 3

Lilyan's face is average at best: close-set eyes, weak bone structure, bulbous nose, short neck. A number of her pre-show pictures featured her wearing large sunglasses to hide her face. And she's short. 5'3. She's not a bad looking person, but Who? In The World?! told her she was supermodel material?!? The way she talks about herself--- girl, bye. Plus, her nasty attitude makes her look downright ugly.

Lilyan was right though, about Makenzie's fake-ass tears. What kinda social anxiety causes you to be a total bitch to your mama? Makenzie can have several seats! In the modeling world, Lilyann would get booked over Makenzie, even though Makenzie is more modelesque. Disrespecting the Artistic Director is a huge no-no. Word quickly gets around & it makes a model un-bookable.

I think Breanna is adorable but her mom is soo obnoxious & thirsty. Girl, let your daughter get some shine! Talking about moisturizing homemade vaginal wipes on national tv next to your, clearly embarressed, young daughter? Girl, get a filter!

Athena is adorable--- just young and a little shy--& her mom is nice, too. She's a front-runner for me along with Mikayla.

I thought it was interesting that Mikayla had the best attitude, personality & social skills & she's the only one who isn't home schooled. Her face & 'fro are adorable, but I thought her body movement at the photoshoot was just lovely! It's hard to believe she's such a novice.

Edited by NowVoyager
Trying to get the names right
  • Love 6

Carrington-Durham-Making-a-Model.thumb.jpg.09c3bf98eb2180f9d91baacf946b3162.jpg

Interesting. On PHOTOS - Meet the Cast of Making A Model With Yolanda Hadid! - Reality Blurb
https://realityblurb.com/2018/01/11/making-a-model-with-yolanda-hadid-cast-photos/#mobile-site-navigation I found some pictures of another model, Carrington. A much prettier "blonde" than Lilyan. Bone structure! Wide set eyes! There's a group shot of them all & she's on the end. I guess she didn't work out for some reason & they just cropped her out? Hmmm.....

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 1

I know a number of women who have done this, because of their kids.  A guy I know at work's ex-wife did it (took back his name after her last divorce), because they had a kid together, and the kid isn't even little - he's in college.  Personally, I kept my ex's last name because of our kids.  I'm not saying this is why Yolanda did it, since her kids are all out of school (I think...not sure how old Anwar is) and I'm sure the fact that Gigi and Bella are famous doesn't hurt, but it's why the women I know did it.

Plus, she always seemed very friendly with Mohammad, and I'm sure she's not so much with David, so why keep his last name?  I guess she could have gone back to her maiden name, but why, when people know the Hadid name?  If Mohammad doesn't mind, why should we care?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Carrington-Durham-Making-a-Model.thumb.jpg.09c3bf98eb2180f9d91baacf946b3162.jpg

Interesting. On PHOTOS - Meet the Cast of Making A Model With Yolanda Hadid! - Reality Blurb
https://realityblurb.com/2018/01/11/making-a-model-with-yolanda-hadid-cast-photos/#mobile-site-navigation I found some pictures of another model, Carrington. A much prettier "blonde" than Lilyan. Bone structure! Wide set eyes! There's a group shot of them all & she's on the end. I guess she didn't work out for some reason & they just cropped her out? Hmmm.....

Carrington looks like a model! So curious to know why she dropped out. She is the only one who had an additional photo in that link. 

13 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Lilyan's face is average at best: close-set eyes, weak bone structure, bulbous nose, short neck. A number of her pre-show pictures featured her wearing large sunglasses to hide her face. And she's short. 5'3. She's not a bad looking person, but Who? In The World?! told her she was supermodel material?!? The way she talks about herself--- girl, bye. Plus, her nasty attitude makes her look downright ugly.

Lilyan was right though, about Makenzie's fake-ass tears. What kinda social anxiety causes you to be a total bitch to your mama? Makenzie can have several seats! In the modeling world, Lilyann would get booked over Makenzie, even though Makenzie is more modelesque. Disrespecting the Artistic Director is a huge no-no. Word quickly gets around & it makes a model un-bookable.

I think Breanna is adorable but her mom is soo obnoxious & thirsty. Girl, let your daughter get some shine! Talking about moisturizing homemade vaginal wipes on national tv next to your, clearly embarressed, young daughter? Girl, get a filter!

Athena is adorable--- just young and a little shy--& her mom is nice, too. She's a front-runner for me along with Mikayla.

I thought it was interesting that Mikayla had the best attitude, personality & social skills & she's the only one who isn't home schooled. Her face & 'fro are adorable, but I thought her body movement at the photoshoot was just lovely! It's hard to believe she's such a novice.

Ha, ha, ha! "Wearing large sunglasses to hide her face"!!!

Moisturizing vaginal wipes--why does anyone need these? 

• Love 2

I'm really impressed that Yolanda is so good at this. She knows what she's talking about and isn't cutesy like Tyra ("smize") but gives great feedback & though she seems cognizant of the age of the girls, she's not afraid to tell them that this is not for the entitled or needy. Doubt Mackenzie has the mental strength to stay in this field - she needs way too much coddling. I do however, think that Lilyann and Breanna are classic mean girls and they are not coming off too well on this show. Kudos to Mikayla for staying out of it when they seemed to be trying to draw her in to their coven.  Athena and her mother (7 kids!) seem as down to earth as Mikayla and her Mom.  Great challenges so far & Patrick from H&M seemed a lot kinder than some of the people who judge ANTM.  

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

I'm really impressed that Yolanda is so good at this. She knows what she's talking about and isn't cutesy like Tyra ("smize") but gives great feedback & though she seems cognizant of the age of the girls, she's not afraid to tell them that this is not for the entitled or needy.  

I like the way she rolls her eyes every time Lilyann models.

• Love 8

I missed most of the second episode, but Yolanda was really into black leather jackets.

I'll re-watch the whole thing later, but was there any hint of the Phantom Blonde, Carrington?

Lilyan really is the worst. All those ugly Miley Cyrus faces may have worked on her Instagram, but this is real modeling, hunty! The elephant in the room: her face is no where near special enough to be a model. She gets her delusions of grandeur from her mother. Her tears didn't move me--- & I'm a crier!

Mackenzie had total bitchface on the runway. Every model has to walk in bad shoes from time to time. No excuses, no sympathy & she picked the shoes.

Wish there were eliminations. These 2 can go now.'

• Love 5

Carrington looks like a model! So curious to know why she dropped out

Assuming that this Carrington Durham is the same one easily found on the Internet, she may have lied about her age, and is really 19 not 16.  Maybe she was found out when they checked her social media. 

• Love 4

Because it cannot be said enough, Lilyan is a colossal bitch. She actually seems to look for opportunities to ridicule Makenzie. In most other reality shows, the targets usually give the mean girls a reason to single them out (well, not Michael Costello). 

Breanna seems so annoyed by her mother. 

Bella is very kind.

Lilyan and Breanna are such suck-ups to Bella.

After all her bragging and disdain for the girls who were practicing their walks, I am glad that Lilyan's walk made Yolanda cringe. 

• Love 4

I actually did not know who this woman was - as I never followed models and don't watch the Housewives drama - but found this on Wiki - After filing for divorce, Foster changed her surname back to Hadid to match that of her children.

To me it's a non-issue - it makes better sense for her business wise to use Hadid as all the kids are famous. I wouldn't call her a fame whore but a smart business woman.

• Love 1

Here's more info on Carrington - she seems to have much more experience not only in modeling but TV as well.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4488673/

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/carrington-durham-32628.php - 19 yrs old

https://www.youtube.com/user/CarringtonOfficial

It's funny that with an interent search - these casting directors always miss so much when it comes to picking contestants.

I love this show - had no idea who Yolanda was but have heard of her daughters and son. Like someone else said - it's not cutesy like so many other model shows - it's pretty direct and to the point. After watching these reality modeling shows for years be it Kim of Queen or Next Top Model - from all the counties - there are always contestants that don't really fit the "girl next door" criteria but once made up - they are beautiful. Gone are the days when most model were actually as beautiful or striking without make-up as they were with it.

My faves are Mikayla and Athena - losers Lilyan and Brianna. Although I have to say - I've talk back to my mom - I won't think I'd be doing it on national TV - especially when I'm hoping that this will promote my career. Lilyan, Brianna, and even Mackensie are really spoiled little brats and give no thought to how disrespectful they look - sorry but if I were any of their moms - do that once and you would learn what humiliation is and I would make sure it was included in the shooting. 

• Love 3

I am having a like/hate relationship with this show.  I like the premise, I like the idea of taking a few girls and mentoring them along the way.  I actually even like Yolanda, who was not a favorite of mine on Real Housewives....didn't not like her, but didn't really like her, either during her tenure there.  Love the house in NY, the scenes around the city, Bella and GiGi popping in to help out the girls.

I hate that the show is making me dislike teenage girls so much!  I know there are mean girls everywhere and high school can be difficult because of them.  I hope that when they are now watching the show, Lilyan and her mother see how much of a mean girl Lilyan has been, but it's doubtful.  Her Mom kind of fuels that with her "pep talks".  What her Mom refers to as "over-confidence" is pettiness fueled by envy (something tells me that her Mom may have been a bit of a mean girl in high school as well).  I thought about this last night - Lilyan is cute-pretty, in a Miley Cyrus kind of way (Now Voyager said the same upthread....).  She has probably always been told she is a pretty girl.  Her runway walks, with the long strides, angry faces and tongue sticking out are typical moves from non-model Miley - Lilyan needs to find her own look.  I hate that she is trying to bring other girls to her "side" against Makenzie.  Makenzie is a bundle of nerves and insecurity, along with social anxiety disorder - not exactly the personality or inner strength needed for such a personally critical career as a fashion model.  But, she is also a bit of a drama queen.  She doesn't even seem like she wants to be there!  Hopefully, her chats with Bella will help her.  Breanna's mom is seriously living vicariously through her daughter, and it's a bit creepy to me.  Mikayla and her Mom are adorable, and I also like Athena and her Mom.  

I'll continue to watch, but I think I'll try to forget the mean mentality of some of the girls, and focus on their Moms' behavior.

• Love 5
On 1/17/2018 at 6:51 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

Who gets divorced from one guy and goes back to the last name of the previous guy she divorced?  A famewhore like Yolanda who is riding the coattails of her kids.

Come sit by me - I'll let you have more than 3 almonds.  ;-)

• Love 4

Lilyan has got to be a terror in her hometown. A pretty 14 year old with some modeling under her belt + a mean streak..would have lasted about two days in my town before someone would have thrown a bucket of piss on her in the high school halls. ( looking at YOU Marla)

Athena is the prettiest, but Mikayla will win.

• Love 5

I wish it was a "vote off" show that started with more girls, but I can see where that might be too harsh when they are young teens and plus it would involve too many people if all the moms are there. (--and some of those mom's need to grow up!)

The one young girl who diplomatically removes herself from any drama talk is very mature for her age. 

Tyra is gonna be so pissed when one (or two) of these girls actually becomes a great model! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DeeReynolds said:

Umm... if Lilian looks like Miley Cyrus, her mom is giving me Amy Pohler vibes for sure. Especially as Regina George's "cool mom" in Mean Girls.

I didn't see it until you posted that! Totally Amy Poehler. 

Bella really turned out well.  I guess Yolanda is a very good mother. 

Lilyan, if this is your true personality, I worry about your future, as anything.  Maybe you can play the victim by letting people know that your disability or "disease" is that you're a bitch with a bitch mom.

• Love 8

Amazing to see that once her kids became famous and gave her a way to get the "fame" her "Housewives" stint couldn't, her "Lyme" disease was cured enough for her to have her own show and put. #faker #famewhore #sadexcuseforamom

• Love 3
On January 18, 2018 at 6:20 AM, Kiki777 said:

She looks like Fred Armisen from SNL.

BINGO!

So, two thoughts here ... 

1) I SO SO SO wish they had had an initial "choosing the models" episode (or if they did, I missed it) ... It would be so interesting to me to see how they narrowed down the field from all the submissions.

2) I'm trying to figure this out, but in the "model/mom house" is the rooming set-up two pairs of girls/moms in two of the rooms and just Mikayla and her mom alone in the third? It seemed like the rooms we saw had two sets of bunk beds and with five sets of moms/daughters that seems sort of unfair, but we didn't see either the usual AMTM banshee rush for the beds or perhaps a lottery or drawing to see who got to be roommate-free ... of course, if they DO add a sixth pair then that will answer the question. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

1) I SO SO SO wish they had had an initial "choosing the models" episode (or if they did, I missed it) ... It would be so interesting to me to see how they narrowed down the field from all the submissions.

That's my one of my gripes about the show. I look forward to the first episodes (of these kinds of shows) each season. I like to see what the hopefuls look like and why the ones chosen were chosen. Yolanda mentioned their looks, but I'd like to know which young girls weren't chosen and why. 

I would never want Lilyan and her mother anywhere near me. I don't know if Yolanda was supposed to find one pair of drama queens for the season, but I would have been perfectly happy to just have normal girls and their moms on the show. Not petty, bratty, entitled girls and their moms. 

I know this is only the second episode, but I'm starting to not really like having the moms around. Clearly most of them are helicopter moms living vicariously through their daughters, but it's creeping me out. I understand why Yolanda has the moms on the show, but I'm not sure I need to see and hear them.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I get the feeling that Yolanda didn't handpick these girls, but rather, a casting director did. Why else would Lilyan (aka Fred) be there is not for filling the mean girl role?

Makenzie is cute in a bland way- she looks more actressy than modelly to me.

Athens is a little beauty but she's short.  Mikayla looks like the front runner to me.

Breanna has what my boyfriend calls "old lady face"! A toothless, rather scrunched face.

• Love 3

I'm trying to figure this out, but in the "model/mom house" is the rooming set-up two pairs of girls/moms in two of the rooms and just Mikayla and her mom alone in the third? It seemed like the rooms we saw had two sets of bunk beds and with five sets of moms/daughters that seems sort of unfair,

There was originally a sixth mom/daughter pair (Carrington and Lisa Durham), but they were dropped for reasons we can only guess at right now (see posts above).

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 5:35 AM, NowVoyager said:

I missed most of the second episode, but Yolanda was really into black leather jackets.

I was just coming here to see if anyone knows how Yolanda feels about every model owning a black leather jacket. Lol

• Love 2
On 1/17/2018 at 9:51 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

Who gets divorced from one guy and goes back to the last name of the previous guy she divorced?  A famewhore like Yolanda who is riding the coattails of her kids.

I don't know anything about Yolanda, who very well may be a Hampshire who only used Had it for the recognition, but my mother went back to my dad's name over twenty years after they divorced when her kids were already grown adults. It's a perfectly valid choice. 

• Love 1

Having watched Yolanda on "Housewives" for years, it seems to me that Yolanda is very much an opportunistic human being.  Although her Lyme disease escapade was not handled well, I think there is little that Yolanda does without calculation.  While her maiden name and Foster's name were perfectly fine, I think she reasoned that the Hadid name, being known now around the world because of her children, was the name that would make her a Somebody, particularly a wealthy Somebody, IMHO.

Edited by Lura
typo
  • Love 2

I only saw two seasons of Yolanda as a "Housewife," and that was enough. I hope that whatever she hoped to gain from being part of that cast was achieved and I've tried to separate Lyme-gate, or whatever from her resume' while I watch this show.

I actually don't think Yo is doing that badly in this setting and seems to have found her calling. Aside from her OTT insistence on black leather jackets, I like her no-nonsense approach to how she is handling the wanna-bes  and momagers. She is not sugar-coating anything and is impressing that hard work and perseverance is what it's going to take. I also am glad that she was up-front about how social media plays such a huge role in making the cut as a successful model these days and not necessarily looks and "personality." *cough.* I also like how she takes the time to talk with the girls (and their mothers) who appear to be struggling. She is kind and compassionate but firm. No special snowflakes on Yolanda's watch.

I am eagerly waiting for her to tear into Lilyan and her mother for their awful attitudes. Maybe kick them off the show??

I hope that future instruction addresses versatility in pleasing a client. Not every client is going to want "biker chic."  Maybe some of the girls just don't want to slouch around NYC in ripped jeans and leather bomber jackets.

Bella seems like a pleasant young woman. I wish she didn't always wear her hair scraped up on top of her head in a little knot. It's not the most flattering look but maybe her hair is a hot mess from the constant styling, hot lights, etc.

• Love 4