Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Spoilers, Speculation & Social Media

Aethera
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, neh said:

I am so glad to learn that Aspyn and her fiancé are planning on a monogamist marriage.  The Brown children seemed to have learned a lot from their parents.

Yikes, Kody, he looks like he has aged 40 years since we first saw him.  

His face looks thinner, like he lost some weight.

3 hours ago, neh said:

I am so glad to learn that Aspyn and her fiancé are planning on a monogamist marriage.

Well, I would not be too sure about that.  His family has a big polygamy background.

"I don't want to do plural marriage," she said in 2015. "I kind of feel bad that none of us want to, but it was just not what we were meant to do I guess."

That was 3 years ago and before the engagement. I certainly hope she means it but I have my fears.  Did her fiance say that as well?  If so, then I have hope but until then....

• Love 10
On 1/23/2018 at 8:12 AM, Higgins said:

I would suggest an ASN first then let your employer pay for your BSN. You should not pay for an expensive 4 year bachelor's program for an RN license.

That’s my issue, I have an adn (associates degree in Nursing) but I am having a hard time finding a job to begin with because most hospitals systems now only want bsn, so I can’t get my foot in the door to get a job to begin with.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, leighroda said:

That’s my issue, I have an adn (associates degree in Nursing) but I am having a hard time finding a job to begin with because most hospitals systems now only want bsn, so I can’t get my foot in the door to get a job to begin with.

Have you thought about applying at nursing homes?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Have you thought about applying at nursing homes?

My niece is an RN, but she is in the process of getting her Bachelors degree.  She said that you can't be in any type of supervisory position unless you have it.  We live in an area with a large amount of hospitals/doctors  within a 60 mile radius, she has never had much trouble finding a job.  She is slowly working her way toward a NP.  She said that the last year of her nursing school was grueling and was lucky to have her mom, dad and husband to care for their son.  She even had to quit her job.  She said you have so much studying that you can't hold a job at the same time.  Good luck on finding something.

• Love 1

Not really a new trend; my mother earned an (non-bachelor's) degree from a nursing school in the 1950's, and wound up going to a local college in the 1980's to be able to transition to supervisory/desk work.

When I advised nursing students at my community college, I pretty much told them that this was just a stepping stone.  Most knew that, and just wanted to be able to make money now (usually because they had children) and would get the degree later.  Hopefully.

• Love 1

State to state, and facility to facility, there are differences, I’m sure. 

That said, there are teaching hospitals that waive tuition (some costs  not covered) in lieu of you signing on to work at that hospital for x amount of years. A nursing home in my area used to assist with tuition, and also adjust work schedules to allow for school and work at the same time. This particular nursing home, sadly, isn’t able to do this currently. 

I feel like there are positions available, depending on what one is willing to start at and do.

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I feel like there are positions available, depending on what one is willing to start at and do.

Much depends on your location.  I live in a rural area with a tiny hospital and they are desperate for nurses.  I am retired and they asked if I would come back to work even one day a week.

19 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I saw a few minutes of all the kids (the older ones) who were all asked:  So, are you gonna be a polygamist?  All the kids said no.....no way.  I thought that was interesting!

Was Aspyn among them?

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Much depends on your location.  I live in a rural area with a tiny hospital and they are desperate for nurses.  I am retired and they asked if I would come back to work even one day a week.

Was Aspyn among them?

Bolding mine - I can't remember.  I am sorry.  They all tend to blend together.  At that time they all said no so we can assume Aspyn said no as well.  It was a while ago, like a year ago.

• Love 1
Just now, Kohola3 said:

I didn't (actually don't ever) watch so I didn't know.  The article in which she said it was 3 years ago so I have my doubts now.

So you think Aspyn might be headed for a poly marriage?  She could be the new "Seeking Sister Wife"!   

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

So you think Aspyn might be headed for a poly marriage?  She could be the new "Seeking Sister Wife"!   

Well, her fiance's family wreath is just full of knots of intertwining polygamists and his sister is on Seeking Sister Wives so I have a hard time believing that she'll be able to delay what I bet is inevitable.  The Brown females have only submissive, subservient Sheep Wife mothers to emulate so, in my opinion, it's not looking good for her.

• Love 11
20 hours ago, leighroda said:

This is definitely the case now more than ever. My daughter is a new nurse - just started last year. She has a BSN and had no trouble getting many excellent offers. Those she knows without the BSN struggled to even get an interview. And those she current work with who have been around for a while have been given deadlines to get their BSN or they will be unemployed. 

• Love 1

Ugh Ugh Ugh - just saw the new preview. When will these guys stop trying to convince people they are going to be arrested. They are NOT going to be arrested. They are going to a march in DC. There are a zillion of them. They will only get arrested there if they riot or loot things. They are not going to get arrrested for having a gay daughter. And for the 10 billionth time they are not going to get arrested for polygamy. Good grief this is such a tired fear. 

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

And for the 10 billionth time they are not going to get arrested for polygamy. Good grief this is such a tired fear. 

And a self important one, as well.

The Browns can't seem to accept the fact that as long as they are not committing fraud or abusing their kids, NOBODY CARES how they live. Not the gub'mint, not me, not you, no one. They really think that in a state contending with the likes of the Jeffs cult and their ilk, that they are some kind of big dill. 

You're not, Kody and company. Get over yourselves.  Stop whining about being felons. You're not felons until you are convicted of a felony. And since nobody has any intention of arresting you, you're safe. Now shut up!

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

The Browns can't seem to accept the fact that as long as they are not committing fraud or abusing their kids, NOBODY CARES how they live. Not the gub'mint, not me, not you, no one. They really think that in a state contending with the likes of the Jeffs cult and their ilk, that they are some kind of big dill. 

You're not, Kody and company. Get over yourselves.  Stop whining about being felons. You're not felons until you are convicted of a felony. And since nobody has any intention of arresting you, you're safe. Now shut up!

I have to say that I understand where Kody and the family (well, some of them) are coming from with regards to polygamy laws. This is their lifestyle and their belief system, and whether the laws are enforced or not, or whether there is a threat of arrest or not, it has to sting knowing that there are laws in place that could be used against them at the discretion of law enforcement and the courts. Fighting for their rights and to get laws off the books is completely understandable. Why not let your voice be heard and work towards gaining rights and removing roadblocks to something you believe in? 

And, consider this: if they did gain the legal right to live openly as declared polygamists, then perhaps other laws could be enacted which would prohibit all the welfare fraud and other ways that polygamist families "bleed the beast". Win-win!

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, lma said:

They just like attention and playing the role of victim. If you are afraid of being arrested, why go public with a TV SHOW!? Much ado about nothing.

I know I am about, oh I don't know......a few YEARS too late on this, but if you are in such fear of being arrested, why are you on tv?  Talking about being arrested?  I mean......I just don't get them.

59 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

The people next door could have four people sleeping in the same bed (and by the amount of cars in their driveway every day I could be onto something) and guess what......I don't care.  I care more that they have six cars in the street and in the driveway and it looks like we live next to a used car lot.  I care that the mom sits out in her three season porch and talks for HOURS, starting at 10pm, until midnight or 1am with her LOUD whiskey and cigarette voice every damn night starting in late May until mid October.  That is annoying.  We know every little detail of her life, her kid's lives and it is not that fascinating.  Her sister (the one she speaks to) has a loud voice and I can actually hear her voice through the phone.  And our houses are not squished together.  Off topic, sorry - I had to vent.

So Kody.....shut it please.

• Love 17

I agree with Ima. 

Every single polygamy show that I've watched - EVERY SINGLE ONE - The male/husband figure can't quite hide their pride at being considered an "outlaw". 

It reminds me of people smoking pot in public before it was legal in my state.  They looooved being the Bad Boy/Bad Girl. Knowing that the most a cop would do (unless they were doing something else illegal) would be to tell them to put it away, or maybe take it from them. 

Taking away that law means they won't be special snowflakes anymore. And Kody wants very much to be a special snowflake, which is probably why he wants to move back to Utah. 

ETA: I know at least one person who stopped using pot when it became legal because "everyone's doing it now". Go figure. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 16
17 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I agree with Ima. 

Every single polygamy show that I've watched - EVERY SINGLE ONE - The male/husband figure can't quite hide their pride at being considered an "outlaw". 

It reminds me of people smoking pot in public before it was legal in my state.  They looooved being the Bad Boy/Bad Girl. Knowing that the most a cop would do (unless they were doing something else illegal) would be to tell them to put it away, or maybe take it from them. 

Taking away that law means they won't be special snowflakes anymore. And Kody wants very much to be a special snowflake, which is probably why he wants to move back to Utah. 

ETA: I know at least one person who stopped using pot when it became legal because "everyone's doing it now". Go figure. 

I agree on being labeled an "outlaw."  You ain't Johnny Cash, you ain't Waylon Jennings.  You are a man who seems to like spreading his seed around.  Big difference.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I agree with Ima. 

This hits the nail on the head. They don’t want the law changed. They won’t be special snowflakes anymore. But also they won’t be a group of single moms raising a bunch of kids on their tax returns and welfare requests. Now granted, I am 99% sure the Browns don’t currently receive govt assistance, but they did and they will again when the TLC train heads out of town  If they were all legally married with 4 able bodied adults in one household they would qualify for much less or no assistance and would have to get *gasp* jobs  

And as far as their living in some kind of horrible limbo that law enforcement could suddenly decide to persecute them, i don’t buy that at all   Multiple times the government has gone on record saying they only pursue polygamist for fraud and sex offenses  And the prosecutions of polygamists bear that out  Jeffs isn’t in jail because he married multiple women  He’s in jail because he’s a child predator 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 10
52 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

The people next door could have four people sleeping in the same bed (and by the amount of cars in their driveway every day I could be onto something) and guess what......I don't care.  I care more that they have six cars in the street and in the driveway and it looks like we live next to a used car lot.  I care that the mom sits out in her three season porch and talks for HOURS, starting at 10pm, until midnight or 1am with her LOUD whiskey and cigarette voice every damn night starting in late May until mid October. That is annoying.  We know every little detail of her life, her kid's lives and it is not that fascinating.  Her sister (the one she speaks to) has a loud voice and I can actually hear her voice through the phone.  And our houses are not squished together.  Off topic, sorry - I had to vent.

So Kody.....shut it please.

UGH, noisy inconsiderate neighbors are the WORST. I lived in a condo complex for years and saw lots of people come and go, some good, some awful. I swear, one unit must've been cursed because it was one horrible couple after another, each one bizarre in their own way. 

We live in a house on a quiet street now, and the only annoyances are the house across the street, which also has multiple cars that come and go. Luckily, they are very quiet otherwise. And another neighbor parks a huge RV in front of his house occasionally, but they seem to be on the road with it more often than not, so that's good.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

UGH, noisy inconsiderate neighbors are the WORST. I lived in a condo complex for years and saw lots of people come and go, some good, some awful. I swear, one unit must've been cursed because it was one horrible couple after another, each one bizarre in their own way. 

We live in a house on a quiet street now, and the only annoyances are the house across the street, which also has multiple cars that come and go. Luckily, they are very quiet otherwise. And another neighbor parks a huge RV in front of his house occasionally, but they seem to be on the road with it more often than not, so that's good.

I hear ya!!  This neighbor's voice is so loud and gravel-y that even in our HOUSE we can hear her.  We will be in bed, all ready to fall asleep......and we hear her honking.  So the dream of sleeping in the summer with the windows open is gone.  I have had heard more about her life, her kids and grandkids than about my siblings, nephews, cousins and co-workers COMBINED that I ever care to know!!!  And....since I am on a roll - why oh why does it take them four days to mow their lawn with a RIDING LAWN MOWER?  Start, stop, start, stop, start, stop.  It is about a fifth of an acre sized lot (yes I looked it up) so it ain't a farm!!!!  Thanks all!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 5

The male/husband figure can't quite hide their pride at being considered an "outlaw". 

And mention it ten million times to every single stranger they meet none of whom give a rat's ass.

And the drummed up fear of persecution is what the Sheep Wives have been fed to them by Prophet Wild Hair.  They are too lazy/uninterested/brainwashed to become conversant in the laws - after all, politics are "stupid".

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, her fiance's family wreath is just full of knots of intertwining polygamists and his sister is on Seeking Sister Wives so I have a hard time believing that she'll be able to delay what I bet is inevitable.  The Brown females have only submissive, subservient Sheep Wife mothers to emulate so, in my opinion, it's not looking good for her.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, if Doofus will pitch a spin-off show to TLC, "Sister Wives - The New Generation."  Mr. Xword is a Star Trek fan, also Star Trek TNG, etc.

I feel the same way you do.  With both of the gnarled family trees of two families, I'll be shocked if Aspyn does NOT end up a plural wife.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

If they were all legally married with 4 able bodied adults in one household they would qualify for much less or no assistance and would have to get *gasp* jobs  

They don't want polygamy to be legal, they just don't want it to be illegal. If it were legal to marry multiple women (or men), it would create a nightmare for insurance, taxes, SS and inheritances. Those are State and Federal issues that would need to be addressed. And, as you said, they would not be able to Bleed the Beast.

• Love 13
47 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

They don't want polygamy to be legal, they just don't want it to be illegal. If it were legal to marry multiple women (or men), it would create a nightmare for insurance, taxes, SS and inheritances. Those are State and Federal issues that would need to be addressed. And, as you said, they would not be able to Bleed the Beast.

I was just about to post the same thing.   They only want to be able to live polygamy freely, they are not looking to legally marry all of the wives.   They aren't trying to cut into their "free" benefits ffs.    It's all about "We want to do as we please AND we want deserve for you all to pay for it".   

• Love 7

So they want their cake, and to eat it as well?  Decriminalize it, but let them continue to bleed the beast?  These men and their Stepford wives want it all, don't they?

Hopefully the State of Utah either says no, or budgets a hell of a lot more $ for welfare bennies.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

So they want their cake, and to eat it as well?  Decriminalize it, but let them continue to bleed the beast?  These men and their Stepford wives want it all, don't they?

Yep, the Tres Leches cake of the governmental support world.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

This is my life right now.  Except it's an apartment and the last 3 renters in the apartment next to mine have been evicted.  The one who lives there now moved in and hasn't paid any rent (she moved in in November and aside from the deposit, has not paid 1 dime.  haha).  They filed eviction last month, but she's suing them saying they're trying to evict her because of her health.  lol

• Love 3
9 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

They filed eviction last month, but she's suing them saying they're trying to evict her because of her health.  lol

Maybe she should collect a few more women and a man and then say she's being persecuted for polygamy.  Works for the Brown Clowns.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And mention it ten million times to every single stranger they meet none of whom give a rat's ass.

And the drummed up fear of persecution is what the Sheep Wives have been fed to them by Prophet Wild Hair.  They are too lazy/uninterested/brainwashed to become conversant in the laws - after all, politics are "stupid".

I know a guy (don't we all) who was in jail briefly back in the 80's for dealing drugs.  (It was about a month long sentence) Not defending him at all - here is my point:  He HATES cameras.  He hates going to the bank, he hates even saying to a police officer, he doesn't even like his picture on FB while drinking a beer.  He just avoids it - he has not been involved with drugs or anything similar since but......man when I think of Kody being all "Oh man...I hope the law doesn't catch up with us!!" meanwhile there is a six camera film crew going on behind him.  So no, Kody, you are NOT about be arrested and you knew that/know that all along.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I know a guy (don't we all) who was in jail briefly back in the 80's for dealing drugs.  (It was about a month long sentence) Not defending him at all - here is my point:  He HATES cameras.  He hates going to the bank, he hates even saying to a police officer, he doesn't even like his picture on FB while drinking a beer.  He just avoids it - he has not been involved with drugs or anything similar since but......man when I think of Kody being all "Oh man...I hope the law doesn't catch up with us!!" meanwhile there is a six camera film crew going on behind him.  So no, Kody, you are NOT about be arrested and you knew that/know that all along.

And this is another thing that makes his a grade A jackass and emotional abuser. When they “fled” to Vegas he knew damn well they weren’t in any danger but he knew the wives, or at least Christine and Meri, were going to believe him because they are conditioned to even in the face of all evidence that they aren’t. And Kody used it to his advantage. So I’m wondering how Kody is using this to his advantage now. The clip says they turned over custody of the kids to Robin. And she’s the legal wife. Hmmmmmm

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

And this is another thing that makes his a grade A jackass and emotional abuser. When they “fled” to Vegas he knew damn well they weren’t in any danger but he knew the wives, or at least Christine and Meri, were going to believe him because they are conditioned to even in the face of all evidence that they aren’t.

AND scared the crap out of all of those kids, many of whom were quite young.  Tore them from the only home they'd known and away from their friends all to fulfill his dream of living in LV.  Emotional abuse for sure.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I have to say that I understand where Kody and the family (well, some of them) are coming from with regards to polygamy laws. This is their lifestyle and their belief system, and whether the laws are enforced or not, or whether there is a threat of arrest or not, it has to sting knowing that there are laws in place that could be used against them at the discretion of law enforcement and the courts. Fighting for their rights and to get laws off the books is completely understandable. 

... but that is not how Kody characterizes things. His battle against the law is not based on principle. He tries to make it sound like he's literally about to be arrested and dragged off in handcuffs ...he's a felon,  the family could be torn apart and separated forever!  But none of this is true. Unless and until he or his family engage in fraud or child abuse they are safe. For all intents and purposes the law is off the books as far as it applies to the Brown family. 

As far as getting the law formally changed, that's not going too happen. Bigamy has always been illegal and it's going to stay illegal - and for good reason. If people were allowed to have more than one legal spouse it would be utter chaos for our legal system. Kody and his polygamist buddies have achieved as much as they ever will ... they can all live shacked up however the hell they want and go out in public as husband and however many wives. They're not going to be prosecuted. But bigamy is going to remain illegal in Utah just like it's illegal in every other state.  

To be honest I'm not even sure what Kody really hopes to achieve. He can't possibly hope to have bigamy made legal. He can't seriously believe that polygamists are going to receive some kind of special dispensation under the law. That will be unconstitutional.  You can't grant special rights based on someone's religion. I don't even understand what he and people like Joe Darger hope to achieve. 

• Love 9

Dear Audrey:  Please learn to use the correct "you're" when you mean "you are."

Pet peeve of mine.  My CPA cousin types your instead of you're, and it drives me nuts.  

Uh-oh, time to chase some kids off my lawn.

At least Meri has the room for them without remodeling?  Unless her 5 bedrooms are full of LulaNo shit.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

AND scared the crap out of all of those kids, many of whom were quite young.  Tore them from the only home they'd known and away from their friends all to fulfill his dream of living in LV.  Emotional abuse for sure.

Very true - thanks for adding that. Those kids are just pawns in the sick game that is Kody and the wives. 

• Love 6

What did Meri make that tweet in response to? I can't figure out this Twitter stuff. 

I would assume she's referring to her house as "home." What other place could she be referring to?  Are they moving in with her? Maybe it's just temporary. Isn't Mariah looking at grad schools on the East Coast? 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

So no, Kody, you are NOT about be arrested and you knew that/know that all along.

If LE wanted to arrest Kody, they would issue an arrest warrant for him and when he crossed the state line, they would arrest him. Simple. They would know when he crossed state line because they tweet every.step.they.make and they also have a film crew tagging along. But they haven't issued an arrest warrant for him because there isn't enough evidence for a judge to issue one. The End.

That tweet does make it sound like Mariah and Audrey are moving back to Meri's house. Hopefully it will just be for the summer. Unfortunately, I think it means they get another season since so many kids are moving home.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Very true - thanks for adding that. Those kids are just pawns in the sick game that is Kody and the wives. 

Yep - I thought the same thing.  The long arm of the law is NOT after you.  So why are you packing up in the middle of the night, possible leaving behind very precious things in terms of toys, blankets, etc - to live in Las Vegas?   The social work system would try VERY hard to keep families together not split them up.

31 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

To be honest I'm not even sure what Kody really hopes to achieve. He can't possibly hope to have bigamy made legal. He can't seriously believe that polygamists are going to receive some kind of special dispensation under the law. That will be unconstitutional.  You can't grant special rights based on someone's religion. I don't even understand what he and people like Joe Darger hope to achieve. 

I am not sure what he wants to achieve either.  All I know is to him, love should be multiplied, not divided.  God I hated that tagline.  

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Unfortunately, I think it means they get another season since so many kids are moving home.

You might be right. But to be honest, I found Audrey and Mariah really boring. They're just two random college chicks. Whatever. I don't care if they are sleeping together. Meh.

Maddie and Caleb are like watching paint dry. 

They may well squeeze another season out of TLC based on the kids returning home but it's not gonna do one thing to improve show in any way as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if Tony and Mykelty moved in with Christine it would be worth watching. We could start a betting pool on how long it would take Christine's (actually everyone's) little facade of loving Tony to crumble. Because you just know they can't stand him but they're so afraid of looking like bigots, etc. etc. It would be fun to watch that all fall apart!

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

What did Meri make that tweet in response to? I can't figure out this Twitter stuff. 

I'm not a twitterer either and can't even figure out how to embed the nifty screenshots.  Here's a transcript of the conversation:

Audrey Kriss:  *pulling my cup of noodle out of the microwave at my internship as someone walks up*  How's the intern life going?  I'm guessing your an intern right?  Yep.  I am a poor, hungry, intern.

Mariah:  I made you leftovers & you didn't take them...

Audrey Kriss:  OH YEAH.  I was in a hurry this morning and COMPLETELY forgot. Thank youuuu

Meri Brown:  I bet you guys can't wait till you move home!  :)

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

You might be right. But to be honest, I found Audrey and Mariah really boring. They're just two random college chicks. Whatever. I don't care if they are sleeping together. Meh.

Maddie and Caleb are like watching paint dry. 

They may well squeeze another season out of TLC based on the kids returning home but it's not gonna do one thing to improve show in any way as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if Tony and Mykelty moved in with Christine it would be worth watching. We could start a betting pool on how long it would take Christine's (actually everyone's) little facade of loving Tony to crumble. Because you just know they can't stand him but they're so afraid of looking like bigots, etc. etc. It would be fun to watch that all fall apart!

We could do a secondary pool to see which Brown will throttle him until his eyes bulge out of head first and when.  It really is only a matter of time.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

... but that is not how Kody characterizes things. His battle against the law is not based on principle. He tries to make it sound like he's literally about to be arrested and dragged off in handcuffs ...he's a felon,  the family could be torn apart and separated forever!  But none of this is true. Unless and until he or his family engage in fraud or child abuse they are safe. For all intents and purposes the law is off the books as far as it applies to the Brown family. 

As far as getting the law formally changed, that's not going too happen. Bigamy has always been illegal and it's going to stay illegal - and for good reason. If people were allowed to have more than one legal spouse it would be utter chaos for our legal system. Kody and his polygamist buddies have achieved as much as they ever will ... they can all live shacked up however the hell they want and go out in public as husband and however many wives. They're not going to be prosecuted. But bigamy is going to remain illegal in Utah just like it's illegal in every other state.  

Very good points. And yes, Kody is playing up the "OMG we are going to get arrested" drama for the cameras, for sure. But I do feel that this a real issue for polygamists, especially given that Joe Darger is a leader in the fight and he is not on camera. Well, he was, briefly, but from what I understand, he has refused offers to have his own show. That lends more credibility to this issue, IMO.

Not that I think being on tv is all negative, even for the Browns. I really feel they have broken down barriers, at least with regard to how polygamist families are perceived. That's not to say that it has made people want to run out and become polygamists. Probably just the opposite, lol. But I, for one, don't paint all plural families with the same brush now. It still looks like a terrible lifestyle for women, and I couldn't do it and wouldn't do it, ever. But they've definitely removed some stigmas, or at least made people realize that not all plygs are gross pedophiles.

Perhaps Kody and Joe Darger just want more concrete assurances that choosing to live plyg openly won't result in arrests, unless other abuses are also happening. It's all well and good that TPTB say now that they won't prosecute, but what about the next person in that position of power? 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

It's all well and good that TPTB say now that they won't prosecute, but what about the next person in that position of power? 

Polygamy has been practiced since the 1800's,  There are no recent cases of anyone being arrested for polygamy unless there were other issues - welfare fraud, sexual assault of minor in the guise of "marriage", etc.  Why would that change now?  If so, the courts and jails would be inundated - good grief, you'd have to arrest entire towns like Colorado City (population about 5000).  And what would you do with the thousands of kids left behind? If for no other reason, logistically it's just insane to think it would ever happen.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Polygamy has been practiced since the 1800's,  There are no recent cases of anyone being arrested for polygamy unless there were other issues - welfare fraud, sexual assault of minor in the guise of "marriage", etc.  Why would that change now?  If so, the courts and jails would be inundated - good grief, you'd have to arrest entire towns like Colorado City (population about 5000).  And what would you do with the thousands of kids left behind? If for no other reason, logistically it's just insane to think it would ever happen.

Indeed.

it would be like arresting everyone who has a joint (or a reasonable equivalent for personal use).  Unless you just wrecked into another's car because you were intoxicated from it or broke into your neighbor's house to steal it, chances are, when LEOs come into contact with you, it's no big deal, even though on a federal level, it's not legal.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Where would all these people be housed, if arrested?  I know nothing about how many jails/prisons are in Utah, but I think it is crazy to think that the law would arrest anyone unless they were also breaking other laws.  

Kody never met a camera he didn't like, and most of the family has become the same way.  Attention grab.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

alright, so if it's just so silly and insane to even think it would ever happen, what's the big deal to simply repeal the law regarding cohabitation? why not just take it off the books and remove all doubt?  I'm in agreement with those who say just because the AG says today they won't pursue it doesn't mean they or someone else won't tomorrow because regardless of what anyone says as long as there is a law against it, the government has the legal backing if they choose to wield it.

And just to clarify and reiterate, no one is asking for polygamy (or any of its variants) to be legal or even sanctioned, nor are they asking to be able to legally marry multiple people (or recognized civil unions), just that adult cohabitation not be illegal. 

And for the record, I would be vehemently opposed to legalizing polygamous marriages in any way shape or form.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

alright, so if it's just so silly and insane to even think it would ever happen, what's the big deal to simply repeal the law regarding cohabitation? why not just take it off the books and remove all doubt?

Because the reason they have the law in the first place is so they can have the additional charge when the shitty, greedy men spiritually marry and live with 12-16 year old girls. Although the law does not specifically state anything about religion, that is why the polygamists are pitching a fit. They know it is aimed at them and the creepers in their various sects. The only states that really have this problem is Utah and Arizona (because Colorado City is actually in Arizona), so they have the compact that addresses cohabitation and how to prosecute polygamy cases. It can be used in cases against adults when there were those additional abuse charges, but I would imagine it would be in those few cases where there would be some profound and serious abuses going on, and the AG's office felt the bigamy charges were warranted. An example could be where the patriarch is in his 50s, he is spiritually married to 6 wives ages 16-20 and they all have 2-3 children each. He is physically abusive to all the wives and children, the children are all neglected, and some of the wives are fraudulently bleeding the beast. The AG may decide that the bigamy charge would be appropriate for some of the spiritual marriages due to the totality of the issues in this situation. It is just another tool for the AG to use when prosecuting a situation that can range from benign (the Browns and Dargers) to horrendous (Kingstons and Short Crick). 

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 10