Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

6 minutes ago, Enero said:

They all look great!

I give them a pass on the excessive makeup while competing. Ice Dancing was, back then, the ice skating discipline with the most drama on and off the ice. I always felt like the heavy makeup and dramatic expressions while skating, was an extension of that drama as well as emulating the look of professional ballroom dancers. 

I also think it's kind of cool that all of them live quiet lives now. It's like they got out all that drama when they were young. And so this goes back to my theory that IN GENERAL figure skating seems to create nice, responsible adults -- eventually. The long-term trainwrecks like Oksana Baiul, Nicole Bobek, Christopher Bowman or Tonya Harding are rare. Today if you looked at Pasha Grishuk you'd never guess she was the 90's wild child. 

Here's another picture of Marina Klimova with her two kids:

image.png.051554b47a49c1a8930f0d323181333b.png\

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

And hilariously entertaining as the 90s were in ice dance, I so appreciate the return to actual DANCING we see now. Torvill and Dean, what do you doooooo?

According to this video from the 1994 Olympics, they are (in part) responsible for the trend of dying on the ice. 

• Love 3

How the hell Katarina Witt won with  watered down programs  in 1984 and 1988?

Don't forget that was back in the day where there were three parts to a skating competition: Free Skate, Short Program and Compulsory Figures. Just as with the short program now, you can't win the competition with CF, but you could lose it.  In 84, Brian Orser won both the short program and the free skate, but still lost because he was 7th on CF. Not only could CF leave you in a hole, but it took a lot of your practice time getting those things correct.  It left less time for perfecting all those complex jumps.

• Love 5
Just now, vixenbynight said:

Scott was telling some truths in tonight's Olympic Ice. 

I like honest/grumpy (his term) Scott! It was also cute that Tanith said that Scott's version of grumpy is akin to the hecklers in the balcony on The Muppets.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

What did he say? I missed it.

He talked about how you can't miss in the short program if you want to be taken seriously on the international stage. He also mentioned that you shouldn't give away that you made a mistake right after the performance because it gives the judges permission to be harsher. He ended with "If you're not selling it, no one can buy it."

It was especially funny when he mock-yelled "Take me seriously!" after Tanith compared him to the Muppets. 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Confession.

I watched Torvill and Dean's Bolero and was bored to tears.

For me it still holds up. The program was about ten years old the first time I saw it (via Magic Memories on Ice IIRC) and I remember thinking it was awesome.

And who was the Russian ice dance pair from the 90s who went pro and skated with that giant red sheet, and one of them fell under it? That was awesome.

I feel bad that this still makes LOL. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

This would be Klimova and Ponomarenko.

To see them in a more traditional, they did one of the best OD's ever choreographed in 1992:

Marina Klimova is now a choreographer and looks way better nowadays than the days of the Dracula make-up:

image.png.05a7c5b341cfa5c4b7dbd6c913375dc4.png

And their son is an ice dancer for the US. I believe he’s still a junior.

1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

Had a thought about Zag's never ending triples: maybe she's practicing that to pull it out in the gala. Not a lot of suspense she'll be in that, and they can do unauthorized moves in the gala still, right? I used to love Surya Bonaly and Scott Hamilton's backflips.

This is her exhibition program:

26 minutes ago, kili said:

Don't forget that was back in the day where there were three parts to a skating competition: Free Skate, Short Program and Compulsory Figures. 

True, but in the case of Katarina Witt, she was the exception to the perceived Soviet Block female figure skater stereotype. The SP and LP were her strengths, her compulsories were a relative weakness.  In her 2 Olympics, she was BEHIND the 2 American favorites, Sumners and Thomas after the compulsories.  Both Olympics she placed 3rd in compulsories, not  shabby but not exactly pulling away from the field.

Because I'm anal I'll admit I just looked up her compulsory figures placement at her World Championship competitions, 1981-1988.

11-9-8-1-3-3-5-1

Talk about a range...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

Part of that is programming throughout the rest of the year. I watched all the weekend NBC GP recaps last fall and they only ever showed men's and ladies'. Three of our dance teams went to the GP Final and they didn't even show dance at the GPF! But hey, they showed all the GPF ladies, none of whom were American. (I feel like I've seen Zag's FS many, many times and don't even really need to watch tonight.) They can't just keep showing our subpar women singles skaters and expect Americans to stay enthusiastic about skating. But there are multiple ways to market the dance teams, starting with the awesome, millennial-friendly Shibs.

I didn’t bother with NBC I watched the entire GP online. I wish Skating could go back to ABC/ESPN.

• Love 3

What is it with the French and costume changes? If I recall correctly, Laurine Lecavelier, another skater from French, skated to Grease and had a costume change during that number.

Edited by sweeks

I applaud something different.  I loved the AC/DC short program.

But that bit just now looked like she was embarrassed by the whole thing and she looked awkward and uncomfortable.

If you're going to do something different you have to own it.  She seemed awkward with the Beyonce in the SP too.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, sweeks said:

What is it with the French and costume changes? If I recall correctly, Laurine Lecavelier, another skater from French, who skated to Grease and had a costume change during that number.

Every time they do that, I stop watching the skating and start watching the costume.

Gawewwwd. Among all the talk of overused skating music in these Games, I’d just been thinking, “Maybe I missed it but we haven’t had to hear one damn POTO crap in seven events.” So what do we START the night with? 

(Sorry, I’ve irrationally hated that show since HS in the early 90s when every other girl I performed with who thought that, because she COULD hit the high notes in it, meant she SHOULD, and that she could do it well, and we should all be subjected to it at every solo opportunity possible. Hate.).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I always remembered her dramatic red hair from when I was young.

Get used to seeing them again. Their son, Anthony, is the US Junior Ice Dance Champion. I think it's cool to see the next generation going into the family business. I'm sure that when he's challenging at the senior level, there will be lots of cut away shots of Mom and Pops. 

Of course, if they're coaching him, that's another way we'll see them. 

It will be interesting if he gets to compete against Andre Bukin. 

• Love 2

If you can't medal, going out and kicking ass and doing your best skate ever has to feel tremendous.

But to do it on home ice?  I can't imagine how cool that must feel.

Good for her.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the regular Figure Skating forum, but TSL has tweeted that Jason Brown has left Kori Ade and is trying out for other coaches. ?

If true, it may be too little, too late.  He should have left her four years ago.  I know he more or less grew up with her, but she was only going to get him so far.  

Aw, Hungarian skater...CARMEN???  After Tuesday's AC/DC delight, this disappoints me in my soul.

• Love 8