Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

1 minute ago, nextian said:

That just sucked the life out of that room. Hanyu  was utterly amazing, completely deserving of that score, but I don't know how Nathan could follow it. Ugh. I really just wanted everyone to skate clean. And yes, the media pressure on Nathan has been unbelievable.

I had the same thought about Hanyu’s performance. I wish he was the last to skate just so we could end on that.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Heartbreaking for Nathan. Also, NBC should stop pretending they have nothing to do with pressure he is under.

It's the nature of the beast especially in the Olympics. The U.S. media is relentless and have been hounding him the entire games due to his potential to medal at the top of the podium and due to his record quads in his program. 

The media will hound, but you have to be able to handle the pressure. Nathan is young and inexperienced with this type of pressure. If he continues on after the Olympics and has success he'll get used to handling the hype.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 7

Gawd I'm still cringing for Nathan.  I feel for him.  We know he's capable of better, and so does he, and it just wasn't his night. Here's hoping he doesn't beat himself up so badly over this mentally that it mars the rest of his competitive skating career.  

The Russians...they just aren't doing anything for me.  Even if I'm not the biggest fan I can still appreciate artistry and ability - but their routines are just kinda rehashed stuff I saw thirty years ago.  It's just different outfits and different faces.  

• Love 10

Nathan's got two choices:  fish or cut bait.  He may not get an individual medal this Olympics (not without some huge help, anyway) but he can take this experience and use it to grow and have the major redemption story in Beijing or he can quit.  What kind of inner strength does he possess?

Edited by COESpiral
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I liked it until the singer started.  I'm not a music expert so I'm going to mangle this but the skating and music went well together.  The singer seemed to be singing in a style that didn't perfectly align with the beat of the music.  If I closed my eyes, which I did with the falls, the song and vocals worked together.  But I don't think it's meant to be danced to.

I don't know why they should.  He's getting pressure from everywhere. Pressure is part of the gig of being a frontrunner.  Nail this and the exposure could be very lucrative for him. 

There have been others who had the pressure and just threw down in a good way. 

2 minutes ago, Enero said:

It's the nature of the beast especially in the Olympics. The U.S. media is relentless and have been hounding him the entire games due to his potential to medal at the top of the podium and due to his record quads in his program. 

The media will hound, but you have to be able to handle the pressure. Nathan is young and inexperienced with this type of pressure. If he continues on after the Olympics and has success he'll get used to handling the hype.

I'm not saying NBC should avoid placing any pressure on athletes, but they should be a little more self aware. There are some athletes they hype when their event comes up. Nathan gets hyped constantly. They made him one of the faces of the games. If they want to talk about Nathan under pressure, fine, but it would be nice if their analysts realized that NBC is a big part of that pressure. 

• Love 2
Just now, COESpiral said:

Nathan's got two choices:  fish or cut bait.  He may not medal this Olympics (not without some huge help, anyway) but he can take this experience and use it to grow and have the major redemption story in Beijing or he can quit.  What kind of inner strength does he possess?

There's still the free. Honestly, I think he might make top 6.

Did you see how many bodyguards Hanyu has to travel with and how much media he deals with?  It is part of the gig, and Nathan couldn’t handle the pressure.  Not NBC’s fault.  Some can handle it (see Michael Phelps) and some struggle.  I feel for him; hopefully he can skate well in the free and end the Olympics on a high note.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I'm not saying NBC should avoid placing any pressure on athletes, but they should be a little more self aware. There are some athletes they hype when their event comes up. Nathan gets hyped constantly. They made him one of the faces of the games. If they want to talk about Nathan under pressure, fine, but it would be nice if their analysts realized that NBC is a big part of that pressure. 

They're just doing their jobs. This is not exclusive to the U.S. either. Look at the media hounding Hanyu and how Yuna Kim was under unimaginable pressure from country and media when she skated. NBC did the same thing they're doing to Nathan to Simone Biles at the 2016 Games. From the start they were going on and on about her winning (5) gold medals. The pressure was relentless. 

• Love 11