Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: He Said, She Shed

Claire's request to build a "She Shed" in their backyard is denied by the homeowners association and only Luke and Phil know the real reason why. Meanwhile Pameron lets Cam in on a family secret that forces him to visit Mitch's therapist to work through this new information.

So Phil thought the HOA actually turned down the She Shed, but thought he could install a batting cage without also asking the HOA? A She Shed (ugh) would be like a gazebo, a batting cage is ugly so it seems like he'd need permission. (Do you really need HOA approval for stuff in your backyard? I have no idea.)

Joe screaming into the golf bag was hilarious!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Artsda said:

WTH is a "She Shed?" Can't you just have a patio? A shed is to store stuff. 

Bad episode all around.

An (unfortunate) response to the "man cave" trend.  Both problematic concepts, for multiple reasons - with man caves, it's generally a reflection that the wife has the final say in how the rest of the house is furnished and decorated, and the man gets one room to put his stuff in; and on the flip side, it gives the man his own space to relax and usually has fun things like big screen TVs, games, etc., while the wife's space is the kitchen and shared with kids -- and usually takes the man away from the rest of the family for hours of a day.  So while men get usually a finished basement or a den inside the house to himself, someone came up with the concept that women should have their own space -- a shed out back that they can decorate all pretty and escape to.  Not the least bit appealing to me.  Rather than a man cave and a she shed, I'd do "my room"/"his room"/"our room."  If there are of course 2 rooms to spare in a house (e.g. an office and a guestroom can easily be converted into my "his room"/"her room" concept).  It makes sense for adults in a house to each have their own space to do what they want with.

This episode wasn't really interesting enough for me to have much else to say about it lol.   

• Love 7

I know I am not suppose to feel sympathy to little kids on tv shows, but Joe is just too precious. Especially the yelling part. He reminds me of my little cousin when he was around that age. I am sorry, but Joe kind of melts my heart whenever I see him with those big eyes. He is such a good little actor. The other kids I could take it or leave it.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Evangeline said:

An (unfortunate) response to the "man cave" trend.  Both problematic concepts, for multiple reasons - with man caves, it's generally a reflection that the wife has the final say in how the rest of the house is furnished and decorated, and the man gets one room to put his stuff in; and on the flip side, it gives the man his own space to relax and usually has fun things like big screen TVs, games, etc., while the wife's space is the kitchen and shared with kids -- and usually takes the man away from the rest of the family for hours of a day.  So while men get usually a finished basement or a den inside the house to himself, someone came up with the concept that women should have their own space -- a shed out back that they can decorate all pretty and escape to.  Not the least bit appealing to me.  Rather than a man cave and a she shed, I'd do "my room"/"his room"/"our room."  If there are of course 2 rooms to spare in a house (e.g. an office and a guestroom can easily be converted into my "his room"/"her room" concept).  It makes sense for adults in a house to each have their own space to do what they want with.

This episode wasn't really interesting enough for me to have much else to say about it lol.   

Yes, on the HOA having to approve any structure visible outside of the homeowner's yard.  Loved Clare monopolizing the batting cage, although her shoulder is going to hurt big time without moderation. 

I would LOVE to decorate a she shed, but I have the finished basement as my craft/sewing/reading room, so I don't need it.  

At my first house,  there was a  structure abt the size of a one car garage in my backyard, that was built to  match the house, lije a mini-me. Would have been perfect for a she shed, but this wasn't a thing 30 years ago.  I always meant to fix it up--it had windows,  and the interior was down to the studs,  but kids, jobs, and life was too busy, and neither hubby nor I was handy back then.  I would kill for that structure today , and it's still there cuz I visited family over the holidays and drove by. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Yes, on the HOA having to approve any structure visible outside of the homeowner's yard.  Loved Clare monopolizing the batting cage, although her shoulder is going to hurt big time without moderation. 

I would LOVE to decorate a she shed, but I have the finished basement as my craft/sewing/reading room, so I don't need it.  

At my first house,  there was a  structure abt the size of a one car garage in my backyard, that was built to  match the house, lije a mini-me. Would have been perfect for a she shed, but this wasn't a thing 30 years ago.  I always meant to fix it up--it had windows,  and the interior was down to the studs,  but kids, jobs, and life was too busy, and neither hubby nor I was handy back then.  I would kill for that structure today , and it's still there cuz I visited family over the holidays and drove by. 

I hate a make shift "man cave" but it's really just a small space that has my collectibles and a few other things. My wife does have her own "she shed" but it works about the same way. Our son has his "kids area" which is really his own play room. We have the house pretty spaced out and we still spend plenty of time with each other. The problem with the Dunpheys, is they basically are empty nesters (of course Haily will never get a life and move away). So having either a batting cage or a she shed doesn't really make much sense. Plus, after all these years, Luke still can't buy a clue from his dad that he doesn't do under handed or secret codes about doing things. Plus, I would have left Luke to Claire, he and Hailey need to be smacked some times. Same goes for Manny, still he is 19, and still acts like Jay and Gloria care about his crap. I'm not going to get into Cam's issues and the entire pre-teen party for Lily that Pam made even worst. I'm with Mitch, he has been going for 10 years and Cam can do just one session and the shrink think he has the best breakthrough ever. No, no he doesn't. He still makes it about himself and is a whiny baby when he isn't the center of attention. Cure that!

• Love 4

Did Pam bring lighters for the girls? To light cigarettes?

I liked Cam telling the 12-year-old that he hoped her dad was in fact working late, not  lying to her and her mom. That she wouldn't learn the awful truth when she was a 40-year-old man.

Then Mitch interrupting, "40? Speaking of lying dads...."

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Where was this HOA when the neighbor across the street had the naked statue on the front lawn or the pot dealer next door parked his boat in the driveway? 

I think the HOA comes & goes depending on the need for a story line.  lol

I would have liked to have seen more Lily.  Why is Pam still there?  I am really disliking Claire.

Not really a stellar episode.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

I would have liked to have seen more Lily.  Why is Pam still there?  I am really disliking Claire.

Not really a stellar episode.

I felt with both Claire and Luke this was a lot of pack peddling. This isn't Luke running for student office and thinking has to be "like Trump". Phil even told Luke how he could misread him like that or after all these years. Even the writers basically were saying: "Yeah, we know it goes against things, but we have no idea how to write this episode, so take your stupid pills." I also want to know why Claire needed a she shed. Goes back a year ago when they did a similar story line on Last Man Standing. Mike didn't want give Vanessa her space and make it like his own, he not only gets called on it, but why he felt to even have to think that way when most of the kids were out of the house. Claire acted like she has no "space" which is more bullshit. For Cam's reaction to things, that is along the lines of learning something at a much older age that makes you question things. However, the way both Pam and Cam had to go about how they "settled problems in the country" make me want to smack both of them. Pam is a horrible character and to not only do this to her brother, but also thinking she has to provide lighters and worried about having her boobs show for pre-teen to early teen girls made no sense either. Basically, people from the country are just brainless. 

• Love 4

Yeah, Cameron should still be in therapy. Of course, everyone on this show should be in therapy, especially the kids (and their constant state of arrested development) so I dont have much hope for that. Maybe theres a Groupon they can all use? 

I love Joe. I still think them adding a kid was pretty pointless (and a classic Cousin Oliver move) but god dang Joe is adorable. And the actor is such a little cutie and has great comic timing, especially for someone so young. 

Pam...still exists. Why is she still a thing?!?! We get it, country people are morons, can we get another joke please? 

"Your dad does magic and I break promises, we both know what we married". 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, Cameron should still be in therapy. Of course, everyone on this show should be in therapy, especially the kids (and their constant state of arrested development) so I dont have much hope for that. Maybe theres a Groupon they can all use? 

I love Joe. I still think them adding a kid was pretty pointless (and a classic Cousin Oliver move) but god dang Joe is adorable. And the actor is such a little cutie and has great comic timing, especially for someone so young. 

Pam...still exists. Why is she still a thing?!?! We get it, country people are morons, can we get another joke please? 

"Your dad does magic and I break promises, we both know what we married". 

Joe has worked very well, even I'm impressed and has worked with a lot of stories with Jay and Gloria because Manny is still the same character from season 1-2. While Jay and him have really come to common ground and even Jay showing he loves Manny. Manny is mini Cam, thinking its all about him with his "old soul in young body" crap. They still never explained why he was stealing things from the house when he would be pretty busy at school. In fact, Alex's appearances have been more realistic this season than Manny. Haily with all of Sarah's health problems the last year is better when she isn't around. Because Haily much like Manny hasn't moved beyond season 1-2 either. Yet complains how she hates where her life is, but does nothing to change herself. Seriously, I wish Phil and Claire would kick her out of the house, get rid of Pam and have her move upstairs to Mitch and Cam. That would make more sense than the utter suckage that is Pam. 

• Love 9

I think the reason why Nolan Gould(Luke) is not involved much in this series is because the actor is doing a lot of political stance on the environment and the LGTBQ community, not to mention featuring in a Logic music video as a gay teen. And this describes his limited time appearance on the show itself. He is taking a lot cues from Nick Jonas, who was doing this sort of thing two years ago with the LGTBQ. Not that I am against him, but, Nolan, whatever it is, follow what is right. You have a high IQ and you could do whatever you want. You are an adult.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Sorry, Cameron, you still need plenty of therapy, to address why you're one of the most insecure, childish, petty, selfish people on the planet.

No kidding. 

That was just a ridiculous plot and scene anyway. 

How many big birthday parties are they going to throw to try and win over friends for Lilly? 

Of course Cam mainly does it for himself, not Lilly.......maybe he should go into that with the therapist

• Love 3
1 hour ago, readster said:

all of Sarah's health problems the last year

I didn't know that was why she was missing. I hope she's OK.

1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

I think the reason why Nolan Gould(Luke) is not involved much in this series is because the actor is doing a lot of political stance on the environment and the LGTBQ community, not to mention featuring in a Logic music video as a gay teen. And this describes his limited time appearance on the show itself. He is taking a lot cues from Nick Jonas, who was doing this sort of thing two years ago with the LGTBQ. Not that I am against him, but, Nolan, whatever it is, follow what is right. You have a high IQ and you could do whatever you want. You are an adult.

I didn't know about that, either! I was just glad it seemed like they got his a little speech therapy so it sounded like he had only 1 or 2 marbles in his mouth instead of a dozen.

I was shocked that Lilly is 12. She still looks a lot younger to me.

I hope to never live anywhere with a HOA.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No kidding. 

That was just a ridiculous plot and scene anyway. 

How many big birthday parties are they going to throw to try and win over friends for Lilly? 

Of course Cam mainly does it for himself, not Lilly.......maybe he should go into that with the therapist

At this point in time, I don't get what Cam and Mitch are trying to do in these cases? Their daughter is a grade ahead, she is in middle school, started puberty, she was even able to babysit her baby cousin without much help. I'm surprised she doesn't want them less involve din things now. These other girls were pretty normal and didn't really know how a spa part was suppose to work and Pam was so clueless you think she was doing make up, smoking and wearing a bra at 15 to be that clueless on what 12-13 year olds are suppose to behave. Hell, I've seen 14 year olds wearing and knowing more revealing stuff than what Pam was in the mind set of. Seriously, Cam has turned into more than a man-baby than Dre on Black-ish and that's saying a lot. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was shocked that Lilly is 12. She still looks a lot younger to me.

Someone mentioned that it was an "older girls'" party, so I don't think that Lily is supposed to be 12 yet. (But then why would they even have such a party?) The actress was born in June 2007. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I dont know why that would limit his time on the show. All the kids have been featured less.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

If (and this is a huge if) the writers are being consistent with the past 8.5 seasons, Lily should be 10, since she turned 8 in The Storm (Ep 7.14) and was still 8 when she learned to ride her bike in Ep. 7.16 (which just aired here on rerun last night, so it's fresh in my mind).  She did skip a grade, so the other girls could be 12.  But continuity isn't always a strong suit here, unless it's convenient for a laugh.

10 hours ago, readster said:

Seriously, I wish Phil and Claire would kick her out of the house, get rid of Pam and have her move upstairs to Mitch and Cam. That would make more sense than the utter suckage that is Pam. 

This is an awesome idea!  Haley moves on from the basement, and Pam is out of the picture.  Perfect!

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Tosia said:

i would love that, what a great idea that was. i'm glad it's still standing.  

• Love 1

As soon as I heard “She Shed” I harkened back to women’s studies classes, learning about cultures that make women live in a hut outside the home when they menstruate. 

It made the episode less funny. A lot. 

• Love 2
On 1/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, Lizzing said:

If (and this is a huge if) the writers are being consistent with the past 8.5 seasons, Lily should be 10, since she turned 8 in The Storm (Ep 7.14) and was still 8 when she learned to ride her bike in Ep. 7.16 (which just aired here on rerun last night, so it's fresh in my mind).  She did skip a grade, so the other girls could be 12.  But continuity isn't always a strong suit here, unless it's convenient for a laugh.

This is an awesome idea!  Haley moves on from the basement, and Pam is out of the picture.  Perfect!

Wasn't the pilot epidode about Cam and Mitch adopting Lily as an infant?  That was in 2009.  There's no continuity.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2018 at 0:23 PM, Tanichka said:

Have they mentioned it before? It was definitely news to me! And the whole time, I couldn't figure out what on earth they were talking about, as the Dunphys don't live in a condo or 50+ community or anything, just a neighborhood. Is this a California thing? I'm confused. I've never heard of an HOA for a regular neighborhood.

Someone mentioned that it was an "older girls'" party, so I don't think that Lily is supposed to be 12 yet. (But then why would they even have such a party?) The actress was born in June 2007. 

Not to mention, weren't Cam and Mitch just complaining about their finances, what with Pam living upstairs rent free for the past year? A party for a dozen girls complete with all kinds of special hair products and makeup, etc. probably wouldn't be too cheap.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2018 at 7:32 PM, Mystery said:

Yes, why would a group of 12 year olds want to go to a younger girl's birthday party (unless she was a classmate.)

I kept thinking that the girls might have had fun if Pam had brought over her mysteriously absent baby for them to play with. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, deSchenke said:

Wasn't the pilot epidode about Cam and Mitch adopting Lily as an infant?  That was in 2009.  There's no continuity.

The original Lily didn't want to perform after she turned 3 and they recast her. Since the current Lily was two years older, they figured they could fudge the age range. Let's face it, even with Pam and her baby, the baby is basically the one that Mitch and Cam wanted to adopt about 5 years ago and gave the baby to Jay and Gloria. While Joe did work out in the long run, Pam has been a scenery chewer and just full of stupid storylines. Though I will give props to James Van Derbek being Bo.

• Love 1

Not sure if this has been covered but.....  How is Manny still a character.  I feel bad for him.  They started off bad with him being so pretentious.  Now hes just fudgin annoying. He doesnt fit in anywhere and seems to make the actors around him worse.  They maybe should send him to Europe for culinary school and write him out of the show while gone.

And what the heck was that ribbon routine at the end. Hes not even athletic.  Bad character

Claire needs rehab.  She drinks and smoke around the kids and then tries the do as I say not as I do thing.

There was a time Cam's neediness was semi-funny.  Now he seems to extra.  Everyone is supposed to coddle him and deal with him delicately, but he can say what he wants.  Im conflicted between, what could've worked, and what this show is actually turning into.  

Manny, Lilly, and Cam serve almost no purpose on the show

Edited by shawband
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shawband said:

Not sure if this has been covered but.....  How is Manny still a character.  I feel bad for him.  They started off bad with him being so pretentious.  Now hes just fudgin annoying. He doesnt fit in anywhere and seems to make the actors around him worse.  They maybe should send him to Europe for culinary school and write him out of the show while gone.

And what the heck was that ribbon routine at the end. Hes not even athletic.  Bad character

They also have him doing things that make no sense and have no resolution. I mean the episode before he was sneaking in and stealing things from the house. It went nowhere and just this episode, he is dying his hair blonde and gets his RIGHT ear pierced? I mean seriously? Hailey is no better, they have her doing almost the same thing every time she appears: "I have no money, no car, no my PHONE, oh wait I can live without them and I will learn... oh look new phone! and rich people are the best!" Wash rinse and repeat, again and again and again. Honestly they should just keep Joe and Lily with the occasional appearance with Luke, Luke is actually doing stuff. Manny to Alex should just go. 

• Love 1

Wait, Mitch has been in therapy for 10 years? I know there was an episode a few seasons ago where Gloria had a Groupon for family therapy sessions. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that episode, but didn’t Mitch resist the idea of therapy in that episode? I know at the end Mitch and Cam decided they didn’t need therapy because it just made them fight more. 

12 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Wait, Mitch has been in therapy for 10 years? I know there was an episode a few seasons ago where Gloria had a Groupon for family therapy sessions. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that episode, but didn’t Mitch resist the idea of therapy in that episode? I know at the end Mitch and Cam decided they didn’t need therapy because it just made them fight more. 

Yes, but who wants to use continuity. I mean a throw away line could have been: "I decided to go back into therapy because of my lost of jobs and stress the past 2 years. Cam didn't want to come because we both agreed, we fought more." 

• Love 1
On 1/7/2018 at 9:49 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yes, why would a group of 12 year olds want to go to a younger girl's birthday party (unless she was a classmate.)

I kept thinking that the girls might have had fun if Pam had brought over her mysteriously absent baby for them to play with. 

Lilly just skipped a grade (in the first episode of the season), so all her classmates are a year older than her.