Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Teenage Vampires and a White Russian

paulvdb

I liked Christy blackmailing the restaurant guys.

Bonnie sure got around.  I hope they are not going the route of Adam having a problem with Bonnie's sexual history.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I'm looking forward to Christy trying to juggle two guys next week.

• Love 5

I try to keep things in perspective and just laugh, but honestly.....Christy...they could turn the tables and prosecute her for theft.  Someone must know about her stealing and there are also cameras.   Oh, I missed some episodes.  Is she still in law school?  I found it a little odd that there isn't much mentioned about Christy's kids anymore. 

It was nice for Bonnie to care so much about her brother.  I hope that her brother will come around. I think that guy is pretty funny too. 

I thought that was a little too much sharing about Bonnie's  past sexual life too.  I mean, who blurts out that much stuff about you with another man.   I guess she's just not that sensitive. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I liked seeing this side of Christy.  We've been told how crazy, irresponsible and mean Christy could be when she was drinking, drugging, partying and breaking the law, but never really shown.  Getting sober and going to AA meetings doesn't make someone a saint.  Both Bonnie and Jill still have very negative personality characteristics to go along with their good ones, and so should Christy and everyone else.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Am I supposed to root for Christy, who is a terrible employee -- perpetually late, disrespectful to management, blackmailing her employer? Which steps are lying, stealing, and cheating?

Well, I root for Christie, in general, but am not rooting for her in this situation.  I would've really appreciated a conversation with her sponsor Marjorie about the tardiness and extortion.  I would imagine this is not the last we hear of Christie's junkie-like behavior.

• Love 1

I thought it was pretty funny the way she kept showing up for work even after she'd been fired. Then when her boss threatened to call the cops she asked how that would go - a small woman insists on working here for free. I guess Nate Corddry and Claudia don't run the place anymore. Wonder whether French Stewart is still the chef. 

• Love 5

I thought the Christy stuff was hilarious.    The fact that she just kept showing up for work and not letting her boss fire her and then blackmailing his boss.  Yeah in real life maybe not so much but then this isn't real life so I can disconnect and just root for Christy.     I also really liked Bonnie's story with her brother and having Bonnie have to go against her natural instinct and just let him crash and burn.  

• Love 6

Since it looks as if Christy wants to quit in 5 months anyway I really did not mind that bit of blackmailing. New manager should have agreed to her suggestion to work only for tips (though I'm not sure that'd be legal). Bonnie's struggle to help her brother was great albeit painful to watch. I also appreciated the writing for Adam and the scene with Marjorie comforting Bonnie - great episode.

• Love 5

I thought the Christy job stuff was funny, and I'm saying that as someone who absolutely hated all the restaurant characters from earlier seasons. Christy had worked at that place for years, and from what we've seen she's always been very good with the customers. Yes, in real life tardiness is not OK, and she should have given her employer a heads-up about her school schedule conflicting with her work schedule, but the guy was condescending to her, so I don't mind Christy throwing all of management's mistakes back in his face. Christy's subplot was also a good counterbalance to the heavy Bonnie/Ray main plot.

• Love 8
On 1/5/2018 at 7:52 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

.Christy...they could turn the tables and prosecute her for theft.  Someone must know about her stealing and there are also cameras.   Oh, I missed some episodes.  Is she still in law school?  I found it a little odd that there isn't much mentioned about Christy's kids anymore.. 

She is not in law school yet; she is applying. It has been noted here that they seem to have eliminated her kids as characters on the show but she did mention Roscoe once recently. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, GussieK said:

She is not in law school yet; she is applying. It has been noted here that they seem to have eliminated her kids as characters on the show but she did mention Roscoe once recently. 

Oh, ok.  I know it's tv, but, I wonder if she's looked into what crimes the state bar will accept as okay, before she pays for a legal education.   You have to be fingerprinted, do background check, etc.  I think that if she doesn't have felonies, she should be okay.  Considering that she's reformed and all. 

• Love 4

Yeah, I get it. But, they could have some fun with it.  For the Bar application, you have to list EVERY address that you have lived for most of your entire life. I'm not kidding.  That might be quite an ordeal for Christy.  I mean, maybe, Bonnie could help, but, it would likely be kind of ridiculous. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Another week goes by with no explanation of what happened to Roscoe and Violet, guess it's just me, stuff like that bothers me.  

At least they didn't just disappear, like Chuck Cunningham. Roscoe is living with his father, and Violet is an adult and probably living with some guy.

• Love 7

Violet got back together with Luke.  He now has a good job, and his own condo, but is still clueless.  Bonnie and Christy's discussion about it went like this:

Bonnie, "She's got bigger balls than the both of us."

Christy, "And now she has his."

From some of the comments Adam made this episode, I'm starting to wonder if he and Bonnie are going to break up again.

• Love 2
On 1/5/2018 at 7:52 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I missed some episodes.  Is she still in law school?  I found it a little odd that there isn't much mentioned about Christy's kids anymore. 

Christy is not in law school yet. She has 5 months of college before she is done. I find this timetable odd, but if she was going to school year round and some of those classes were online, than maybe it's possible. I'm also willing to accept that it's TV and roll with that. Violet is living with Luke (an ex-boyfriend she got back together with) and Roscoe is living his father and his father's wife/Roscoe's stepmother.

13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

they could have some fun with it.  For the Bar application, you have to list EVERY address that you have lived for most of your entire life. I'm not kidding.  That might be quite an ordeal for Christy.  I mean, maybe, Bonnie could help, but, it would likely be kind of ridiculous. 

This would be fantastic for an episode! This has so much room for humor. Depending on what questions there are, it could lead to a ton of flashbacks of events that happened before the series started. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I get it. But, they could have some fun with it.  For the Bar application, you have to list EVERY address that you have lived for most of your entire life. I'm not kidding.  That might be quite an ordeal for Christy.  I mean, maybe, Bonnie could help, but, it would likely be kind of ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Sarah 103 said:

This would be fantastic for an episode! This has so much room for humor. Depending on what questions there are, it could lead to a ton of flashbacks of events that happened before the series started. 

It could be an excellent episode because I've read that not only do you have to provide references but they can also ask those references for potential other people they should speak to who you may not know will get asked. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It could be an excellent episode because I've read that not only do you have to provide references but they can also ask those references for potential other people they should speak to who you may not know will get asked. 

This now officially has to happen. The episode is a mix of flashbacks to events that happened before the series started that we haven't seen and interviews with various people. It would be fantastic and a unique take on the typical clip show.  

• Love 7

I wish you guys wrote for the show because that is a FANTASTIC idea!!  I can see and hear it in my head.  I've always wanted flashbacks to drunk/high Christy.  Anna Faris over acts and mugs way too much in my opinion but I'd still love to see Christy all messed up. 

• Love 4

Lol, I think that most of the people who post on message boards like this, would do just as, well, if not better at writing tv scrips than the so called professionals. (With some exceptions.)   While Mom, has some issues, it stills makes me laugh and remains my favorite sit com.  I must be picky, because it's really the only sit com that I watch.  I've seen some funny stuff on Blackish, but, it still doesn't hold my interest.  I am optimistic about the new ROSEANNE show and hope that deliverers.  The return of Will & Grace isn't terrible, but, still doesn't hold me the way it used to.  I think that Mom deserves more credit.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think that Mom deserves more credit.  

No argument here; it's probably the most consistently funny of the shows I watch right now. Will & Grace would be a close second (loving the reboot!). I'm glad that Allison Janney is getting the recognition that she so richly deserves, but I'd love to see some of the other cast getting accolades - Jaime Pressly and Mimi Kennedy have given Emmy-worthy performances, IMO, and Ana Faris is well underappreciated.

• Love 7

i did like the way adam put bonnie in her place. she really does emasculate him at times and is too controlling. i hope they break up too. i wish we got more of the girls in the group and a little less of bonnie and christy. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Christy is not in law school yet. She has 5 months of college before she is done. I find this timetable odd, but if she was going to school year round and some of those classes were online, than maybe it's possible. I'm also willing to accept that it's TV and roll with that. Violet is living with Luke (an ex-boyfriend she got back together with) and Roscoe is living his father and his father's wife/Roscoe's stepmother.

I wish we had gotten some flashbacks this episode of the time Bonnie and Christy were talking about Bonnie bailing Christy out of jail.  One of the things I miss about Violet, is when she would screw up, she somehow managed to come out ahead financially by latching onto someone or something new.  It's like Violet learned from watching Bonnie and Christy, but she learned the wrong lesson. 

• Love 3

SunnyBeBe: there is so much more that goes into being a professional TV writer than posting a few good ideas on web boards. I agree, the idea of the show exploring Christy's references is a good one, but that's all it is: an idea. The difference being professional makes is being able to take that idea and turn it into a viable script in a week, and then going on the next week and doing it all over again, week after week. Comedy is *hard*.

• Love 8

On another note, I really wish this show would recognize the importance and usefulness of Al-Anon to help those with relatives and friends who are drinking. Bonnie could really use one of *those* meetings right about now.

• Love 2

I'm kind of disappointed they made Bonnie's brother an alcoholic and drug addict to.  I hope they don't do the same thing to Adam and his brother.

I hope they get back to more ensemble SLs.  I miss Marjorie and Jill.

1 hour ago, TigerLynx said:

I'm kind of disappointed they made Bonnie's brother an alcoholic and drug addict to.  I hope they don't do the same thing to Adam and his brother.

What is SLs? 

I think they wanted a character who was still actively using, in order to show that side of the issue. With Bonnie and Christy getting their lives together, and being really pretty consistently sober, they needed someone to highlight how it feels to be the sober one and how the dynamic looks from that perspective. Making it a family member is a different angle than when it's another person they met at a meeting, and raises the stakes.

• Love 3

Christy is not in law school yet. She has 5 months of college before she is done.

Well, then isn't she going to have to keep working for the restaurant for another four years? Why did she say she only needed five more months to graduate? (And I could have sworn she said "from law school.") I'm resigned that none of this makes any sense though.

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 5:35 PM, TigerLynx said:

22 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think they wanted a character who was still actively using, in order to show that side of the issue. With Bonnie and Christy getting their lives together, and being really pretty consistently sober, they needed someone to highlight how it feels to be the sober one and how the dynamic looks from that perspective. Making it a family member is a different angle than when it's another person they met at a meeting, and raises the stakes.

That's my guess to.  Plus seeing an addict from the other side of it is actually a good storyline.  Bonnie and Christy have always been on the side the one falling apart but now they are the ones who are sober trying to keep a loved one that way who doesn't really want to be.  Its an interesting storyline.  Plus my guess is that yes the writers do want an active user simply because the entire premise is built on addiction.    As much as we all want everyone to be happy and healthy there isn't really all that many stories in that.

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 6:22 AM, msrachelj said:

i did like the way adam put bonnie in her place. she really does emasculate him at times and is too controlling. i hope they break up too. 

I love Adam and would hate it if he and Bonnie broke up. 

• Love 3
On January 10, 2018 at 7:35 AM, Ina123 said:

I've watched "Mom" from the beginning. I'm always wondering in every scene with Wendy, "these two have got to be related".

Capture.JPG

It's possible. Howard's mother could have had a sister and depending on the age difference Wendy could be his aunt or cousin. 

• Love 3
On 1/6/2018 at 7:19 PM, LucyEth said:

Another week goes by with no explanation of what happened to Roscoe and Violet, guess it's just me, stuff like that bothers me.  

I would only be bothered if they returned.  The show is much better without them.

• Love 7

But we know what happened to Roscoe and Violet.  Roscoe prefers living with his dad and his dad's fiance.  Violet moved back and moved in with an ex-boyfriend.  It's not like they Mandyvilled them.*

The most I think I'd really want to hear about them is a "I just got off the phone with Roscoe.  He's doing well in school."

*West Wing reference.

• Love 7